Should bills be split 50/50 if you make more than your spouse?

Depends. Every situation is different. When we met I paid my own debt and he paid for everything else. Wasn’t a problem.

We don’t have a certain amount that we each pay. We’re a team yes, but when the bills come, we just pay whatever is do…whomever pays it.

You said spouse right? Why are you paying bills individually? Your money should be joint all money brought in is both of your all money that goes out is both of yours.

1 Like

All of our money goes into that same bank. We pay the bills and use whatever is left however.

This can not be answered by facebook this is a topic of discussion for that person and partner everyone is different every relationship is different

Should have equal amount of spending money after bills - whoever makes more pays more in bills. It’s called partnership!

Both our checks go in the same account and bills get paid first then we decide what we do with the rest together

Money goes in a pot together and we approve the extras that the other purchases

My fiancé makes double what I do. He pays the rent, his cell phone and his vehicle expenses. I pay the rest of the utilities and my vehicle expenses

When my husband makes more, he pays all the bills. When I make more, I pay all the bills. :woman_shrugging:t2: its a marriage. You do what you have to in order to make it work.

1 Like

My husband just gives me his check and I pay bills and leave him whatever he needs for the week.

He trusts me to run our budget. I’m good at it, he’s not :rofl:

All of the money we both make going into the same joint account and all bills and expenses come out of that. We don’t care who makes what money. The money is both of ours and that’s how we treat it. All purchases are agreed upon by both of us. It’s been this way for 15 years since we got together.

All our money goes into one acc all bills are paid and what’s left is ours we both have a keycard to that acc and spend what we want we don’t ask each other for money but we do let each other know what we’ve spent

My husband and I have a joint account and I put half if my check in there and he puts half of his. I pay for our health insurance which is about $400 a month for family coverage. He makes about 30k a year more than I do so he ends up paying more of the Bill’s but us just doing half of our check has worked for a while. He may occasionally have to put extra in there. We also have a joint savings account and a joint vacation account. I do like still having a separate account for the stupid shit I like to spend money on :woman_shrugging:t2: I think it’s easy to just say split it 50/50 but there may be other things to take into account as well. Just do what works for yall

Bills should be split 50/50 for things that each of you use like rent. Individual things should be separate

I think every relationship is different and it’s whatever you all agree on. However if one person make 75k a year and the other 20k then it’s a little skewed to split 50/50.

1 Like

My ex & i split all bills down the middle except the mortgage payment which I paid all of as I earned ×3 the amount he did. I then got the house in the divorce.

my fiancée and I split every bill in half. He gets paid $600/week and I get paid biweekly. It’s just so neither of us can say “I pay more bills than you” or whatever. Then how we spend what we have left is up to us. I normally just save it or spend it on stuff we need in the house. We also pay for our own gas since he drives further than I do and more often than I do.

I grew up in an old fashioned family. When my dad came home on payday he’d hand my mom his whole check. Of course she was raising 7 of us and was a stay at home mom until they split.

We split the home bills. Rent and all that. I make more but I pay for everything for my son and I Buy the groceries. I also buy the small things around the house.

I must have a mythical marriage seeing most of these comments. My hubs pays for Everything! And anything! I have a side job and if I even try to put some money in our account I get it put back in my wallet the next day. #lovemylife

We dont split anything. All our money goes into a shared account and bills get paid. He is the primary worker and i work for myself. He typically makes more than i do but there is no his money my money. Its our money. Everything gets paid and we get what we want after discussing it or if we wanted to make any large purchases we just communicate with each other. I guess it depends on trust and how long you been together. My husband and myself have been together 15 years. Married for 7.

I think the word partner sums it up. Been married for 20 years. It’s all one big pot of money. We work together. What’s mine is his and vice versa

That’s an odd question. We have a joint account, we share everything as a team.

1 Like

I pay what I can and he pays what he can. If he has it covered(most of the time he does) my money is our spending money which mostly I get to spend lol
We have a good dynamic when it comes to money or as good as we Can as a lower middle class family with all our kids. Bills don’t have to be 50/50. They just have to be paid.

1 Like

Things considering both of us are pais from a shared Account on which we both pai 3100€/monthly, but everyone of us has an own account too, to pay things for themselves

All the money is combined and OURS, regardless of who makes more or whatnot. The bills are paid, period. We’re married but even when we weren’t it was like this after about 4yrs (and we had 2 kids at that time)

I don’t understand why this is even an issue. If you’re married… or even living together (long-term relationship) as husband & wife…then money should be shared/bills paid…nit 50/50 or whatever. We had 3 accounts… 1 for savings/emergency funds
1 for bills/automatic payments
1 for spending
We knew more or less what our monthly bills were So paychecks were direct deposited into the spending account and then all money was transferred into the account for payments

He brings in more than me so he takes care of the bigger bills and I swing as many of the smaller bills as I can and it works perfectly for us

In past relationships before I got married yes we 50/50 bills yes he made way more than I did. But he was okay with living within my range of what I told him I could afford.

