Should an 18-month-old go to speech therapy?

My 18 month old isnt talking much…she says a few words here and there but that is it…the doctor wants to start her on speech therapy but is that really neccesary? i feel like she is too young for something like this

36 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should an 18-month-old go to speech therapy? - Mamas Uncut

I would. My kid is 7 months he doesn’t say anymore yet but he thinks he can and man, does he not shut up. Lol

If her dr is recommending it. I would take her.

3 Likes

No, wait and make sure her hearing is ok.

1 Like

Check her hearing first and then start speedh therapy. My girls are/were in speech and it did wonders for them.

1 Like

I didn’t start speech therapy until my kids were 2 and honestly with my oldest therapy did nothing for her when she started preschool is when she really started talking my son only about 2 months into his speech therapy and he still doesn’t talk really just like my oldest. I’m learning they will talk when they want too and are ready but you are momma so go with your instinct on it :heart:

2 Likes

Yes, speech therapy helps

1 Like

Yes absolutely! For one it’s great social interaction for them and what can early intervention hurt? Take all chances you can to give your kid an advantage.
Remember by 24mo kids are supposed to be saying A LOT.
My son was 2 and was talking but it was all gibberish, I’d get a word or two out of a lot of nonsense. 10m of speech therapy, once a week and now? I kinda wish he talked less :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Wait until 3yrs old … Be sure her hearing is checked …

1 Like

If the doctor says the baby needs it, then it’s worth a shot. Worst that happens is nothing. And best that happens is that the baby becomes more verbal.

4 Likes

So I put my son in a program when he was about 2.5 and they age out when they turn 3. I so wish I had put him in earlier. He started speaking so much more with the help of his wonderful speech therapist. Of course now he’s too old for services but I feel he still needs help. So I just wish I hadn’t put off signing him in as long as I did

2 Likes

I’d do it cause it can only help.

1 Like

I think that the doctor knows better than you .
Nothing wrong with taking your kid to therapy (any kind ) he can refer her but the therapist is the one who will evaluate her and determine if she needs it or not

3 Likes

My daughter did, and it was very helpful.

My son is in speech therapy and it has helped a lot. He is almost 2.5 and he has been saying so many words now then when he wasn’t in speech therapy. I also found that talking a lot to him helps and making sure not to use so much baby talk. He has always said dada but never really said mama or mommy at all. And in the last two weeks he has said mama and mommy and will say it no problem at all. But the sooner you get him in the better, as it gives more time for the therapist to help. My son has been in it almost 1 year but I wish I had started sooner then 18 months.

1 Like

My patents always told me I didn’t taking until I was almost 3… and I haven’t shut up since :rofl::rofl: i wouldn’t worry too much just yet

1 Like

My son was the same way. He got evaluated and all the things he was doing without speaking she couldn’t believe someone his age could do it. She said that is why he wasn’t talking. Because he didn’t need our help because he was able to take care of himself. He is 3 now and sometimes can’t turn off.

Wouldn’t hurt! The earlier they start the better. They’ll struggle more if you wait til preschool or school age. My daughter received speech therapy from 3-8 through the school and outsourced. My son has been receiving it through the school system since pre-K 3, too. I need to get him into a place outside of school for more help since he’s starting Kindergarten this fall.

1 Like

Speech therapy may be beneficial now because the longer you put it off the more she can struggle, but make sure you get her hearing checked as well because it may be that she cannot hear.

4 Likes

My doctor wanted my son in the speech thing too cuz he wasn’t saying enough words. I declined and he’s now 7 and doing amazing in school and also just finished his first chapter book.

3 Likes

We have a birth to 3 program in Wisconsin. If your state has a similar protocol, I would look into it. They will diagnose any developmental delay.

1 Like

My baby started speech therapy at 18 months. He was saying maybe 4 words consistently. He’s 20 months now, and says over 30 words. I’ve also learned a lot about how to help in the way I communicate and play with him. It’s helped both of us. Try it out! It can’t hurt. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

That was one of the tip offs to my husband and I that my kiddo was on the spectrum. He’s done some speech therapy and he’s talking up a storm now! It doesn’t hurt to get your kiddo evaluated :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Start now. Early intervention is key! Started my son at 15 months and by preschool his teacher said she never would have guessed he had almost 2 years of speech!

3 Likes

Early intervention will be a life changer! Do not hesitate, it will only benefit your family!

2 Likes

Early intervention is key.

3 Likes

Definitely give them a call.

