Should I allow my kids to continue sleeping in my room?

Well, my daughter is 14 and she’s right beside me every morning when I wake up!! I’ve been with my boyfriend for a lot of years BUT we don’t live together :blush: My son is 17 and every now and then he makes a place for himself in the floor beside the bed if he’s not feeling well, he knows I’m right there :woman_shrugging:
There will always be a place in my room for my kiddos :two_hearts:

2 Likes

:nauseated_face::face_vomiting:seriously what’s wrong with you, how can you think this ok? I agree with the dad. If I were him I’d take the kids away from you. Sorry but man get morning wood and kids in bed, ya that’s a hell no. Kids should sleep in their own bed and in their own room period.

1 Like

Yeah I think it’s time to move them to their own beds.

Id imagine is hard for there dad they must be so out of sorts when go to his. If in there own room there they should be at yours. It must cause issues with sex life with new man aswel, id not be amused tbf. You need alone time. I co slept with all 5 of mine but they went there own bed by 2.

I think it’s fine that the kids share a bed with you but not with the boyfriend. As I type this I have my 9 6 and 3 year olds in my bed. At times my 11 and 16 year olds will also come in but not very often. I live alone with my kids. When I was with the little kids dad he slept with us but my older 2 had their own room

1 Like

They need their own rooms for themselves and especially since this relationship is not their dad. You need to set healthy boundaries and you’re not doing so .

2 Likes

Roles reversed, I would not be cool with another woman sleeping in the same bed or room as my kids. In my opinion either the kids sleep with you or the boyfriend does, 1 or the other. I coslept for a bit with my kids so I get that bond but they should not be having that bond with someone who is not their parent but again that is my opinion. Obviously their dad is having an issue with it or wouldn’t be bringing it up and sounds like he is trying to respectfully address the issue.

1 Like

You know kids grow up to fast sometimes I wake up with 5 people in my bed my husband’s 2 older boys from a previous marriage 7 and 11
But the 2 are always just snuggled up to there father or they curl up on the floor by my bed
Be for you know it they will want to sleep in there own rooms so I would just enjoy it
Your ex can do as he please in his own home

In my home what happens in my home is what is it and it’s not the same at there moms so it’s different in both homes

I co parent. My boys sleep in their own beds or each others beds when my partner stays over. On the odd occasion monthly they would sleep with me in my bed when my partner is not there they love sleeping with me. I however, i don’t like it because I am evicted to the bottom of the bed :sweat_smile:. When they are at their dads they sleep in the same room as him. He has a double bed and a single bed in the same room. I personally and my boyfriend would not allow it to have them sleep in the same room. Even on holidays. But that is a case of tolerance 2 boys would drive anyone mad :rofl:. I dont think it is right doesn’t your partner want to have quality intimate time with you

I don’t see a problem with co-sleeping at all but since you are co-parenting you need to compromise. If the father isn’t comfortable with it then his feelings on the matter need to be obliged.

1 Like

You have issues. Get those kids out of ur room.

I wouldn’t trust a different man to sleep with my kids. Period.

Move the 6 year old into her own room. Try to get the 3 year old into their own room. You will regret this if you don’t do it now with the 3 year old. My daughter is 5 she has a hard time sleeping in her own bed and I’ve been trying for a year it’s better than it was but still she has a hard time.

I think this is a matter which ought to be dealt with between you and your ex. If the problem currently is because he has objections to your sleeping arrangement, perhaps if you heard him out about why he’s concerned, you could arrive at a solution w/o involving people who don’t know you. For Instance, I got hung up at learning that you’ve moved on to having a boyfriend, even though you are only separated from your marriage. If I was ‘done’ enough with my husband to move on, I’d probably go ahead and end my marriage completely. So (with that said, I cannot really formulate a good answer to your question, because I don’t know enough about your situation. I hope you are able to resolve this wisely soon.

1 Like

We co-sleep with my 3 year old. However, I would not be comfortable incase my husband and I separated and then he had to sleep with his girlfriend.

I love sleeping with my kids but theres 4 of them now and me and there dad were just not getting a good night sleep squashing up so they all sleep together in a king bed which makes me feel a bit better so I know there not sleeping on there own. My 6 3 and 2 year old. Our nb sleeps next to us but I think they should be in there own room that’s ur guys space

My youngest daughter sleeps in my bed with me but I do have a two bedroom home an with two other girls in the house that are Teenages ( 16,14, an 7) all girls but it’s really up to u. I have to have my youngest daughter in my bed cause there isn’t any room for another bed for her right now until I move.