I used to work and never had to pay for anything….

My husband pays mortgage and utilities. I pay cable/internet and all household needs. So it breaks down to approximately 50/50.

I use both our bank accounts to pay a bill. Half on one half on the other. Otherwise we’d be left with nothing til next payday. Ration it out

Whatever you and your spouse think is fair should go! We just have separate accounts and split costs and expenses then no conflict

Well I had an ass who likes to remind me that “this is his house” when he gets mad. So I remind him that’s fine, his part can go to his house. House payment. Utilities. And “his truck “ cool, you pay that payment and insurance on it.

What’s left we split. I pay phones, my portion of insurance, food. Tv. Internet.

He likes to get frustrated And complain around his family that I don’t pay the house payment. So I politely remind him that every time he gets mad it’s “his house and I can leave whenever I want”. Usually that pisses off his mother and siblings and they rip him a new one.

So I don’t hear much argument out of him. I use my pay to pay off the bills when I’m done with the rest the things I cover. He gets mad I pay off my credit cards, but not his. Living with a narcissist means balancing things. It works for us

I think it should be to where the one who’s making less still has enough to comfortably spend for other things. Honestly it depends on the couple. People who are married are joined as “one” so that’s a whole other topic.

A partnership means if youre short, i got you because i know when im short you got me. No matter who makes more. Equal effort💯

I don’t understand the whole splitting bills thing…even when I did work, our money just went into the bank and I paid bills :woman_shrugging:t2:

We did 50/50 until we got married. Now it’s joint account and it all goes to the same place

OK. My husband and I were 35 when we met. I had a son. We are still married 12 years later and have always had separate accounts. One of us makes considerably more money. We discuss the bills and have agreed who pays what. Spending money comes from whomever has it at the time we need it. Nothing is “split” because having the one that makes more pay the same just isn’t logical. We save together, we are joint on each other’s accounts…no secrets. Communication.

We pay all the bills then split what money is left.

We would just pay what needs to be paid. Have a joint bank account and discuss big purchases. Always be talking about bills coming out and if someone used the card that day🤷‍♀️ everything is 50/50, we both work and both of our pay gets put into the same account

I’m married and our money is our money no matter who makes it. We pay our bills out of our money and we save and invest and spend as needed. There is no splitting anything. 21 years later its still working just fine.

Me and my husband just pay what needs to be paid. No matter what the amount is

We have all the money direct deposit in one account (bill account) we total up the bills for that week and leave that amount in the bill account and then transfer the rest to our spending account, which we also share. We each have our own cards for both accounts. Anything over $50 we talk about. Other than that, the spending account is fair game.

Back when both husband and I worked we split bills same as our income … 2/3 & 1/3

My husband pays everything for me and the kids. I usually do car insurance and food

Who are you splitting them with?

All the money is going in the same pot…

Or are you assuming husbands and wives are keeping their income from each other?

1 Like

I would still pay 50/50 so they can’t come back and say I didn’t pay my share during an argument or divorce.

You guys are a family, if you are planning on spending the rest of your life with someone you make sure your needs are met as a family.

Bills should be split by equity not equality. I make about $4 less an hour than my husband. Therefore he pays one more bill a month than I do. Relationships aren’t about being 50/50. It’s not always equal. Fair does not always mean equal.

Married bills should just get paid I do t feel it should have to be 50/50 but that also means not one can blow all there money on dumb stuff and not pay any bills
I mean maybe one pays the tent while the other pays the car and smud
Plus most married couples share the income anyways
Money usually go’s into one account

Boyfriend /girlfriend living together yes 50/50

Put it all in same account and pay Bill’s together as a couple.

My husband pays 100% of our bills. I pay my car insurance. He pays everything else. Mortgage. Utilities. Food. Phones. Internet.

If your married your money should be together and u pay your bills together.

2 Likes

When I was still working my husband took care of all bills and I took care of groceries and outings like movies, even though most of the time he would still want to pay. He made more than double what I did. Now I’m a stay at home mom and we have a joint account. I go to school to receive VA benifits. He still pays all the bills and I contribute my VA money to our joint account to off set things like zoo trips and kids clothing, etc.

In our house it’s our money not mine or his it’s all in same account and everything is equal

Our money is our money and our bills are our bills. What’s mine is his and what’s his is mine. We are not individuals in our marriage. We are one.