1 Like

Eight kids later, speech therapy is not needed at that age. Early intervention is key yes but 2.5-4 is the concern age because many kids don’t talk based off when another does and each child will talk at their own pace. As long as her hearing checked out fine then just continue talking to her consistently and she will pick it right up. Three of my kids literally didn’t even speak fifty words by 2 but by four was speaking full sentences and had no speech problems. One spoke late but we learned it was due to hearing loss in both ears and once hearing aids were given he picked it right up with no problems either.

Necessary***

& I don’t see the harm in it. It could help in advance once he’s in school, too. :person_shrugging:

Why wouldn’t you want to do everything to give your child the best start in life ? If there’s a problem, your child definitely won’t thank you when they grow up :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yes, they should if warranted.

Your doctor must feel that there’s a problem somewhere. Go with it for a little while and see what happens. It could help.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with a little help. Speech therapy is very helpful

3 Likes

Early intervention is always key.

1 Like

Yes it’s necessary. If a dr has advised it then generally I would say it’s the right thing to do :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

when I first started reading I thought… ah, first time mum but then saw the doctor suggested it…! woooot lol but I see it’s a thing.

Get a second opinion that’s way too young unless there’s medical reason lots of kids don’t talk properly till 3

Personally that sounds early to me. That’s only because of my personal expirences. My children & myself didn’t start speech therapy until we were 3+. There are things that will never be fixed. So maybe there’s something to starting therapy early.

Go with your doctor. S/he has education & knowledge of scientific research none of us here have. They also know your child. Even if there’s a doctor or speech pathologist on here they can’t give a correct opinion without testing your child. You have nothing to loose. Insurance should pay for it. If you go through early intervention it’s free. At least get her evaluated.

Plus if you get her in therapy now it’s likely to fix any problems before she starts school. If you wait until school she will be made fun of for how she talks & for being in therapy. Trust me even kindergartners know that kids are getting help & will torment her for it. Help your child.

We started speech therapy when my daughter was about 20 months. However at that point she didn’t say anything, not even a ‘mama’ or ‘dada’ it has helped tremendously. I would recommend going to an appointment with a speech therapist and getting an evaluation done. My daughter was very behind in communication but she was at average on comprehension. Get an evaluation, then decide if it’s necessary

2 Likes

I had my eldest on speech therapy at 12months it’s more than words it’s formation with the mouth and muscles and it does benefit them x

2 Likes

I’d do it. Speech therapy is amazing and can only help her. My daughter had so much fun and loved her speech pathologist, I wish I had gotten her in sooner. You will see great progress …

1 Like

My now 4 year old did not say a word till two months before his 3rd birthday. Day care teachers his pediatrician, speech therapist all concluded that in a house with three teenage sisters he just had nothing to say ( probably couldn’t get a word in) then bam full blown sentences. I would follow recommendations ultimately it’s your decision

1 Like

Yes I’d say that she needs it if they are getting on it this early and they also get this at school which myself I felt was very useful. It will come along mama my last child didn’t say boo now she outsmarts drs with her very strong vocabulary

Speech therapy did wonders for my son, I wish I had started it a lot sooner. His confidence once being able to communicate grew

Yes why would you ever not follow your doctors advice and stand in the way of your child’s development.

Early intervention is the best thing you can do to help your child. If your doctor is advising you of it, you should do it.

2 Likes

2 kids I watch started speech therapy at that age and it has done wonders.

18 months is still pretty young, I would wait till at least 2 and a half.
My son didn’t form sentences till he was over 4yo, only spoke about 50-70 words and they were difficult to make out but when he started school his speech came on great!

Personal choice but please try not to worry, she’ll talk when she’s ready. Just keep reading and chatting to her, even you’re just babbling away while you go about your daily chores etc.

2 Likes

Earlier the better! My son started at 18 months, it was still a few years before he used full sentences. (5 years old) I cant imagine if we would’ve declined therapy. If the doc recommends, I’d do it.

1 Like

My 2.5 yr old was slow at talking too. She’s getting so much better just had a slow start

1 Like

If you think that way why ask she’s your kid :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I have a friend, who’s son really didn’t speak much, but by 3 yrs old, WOW, I would only see a speech therapist if she didn’t speak well, Not speaking at all at this age is not a big deal

Doesn’t hurt to get evaluated.
But every child develops their own pace. If she had words that’s great. If she didn’t have any at all then I would be worried.

Id say give her some time. My daughter knows lots of words but often times choose not to use them. We call it “cuting (cute-ing) her way out of/into stuff”. At first I was worried but then sometimes she’ll speak in full sentences and I realized she’s going to be just fine :rofl:

1 Like

I put my daughter in speech shortly after she turned 2. I may do the same with my son after his 2nd birthday. I think its based on a parents preference.

