Should I call CPS on the family I babysit for?

So I recently just started babysitting a 1 year old…the mom just moved here and I’m not sure where the dad is. I noticed when I was watching him he was wheezing the first day…I told his mom that she should take him to the doctor and that if she couldn’t then I could help out and take him myself. She said that she smokes around him in the car, house etc. she said she has “stopped” but when I took him to the car I smelt the smoke and I also smelled marijuana and also seen a pipe. She said she doesn’t know what she’s doing and I really don’t care what she does by herself but this has affected her child possibly in a long term way. The baby comes here smelly, has barley any clothes, his car seat is out of date like a few years (it’s not safe) I’m not judging her by any means and at this point, I feel like I’m buying him things already for when he comes to my house so that way he can feel clean, safe, and be a happy baby when he’s here. I watched the baby again today and the breathing is worse and I have no idea what to do for him or if I’m even allowed to take him to the doctor myself. Myself and my child has asthma so I know what it feels like to not be able to breathe and he’s doing this everyday with no help because his mom won’t take him to the doctor.
  1. Should I try to get info from her to take him myself 2. Should I call DCS and get someone involved because she’s clearly spending money for her addictions and not on her baby 3. Should I just stop watching him and let him suffer?
    He’s helpless and I want to do whatever I can for this baby while I can…or if I can.
645 Likes

Take him to the emergency room, they get him help for his breathing and also do a report themselves to involve CPS.

Speaking as someone who is a mandated reporter for my state. You can go online and look up your stated guideline for abuse and neglect and make the decision based off that information.

I have been through this with my step child. Mothers home has active inside smokers in the home and someone always intoxicated watching him. We have done wellness checks, etc. But smoking cigs inside a home isn’t illegal here. Check your states laws on what you are claiming is happening. Unfortunately cps won’t get you very far with this. Tell her you are worried for him and need to take him to the ER. He could have allergies being that the breathing like that has been going on for days like that. I am a nurse and I work for the state as a DFCS caseworker.

Take him to the ER right away.
Get him medical help, from there the doctors will call CPS if they need to.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should I call CPS on the family I babysit for? - Mamas Uncut

You are obligated to do something.

6 Likes

Just call 911 while the child is in ur care. Emergency situation is deff not a waiting game

11 Likes

I personally would ask her if I could have info to take him to the doctor. Explain the situation to the doctor and they will do something about it.

9 Likes

Untreated asthma can kill you if he has an attack. If she’s doing all that. She is not doing right by that boy. So yes call. Take him to the ER so he can get an inhaler. they are also mandated reporters I believe. You are the only hope he has right now.

12 Likes

If you have tried to express your concerns to mom with nothing then I would personally call you can’t let the baby suffer,

7 Likes

If his health is a cause for concern and hasn’t gotten better i would deff make an anonymous report to cps. You not doing anything is making you a bad person too.

3 Likes

Yes! Don’t stop babysitting him though because you could be the only one that notices the neglect on him. Be the person that looks out for him since his own parent doesn’t.

17 Likes

In some states you would be required to report it as a child care person. The child’s best interest takes precedence over anything else

6 Likes

Report it. You can also call an ambulance for his breathing, although you’re not the parent, they can’t deny him care in an emergency.

9 Likes

I’d call, that poor baby! If the momma doesn’t see any wrong with her actions why let the baby suffer with her. I’ve never called cps on anyone, but if I wouldn’t let my kid live a life like that then I would call.

Call CPS and get that poor baby some help.

As long as she’s not doing any hard core drugs :thinking: why don’t you be her friend and try to guide her to be a good or better parent .

34 Likes

Take him to the er and explain the situation, they’ll get a caseworker involved.

2 Likes

I would take him to er ans explain the situation to them and try to get him seen

Call 911. Tell them he’s having trouble breathing. Then let them handle it. She can’t get mad for you being scared he can’t breathe and if she does oh well.

8 Likes

Contact someone. They can look into it.

