Should I baptize my son even if I'm not religious?

Baptizing yiu child even though yiu are not religious is an AWESOME idea! Its probably the kindest thing you can do for him! Beautiful idea!
I do not believe in any one religion but I am a Christian. My mom baptised my girls in a kitchen sink while mom said prayers. For mom’s assurance for my girls.

7 Likes

What will it hurt? It will bring peace of mind to his father and grandmother. When he gets older he will choose his own beliefs. No matter your beliefs, you should be there because it would mean a lot to your family.

4 Likes

I baptized my son and want him to go thru all the classes just because is alot easier when there younger then as a an adult

5 Likes

Speaking as a teacher. Familes with children in school behave much better on average than those who have not gone to Sunday school or church

4 Likes

It is a nice family activity we raised our kids together in the church cause it was important to my husband and his family I also enjoyed the fellowship if you were raised different give it a go for your family you may enjoy!!Take what you want from it leave the rest it will me harmony in your family to attend with family!!

3 Likes

I think you should baptize the baby as long as its important to your MIL. As your child grows he can still make his own decision on church or what religion he wants to be. I was very disappointed when my son and daughter in law would not baptize my grandson. It still bothers me 3 years later.

2 Likes

I baptized one and had a dedication ceremony for the other . I look at it as positive loving ceremony. Of course how you raise them is even more important !
No negative down side
And a great :blush: upside :pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

If you don’t have an opinion one way or the other and it means so much to the father let them do it. If you child later on decided to either be a part of religion or not then no harm no foul.

If positions were reversed and you were religious and your partner had no opinion then you would baptize.

2 Likes

My personal preference I did not baptize my childten cause I feel its their choice to be or not. I dont go to church but whole hearted believe in god. If my children want to go they can if not thats ok to. I myself would like to be baptize but I’m scared of water over my face therefore I’m not but hopefully someday. You do what you feel is right for your child

Baptized him now because his father wants him baptized. You need to go to church so you can understand why they want him baptized. Hopefully you will find Christ in your life will be so much better

1 Like

I am Jewish and my husband is catholic. Neither one of us are active in our religion but I more than husband. I was getting flack from both sides of our family. My inlaws babysat him on Tuesdays and I was afraid they would have him baptized so I took it into my own hands. One day we took him to church. Had h blessed and named. Then we took him to the Rabbi who married us and had him named. Then we told the families. They were a bit upset but we explained it was done fir him, not them and they accepted it.

Generally Christian churches have a baby /child dedicated meaning they formally r introduce to the congregation as a new family member and the adults around the child make a commitment to encourage the child with their Christian walk if his side want to do that I would let them it will b great for a child to have the extra community and they can decide for themselves later then when he makes the dicision that’s when they call it baptism

No baptism is for people publicly proclaiming their faith. Babies can’t proclaim and baptism is not a step for access to eternal life in heaven.

1 Like

My husband was raised as a Catholic, then now I love pentacosta, and we have 3 kids but my husband said when we get to his village we will baptised them in Catholic way because all his family is Catholic
Mind me and hubby from different country

Infant baptism is a religious rite which essentially officially welcomes the little one into the world and the human family. It may mean more to the baby’s grandparents than to the parents.

Baptism is the outward sign to the world that you have accepted Jesus into your heart. Baptism without salvation is nothing

2 Likes

You need to ask yourself this, is it a bad thing? Will it harm my child? I think you know the answer, so don’t make it an issue. Only good can come from this where your whole family is concerned.

1 Like

We agreed before we got married that our children would be raised in my faith. Our children were baptized. We also agreed that once they were older like 12 they can do whatever makes them happy. It’s their journey but I gave them a base to decide with.

I am totally religion free, but even I know that baptizing an infant will bring him no harm.

1 Like

I have three kids,all baptized. All of my grandkids are not baptized. It’s their parents choice. It upsets me,but not my children.

