Should 12-year-olds have snapchat?

My 12 year old wants snapchat but i am not very educated about these apps so i figured i would ask if its appropriate…what app is it like? can i control who he adds? or is it like tik tok? help an old lady out lol

34 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should 12-year-olds have snapchat? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

Just make it private and have them only add people they know

1 Like

My 16 and 13 year old daughters are not allowed snapchat

5 Likes

It is an app created by a college student to be able to send nudes without being caught. I would say that’s a hard no for a 12 year old,

5 Likes

Snap chat is an app where you can send pictures, videos or messages to people you friend on there. I would definitely monitor it. The pictures, videos and chats don’t save where you can view them unless they are saved in the chat or to the camera roll. I think it’s harmless but could be risky since they can hide stuff. But my personal opinion is let them have it until proven otherwise. Every kid uses it.

My 9 year old and 7 year old have it. All they talk to is me and my husband when they go to my mom’s

Don’t do it. Don’t let them get it

5 Likes

With younger aged children of both sexes. I’d prefer them to not have access to Snapchat, especially because they can send pictures of God knows what. And those photos can be screenshot and used as black mail. I wish Snapchat wasn’t a thing when I was younger and naïve to manipulative persons.

1 Like

I didn’t have Snapchat until I was about… 15-16?! And I was still too young for it. I wasn’t mature enough.
I wish I didn’t have a phone/social media til at least 18! :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s not like TikTok at all.
Random people can add you. You get spam bots that will randomly message you inappropriate messages and links.
They’re not a good app tbh. Your location can be pinned easily. Not a good thing for 12 year olds when adults use the app often and could randomly add and lure. :confused:

I originally got it for all the fun filters. I don’t chat much on it but I would definitely make sure she’s not sharing her location info and watch who she’s chatting with. The messages disappear after you close the chat so it won’t be able to monitor that way. Make sure it’s only people she knows and they you’re comfortable with not being able to go back and check messages

Snap chat has diseapering chat mode. So no it’s not a good idea

If you get the mmguardian app on the play store for both phones you can see the messages on snapchat even if thy are “deleted” and it can be set to monitor certain words

1 Like

No. Personally, I don’t think anyone should have Snapchat. Definitely not a child or married adult. It does nothing but ask for trouble.

4 Likes

My 12 year old daughter has it. She’s in a chat group with her school so it’s monitored. I trust her though. I try to give her as much freedom as I can within reason. She just got FB tonight but I have the password to look at it.

My 11 year old has it and only people he knows are on it. He cant accept anyone he doesnt know in person.

Honestly it’s no different than any other social media app
Yes messages automatically delete but you can delete any messages you want from any platform :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

No, that’s too young even if it’s monitored. Your child might be mad if you decide to tell her no, but her safety is way more important.

1 Like

It’s the new norm these days for high school. They have groups on there now it’s very much like msn messenger back in the day. It’s how most teens communicate! I trust my daughter to do the right thing and we haven’t had any problems with it!

No and no to cell phones at that age.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t let my 12 year old have it

Snapchat got my daughter into so much trouble with sexting!! It’s so bad!! Never!

2 Likes

You can take pictures with filters, Make video phone calls. Have your location on or off. And send pictures or a short video recording to people and add them to your profile.They stay posted for 24hrs.He can add friends that have the app. You can see his friends list. And block someone if necessary. Whatever they send each other can only be viewed 2 and it disappears.Unless they save it. I guess it depends on the child maturity level.

2 Likes

Private account is fine.

My 13yr son has it but I monitor everything including his messages on it everyday, he hates it but I tell him if he Dosent like me monitoring what his writing or putting on it I can easily delete it

1 Like

My 12 n 13 yr old girls have it …and I regret letting them

Kids can delete their text messages and pictures if they dont want us to see them or download apps like WhatsApp, kik and text now if they really dont want us to know what they’re doing… so I really dont see the difference in snap chat. If you know your child i dont think it’s an issue. My son mainly talks to his friends about sports and video games.

Honestly depends on the child, I have 12yr old bs and 12 Yr old ss, bs is allowed and ss isn’t, it’s based on trust and maturity.

2 Likes

My son has had it for years. He likes using the filters. Never had a issue. My kids have always had cell phones. Especially with all this BS in school now.

