Should a woman propose to her boyfriend?

I want to get married and am tired of waiting to be asked…so i want to ask my boyfriend…but i dont want him to feel like im taking this moment of asking away from him…should i propose?

64 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/should-a-woman-propose-to-her-boyfriend/20976

No don’t look desperate

3 Likes

I proposed to my partner on his birthday and he loved the idea as it’s not everyday their partner proposes

I think you should trust your intuition.

1 Like

Read him a story about a girl that did it and see how he reacts. Some people are into it some aren’t. Both are ok.

2 Likes

Or you could talk to him…

8 Likes

Just tell him. I wouldn’t want to put all the energy into proposing if he’s not ready, and if he hasn’t asked he may be on a different page than you.

4 Likes

I told my husband that we were getting married! And honestly best decision of my life

if she wants to, why should it always be the man? women are always complaining that their partners haven’t proposed yet😂 so stop waiting, and do it yourself, or stop expecting him to want to get married. not everyone wants to and that’s fine.

Nothing wrong with asking him it’s the new norm

Go for it. It’s 2022 if you want to propose to him do it❤️

1 Like

How long you guys been together? We need a little more information… like if y’all been together more than 3/4 years and he still hasn’t you then there’s a reason and he might not want to be married.

2 Likes

Now days it doesn’t matter

No. If he wanted to marry you he would have mentioned it or asked already

3 Likes

Hell yeah. It’s not just for men to do. Women do it all the time. If you want to, do it! Who cares what others think.

3 Likes

I didn’t ask, neither did my husband. We both mutually agreed it was time . We had our wedding , reception, and everything in-between planned out in a month. Lol. :bride_with_veil:t3::person_in_tuxedo:

2 Likes

I asked my husband… he said yes, we planned the wedding, got married and than was 9 years ago…

1 Like

Maybe he hasn’t asked u cause he doesn’t want to trapped??

1 Like

You should if you really want it that bad

No rules in 2022. If you believe that your relationship is at that point, go for it. It’s an equal opportunity world if you want it to be.

3 Likes

I Would Assume You’ve Both Discussed This… ?..Possibly He’s Not Ready To Have Sexual Intercourse With You Yet So Is Postponing His Proposal .?

3 Likes

Hell no. If he wants to marry you he will ask you. Mice around if he’s taking too long.

Don’t propose. Just don’t. If he is ready he will ask. You need to sit down and find out if he is marriage minded and if he is, maybe you aren’t “the one “ :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

No, probe him to see how he feels low key and act accordingly. If he is indecisive, he may not be the one and you will have a decision to make.

It’s 2022 if you want to ask the man to marry you then I think you should do just that.

2 Likes

Depends on your boyfriend. Can’t use other ppl to dictate what you should do. We don’t know him. Some are fine with it, some aren’t. I’d bring it up in a discussion “hypothetical” and feel it out…

4 Likes

I did! We have been married 13 years now. I knew what I wanted!

Well, Beth proposed to Rip, so…

No ! If he wanted to get married he would have asked you already. If he doesn’t want to get married then you may chase him off

1 Like

I mean there’s mainly 3 scenarios. He hasn’t asked because he doesn’t want to marry you. Then the others are that you ask & he either says yes or no. So at least come to terms with worse case scenario being him saying he doesnt want to marry you then ask him.

Maybe have a few discussions and see where they go. Kinda feel it out and see where he stands and go from there. That way your not left feeling rejected and he’s not left feeling guilty or anxious. There’s no rules as to who asks who but deff important to be on the same page. We don’t know your relationship details either so it’s hard to dictate what should happen here.

1 Like

Sure why not?! Guys like to feel wanted and appreciated too

2 Likes

Recieve a no answer and ruin your day if you want to.

5 Likes

No…. That’s just weird. “If he wanted to, he would.”

My buddy’s ex was apparently going to “propose to him”…. Her way of trying to get him back. Yuck.

Maybe theres a reason he hasnt asked but i mean worse case you get shut down

2 Likes

Yes. Why does it have to be the guy proposing?

Are you trying to hurt your own feelings? He’s clearly not ready or he’d ask…

No. There’s a reason he has not I’m sure 

I think one important question is how long have you been together?

1 Like

No, if he wanted to be married he would ask.

I asked my husband to marry me…nothing special, just laying in bed one night. We’ve been happily married for over 3 years now and he wasted no time giving me a yes! He didn’t ask bc he didn’t know if that’s what I wanted!

