Should I call CPS on the family I babysit for?

Go to the emergency room and don’t think about you. The baby is clearly suffering and I think in your heart you know you need to get him help ASAP.

3 Likes

Yes, take to ER they’ll get ahold of the correct people. If you just call CPS they don’t normally do anything right away.

1 Like

I don’t know what state your in but for a parent smoking around there child and smoking Marijuana, good luck getting CPS to do anything. And I say this from experience, but again it maybe different in another state. If I were you and your truly concern (obviously) I’d take the child to the ER and go from there. Explain everything to them and then they can even determine to get CPS involved, that’s how it is here, it maybe different where you are but if the child is struggling to breath I’d definitely take him to an ER

Take him to er as a babysitter u noticed his breathing is bad and seems to be getting worse so u brought him in i wouldnt give no extra info because if u do u might be cut out the picture n seems to me ur place the safe place i wouldnt risk that but i would take to er n say u think something wrong with his breathing

4 Likes

Lol also have you checked to see if they have covid or not first?!?!?!

2 Likes

If you can safely avoid getting the foster system involved that’s the best situation obviously. Have a very very honest conversation with Mom about the things listed here. (If you call CPS you’re probably going to lose your job anyway so why not give it a shot?) If that doesn’t go well I would give them a call.

2 Likes

Maybe just call an ambulance one time when he’s with you and inform the mom that his breathing is super bad that way your not reporting her and also not really give her the chance to tell you no to helping then they can properly diagnose and prescribe what’s needed and you can still monitor him, he could possibly be sick and she’s not to concered(even tho she clearly should be) sometimes people are very under reactive

1 Like

I would take the baby to the hospital and let mom know his wheezing has gotten worse. Don’t break the moms trust, the baby being with you sounds like a safe place and I would try everything to make sure he’s able to keep being with you so you know he is safe. The doctors will call cps, let them take the blame not you

3 Likes

Talk to her and see if she needs help with anything. Offer to help the child out.

If she won’t allow you to take him to the doctor yourself where you can report your concerns and observations then I second calling 911 when you hear him wheezing in your care and report the issues to them and to the ER physician. They are obligated to contact child services. Doing nothing only hurts this child more and clearly his mother can’t or won’t do what’s best for him on her own. Be his voice and advocate. Help him. Report only your observations not any speculations or assumptions.

2 Likes

Maybe reach out to her again and try to get the info you need to make an appointment and take him yourself or tell her he needs to go ASAP and you’ll take them to the dr when she comes to pick him up, hopefully she will let you and once the Drs explain to her the seriousness of his condition maybe she will open her eyes and stop smoking around him, it may also be a cold or RSV or Covid etc, if she insists on going to the Dr again then tell her he really needs to go so you’re taking him to the emergency room, if she tries to stop you or if all else fails then make the call. But I would reach out more first you never know what she’s going through being a single new mom and since you’re babysitting I’m assuming she has a job and is trying.

Take him in , if they think cps should be involved they will get involved

1 Like

I ain’t make it past the first 2 sentences. The first thing that came to mind is “YOU NEED TO MIND YOUR BUSINESS” the second thing that came to mind “SHE NEED TO FIRE YOUR ASS” you are a baby sitter not case worker mam… you aren’t a step parent, nor parent of this child just do what she is paying you to do or better yet FIND A NEW KID TO BABYSIT :woman_facepalming:t4: shit is ridiculous, then got the nerves to come on here like “should I call CPS” that’s somebody’s child

ya dont and cant play when it comes to little ones like that please report it

I would say take him to the drs while in ur care most states will NOT take a child away for marijuana but it sounds like she needs help maybe show her how to be a better mom instead of instantly trying to jump to conclusions and call dcf which will be way worse for the baby the system unfortunately is not designed to help the child with the emotional damage it actually does to the child there has to be a better answer

1 Like

Mind yo business she could be depressed or something. Taking a child from the mother isn’t the right answer. If she’s not beating him or abusing him then why call child services. She could be under a lot of stress being a single mom. :unamused:

14 Likes

Unfortunately, without consent from the parents, you can not seek medical attention. You can make him feel safe and loved though. Give him baths, provide clean cloths, and a safe environment. As long as child seat isn’t broken, it doesn’t matter if it’s a few years old. That’s the least of the worries. I’d leave CPS out of it for now. Trust me, worked as a CPS worker for 7 yrs. once they are in the system, it’s hard for them to get out. And not all situations are better than he’s in now. Thank u for being there for him

4 Likes

I would take him to the ER, that will get him help and they’ll be obligated to call the authorities. Also on the cars eat you can talk to your local police or fire station and ask for a new one, they typically have them from donations to provide when families can’t afford one. Thank you for caring.

