Should dads pay child support if they have 50/50 custody?

In Michigan if it’s 5050 there is still support if incomes are drastically different which enables the child to have similar quality of life between homes.

3 Likes

Salary would or should be considered. I made about 75 % less than my ex & still needed a house for four children which 3 where boys. Food bill’s totally different than 3 girls & 1 boy. Children all where involved in sports & again there were fees, travel expenses & food cost. My ex was never late with payments but feel once in a while a gift card for food would have been nice or a couple of bags of meat would have been appreciated. My in laws where great and for that I will always be thankful.

1 Like

If it’s split 50/50 that’s a giant nope

Depends on the situation, if the other parent pays the full insurance or educational and extra curricular a etc then that should be 50/50 so child support would be needed. Whether the other parent is stable or not isn’t really relevant, both parents own responsibility is to be stable enough to provide for their child whether the other parent can or can’t

4 Likes

He. Didn’t have. An. Actual. Job. !!! He. Had. Veterans. Pension &. Health insurance. He. Mooched. Off. Of me. &. When. He. Died. I. Got. Retroactive. Social security. For my. Child
I. Reguarded. That. As. Belated. Child. Support

1 Like

Mom’s spouse and his earnings have nothing to do with child support.

Most states take overnights and both parents income in factor for child support

5 Likes

But is it really ever 50/50 ?! lol .

4 Likes

I do 50/50 but dad pays minimal child support but only bc i set up all daycare, doctor appointments, school registration all that. And if the kids need clothes or toiletries or anything at dads i do my best to provide it. It was just easier this way instead of fighting every time i go to pay for dance or something and want him to split it with me. He just pays a small amount in child support and i handle most of the kids stuff.

He should go back to court bc if they have 50/50 he shouldn’t have to pay

I’m gunna go against everyone in here. I say it depends who is paying for ALL care as in shoes clothes schooling dr office visits?? If it’s all done by one parent then yes I’m sorry u should still have to pay because the child just being with you doesn’t pay for all their clothes schooling and dr visits all the actual reasons supports for.

10 Likes

Nope. Because then they would only have half the custody but paying for full time custody. 50/50 should just be that….equal time, equal money. So if one expects child support for their time, then the other parent can say the same.

1 Like

Never understood that. If it’s 50/50 the dad should not be having to pay extra $ to the mom. If it were the other way around and it was 50/50 and the mom still had to pay I’m sure she’d flip.

This is the number one example of how the justice system in family Court is one-sided and plays favoritism towards the mothers :cry::face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle: No it is Not fair and he should take her back to court maybe reached out to a #FathersMatterToo advocate. Because that’s some one-sided bs!!

4 Likes

Give it back to him.

First, Moms partners income and assets don’t count towards her income. Moms bf’s and dads gf’s money and property has zero impact on the bio parents finances when it comes to child support. Second, 50/50 joint custody means they have the kids(s) equally. So if moms income is less with 50/50 custody then dad pays child support, if dads income is less with 50:50 custody then mom pays child support.

8 Likes

Should be based on income. Period. If they (parents) were still together, what would there total income be? ……exactly.

In this situation likely not but it depends on the financial agreement. Usually one parent ends up responsible for most of it and the absent parent very little. If both parents are doing their share then no because the dad in this case is then providing for them but then also paying extra

Get a lawyer and a court date if you want things changed otherwise it stays as is

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if her new partner is doing well. It’s the biological parents responsibility to take care of the child.

4 Likes

It goes off the parties incomes and expenses for the households. They have a calculator. They don’t just make up numbers for either parent to pay child support in my experience. It’s based off of everything total.

2 Likes

Each states or countries laws are different. I would consult with an attorney and not here on FB

1 Like

The courts usually factor in both the mother’s income and the father’s income from what I know. If one makes more than the other they pay generally, I just dont know specific calculations. And one parent having a financially supportive partner means nothing because it’s not their child or business, the courts will see it that way. This isnt really a matter of opinion, just what the courts do.

1 Like

I personally believe if it is truly 50/50 joint custody then no one should pay child support, and anything that happens at moms house she pays for anything at dads house he pays for, and any extracurricular activities are split down the middle. For ppl who can coparent and put the kids first it shouldn’t be super hard.