No it’s way to personal. My 13 year old son is not allowed on snap sending videos to one another can be very dangerous at this age! Plus the videos sent can only be watched once. So if your child watchs the video then you can not. Hard no for me!

1 Like

Teens/youn’ers with internet and access to apps… you have to be smarter than them and the device!
They will out learn you in a hot minute.

Unfortunately that’s not me, thank goodness we had limited internet until 2020 and my youngest is now 16. No smart phones until my 18 yr old bought his own. But, my 16 yr old has an Ipod and it essentially does the same thing. :smirk:

Umm…probably not a good idea.

It’s an app perfectly designed for cheaters! So that means disappearing content and all! For kids not being supervised constantly, it’s ill-advised! Plus strangers can just add you so keeping track of the comings and goings of naughty pics is almost impossible! Please believe, it’s not good for children! Good luck!

1 Like

No, I also don’t like that it deletes everything so for example if your child is being cyber bullied it deletes the proof and there’s nothing you can do about it :sweat:

No, I also don’t like that it deletes everything so for example if your child is being cyber bullied it deletes the proof and there’s nothing you can do about it :sweat:

1 Like

You totally do what you want. But id suggest NOT letting them have it. Otherwise you would need to monitor it daily, but strangers can sometimes find ways to add or message, and the text messages can be deleted soooo… sooo easily its so hard to monitor it safely.

My 11 yr old has it. But she is not allowed to add anyone but the people I know. She just has me, her dad, my best friend and her cousin on there.

Personally, I don’t think it’s safe for younger pre-teens and teens to use, just because it’s almost impossible to go back and see what images are sent. I would just be concerned for my kid’s safety. I don’t know if there’s some kind of filters to control it, but I wouldn’t take that chance myself.

Yes but I can also see everything cause in the settings you can set to keep forever but mine is also 14 now and he’s had since he was 11

My 10 year old has whatsapp but I monitor it everyday. Told her if there are messages deleted I take the phone away. I monitor it she only has her friends on there me and dad. She has 3 friends no only and the moms monitor it too so we all know that is going on

Probably not the best idea. Maybe you can open an account and share it with her?
After seeing my 13 year old neice on it I strongly recommend downloading it and learn how it works before making that decision. I have one but the way the kids use it these days are on a whole new level.

NO kids shouldn’t unless you’ve got the password and you’re phone number set up

It’s sketchy. I wouldn’t allow it.

Nope … you can control what he sends out but you can’t stop what others post… a few more years maybe :woman_shrugging:t4:

I am not a parent but I think it depends on the child. Definitely add a monitoring app, have the login information and let them know it is a privilege not a “right” and that it can be taken away at any moment for x,y and z reasons.

Depends on the child, and their maturity level, what kind of people they hang around, if you have open communication with them etc… if you trust your 12yr old to do the right thing and have a private profile that only has their friends on it then i guess thats fine. But if not used correctly can easily be used for a predator to talk to your child and locate their whereabouts without you ever knowing. Make sure location is turned off and its private so random people cant add or see your child.

If set to only friends and has to accept requests or you get lots of randoms and not good ones. The app is 13 though. I would monitor any technology though. I do My kids, not because I don’t trust them but is to many weirdos on socials

Whatever you teach them at home, trust that they’ll be going to school and learning all the tricks and tips to get around your rules. Just having a phone is enough for someone that young.

No. My daughter got sent a D pic from someone that had a friend’s name but it was a full grown man that sent the pic with a fake account pretending to be one of her friend’s. And her account was private. I deleted it after that and she hasn’t missed it. She is now 16 years old and still has no social media because SHE doesn’t want it.

1 Like

Only if you monitor it. That means you are allowed to open and respond to snaps

Short answer? No. Long answer? Also no.

4 Likes

I see absolutely nothing wrong with a child having it as long as they are responsible and you monitor it. My son is 12 and has it and is only allowed friends and family, same as facebook, TikTok, and Instagram. The way I see it if you are too strict your kids will only just resent and not won’t to trust you

2 Likes

Honestly, I wouldn’t. It’s an app for messaging but Al’s for taking pictures and sending. A lot of inappropriate things can be done. And, after it’s sent, it’s gone. Unless one of them saves the picture or message. I’d wait a bit. Unless they’re mature and you can monitor

Wow. My 13 year old has a tick toc to watch videos only.