1 Like

RSV season and that could possible be it, plus if she’s smoking around baby could be another factor on top of the RSV

1 Like

I would personally take him to the docs to get checked over. Explain to the mum his breathing is bad and that she can meet u there. And then leave it up to the hospital decide

1 Like

Call them!! That’s their job to help. Sounds like she could use some parenting classes.

Continue to help her. Give her guidance always express concerns to the parent. She sounds young and like she just needs a little help. A little guidance. Sometimes things aren’t as bad as they look or what they seem. Help her. Guide her. Go with her. Talk to her as a friend. She clearly has no one guiding her and doesn’t realize the risk or she wouldn’t be doing it. Again she sounds like a young mom struggling. Help her to be better.

3 Likes

Sorry but you guys are all too much. I get it he’s a baby but try talking seriously to the mom before you go trying to get her kids taken from her. If after that you see she’s not doing her job as a mother then take him to the er. Calling cps is most likely gonna make it so you don’t get to see him anymore either so then you’ll have no idea what’s going on with him. Always better to deal with a mom mother to mother before doing something huge like that. You watch her child she trusts you and to trust a person with your child is huge don’t betray that trust. Anyone who thinks calling cps right away had clearly never dealt with them they should always be last resort. Not too mention you don’t know her story

1 Like

The amount of people saying to talk to the mother and give her a chance WOW!!!

Personally take him in the er say your the babysitter. I wouldn’t want my baby to be. Also cps may help her figure her shit out. They do help families.

You will get faster results taking him to the er and explaining the situation. They will take it from there and the baby will get the help he needs. If you call cps you will be waiting forever. He needs help now​:pray::pray::pray:

3 Likes

Omg I’m praying for you :broken_heart: you are that babies only chance apparently :frowning:

“SmOkInG aRoUnD bAbIeS iSn’t IlLeGaL!” No, but medical neglect is and it sounds like he is being neglected in various ways at home, and his home, I almost guarantee you, is filthy.

5 Likes

You already know the answer…

Ppl gotta be really careful who they pay for help! So before u assist a woman and child that you see is single & clearly need help u would consider getting her child taken? He not being abused he is around smoke! U don’t see her mistreating him or starving him u smell smoke in her vehicle!! This a so sad! I smoke in my vehicle not in my house & the thought of somebody smelling smoke and assuming I smoke around my kids bc of that really saddens me! If she work maybe she be too tired to bring him to the doctor when she get off so she is trying to treat him herself! He not having fever or anything so tell her she can get a vicks humidifier! If she a 1st time parent she may not know! It takes a village to raise a child and what goes around comes around u better believe that

6 Likes

Taking him to the hospital is one thing calling CPS is another. Babies get sick even when their parents have money and don’t smoke. I would ask her if she needs help with any needs for her or her child and help her through her hard time. You have no idea what she’s really going through.

4 Likes

When he is in your care call her and tell her the baby is getting worse with his breathing you tell her you are taking the baby to the hospital if she doesn’t sho up dccp is called. The hospital will reach out to mom . You are doing what is the best interest of the child. This all comes back to me when I was taking care of two kids the younger one he was about 2 years old and the night before I came supposedly he was on the chair and hit his head on the side of the computer desk. No one told me the next morning he was sick and vomiting. I called the father he told me if I want I can take him to the dr’s. I took him to the dr’s , doctor told me to get him to the hospital right away and that he was calling the hospital. I called the father and he ordered me not to go so I called the father’s parents and I told them what he said they told me to go to the hospital and that they will meet me there for them to give consent to treat. Go to the hospital the dr’s called the father and he said he was on his way he was a no show and dyfs was called. That is the day I quit my job. The child had a concussion, and had bleeding on the brain. I did child care for a very long time and I never had a boss that treated there child that way. Remember you are the baby’s voice make sure you do what’s right.