I desperately wanted my children christened as baby’s. Hubby and his family were against the idea. We decided to have a naming day instead for our son but haven’t gotten around to organising anything for our daughter as yet

You christian or dedicate a baby for adults to provide guidance for a child. When that child is old enough to make that decision, on their own, then they get Baptisted in the belief of JESUS. AMEN

You used the term “my son”. It’s your hubbies son too. If it were me I would be thrilled that my hubby would want to do this! He cares and loves your son enough to want to protect him. Since you don’t have a strong feeling either way then I would say love it all up! It’s your hubby protecting his son. How special is that! Maybe before you do this maybe you can schedule a time to meet with the pastor and ask him to explain it all to you. That way you can go to it with full understanding and respect for your hubby and your extended family and enjoy what is taking place. I’m sure your hubby would appreciate you looking out for the best interest of your son too! I sure think it’s good of you to try to understand and learn about it! Or if course, choose not to as well. I’m sure your hubby would feel better that you made an informed decision if you chose not to instead of just saying no. One thing of note that I will say is with everything going on in the world I sure don’t think it would be a bad idea. Best of luck to you and your family with this decision. Looks like you’re being a great Mom already!!!

In my opinion, being baptized is symbolic of accepting Christ and choosing to live your life as such. A baby or small child obviously has no concept of what that means. My oldest was baptized when he was old enough to understand the meaning behind it.

I was like this with my sons dad they are very religious I am not. I said would leave it up to my son if he wants to go to church or get baptized. He is 10 and has never wanted to go so far.

That kind of a situation has been going on forever. I think it’s up to you and your husband. You may change your mind in the future or you may have to explain it to your child. Kindness counts. That’s how I feel but you I’m really on your own.

it causes no harm to the child and it creates a peaceful environment in the family~so allow your child to be baptized and save your reservations for bigger issues~

Let your son choose. When he is ready. Then it means something to him.

Go along with your husband and MIL because it’s important to them. When your son is older he will make his own mind up about how he feels about God.

If you aren’t religious but your husband is, let him make the decisions as to your son’s religious upbringing.

Go you might learnee what it’s like listen to what is said. something special might change your heart. And when they get older they may not understand why you don’t share it with your child.

As someone who grew up baptist but is now Pagan I can say I’m glad my parents didnt have me baptized. The religion isn’t for me so I’m glad I get to make the choice myself whether I wanted it or not. Let him choose when he’s older. That way he still has the chance to but if he doesn’t he doesn’t.

Well since baptism means that you repent of your sins and vow to worship god whole souled and a baby can’t vow and hasn’t sinned baptism in not valid, remember Jesus wasn’t baptized until he was thirty

Baptisms are frequently like family reunions, so if you have reservations just view it as a get-together. Plus, it is a beautiful and ancient ceremony

Babies do not right and wrong, there is no need to baptize one. Baptism is for people who know right and wrong per the Bible. No where in the Bible are Babies baptized. They are however presented to the church for a blessing to be dedicated.

Yes concentrate your child to God. Your husband has the right to ask for that. And you will be glad you did.

Good advice from everyone. Listen to them. You cannot go wrong.

Baptism is a public profession that a person has accepted Jesus Christ’s sacrifice of death, burial and resurrection for forgiveness of sin. It is personal and no one can make that decision for anyone else. If a person denies Jesus, they spend eternity in hell with Satan. If they accept the atonement of Jesus and profess it publicly, they spend eternity in heaven with God. Please get a good study Bible and read it and I pray you accept Jesus as Savior.

I’m not catholic so I don’t see the point, but who would ot hurt? Husband and family will be happy so go for it

Have him baptized because its important to hubby and MIL. and it doesn’t matter to you, when he grows up he will make up his own mind what church or not that he wants.

I was sent to church, when I had children I left it up to them. I’m native & follow traditional beliefs.

I baptized my first 2 children.Then I decided to let them chose I wasn’t really connected with a church anymore.

Let him get baptized. For family unity.

He should get baptized when he understands. Not when he’s a baby. He’s already pure as a baby. Once he’s old enough , he will know in which direction to go if he is taught the bible.

Your choice should not hamper your son’s Baptism. I hope you find that God is our only, refuge.

