My stepson still pees the bed at night: Advice?

You lost me the minute you said not normal. If you speak to a physiotherapist, they will tell you that it is actually normal. My son went through it for 13yrs… they grow out of it. Put a waterproof mattress protector down.

Step 1. Dad doesn’t need to wait for the mother to take him or get approval…just make the doctors appointment & take him
Step 2. Follow medical advice :+1::+1:

4 Likes

Does he do this at Mom’s? If not then she isn’t going to believe you or see importance in taking him in. I have an almost 7yo who still wets the bed. 2 different peds have told me he’ll outgrow it. But he’s younger than your stepson. Why hasn’t your husband taken him to an urologist? I know you say mom has insurance, blah blah blah. There’s mothers who take their kids to the Dr all the time with Dad having insurance. I had to pay out of pocket because my kids got sick while dad had insurance. He wouldn’t give me the insurance info. Your husband needs to handle this. You are NOT Mom. You have no say in medical decisions. Get him a good matter cover for now. Insist on dad being a parent & taking him to an urologist. If this is only happening at your house then it can be emotional. Seek help from a phycologist.

Louise Hays book says it represents fear of the father if hes still peeing the bed.

How do you actually approach the situation when it happens? Bc if you’re negative at all (verbally or physically) it can make it worse. Please be careful how you speak to him when handling waking him up in the middle of the night to go - when you’re telling him no pop and no liquids after 7 & when you’re comparing him to your son. This is embarrassing to him.

4 Likes

Hes probably really embarrassed about all this please remember that when discussing situation around him. His father or yourself should have had him at a doctor. If his mother isn’t doing it yous have a responsibility to keep him safe and healthy regardless of upsetting his mum.

I wet the bed until I was like 12 but grew out of it eventually. I’m also not sure why you have to wait for mom to make the dr. appointment. Take him yourselves

Bed pad and alarm, what a paediatrician will say to do firsy

1 Like

It’s often from anxiety about something I’d stop liquid from 5pm and buy some urals from the chemist he may have an underlying bladder infection due to peeing and laying in it

Listen to the kids doctor. They’ll grow out of it. I was 12 when I fully stopped wetting the bed. Some kids take just a little more time.
If one big concern is the mattress, then buy a big plastic mattress bag and wrap the mattress. Honestly if you’re waking him several times a night I don’t know how well rested he will be.

Have dad make the appointment and take him in. Done. Settled.

2 Likes

He could have renal problems that they don’t know about my son has hydronephrosis of the kidney and some kids pee a lot all day long my sons dr told me it was normal at first until I kept asking for an ultrasound turns out he had the hydro and now sees a nephrologist maybe you should get a second opinion

Dad can take him to the doctors without the mothers permission or knowledge. The sons behaviour can mean that there is something wrong. Either something traumatic or an underlining health problem.

6 Likes

Have your husband call his pediatrician with questions! Definitely not normal! Also, get a waterproof mattress cover! Maybe even try a heavy pad in his pull up? Puppy pads? Poor boy something needs to be addressed!

Take the kid to the dr. I know its a think in some families. My sister wet the bed I to her teens and as an adult still has some accidents. Its a trait in my stepdads family. Why is he waiting?? Hes a parent. He doesn’t need moms permission.

Why cannot his dad take him to urologist . Cut off liquids at supper. Take him to bathroom when you go to bed. So.E boys sleep have immature bladders and some sleep Too sound

1 Like

The boys shouldnt need to be sleeping in the same damn bed anyways!! An I would bring him to see his doctor bc my youngest was doing the same thing an he has ADHD an is now on medication an has not pissed the bed in over 3yrs

My niece had that problem but stopped about 9 or 10

1 Like

I have a few questions.
Why are they sharing a bed at all? It sounds like they have their own beds.
How often do you have him? This is worded like it happens every single night, but if your waiting on Mom to take him to the drs, you must not have primary residence… so does it only happen at your house?
And why doesn’t dad make an apt and take him?
There’s something off about this scenerio.
:woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Sometimes that can be a sign of anxiety or something is wrong. Maybe take him to talk to someone. It cant hurt

2 Likes

Set and alarm for yourself half way through the night or just before the time he usually wets the bed. Wake him up and have him use it until his bladder is empty. Try this every night until he makes it a routine for himself.
Plastic covers over the mattress.
Patience and confirmation from you and his dad that it will go away.
And a trip to the Dr just to be sure it’s not a more serious issue.

