Should family be paid to babysit?

I mean i get its family but she is 62. Some people are different. Alot of families do charge but 65 a week is not bad considering what you would pay for daycare. As people get older think about how it could affect her nerves and such

2 Likes

Absolutely, positively, supercalifragislisticalidocious…nothing more despicable than a job well done and not paid for.
This post would be given the out most importance to all mothers…
That since the beginning of time have giving life, health, well being for ungrateful brats.

2 Likes

My mom , dad
And my husbands parents have never asked for money. We’ve tried to give them something. And they refuse everytime.
With my siblings. When we watch each other’s kids we pay each other.
I’d never expect my kids to pay me to watch my grandchildren (years from now when they have their own families).

1 Like

Gotta make money too

Wow!!! Showing your privilege…try daycare…you’ll THANK your grandma!!!

7 Likes

Yes you should pay her. Daycare is way more expensive than 65.00 a week. Be different if she was just watching him for an emergency or something but this is so you can work. Which means she is working too. SMH

2 Likes

Yes they should, that’s way cheaper than any sitter would ask for.

2 Likes

Why would you be upset… it gives grandma a little extra spending money … and you would pay almost twice that at a regular day care… be thankful you know he is well taken care of and his with someone that lives him

3 Likes

Babysitting is work. I had my brother pay me to watch his son. Though that was full time 5 days a week starting at 6 am. Though if you dont want to pay her, fund a different sitter

1 Like

A lot cheaper and way better than day care.

3 Likes

Absolutely! No no no no. Mama in denial. I don’t care who you are, how many kids you have or how broke you are! No child is “easy” to care for. I babysat 4 additional children for three years, in addition to our 7 children. I have consistency, rules, boundaries and time outs. Children are not perfect and are not easy all of the time. Mom needs to appreciate what she has, while she has it. Pay her!

4 Likes

Omg that’s ur grandma !!!
I give my grandma $$ and she’s never watched my babies we live on opposite sides of the world !!!
#respectyourelders

3 Likes

Yes! Unless they say they don’t want the money. I keep mine when needed and so does the other grandma but some may need the extra income.

I had an in home daycare for 17 -1/2

She’s within her rights to ask to be paid and you’re within your rights to refuse and have someone else babysit your child. It just depends on if you feel it’s worth it to have her babysit.

3 Likes

Absolutely you should pay . What a deal.

3 Likes

I think its wrong! Close family like this should not ask you money. I would understand maybe a aunt or cousins ok but grandma/mom shouldn’t

4 Likes

Btw…maybe grandma knows how unbelievably entitled you are and is trying to teach you responsibility. What she should do is quit and let you go find childcare in the real world. Time to grow up little girl…no one owes you anything for free. Even if you have the best child ever🙄

10 Likes

My mom watches my daughter while I’m working. On average, I work 30 hrs a week. I pay her $500 a month. Which is less than a daycare would charge me. When I work more, I pay her more. During my busy summer season, I’ll work 40hrs a week and pay her closer to $600-700 month. I appreciate all her help and she deserves ALOT more than what I’m able to pay her.

9 Likes

Let’s see grandma is 65 and does not have to watch him at all!

4 Likes

I pay $62.50 a day for daycare I would take $65 a week!

6 Likes

Not to be an ass but there’s lots of women out there that think they have the most perfect child ever that does no wrong :joy:

65 a week for 3 days a week thats not bad. Maybe she kinda needs the money. Some people are different some will ask u to pay them n some wont but honestly 65 not that bad vonsidering ud be paying 150 to 175 a week at a daycare

3 Likes

She should have to demand it. You should be paying her willingly.

5 Likes

I would say if it was a regular thing, like this is, then that is a reasonable price to pay.

3 Likes

$65 is cheap pay the woman she doesn’t OWE YOU babysitting let along FREE babysitting

4 Likes

Daycare is 50-80 a day :woman_shrugging:t6: I think she’s cutting you a deal! My God brother pays my mom 150 for a week of watching his child!

2 Likes

Is it nice if family does these things for free? Sure. But I’m assuming you do this because daycare costs more, and beggars can’t be choosers. If it would cost less to send him to daycare, then perhaps you should do that. But you can’t force someone to watch your kid for free. And no matter how independent he is, she is still obligated to put off whatever else she might be interested in doing to be there for him on those days, every week, indefinitely… right? Try being grateful instead of petty. Having said that, there’s no law that says you can’t negotiate. Talk her down to $50, or offer instead to mow her lawn every week and clean her house twice a month. Is it possible that she needs the money? Social security doesn’t pay much and Medicare supplement plans are expensive. Do you know for a fact that she doesn’t need that money? We make a lot of assumptions about other people’s finances sometimes. She’s only charging like 5 or 6 bucks an hour. That’s not even minimum wage. So… idk. This one looks WAY worse on you, than it does on her.
…Look, I’m not saying that I wouldn’t be mildly disappointed if a family member charged me to babysit, but my gratitude would outweigh my disappointment by enough that I wouldn’t feel the need (or the stupidity) to publically admit to it. lol

4 Likes

$65 a week is CHEAP!! I wouldn’t complain, she’s doing YOU A FAVOR AND SGE DESERVES TO BE PAID!!! If you aren’t happy then find a daycare for him!! I’m sure he is safe and well cared for by her!!!