1 Like

NOT Your Baby. You cannot take this child in without parental permission. Your self righteousness will cause so much trouble for this mom and her children. Get off your drama and judgement wagon.

19 Likes

If you take him to ER and explain your concerns about the breathing and mention that you believe the mother smokes (cigarettes and possibly pot)around the child , they will call as they are legally obligated to in cases where children are at risk. If the mom comes at you, you say you just took the child for his breathing issues. Good luck

Take a baby to be seen

You have a duty of care when babysitting

Just explain your babysitting and got concerned nothing else needs saying

Speak to the mom after and lay down facts

These are your concerns

This is what you suggest

Or you have to report

2 Likes

Don’t call cps for just weed. I got my kids taken (before I gave them up for adoption )because I was suicidal and I had weed in my system (Texas is strict on weed, I get it it’s illegal but I have horrible anxiety and was un medicated) and losing them sent me over the edge. So I went into harder drugs. (TWO YEARS CLEAN)Try to offer help but please don’t take that child away from her if anything that child is probably the last thing holding her together. Cps like to keep families apart. I grew up in the system and most of them don’t give a f*** about parents or kids.

1 Like

Find out if baby has a regular Pediatrician. Call that office to see if a note from the mom will suffice for you to bring him in for visit and exam. The Dr will know of his asthma diagnosis and it’s flare up. Smoking in an enclosed space with a known asthmatic is considered abuse . I did read a court case where the child was removed from the home. You could then call DCFS and report or discuss with Dr if they want to make the call. Asthma is indeed life threatening.

Cps is not the way to go they can and will turn her world up side down and maybe never give her child back it will do more harm then good talk to her to see if she needs anyhelp getting things but see want she needs help with she maybe a 1 time mom and doint know want she is doing

3 Likes

I think you already know the Answer .

3 Likes

You can take him to the ER, when you get there (after you explain the situation to the hospital), call her, tell her it got worse and it’s an emergency. Tell her where to meet you and let the trained professionals sort it out. You at that point did what was best for baby.

14 Likes

Neglect… or ER since you’re caring for child…

Awe first time moms have it the worse…

1 Like

I WOULD SAY PLEASE NO DO NOT CALL THOSE PEOPLE…THEY SPECIALIZE IN SEPARATION OF FAMILIES…
I Agree with the lady who commented that You could take the baby to the ER as a new caretaker (babysitter) …just as a precaution to check his breathing and do not give any EXTRA info

11 Likes

How can you not do something. Prayers for the child

2 Likes

Stop telling this girl to call cps on a mother who CLEARLY needs support. She stated in the post that the mother has no idea what shes doing, have none of you heard that saying “it takes a village to raise a child?”

It sounds to me like this mother in question does not have a good support system. I understand the childs health is at risk but stop jumping the gun here. Like many have said, none of us know the back story.

To the OP, offer your help and not your judgment. I know you said you’re not judging but you clearly are, shes a new mom and might just need a mom friend to offer her guidance. Im sure when you first had your kids you had a plenty of questions and concerns like the rest of us. If nothing changes in a few weeks, THEN and only then should you take these steps.

17 Likes

I would call DCS. As a social worker I advise it. But you need to provide plenty of details. The more detail the higher its placed on the list. The fact he’s not being well taken care of and dressed isn’t okay. And many times if he’s taken into custody they provide help for mom to get the help she needs to through other cps branch programs. But if you feel iffy maybe sit down mom and ask with no judgements and let her know your concern to at least take him to a Dr. If she maybe struggling financially too look for programs that can help. Just do what feels right.

4 Likes

Yo just because someone calls cps doesn’t mean they want your kids taken. The pot isn’t much anymore. That’s not the issue. Baby needs medical attention. Then talk to her and tell her she needs to get her shit together. I know what it’s like my ex in laws amd ex husband turned me in for lies just cause he is suppose to pay child support and he doesn’t want to now that that failed he wants a paternity test.