2 Likes

My son had this problem and his was actually physical. Sometimes their bladder and the wake up cue doesn’t seem to mature at the same rate. The pediatrician said they could put him on meds but would require constant monitoring of his liver. He out grew this problem as a teen. However emotional issues can also be a problem for some children as well. I wish you luck!

4 Likes

You might want to cut the liquids sooner than 7 and get him checked have them check for diabetes. If he is drinking a lot and peeing alot that is a sign of diabetes. Prayers for you all

I have heard this is more common in males. I am 72 but as a kid I had the same problem probably until at least 10. I was a very sound sleeper and would dream that I was on the toilet and flood the bed :pleading_face:. I don’t remember ever being taken to the Dr fo the problem but I did outgrow it. If it were my child though I would check with a Dr.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND THE LITTLE BOY :heart:

3 Likes

my son is almost 4 and doesn’t have accident anymore so personally I don’t think it’s normal. It breaks my heart to think his mom doesn’t even bother to care. It’s not like it’d hurt to go :weary:

3 Likes

These chucks are so much easier than a mattress pad and you only have to wash them then the entire sheets. Just have him lay on it. Just helping make it a little easier. My step daughter had the same issue. I had her help me wash everything instead of getting upset with her. It’s not like she understood why.

1 Like

Plastics sheet is what my mom used on my sibling when they were kids. I’d say he Will outgrow it but my grandma told me she Peed the bed until she was 18 years old and married to her husband. :grimacing:

A friend of mine her dad still peed the bed way up into his late 30s. She said her grandma never took him to the Dr thinking someday he would out grow it. Don’t. Wait take him to the Dr. U r also his parents and have rights please take him

1 Like

my daughter had the same problem when she was younger. We found out she was allergic to red food coloring and probably some other food color. It can be handled but it’s a lot of work to make sure to get it out of their diet since it’s in everything. Good luck.

Night dryness is hormonal. You can’t make it happen. Making a big deal is probably pretty upsetting for him. Get a good mattress protector.

1 Like

First buy a mattress cover, this will stop the pee from going thru to the mattress. Then definitely bring him immediately to urgent care if you can’t get an appointment soon. I like the suggestion of going to a urologist. Maybe back up the time you have him stop drinking like 4 or 5 o’clock.

My son had the same issue until he was close to 11 yrs. old. I can’t explain it but all of a sudden it just got better. He had a few accidents after that but hasn’t had any issues since. I think it’s just something their bodies grow out of at their own pace.

1 Like

From my own experience, I wet the bed till I was nearly 13! Every single night! Went to all kinds of drs and they couldn’t figure it out! My mom was even told to take me to a chiropractor but nothing helped! I eventually just stopped! Until I stopped I had to have one of those plastic mattress covers on my bed and my mom even put a sheet over that and then a heavy duty black garbage bag on my bed with another sheet on top of that so when it happened all I had to do was pull the top sheet off and the garbage bag and wash myself and go back to bed! I was made to feel ashamed like there was something wrong with me! Even tho no dr could figure it out! But could I private message u? Or could you message me?

3 Likes

Definitely no harm in having him see a pediatric urologist, but it honestly could be completely normal because some boys just take much longer to not wet the bed at night, and that’s exactly what a pediatric urologist told me when I had my son checked. Making a big deal about it doesn’t help him at all. Plastic sheets, loads of encouragement and acceptance… honestly the most abnormal thing in your entire post to me is that you’re upset 2 boys can’t share one bed…

2 Likes

You may want to talk to him! When a child is going through psychological distress, even something small, it will cause him to have problems. Theres matress covers and everything you can get, but not a lot can be done. It took my little brother till he was 12 to stop because of his ADHD was so bad no matter how often he was woken up throughout the night he would still be soaked by morning. But talk to the doc or have your husband do it. Either way, it is probably just something henwill have to outgrow.