1 Like

If you want to propose, do it. Your love shouldn’t be bound by the limited minds of other ppl.

1 Like

How long have to two been together and have you two discussed marriage before hand?

How long have you been together?

1 Like

If you are that desperate sure !!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’m joking , you just have to be careful because usually of a guy is ready to marry he will ask , you can just put pressure on him and drive him away , also do you really think that he is the one, of you are just tired of waiting to be ask and just want to marry ANYONE, be careful because sometimes women put to much pressure on them trying to please society and family and want to get stuff done ( like to be married and having kids) at certain age even if they are not ready just because it’s what is expected from them.
Take your time and do not rush into anything

1 Like

Idk why we as women wait to be purposed to. If you want to marry him, ask him to marry you!

3 Likes

If he wanted to, he would.
Stay at Home Moms :fire:

2 Likes

Just bring up marriage and joke that you should propose and see where that goes

This is for real, me & my husband asked each other at the same time. We just knew it. :two_hearts:

I mean that’s your prerogative however I’d rather eat glass than ask my bf to marry me. Idk that’s just me. We’ve been together almost 5 years— he hasn’t proposed yet and if he never does then he never does but it’s on him lol

When I told my (now) husband that I went shopping and bought a very special dress, then told him I bought a dress to get married in - he said “so are you asking me to marry you?”
I said “yes, because I’m worried you’re not going to get around to it”. We’d only met a week earlier, but I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt he was God’s plan for me.
Our 37th anniversary is in October, we gave two wonderful daughters, 5 grandchildren whom we adore, and we’ve worked together in real estate for 26 years.

So…I say if it feels right, yes!

2 Likes

I asked mine! He said YES

People on this thread need to throw away old age thinking. Woman can propose too. I did and my man said hell yeah. We have 2 kids and have the happiest marriage. Bottom line is, if you want to know where you stand in a relationship with your man, ASK! Communication is the key to all relationship. If he says no, at least you know you need to move on to someone who will love you the way you deserve. Dont waste your time or your youth. Your not getting any younger.

1 Like

I just told my boyfriend about this post. He said he’d tell me no because it’s his job to ask me. :joy:

1 Like

I asked my husband. Iafe reservations at the melting pot and had them write it on a plate.

My sister in law proposed to my little brother and they are happily married.

Why not.
I’ve been proposed to 3 times.

1 Like

Just bring it ip in conversation

I think you need to have a serious conversation with your boyfriend about marriage. Tell him you want to marry him and you don’t want to wait to be asked. Ask him how he feels about getting married and that will give you your answer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a woman asking a man to marry her.

3 Likes

Depends on him. Some men are more traditional and might think it’s emasculating to be asked (not saying that’s how I feel about it, but I’ve seen other men say this.) Talk to him about your future together openly and see how the convo goes. You’ll kind of get a hint on where to go from there.

1 Like

It always depends on the couple. How does he act toward you? Is he affectionate? Is he interested in your life? Does he seem interested in the same stuff you are? Are your goals close to the same? Does he have annoying habits that will eventually get on your nerves? Is he overbearing or laid back? Is he normally caring about his family or is he a mama’s boy? Make sure you know the answers to all possible questions. If you do, then you’ll feel like you can go ahead and ask.

Don’t do that!!! Have you had conversations about marriage at some point ? I did this once and always regretted it. If he truly loves you …he will , if not maybe he isn’t the one for you.

1 Like

Depends, how long have you guys been together?

I did! Married 5 years, together 7 with two kids!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t. Do you want to spend the rest of your life wondering if he would have ever proposed or ever really wanted to take that initiative? Or if it was just you pushing things along.

Be prepared for the answer

5 Likes

Rings are expensive… it may be taking him time if he is saving up for it. Have a serious conversation about your future together but don’t put pressure on him.

3 Likes

Me and my husband just had a conversation about marriage and decided to get up the next day and go get married. He didn’t care about a wedding bc he don’t have a big family and hadn’t been in our area long so didn’t have many friends. I just didn’t want a wedding. I don’t like being center or attention and I hate wearing dresses make up etc…we’ve been happily married for going on 7 years.
We both just knew and had since the beginning…that’s the conversation we had the night before we went.

2 Likes

I suggest a serious conversation about the topic and yalls future. And be mindful of bis responses, just incase he’s not open to marriage.