No Snapchat

No Facebook

No Instagram

Honestly, it’s nice and quiet and I love it

1 Like

Depends on the child. My oldest had snap at 14 and was mature enough to know what I would allow and what I wouldn’t. My 12 year old idk I think we might have to wait. Or you could just log in every now and again on your phone to make sure all friends and no weirdos are added. And make sure it’s private to where no one can send anything unless they a re friends.

A 12 year old? That’s gonna be a big nope from me. In fact Snapchat requires the users to be AT LEAST 13, and even that’s too young.

Nope. She’s not mature enough at 12.

Don’t do it, it’s not worth all
The drama that comes with it

You need to become familiar with all forms of social media.
[Snapchat
TikTok
Twitter
Instagram
Twitch
What’s App
Omegle]
At some point, your kid will know you’re not and will likely use it to their advantage.

Snapchat with kids is the absolute worst. Try hold out if you can!

I would say no as only just recently has a 22 year old man in my town been charged for grooming under-age girls and having sexual relationships with them and the main source of contact is snapchat.

My 11 year old had Facebook messenger and tiktok but has to ask me and show me what he is up loading on tiktoc but isnt allowed snap or anything else

I wouldn’t allow it honestly

My daughter has it, But only family and close Friends on there. She checks with me before even accepting them. I check it often and she knows I will just delete it straight away if I see she added anyone she didn’t know. I trust her, she’s not allowed Facebook or tiktok tho.

4 Likes

My 13 year old has had a snap chat for over a year now. Her friends have it and her Dad and stepmother and I have it. She snaps us all. Her notification are crazy though because kids that age do a lot of group chats. She’s in 7th grade going into 8th grade. She got it due to being in middle school as the next milestone.

My daughter also has tiktok but honestly she just does tiktok videos and uses snapshot to talk to people and friends

My daughters both have snap chat (10/12)it’s friends and family on it. Most of their friends are in it as well. they are not allowed ticktok, we did have it and the shit people were posting was crazy

Hell No. I Don’t understand When Some 12 year olds are on Facebook either I don’t think I will be letting my son have Tiktok or FB or Snapchat at age 12 But hey that’s me

1 Like

I’m 26… I use it to send my topless pics to people of interest lol just because you control how long the pic is there and you cannot access it after it is gone. So no I wouldn’t let my kids use it. They’re 6&8 and would like to. But the app is basically for disappearing photos and “sexting” (sending lewds and nudes)

I think it’s a maturity question … I would like to think that most kids are innocent and would do anything nasty but I’m not that naive, you can try and shield them for ever but eventually they will go rogue and do it anyway best to have a good relationship with your kids so they can ask/ tell you anything and everything without fear of getting in trouble.

Kids messenger is great as you can monitor who she is talking to and what she is talking about.

My 10 year old has had Snapchat since she got a phone…… I can check who she’s friends with and who she talks to bc she saves the chats…… I’ve never had a problem with her having it…… she’s a smart kid and also knows I will take that phone from her in a heartbeat. Like someone else said it’s a maturity level thing also. My child is very mature for her age…

1 Like

I believe 13+ could have certain socials. Kids don’t even need to use messanger because there is messanger for kids like mine use. They use snapchat to snapchat me and their dad sometimes depending if they’re with me or him.

I think if they’re mature enough they could probably use some sort of socials even with rules that you set so you know they’re using it for certain use and no harm. Making sure they only add certain people whether it is family or friends or both only for safety reasons.

And if you do allow them to, just make it so if they break a rule/your trust one time then get rid of their socials or something til they’re abit older.

Help? Or advice?
Why do these kids need any of this anyways?? They need outdoors, board games with family/friends IN PERSON, chores, not electronic devices in their hands…but that’s just me. We didn’t need snap chat or TikTok or Fortnite growing up. My 11 year old, 10 year and 8 year old know technology is to be used for educational purposes only. But these days, technology is being used as “babysitters”. Get real.
No they don’t need it!
What’s wrong with parents today!?!?
I’m an old head too and I just don’t get it. Whether I know how to work these things or not is irrelevant, these kids need PARENTS NOT APPS! Period.