I Get Paid 0ver $ 107 per hour w0rking from h0me. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 13985 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The p0ssibility with this is limitles

SEE M0RE HERE…>> https://JobsCareer72.pages.dev

1 Like

I don’t ever get these questions speech therapy isn’t going to hurt your daughter it’s going to help her so why not do it? I have one diagnosed autistic child and a second one about to get diagnosed the second one and the first one were in speech therapy from 15 months all the way up until they were like five. My second is only 20 months. I’m sorry with all these comments saying that 18 months is a little too young to be worried about speech however at 18 months your child should be forming full sentences and talking very well. If they are not then they are speech delayed and sometimes that’s not an issue and they overcome it but sometimes they don’t. Early intervention is the key source to prevent long term speech delays or other developmental delays. Wouldn’t you feel horrible as a parent if you just decided to wait until like three or four to get help and then at three or four you realize that your child is autistic and after a certain point in that diagnosis without early intervention the delays become permanent? The amount of comments I see on here saying well my child was the age and then they were fine yeah your child was developmentally delayed and you didn’t get them any help. :woman_facepalming:t2::scream:

1 Like

My hospital roommate when our girl’s were born. Was kind of upset when her daughter wasn’t saying as many words as mine. Realizing her frustration. I said she’s had a few ear infections. Maybe shes not hearing some of whatever being said. Sure enough they put tubes in her ears and poof what a difference. So that may be something to look into. Good luck Momma.

1 Like

I just want to say, it’s perfectly normal for youngins to need some speech intervention. Sometimes as parents, especially first time parents, we don’t realize how much we need to teach or how important constantly talking to them is that young. You have the option of getting outside help, or you can take it on yourself and start reading books and having one on one teaching time. Just to get those words flowing. It’s never a bad thing to continue their education. But also know that is is completely normal and it’ll all be okay.

2 Likes

Yes. 1.if your doctor suggested follow advice 2. If you have to ask you already know the answer. Best of luck

1 Like

Early intervention is amazing. Even if she only needs it for a few months. Better safe than sorry

2 Likes

They wanted to put my daughter in early intervention for speech therapy when she was around the same age because she “wasn’t talking much” but the problem was she talked ALL THE TIME just not to them because she didn’t know them :rofl: needless to say though, extra learning may not be necessary but definitely won’t hurt them

As a mom whose had two kids in speech therapy…(numbering to keep thoughts in order) here’s a few things to think about:

1. In the past the age marker for ST was 2, but by 18 months a child should have around 20 words. Between ages 2 and 3, however they should have at least 1000 and be using 2 work sentences. That is a HUGE difference.
  2. If your child does not sporadically start speaking, their communication skills fall farther and farther behind and it becomes more difficult for them to catch up to their peers
  3. Lack of ability to communicate can lead to unnecessary behavior issues. My youngest had a speech delay from ear infections. He was referred for an autism eval. His behaviors were due to his inability to communicate with words.
  4. It does not hurt a child to receive speech therapy when they don’t or end up not needing it. It does hurt them to not receive it when they do because you are waiting to see if they just start talking
  5. IDK what your exact reservations are, but having been there twice I have a guess. Just because your child is being referred to speech doesn’t mean that it’s anything you as a parent has done or not done. It’s not a judgment on you.

It depends on what your child says now. My son didn’t really talk until he was 2. Now at almost 3 he’ll say a 10 word sentence and his imagination is amazing. If your child can identify a color, letter, or number, they are comprehending their surroundings.

1 Like

My kid at 18 months old barely ever stopped talking. Or making noises that imitated talking.
If your kid is recommended to go it wouldn’t hurt to try it.

My doctor said the same … we start next month… also he has a lot of wax in his ears so that could be some of the issue🤷🏽‍♀️

Speech therapy won’t hurt and the sooner the better. Two out of four of my kids needed it. Speech therapy shouldn’t be regarded as a bad thing.

2 Likes

the earlier the better

1 Like

Start it. My daughter was evaluated at that age and started right before her 2nd birthday. Best thing I could of done. She is now 9 and just got out of speech therapy in school. It helps them once they get on school.

I think you should give her more time

3 Likes

My son started early intervention at 2. There is nothing wrong with it. He barely spoke. Now he doesn’t stop talking.:laughing: He is 5!

I’m surprised you’re even able to get her into speech therapy that young. I had to fight tooth and nail to get my oldest in until he was 3 years old. They wouldn’t even entertain diagnosing him with anything until then. I would do it.

2 Likes

Take it!! The sooner they work with someone they’ll start… My kids were all late talkers

Speech is more than learning to talk. It’s making sure the muscles are developing correctly, no issues with jaw or tongue etc. my preemie twins had speech in the hospital to help them learn how to breastfeed.

