Should a child who misses school attend sports?

It depends. If it’s something that they can go to arms just sit out of, they sound go. That way they have the information arbs are still learning bit not participating. Sometimes being in school is just too much

no school, no sports.

1 Like

My rule has been NO SCHOOL NO OUTSIDE

1 Like

No sports if you miss school

2 Likes

No school no extra curricular activities

1 Like

That seems reasonable no school no sports or after school activities

1 Like

If you missed school because you’re sick then no sports

1 Like

No school means nothing extracurricular and no video games/YouTube etc

3 Likes

Our daughter plays school ball and if they miss school they cannot attend games or practice that day so that applies to all of our activities after school in our family.

1 Like

No school, no activities. Absolutely no exceptions!

2 Likes

Why would you risk getting other children sick, or making your child worse? That’s a pretty well accepted rule.

4 Likes

To sick for school to sick for anything else
Is my rule this includes the job my 16yr old has

3 Likes

If you can’t go to school then you can’t go to anything else.

1 Like

No school, no sports and no friends over.

No school----nothing else

Nope… If we missed school we were stuck in our rooms ALL DAY… no tv, no electronics… Litterly NOTHING. We could come out for the bathroom and food, that’s it! Till we went to school the next day. Def made us think twice before we missed school. It was soooooo boring! Lol

1 Like

If kids are truly ill, they wpuld just want to chill on their bed/on a sofa with you and not do much… Children can use sickness as an excuse, but soon change their minds if they want to go outside or eat chocolate!

If they don’t go to school they don’t go to any afterschool activities

1 Like

No school=no sports/activities.

When I was in school, if you missed school you couldn’t practice or play in a game and that was the school rule. You HAD to be in school for at least 4 classes to participate.

No sports if sick could get everyone else sick !!! If u r sick u stay home

1 Like

Also school activities u aren’t allowed at if u didn’t go to school that day if u couldn’t attend school why would u attend sports I mean it’s common sense

If my child misses school then they stay in bed unless I have to go out they come out to use the bathroom and eat that’s it by some miracle they’re always well enough for school the next day lol

2 Likes

Oh please lol this is common sense, to sick to go to school, to sick to go to sports, wow :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Aye to sick for school, to sick for other activities.

Yep can’t go to school , they don’t go anywhere else…
I would send mine to bed for the day and if they start becoming annoying and bouncing around then they start cleaning and doing all the boring jobs, but nothing after school since they’re too “sick”

Agree. To sick for school mine better stay in bed til the next morning.

If you’re sick and have to miss school then you shouldn’t be doing something as active as sports.

2 Likes

Our rule is if you miss school because you’re sick then you’re too sick to participate in any after school activity

That is ur decision to make as their mother. Do what u think is right and be sure they no the rules.

No school no sports!

No school then no sports or fun.

If they miss school then they miss sports

Totally agree with you, then maybe next time he won’t play sick or she

You’re right. No school no activities.

I agree. The rule in my house is if you’re too sick for school you’re too sick to do anything. No video games or tv. Stay in bed and rest. Usually just the threat of a day of boredom is enough to make them go to school. Unless they are really sick. Then they stay home in bed but I’ll let them watch tv or read a book. It definitely helps them decide If they are faking or not.

I was in competitive dance when I was younger and it didn’t matter if you were sick you showed up to practice twice a week. If you were honestly that sick you still had to show and sit on the bench to learn the new moves that way.

agreed miss school miss other activities

I totally agree. Too sick for school, too sick for extracurricular activities.

If my kids miss school they miss any extracurricular activity

Lol that kid skipped a test or homework they didnt want to do.

Thats not a sick kid if they can do sports

Agreed. Can’t make it to school definitely shouldn’t be attending to sports. It’s about grades when it comes to sports

I agree to sick for school to sick for sports… that goes for bad attitude and grades too.

1 Like

You are 100% CORRECT!!!

1 Like

That’s what my mom did. Not just with sports. With youth events too. It really made me think about how sick I felt

I agree,no school no play.and try and find out if anything is going on at school to make the child not want to go to school…

You said it too sick for school too sick for anything thats how my son was raised

Yes I agree if they are too sick to go to school then they are too sick to go to do curricular activities like sports or go out of the house period

No school no activities

2 Likes

If we missed school that day because we was sick then we missed whatever activity we had that day too

1 Like

Keep them home, don’t be spreading germs everywhere

1 Like

if they missed school in my case no football and no dance lessons, if you are too sick for school, you are too sick for the activities you love

1 Like

I tell my kids if they are sick and miss school, they also miss sports. I also make then lay down and not be playing around, either. It helps me to see if they are faking to get out of school or if they really are sick.

