My toddler throws up every time I put him in his crib for bedtime: Advice?

My son is two years old, and every time I try to put him in his crib to sleep, he makes himself throw up so I can take him out so he can sleep with me. Any ideas to try and get him to sleep on his own

7 Likes

Clean it and put him back in?

8 Likes

Change the bedding and put him back in his bed. Follow thru.

3 Likes

I know a lot of people will probably assume acid reflux. But my son is almost 3 and he does this no necessarily to get in the bed with me but he can make himself throw up when I tell him no or that he canā€™t have something

1 Like

Ummmā€¦clean it up and put him back in the bedā€¦donā€™t give in

2 Likes

Clean it up and lay him back down. Eventually he will give up and sleep on his own.

3 Likes

My son did that too!!!..and guess who won that game??..Iā€™d be lyin if I said I did :roll_eyes: lol

2 Likes

Maybe rest and rock with him before bed? He may just need more mom time.
My youngest needed to be rocked to sleep until he was about 3. I couldnā€™t just lay him in bed awake, he needed to closeness.

If heā€™s never slept alone before try sitting in the room with him by his crib then each night or every couple nights move a little farther away from the crib. My oldest never had an issue but my youngest didā€¦ and it took about 10 days and eventually he just got used to it, for a couple weeks weā€™d have to keep the door open but eventually we were able to close his door right when we laid him down and he was asleep within mins. The first day I sat with him I had to comfort talk to him pat his back a couple times it took 10 minutes and he was asleep, the rest of the nights I just sat there no words just pretended like I was asleep.

All depends on how bad you want him to learn how to sleep on his own. My son did the same thing and I gave in for about a year. But he just became to big to sleep with me by 2 1/2 so I followed through as people above are saying, changing sheets and laying him back down throughout the night etc and it sucks for a bit but eventually they do learn. You just have to be persistent.

Why dont you start by letting him fall asleep in your bed and move him to his crib until he gets used to sleeping in it.

2 Likes

Clean it up and put him back. When he realizes you arenā€™t going to put him in your bed heā€™ll stop throwing up. Also should talk to his pediatrician about it to make sure nothing else is going on.

2 Likes

My daughter does this to except even if i clean her bed and put her back she will continue to force herself to vomit or dry heave

1 Like

Matteress protector, sheet, matteress protected sheet. Then you only have to take off one set and put him straight back into bed

3 Likes

Clean him up and put him back, stop giving in to him and he will realise it wonā€™t work

2 Likes

We dont feed our kids passed a certain time and limit fluids late at night. I would honestly just clean him up and put him back. Is the crib in your room? Maybe start with it in your room and as he gets comfortable move the crib to his room. We do steps so around 1 they move with their crib to their room. I do not co sleep i like to sleep in my bed with my husband I guess Iā€™m weird like that lol

1 Like

Buy a single bed, lay down with him until heā€™s asleep then leave.

My son would throw the worst tantrums until I have in and out him in bed with me. Finally I bought him a toddler bed and that did wonders. The first week I put him to bed with me and then moved him to his bed but now he goes to bed in it by himself. The toddler bed is still in my room for now but heā€™s adjusted so good

1. Buy him. A toddler bed.
    2 years old is way yo big to still be in a crib.
    And hes throwing up probably because hes throwing such a big fit not for any serious medical reasons
1 Like

Clean the mess up n put him back in give him kisses n hugs tell him time for nite nite n sit on the floor with your back turned away from him n slowly move away from crib each night . If he can climb out of the crib put him right back in donā€™t say nothing and repeat. Give a couple days to a week n it should get better

2 Likes

Can you start putting him in a bed instead? Lay with him in his single bed until he falls asleep then sneak out?

1 Like

We ditched the crib and got a toddler bed. Also we had a bed time routine. Something like a bath, a story, prayingā€¦ whichever you see fit every night. My kiddos did really well with the transition out of my bed lol Good Luck!!