4 Likes

Ummm…yes pay her. This isn’t a visit. It’s something she has to commit to so you can work.

4 Likes

Pay her! She is cheap and probably needs the money.

2 Likes

My sister paid me to watch my older niece after he had my youngest niece. It was cheaper then putting both in daycare. I got $90 a week

1 Like

My grandchild who is three is the best kid ever. But still wears me out!! That seems like a more than fair amount to pay!

3 Likes

If a person wants to be compensated for their time, regardless of whether they are family , so it should be! Would you do YOUR job without compensation? For Pete’s sake it’s only 5 bucks an hour she’s requesting!

4 Likes

It depends on circumstances It would never take money ftim kids I enjoy them around me

I would never expect family or friends to watch my child for free, especially if it’s set times/hours/days a week.

Dont like it, pay daycare/baby sitter rates.

5 Likes

Y’all crazy. Family shouldn’t charge to watch your children. To me that’s wrong. I must be lucky. My entire family will watch each other’s kids for FREE! Money is never even thought about. And I babysat kids in my family. Never asked for money. That’s just stupid to me. Especially your own grandchild? Seems like she just care for money and not the grandchild. Sad!!!

Maybe she needs the extra $ . Be Thankful you still have your Grandma.

6 Likes

My sister in law watches my son and i pay her. My mom was watching him for a bit and i paid her too. Not as much as i would pay a daycare but still i gave them money because they didn’t have to watch him at all for me and i was super happy it was family. If you feel like $65 is too much, see if she’ll take $50 but yeah you should totally pay her something and really $65 isnt bad at all

3 Likes

I always paid my mother in law to watch the babies. She could work a different part time job if she wasn’t watching my kiddos and she is on a fixed income and doesn’t have much as it is.

3 Likes

No! Absolutely not u shouldn’t pay. Family, ESPECIALLY grandmother’s should be taken advantage of and watch YOUR kids for free AND supply all food and necessities. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: #some people #smh 🤦🤦

4 Likes

I pay my MIL $40 per day to watch mine. Equals 400 a month on top of paying 175 a week for day care. She feeds my kid, she gets her to bed, ensures she has a bath, is able to pick her up if she is sick while I’m working, she lives at my house for the whole time on tour. She is worth every penny for my piece of mind that my child is being cared for properly and not mistreated. Plus she now spends more time at my house than hers (lives an 1 1/2 away) I would be lost with her when my husband deploys. Instead of thinking how much your paying realize there are other things she could be doing besides helping you raise your child and caring for them.

3 Likes

Pay her. Most babysitters charge $10-15 an hour. You are actually getting a hell of a deal.

4 Likes

This is one of the rudest post I’ve read on here! Who cares if someone pays their family or doesn’t! Some family won’t accept money where as some demand it! To each their own! Y’all are rude af to each other! Calling her a whinning brat!..y’all need Jesus!

3 Likes

my mum never takes money for watching my son, I always offer, even if its make/buy them tea, but she loves spending time with him xx

3 Likes

Yes, you should be paying her something and $65 isn’t much to ask. I used to rent a house from my grandparents that was paid off and guess what? I still paid full rent you know why?? Because I have 2 other cousins that didn’t live up under my grandparents and had to pay rent elsewhere so what would it look like to them if I was living under grandma for FREE?.. Same concept just because she might not need the $65 she’s still providing you a service a service I might add you’d be paying triple for elsewhere. Be appreciative most of the time I have to bring my kids with me to work because I simply cannot afford $250/300 a week.

1 Like

Pay her. You have a bargain here. Most seniors need the $$

1 Like

Yes you should compensate her for her time. $65 is nothing.

2 Likes

I paid my cousin to watch my oldest son when he was a baby

I look after mine for 7 1/2 hrs during week and have them from 3pm on Saturday all night and I’m honoured to do it, I work as well

It’s a courtesy to pay a family member to watch your child. I keep my niece, and my sister gives me $100 every 2 weeks. I have never asked her to pay me, but she does.

