Shold I let my daughter see her mawmaw before she passes?

Those last moments with eachother will mean alot to both of them…

I would be enraged if I found out later in life that my mom denied me seeing a loved one one last time. I’ve lost so many people that were close to me. Please take her there

Take her. She may very well need the closure. As long as you continue to remember when mawmaw was active and fun, she shouldn’t dwell on her last visit when she was weak and sick.

1 Like

Yes please take her if my grandma I would want to go

Absolutely let her see her !! She needs to see her don’t deny her

I would ask my daughter what she wanted to do. If the upset is worth it to her take her if her heart can’t take it don’t. Let her decide.

1 Like

I definitely would, she is old enough to understand or at least understand to a point, talk to her about what is happening and what will happen but in a sense that she can understand. But yes, one more time so they both can say goodbye in a sense and love eachother, give a hug and kiss etc

I would. They may not fully understand it or they may. That’s something we may never know the answer to but I’d always allow that chance for them to have their last moments together.

1 Like

I would and take her picture

Let her see her. It may upset her that she can’t do things she was once able to do but you aren’t only doing it for her but your mother also.

2 Likes

Tell her so she understands that she’s saying good bye and take her. She’ll be upset just like you but she has the opportunity to say her good byes and I love you to her Grandma

1 Like

My father in law passed last year after a 1.5 year battle with lung cancer. My in laws live in a two family house upstairs from us. My kids, who were 8 and 4 at the time, didn’t loose anytime with their Papaw during his battle with cancer. They saw the good, bad, and ugly side of it. Because it was during Covid he didn’t have many visitors furing that time anyway. Death, while hard, is a natural part of life. We didn’t want them to be fearful of their Papaw and what he was going through, therefore loosing that time with him. The last 10 years before he passed were the hardest days our family had to endure. We didn’t put him in hospice or have hospice nurses come in. We did everything and had to see him slowly loose all function. Throughout all that, we still had our boys around him because he was still there and their Papaw. Even though he couldn’t talk the last two days before he passed he managed to kiss my oldest and whisper “Papaw’s Boy” to my youngest. That was incredible to me for them to have that “last moment” to remember him by. We went through a haze for a few months trying to figure out our new normal without him and supporting my mother in law. Now we can talk about him fondly and laugh instead of cry. We try to talk about him whenever we can because my kids were young and I want them to remember him.

When my dad was dying in the hospital I asked him. I asked him if he wanted me to bring my 2 little ones. My kids knew he was dying though.

Absolutely take her. She will need closure. It may take a bit for her to realize why she can’t get up. Just keep telling her

1 Like

Take her, I did with my children and they don’t recall much being they were 6 and 4. It gives closure but they did have questions but to this day talk about memories of being together on special holidays

It would do wonders for your mother as well as your daughter

1 Like

Yes I was 8 when I curled up in bed with dmy grandmother who was dying of cancer. When someone suggested I leave she told them to leave me be.

1 Like

I would. She needs closure with the loss of someone she loves.

2 Likes

Talk with your daughter. Once you’ve explained that her grandmother is sick, and might not get better, ask your daughter if she wants to go see her grandmother. Give her the option. Don’t force her to go if she doesn’t want to go, but please allow her to go if she wants to go.

Yes, she will get upset. Children express their frustrations and sadness sometimes through anger or lashing out, but it’s all part of the human experience. Allow her to express herself. All you can do is be there for her. Allow her to see your sadness, and how you express it, so she can understand.

Ya know, as parents, our job is to teach our children about the world, and how to survive in it. But we should also teach them how to navigate emotions … how to care for others, how to deal with frustrations & anger, and how to love & let go. Even though it’s painful, the best way to teach is to show by example. Your daughter might not fully grasp that this is YOUR mother, and that you are sad because your mother is sick.

Try to imagine how difficult it is for your mother, and how sad she would be if she couldn’t see her granddaughter. And yet, you might ask your mother how she feels about it.

Such a dilemma for such a young child. I wish you luck.

1 Like

Yes, take her. Your daughter will need that closure. She won’t understand why she never got to see her again. Explain that she is going to go say goodbye to her so she knows. I think it would do a world of good for both her and your mom. Sending prayers up for all of you.

3 Likes

At this age and the situation. I would say no. Let her remember her for the good times.

This is a natural part of life. Bring her. My mother kept me from my aunts funeral at that age and I resented her for all of it

I’ll say this, I’m 27yrs old. My grandmother passed when I was 7. So 20yrs ago. It’s something that still to this day has me upset with my mother about. We never got that closure. Let her go.