Side car the crib next to your bed so heā€™s with you on his own sleep space, or get a toddler bed and lay with him until he falls asleep. It may be frustrating right now but heā€™s still so little, and there will come a time when he doesnā€™t want the snuggles anymore. Youā€™re in ā€œthe good old daysā€ right now, so enjoy it while it lasts. :heart:

1 Like

We just started transitioning our 20mo to his own bed and I always get him to sleep in my room or the living room and then move him. If he wakes up I just sit on his bed and rub his back or hair.

1 Like

Get a toddler bed or single bed. My son was out of the cot at 1 year.
Clean him up and put him back!

1 Like

My son won that one. I gave up. He would fall asleep in my bed and I would carry him to his bed. This happened all the way up to 11 years old. Now heā€™s 20 and sleeps in his own bed :grin:. See they eventually grow out of it :wink:.

8 Likes

Change his sheets and put his ass right back in bed

Heā€™s only 2. He wants his momma. He wants comfort and closeness and to be near you. Itā€™s biologically normal. Even as adults, most of us donā€™t like to sleep alone. Not sure why we would even expect our little ones NOT to want that. Parenting doesnā€™t stop at bedtime.

3 Likes

My daughter used to do this every time I put her in time out or if she had to sleep on her own. Got her a bigger bed a big girl bed made a huge deal about it she picked it out & the bedding. She started sleeping alone from then on, first week was a transition but she has been there ever since. & the throwing up she grew out of once she got to be about 3 shes 5 now almost 6 so thank god. They prescribed her anti nausea, reflux meds all kids of stuff nothing worked because she was doing it intentionally

1 Like

Sad. Just let the kid sleep with you

5 Likes

Make sure you have a bedtime routine and always follow it. After awhile it should make the transition a little easier for him. The easy way would be to try and pat him to sleep in the crib so he doesnā€™t do it but if he wont let you or you donā€™t want to spend alot of time patting a baby to sleep everynight then just clean it up and put him back making sure to communicate with him that its bedtime and you love him and your not abandoning him or being mean he just needs to sleep. I always told my kids and the babies at work " youā€™ve been fed, changed, we brushed your teeth, you got your story, I played with you, I loved on you and now itā€™s time for bed" and I repeated it over about every 5 minutes until they went to sleep at work and every 5 to 10 min when I would go back in the room to my screaming baby to check on them at home. Sometimes it takes awhile for them to get it just stick to it and it will eventually work. Best of luck to you!

Awww :confused: is he crying so much heā€™s throwing up or heā€™s gagging himself? Routines and consistency is the answer for bedtimeā€¦ and stop him ahead of time if heā€™s gagging himself. I have a strict routine with my little oneā€¦ heā€™s 18 monthsā€¦ he sleeps in his bed all night. I developed a strict bedtime routine when my oldest daughter (17) was a babyā€¦

Every night at the same timeā€¦ have belly full and bathā€¦ place in bed. If screaming let scream for about 10 mins ( not throwing upā€¦ before then) then go console themā€¦ let them calm downā€¦ quickly put them right back to bedā€¦walk outā€¦ they scream againā€¦ wait and repeat

You do this every night until they learn. Do exactly the same thing at the same timeā€¦ you will have no problems after a week or two

Iā€™m sure heā€™s acting this way because he hadnā€™t learned to self sooth yetā€¦ but he will. Staying consistent will teach him. Good luck

1 Like

My daughter is 11and after she eats anything she gets sick right after or if she is upset she does to

We did a bed at 1 and laid on the floor next to it until they fell asleep.

My daughter also did this, and like some of the other moms hereā€¦ I got her a big girl bed and it has been a game changer. We cuddle, read and then i kiss her goodnight. She tosses and turns but puts herself to sleep. Good luck.

