Shold I feed my baby more?

Hey you guys I really need help! So my baby is four months and I give her a 5 oz bottle and she drinks anywhere from 3 to 4 oz of that and sometimes the whole 5, I burb her in between but if I give her more then 5 she pukes but she is eatting every two hour and acts like she is starving… So my question is, is there a way to increase what she eats at one time safely and so she doesn’t get sick? I have a four and three year old plus pumping so feeding her every two hour has gotten pretty hard to do!

67 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/shold-i-feed-my-baby-more/20956

Is this breast milk? Are you pace feeding? The calorie density changes as the baby gets older without having to increase ounces. My kids never drank More than 3-4oz every 3 hours, at a time until they were 12 months ok

Give her watered down pablum

1 Like

That normal. She should be eating every 2 hrs. Don’t give her more than 5 if you know she’ll puke.

7 Likes

Your baby may be ready to try cereal or some limited solids like pureed bananas, apples and other stuff. You should talk to your child’s pediatrician about this.i am pretty sure 4 months is the recommended age to start cereal at least.

14 Likes

You can try oatmeal or rice that you can get in the baby area that will help fill there belly more

2 Likes

Please don’t feed her anything other than breastmilk until 6 months plus all signs of readiness. No rice cereal, oatmeal, etc. Google pace feeding, I bet that will help! At four months she’s likely going through a growth spurt right now.

9 Likes

l Get paid over $120 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $15887 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarWorth334.pages.dev/

Eating every 2 hrs is still completely normal. And feeding on demand, not a set schedule is also normal and listens to the babies cues and needs.
She could be gearing up for a growth spurt or a developmental leap.
3-4ozs every 2-3 hrs is 100% fine and normal for this age!

7 Likes

Have her checked for pyloric stenosis …she should be eating more than that at one time with no issues. My grandson had it…but as always you should consult with your physician

1 Like

4 months is when you usually start off with baby cereal. 6 months is when you start regular baby food. As always call your baby’s dr and ask if it’s ok. Normally most drs will recommend at 4 months to start giving cereal if this happens. I have had 5 children and have helped with my niece and 2 nephews. This was the situation with them. Not all drs are the same. I recommend just calling and asking.

3 Likes

Babies hit growth spurts. You’ll know when it’s time. They won’t puke back up

I put mine on rice cereal!

1 Like

My son weighed ( 9 lbs 11oc when born, dr told me to feed him cereal too because he would be hungry. This was when we came home from hospital.

2 Likes

Every 2 hours seems perfectly normal. More than 5oz is making her sick so you already know she isn’t ready for more yet. You are doing great mum!

2 Likes

Maybe try to push her to 3 hours. Distract her, an try holding her off a little longer.

It might be time to start introducing some solid food. Maybe mashing some bananas smooth or something of that nature. Give her a few bites along with her bottle. That will sit on her tummy a little longer to digest and shouldn’t make her sick. She’s just a hungry girl!

2 Likes

Give her pacifier, some babies just like sucking for soothing themselves

5oz is a lot.
Don’t go over that.
Babies fuss and suckle for comfort, it doesn’t mean they’re hungry. She’s not still hungry after 5oz. Make sure you’re pacefeeding, making bottles last as long as possible, more then 10 mins

3 Likes

And don’t add solid foods, she’s too young.

6 Likes

Google pace feeding. 6 months with all signs of readiness is when you can start either baby food or table food. Blw will be the way to go starting at 6 months. Good luck mama

2 Likes

Do not do rice cereal, or any solid food for that matter, she’s still too young, the rice cereal literally has no nutritional value and feeding her solids too early can cause digestive issues later down the road. Talk to your pediatrician. She could have a reflex issue hence the throwing it up.

6 Likes

Check out Ashley Hunt @
Mother Made Lactation

1 Like

Sounds like she is ready to try baby cereals ( rice ,oatmeal).