This one is hard .
I had the same experience with my daughter but with her dad .
She also is mentally disabled like your daughter ( her mental age is not the same that her biological age ) but she is very very smart and understanding everything.
She adores her dad even though he was absent for the most part of her life ( I always tell her stories about their time together when she was little , and always excuse his absence with lies to not hurt her ) the last time they spent time together was for her 7-8 birthday, she was absolutely happy because he attended, a year after he got very sick , his appearance changed and he looked nothing like himself, I decided not to take her to the hospital neither to his funeral because I didn’t wanted her to have that last image of him sticking with her for the rest of her life, I wanted her to remember him as he was when she last saw him at her birthday.

Take her to go see her no matter how upset she gets.We never know when it will be the last visit so go while you can.Your daughter will feel better once she has a visit.:two_hearts:

1 Like

I took my boys to see my mom in hospice. It may be a way for your mom to go peacefully that’s why I took my boys to see her. Just be upfront & honest with her there’s also services especially through hospice that will provide counseling for your daughter

1 Like

I took my autistic son a lot older than your little girl, to see his granmother before she passed. Worst thing i ever did i think. Upset him, totaly freak out and then i had to deal with the loss of my mother and a very upset young man.

Yes you should take her because either way she’s going to be upset

1 Like

I would let her go but talk about how Mamaw won’t be up walking around etc. She will be tired and resting.

I wish my kids would have been allowed to see my mom before she passed. It was at the beginning of the pandemic and they wouldn’t allow any kids. Let her say goodbye

The only answer is yes. My son and daughter didn’t get to say good by to my mother or see the funeral and it probably affected them

1 Like

Yes take her, for both of them, take her :heart:

4 Likes

Some of the grandkids and also great grandkids were at my husband’s funeral. Some may remember, others not. No harm done.

Yes you should take her.

Take it from somebody that didn’t get to say bye to the Paw paw . Take her to see her mawmaw .

2 Likes

You should take her , at five she will understand only the love they shared…

1 Like

It varies from child to child. Since your child has mental issues, I would explain that Grandma has been sick and can’t get out of bed. I don’t think I would try to explain death at this point. When that time comes, you will have to try to explain that she went to Heaven to be with Jesus. That once that happens you don’t get to see her anymore. But for now it’s enough to tell her Grandma is sick and has to stay in bed.

1 Like

my Grandchildren went to see my Mom when she was dying, they danced for her thinking she was going to wake up while in the coma

1 Like

As hard as it’s going to be, I would take her!! Years ago when my grandma got sick, (she was my favorite person in the world) the fam agreed I shouldn’t see her and when she passed I was absolutely devastated!!

1 Like

I think she needs to see her after everything is clearly explained to her

1 Like

I would take my son and explain to him the cycle of life and what is happening. Its hard and she will be upset but at least she will understand what is happening which will make it less scary

2 Likes

I would take her to see her grandma. Both your child and your mom would be happy to see each.

1 Like

Let her visit her memaw it might be what both of them need

1 Like

I Get Paid over $ 140 per hour working from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my mate makes over $ 20894 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.

M0re Info… https://inquisitive-mochi-e5d225.netlify.app/

I would absolutely take her, they both need it.

1 Like

As hard as it is… I would attempt to take her… if it’s too much… you can leave. Prayers to you as you lose your mommy♥️

Let her see her. Because if you don’t then she might be more mad at you for not have that time with her.

1 Like

I agree with Kayla Willey our kids father passed away 2 days ago I would give anything for her to give one last hug to her daddy .

Yes let her see her ! And tell her what’s going on . She might not or she might understand but let her go see her mamaw

1 Like

Take her. I did not get to see my dad before he died when I was 6 years old. I am now 61, and have always carried that with me, that I never got a last visit, or last hug and kiss from him.

1 Like

Take her but explain to her what is going on at a 5 year old level.

2 Likes

Yes do what you can
I couldn’t take my 15y.o twin girls to see there nan my mum covid rules so I had to explain to them Nannys dr couldn’t help her get better her kidney has a ouchy and can’t get better we will see nan 1 last time at her funeral explaining how I’d be crying lots other people you don’t know will come say bye to nan because she was there aunty and they are our cousins they said there goodbyes blew her a kiss and that’s it 1 twin had a meltdown wanted to go home 2nd twin sat with me holding my hand don’t cry mummy she kept saying.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t take her. She doesn’t understand.

I would sit her down and explain as much as you can. Take her to visit. Even get some last pictures and selfies with you all together. It could be her last pictures.

2 Likes

I would absolutely take her. We always believe our children aren’t capable of handling things like this, but they absolutely are, with help, guidance and support from you. Especially, if you give her a bit of an explanation as to what is going on, even ask a doctor or a nurse to talk to her. This is a wonderful way to help her experience compassion for a loved family member. She may not be the same, but she still loves her none the less. Grieve together, don’t do it alone and don’t push your daughter away from the experience out of fear.