1 Like

YES THEY SHOULD BE PAID that isnt that much try daycare then you got something to bitch about you sound entitled and selfish

If she wants to be paid I would pay her no ones obligated to watch your child if it makes u so mad u could pay someone else u find more deserving :unamused:

4 Likes

She’s Grandma, so a big fat NO

4 Likes

I’m so grateful to have family who don’t demand or expect to get paid to watch my baby. They voluntarily ask to watch her which is more safer to me than going to a daycare which seem to be more dangerous these days. I would offer anything I could but they absolutely refuse because they love spending time with them. I am grateful for each person and her grandpa who volunteered to watch her and will express my appreciation and gratitude. I don’t think the person posting this is ungrateful, I think she just sees things differently and maybe would watch her grandchildren with no price attached. All people are different though.

1 Like

I have never paid for child care. My oldest is almost 21. My parents and my late grandma watched them for me. They have never asked for a dime. I do however pay for my mothers cell phone as a thank you

1 Like

Elizabeth Salas,Erica Rodriguez

Sorry, I had a daycare in my home for 17-1/2 yrs. It is truly hard work. I took care of my Grandchildren and my daughters paid me. Like they said they would rather pay me than someone else. Your grandma deserves something for being committed to stay home to watch them. Be thankful you have a family member who wants to take care of her. You could be paying 500.00, per month!!!

4 Likes

I honestly would be upset about it… However if my kids grandma watched one of them like that. Yes I would gladly pay that.

1 Like

I am Gramma to six (aged 13 years to two years). My daughter has four children, my son has two children. I look after ALL of them. My husband and I also take them to shows, concerts, museums and play places. Yesterday, we took them to the Santa Claus Parade. I don’t expect any monetary payment. However, I do like to receive a good old thank you, signs of appreciation, lots of love and cuddles. It IS expensive and we are semi retired, but I don’t expect money for their care. My children deserve to get a break from daycare expenses so that they can live more comfortably without the added burden. They just wont get quite as much of an inheritance when I am gone - but that’s the point isn’t it. Give them the love while we are still here. And doing this for my children is pure and utter joy.

2 Likes

If she wants to be paid, you need to pay her. You’re getting a great deal.

6 Likes

My mom is like 63 or 64 and I pay her 40$ a day for my kids. I mean she allows me weeks to not pay her u til I have the money but I always pay her because she shouldn’t just work for free

4 Likes

I’m sorry I’m one of those people that believe in paying people for babysitting your child family or no family there still providing you a service are still taking time out of their day so yes I do believe you should pay her that is just my

4 Likes

Feel free to stop paying and take your kid to stranger that charges more…:roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Yes family or not they should get paid. The child may be easy to care for but it takes away from her time that she could be choosing to do other things with. Paying a family member is a great way to say hey, I appreciate all you do!

3 Likes

Did they lay on da bed with you? Anyone who watches ur child should be paid.

3 Likes

How about thinking about the possibility like myself 67 disabled and living on a small social
Security income ? No not $65 but at least something $20 , food I can eat & a nice appreciation would be great . No one should feel obligated , used & abused even if as the kids grandma who adores them . To be treated like you don’t matter isn’t great . Besides it is at the parents schedule without any concern for mine . Retired or not even seniors have lives .

4 Likes

65 dollars is nothing compared to the cost of daycare. Count yourself lucky.

4 Likes

So she is demanding you to give her money to spend time with her grandson?? Nah. That dont fly with me.

2 Likes

You’re obviously much younger than your grandmother. While you think it’s not a difficult job, I assure you, at her age, it’s harder for her than a young mother. Look up day care and their rates, then complain! Just because they’re family doesn’t mean they’re obligated to babysit for free! Ever stop to think she might be on a fixed income, feeding YOUR child costs money that she may not have! Stop being so selfish and entitled, you’re owed nothing!! If you’re too damn cheap to pay her, figure out another person to do it!! Unbelievable :roll_eyes:

I have mixed feelings about this…being a grandmother of 6 and soon to be a Great grandma…I have helped raise all 6 of my grandchildren at one time or another…I’ve Never wanted to ask for money…I did Love being with my grandchildren so my daughters could work or go on vacations,doctor appointments or shopping etc. I did my best. Allot of the time it ment Not taking medication that I needed because of side effects…( you have to be on your toes while. careing for little ones, everything can and will happen)
So I didn’t ask for anything…just wanted their love.
Where are they all Now??..How many times did my husband want us to go do things but I put the grandchildren first.Now that they are all grown they don’t need me anymore…I very rarely see any of them. I watch their lives on Facebook…Sorry this is so long…I guess I say you should pay your grandmother she probably needs the money and NO daycare could Love your child like his grandma

12 Likes

Be lucky you have family willing to watch them. I pay 780 a month.

8 Likes

Try daycare and you will RETHINK your decision.