The subject probably should be about christening or
Baby dedication.
If you are referring
To an child under the age of 3. In my unsolicited
Opinion.

Always think of it as a kiss from God, in this world the kids need all the help they can get

Baptism is a choice for a believer to make. Bring your baby up in Church, let him make the decision.

Don’t make waves in the family. Nothing bad is going to happen to the person being baptized

Both hubby and I are Catholic… But not a practicing Catholic… All of our children were baptized in a Catholic church and first 3 of the 6 made communion.

I think it should be up to the child on what they should want to choose for their religion when they get older

Not if U don’t igknowledge the reason y its making an outward statement to the public of Ur beliefs it’s not something U should do for someone else or to get into the right school ( which some do) it’s sacrid

Just have him dedicated to God he can choose faith later.

Religion blind side people, try to keep him away as much as you can. If one day he chooses religion, it is his choice.

You can go for religious instruction first. That way you’ll have an informed opinion.

Baptism connects us to Jesus Christ, this can be seen in Galatians 3:27 that says, “For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” … It is written in the book of Mark 16:16, “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.”

Yes I just couldn’t remember what it was called. I knew it wasn’t beany baby. See I hav8 forgotten anything I can remember ?

Why don’t you arrange to meet with the minister of the church and talk to them.

Nope! Don’t expose your baby to awful indoctrination.

If it matters to your husband and it does not matter to you why would you not just go with it?

Its not a religion.its a relationship.

It’s hard to tell someone what to do, but read the KJV bible and it will tell you what to do. Phillipians 4:6

If it’s important to your husband study it out in your mind and make an opinion then.

If you’re not religious, why do you feel the need to baptize your child?

If it was the other way around you would insist, regardless of what dad thought. I havent been to church for years. I went for my grandma. She died right after my son was born. I had him baptized in the church we attended together.

8 Likes

Every child needs to be christened as a baby.

If it’s important to your husband I’d do it😇

Yes get your baby baptized

It is the belief that all children are protected by God with or without a baptisim. The issue is are you going to teach your child about religion and give them the opportunity to make that decision or not. In a lot of cultures the parents assign God Parents who teach the children or provide proper educational programs such as the church to assist with the opportunity to help guide the child with learning about Christianity.

Its a silly battle to pick. Baptizing him isnt going to do any harm to him. If he ends up believing in the future then hes good to go. If he ends up believing its something that has to be done with coming of age or commitment then he can get it re-done. If he chooses not to believe then it literally makes no difference. So theres nothing wrong with allowing it to happen.

I think it’s ok to baptize your son. It’s just a symbolic ceremony. I think even though you’re not religious, it’s ok to do it since its very important to your husband and even the MIL Nothing dramatic is going to happen and it will keep the peace in the family. If your son decides later to also follow that religion then he’s already baptized. If he doesn’t, it’s no big deal that he got baptized.

Being baptized does not mean the child is saved

Shit with the way the world is going, even if I didn’t believe in God, which I do, I’d be baptizing my kid for the JIC

Let children grow up to make their own choices. Historically most of the world atrocities were caused by religious people. In the USA, people pretend that the mass genocide of Native Americans wasn’t caused by Christians. South of the border by Catholics. Slavery? Both. Salem which trials? Christians. Spanish Inquisition? Catholics. Presently, lynchings of people of color, Christians. Murders of lgtbq people, Christians. Mass murderers are usually raised Christian. Every racist and homophobia person I’ve met has been Christian.
Religion does not, and has never made anyone a better person.

2 Likes

I never had my kids baptised. I let them grow up and let the decide on there own as to what they wanted to do I myself don’t believe in making your child go to church and going through all that catholic stuff and then when they get older they don’t want to do that anymore so to each his own just my opinion

1 Like

No let him make the decision own his own when he’s ready

Let your son decide.

I was cjristened as a bwby not because my mither was religious bbecause that was what was done, because if your baby was christened and died god would take them to heaven,

To all of my Facebook Friends and Family. Please read my post. Share this post on your timeline for all of your friends and family to read.

This is the most important decision that you will make in your lifetime!!