My daughter did that once. Sheā€™s still little so I caved. She normally falls asleep on top of me, I put her on the playpen, sheā€™ll wake up once and Iā€™ll cuddle either in bed or in the couch and once sheā€™s asleep again Iā€™ll put her in the play pen again. Itā€™s not perfect but it works for me and I canā€™t stand her crying just because she wants to cuddle.

My son was doing the same thing. We took him to his ped and she tested him for auto immune disease. Apparently his stomach doesnā€™t tell his brain when heā€™s full so he over eats throughout the day and then it made him sick at night. She has him on a special diet and we have to closely monitor everything and how much of it he eats during the day. Itā€™s helped a lot.

My son did the same thing and he had asthma

Iā€™ve only had this issue with one of my 7 kids so far. My first boy (heā€™s now 6). What I did with him (keep in mind every kid is different), is I got him a big boy car bed. He was excited for it, but still would have complete meltdowns at bedtime. So I started laying in there with him until he fell asleep. Then I moved to sitting on the floor next to him rubbing his back, holding his hand, or playing with his hair until he fell asleep. Then would sit by the door once he adjusted to that and reassure him that I was still right there and he could see me. Then eventually we just stopped all together after awhile. Each step for us took a few days to a week. And every night we did a bedtime routine and would watch the same movie in his room at bedtime. Eventually it got to the point that he just needs a movie/TV at bedtime. Granted, sometimes he still sleeps in bed with us, but not every night or anything close to. Itā€™s usually when heā€™s had a bad dream or if he isnā€™t feeling good or had a rough day. But I want him to come to me when he has those things. So Iā€™m okay with that. Picture is of me and my oldest son when he was 1 1/2yrs old sleeping on the couch (heā€™s a HUGE kid, and cosleeping sucked because he always had to lay on top of me, which as he got biggerā€¦ literally was crushing me and made it so I couldnā€™t ever get sleep. Heā€™s always been a massive mommas boy lol).

Some of the comments here are disgusting. Itā€™s not mandatory to share your bed and it doesnā€™t make you a bad parent if you donā€™t want to or canā€™t.

I layer my daughterā€™s sheets with puppy pads (or waterproof sheets) in between, try this, just whip off the top layer and put him back, heā€™ll soon learn that itā€™s no longer a way to manipulate you xx

2 Likes

Get several mattress pads, layer them on the babyā€™s bed, when he pukes pull off a layer, change him, put him back in his bed.
:woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

Ahh, a two-year-oldā€™s manipulation. Would you consider asking his doctor?

1 Like

Maybe donā€™t let them sleep with you? This is just rewarding them for doing it. Of course they are going to keep doing it. I like Shanin Paigeā€™s idea. Clean it up put them straight back in. They will learn that vomiting dosenā€™t mean you get to sleep with mum.

6 Likes

Honestly talk to his doctor. He could be doing it for attention but he could also just have really bad anxiety from being separated it makes him sick. Try putting him in his bed NEXT to yours or you just lay him down in his bed and you sit there til he falls asleep and just get up and leave so you still have your space

11 Likes

Lol stop bringing him to sleep with you. Change him and the sheets and put him back down.

4 Likes

Well obviously if it was as easy as just not letting him sleep with her she PROBABLY would have just done that by now, jeez. šŸ’

9 Likes

My nearly 1 year old has done this since 6 months old. Iā€™ve been advised itā€™s because she associates her cot with bedtime and being left alone. Iā€™ve started with having a travel cot downstairs in the evening other end of the room where she can see me and sheā€™s taken to it really well after a few days of being unsure , next step will be leaving the room for 15 mins then 30 etc so slowly getting use to the idea of being away from me. Finally will put her in bedroom :+1: this is my second born, my first born never did anything like this, I really feel for you. X

1 Like

My two boys used so this :woman_facepalming:t3: just gotta clean it up/change the bedding and put them back in. Takes several goes but they realise then whatā€™s the point in throwing up. Itā€™s tough goingā€¦ :heart:

1 Like

Clean him up and put him back in a bed stand your ground

1 Like

Mine did this. Strip everything off, put down towels and put them back down. It is hard. Iā€™ve been there. One of mine did it for 2 days. One did it for a week. It was a nightmare. But you need to think about the long term. Hang in there. Stay strong :muscle:

1 Like

Eventually his stomach will it be empty and he wonā€™t have anything to throw up anymore

1 Like

My daughter used to do this same thing. Sheā€™s also 2 now but when she did it she was 1. She would make herself throw up. I never gave in though. I cleaned her up and her bedding and put her right back to bed. She got the hint after 3 days .