Listen to the doctor. She went to med school. You didn’t.

My second child really didn’t talk until he was almost 3…his older brother talked like an adult at 18 months non stop…they are grown men now…nothing has changed! Younger one is still fairly quiet…just their personalities!

Yes! As someone who went through 12 years of speech therapy, don’t wait!

1 Like

The earlier the intervention the better the outcome . Speech therapy is much more than the spoken word. After an evaluation they can determine the therapy that will work best for her. Ideally, you want to have your child at age level by kindergarten.

2 Likes

Speech, generally, isn’t considered delayed until age 2. When I worked in the toddler room at a preschool, we didn’t even bat an eye at an 18 month old who had few words and only babbled. You can start now, if you choose, but I’d give it more time.

My 18 month old has some words, but mostly it’s all babble still. I’m not worried.

1 Like

I would wait honestly that is still so young …

Do it! As our Dr. said, speech is fun! It won’t hurt.

Speech is actually a lot more then talking . My 7 year old son was sent to speech because of his behavior, my 3 year old daughter sent because she refuses to eat any foods. And my oldest daughter sent to speech for emotional issues. So don’t worry if your kiddo is sent there’s a reason and it doesn’t mean it’s to be too concerned :wink: it’s not a bad thing to be in speech

IMO no. My daughter was the same. She didn’t start really picking up and speaking a lot more until after two years old. And now she’s three and is perfectly fine with her speech.

Start now unless you want BOTH of you to struggle when she starts school. Been there done that and should’ve kept my own in it longer. But I dumbly took her out once she was like 3.
They’re not gonna recommend that unless they see it’s needed.

Yes my grandson went to first steps at eighteen months his now in college always had a grade point average of 4.1

Definitely not , children progress differently and not talking much at 18 months isn’t a big concern , some people just arnt huge talkers

3 Likes

It’s not going to hurt her to have speech therapy. If something is wrong you’ll regret not starting early intervention. If nothing is wrong then what did hurt?

1 Like

They recommended we go to also about the same age. We skipped it. She’s 4 now and talks just fine.

No one knows your child you’re you do. If you think it would help her or she’s further behind than you are comfortable with, take her in. If you feel she’s just working a little slower than the average (which was the case with mine, she was doing some things early and some things later, talking clearly came later for both of my kids,) then give her some time and maybe reconsider in a few months.

Also, they recommended it but you don’t have to jump on it right now unless you feel it’s necessary. You can wait.

Regardless, whatever decision you make, will be the right decision.

1 Like

My kids pediatrician said if not talking by 2 then start speech therapy

Do what you feel is right :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It could have to do with more than just her speech development.
She could be showing signs of poor swallow, poor muscle development, or honestly any number of things.

Doesn’t hurt to try. My pediatrician wasted 5 hours of my day by referring my (then) 12 month old to eye doctor for astigmatism. 2 hour drive, total of 3 hour wait to get her eyes dilated. Her eye exam came back completely normal. As healthy as can be.
Just try it, that way IN CASE there is something wrong you won’t regret doing it.

My almost 3 year old still doesn’t talk

My daughter was the same at 18 months and I was worried but her pediatrician thought she was fine since she was saying a few words here and there and wasn’t having problems with communication in other areas. She’s 20 months now and is talking a lot and says more words each day. So it can go either way I think even though as mothers were not specialist but you also know your baby. Like there overall health and how they communicate each day. And that can help you decide but like others say it doesn’t hurt to start. I know many are against tv for this age but we watch a show that teaches first words with song and sign language and she’s picked up some of both. And even tries to sing along though it’s not always full words.

sometimes it’s just because they aren’t ready to talk but their are still soaking in everything. my little man started speech therapy at around 18 ish months and the goal was to teach him some sign language to help with basic communication. he wouldn’t point when he wanted something which he should’ve been by that point… ect. they helped teach him to sign please, thank you, mom, dad, more, and all done. once he got all that down and still wasn’t talking we moved on to outside, and other words.

don’t be too worried that you’re little one isn’t talking yet. if you’re uncomfortable doing speech therapy but still want to help with communications with you’re little one I recommend starting with basic sign language. if you don’t know asl there are some great youtube videos that could help you. it takes a lot of work and you have to be consistent with it and verbally say the word as you sign.

BTW, I’m not a dr or a therapist myself. just giving my advice.

If it’s recommended by the doctor don’t you think you should listen

I didn’t start talking until I was 2 because I was deaf and hard of hearing… Once my parents figured that out and got me hearing aids, I never stopped talking lol

Of course it Usually makes a huge difference. 1 of mine need it, we could tell a difference in the first month

Yes if her Dr wants her to go then take her! Dr sees a problem.