2 Likes

i would explain things as clearly as possible (i am ND with two ND kiddos, one of them more severe than the other ones, so I hear ya) beforehand, reiterate it all as we got closer and as we headed inside and let her have a chance to say good-bye. I get she gets upset, but this is what could be the last time she can see her GRANDMOTHER, NOT a trip to a store where the nearest outlet is closing down and there are two or three others within an hour’s radius from where you are. It will be tough, but she deserves a chance to say good- bye.

1 Like

Please let her see her mamaw. Your mom needs to see her just as much.

5 Likes

I would let my child see the grandparent

2 Likes

Structure the visit. She may need medication also

1 Like

Yes she needs to see her

1 Like

OF COURSE she needs to see her as much as she can while she is here …xxx :rose::kissing_heart::rose:

2 Likes

Take her and explain that she is angelizing. This is how we explained things to our children. God Bless

Yes! I definitely would!

She needs to see her
A bond between grandma and granddaughter is a special one. Don’t regret that moment

they were both close, they both deserve to spend what little time they have left together. It’s time that they will never have again.

1 Like

Not only take her but video record their time. Also record a long message from your mother to your daughter. Also after your mother dies take at least one shirt your daughter recognizes and either have it made into a Teddy bear or a pillow. If your mom wears perfume keep the same kind and occasionally spray the bear or pillow. Children even disabled ones are able to understand death especially if you take the time to explain how ill your mother is. It is better to give them one last “I love you.” And one last “Good bye.”

2 Likes

Get some children’s books about death and dying, if you have a faith tradition ask the leaders to help you explain things to her. If you believe in heaven tell her she can’t go with her grandma, she still has lots of life to live on earth.

Tell your daughter it’s OK to feel upset, be sad and cry, that you do too. Let your daughter say goodbye in her own way. Let her draw, paint, dance, sculpt out her sadness. It’s tough to see kids be upset, but it’s part of life & will make her more resilient. If you have a funeral/memorial service, give her the chance to contribute /participate in some way. Balance out the sadness by doing fun things with your daughter too that you might not normally do.

1 Like

Remember Her as she was :heart:

1 Like

Take her to see her mamaw

1 Like

Take her to see her. Her mind will be at ease because she will see your mother is ill. Better than regrets dear.

3 Likes

Let her see her as much as possible

1 Like

My mom went through stage 4 breast cancer that metastisized to her brain and she ended up in the hospital because the high dose of steroids they gave her to shrink the brain tumors caused severe mobility issues and she took a fall and hit her head. Turned out when she got to the hospital she also had aspergillus fungal pneumonia (which takes a while to diagnose which fungal pneumonia it could be because cultures take a while to grow) they treated her for the other fungal pneumonia in the meantime and her organs began shutting down (we don’t know if it was because of her cancer or the pneumonia antibiotics) but this was during covid so we weren’t even allowed to come visit her while she was there. My brother and I were only allowed to come the night the hospital said she wasn’t going to make it. Despite how haggard my mom looked and barely being coherent or conscious during the few hours we had left with her, there was nothing more I wished for (except her not passing away) than for my son and daughter to be there (6+3yo at the time) because they were very close with her and I knew there would have been nothing more my mom would have wanted in her final coherent and conscious moments than to see her grandbabies.

2 Likes

yes , you should let your daughter see her mawmaw

2 Likes

If you don’t keep taking her to see your Mom that child will remember that, believe me, when my Mom didn’t take me to see my Dad who was at the VA, hospitalized, couldn’t walk, looked like he was dying I never forgave her for those times. She didn’t care! You should tell her what the situation is and at least let her decide if she wants to see her or not. I still remember my Gram, diabetes caused blindness, crippled her and she wasn’t “There” Finally they had to put her in a home. My Dad told me what the deal was , I went to see her in there and I hugged and kissed her and said goodbye! My neighbor worked at that nursing home. I drew her pictures and wrote her letters and Gail took them to her and would always up date me on how she was. One night my Dad told us kids that she had passed away. He told us about the viewings and asked us if we wanted to go. We all went, I touched her, of course she was cold and I cried my heart out! I think that is why I don’t go to many services. Nobody likes going but some people really have a problem with it. Let her choose Mom!