4 Likes

Clean up the puke and put him back to bedā€¦

2 Likes

What about slowly transitioning him from your bed to his crib like allow him to fall asleep in your bed then move him to his own bed or possibly put his crib in your room or a pack in play and slowly every night move it a little closer to his own room that way itā€™s not a drastic change my kids have severe separation anxiety they have never been away from us this is how our pediatrician recommended us to transition it worked well for us

3 Likes

I donā€™t know really I donā€™t have a kids

1 Like

My son hated his crib more then anything. When we converted it into a toddler bed he loved it and it helped with bed time because he always wants to sleep with me. Maybe your son has anxiety with the crib.

2 Likes

When I was teaching my kids to sleep in there room they were 1 1/2 and would sneek into my room to lay next to me after I had put them in their bed I would just let them and carry them back as soon as they fell asleep eventually they stopped waking up to sleep with me they donā€™t like that lonely feeling

My son did thisā€¦ So i switched to a toddler bedā€¦ 100% helped. It was a fight the first month or so but know he lays down for nap and going to bed. Donā€™t listen to those who say donā€™t co sleep. Your doing a great job!

3 Likes

Louise Davin some of the comments on this are actually making my stomach churn. This poor child must be so full of anxiety, I still sleep with my 2 year old from just after midnight onwards, it is okay, it is normal and it is safe to do this. Stop putting young children through so much horror if he is at a level of anxiety where he is throwing up, I hope the OP, doesnā€™t listen to some of the cruel and inhumane advice listed here.

11 Likes

Clean him up and clean the crib up and put him back to bed. I know it will be hard.

My daughter never made herself vomit but would scream every time I put her to bed the Health Nurse said to me ignore her just go outside and be in ear shot of her which I did and sheā€™d stop after a few seconds

1 Like

Iā€™m so saddened by some of the responses. It is not normal for a child to vomit from being put in the crib. It could a totally be a medical issue or even just anxiety. If an adult were having anxiety to the point of throwing up most people would show some sympathy. Personally I would try to rule out any medical causes like reflux, airway obstruction, etc. If there is no condition present, maybe try to side car the crib for a while and slowly transition it away from my bed.

3 Likes

Sometimes itā€™s cause of separation anxiety. My son had that problem for a while. I definitely wouldnā€™t medicate. I just started making him spend more time in his crib with me still in the room during the day and it took a little bit but he got use to it.

Start having him help clean up his mess and put him back to bed.
He keeps doing it because he knows he can get what he wants when he does it.

2 Likes

Heā€™s a distressed 2 year old, so anxious to be alone heā€™s vomiting - and so many people say just to clean him up so he can continue with his anxiety?? So cruel and neglectful - a child that age isnā€™t manipulating you, they are trying to get your attention to fill a need they have - to stop their anxiety and fear!!! Being a parent doesnā€™t just stop because itā€™s night time - that attitude is so outdated. Theyā€™re only this little once - they wonā€™t be in your room / bed or need you to put them to sleep forever, just give them the love and comfort and assurance they need now

4 Likes

My 2c would be to develop a calming environment in their room like having wind down, read a book, sing a song. And get a rocking chair and do not them leave the room

He could also have baby acid reflux. My daughter had the same thing. We had a wedge pillow for her to use after eating. She could not be laid flat after eating

See my son was in his own cot n bedroom from 6months then went to a full size single bed at 18 months and since day 1 of him having a low single bed he gets his blanket and bottle and takes himself to bed hes now 2 years old and shares a room with his little brother xoxo by witch thay both in bed asleep by 7.30pm n up at 6am
Oldest is 2yr youngest is 6 months xoxo

In our culture we co sleep with our children until they want to sleep by themselves. It doesnā€™t make them weak nor vulnerable. Every child is different thoughā€¦

4 Likes

Hes only two, he wants you because your his everything.
He wont be little for long, enjoy how much he loves you.