I’d either call or call 911 when he’s there if it’s bad, breathing is kind of important thing. Child services would probably be best though, they can give her resources and the help she’s needing to care for him they way she needs to

3 Likes

Honestly I would make the call as a seasoned mom of three and a seasoned babysitter this is a hard call. But you have to make it. It’s for the baby’s health

The baby doesn’t have a voice. If you notice these things YOU NEED TO BE HIS VOICE

4 Likes

My daycare will report stuff while child is in their care so i would at least take him to the ER and explain the situation

2 Likes

Take him to the er they will handle the situation

1 Like
  1. She just moved so she probably doesn’t have insurance nor a Dr.
  2. He is not being physically abused
  3. She has a job so she is working to get that stuff
  4. There is nothing wrong with smoking weed as a parent
  5. U will be the biggest piece of shit if u call CPS on her

I’ve never been a fan but in this situation I would however you’ll probably never see the kid again

Also make sure you’re documenting these things. Take him to ER and they’ll take care of the rest.

1 Like

Yes!!! I would definitely call asap

Call. They will give her support services, get the kiddo to the doctor for medical attention. If she doesnt know he has asthma etc, is ignoring the problem then this is considered medical neglect. Report!

don’t stop! The second you stop something could happen to that baby and don’t call DCS because you never know what that mothers really going through despite her drug use! I would take that baby in and say moms at work your baby sitting and concerned about his breathing I don’t think theyl turn away a kid that needs help depends on what state your in.

3 Likes

But a faster response would be take the baby to the ER

4 Likes

Call an ambulance, explain you’ve been taking care of him. You have talked to the mother and she has completely ignored it. Also please DO NOT stop babysitting him. You might actually be his only advocate, especially if it seems like he has no other family.

17 Likes

CPS is a joke. They let children stay with shitty innadequate drug addict parents literally EVERY day. The child’s best interest is never top priority as it should be.

My childminder made me aware from the first day she looked after my daughter that if she thought or felt that my child was not being looked after or she had any concerns for her safety that it was her duty to do something even if that meant alerting the authorities.

3 Likes

Is call 911. Have them listen in and they can call cps as well. If she cared she would meet you at the hospital. It goes to show that you care by getting the baby help.

If you are a childcare provider the state considers you to be a mandated reporter, if something happens to the baby because you did not take action, you can also be held negligent for not reporting. I say report the situation and if nothing comes of it you did the right thing by the baby. And if something comes of it, you still did the right thing by the baby!

6 Likes

Def call someone. That poor baby

I would try and talk her into letting you help him. And just remember you have no rights over the child you call and your never gonna see the baby again to continue helping it.

9 Likes

You have to make the call Hun. You are at just as much fault if something awful happens to him because you knew about it and didn’t do anything.

Take him the the ER yourself without mum being aware and tell them what’s going on

3 Likes

Omg absolutely right now!

Foster parents abuse the system as well and take kids just to get a check and don’t care for them as they should be cared for. It’s a joke.

5 Likes

Yes I would do something about it maybe ask her first to take the child but even if he does end up being diagnosed with asthma then going by what you’ve said she might not even give him his enhaler when he needs it to help him breath if he’s coming to your house in that state she clearly doesn’t care about the child’s needs I would not sit back and let the child suffer please do something and can I just say thankyou for being selfless and caring for him :pleading_face::heart: x

1 Like

Call Dr call dhs call cps

Do you have children? Calling CPS is a traumatic experience for children. Unless the child is in actual danger, which doesn’t sound like it, you should help and leave CPS out of it.

35 Likes

I would try to help her. Maybe she really doesn’t know how to be a mom.

18 Likes

I think the most legal thing you can do is report it to dhs/cps. If say you can be anonymous but since you voiced your concerns I can see this mom knowing who reported it and will actually keep her child from you. But it needs to be done. This child health is on the line. I think that’s the best option as dhs can direct her with resources in case the child needs Healthcare insurance. But if there is a moment you think its too bad while in your care I would definitely take the child to the ER. The doctors are mandatory reporters too.

1 Like

Reporting to child services is just step one. If you are doing it in good faith because you think that this child is in real danger and harm, then do it. Children do not have a voice. We are their voice. She doesn’t have to know it was you. It’s anonymous. You will know you did everything for the kid.
If you can mentally handle babysitting the kid with the neglect then do it, you are the kids safety net. If it becomes to hard, then you need to do what’s healthy for you.

I’d take him to the ER

If the mum is suffering mentally, the last thing you want to do is possible have her child taken away from her.
If she needs the help, try to encourage that! Maybe offer to spend time with her aswell as the baby.
The reality is she probably knows what’s going on, and is embarrassed, the last thing she’ll need is people rubbing it in she’s struggling!

24 Likes

First let’s help baby AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Take him to the ER-Now if you can and like everyone else suggested…let them know the situation so they can get a caseworker involved.