1 Like

I would take her to see her and try explanation as to why she is ill

Yes…take her. Take pictures. Take videos. Keep talking to her about her Aana (Grandma):four_leaf_clover:I’m sure it will hard at times but, she will understand and forget. Hugs​:hibiscus:

1 Like

Must take her this is a terrible part of life but she should understand death as it’s a big part of it .Needs to see that who she loves will be going up to heaven and taken care of there just sayin

1 Like

This is my post thanks guys. My daughter wants to go but don’t want to go. I know that don’t make sense but she wants her mamaw but like she was and that just isn’t possible. My daughter loves her so much. And I have seen her a few times without my daughter and I let my daughter k ow how she is doing after. We can’t FaceTime cause my mom is 72 and don’t have a cell phone and can’t use a tablet. But I do plan to take my daughter tomorrow to visit her grandmother if she wants to go. My daughter’s mental condition isn’t going to change no matter how old she gets. But I love my mom and my daughter. My mom wasn’t the best mother to any of her kids as we was growing up she walked out of our lives. But my daughter loves her. My biggest thing is I don’t want my daughter to grow up to be mad or resent me cause she didn’t see her grandmother if my mom was to pass away or to be mad at me cause these are the last memories of her grandmother. My grandmother died when I was 3 and I don’t remember her at all. I want my daughter to have memories of her grandmother

4 Likes

Take her, when she’s older she’ll think about it with fondness, if you don’t take her she could regret not seeing her, it’s a memory she’ll have forever. You only have so much time with you’re loved ones value every moment.

1 Like

I would take her. If they have that bond. It was hard for me when my mom passed. For my grandbabies. They are glad they had that time with her.

1 Like

I would take her. Also just explain the situation. She may have the mind of a 4-5yo, but 4-5yo are smart! Be honest and tell her why mawmaw is like that. Don’t hide it away.

2 Likes

My oldest and I were extremely close with my grandmother. She passed in may and my son was 5 and he wanted nothing more then to see her before she passed. Once she was brought home on hospice we went straight over and we saw her and talked to her even if she couldn’t respond back to us. I warned my son ahead of time that it may be scary feeling and that he didn’t have to do it. I also told him I wanted him to remember all the good times he had with her and not how she looked before passing. He was still adamant and cherished every last moment he got with her. He’s never once said anything about being scared of how she looked when passing or anything. He did cry a lot when it happened but to this day he still says how much he liked being able to hold her hand one last time. Now he has a tiny urn with some of her ashes in his room next to some pictures they had together and he talks to that anytime he misses her or feels sad :heart:

4 Likes

Yes take her…prepare her… and answer all her questions age appropriately…prayers :pray:

2 Likes

I’ll tell you from experience. Take her and take her as often as possible. If you don’t when she passes you’ll regret it and have to live with it which sucks

2 Likes

Take her. Let her say goodbye

1 Like

I say let her go to see her and just explain she isn’t feeling well.

Take her to see her especially if they have a close relationship and these are her final moments!:heart:

I wouldn’t stop. Time is precious. Yes, it is hard, but the other will be equally as hard.

Take her to see grandmother

Take her. You know your daughter best but it may be important to try and talk about what is happening to mamaw on terms she’ll understand. My son has lost 2 in 6 months that he had no chance to see one last time and he is 5 1/2, and we have a “heart strings” book that very lightly touches on how our love is connected no matter where we are. It helped him understand without having to say something that would scare him. Im really sorry you’re going through this. My mom is called “mamaw” as well so this really hit home. <3

Yes I would definitely take my child of any age to see them to say there good byes.

Explain to her that mamaw is real sick. That you will take her to see mamaw but she’s not the same, because she is not well.Your daughter needs to see her mamaw. She will understand some day. She will need that closer and know you did the right thing. God bless you and your family.

1 Like

Take her but explain that she’s ill and weak

1 Like

Yes, my parents didn’t let me see my gran before she passed when I was 5. I’m still angry and sad about it

2 Likes

Take her… it’s the only time you have.

2 Likes

She will be sad either way. Either because she passed or because she couldn’t see her one last time. You should take her to say goodbye. Prepare her and explain that it will probably be the last time. She will grieve and thats okay. You can’t shield her from this.

1 Like

My mom passed last year and I regret not letting my daughter see her Mimi before she passed as she was in a hospital before we could bring her home :disappointed:

I Get Paid over $ 140 per hour working from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my mate makes over $ 20894 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.

M0re Info… https://cashhafiz8.netlify.app/

I would absolutely take her. Hugs to all of you. I cannot fathom the emotions. :heart:

3 Likes

Maybe you could video chat somehow and she at least see her…

And she can talk to her then you wouldn’t have to physically take her…

Maybe a Friend can go to the nursing home and you videochat that way.

If she gets upset that your mom doesn’t respond just say she’s sleeping.

Maybe you can eventually tell her a story about heaven to her and say grandma lives there now when the time comes and she wants to see her.