I used to sleep with my daughter all the time but when she was 4 her father called DHS an told them plus other crazy stuff they said once a child was over 2 they needed to have their own beds preferably in their own rooms but they didn’t push that so bad they also said if there was someone else sleeping in the bed that wasn’t biologically kin to them that charges could be pressed so my opinion would be have them sleep with their own beds :wink:

1 Like

If your boyfriend is in your bed why would you have your kids in the same bed is probably why your exs thoughts

4 Likes

My daughter who will be 1w next month will sleep with me bit only if she had a bad dream or a bad day at school she slept with me on and off. But like the one comment said your house ypur rules. But it does help that to let them fall asleep in your room then move them to their bed in their room

Your home, your rules.

Honey my opinion is keep them as close to you as you possibly can. It won’t last forever.

My son co slept with us as a baby til we got divorced when he was a toddler and with me til he was 5. He had no problems sleeping in his own room at his daddy’s house. It was “our” thing. We get along great to coparent and respect what each chooses to do at our respectable houses. When I got pregnant with my second, I transistioned him to his room and slept in there a few nights and he was fine. Now he’s 7 and enjoys his own room with no issues, but still likes to sneak cuddles with Mama and now baby sister! :smiley:

Same happened after my divorce. It’s so hard. Finally after three years and they have gotten older, they have moved to their own rooms. My kids are healthy and well-adjusted, I do not think it caused them any harm those years sleeping with me!

23 Likes

Whatever you do it will benefit your children if you are both on the same page and consistent. Put your pride, your wants aside and do what’s best for the children. That is the best gift you can give them. I dated a Dad of a 2 year old girl and her Mom (his ex) was shocked then thrilled when I called to ask her if we could discuss her potty training rules, bedtime rituals, etc. I loved that child and just wanted the best for her and even tho we parted when she was 9 it made those 7 years together much more meaningful and stress free for everyone.

11 Likes

In their own rooms. I think if one hpuse is trying to do a routine. Its only fair for the other to help too. Just like potty training. I would have a routine down and my youngest would do great for us by the time they went to their dads. Then they wold come back and I had to start over because they didn’t work with her

56 Likes

Although it’s hard for you, you have to do what is best for your children. In my opinion, what is best is what nurtures them and prepares them to get the the next stage of their childhood, then preteen, then teen. What is best is to help them start to gain confidence through small steps toward independence. Their own bed, space, etc is what helps them. You will always feel the mama pull, not wanting to let go, but when you view this as something your child needs to grow maybe that will help.

14 Likes

It hard to let go, it is time. Your son needs to sleep in his own room. It will be a transition but if you stick to it it will be better for him and for you

33 Likes

I have always been a proponent of everyone in their own beds. I think it’s a good idea to get the kids used to sleeping in their own beds. Try getting them bedding of their favorite characters and saying how cool it is they have big kid beds to sleep in.

40 Likes

Your children need to be in their own beds in their own rooms. It’s inappropriate for them to be in the same room with you and your boyfriend. Hopefully you’re not being intimate with them in the same room. Their father has a good point and could take you to court over this matter. I think you asking for others opinions you already know what you should do.

78 Likes

Just my opinion, but I don’t think kids should sleep in the same room/bed with a man that’s not their father.

220 Likes

Time for both kids to sleep in their own rooms. You got a boyfriend so your children shouldn’t be sleeping in same bed or room as you guys. Your ex could be a jerk and have the courts say you cannot have your children sleeping in the same bed/ room as you and your boyfriend if he truly wants to go down that road.

39 Likes

I have to be the odd person out here. I feel the original posters pain. My son is almost 14 months old and he sleeps in the bed with me and his dad. From my understanding she and her boyfriend have been together fora year and a half so he isn’t a stranger or a new person in the children’s lives. The 6 year old may be old enough to move to her own room, but personally, I hope my little cuddle bug wants to sleep with me until he’s at least 4 or 5.

10 Likes

I can tell you as a Gramma & a Great- Gramma - I don’t see your kids sleeping with you as an issue but the boyfriend needs to go home to his own bed😊

110 Likes

Children belong in their own cribs, beds. They certainly don’t belong in a bed with you and your boyfriend. Even if there was no boyfriend they still need to sleep in their own beds. It is a dangerous policy . Instead of asking faceless FaceBook people do your research on co-sleeping and it’s dangers. As far as the Dad, he has every right to require his children to sleep away from a mother’s boyfriend.