1 Like
  1. Should I try to get info from her to take him myself - NO YOU SHOULDNT IT ISNT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY 2. Should I call DCS and get someone involved because she’s clearly spending money for her addictions and not on her baby - YOU DONT KNOW HER STRUGGLES AND YOU CAN REPORT HOW THE CHILD IS BUT YOU CANNOT GO INTO WHY HE IS THAT WAY YOU DONT KNOW HER ADDICTIONS AND YOU CANNOT ASSUME ANYTHING JUST BY SMELLS AND SEEING A PIPE! YOU REPORT THE CHILD PERIOD THAT IS IT! IT IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY TO INVESTIGATE THE TRUE ISSUE 3. Should I just stop watching him and let him suffer? NO YOU HAVE A HEART OR YOU WOULDNT HAVE THIS

okay… so message her in text have it written you expressing your concerns then report this as you are concerned with his breathing etc your the care taker and you’ve messaged and inquired but this is the reason you were given for nothing being done. Do not jump the gun and blast this mom she maybe just is going through something in life and struggling mentally there is ways to get the situation help with out throwing her under an 18 wheeler!

8 Likes

I would talk to her snd point these things out . She is lost and it’s sad.

4 Likes

Call an ambulance and have them come check him out

4 Likes

You’re a advocate for any child in your care. So speak up and stand up for him. I don’t personally care about smoking pot. But it sounds like she’s having it in the car and driving. And then also with him in the car I’m pretty sure it’s illegal so smoke. Id definitely call and speak up for him. Especially since he is a month old and having problems it’s just going to get worse.

2 Likes

I personally would take him in to the ER. Even if they can’t do anything until the mom gets there nurses and dr’s are mandatory reporters so if they even slightly suspect that the child isn’t being cared for then they’ll report it to DCFS. You also have a chance to voice your concerns to a nurse before the mom gets there. Let them be the bad guys most times they will not care

36 Likes

Option 1. If 1 is disregarded then option 2 is an absolute must. Please never consider option 3.

The youth need us!!! :blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

1 Like

I don’t believe CPS has any good intentions for the child or parents. It is a multi million dollar business and industry that ties families up in the court system for YEARS! I say if you truly care have a talk with the parents. Buy literature for them. Help them learn or show them support. No one came into this world with a manual on how to be parents and some people are only going on the experience they have had with their own parents. But if we help people instead of calling CPS on someone then we can help change the world and system that fails families daily.

22 Likes

I’ve had many kids in my care because of there drug addicted parents. I would buy them everything and watch them for free just so I knew they were safe. Not right but I’ve seen dcp do nothing and then the kids taken from me where I don’t know if there safe anymore.

4 Likes

Maybe you should try to have her make an appointment and you can bring him to the appointment. Some kids just have allergies. Mine did and they’ve both been on allergy meds since 1 years old. But to call cps, id drag a bitch and you’ll be lucky if you ever see him again

Personally I’d report it as you are there child minder you have a duty of care and could held responsible if you don’t report it.
Better to be safe than sorry :slightly_smiling_face:

Take him to the ER immediately and they can help you / work with you to get you in touch with CPS if needed

2 Likes

Take him to the ER and tell them what’s going on cps will be called from there probably!

1 Like

Always report any suspicion of child abuse or neglect.

2 Likes

Oh girl. Sit down with mom and ten her you are really worried for baby and you want to help her

6 Likes

Take that baby to the ER and tell them what you posted here.They should by law contact CPS and the baby will get medical care.This should not have to be your responsibility,it should be the moms.She apparently has a problem but the baby should not have to suffer.If the baby should die in your care because of her neglect there could still be an investigation on you.If you have that baby right now,don’t wait another minute,take him to the ER.

Don’t leave and let the baby suffer. It doesn’t have a voice. You do.

2 Likes

Inwoukd talk to her … why get CPS involved the family they place him with could be way more harmful … there is nothing wrong with smoking weed or cigs… I agree with u … she shouldn’t be doing around the baby’ … u don’t know what she has been through and she need a way to relax it’s better then being drunk . Just ask her how u can help her instead of getting CPS involved right now … maybe offer some classes on parenting or help her find financial help as well she is a single mom I’m sure it’s. Hard

4 Likes

I would call if it were me.

I’d say hey, little man was really struggling to breathe here with me so I took him to the ER to make sure he has good oxygen circulation. We’re at this hospital.

