My step daughter is doing things in front of my daughter I do not want her to: Advice?

As a past child care provider, this could be something to have looked into. Any pediatric provider can assist with an evaluation. If something is happening they can detect it. On another note, she has found an action that is pleasurable scolding her will not stop the behavior. If you are able to sit her down and explain that what she is doing should only be done in the privacy of her room she may lose interest and stop doing it. This behavior is also getting her alot of attention so it could be her way of getting a little more attention. Kids are so funny. Trust your instincts, make an appt with your doc. And talk with her mom.work together to see if she is seeing the same behaviors and find out her take on it.

3 Likes

The major red flag here is that someone told this child itā€™s a game! If a child were to be questioned that was just exploring they would use words like tickles or feels good not game! Someone taught either this child or her friend that sexual behavior is a game and at that age it is NOT a game it is supposed to be exploration if they are doing it on their own! But a child would never call it a Game! Thatā€™s what worries me! I know kids explore I have three sons that explored every since they potty trained. Boys have a tendency to flick there pee pee or pinch it or rub it I would imagine girls also explore the sensation. But for it to be being called a game thatā€™s strange! If nothing else contact mom or have dad contact mom ask, see response, get a name of friend, ask about friend, if there are any red flags during the conversation then YOU as the step parent needs to tell dad she needs to see a pediatrician and really think about getting CPS involved. It would be a shame to send them baby back and find out she has been raped or much worse! Always be cautious with children! Watch for red flags! Be their voice cause their voice isnā€™t that loud!

8 Likes

Instead of punishing her get her help. Shes being messed with :frowning:

3 Likes

Almost sure that kid has been sexually abused get her some help.

1 Like

abuse may be or experimenting with her body to get to know herself. Still should not do it in front of your daughter

She needs to stay away from your daughter. Sounds like sheā€™s being molestedā€¦ Donā€™t let your child go where she lives. Itā€™s sad but itā€™s your JOB to protect YOUR daughter. End of story.

Call child service for your stepdaughter and donā€™t leave your 3 year old alone with her right now your 8 year old needs help now.

5 Likes

Do not ask her anymore questions! Her father needs to call social services or a school counselor and report it. If you continue to question her and her behavior is because of abuse pushing her to answer question could taint an investigation. Let trained professionals help her.

5 Likes

To be honest, assuming everything happened as your step daughter described it, I would recommend encouraging your husband to explain to her that itā€™s not a game and no one else should ever be touching her that way, but if she would like to do so she needs to do it by herself. Definitely not punishing her and making her think itā€™s wrong. I would also DEFINITELY be making a call to her mother so she can make a call on behalf of the girl who taught her this. That is who I would really be concerned about in this situation.

10 Likes

This 8 yr old needs to stop being around who is teaching her this and have her checked for being molested she is acting like she has been.

My uncle use to do things to me and tell me it was a game and tell me to suck on him like a lollipop so if I were you I would get her seen by a doctor and after seen by a doctor contact her mother. I honestly believe she is being molested.

1 Like

She should not do it at all. Get to the bottom of this post haste. What would you do if she were your biological daughter? Also, get her mum and dad involved. If they do not support you, itā€™s okay to return to sender. As long as your motives are good, donā€™t get tripped up by step mum guilt.

She is saying her friend "taught " her thisā€¦ itā€™s masturbation, so at the least the other child has assaulted your child ( for lack of better term ) however even more importantly is the friend called it a ā€œgameā€ ā€¦ 1. Contact mom! 2. Contact cps. And do not make her feel ā€œbadā€ or punished .you do NOT want her to close down BEFORE she speaks with a professional about what happened to her!!! Keep a very close watch on her until you get her in but do this right away. There are TONS of flags here!!!

5 Likes

#1 touching your own body is normal at every age
#2 tell the step child that those things are done in private
#3 tell your child the same. No matter what, your child should be able to see all kinds of shit and not copy it. I know sheā€™s super young but still.
#4 someone should inform that other childā€™s mom cause sometimes children learn this from creepy adultsā€¦

5 Likes

does she or has she ever stayed over night at this girls house that she says tort her this discusting act no child at her age should be doing if your reply is yes whats the chance her friend is the abuse victim and shes teaching your daughter the horrible things that are happening to her

1 Like

Keep her away from your daughter before she gets molested

CPS needs to be involved in this ASAP. No doubt about it. If itā€™s nothing but healthy exploration, thatā€™s one thing but, let professionals do the questioning and investigating. Because, if it isnā€™t something healthy, you would never forgive yourself for doing the ā€œcomfortable thingā€ and letting it slide.

2 Likes

Get her help immediately, sheā€™s being abused!

3 Likes

Big time Red flag!! This is totally sexual abuse. Please report this immediatly it is our duty as adults to protect our children. Also dont punish her, she does not understand itā€™s wrong esp if an adult is telling her itā€™s just a game. Sheā€™s just a child.

1 Like

Please talk to someone because this story sounds so off! Something is wrong. Talk to her dad and mom and tell them the whole ā€œitā€™s a gameā€ and alarm her that this might be something moreā€¦!!

I wouldnā€™t punish her, but instead Iā€™d talk with her. And her mother. That sounds like the child has been touched inappropriately. Being curious is one thing, and totally normal but should be done in private. But sheā€™s saying she was shown this by someone else and that isnā€™t good.

4 Likes

Does your step daughter have adhd by any chance?