7 Likes

With a boyfriend they should be in their own rooms. It is kinda creepy he would want to sleep with them to be honest

61 Likes

Your kids are old enough to be in their own beds in their own room, I hope and pray you don’t have sex while they are in the same room as you two. Very awkward and inappropriate if you do

22 Likes

I can understand the 2 year old sleeping with you but the 6 year old needs to sleep in her own room in her own bed.

5 Likes

I think the kids should be in their own rooms, especially since you have a man in the house that is NOT their dad. That is just asking for trouble having them sleep with you, especially the daughter since she is older. That is just not a good situation regardless of how much you trust your boyfriend.

18 Likes

You’ll regret it! Put them in their own rooms. I had this issue and it took forever to get them to sleep in their own rooms and comfort their selfs!

30 Likes

They should sleep in their own rooms at their ages if it would make you feel better put both beds in one room until the 2year old is4years then they should each have their own rooms.

11 Likes

I would encourage privacy and having them sleep in their own rooms. Your 6 year definitely old enough. You can work on the 2 year old starting the night in his own room and if he comes in once in a while it’s ok but encourage him back to his own space. There are methods like sitting on the floor while the child relaxes in bed without speaking so they still feel secure.

17 Likes

Co sleeping with a parent is one thing. Co sleeping with a boyfriend seems extremely inappropriate.

41 Likes

I have 2 grand girls (8&9) they both have their own bed on their own room yet they will NOT sleep any where except with me! I don’t have a man around so I’m ok with it even at this age but I would NEVER allow them to sleep with me and a man at any age.

19 Likes

Children should sleep in their own bed in their own room. Co-sleeping is not healthy for anyone.

28 Likes

Some of my kids coslept, some didn’t. My youngest turned 5 last October and stopped cosleeping about 6 months ago. He spends an occasional night with us, like maybe 2 or 3 times a month.
Our rule was by the time they are in Kindergarten they should be in their own room. So I say the 2 year old is okay but I would work with the 6 year old on getting her comfortable in her own room.
But as some have said, do what feels right for you!

4 Likes

Research would say there’s nothing wrong with it so long as there. Is nothing going on. If it’s just sleeping and security do what gels right to you.

8 Likes

I bet you didn’t like most of these responses. I allowed my son to sleep with us… i later found out that it wasnt for his insecurity. It was mine. He was my last baby. I didnt want to let go. I think it is s form of mental illness, towant to sleep with your children. Not sexual, a detachment illness.

3 Likes

If you have to ask the question then you already know the answer

17 Likes

Your children sleep with you and boyfriend. That is a big no no. If you alone no big.

16 Likes

How do you and the boyfriend spend intimate together. Hopefully it’s not while the kids are in the room.

12 Likes

I don’t think the boyfriend should be sleeping over with those young children around and definitely not in same bed.

12 Likes

I wouldn’t allow your kids to cosleep with you if the boyfriend is sleeping with you too. I can understand their father being uncomfortable with that, as well he should be. I wouldn’t be okay with it either if I was him. I just don’t think it’s appropriate for your boyfriend to share a bed with your kids. I think your kids’ father is right. As long as your boyfriend is there, the kids should be in their own beds in their own rooms. I think you should respect the father’s wishes. I’d be uncomfortable with the boyfriend living with you at all if I was the dad.

83 Likes

Have them sleep in their own room. It’s kind of creepy having your boyfriend sleep so close to your children

10 Likes

I believe they will feel better sleeping in their own room. You can always put in a monitor or check on them

10 Likes

They need to be in their own room and their own bed.

10 Likes

They need to be sleeping in there own beds in there own room for sure.

9 Likes

Personally, I would have the children sleep in their own rooms especially since you have another man sleeping with you.
If a man is not concerned about having sex with kids in the room that is not his, that is more concerning. Or even a man that is ok with a six year old girl in the room where he is going to be sleeping. Again, this is my own opinion. Good luck to you and do what is best for your kids.

11 Likes

Wouldn’t be an issue, if your boyfriend wasn’t there. Breakups are hard enough, your kids shouldn’t have to go through it every time you do.

8 Likes

ALL of my kids slept with us until about 5 or 6. They decided when they wanted to go to their own bed. I’m like you. I felt so comfortable and knew they were safe.