What part of the baby is struggling to breath are y’all not understanding?!? Everything else aside, he needs to be seen. Offer to take mom and baby!!

6 Likes

Personally I’d have a sit down talk with the mother and express your concerns. And tell her that he is really sick and needs to be seen…if she refuses or does not take your concerns into consideration then I would contact cps. As for those saying “don’t call cps and get her kids removed, etc” …kids DIE because their parents neglect to take care of them the proper way. IF she is a good mother and it goes unfounded, then CPS will not take her children away. If a child gets removed from a home, 9/10 there was a good reason behind it.

Please call CPS. It is illegal to smoke weed around your baby! The baby’s health is in danger! Protect him!

His heart is working hard when he can’t breath tell her he needs to go and you can go with her if she wants you to. Poor baby

Can I just say, a shitty parent is a shitty parent, don’t have anything to do with smoking bud.

Take him to the er and contact CPS cause if you dont and they do get involved and find out you didn’t report they can and will get you on negligence and risk your child

Wild it’s actually illegal here if you smoke with anyone underage in the car :upside_down_face: but Jesus it’s not hard to pull over to smoke or just wait until you get where you need to go. I would call cps honestly she doesn’t give a shit.

Is she honestly clueless on how to raise the baby? Is she apathetic towards the baby?

If you feel the boy needs medical help take him to the emergency room when in your care, if they feel the mother needs to be investigated let the Dr’s make that call! Stay out of it people can get themselves in trouble without other not minding their own business! She’s really done nothing wrong and I hope she fires your punk ass!!!

Calling Dcf or cps should never cross someone’s mind. You seriously want to rip a child away from the only family they know just because you have a concern. Yes you should offer to take the child to the doctor. Call cps NO

7 Likes

You need to make a hard decision, the best decision for that baby is for you to call child protective services. Too many people saying that should be a last resort, it should not be. It doesn’t mean that the child will be automatically taken away. Reporting this situation is the best thing to do. You may be saving his life.

2 Likes

If all you say is true it is your responsibilty moraley to report the situation to the proper authorities!!!

1 Like

if his breathing is that bad i’m taking him to a pediatric er & lettin then contact who they need to contact meanwhile gettin the child medical care that he needs.

1 Like

I would take him to the ER and they can call CPS if they feel the situation is bad enough. That way it doesn’t come back to you, and you can still be involved if it’s not bad enough!

1 Like

If you have tried talking to her and she hasn’t stopped smoking around him then nothing a doctor can do will help if he’s continued to be put in that situation. I would call DHS

This is a hard situation to be in, and its clear the poster is a caring person… however… child services seems a bit harsh, speak to the mother face 2 face before taking such extreme measures … that way you will gain understanding and may form a friendship instead of making a single mum feel victimised. Hope this helps

1 Like

you could take him to your local fire dept and ask there 1st responders or emts to take a listen to him and see what they suggest

Don’t call DCS!! People go through rough patches and she’s probably having problems right now especially if that father ain’t around. If you call DCS and get her kid taken away it will make her worse off I promise you that just tell her you think the baby may have asthma and if she doesn’t do something soon about it then you will have to take him to the ER

2 Likes

I would not allow a sick child to come to my home. Let her know you’ll welcome him back after a doctor’s note saying he’s not contagious :mask:

13 Likes

Also i don’t know how it works where you are.
But honestly, if i took my son to ER over wheezing, I’d be hugely judged.
Could easily be delt with my your local doctor.
AND!!
IF SHE SMOKES IN THE CAR WITHOUT HER CHILD IN IT!!
IT’S KNOWONES BUSINESS.
some people on here are really judging towards someone who could be struggling

5 Likes

I’d take to the mom and if she isn’t willing to take him offer if she says no tell her you can no longer watch the child due to you being uncomfortable about this health

You need to confront the mother in a matter of fact way. Explain to her that her child may have asthma because you know the signs first hand. Sit her down and try to talk it out before getting CPS involved. If she doesnt make a change then explore other options. You could definitely take him to the doctor while he’s in your care and tell the mother it became an emergency situation you had no other option as well just to have him checked out and give him some relief. Poor baby