We got married and were pronounced one. It all goes into and comes out of the same pot.

50/50 or some split of bills evenly that you both agree to. -OR- put money together (joint account) then there is no yours/mine

I mean, I guess everyone’s relationships are different but both our money goes to the same account and we pay bills first out of the account and all the leftover money is our money :woozy_face:

So everything is paid separately now. You pay something he pays something. I am divorced now. Things change.

Hell no. One household one purse. All the money goes into the same place and bill are paid from that. If we are together we share everything. End of story.

It should be whatever both party’s feel comfortable with

He makes more than I do, so I give him half of what I make each week. I run my own daycare, so how much I make varies from time to time. But even if I only made 600 that week, I only have to give him 300. Works for us.

I think that varies to each relationship. Sometimes the husband won’t mind paying more because he knows the wife has more responsibilities at home, or vice versa. I think each couple has to balance things at home so that they’re both comfortable and don’t feel that one is doing more than the other.

That depends on how y’all manage money.

If you share money from both jobs in a joint account and manage spending together, yes.

If he keeps his and she keeps hers and split bills and groceries etc. I don’t even know what to say on that. Yes cause it’s a partnership. Spouse equals partnership. But splitting bills doesn’t so then I say no. Should be 50/50. But then again I still can’t understand spouses that split bills so :woman_shrugging:t3: I don’t know what’s fair there.

Why did I even comment? :joy: still sending

My boyfriend pays the rent and I pay electric and buy groceries and we split the phone bills

You mean you don’t all put all the money into one account and pay all the bills from that account???

My bf pays almost all the bills except I pay car insurance. I do make more then him.

Different things work for different households. My hubby makes more so he pays more, it will switch when I am finished with school and will be making more than him.

Key word here is “partners”. You do whatever works best for you as partners…

50/50. At one time I made more than my fiance and we still split 50/50 and now I make less than him and we still split 50/50

Yup. Just bcuz one makes more don’t mean they are responsible for more bills, making more don’t mean they use more or less so why would what they spend on bills change??

My hubs always worked, so he would pay for Everything since day one. And i would take care of our son and our home. Now i work and he still gets a check, so we both pay for things. But personally i Don’t MIND paying more for things, because its always been him. Now its my turn.

Our money goes into one bank account and bills are just paid from that account. I didn’t realize bill splitting was a thing.

2 Likes

My husband an I share an account an I pay the bills with whatever we got in the bank or to put in the bank. We have our moments but usually we do okay.

50/50? Splitting money is weird if you’re in a committed, long term relationship or marriage. There should be no “mine” and “yours”…

You’re a team. Why is it your money and his money? This “mine mine mine” mentality is what causes resentment in a lot of marriages.

We have always had a joint account. All our money goes there. So there is no his or mine.

Why is this even an issue?
When you decide to become a couple or play house it becomes ours.
If you want to split bills then get a damn roommate.
Couples don’t play this crap of my money is mine, your money is yrs.
Couples income becomes joing so the bills are paid out of one account.
If you separate accounts then get one joint acvount just for bills.
But this is really a stupid issue as you should have discussed this before sharing a bed.

When I was married we never had this conversation lol … I earned next to nothing but thankfully he never expected me to pay for anything. I never expected him to contribute to any household/cooking chores except take out the trash. But this was almost 20 yrs ago :grimacing:

Your married which means your joined… The money isnt his or hers its ours… Pay the bills jointly…

Whatever is chosen by both parties. When my kids were little I stayed home. Now, with my current partner, we split, and I put money away for our future. :heart:

Look at it this way, would you be asking the same question if you didn’t make as much is your spouse?

We never thought of our incomes as mine and his, it was all ours together.

2 Likes

Who cares who pays for what… if you are married the bills are from both of yall. Pay the bills n be done with it.

1 Like

We try to 50/50 but we’ve got each others back :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I make less and he and I do 50/50. It’s only fair. We use the dave ramsay budget

Should be discuss before marriage…and each situation is different

If yiu are married, it should all be together. You are one. And it’s 100/100

My husband’s pays all the bills and I buy whatever I want I mean if ya make more then I feel u should pay more

Its all both of your money, so what does it matter?

50/50? My husband pays all the bills.

My home we put ours together and don’t count separate… No you pay this I pay that. It’s we pay our bills❤️

My husband and I share a bank account so in our case we’re both paying all the bills.

Money is put into a joint account that bills are paid out of.

Hold up :raised_hand:
Where y’all find these men who work & pay bills?!

we have joint account that all the bills hit

We just get our checks pooled to one account.
The bills come out of said account. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Done. Easy peasy.
I make more then my hubby.