1 Like

Talk to him first about it. Topic of marriage needs to be talked about during dating so you don’t end up wasting years with someone who has no intentions of marrying you. You ask during the time that you are dating if he wants a serious relationship & tell him that you are looking for a commitment. Not saying you have to rush to get married but you want to make sure that you are firm at the beginning about what you want in life & make sure that he is on the same page…there are chances that things don’t end up working out that feelings can change later on but you still want to make sure that marriage is still a future plan.
Tell him that you want to know now what he wants to do before it’s too late.

3 Likes

If he wanted to he would! Face the music

3 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t do that, but I think it depends on your specific relationship. Be prepared for his answer and best of luck! Also if you’ve ever invisioned that moment of being proposed TO, know you’re taking that away as well. I imagine it’s a lot different being proposed to and proposing if that makes sense.

1 Like

Just because you or him proposes,
Whichever way it goes doesn’t change the fact you’re still not married… lol Js.

1 Like

Maybe talk to him about it first to see where he stands on marriage

1 Like

I did been married 8 years

2 Likes

They absolutely can :raised_hands:t2: I support it

Make sure you know his feelings about you and marriage first.

3 Likes

Talk to him about his feelings about marriage , not everyone wants to get married

5 Likes

I told mine I would never get married again. We date for over 3 years and then I told him I’m ready. So in a way I did, but he did in words. We have been married for almost 9 montha

2 Likes

I think it’s fine to propose. But better question is why has he not proposed? If he’s really not interested in the long-term relationship, it’s likely he’ll turn you down.

1 Like

NO!!! Obviously he doesn’t want to marry you…time to have a long talk with YOURSELF and decide if you can really see him EVER asking…

2 Likes

I mean you can, but do you have a plan if he says no?
Also, marriage is just a piece of paper and a wedding is a total waste of money. Invest in your future instead

4 Likes

Just make sure your prepared for if he says no. Usually if a man hasn’t proposed after a long period there is a reason.

6 Likes

You better ask him ‘where the relationship is going’ and tell him you want to be a wife someday.Look at his answer. If he isn’t keen on changing the situation, be prepared to walk away …

6 Likes

If you want to get married so bad then propose. He can’t just read your mind

I’m not traditional, but with that I am… no… he asks…

4 Likes

I wouldn’t do that. But I would sit with him & have that conversation about where you see your relationship moving to aka the next step. And let him know you want marriage in your near future.

3 Likes

It’s time. Go for it!

I did :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::white_heart::white_heart:

But make sure you’re both on the same page first, making sure you both want to get married one day!! Xx

3 Likes

He told me we should date others. We’ve been dating 5 years

1 Like

It’s ok if women do it I think heck this is the new world now go ahead

1 Like

OF course ask him.
Either,Yay or Nah.:champagne::cocktail:or :sob:.

If that’s in your heart than yes! Worst he can say is no then you know to move on!

If he hasn’t yet, and y’all haven’t talked about it…that’s your answer hun.

1 Like

I wouldn’t…what’s the rush? You should have a serious talk with him about it. Maybe he doesn’t want marriage? Maybe he says he does but doesn’t. Or maybe he’s waiting for the right moment. Best to talk about it.

Ask him how he feels about marriage and see if he feels pressure to have a perfect proposal see if he wants it simple or if he wants it super special find out how he feels about even a hypothetical friend (woman) asking her man to marry her and see what he thought about that and say you think it’s cute

I proposed to my fiancé and that was without a rig. I told him that he could have a chance to propose when we got a ring and he did… see if he’d be ok with both of you doing it. Especially if ya’ll do want to marry each other and have talked about it from time to time

My husband and I knew when we got together that it was for the long haul (we’d been friends for more than a year before we became official), but he has bad anxiety around big things. Around the 4 year mark, I made sure he knew I’d say yes. A few months later I saw a ring I’d love to wear and I bought it, but put it on his nightstand and told him that while I was ready, there wasn’t any pressure (because I already knew picking out a ring was going to throw him, and that he wanted to get married. If I’d had any doubt I wouldn’t have done this).
A few weeks after that we were supposed to go out to dinner but I got sick…so he ended up proposing to me in bed lol. He stumbled all over his words and it was adorable.

I really wanted him to ask, but I made the path as easy as possible for him because I knew him so well lol. Make sure you’re both on the same page before trying either option (buying a ring, or proposing to him).

1 Like

Yes do it I did 2 years ago got married last year