4 Likes

My ex husband and I have 50/50 and he still had to pay, judge said you’re to pay regardless. But he and I decided quite a few years ago that he couldn’t afford it and both went to Court together, dropped support to $0. Our daughter is 13 now, we both provide for her, been divorced since she was 1. Depends on the judge and maybe where you live idk.

1 Like

That hardly seems fair. If it was my husband I wouldn’t expect him to pay

It goes by income. My custody is 50/50 Monday 5pm-friday 5pm is my time and vis versa is dad’s time. He’s ordered to pay $38 a week :upside_down_face: but I do supply all school items since that’s my time.

3 Likes

I personally feel like if there’s 50/50 it’s wrong to ask for that.

3 Likes

This is how it was when I was growing up and I don’t agree either.

In my opinion no. 50/50 means exactly that. Each parent should support when they have the child and that’s it.

2 Likes

If it’s true 50/50 then absolutely not.

1 Like

Just because the Mom has a new house and a new man with a great job does not mean that the new man is responsible for the child. Unless Dad is paying out the same amount of money as the mom for the child then, no he shouldn’t pay. But if he wants things changed he should get a lawyer and petition for the change.

2 Likes

Joes Offroad the comments 🤦

1 Like

My fiance technically has 50/50 of his kids. (He’s deployed so it’s kinda a weird situation) but when he’s not gone they pay separately for whatever the kids need. But if she needs help with something he usually pays half of it just because he’s nice. If they have 50/50 then it should be exactly that. Everything is 50/50.

Usually in that situation cs is voided but ut has to be done through the courts

No. Not if it’s 50/50. If you’re that hard up for extra money, maybe dad should have custody.

1 Like

I don’t think 50/50 parents should have to pay but hey what do I know!

I wouldn’t expect child support …

I totally agree with you, it is unfair. If you have 50/50 even 50/40, it’s unfair. It shouldn’t be allowed.

Unless he asked you for money to take care of child while in his care.

1 Like

If dad is paying that means he makes more so what is he doing with his money that he is living with his parents!? Something is off here

7 Likes

If court said so yes if don’t agree take it back to court. What she has w her new partner has nothing to do w the dad. Clearly it means the dad needs to get it together cause he slacking

5 Likes

Her new partner and his income has nothing to do with the child or child support

12 Likes

Not if it’s 50/50 and both parents are providing for the child’s needs equally.

2 Likes

In Michigan if the child is on Medicaid/state assistance the other parent has to pay.

1 Like

If 50/50 should only be paying 50 of bills like Orthodontics etc

2 Likes

If their situations have changed then he should go back to court and ask her for support!

1 Like

It’s between them, they know the reasons i.e maybe she covers all school fees etc… Don’t get caught up in their business… Spesh if you’re a new partner to the dad, jealous new girlfriends hung up on money going to the mother of his child are the worst.

2 Likes

So from what I read and searched up for my friends case if the other parent makes more then the other they can pay child support. Specially if it’s a sufficient amount. To make sure the kid(s) have the same quality of life at both households.

As a mom who has 50/50 and is supposed to get child support (but does not because of reasons) in my situation I pay for most things. Clothes, school supplies, coats, backpacks, shoes, haircuts, sports and required equipment… I’m sure there are other things. Things are not split. I am also the one who takes care of medical/dental/vision. So I do think it’s fair in some cases. I think it depends on the families situation as to whether it is fair or not.

No he should not have to .

1 Like

Sounds like Dad does have a partner to, you. Also sounds like Dad doesn’t have as much bills as Mom since he lives with his mother. The courts will decide that matter.

6 Likes

It my state it’s up to who pays for medical insurance, mom probably has the kid on her insurance plan so dad has to pay

1 Like

If it’s 50/50 I don’t understand why anyone would pay support to the other … regardless of who makes more …ya support the child when ya have them :roll_eyes: and split doctor’s n other fees that come with kiddos … sad that courts make people pay for their kids in these situations

2 Likes

When I had 50/50 placement with my ex for my youngest son, there was no child support, but we split clothing & school related costs too. This is in Wisconsin…

Usually with 50/50 neither pays/receives support. But- Just cause she has a new partner that has a decent job doesn’t take away the fathers responsibility to financially care for his kid. If he’s having issues paying what’s been orders he can file with the courts to have it reviewed and lowered.