Following…my son is 6 and has the same problem! Our pediatrician says he will outgrow it but I feel like there is more that could be tested for or done for him. I feel so bad that he is still in pull-ups every night :pensive:

1 Like

Needs to have his bladder checked…sounds like when he goes he doesn’t finish…may need bladder stretched…two nieces have had to have it done for wetting bed and clothes

I’m taking my 7 year old to the chiropractor. There is an adjustment they can do that may help with the problem.

Boys bladder sometimes doesn’t grow as fast as they do,it is normal… get plastic sheets… my son was 11 before he stopped

Take him out of thpse diapers! That is more scarring for him then wetting to bed. My son had a bedwetting issue. The doctor told me not to worry, he’d never seen a patient go off to college still wetting the bed. Get a matress protector and a water proof mat. That way only the mat needs washing. Get a couple. At this point he is probably dting of embarrassment. Please, PLEASE don’t make a big deal out of it. Some kids just sleep so hard they wer the bed. I promise he does not get in bed every night and say 'hmmm, think I’ll wer the bed tonight. Have him bring the pad to the wash machine every morning but don’t make a big deal. And hugs go a really long way

1 Like

Try sugar free fiber gummies…my son is 14 and he hasn’t had accidents in a few years…it may not be him but just something in the body that triggers it and he doesn’t feel it…nothing to shame but check with a pediatrician, gotta help our babies out without making them embarrassed about it…

I understand! I do agree to have him checked by urologist. However, it may be something he needs to grow out of. My stepson is just shy of 13 and still pees. The last 2 months has seen considerable improvement, but it did just happen last night. We have tried EVERYTHING- no liquids after 7, no high water content fruit, no chocolate, no caffeine, etc. He pees before bedtime, my husband would take him to Pee before he went to bed, and would then take him to pee around 5:30 am. My stepson is a very heavy sleeper. His father was also a bed wetter. We tried medication when he was 6…it gave him horrible anxiety. He did stay dry at night, but not because his body was ready to stay dry-only because of the medication. We’ve just dealt with it-no shame, no punishment, no stickers or rewards if you stay dry. He can’t help that he wets the bed so it “just is what it is”. I wish you continued patience and to please know that I really do understand all you are going through.

6 Likes

Ok from experience with son, he started doing this when he was stressed out , we noticed that it began when my partner and I were having problems and moving homes. So check on him maybe he is not feeling well emotionally . My son stopped once we stopped having problems and also didn’t let him drink anything 2 hrs before bed

1 Like

I was a bed wetter passed age of 10. He’ll grow out of it. My parents took me to the doctor and they have a nasal spray that ended up making me not pee for over 36 hours. So my mom said screw that and eventually I out grew it.

Also, get a good, waterproof mattress protector. Then put a washable Pee pad on top of that, then a fitted sheet, then another washable Pee pad, then another fitted sheet. We stopped using the top sheet and comforter. You can strip down a layer at night if he wets very quickly. We also would just give him a blanket to cover with and had extras in case we had to strip off a layer of sheets through the night. Wash all wet sheets and pajamas on very hot water with detergent and vinegar on the sanitary wash of your washer.

3 Likes

My nephew had the same problem up until he was 13 just a good bed cover also he used a thick sleeping bag to help prevent it from getting on the bed.

Please get him checked. A friend of mine had the same problem with her son and turns out he has diabetes which is life threatening so please please please get him checked out.

1 Like

My sons doctor said it was more normal for boys and he would grow out of it about the time puberty hit and sure enough when he was 11 and starting puberty he did grow out of it
We had every test imaginable done and nothing was wrong with him

Find a pediatric urologist…my grandson has a form of kidney disease and this is one of the most over looked symptom…it is not normal

1 Like

We set an alarm to help wake our son so he’d get up to go to the bathroom. ( we got up with Him) He needed to break that deep sleep and it worked.

