Need help on bedroom situations

I have a 5 year old daughter. I have been seeing someone who has 2 daughters as well. One is 5 and the other is 7. We have been discussing the topic of moving in together. But we cannot agree on bedroom situations.

Currently he has a 2 story home with 4 bedrooms. The master, the guest room, an office, and his daughters room that they currently share. (He also only has them every other weekend) We are in a constant disagreement about the bedroom situation for the girls. I feel like moving in my daughter should take the guest room. And his daughters keep their room as is.

He feels his oldest should get the guest room and the two youngest share a room.

I need opinions and advice on this. My daughter will be giving up her home and her own space and moving into their world. She will also be with us full time. His two will be with us every other weekend and already share a room together.

Also, he refuses to give up the office.

45 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Need help on bedroom situations - Mamas Uncut

I think until she becomes comfortable with his girls if ever she should have own especially if she lives with you full time. he can sacrifice office and all girls get a room.

6 Likes

Check the laws in your state. Things may have changed, but in some areas children can’t share a room unless they are biologically related. If the 2 of you can’t agree on this, you may want to think of every other part of living together and discuss those as well.

10 Likes

I 100% agree with you

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be moving into his home but that’s just me.

42 Likes

I’d do one room for all beds and one room for toys :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Seeing they aren’t related siblings I think your child should have their own room

9 Likes

I agree with you
 it doesn’t make sense to leave an empty room for the oldest daughter when she is only there 6 days a month if your daughter is going to be living there full time.

13 Likes

Is he actually having trouble understanding how your daughter would need to have her own space, especially initially? He has all that space and is unwilling to share? Sorry to say he sounds inconsiderate and thoughtless. Trust me these things, although manifest small right now, lead to bigger issues. Idk if I’d want to move my children into a situation with a step-dad figure who makes selfish decisions instead of compassionate ones.

47 Likes

So if he gets to make decisions about how everyone in the home will live then you aren’t moving in together, you are staying at his place. I probably wouldn’t go ahead with this. Your daughter does not deserve to be forced to share space with someone she doesn’t know.

39 Likes

I’d keep your house and co live in out of his lmao rent yours out or air bnb it

7 Likes

Dont move in if u dont like it
Its 6 days a month
Ya daughter has to share 
 maybe give it ago she might like company being an only child

1 Like

I think you should start with your idea until everyone is adjusted well and them what he said.

2 Likes

Don’t give up your home. Sorry if 4 bedroom avalible and 3 kids, they should have room each

11 Likes

Two youngest with bunk beds and older child with own room.

If your arguing over something so trivial, maybe you better stay put, and tell him your not ready to move in, obviously he isn’t ready either, who started this conversation
sounds like some one is either desperate or looking for convince without compromise.

6 Likes

How long have you been seeing him
not long enough you didn’t say he was a boyfriend or fiance
you can do better
don’t become a convience

3 Likes

Nope. This shouldn’t even be an issue. Your daughter deserves a full time room to herself. I understand his reasoning for wanting his oldest to have her own room instead BUT she isn’t there physically at the house enough. If he wants all of the girls to be happy, they should each have their own room.

5 Likes

Don’t move in. There’s conflict and resentment a brewin with this.

5 Likes

If they are only there every other weekend then your daughter will still have her own space.
The oldest child should have their own room.
Can she not handle a sleepover every other weekend?? It’s really only 4-6 days a month. Seems petty to argue over that.

9 Likes

Your daughter in guest and see how they like living together before changing anything else

I think the oldest should have there own room and the two younger ones share

4 Likes

Your daughter in her own room. Moving out of her own comfort zone, his daughters can continue to share or give them a room each

If his are there every other weekend then your daughter basically gets the room to herself. So I take his side.

7 Likes

Do not move in with him

4 Likes

I agree with him, the oldest should have her own room and the younger ones share

6 Likes

I mean that’s how I would do it. My ex husbands house is like that (except it’s all his children no bonus) my/our 12 yr has her own (same at mine), our 10yr old shares with their 6yr old sister. (The other two he has is a boy (hes got his own rm, and a nb girl which is with them I’m assume) my 10yr old has her own for now but eventually will share with my soon to be 3yr old as I’m gonna have another very soon in the next few days. (Mine are all girls) oldest deserves own

I recommend checking out Nacho kids about blending families.

Don’t move in based on this.
Nopeeee.

You BOTH need to give up some things to combine homes.

6 Likes

With that many bathrooms what’s to argue about seriously

If you can’t agree why moving in together just sayingâ˜ș

6 Likes

Dont move in
 just dont

5 Likes

I kind of see his point on the 5 yr olds sharing a room. It might help them bond, and like you said they aren’t there much.