My mom did that to me growing up and now that I’m a mom i agree with her. If we didn’t feel good enough for school then we didn’t feel good enough for sports.

1 Like

My kid would not do anything if he/she were sick

Yep I agree :100:. One of mine didn’t go to school yet wanted to go to the movies with her friends that nite. Yeah rite, like that’s gonna happen LOL :joy:

1 Like

Usually I say sick for school, sick for fun stuff. However, there may be something going on you don’t know. My son was not fond of school. Turned out a much bigger boy was bullying him and no one stopped it. Check thing out.

3 Likes

Too sick for school too sick for anything else!

If you aren’t feeling well enough to attend school then same day no other activities, your body needs rest and you could still be infectious or w.e.

If my kids miss school, they miss everything. No sports, no screen time, no electronics.

2 Likes

I thought that was a given in every household.

1 Like

Sounds like you are doing the right thing and being a good parent .

1 Like

Yep. Signed, a retired sports coach

Nope. Too sick for school, too sick for anything else.

1 Like

If my children did not go to school they did not attend after school activity. They might even miss the weekend activity if they missed school on friday

Definitely…I agree

Agree! No school no sports! School comes first!

2 Likes

Agreed no school no after school sports. We don’t even allow them to play video games. If you don’t go to school bc your sick. Then you rest all day.

2 Likes

Agreed! And I’m answering this from the viewpoint of a Mom whose kid is asleep on the couch with the flu but wants to go to karate tomorrow. Nope!

1 Like

Agreed
if I missed school then I was in the house all day.
Too sick for school to sick for anything.

2 Likes

Exactly and they have the pleasure of visiting their bed to rest of the day.

Agreed! No school no after school activities

Agreed. I would maybe remind them next time earlier in the day that if they need to stay home there won’t be any activites later that day. Kind of give them a heads up lol

When you are a part of a school sport, if you miss school you typically can’t attend the sport.

No school no extracurricular activities, no video games, no friends over. That means you are sick and sick people should be in bed resting.

This was often the litmus test for just how sick my kids were. If I reminded them there would be no sports if they stayed home, and they did not protest an ounce, it was a good bet they were really feeling bad. If they tried to convince me that they would be “better” by then, they got extra encouragement from me to extract their butts from the bed and get to school.

1 Like

I have had my child miss school but after so long being on medicine they feel better so I think it depends on what they have and if on medicine

1 Like

Agreed. I used to teach dance and I had kids come in who had been sick all day but were “better” (either the parents decided or they did depending on age) they always ended up feeling sick again half way through. So sometimes it may not just be an excuse to miss… it might just be that they want to go so bad and are feeling a bit better. The physical activity usually proves to be too much.

If they can’t go to school the worst thing for them to do is wear themselves down going to sports. They need rest to handle school and sports better. This crap of some coaches wanting them to “push through” the illness is bs. One kid collapsed on the field because his coach and dad told him to be tough and push through his cold. He collapsed on the field. Diagnosed and in the hospital for 2 weeks with double pneumonia. His doctor chewed his dad and coach up one side and down the other. Kid almost died.

The same day? Yes they should miss the sport

Agreed! My mom was even strict to say that if we missed even one day that week we couldn’t do or go to games that weekend. I don’t feel that way, but if my child misses a day and has practice or a game that day, nope. Sorry to the team, but hes sick enough to miss school then no games or practice or even music stuff (choir, band and so on) no activities that day. Especially since when sick you don’t want others to catch it, one of the reasons to stay home from school!

No school, no activity. Rest and relaxation. Period.

You set the rules. Just follow through every time. Not just some of the time. I believe your approach is sound.

Hell no…you can’t go to school you can’t go to play your sport

Totally agree with you. If you’re too poorly for school, you’re too poorly for after schools clubs/activities.

I agree with you mama

I agree, no school, no sports.

No school, No sports or after school activities!

1 Like

I agree … sick is sick

Absolutely , sports are a privilege not a right!

Ask them why they didnt want to go to school. There could be something serious going on. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Im the same way! My momma was that way and Im that way.

Nope. You don’t go to school, the only other place you’re going is the doctor or to pick up your medicine.

Agree. Too sick for school…too sick for sports and such

No school no nothing

No school no sports!

That’s how it was at my house

your ding the right thing

Yep, if you can’t go school you can’t do after school clubs that’s always what I told mine

That’s how we do it at my house. No school no after school activities

No. If they miss school for being sick no after school activities.