7 Likes

If she offered originally to watch the baby for nothing then that’s a different story but if she’s said before she’s going to babysit for fee then it should surprise you. At my daughters daycare it’s $500 a week for infant. And $300 a week for preschool.

4 Likes

$65/week is a hell of a lot better than $200+/week. You are asking a service of someone. Something they don’t have to do by obligation. He is not her child and this sounds like a standing routine you have instead of just once in a while. I can’t imagine your grandma is being malicious by asking to be paid. I don’t know her financial situation but she may be watching your kid specifically to make a few extra bucks. He may be a good child but while he’s at her house he’s eating her food, using her water and using her electricity. If she comes to you then that’s gas money. Take the win because professional childcare is robbery.

3 Likes

Just think about how much you would be paying for daycare. She is doing you a favor and should be compensated for her time and effort. Don’t be ungrateful.

5 Likes

Just cause she’s family doesn’t mean she’s a free babysitter. 65/week is WAY cheaper than any daycare or nanny.

4 Likes

Yes, they should be compensated… especially if they request it. Your grandmother doesn’t HAVE to watch your son, so be grateful that it’s only $65/week compared to what a regular sitter would charge.

4 Likes

I think if ANYONE is watching your child on a regular basis they should be offered pay. If they don’t want to take it, That’s one thing. But it’s not fair to ask anyone to watch your child on a regular basis for nothing.
$65/week could be used for food to feed your child? That’s not a lot of money and you won’t find child care that cheap anywhere else!

6 Likes

Man I am so I have a grandparents who don’t charge a thing…but everyone see’s things differently. Most daycares you will pay for the entire week regardless of how long they are there and even if it’s not everyday of the week. You are paying less then what you would be!

1 Like

If you brought your son to a childcare they would charge that daily almost even for short period of time. Both my parents are retired and I don’t ask them to watch my child only because they are grandparents not babysitters it’s a privilege. I would say come up with a number you can agree on or fine other childcare. I don’t think you should ever expect someone to watch your child for free.

4 Likes

Im not sure I understand why it makes you “livid” to pay anyone to watch your child. Having someone dependable and that you know will be loving is priceless.

7 Likes

If she ask for money ,she must need it. Im sure she feeds your child. , buys toys too. Thats not much ,its the safest ,cheapest , your gonna get.

3 Likes

My daughter mother in law charges her $500 each payday to babysit for her to work

1 Like

May be your mum has no means of getting pocket money. She’s just human and she would like to buy herself somethings. Have you ever thought about just giving your mother money just like that?

1 Like

family is allowed to ask to be paid just like anyone else would be…

2 Likes

Wow. Let’s talk about entitled much?
Every family is different. I’ve never had to pay family to watch my son. But if they’d have asked i would have. Why?
They raised their kids. They are under absolutely no obligation to watch mine.

6 Likes

Does she need the money? If it helps her makes ends meet then yes.

4 Likes

Yes you should just because most of the money probaly gose right back to the kids thats what i do with nephews and grandkids.

6 Likes

Pay her. Or go find someone else to watch them and pay way more than $65.

2 Likes

Yes. Grandparent. Has live also. U. Get a babysitter see what u pay.

2 Likes

This question is fucking absurd and can’t be for real.

Ummm…YES! Smdh… Honestly, if it makes you so damn livid, you are more than welcome to find someone else. The time matters and it’s time she could be doing something for herself or making money some other more lucrative way. Add to that, you have no idea how to draining that task probably is and her age.

I pay my mother 5$ an hour to watch my son.

1 Like

You’re moaning over giving her way less money than a child minder would cost you. Get a grip, people don’t have to give up their time to watch your child, she could be working those hours and earning more. Show some gratitude and stop expecting people to do shit for free.

Just my opinion i always ask before hand hey are okay with watching my son for a few hrs i need to do errands, or laundry. My mother and sister in law always jump at the chance. But its once a week for each of them at most twice. It just depends if they asked for 20$ a day i see no harm in it. I provide everything but its their time. And time has value.

1 Like

I think its reasonable. 5 year olds are nuts. Her time is no less valuable than anyone elses because shes family…
Plus $65/3 days…couple hours each day. That’s a steal, basically $20/day.

3 Likes

My parents didnt charge us. And my grandparents didnt charge my po arents when we visited.

I think it’s pretty reasonable tbh. She is giving up her time to help you. And also this is cheaper than daycare. If you can’t afford it then speak to her about an about you can afford and that will suit her as well. Otherwise you’ll have to use daycare which will cost a lot more

3 Likes

Yep! Unless they offer to watch them like for a date night, that would be my only time I wouldn’t assume I need to pay them. If it’s a weekly scheduled thing, multiple days worth, so you can work, then I absolutely would expect to pay them.

3 Likes