6 Likes

He shouldn’t have to pay anything if it’s 50/50 everything. That’s ridiculous.

3 Likes

The rules are vary depending on location.

1 Like

Child support is supposed to ensure that the child has the same standard of living at both homes

5 Likes

Absolutly not. Why should the father support both households? That’s just sad.

1 Like

States have different ways of calculating things but they usually plug the incomes and expenses and custody agreement into an algorithm which spits out suggested support. We have 50/50 but I pay for the kids clothes and extra curricular stuff and he makes more than I do so he pays me a small amount even though we are 50/50

3 Likes

I believe that when there’s 50/50 custody, no one should have to pay child support. It’s completely ignorant. Dads completely get fucked over…well good dads get completely screwed over :100: they are forced to pay support no matter what and struggle to be able to support theirselves and the child(ren) they have because courts are completely unfair and stupid. All the courts care about is their cut of it. Plain and simple.

If you’re helping she’s selfish for doing that

1 Like

I believe so maybe that’ll teach him a lesson about not using protection and just making babies with any random woman yeah I know the same can go for a woman but it’s not the man nine times out of 10 who was stuck raising a baby on his own regardless of 50/50 custody I don’t understand what’s wrong with people they’re so quick to have babies with just anybody even before they’re in a serious relationship I’ve been with my husband for 26 years and I wouldn’t have it any other way and I know we had our son our first son before we were married and it’s rare that people actually stay together nowadays

1 Like

If everything is 50/50 then no he shouldn’t have to pay the mum anything and when I say everything 50/50 I mean all clothes, school supplies/trips etc. If mum’s expect dads to do everything 50/50 and still pay her child support in my book that just makes her using him for money which ain’t fair at all

2 Likes

I believe if you have 50/50 you support them when each one has them.

2 Likes

Mediator explained it to me that it was about “balancing the incomes between homes” so that the child has the same quality of life in both places.
This varies from place to place.

3 Likes

When I got divorced and my ex husband and I both got joint custody the judge said I paid a certain% of child support and so did my ex husband but the % was based on income.

The partner has nothing to dobwith the child support in the big picture. Only the actual people financially legally responsible are the bio parents until they lose custody. So if bio dad makes more money than bio mom by a certain percentage the bio mom should receive support. Same if bio mom makes more. If anything changes and it’s not 50/50 anymore it should be modified. Its all based on a state percentage on balancing households. They do NOT take in the spouses income!

6 Likes

No they should not have to pay child support if they share 50/50 custody. That doesn’t even make sense.

2 Likes

My ex husband and I have 50/50. But because he made a little a more at the time(I’m a SAHM now) he has to pay $21.75 a month🙄 I hate it. Like he should not have to pay.

2 Likes

No the Dad should not pay child support if it’s 50/50

1 Like

It wasn’t 50/50 at first for my daughters father and I and he gave a little bit each week for support… however once we determined a good 50/50 schedule all payments stopped. The dad shouldn’t have to pay anything if its 50/50, that’s not fair.

2 Likes

Each parent when it’s their turn to have children then they should support and supply everything they need, nobody should pay support to the other. Each parent has medical coverage on said children.

1 Like

No. If its 50/50 then no child support should be paid . Id like to think mum wouldn’t expect help with clothes and stuff since she is in good circumstances and dad is not but its an unfair world and some folk are extremely selfish.

1 Like

A judge could decide in order to make income more equal in both homes one or the other will pay child support even with joint custody.

2 Likes

If it’s 50/50 then said Mother should pay as well! I don’t think anyone should pay anyone in this situation!

1 Like

I say depending on the income of each parent. The mum might not make enough money & needs help. That is where the extra child support come in. & it is his child also & should not want his child to suffer just cause she doesn’t make enough money. He’s already off the hook by not having to support them both. If their money is about equal no one should pay. or she makes more than him, she should have to pay the support.