1 Like

My son was exactly like that. Every two hours is normal :heart: I know it must be tuff balancing everything

3 Likes

Breastmilk digests every 90 min , where formula is made to digest every 4 hours. If you are giving your baby breast its totally normal for a 4 month old to drink every 2 hours and a BM baby cant overfeed , unless she drinks BM out of a bottle . If she throws up after feeds , pop in by your local gp or clinic may be something “more” or can be what you are eating. Also , as many may say nothing except BM or FM before 6 months , alot of peads gives the go ahead @ 4 months . Start with veggies , healthy foods . Rice cereal is just wind, no nutritional value. Yogurt if you are scared at the start , you can blend those foodies.

1 Like

Is she actually puking, or is she spitting up? Some babies spit up more than others. Some take awhile for the esophagus to work right. If she’s gaining weight on what you’re feeding her, she’s probably getting enough. Talk to her doctor. My grandson was not gaining, he was actually losing weight. My son and his gf tried to limit his bottles. They said he was puking. I babysat. He wanted more to eat, I gave him another bottle. He spit up a little, but he slept much better that night. After that he started gaining weight. They realized grama knew what she was talking about. And he finally stopped spitting up. All babies are different. Some need more than others.

1 Like

I put baby cereal in my boys’ bottles when they were each about 3 months old. Doctors will tell you not to do it. And 4 months isn’t too early for solid food, as long it’s puréed.

1 Like

l Get paid over $120 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $15887 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarWorth361.pages.dev/

My baby was exactly like this she is 6 months just turned now and I was thinking why she keep crying she was the best baby up till 4 months so I started putting baby rice in her bottle she was loving that and now she on 3 meals a day plus her milk and what ever I eat I just put a bit in her mouth too she is happy as ever. I think it’s her way of telling u she wants food lol

Go to This. https://DollarWorth362.pages.dev/

Have you tried adding a little cereal to her milk?

3 Likes

my son drank every 3 hrs around the clock, ( until he cut his first tooth, then slept 12 hrs a night :slightly_smiling_face: ) plus back then he was given strain baby food at breakfast, lunch & dinner, plus a bottle with cereal in it at night, But still wanted to drink from a bottle every 3 hrs. 4He was never chubby, but solid, He started the strain food by 1 month & cereal in the bottle at night within a wk of getting home from his birth. We also stopped formula back then (1970’s) at 3 months of age & gave milk :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try adding some rice cereal. Even a little baby food.

2 Likes

I added a tbls. of rice cereal in my kids bottle at that age. It stayed down and they were satisfied for a while.

That’s alot 5 oz every two hours???
Her Tummys not big enough for that amount, that’s most likely Why she is puking!
And every two hours??? That’s only new borns, you said 4 months old, right?
Pacifier in between bottles. It’s the sucking that will comfort her.

1 Like

Clusterfeeds and growth spurts are normal.

3 Likes

I also put baby cereal in my g
Kids and my grandkids bottle. It helped so much.

1 Like

Add some baby cereal, thicken the milk up a bit. It will help. Small amounts at first, and you can also start introducing the spoon and some fruits. One different every week just to watch for any allergic reactions. Good luck.

3 Likes

Might not be related. Maybe acid reflex or food allergy.

1 Like

Go to This. https://DollarWorth378.pages.dev/

Ask your pediatrician

2 Likes

If she’s not projectile vomiting i would increase by an oz. If she’s bringing it up with a burp it’s just the burp making her puke it out

1 Like

There are so many reasons this could be happening. A ton of babies eat for the sake of comfort, so your baby is probably over-filling. There’s also acid reflux, so definitely ask pediatrician about that, or maybe baby isn’t being burped enough.

If it’s overeating, try feeding normal amount and giving a pacifier afterwards (I know some will disagree with that). I’m sure you’re aware of all of this since this is your third(I got tubes tied after 2, so props lol). I’m absolutely no expert, so my number 1 suggestion would be to call pediatrician. Good luck! :blush:

5 Likes

I’ve always heard breastfed babies eat more often because breast milk digest faster. I don’t think theres anything you can really do unless you either switch to formula or start to introduce solids. But you have to go slow with solids so you’ll likely still be giving her a bottle every couple hours until she’s used to eating solids too.