6 Likes

I think the 6 year old is a little too old to still be in your room. I can maybe understand the 2 year old, but I never coslept with my kids. Does your boyfriend live with you? Or just stay the night sometimes? How do you manage intimacy with him if your kids are in your room all the time?

9 Likes

You do what feels right for you. They are only little once!

9 Likes

Children should have their own quiet space as well as adults, regardless of your situation.

6 Likes

LOVE co-sleeping and that extra time I get with my kids. LOVE waking up to their faces and cuddles.

5 Likes

I don’t think so. Maybe in a Thunder storm. Lol

5 Likes

It is time to teach to sleep in their own bedroom.

3 Likes

I had a in house day care so I could stay home with my kids. I always made sure they had they’re own cozy place to sleep. Kids need that safe place.

1 Like

I think you should have them in their own bed in their own rooms. Especially if that’s how it is at dad’s house …it’s just better all the way around. If he wanted to be ugly he could really pin you in a corner with this subject. Not saying he will. But he can.

2 Likes

I think it happens naturally. They will want their own space sooner than later. My two children room share with me and we love it. They sleep soundly and feel secure. When they are ready they can do their own thing. We are one of few cultures that stress this need to seperate our children from us during sleep. I understand your ex cant give them that security but it’s okay for you to.

1 Like

I’m divorced and remarried. Both my boys are close to their step dad and love being near him. My oldest is 12 and sleeps in his own room now. My youngest is 6 and refuses to sleep in the room so we have a little spot for him with us. He knows he isn’t to be in the bed at night but more often than not, his step dad will scoop him up and put him in bed with me when he leaves for work. You can have your babies close without cosleeping. :heart:

1 Like

You need to move the boyfriend out!!! Your ex could probably get custody of the children because you let them sleep in the bed while he is there. I would never allow my children to sleep in bed with me while my boyfriend is in the same bed.

2 Likes

To those worried that the boyfriend could molest the children with them sleeping in the same room. He could also do that if they were in their own rooms. It would be easier to do without the mother seeing. I don’t like the same bed sleeping either but if the bedroom s big enough perhaps they could put a bed big enough for both children to sleep in together until they are ready to move on.

1 Like

Not big on the co-sleeping, at all. Especially since they are sleeping with the boyfriend, too. There was a movie, years ago, with Diane Keaton and Liam Neeson, called The Good Mother. He was her boyfriend, and her daughter would come in and sleep with them. Her husband found out, and sued for custody. She eventually had to choose between her daughter and the boyfriend.

1 Like

I slept in a room with my sisters until I was 9. My bed was a bottom of a trundle bed. I always got up into my older sister’s bed. Then when my parents got divorced, i lived with my dad for awhile and…had to sleep with him because i was too scared to sleep alone. Then, i eventually moved in with my mom at 11 and had a VERY hard time sleeping alone. I would pile all of my stuffed animals around me.
I vowed to never have any of my children sleep with me, as i knew how scared I was sleeping alone. (I have four children, youngest being 17).

1 Like

My kids and grandkids and now great grandkids slept in my bed and or their parents. Never found anything wrong with it. If their Dad doesnt like it then he shouldn’t let them with him. But it is a bonding time. now with that said…a boyfriend aaaa nope…unless they are in a little bed next to moms side…

1 Like

NO ONE but a child’s parent should ever sleep with your children! Ever!

2 Likes

You’re the parent, their mama. YOU get to decide where they sleep when they are home with you! Routine is making sure they go to bed at the same time every night, eat at the same time, etc. Do you feel uncomfortable with them being there with your boyfriend? Do the kids? Does he? Ask them!

1 Like

I don’t see a problem with it. My youngest slept in my bed not every night but most until he was about 8… most times sneaking in. We had broke him of it until his Dad died when he was 9… then he was with me again until almost 11… it’s comforting to them. I’m glad your bf accepts that, do what u think is right.

1 Like

yeah kids need their own rooms in this case. especially to help the other parent with sleeping arrangements on his days. also, in the case of sex with the boyfriend. super not okay for them to be in the room for that.

2 Likes

Move the kids into a different room but together. I dont agree them sleeping with the boyfriend. I am sure adult things happen in that room and a 6 year old is old enough to be curious. Plus the 2 year old is in the bed with you.

1 Like

I think most parents who do cosleeing beyond infants needs to feed constantly do it for themselves, not thier kids. Let them grow up to be independent and have their own space. And if you refuse, no one other than the parents should be in the room. It is inappropriate.