The reason i ask is because these things can be apart of having adhd.

But anyways.
A. Its normal for children to touch/play explore their own bodies. In saying this whats not normal is her telling you a friend taught her.

B. Iā€™d see if you can get her mum and dad together and have a talk with both of them and see if you can agree on the fact that something isnt right.

C. If nothing comes of that, Iā€™d call a counselor just to speak with the child and see what the child tells the counsellor.

D. If the counsellor comes back with anything nerve wracking then call cyfs/cyps.

You donā€™t want to be calling cyfs on a child who is partially in your care without getting the facts first.

1 Like

Why is she being punished??? This is not right, she is trying to tell you guys something, make sure youā€™re teaching your 3 year old the names of her body parts, vagina, boobies and that no one is allowed to touch these areas.

2 Likes

Something wrong get help for that child

1 Like

Sounds like either sheā€™s being molested by someone maybe even her friend and someone is molesting her little friend and telling her itā€™s a game Iā€™d be concerned

7 Likes

This is extremely disturbing. There needs to be an honest discussion between Dad and Mom first. Has she seen a difference in her childā€™s behavior? What is her take on this child and her family? How much time does your child spend with her or in her home? All are valid all indicate justified parental concern. It is important to maintain a calm NON accusatory demeaner. With her full understanding of Dad needs to contact his childs pediatrician for an indepth discussion. I would set up an appointment with the Dr. Make it when Dad can be in town for discussion/recommendation after her exam or appointment. I have worked with children that have been victims of sexual molestation. This could be no more at this point than curious little girls that enjoy the self gratification of masturbation or a cry for help. I also wouldnā€™t rule out her possiblely seeking attention. She may feel displaced in her fatherā€™s life by a younger sibling. You stated she doesnā€™t get to visit often. Whatever you decide I would address this issue as soon as possible.

1 Like

Itā€™s totally normal for an 8 yr old to be exploring her body, you need to address the other childs parents because children just need to be taught boundaries and privacy! Little girls definatly teach eachother things about there bodies but you need to tell them to be doing it in private in there own time. Not trying to catch her out for it. Itā€™s completely normal for her to be doing it to herself.

6 Likes

You need to have a serious talk with her mom and make sure her mom gets ahold of the other little girls mom. This is disturbing.

2 Likes

Guys how can you all say ABUSE!! This is the age they begin it to explore !!! Tell them the difference between right and wrong. When its appropriate and when it isnt. But yelling abuse and punishing a child for figuring out their bodies is crazy. Talk to her mom and find out more before you have the child taken by CPS

11 Likes

Take her to be check out by a doctor immediately. She is being assaulted. Keep her away from your daughter

Sexual abuse. Call CPS. Normal children dont know anything about touching their privates. PLEASE dont blow this off. She could possibly be sexually abusing your daughter.

1 Like

Sounds like sheā€™s being abused

1 Like

Learning to touch yourself is ok. If a friend really taught her this thatā€™s ok too. She does need to know itā€™s only appropriate in private when no one else can see. The parents of the friend should know

2 Likes

All the fixking cops and take that baby to the hospital clearly something NOT OKAY is going on and she thinks sheā€™s doing whatā€™s okayā€¦ Donā€™t send that baby back until you get to the bottom of that

Yep. Sounds like sheā€™s being groomed speak up and protect your own child the stepdaughter must always be in visual sight or your own kid will have issues. This is not appropriate when she goes to school ee unappropriate and now becomes a part of her school record for being reprimanded for that. Maybe not but an alert teacher whoā€™s responsible as a first-line reporter is going to write it down to protect themselves as well as a child. Get with it get strong

I donā€™t think you should be punishing her but instead look further in as to why her ā€œfriendā€ started doing this.

As far as this being normal, yesā€¦ I have a boy and heā€™s starting to get curious about his parts but we talk to him about this and hope he understands

1 Like

I would make an appointment with your pediatric care physician. Unfortunately with these kind of situations, itā€™s not so black and white but all the gray areas inbetween. The doctor could do an evaluation. Find out if the child is seeking attention ( even if itā€™s negative) find out if she honestly likes to pleasure herself or if sheā€™s being abused. As a mother of 4 ( 3 of which are girls) Iā€™ve never dealt with this nor do I think itā€™s typical 8 yr old behavior. I think itā€™s odd and definitely should be treated serious until you get all the proper info to dismiss it. Even as far as possibly finding out about the friend?

Rather than punishing her, send her somewhere private. It is completely normal for a child to explore every part of their body, but she needs to learn certain parts of her body require privacy.

1 Like

Though I agree that this young girlā€™s other parent should be spoken to regarding this situationā€¦

Do not shame her. There is nothing wrong with masturbation, and this should be explained to the girl. Shaming her will cause a sort of complex, possibly even making her feel unsafe talking to you or expressing herself to you in the futureā€¦ Teach her the appropriate times to touch herself (for example only in privacy, only in the bath, etc), and the appropriate manner in which to do so (for example not in front of other people, never use dirty hands, not to let anyone else do it to/for her, etc.).

Additionally, now may be the appropriate times to discuss consent and boundaries. Television and other media outlets have changed things in these younger generations. Making information - good and bad - available to young people; people who are too young to understand sex and love are surrounded by it. Times have changed.

She is still young, but has clearly learned that it feels good to touch that part of herself. This is something that every girl and boy will experience in their own time.

Best of luck in your situation, I hope you find answers that help you.