She’s too young for baby cereal don’t feed her that until atleast six months and get a slow feeding bottle

3 Likes

If her tummy hurts she might think she is hungry or fuss causing you to think she is hungry. Maybe some acid reflux. My daughter is now 32 and I realize times have changed. Her doctor had me give her 2cc of Mylanta before and after she ate. It helped. Always check with her doctor before you give her anything. Worked for us. 

1. Please don’t add anything to the bottles, it’s a serious choking hazard and offers NO benefits other than falsely making her body think it’s full. 2. If she’s being fed breastmilk, she shouldn’t be eating more than 3-4oz per feeding, try pace feeding. However, breastfed babies do feed more frequently because their bodies are able to digest their milk without much work (given that it’s literally made for them specifically).
7 Likes

Also; it takes up to 20 minutes after feeding for the body to feel full, stick to what you’re feeding and offer a pacifier or some comfort item after feeds and see if you notice a change, it could also be a growth spurt or leap causing her to seem unsettled after a bottle.

2 Likes

If she is exclusively eating breast milk, then that is your answer. Breast milk is easier for baby to digest and it digests quicker than formula and that is why she is hungry every two hours. That probably won’t change for a while. At six months if baby is sitting up unassisted you can start to introduce solids. But you do not replace bottles with meals. Baby will still need all bottles as usual.

1 Like

Slower bottle Nipple?

Put baby rice in the milk before bed

5 Likes

Our 4 months old grandson is at 6 oz and sometimes will. Eat 2 more oz. spitting it up is normal. My children did same thing.

Please dont listen to people staying to put rice or oatmeal in the bottle, call your pediatrician and ask them about feedings

7 Likes

I think its very interesting that there are so many here saying reflux and also so many saying not to give baby rice or solids. My youngest was born with reflux. She had the medicine for it, we kept the head if her bed a bit elevated, kept her head elevated for at least 20 minutes after eating. Had to stop breastfeeding because acid reflux babies don’t do well with breastmilk. Had to have her formula have rice cereal added to it, per the doctor’s orders. If this child was having reflux it would cry a lot and projectile vomit at every feeding. But no, baby rice will not hurt the baby!

4 Likes

You need to start giving her cereal sounds to me like the problem is the bottles just not enough anymore so she needs to be introduced to the cereal along with the bottle my girls are 34 and 39 by the time they were two months old they were eating cereal and mashed potatoes and please don’t feed her from a bottle with the cereal feed her with the spoon using a bottle to feed them cereal is a bad idea because then they end up eating more than their belly can handle

1 Like

My baby is 3 months on oatmeal and baby food no this is not recommended but she wasn’t holding anything down from the get go so we had to thicken her food than she’d go days without eating after her procedure and I knew that wasn’t good so I added a tbsp of food to bottle and she started eating and getting better just got over rsv and that was hard for her to keep a bottle down than to

My daughter would constantly want the bottle. We later found out it’s how she was soothing her stomach. She had acid reflux and we didn’t know, just thought she was hungry. Same with my foster son only he would cry when not in an upright position as well. Only knew he had it because I recognized the symptoms. Talk to her doctor about it.

Oatmeal cereal or rice cereal

Add a couple of teaspoons of oat cereal. Makes them feel more satisfied. Mines 6 months and I’ve been doing it since she was 3.

I would just do smaller bottles more often. Breast fed babies you would say this is cluster feeding which also happens with formula fed babes but it’s easier to overfeed

There is milk available that will give your baby more bulk without adding volume. Ask your health centre or pharmacy about milk for very hungry babies. Please don’t add things to milk.