Iā€™d suggest, until heā€™s finally comfortable going to sleep on his own, let him fall asleep in your bed. Then once heā€™s fully asleep move him to his own bed.
I still occasionally have to do this with my 11 year old.
She suffers from every form of anxiety out there, but separation anxiety is the worst.

2 Likes

Cool new toddler beds worked with both of our kids. We co slept with both kids, so trying to put them back in the crib was a no-go

Clean it up, put him back in it. Stay in the room until he falls asleep. Be consistent

We did this for a week with our daughter, long nights but itā€™s worth it.

19 Likes

I say heā€™s doing that because of comfort, so make the crib a comfort zone for himā€¦ get a Pre-bedtime routineā€¦ calming bath, story, song, rock him, then stay with him ,rubbing his back or belly until he falls asleepā€¦ once thatā€™s his routine, he will expect it for years, but as he gets older, he can learn a little to comfort himself.

1 Like

My oldest would scream herself sick a few times when she didnā€™t get her way. Not giving in and just cleaning up the mess stopped that.

1 Like

Get rid of his crib. Start small. Let him fall asleep in your bed and move him to his own, naps in his bed, etcā€¦

2 Likes

My son at 3 did this. We coslept too but after little sister came the bed got cramped quick lol.

He would cry so hard n throw up if he was in his own room so we started by sitting with him. Holding his hand, night light, book and no talking. Did thst for a month. Then sat by the door for a few weeks. Now hes all set we tuck him in and go. He does like the door wide open so it stays open!

3 Likes

I would try staying in his room with him until he calms down and falls asleep!

Take him bed shopping and let him pick out a toddler bed he likes so heā€™ll be excited to sleep in it

1 Like

Clean it up and put him back and continue doing it until he learns to stop.

8 Likes

Iā€™m never a good one on this subject ā€¦Iā€™d let him sleep with me ā€¦or rock him until asleep then put him in his crib ā€¦or get a toddler bed and read to him until he falls asleep.

Take him with you .then when he falls asleep put him in his ā€¦children need to know they are safe and being there when they are this scared reassures them you always will be ā€¦good luck . He will come around patients

2 Likes

Heā€™s 2. Buy him a proper bed.

5 Likes

Be consistent, as a parent you have to be the one to show them the right way. When he makes himself vomit, clean him and it up and put him back in it. I watched a kid like this and he did it if in trouble or didnt want to do something, I just continued doing the same thing and after a week, he finally seen I wouldnā€™t cave and it stopped. Good luck, it can be tricky at times.

1 Like

We let my son pick out his big but bed and big boy bedding. Made a big deal about it. Had him take naps in the big boy bed. Iā€™d stay with him until he fell asleep. Then he was able to do night time after we mastered naps. Consistency is key. You got this Momma :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Both of my daughters hated being in a crib so we just took the mattress out and put it on the floor in our bedroom and i lay with them in their beds until they fall asleep and then move to my own.

1 Like

Wow I would never let my child sleep by themselves if it was making them that distressed. Theyā€™re only little for such a short while. Let them in your bed where they feel safe :tipping_hand_woman:

7 Likes

Clean bed put him back changed how you react to the situation maybe?