1 Like

Oldest child shud have her own space an your daughter will only be sharing every other weekend he needs to give up his office an let them all have a room an end the argument I mean if he wanted a happy healthy relationship u can make a office in the basement in your own bedroom anywhere in the house just like your daughter is giving up everything the other children lives are also changing alot an now they have to give up something honestly to end it all it’s 4 bdrms with 3 kids his office would have to kiss my ass an that be that

They are 5 let them bond and become best friends

1 Like

I think the oldest should get her own room. And, the two littles should share. But if it’s already an issue, I’d hold off on moving in. :grimacing:

13 Likes

The younger ones have to have that relationship to feel as tho they can handle the move and the oldest and her sister have to have that letting go part or it will have a huge impact

1 Like

two sisters need to share for a while , later give the 5 year old a choice if they want to be together .

4 Likes

What do they do now if you stay over there?

How long have you been in this relationship?

Is it too quick to move in together?

If he isn’t willing to change things how will it work?

1 Like

I think you shluld back off a bit on moving in , he is not ready.

7 Likes

The oldest should definitely get her own room. If you plan to move together, all the kids should get treated equally. That would mean the oldest would get the room.

3 Likes

I can not believe this is an issue! Let the 2 five yr. olds share. There will be no division set. Older child needs more privacy from young siblings.

3 Likes

Wait until your daughter has to ask permission to eat
or is yelled at by him for not cleaning her plate
 trouble on the herizon
believe me
There is also going to be resentment coming from his two daughters
cause your daughter gets their daddy all the time now
the I don’t want her to mess with my stuff while I’m away goings on
from the other children
when there at Moms

10 Likes

Why can’t the sisters continue to share? He didn’t have a problem with it prior to the discussion of you all living together. If he did then he has other rooms that either one of his daughters could of had as their own.

13 Likes

I wouldn’t move into his home anyway. Especially since you have your own home.

12 Likes

She needs her own room

1 Like

I feel ur daughter should have her own room to start and possibly later she shares with the other 5 year old but if he isnt going to compromise its not going to work

1 Like

Dont do it!!! Do not!!! your daughter is more important than your personal pleasure and relationship with any man, ever!!
he is already setting you up for failure and conflicted drama with your own child. he is dictating and deciding for your child, he is subjugating your daughter to second!!
he is not her father or parent!! he gets no say, ever! this is your child, your baby!! do not do this

16 Likes

Wow so much over thinking on here!
Your daughter will have her own room a majority of the time so will probably think it’s great sharing with her new friend for a sleepover every other weekend

5 Likes

Oldest have her own room, bunk the 5s together

I see both you and his opinions
 moving is a big step and hard on Littles
 maybe make a compromise and let the his girls continue to share and urs have her own till they are use to having everyone there and then move the younger own together
 but if you can’t agree on anything and compromise then you should wait to move in

Your daughter should have her own bedroom since it’s a new environment making her share space with someone she doesn’t know it’s bad enough everything feels scary and new for her plus the oldest is there 4 days a month she doesn’t need her own room

6 Likes

I don’t see why the younger two would not share your little one would only be sharing a room ever other weekend anyways

2 Likes

Oldest should have her own room.

1 Like

Don’t force it yet, hopefully as they get older they can be good friends and will class every 2nd weekend as “friends sleepovers” and want to share anyways 
forcing it will make it worse

1 Like

Maybe the excuses are because he is not ready for you to move in. If he was ready and wanted the living situation he would accommodate every space available

6 Likes

I agree with him. The younger ones are supposed to share.

2 Likes

I would say the oldest gets her own room. As per she is the oldest. However you can always bring up the topic to the girls. See what they think.

There is space for them to have a room each. Refusing to give up an office is, in my opinion, a red flag.
However, as his girls already share - I’d agree that your daughter should have the guest room. Less change at the one time for all 3 girls.

10 Likes

Your child needs her own room.
His children are only there part time and have their room broke in already.
I’m on Team You

2 Likes

Nope sisters stay as is and she should have guest room

I agree with him. The two youngest should share a room and oldest gets the other bedroom. I think the problem is being a little selfish on your part because your daughter is giving up her house and room. Not her choice that’s your choice. It will be fun for both the girls to have the room because they’re both the same age besides it’s like her having her own room anyway because the other girl is not gonna be there all the time

Make it fun. Redo the room for the two of them to share. Both little girls would probably love it and redo the room for the oldest. Huge bonding moments
I have been through similar. The oldest should have her own room and I’m afraid you’re asking for huge resentment. Its Definitely tough meshing families but if there’s already trouble be careful.

4 Likes

I would just tell him you won’t move in unless your daughter gets her own room. She deserves her own space and so do his girls. Don’t put your self and your daughter in a situation you both can’t get out of. Good luck

5 Likes

My opinion the 5 year olds share and the older one has her own room. It’s his house remember that.

2 Likes

From the perspective of my own kids - they go to their dads every other weekend as well
 the two children who live there permanently have their own rooms, but my kids don’t. My son is in the “study” attached to the garage and my daughter has a make shift room in the lounge - literally 2 walls and a door
 no windows or privacy etc

they hate it
. They feel like they are just visiting
. Not part of the family
. So you don’t want the “visiting” children to feel like this also

just a thought from a different perspective

2 Likes

How does your daughter feel about moving? How does your daughter and his daughters get along? What are all of the kids thoughts? Personally I think he should give up the office and each one has their own room unless his two enjoy sharing a room together. Everyone’s lives will be changing. You don’t want resentment on either end. Also, if he only has them every other weekend which ever room is the biggest one of his daughters should have that but also keep it half an office? Like compromise
in a sense?!