Oh jeeze, dont give baby any solids even purees u til they can hold their head steady while sitting. This is a choking hazard

1 Like

I added rice cereal to the bottles. I had to “adjust” the nipples. Soon after they were eating baby food. They’re grown now.

5 Likes

Maybe she’s bored or needs a change of scenery, after a feeding when still fussy I always took my kids outside at night to calm down rocked them to sleep they calmed almost instantly,

Both of my oldest started eating solids when they were 4-5months… but
they both ate soup at 3m… my youngest was 4-5 month when she started eating babyfood… only bcuz she was the smallest out of the first 2 of my babies(born 7 wks early)… now my baby is in nicu cause she was born 13wks early :heart::kissing_heart: but shes okay! Maybe try and give baby cereal or that babyfood?.. even if its jus a few spoons

1 Like

If you want to give breast milk then continue to do so, don’t swap to formula based on peoples opinions on here, but only if a doctor has told you to do so under medical reasons for baby. I personally would add little baby cereal mixed with your milk, start out with very small portions. It could be that baby just needs something a little more filling and at 4months old baby cereal or tiny bits of rusks in your milk is a good first step :slightly_smiling_face:

I’d discuss baby food with your pediatrician. Could be reflux from your diet and breast milk. Could be she is ready to try a little solids. I always let my baby tell me what they wanted and needed.

3 Likes

May want to check for reflux. Very common

1 Like

Lol who makes 5 Oz when it’s 2 Oz per scoop

1 Like

It’s acid reflux. What my doctor told me to do with both my babies is put cereal in with there bottles. You’ll have to make the nipple hole a little bigger. This was also 10 years ago. I would talk to your doctor and see what they suggest. Btw my kids never choked on the cereal in the bottle and are 10 and 16 and are doing fine.

3 Likes

Ok if your baby is a breast fed baby, this is totally normal. Breast milk is digested quicker than formula. That’s why she’s hungry after only 2 hours. She also might be having a growth spurt which will cause her to eat more often. You can also try baby oatmeal/rice if YOU want. Honestly, you should consult your baby’s pediatrician with these type of questions because after all of these different answers, you’re probably even more confused. :woman_shrugging:t4: Good luck. :relaxed:

Don’t feed her more just add a little baby rice.

You should probably be asking her pediatrician not Facebook. Everyone has different opinions but your Dr knows your baby Facebook doesn’t.

1 Like

Try a little baby cereal put a little in a bowl pour a little baby formula in the more formula the more watery the less is more thicker give her a little bit that could help the baby ceral that is dry in the box do oatmeal

1 Like

With breastmilk you never go over 4 to 5oz at a time. Make sure you are pace feeding bottles with a premie nipple. A bottle should take about 15 minutes to finish. Unfortunately breastmilk digests faster than formula so eating every 2 fo 3 hours is the norm.

2 Likes

My son did this. He wanted to eat every two hours for the first six months. He ate anywhere between 6 to 8oz. I knew it was really too much. Finally discovered he had acid reflux. Babies mistake this for hunger and will act like they’re starving. Zantac was a life saver.

This is normal for breastfed babies.

1 Like

Put half a teaspoon of rice cereal for babies in each bottle that you have made up, shake well and I do mean shake it well, that half a teaspoon of rice cereal will fill your baby better as you won’t be needing her bottle so often.

1 Like

Whole generations were brought up being weaned around 3/4 months. They got rusk melted down to a runny paste with baby milk. They got baby porridge …or the smooth porridge from the top of the pot.
Yes I know its frowned upon now :woman_shrugging:
Babies all require different things. You cant just cover every one with a blanket comment and expect them all to be happy .
Guidelines are just that…not meant to follow religiously but to adjust to your child’s needs as they grow.
A smooth watery paste is not any more a choking hazard than milk .
If she’s taking full bottles every 2 hours she may be hungry . They only have small stomachs after all and growing babies demand more food.
Try a little smooth porridge from a spoon in the middle of the feed. Make sure the teat has a large enough hole so she doesn’t get tired trying to feed.
My son was terrible until he started solids then the vomiting stopped. Same with both my grandaughters …but listen to your Dr incase meds are required obviously