2 Likes

Ignore the rude comments on here first of all. There are many of things you could try to do to get him to stay in there. Firstly you have to be consistent. This is the hardest part cause mentally Iā€™m sure itā€™s exhausting but itā€™s just necessary. Depending how big your 2 year old is you may be able to get him a larger bed and if he picks it out he may feel more comfortable sleeping in it. Also maybe heā€™s afraid of the dark. Could try and get a nightlight. Oil diffuser could also work to make the room smell relaxing and help him calm down in there. Also establishing a bedtime routine should work as well but I know itā€™s hard to do the same thing every night if work schedules donā€™t allow. You wanna make sure he knows the bed is where he should sleep whether you get a larger one or keep the crib he should be napping in there. Itā€™ll help him feel more comfortable being there alone at night time too. Like I said you could do so many things to try to keep him in the crib. Make it comfortable and stay by his side if necessary. Sometimes I have to hold my babies hand so he knows Iā€™m there till he falls asleep. Itā€™s back aching and tiring and mentally exhausting but worth it in the end. At 2 years old he should understand enough but still be consistent in explaining why he should be in there and why thatā€™s his room and yours is separate. I hope one of these things works! Good luck!

2 Likes

Just reassure him your there, sit with him till he falls asleep

2 Likes

Co- Sleepā€¦ Bed Shareā€¦ Theyā€™re only little so long, they wonā€™t want to do it forever, promise!

4 Likes

You should not let him sleep with you. Clean him up and put him back in his bed. He has figured out how to get his way. Toddlers are good at that. As long as he gets the desired results he will continue with this ploy. You already know he is doing it on purpose and is not actually sick so donā€™t let yourself be manipulated by it. It will be very difficult in the begining. It might get worse before it gets better. You just need to hang in there and be persistent because he will be persistent in his efforts to get you to cave.

8 Likes

Do you stay with him? Rub his back, talk to him, lay your head on the side of the rails and pretend youā€™re sleeping. let him know youā€™re still there and stay with him through the tantrum. He should calm down eventually

1 Like

Just let him sleep w you then

1 Like

I would sit with your 2 year old in their bed (you right next to it if itā€™s a toddler bed). Read books, lights off, maybe turn on relaxing music/night light, use some EOs if you have any, then just sit there with them until they fall asleep. I wouldnā€™t really engage with him, just tuck him back in if he gets up, maybe rub his back or pat it a little just to keep him laying down. Then just get on your phone and scroll through Facebook or whatever your pleasure is so it keeps you in the room long enough for them to fall asleep. I would make this the new routine until he is 100% comfortable in his bed a d going to sleep in a timely manner.
My 4 year old will sometimes try to stay up and get in my bed and this is what I have to do to get her back in her falling asleep in her room. Usually only 3 days of it and sheā€™s back into her routine. To start with it will take a while, but itā€™s a nice way to whine down the day.
Also if he gets up at any time I would still do the exact same thing. In the middle of the night sometimes I would fall asleep but eventually wake up and sneak back to my room.

Time for a toddler bed

1 Like

You could do what I did with my daughter and turned her crib into a bedside bassinet it helped a lot with slowly moving her out of my bed and towards her own

My son is 3.5
He goes to sleep in our bed with cuddles and then we move him to his own bed once he sleeps.
When he was in a room on his own he would come back in the middle of the night but we wouldnā€™t mind because by then we would have had time together.
But now that he shares a room with his sister they both sleep throughout the night.

It takes like 10minutes max to cuddle each bub to sleep and then they sleep happily and comfortably.
It isnā€™t that much of an issue and atleast they go to sleep happy.

My son get scared so i canā€™t imagine forcing him to go to sleep by himself just so that he doesnā€™t form these so called ā€˜attachment issuesā€™

I have a happy 3.5 yr old independent child that likes to fall asleep cuddling with his parentsā€¦ people need to stop making it like itā€™s a bad thingšŸ™„

Maybe try elevating the mattress. Could be acid reflux. Never know until you take your child to the drs. šŸ¤· just sayin.

1 Like

My son did this and we regretted letting him in our bed. Super nanny technique might work where you sit in the room but donā€™t look at them.