The doctor is right you’re not a doctor. You should listen to the doctor sympathize with your stepson poor kid. I can only imagine how y’all make him feel.

1 Like

Have you took him to the Dr my son has an abnormally small bladder and an overactive bladder the Dr gave him so medicine and he hasn’t peed the bed since

I don’t have much advice but my little brother was handicapped and in diapers. We would get a waterproof matt

First make the bed with a waterproof mattress protector sheets, mattress protector then sheets. So every night you have a fresh set

There are alarms made for kids. It’s a screen they sleep on that goes off when they pee. I struggled with it as a kid and that is what my parents used and helped me

I would put down a plastic mattress cover under the sheets and pads. As far as the dr goes, I’d have your guy take him since hes the father.

Boys bladders do not mature as fast as girls and this is normal. Don’t make a big deal about it it is embarrassing enough for him. Is it a lot of work for you? Yes it is but try to be understanding. It will pass.

I’m 31 now and had that issue my entire life. I don’t remember exactly who we saw but they had given me a special water sensor to sleep on top of when I was younger, before 2nd grade, but I was such a heavy sleeper that I didn’t hear it or wouldn’t rest well because of it under me, etc. I tried several different things like less restrictive underwear, more restrictive, no underwear at all at night, and yes diapers. Eventually I learned more about myself and it seemed to be related to my body temperature. Even though I’m a super heavy sleeper, I do move sometimes getting uncovered, etc. If I get too cold or so hot that I sweat and that cools, then it happens. Like my body trying to warm myself. Idk I had to find the perfect blanket that’s not too hot or cold. I only ever have issues now if im over exhausted, or there was some crazy sex involved or if I’ve had a few drinks. I hope it works out for you all. Try not to worry or have outward frustrations but definitely teach them how to help with laundry and get a cover for the mattress, and what we call Chuck pads in the nursing homes, they have a resistant backing so it should keep it better contained to not get through to the mattress

If mom won’t take him to Dr. dad should just do it. Maybe the poor kid has diabetes, who knows.

My daughter peed in bed until 10

She was a Hard sleeper and cant feel it .She asked us to wake her up at 2am in the morning.
She hated peeing in bed.
Just make sure bathroom before bed and he’s Not constipated
Theyll grow out of it

According to our pediatric urologist it is not considered an issue until after the age of 12.

Maybe your husband can get his own private ins for him and take him. Obviously talking to the boys mother isnt working

You can also buy a plastic matress cover for bed at Wal-Mart. Not normal an yes I would go to pediactric urologist

I wouldn’t ask her if I could take him I’d take him to the doctor and find out what’s going on

4 Likes

Get him checked he could have an underlying issue that needs to be made aware of and maybe meds.

My daughter’s friend took a pill because of this up past 4th grade

MYOB but most likely as two are affected children trauma related due to developments leading up to the seperation.

Look up hypnosis for bedwetting on YouTube…it was a game changer for my kids

Io proverei con il fiore di Bach”aspen “ … di solito quando fanno così hanno paura di qualcosa .

Have him checked for diabetes. Urinating a lot is one of the symptoms. Best of luck. May God Bless.

1 Like

Bring him to a chiropractor. It will help.

He needs to see a urologist and get him tested for diabetes.

Sounds like a medical problem. Instead of asking FB maybe get a good pediatrician.

Take him to the dr. Dont wait… just do it

1 Like

He has juvenile diabetes

This too shall pass it’s not forever.