Maybe start her on some baby rice if shes showing signs shes hungry more than usual, she just might be ready for a little bit of rice or oatmeal it helped me with my son because he would wake every 2 hours when I gave him the rice he was fine started to sleep abit better, also a rutein is really good for little ones as they get used to it and go to bed on time

1 Like

The answer to this is to

ASK YOUR PAED OR GP…

fb is where you come if ypu want to leave more confused than when you walked in!

2 Likes

Always discuss feeding with the pediatrician. I dont see the need for seperate appointment but call and leave a message for the doctor and someone wull call you back. Adding rice cereal to bottle time may help as well. Every baby is different.

Add baby cereal milk isn’t enough

First of all do not start solids before 6 months… Research it. Also it is completely normal for a baby to eat every 2 hours… Especially if they are receiving breast milk as it digests fairly quickly. Baby could also be on a growth spurt…

Please ask your pediatrician instead of listing to the advice of adding more formula then your suppose to and adding cereal to bottles. It’s normal for them to be hungry every 2 hrs…

2 Likes

She should be getting big enough to eat baby solids like rice cereal to supplement the breast milk.

1 Like

She should be on cereal too.

Breat fead babies eat more frequently then formula fed babies so it’s completely normal. Keep feeding the way you are now it’s normal.

3 Likes

If she’s puking you are over feeding. My 2 month out eats every 3 hours and he takes 4 oz I have a 5 and 1 year old so I know it hard to sit and do a feeding that often.

1 Like

Every one saying give her solids is a no go wait for the all clear from her doctor should be around 6 months when you start giving her baby foods and NEVER mix rice cereal in with a bottle very dangerous

10 Likes

Fed cereal in formula by 1 month old

4 Likes

Try to hold off to 4 hours and feed more

1 Like

my baby is 2 1/2 months is at 7 1/2 oz doctor said to up half an oz every 5 to 7 days

You don’t have to ask your doctor to up their milk lol. I would try holding her off even by 30 mins and trying to get the full bottle… if she seems good after then she’s not hungry but if she’s acting like she could use some more just give a half ounce. A whole ounce is sometimes to much. Also there’s a growth spurt around 4 months as well as a sleep regression. So maybe she’s just going through a growth spurt hence the fact she’s acting starving. Is she normally a puker? Like when she burps or only if you think she’s ate to much? But breast fed baby’s are on the boob a lot… so that could also be why! Good luck mama.

3 Likes

My daughter is currently 8 almost 9 months and around the 2-3 month mark she couldn’t have my breast milk anymore because it wasn’t filling her up and she would exorcist vomit everywhere after eating. We switched to solely formula and now she goes every 4-5 hrs plus obviously has baby food but I wouldn’t start baby food until your doctor says it’s okay

1 Like

When she’s hungry, feed her.

Don’t over feed her … baby tummies are small, so don’t try to over feed her.

Don’t try to starve her in-between feedings to make her wait longer, thinking she will eat more.

Either one of these methods is harmful to the baby. Overfeeding can cause her to throw up. (Which can cause acid damage). Making her wait longer can also cause her to have acid build up & reflux problems.

It’s annoying, I know, but keep feeding her small amounts frequently. The good news is, this stage won’t last long, and before you know it, she’ll be on solids!

Just keep in mind that the most important thing is her health.

6 Likes

Do what your motherly instant tells you.

If she’s breast feeding that is plenty right now. Watch for feeding cues. She may be comfort feeding. Is her weight increasing? As long as her weight is increasing she doesn’t need anything other than those oz. if your bottle feeding the breast milk and she spits up a lot try burping her more in between oz’s. Also watch what you eat on days she spits up more. You may be eating foods that bother her stomach.

7 Likes