I can understand both sides, but his unwillingness to compromise is a huge :triangular_flag_on_post:

4 Likes

Problems already
 don’t move in together

8 Likes

There are enough rooms that everyone should have their own room honestly. You did leave out pertinent info however that would factor into this
how do the 2 younger ones get along now? How does your daughter feel about moving in his house? Why doesn’t the oldest already have her own room if it’s such a big deal? I really think you guys should hold off for now, clearly even if you live there it will be his house, his rules.

5 Likes

I agree with you
 how well do the girls know each other, how long have you been together, are they friends? These play a very important roll in this question
 if you break up
 the girls will also experience a loss of each other
 as well as hopes for a 2 parent family

3 Likes

Your daughter should have her own room and privacy instead of having the other girls come in and out every other weekend and invade her things, better yet there’s enough room for everyone to have their own room.

2 Likes

What about all three girls sharing one room and using the other bedroom as more of a playroom or an actual guest bedroom? I shared a room with my sisters, there were three of us, until I turned 12. Then I got my own room. But some of our most favorite memories are of when we all shared!

3 Likes

Don’t move in with him.

2 Likes

Agree with you on that.

I honestly think if he has 4 rooms they can have there own rooms, even if he only has his girls every other weekend they need to feel comfortable and enjoy it. My son slept on the couch at his dad’s and hated it
 make them enjoy the time. 4 rooms the eldest can have her own space and enjoy it same for the younger two.

4 Likes

Makes sense to give her her own room since she’ll b there fulltime
I have 2 young daughters and they’d rather bunk then have separate rooms
as young as they are I’m sure it won’t b a problem

1 Like

Sorry. I agree. The youngest should have a room and the oldest should have her own

Don’t move in. He’s not willing to give up his office to merge your 2 families. Nothing but more issues down the road.

11 Likes

Just don’t move in. It shouldn’t even be a consideration if he won’t listen to what you know is best for your child. Why argue about this with him. If his daughters already share then nothing changes for them if your daughter takes the guest room. If he’s telling you what should happen with your child before even moving in you have some serious thinking to do.

7 Likes

if it’s every other weekend you’re daughter is having some one her own age (like a friend sleep over) in the same room and oldest gets own room i wouldn’t have a issue with that

Don’t move in with him simple.

5 Likes

If he can’t compromise now . You don’t stand a chance x

5 Likes

Not going to work out. It’s not fair to any of the children. The failed marriages of the parents shouldn’t burden these children. I feel so badly for all of them. Don’t experiment with their lives. Very sad situation.

3 Likes

Your daughter needs her own private bedroom for now!
This should not be a question!!!

2 Likes

If he wanted his oldest to have her own room then he would have moved her to another room already dont make the two 5 year olds possibly feel uncomfortable in a new situation since the two sisters already share leave it as is for the time being and give your daughter her own room, this move will be a big change for all the kids already dont make it traumatic once moved in as things progress and become more familiar for everyone then think about making the switch

7 Likes

I agree with him. You’re moving into THEIR space. You’re the one choosing to uproot and move your daughter. His kids are probably going to struggle adjusting to it just as much as your own.

1 Like

Your daughter should get her own room.

1 Like

Regardless of how often they’re there, it’s there home before yours so they shouldn’t have to give up their room but your dd should have tge guest room. Regards his office, as the girls friend, get more stuff, become more independent and want privacy, they’ll all eventually want their own rooms chances are so in the long term he may have to give up the office and utilise another space but fir now, if you were to move in, your dd in the guest is the common sense option. If he won’t budge, do t move. You and your dd are giving up everything to live with him, he has to accept compromise and if he can’t/wont, it’s not a good idea to move in. There will always be an issue with layout

2 Likes

I’d say the oldest gets her own room and the two littles share. Or change the office back to a bedroom and they’ll all have their own space. However, if his girls are only there every other weekend I don’t see an issue with the two littles sharing. It’ll be your daughter’s own room most of the time

If he won’t give up his office, why should your daughter have to give up her bedroom
??

He can set up his office in your bedroom :relaxed:

If his 2 are already used to sharing a room then y suddenly bother changing it?

Your daughter is 5 I’m sure she dont mind roomie with his little one, that’s there every other weekend

His house his rules !! Is what Im seeing in this situation

1 Like

Do not move in until this is figured out. Maybe he needs to move out from their home as well and find something that works for both sets of kids. What have you guys discussed about blending the family? There’s a lot more than just moving in together and hoping the kids can cohabitate.

Move the office and they can all have their own room. If that’s not an option then the oldest gets her own room.

If you can’t even come to an agreement now, you probably won’t stand a chance living together

3 Likes

I say break up and it solves the issue completely

1 Like

You obviously need a 4 bedroom. Are you sure that he just don’t want to make sure that the payments on his house is made?

2 youngest should share.

1 Like