1 Like

Do you have to get the baby to the doctor the baby could die

Tell the mom u need his insurance card and that youll take him to the dr while shes working or whatever why ever you watch him. If she refuses then take him to the er

2 Likes

I would talk to the mother first . Like a real sit down chat about your concerns . After that see what happens . If things do not improve and he is still sick , call somebody

1 Like

If you are a child care provider and they are being neglected or abused you are a MANDATED REPORTER it has to be reported or you are just as guilty

5 Likes

Baby could have RSV does need to get checked out asap

2 Likes

Take him in if she’s refusing to. I babysit my nephews and a friend’s kid and if they need to go in I take them. My friends kid and I wiped out on the ice in our parking lot and he hit his head. All I gave then was his first and last name and his address I didn’t have a Healthcard to give

So she shouldn’t do anything dor this chikd because while family services this mom needs help but isn’t getting it nor raking care of her child I’m not judging her but her child isn’t safe right now with her doesn’t mean he can’t be one day but right now something had to happen what if this child passes under her watch then what no one has given her the horror of how that will affect her her child and the mother also what if the mother tried to hold her responsible for the child’s death since she’s the babysitter… there is no easy way to handle this situation but the child safety is most important andnif mother loves and cares for her child at all she would be taking her child to the doctor not neglecting the responsibility whether she’s sturrgling or not the child doesn’t deserve to not be taken care of with his minimal needs being met and they are not.

I can’t imagine what you would feel like if something bad should happen to the child if you didn’t call someone.

2 Likes

Idk what kind of programs you have where you are at but in my area they have baby pantry’s where you can get free help monthly like diapers wipes formula and even car seats that are safe so that may be something to look into for that area, and I agree with everyone else if you have to go to a hospital explain concerns and the breathing then call the mom and say hey meet me here something is wrong it’s worse and just act like you’re on her side so it’s not like an attack on her

I’m just here to say I’ve had DCF called on me (by a petty ex friend) they are NOT family destroyers.
They came to our home talked to us, drug tested us, talked to our kids offered us free childcare, foodstamps, medicaid. I’ve heard so many bad things about them but only experienced good. DCF is there to help babys and children. They just want the parents to actually take care of the kids and if she’s not They will show her how.
If you feel this child is being neglected call and if she’s not, there will be no repercussions and if she is neglecting him they will know, take her into counseling etc… prayers for the little one!

5 Likes

Plz dont call CPS. Just help her! Guide her.

1 Like

If you suspect a child is in physical danger and you do NOTHING then you can be held responsible. The welfare of the child is what’s important. How you go about getting the child help is up to you. Maybe reach out to one of her family members first.

All this conversation and the baby is still having trouble breathing . I hope someone takes this kid to the dr soon

2 Likes

It’s not your position. This is tooooo much. You have no idea what you would do taking the baby from it’s mom based on speculation. Maybe you shouldn’t baby sit anymore

5 Likes

Can you take the baby to the ER? Just tell them everything you just told us. It may not feel like it but as a concerned citizen and his caregiver it’s your duty to protect him. If you saw a baby in a hot car alone would you just walk away or would you notify someone and even try to get them out? If he goes home with mom and is already struggling to breathe then whose to say he won’t stop breathing in his sleep. It’s a hard thing to do but the right thing. Pray for the mom. I’ll be praying for all involved.

3 Likes

Do the right thing by that baby. Poor soul :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Help HIM BY HELPING HER, if possible. If not, HELP the HELPLESS

1 Like

Marijuana wont hurt that baby. Its pretty sad shes smoking it around him. Bc of second hand smoke but thats not the reason he can’t breathe. Most likely covid related in kids it usually is just cough or bad breathing

2 Likes

You have a responsibility to this child! He is in your care, he is wheezing and uncomfortable. I wouldn’t call CPs because I don’t trust them but I would definitely take him to the ER and have him checked out. They can get in contact with the mother or you can call her on your way to the hospital. I feel the mother needs counseling and help with her child. Even though she might not be taking care of him properly she can still learn how to. A child being taken away is not always the best solution but the child needs medical attention