2 Likes

He pays alimony not child support

1 Like

I believe if it’s 50/50 neither should get child support, unless one makes a significant amount more than the other… then it should just be enough to kinda even out the income for each.

1 Like

Because they go by income so if her income is less then his he has to pay. That’s how the courts do it. It’s doesn’t go by what her bf males because it’s not his child. That goes both way also so of she made more then him he would get support.

1 Like

Why is dad ONLY working casually? He lives with his parents so he has childcare. He needs a regular full time job. It isn’t mom’s partners responsibility to take care of your kid. And fyi NO I get NO CS. My ex is behind over $15000. My BF and I take care of my son.

6 Likes

In my state, I have my 2 kids 6 days a week, have them in my house and have them both under my insurance, he also lives with one of his parents so his output ain’t nearly close to mine and because of this if I went for child support from their dad he would have to pay me $125+ a week which is a fourth of his paycheck give or take, so as long as he takes the kids the 24 hours a week he is supposed too, takes them to their doctors appointments, pays a majority for birthdays and holidays, helps with oldest school supplies, and supplies his own stuff for both kids so im not giving him anything from my home, then were straight. I cover pretty much everything in their day to day lives, so as long as he doesn’t recind his responsibilities he won’t be paying me anything. This isn’t a lot to ask at all from him, and if this is what youre doing as the dad, then take her back to court with her greedy ass and fix it, plain and simple…

I don’t think they should but I think they go off both income in certain cases.

As long as they are contributing 50/50 on the child’s expenses they shouldn’t have to pay support.

1 Like

I currently have a 50/50 agreement with my daughters dad and he pays child support, granted it’s only $66 a mth but :woman_shrugging:t3: it goes based of each person’s individual income. Her dad will always make more money then me, so he’ll have to pay child support. It’s support for the child. Idk why everyone gets all uppity about it, even with 50/50. Children are expensive AF and it should be about both people working towards making sure the children are taken care of at each parents house. It should be a collaboration between parents. But maybe that’s just me​:woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

In GA, my daughter has 50/50 and neither of them pay child support. He makes more than her too.

2 Likes

No he should not pay child support. It’s 50/50

2 Likes

Why are there not laws that control this disaster.

Go talk to a lawyer to stop the child support. Shouldn’t have to pay regardless of anyones income, if it’s 50/50 custody.

child support is in place to ensure the child has the same standard of living as they had without both parents living together. I can see why some parents have to pay, even though they split physical custody. Child support and child custody are two separate things

4 Likes

50/50 no… But I need to add… It doesn’t matter if the mom lives in a new home and the BF makes alot of money… (The bf is not responsible for the child)

7 Likes

l get paid over $120 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $11923 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Visit my profile and see website addres in my bio to get started.

6 Likes

Nope. Idc what anyone says. If y’all have equal time and all why should one parent pay child support? If the other parent can’t afford 50/50, instead of going for child support maybe they should just give the other parent more time. :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

Usually with 50/50 the one who makes more pays that’s how it works in my state or the parent who has majority custody gets child support

If it’s 50/50, than neither parent should pay child support.

5 Likes

If it’s 50/50 then I don’t think it’s right and even less so if mom has more income then dad

I personally believe as a parent, you shouldn’t wait for the court to decide on child support for your kids, you should be supporting them regardless. If you are required by the law to support your kids, shut up and gladly do it unless the other parent isn’t taking proper care of the kids, then there’s a problem

Depends on who pays childcare, health insurance, medical bills, etc? Who takes off if the kid is sick or has an appt? Who claims the kid on taxes?

1 Like

50/50 I wouldnt think so. I mean wouldn’t he be able to do the same to you if you made more money. To me he is supporting his 50% and you support your 50% if he didnt have custody or only weekends yeah bc you would be supporting his half.

If man is taking care of the child and it’s split custody then going for child support is bs. Child support is now used against men and it shouldn’t be. It’s when one doesn’t do their part but if both are doing their part and working together well then don’t do that to a man. There’s absolutely no reason to do it when someone takes care of their responsibility.