I had this same issue with my son until he practically turned 11. The urologist visits and they tried prescribing him a medication which I rather wash sheets daily myself than him result in those side effects. One thing that was told to us is that my son didn’t urinate completely during the day. He should have a steady stream and empty his bladder rather than the stop and go. And believe it or not constipation cause also cause the nightly accidents. My son was always a heavy sleeper and since he was a baby always urinated more at night. I would have to change him 5-6 a night. We fought this long and hard and the doctor told me I was enabling him by buying him pull-ups. I was so upset so I stopped. But it is very hard and tiring and stressful for him especially to wake up wet. We just never made a big deal about it, it was like hey good morning you had an accident ok go wash your sheets and pjs as we taught him, and shower. This helped a little with accountability but didn’t stop immediately and I would limit sugar and liquid intake on him daily. Wake him up 3 times a night and he would sometimes already be wet. I know what I’m saying is not helping cause my son finally outgrew it, he’s had less than three accidents in 4 months and now he can confidently sleepover his cousins house without that hovering over him. I can only say it will
Eventually stop. Now, as for me- I myself wet the bed until age of 8, and it was not until I went to an ENT and they removed my tonsils and adenoids-
That helped me. We are all different but there’s my personal advice on the matter and things that may be causing his accidents. I’ll pray for a The sweet boy and all his caregivers cause I know it is so hard and frustrating and definitely not fun for anyone to have to wash sheets every :clap:t3: single :clap:t3: morning.

It can be normal. His bladder may not be fully mature yet. I wet the bed for a while well after I was potty trained. I believe until around that age or so if I remember correctly. Some kids just take longer. Just encourage him, make sure he knows it’s not ok to do that but at the same time let him know he won’t get in trouble. Just set a firm schedule. Cut drinks and food 2 or 3 hours before bed until his bladder has a chance to mature a bit more

2 Likes

Have his dad take him to the doctor. He has just as much rights to take him, regardless of what his mother says. Wrap his bed in plastic wrap. It’s easier to wipe off and wont ruin the bed. They make them for beds. But I think your doing as much as you can by taking away drinks and such. He could have something wrong with his kidneys, so like I said, regardless of what mom says, his dad needs to take him anyway.

4 Likes

Cover his bed with plastic matress cover like on baby matress, get up at 2am to take him to the loo, he will eventually start doing it by himself. Always make sure he go to loo before sleep, even if he has fallen asleep. This can also be caused by any kind of stress.

1 Like

He needs to pee more often during the day. If he holds it his bladder could have nerve damage from distending so often. It should heal up at his age if he goes once a hour dyring the day for a month or 2. It did wonders for my autistic son.

My setup son had the same problem and up until recently was doing it consistently every night as well. He just turned 12 we found it works best for us is waking him up when we go to bed and at 2am and having him go to the bathroom. He’s a very sound sleeper so he cannot wake himself up when he has to go. Some children just develop in their own time. Be patient with him keep being persistent and if you truly feel like something is wrong and keep pushing to see the doctor use your gut instinct every child is different.

5 Likes

I just went through this with my daughter! She had kidney reflux and a small bladder! Surgery corrected the kidney issues and she was taught techniques to retrain the bladder!! It’s most definitely NOT NORMAL, and he should see a urologist! It could end up very bad! My daughter was getting constant and consistent bladder infections and UTI it was very bad! Don’t over look this!

6 Likes

your taking taking the right steps. he will grow out of it eventually one of my kids was almost 11 before it happened. baking soda on the mattress will help soak it up. and keeps the smell away. unfortunately it is embarrassing so be careful how you approach. but on the other side dad has just as much right as mom if you truly feel something is wrong.

I son peed the bed aswell. Doctor said the nerves from his bladder to his brain are weak. They prescribed him a medication he took for about 6 months and he stopped. Been off it since he was 8. Another thing to observe does he drink ALOT during the day? Feel constantly thirsty? My brother did the same thing until he was 13 until he was put on the medications. Your husband has every right to take him to the doctor. He can make an appt and take him.

Most likely his bladder isn’t growing at the same rate as his body. This is very common and can happen into their teens. Don’t make a huge deal of it, continue getting him the adult pull ups, he’ll grow out of it.