Here is GOD’S PLAN OF SALVATION:

First, you must accept that you are a sinner. Romans 3:23, “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” No one is perfect. No one has lived up to God’s perfect standard. Romans 3:10, “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one. Second, you must accept that as a sinner you owe a penalty. Romans 6:23, “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” This death is described in the Bible as the second death, the lake of fire.” This is the second death. Revelation 20:14, “And Death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. If we pay what we owe, as sinners, we must spend an eternity in the lake of fire. Third, You must accept that Jesus Christ has already paid our sin debt. Romans 5:6, “For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.” Hebrews 2:9b, “. . .that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.”
Christ was not a sinner, and the Bible teaches that God took all of our sin and placed it on Christ. While Christ was bearing all of our sins in His own body, God punished Him in our place to pay the debt we owe. This is not something God promised to do,. It is something God has already done. Fourth, you must accept by faith what Jesus Christ did for you. Ninety times in the Gospel of John the Bible says, “BELIEVE”. John 3:36, “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life; and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” In this verse, Jesus divides the world into two groups; those who are believing and those who are not believing on the Son. Those who believe have everlasting life, and those who do not believe shall not see everlasting life.
The word “believe” means to trust, to depend upon, and to rely on. To believe on the Lord Jesus Christ means that you accept the fact that you are a sinner, that as a sinner you owe the sin penalty and that Jesus Christ died on the cross to pay the debt that you owe. It means that you will completely trust on Him and have everlasting life. The moment that you trust completely in Jesus Christ, God promises you are not condemned but that you have everlasting life and that you shall never perish in the fire and pits of hell. John 5:24, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
Please pray the sinner’s prayer right now and mean it. Dear Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I deserve to pay my own sin debt. But, I do believe that you died for me to pay the debt that I owe. Today, the best way that I know how, I trust You as my Saviour. I will depend on You from this moment one for my salvation. Now please help me to live for you and to be a good and faithful Christian. Thank you for saving me. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Let my son choose for himself. Exposed him to the one I was raised as…He dislike the traditions. He does keep a Bible in his home.

Baptizing your child will not get him to Heaven.HE MUST ASK JESUS TO COME IN HIS HEART AND SAVE HIM FROM DYING AND GOING TO HELL. THere is a Heaven and Hell.please read… John 3 16

Baptizing should be done when a child (or adult) is old enough to decide if he feels led to do so. (In my own opinion/beliefs). That said, everyone does it differently, and maybe you should talk to all three of them together to talk about it, as to most Christians,it is a huge deal, and really should be up to the Individual, and not done out of pressure to perform, or conform.

1 Like

does your son WANT to be baptized and does he understand what it means? we arent saved by being baptized. its a proclamation in front of your church family that you will live your life for God.

Baptize him now then when he is older he can make his own choice what he wants to follow

It makes for a healthy childhood.

I would baptize your son. It’s important to your husband.
All my kids are baptized. I was brought up in a home where church every weekend etc.
When I hit high school I stopped being so involved in the church and it’s activities. my kids went every so often with other family members to mass .
My kids have asked me about religion , my thought and beliefs. I’ve told them it’s their choice as to what they believe , what religion they follow and what they feel comfortable with.

Most protestant faiths (non catholic) don’t believe in infant baptism because choosing to follow Christ needs to be a conscious choice you make … not one that’s made for you. Baptism is only a public display to show an inward change and choice. Baptism in itself does not save…its an outward display to represent that you’ve given your life to Jesus and therefore are saved…
I was baptized at 19.

1 Like

Just go for it. Make the MIL happy and new dad too.

LeT Your Child Choose For Themselves

None of my 4 girls are baptized, 40, 36, 31and 28. We decided they they can make their own decisions, when they were little. I was Church of England, and my husband was raised Catholic.

5 Likes

You do what you and the dad agree on. Who gives a crap what the MIL wants. Not her kid. If you Teo can’t come to to agreement then nothing gets done. Simple.

Ywa no lol that’s a horrible reason to do anything… the mil feelings aren’t her dil responsibility.