Should a child be forced/encourage to call their step mom, "mama"?

Why are you going to force a child to call another adult whom shares no blood relativity mom or dad if it is not the real mom and dad. It should be that the child chooses whether or not they want to call the other person’s mom or dad or Mama and Papa she never force a child to do something that they don’t want to do especially when it has to come to the mom and the dad they don’t want to have to choose between their real mother and real father so don’t force them to

Encouraged: yes. Forced: hell no. And by encouraged I don’t mean overly encouraged, but they should know that it’s appreciated, nothing more, nothing less.

1 Like

I think it’s up to the family and what we think doesn’t matter!

1 Like

Let the child make that choice…and in their own time…

The child should do whatever it is comfortable with. Mine call me by my name. If they slip and call me mom, I remind them I’m a bonus mom, in addition to their Mom

Child should call them what they want.

It’s not okay to force. But it’s fine to suggest if they’re comfortable calling her that.

1 Like

Never force a child of any age to call her mom. If you do, you got issues not them.

Not only no, but HELL no. She is not Mom, Mama or anything titled Mom as long as the birth, real Mom is involved. Find another name.

The child should call the step-mom whatever he/she feels comfortable calling her. Why make an issue out of it and force anything? That’s silly.

As a stepmom, they can call you what THEY what, when THEY want, and if THEY want not forced at all nuff said

As someone who has a step mom (since I was 3-4), do not force them

I don’t make my step kids call me mom, but when my son comes home and this baby is born I’ll ask them to around the babies so they don’t call me Autumn lol

A stepchild should not be forced to call stepmom
Mama (Mom) I am a Stepmom & StepGmom
and always have gone by my first name
It’s totally what is comfy with the child
Not forced :thinking:

Its up to the child but dont force anything

No i dont think so. If the chikd does it on their own i dont see an issue. But wheather the bio mother is in the picture or not i dont think its something that should be forced

A child should never be forced to call anyone mama unless she or he wants to.

That shouldn’t be forced on a kid, that’s weird and will push the kid away if anything

To me, and I know Im mean and petty, If my kids want to call their dads gf/wife something, it better be a name not related to Mama, mom, mommy-ish. You have one set of parents in your life and I think it’s kinda crappy. If mine want to 🤷 I guess whatever, but my heart will absolutely break everytime they do

Like the old saying: You get more flies with honey than with vinegar: Forcing anything on another person never works. Period.

Well you’ve got ur answer, let the child bond first, they may call you by ur name bt it won’t be forever so no need to force unless afta something else.

No to forcing to call her mom, that’s wrong when she already has a mom

Its up to the child.

1 Like

it should be left up to the child. I called my step dad by his name except when I was talking to a 3rd party, then I would just say my mom and dad just because it was simpler.

I think it would depend on how close the kid and step mom became. Their choice

Personally no. A child should never be forced.

I think every situation is different, so to set rules that apply to everyone is crazy.

Not the mum why would they call them mum, first name good

Never!!! That should be the child’s choice no matter!!!

only if the mom isn’t around. dead. or just not around.

1 Like

Forced no, but some may want to depending on the situation.

No, they shouldn’t be forced. The child should feel and want to call their step parent mama of they choose if they have that bound.

Nope absolutely would not want my kid calling someone else mom.

Never put a child in that position. Let him/her make their own decision when they are ready

No, it should always be the child’s choice

Should NEVER force the child to call step-.mother “mom”

No, if the child chooses to that’s one thing but you shouldn’t force it.

If it comes naturally then sure go with it, but I think it’s weird to force it

It’s best to let the child decide what to call the Stepmom

no. a child should never be forced to call anyone but their biological mother ‘mom.’ that’s something that an outsider needs to earn.

1 Like

no, a different “name” should be used

Yes a mom is always your mom ,but a stepchild should call stepmom whatever they’re comfortable with. Mine called me but my first name.

If the bio mom is very much in the picture the step mom needs to move around.no they should never be forced or incouraged

When she is ready that would mean her mama has earned the honour. No forcing. Rape of a different. Kind. Never force a child to do anything if not ready.

Are yall married ? Forced no that’s a bad idea especially if his mom is present

Prefer Tita…so as not to detach kid from bio mom…

No! He/she should be free to call her by her first name if they want to! She has to earn that title!

Pack in the day you can call that person auntie or uncle

Hell no, it’s the child’s choice if they want to call you that. It can’t be forced it’s gotta be earnt

So I was encouraged to call my step dad dad from a young age (2/3). Don’t get me wrong he is my dad, my bio dad is a dead beat, but when I was young it was confusing and caused trouble with my bio dad. He didn’t like it atall. I’d always have to watch what I said because in my childhood innocence when I would say ‘my other dad’ there would be sarcastic comments made on his part and he would put me in a difficult position and ask me ‘youve only got one dad who’s your dad’ and alot more, being questioned like that so young is not nice and u soon learn to watch what u say. It wasn’t a one off it was every weekend, but he’d make all these comments and remarks to me not to my mum. (Yea he’s a d**k). Now altho I wouldn’t ever have my children call another person mum or dad, I only say that because the way it made me feel as a child and i wouldn’t want my children to feelxlike I did from the other parent My (step)dad has been my real dad from day 1 and is my only dad as of years ago because bio dad was in and out my life few years in few years out I grew up to c what he was like so knew who my actual father-figure was. My real dad (step) has been my dad from day dot through the good the bad the ugly.