4 Likes

Kids shouldn’t be on social media

2 Likes

Seriously, some of these comments are ridiculous :roll_eyes: and yet a lot of parents wonder why their kids don’t want to tell them anything

4 Likes

l get paid over $177 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18271 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingincome397.pages.dev/

1 Like

Mine had it. I made sure her setting were set for the messages to keep for 25 hours and I checked her phone at the end of each day. Hell, she’s 15 now and still has it set that way and asks me daily if I want to look at it. Even messages with her boyfriend she will ask me. Put trust in them and you will be suprised what happens, that or I just have one of the good ones.

2 Likes

Absolutely not. I get random adds, messages and pics all the time from weirdos!! A 12 year old should not be on any form of social media whatsoever, especially nowadays.

1 Like

I would allow my child to have Snapchat if she is that age, but I would teach them about being safe on the internet as well as monitor it if I get suspicious. My parents let my sisters and I have different apps on our phones when we were kids. We were just taught how to be safe on the internet, don’t post inappropriate pictures, don’t add people you don’t know, teach them how to block people, and make sure they know that if something happens - they can come to you for anything (you want them to trust you), etc. People will say they won’t allow their kids to have social media until they are a certain age but I grew up with several people who “weren’t allowed” but made social media accounts behind their parents back using a fake name and blocking their entire family. I’d rather allow my child to have it and teach them to be safe and responsible than them go behind my back

2 Likes

As an old techno phobe with adult children who have their own families now I have enough bother with fb & messenger lol.
My settings are private and I still get unwanted messages /pics from complete strangers.
No matter what kids use there are always dangers from groomers and bullies.

Absolutely not !!!

1 Like

Why? Why does your child want this? Who will they be talking to?

My oldest is 15 and doesn’t even want any type of social media so I’m not really any help

I’m a 6th grade teacher & I would 100% tell you that at that age they are not at all ready for apps like SnapChat. I see & hear about it on a regular basis.

6 Likes

Snapshot requirements say you have to be atleast 13, I know that doesn’t mean one can’t be recreated. I would tell her you would revisit the conversation when she is 13. That gives you time to learn about the app and decide if she is responsible and mature enough for that type of social media. As far as kids shouldn’t have phones…I agree but we live in a different time and I feel safer knowing these kids can reach in their pocket and call for help.

1 Like

My 13 and 11 year old has one. I pick up the phones when ever I’d like to. I also have a 10 year old I think she’s to little for. I’ve never sugar coated anything in life from my children I let them have Snapchat because I feel like they’re responsible enough for it.

1 Like

My 11 year old has one to message me from with the silly filters. She is responsible. I can see who the friends are, who she sends messages to. She only has me and like 2 others but she likes the filters. No other social medias.
I mean we were exploring the new world wide web, with our new found computers around that age. :person_shrugging:

My 10yo son recently asked me for a snap chat to talk to his friends. I’m 32 and alot of my friends use it, but I wasn’t familiar. I downloaded the app and made the acct for myself just to see… and I decided not quite yet. We compromised with kids messenger to talk to his friends, have you looked into that?

No. I can not tell you how many random dicks I’ve been sent on snapcjat. You also can’t monitor it bc everything deleted

2 Likes

My 13 year old has it. He talks to his friends that way

l get paid over $177 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18271 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingincome426.pages.dev/

I would not. Too many kids use the app for bullying. I wouldn’t unless I am convinced my child is emotionally mature enough to handle it all.

2 Likes

You can control it. My grand daughter has it. She thinks she is posting things but it only goes to her mother

I don’t think so I personally would say no just bc the messages disappear. Who knows what they’re sending or getting.

1 Like

Absolutely not. Keep your children off social media for as long as possible!!! it’s so damn toxic, and very damaging to a young developing mind.

1 Like

Mine wouldn’t. Mine probably won’t even have a phone at that age. Not until they can pay for it.

1 Like

Nope I wouldn’t they are nothing but a problem and you’ll find kids get into things they shouldn’t be or talk how they shouldn’t be.

They have a messenger for kids that can connect to u thru Facebook.

My daughter is 15 and doesn’t have snap chap now I feel kinda bad seeing y’all let your kids have it lol am I being over the top with saying no ?