3 Likes

I would take him into the er while i had him. And if they need a consent they can call her or she has no choice but to show up there. And she may not know she should upgrade his seat . Take it to your local fire dept.
and im glad you came here to ask everyones opinion instead of just calling cps they are worthless for this situation. And i think this young mother needs yoir help and guidence . Sounds like she has no one. God must of put you in her and her boys path for a reason . Help her understand . Good luck keep us posted and ask for help with it all. We as a community can help you help her

3 Likes
  1. no, you should not take him to the doctor, that’s borderline illegal (you aren’t a legal guardian, you can’t legally seek medical care for this child) However if you feel as if he’s having a respiratory distress — asthma attack while in your care, you can call 911. As far as calling DCFS, I would have to tell the parent that some lifestyle changes need to be made. Find out where parenting classes are offered (they are mostly free) and give her the information, offer to watch the child while she attends.
1 Like

Noooooo mind your buisness don’t call cps. Offer to take to the doctor or tell mom he sounds sick to take him to doctor…its just weed not meth or anything that’s actually a drug… the kid will survive I promise.

1 Like

Are you a licensed daycare provider if so by law you’re a mandatory reporter n if u don’t call you could get in trouble n possibly lose your license if you’re a licensed daycare provider. If you’re not a licensed daycare provider then u need to make that decision on whether or not to call… also from what you’re describing is neglect from the mother as in him being smelly, barely any clothes, and not taking him to the doctor. The smoking n marijuana usage most cps workers won’t do anything and will just tell her not to and will tell her to get an updated car seat

5 Likes

Child’s well being comes first. Meaning his health and caring. If mom can’t do that for him, that’s neglect on her part. Your a good woman for taking care of him and his needs. But I would definitely be making that call, and I would be asking (if I were you) if I could take the child because the child knows you, and feels safe with you. And the mother needs to know that it’s neglect, and that she will get the proper help if she seeks it. :heart: and offer her resources if u can. Sometimes single mothers go through a lot being the only caregiver, but it gives no excuse in her behaviour for her own child. Mother and child need that extra push, so she doesn’t lose her child to the system as well. Sit and talk to her.

I tried commenting and accidentally wrote a whole paragraph on another post :joy: so here’s my screenshot lol

3 Likes

Your a mandated reporter

Also u do understand the kid will go in the system and be much worse off

6 Likes

She says she don’t know what she’s doing but she should know about second hand smoke of any kind and it’s danger. So that’s no excuse for causing her child danger. I’d first start with asking the mom for info to take the child to see a dr while under my care I’d take him. If she’s doesn’t except that help then yes I’d have to call and report it as child neglect and endangerment. I work in pediatrics and it’s not good at all when they can’t breath well.

2 Likes

She may not have money for a doctor…
And if you’re considering calling cps, you are most definitely making a judgement against her. Not saying you’re in the right or the wrong… Just saying that saying this like “I’m not judging, but…” And then making a judgemental comment doesn’t make it better.

Cps isn’t helpful in the least. Maybe sit down with her and have a talk first, and actually make a conscious effort to actually NOT be judgemental while doing so

6 Likes

I would just take him to the doctor! But I wouldn’t call cps over weed! A lot of states are allowed to smoke it! You don’t know where they came from. What if she left an abusive relationship and barely got away and stressed out trying to make it. You never know someone’s situation at all. I understand taking care of the child everyone don’t buy new baby clothes or can afford it. Specially the way the last year has been with covid. I would just take him to the doctor myself and show her the paperwork. I would tell her hey if you can’t take him I am bottom line. Cps don’t care about these kids fr they only care about a grant check! Kentucky don’t at least at ALL! There is so many fraud cases here! I’d understand if it was meth or something absolutely do something.

4 Likes

As a childcare provider you are obligated by law to report abuse. Besides obvious neglect, it’s illegal to smoke in a car with a minor. Because guess what if something happens to that kid they’ll come asking YOU why you didn’t do anything and they’d be right.

14 Likes