My 2 cents, what it’s worth , is honor their dads wishes on this one. Find something else to bond with your kids.

1 Like

I personally think that the kids need their own beds in their own rooms. I am not anti cosleeping because I did it with both of my children until my youngest was a year old maybe a few months older and they did transition fine for a few months although why they reverted was so to other issues that I’d rather not go into. But I believe that like many others have said, your boyfriend is the biggest issue in this scenario. Honestly even though you are separated you are still married and having a boyfriend staying over is inappropriate with your kids in the room. If you are insistant that your kids sleep in your bed, you need to send your bf home at night. Because that can and probably will backfire on you should things go south with your husband and the divorce.

1 Like

There are a lite of impolite answers why they shouldn’t but since you asked that we answer politely; the answer is definitely no kids should not be in bed with you and your boyfriend. They might not want to sleep in the bed with their dad just because they do it with you; their dad is gone ; they may feel threatened of losing you too.

1 Like

They are 6 years old and really I would not let my kids sleep in the same bed with me and my boyfriend! That’s not their father, and maybe if I slept by myself that’s a different story! Kids do take themselves out of their parents bed, but I can see where most fathers would like the kids in their own bed!

I tried forcing my son to sleep in his own bed when he was little. However, my husband and myself were both heavy sleepers most nights he would crawl in bed with us and we didn’t realize till morning. Eventually he trained him self to sleep in his own bed when he was ready.

I will say that he is 11 now and if for some reason one parent isn’t home for the night he still likes to snuggle on occasion.

I think you should talk to the dad find out why this concerns him so much and really listen to each other with your reasons and hopefully that way you can find. Solution you can both live with

1 Like

My first year of being separated before my divorce 2 out of 4 of my kids still co slept with me. They were 6 and 8. I’m still sharing a bed with 1 child (my only daughter) as we live in a 2 bedroom apartment and my oldest has moved out as he is 19. I cant wait till I can get a house where my remaining kiddos can each have a room but I’m in no hurry as I’m single and no plans of dating anytime soon.

1 Like

Personally, I had my children in their own rooms. I liked the privacy with their dad and it made them more independent. In your case I think both homes should be doing the same thing.

In their own rooms. You need to quit engaging in smother love. All human beings, including children, need a sense of independence, privacy, and personal space. You are not allowing this.

2 Likes

My first son I was a single mom and my son slept in bed with me most nights for years. He’s well adjusted and a great young adult now. My second son always slept in his own bed because dad wanted him to. He’s well adjusted also. If your child wants to sleep in bed with you let him. Let him choose.

Grow up lady! This is an accident waiting to happen. Why are you sleeping with your boyfriend in front of your children when you are married!!! I hope someone shakes some sense in you or a relative takes your children!

1 Like

My situation is reversed, my boys have always slept in their own beds in their rooms but at their dads house they would sleep with him. My boys go to their dads house every weekend and I’ve never had a problem with them sleeping in their rooms here at home. They were 1 and 5 when we divorced, now 12 & 15, they figured out the rule difference long ago and follow them.

I’m not saying your boyfriend would. However, statistically more kids with a non-parent male in the house have a higher likelihood of being molested. If you want to cuddle in bed, go to their room and lay down then move later. I understand the dad’s view on this.

1 Like

After my divorce, I did feel the same way. But, I have five children. My youngest who is 4 and autistic still sleeps in my room but in his own bed at the opposite end of my room. My four older children all have their own rooms and once my oldest moves out (she is 20) my youngest will be getting that room. I would try them in their own rooms and see how it goes. At some point you are going to want your own space. Start teaching them now so later you won’t have such a hard time.

In their own rooms in their own beds it won’t hurt them!

2 Likes

Please let them sleep in their own rooms

8 Likes

That honest should not matter to him my daughter slept in my room till 8 and my boys were about the same

1 Like

I don’t think should sleep with their parents at all after they are old enough to to be out of a bassinet. Parents need their private time without kids in their room or bed. I’m not saying that if they have a bad dream or are scared from an outside noise they shouldn’t be comforted with their parents in bed, but they should go back to their own beds once they feel safe and are claim. That is how I raised my kids and they are raising their kids

I shared a bedroom with my mom until I was probably 8-10 years old give or take. We lived in a oddly shaped house with weird bedrooms so my sister had her own room because she was older and I shared until we decided to give me the “play room” as my bedroom.

1 Like