According to our pediatric urologist 1 in 4 kids wets the bed at 9. 1 in 5 at 10. And 1 in 7 at 11. 1 in 9 at 12. At 12 is when it’s officially a medical problem and they should see a doctor. This is because at the early stages of puberty the bladder and brain finally fully sync up. Pre puberty it isn’t there for all the kids.

However, desmopressin is a pill that can be taken at night, prescribed by a doctor, and is very effective in helping to link the brain and bladder.

1 Like

Both of my boys do this. They both sleep extremely hard. My 5 year is better about getting up to use the bathroom and doesn’t wet as much as my 10 year old. At age 6, I believe, the doctor can prescribe a medication called desmopression, it helps to slow the bladder. The 10 year old saw an urologist, we were told his bladder is over active. He uses the bathroom a lot during the day as well. We too were told they would grow out of it. We were also told unfortunately, for my boys its hereditary.

Also, I agree no matter who’s insurance he’s on, Dad should take him to be seen about! Good luck!

1 Like

Hubby needs to take his kid to the dr. NOW. He doesn’t need his kid’s mom’s permission to take him to a dr, therapist whatever. GO

3 Likes

Often the bladder of a boy doesn’t grow at the same rate as his body, causing bed wetting. But his bladder will get stronger as well as bladder urgency signals. Please don’t make a big deal of it. He’s probably confused & humiliated already. This will pass.

Can try a chiropractor. That helps some with the issue. But majority of the time it truly is something they will grow out of it. Rarely even kids continue with this issue into adulthood.

3 Likes

My daughter did this until her early teenage years. She may have even been 15-16 the last time she did it. She is 19 now and of course doesn’t wet the bed and doesn’t have any unrinary issues. I believe her issue was she slept too hard. (We visited the urologist twice, she peed at friend’s houses and was embarrassed and washing the sheets every night was frustrating but we got through it.)

2 Likes

My oldest wet the bed until he was getting ready to turn ten. One day it just stopped. There is medication that they can take nightly that can calm an overactive bladder. We tried it once. Doubled the dosage. Tried again. Still no results. We bought a bed wetting alarm and still had issues. My son is just that heavy of a sleeper and that was his problem. There’s no reason his pediatrician should be against trying the medication though. It works immediately so you try it a week and stop if it isn’t effective. I know how frustrating it can be. I promise there is an end in sight.

4 Likes

My daughter is 8 and wets the bed. At her most recent doctor visit, I asked her pediatrician if we should intervene now that she’s 8 and she said we shouldn’t worry at all. My husband was a bedwetter until he was about 11 or 12. She said our daughter will most likely stop wetting the bed at around the same age as her Dad stopped. She said it’s absolutely nothing to worry about. I agree with the other posters about not making a big deal about it because it’s something that is already incredibly embarrassing for them. They will grow out of it eventually!:blush:

3 Likes

Stop making a big deal about it, it’s probably embarrassing to him. My son went through the same thing until he was 12. The pediatrician said sometimes their bladder control don’t progress as fast as they grow & some kids are heavy sleepers.

10 Likes

My son would pee all the time and I would take him to the same doctor and nothing would change finally switch doctors. His tonsils were enlarged would block his throat and adenoids as well were enlarged and he would stop breathing at night. His organs would shut down and that’s why he would wet the bed. He had surgery to remove adenoids and tonsils and never peed on the bed again. He was 7 at the time his tonsils were removed.

1 Like

You should have a say but your husband should be your voice! He’s the boys dad so his mom might be receiving of the info if it’s coming from him. Is there anyway to you can get the boy seen by a doctor without telling the mom? Like maybe find a free clinic or something along those lines? I’m my experience it’s not very normal for a child who is 10 to still be peeing the bed & I don’t want to worry you but it COULD ( not saying it is ) be a sign of trauma or anxiety issues. I would definitely try to get him to a doctor or ask the mom to take him to a doctor again (because the problem hasn’t gotten better) & FaceTime the child’s dad while at the appointment.

My doctor told me for my son it was due to actual constipation and how the bladder is positioned at time of sleeping. That if he is constipated, it puts pressure on the bladder while laying down.