1 Like

personally my husband and I leave that upto the kids

2 Likes

No Shes not their mother.

1 Like

I am a stepmom. I let her call me what made her comfortable.

I believe the child has one mother. She is only one who the child should call mama. If case of bio mom not being in child’s life for any reason and step mom has become only mother figure the child knows then would be okay to call her mama.

If bio mom isnt in childs life then it would be ok to call her mom . I would be upset if my kids called another woman mom . She can be called by her name .

Mine call me Aunty, or Aunty Momma, or just mom…I’m ok with what ever name thay call me…they all know I love them all the same.

no she has a name and the relationship begins there

A child will call a lady by mama according to the time and love spent to them.

No let it be mama someone eg mama sam

Call step mom mama plus their name as mama Susan.

No never force a child let them decide what to call you

Fuck no that messes with a child’s head, just because you filled the position doesn’t mean you earned the title.

My bonus daughter calls my mama Kelli or mommy or mama

Whatever they are comfortable with.

A fun name but not mom

We let them call us whatever they want.

Let the child decide

My stepfather was in my life from age 4 and I’m 43. I never called him dad. I was told it was my choice and that’s the way it should be. Nobody should be forced

2 Likes

Whatever the child is comfortable with

Absolutely not!!! I would be livid!!

Shouldn’t be forced, encouraged or discouraged

My daughter calls her step mom momma. She was young and were other children in the house. Was only natural for her. Don’t be hating on step moms they are helping raise your kids!

No,never, they have a mom

No, the child will decide that. You earn it.

Do what the child is comfortable with, never force it.

3 Likes

No no no. First name is respectable enough.

If forced no. If chosen yes. I have a step dad whose been in my life since I was 9 months old. Growing up I was told I could call him by his name or dad or whatever I wanted to call him. I chose to call him dad/daddy/papa. My real dad passed away when I was 7 years old and my step dad really stepped up and became a father to me. My mom and him are now divorced and I still have him in my life as my dad. I now have a step daughter myself. And she calls me Mrs. Carly and has ever since I’ve known her since she was 5 years old (shes 9 now). I told her she can call me whatever she would like. And one day out of no where before she even fully knew what step mom actually meant, she looked me in the eye and said, “you’re the best step mom I could ever have.” She still doesnt call me mom, but every once in a while shell call me step mom instead of Mrs. Carly.

No… She’s not her mom. Think of another nick name.

no. let the child decide

As someone who had a step parent force me to call her mom, don’t force it
It is uncomfortable and creates resentment towards you. You MAY be able to earn the title but every kid is different

I had 2 children already when I met my now husband. We had a child together and I explained to my kids that we wanted them to call him dad or daddy when our son was little because we didn’t want our child together referencing him as his name :grimacing: Luckily my older children were old enough to understand that

My son calls his step dad by his name since he was 18 months but considers him his real dad. His real dad a pos and you cant tell him any different. If someone refers to him about his real dad he will flat out say he is not my dad he is a sperm doner. And i am fine with that

I don’t know if there’s a single right answer here. Each family situation is different.
Forcing shouldn’t be a thought though, just suggest and guide as long as everyone is okay with it.

Its up to the child. You can’t force that kind of love on a child

It’s wrong to force a child to call anyone anything. If they don’t want to or don’t feel comfortable, that’s their right

Nope!!! You have to let the kids get there on their own. You can tell them it’s ok to call them mom or mama or by their name until they are ready to call them mom or mama. Forcing this on the child only creates problems for the kid especially if the divorce was not amicable.

Sounds like new mom wants to be accepted and motherly. No prob.

1 Like

I would beat the Hell out of the step mom if she pushed my child to call her anything but her name., And if the father is part of the problem he too will get the shit beat out of him for the disrespectful crap.

No. My kids were given a choice. Loyalty to the natural parent should never be denied.

Absolutely not , mama is not a name it’s a title

Personally NO, that is an earned title. At that age, they might come to refer to the stepmom as Mom but force, never.

no she has a real mama and the step should be called by her name.

No dont force that on them
They will choose on their own if they want to or not

That’s up to the child.

No. Step mama ain’t mama. Simple.

No, let the kids decide

Just let them use whatever they want! They’re a kid, and at the end of the day if you want the child to actually be comfortable with you, and actually have a desire to call you as such, then you need to be flexible and let them say it at their own pace. For some kids when you force them to call step parents “mom” or “dad” then it can feel like you’re trying to force the kid to replace their other parent.
Basically, you shouldn’t ever force it and if you do, you’re an ass!

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should a child be forced/encourage to call their step mom, "mama"? - Mamas Uncut

2 Likes

No,… a child should never call his step Mom, mama… My daughter has certainly helped raise her step children but would never want them to call her Mom…that is reserved for her own sons… She loxes the step children just like they were her own but reserves the right to be Mom for their mother, anyone can only have one Mom and one Dad… Itis a real insult to the woman who gave them life.

2 Likes

Forced, never. Supportive, sure. I’m noth bio and step mom and I always tell my SD to call me what she feels comfortable with. And I always encouraged my bio kids to call their step mom what they felt comfortable with.