13 Likes

That’s a tough call. The baby will also suffer psychologically and emotionally if removed from the mother. She sounds like she needs support and help. I’m guessing you have signed paperwork for an emergency so if you do take the baby to the emergency room or urgent care. Technically it can be considered medical neglect on her behalf.

4 Likes

Take him in, if they have concerns they’ll involve #2.

2 Likes

See something. Do something.

5 Likes

So the sad part is CPS and their system really sucks. Nothing is done in a rush.

Whenever the baby is in moms care, call dispatch and request a welfare check on said child and tell them the address. Then the police can see what/where the child lives, what kind of living conditions and also if you’re lucky the mom will have paraphernalia out when they randomly show up.
If the police see what you see, they can take the baby to the hospital and get CPS involved and it’ll happen a lot faster.
My husband is a police officer, so I’m telling you what I know and what I would do. Do not stop watching that baby, he’s lucky to have someone who cares! It’s ridiculous that “parents” can’t do better or right by their kids. They didn’t ask to be brought into this world.

3 Likes

Unfortunately foster care isn’t going to be better

7 Likes

Take him to an ER explain & they’ll call it in🙏🏽

3 Likes

If you are truly worried about a child than call CPS.

Honestly I would ask for a copy of the insurance and take him myself. He is 1 and can’t help himself… and if for next week he keeps coming in with smoke smell on him then yes report it ASAP. It’s not his fault that she is a shitty parent. He doesn’t deserve to suffer. Thank you for caring for him and about him. I have some baby stuff here let me know if I can send you stuff to help. I’m sorry that you and the baby are put in this position and have to make a difficult choices :disappointed:

Take that baby to the ER, explain to them what’s going on & they will handle it :heart:

9 Likes

Always go with your gut instinct, he’s clearly not being taken care of properly, Idk where you’re from but it’s against the law to smoke in a car with a child, you have to do the right thing by him and make sure he gets seen by a DR ASAP, Ide come right out and say" I’m feel very uncomfortable standing by watching him suffer you need to do xyz or I’ll figure " SOMETHING" out on my own

I would take him in the ER can get cps in loved

Take baby to ER.
tell them the full story
When they get a case worker involved (they will)
You can tell mom you called the telehealth line because of babies labored breathed and they advised you to seek medical care at the ER. You’re not “ratting her out” you’re helping her out whether she sees it or not. Big picture is the baby matters most.

4 Likes

Take him to the emergency room and see what they tell personally I won’t not call cps on her have A mandate reporter report it because they will know what to do some states you are allowed to smoke pot now so I’m not sure if they can can even include that

If you dont have him today I would call the emergency line for cps in your county. If you have him today take to the ER, tell them what is going on and they will get the hospital social worker involved so baby can get medical help right away. If he goes for long with low oxygen content it will harm him for years.

1 Like

Rsv season is coming upon us I definitely would take him to the er explain everything and they can get you in contact with the parties needed to be involved

You are gross if you try to call CPS. Smoking is not illegal around a kid. Like what are you trying to accomplish. Ughh

11 Likes

Tread carefully. I commend your care for the baby, but if you just started, you probably don’t know the whole situation. If it’s just mom and baby, maybe she is escaping DV and just starting over. Maybe the things he has, have been donated or given and mom can’t afford nice, new stuff. For the smoking, you may not agree with it, but that’s moms choice and CPS will most likely not do anything about it (depending on your state). If the child seems “sick” you can tell the mom that he seems to be getting worse and he needs to be checked out by a doctor before you can continue to watch him. Use the excuse that you don’t want yourself or your children to get sick, if he is contagious. Let her know that you need a doctors note, clearing him. That’s what a licensed day care provider/facility would request. Again, you don’t know her situation, so I wouldn’t jump to conclusions. I understand that you’re trying to be helpful and you care about the child, but CPS probably isn’t the right answer right off the bat, unless you see signs of abuse.

19 Likes

I’d sit her down and tell her your concerns let her know your not judging her but offer help and support

2 Likes

Call cps or ambulance.

i would call her and be like hey i’m taking you baby to the hospital they can’t breathe and i would tell her what hospital you’re going to and take the baby straight to the ER tell them everything you know before you even get there and hope for the best obviously they will help the baby but i’ve heard bad things about CPS and DCFS they will question them and sometimes that’s all they’ll do but you can try and instead of immediately calling let the hospital do it for you

How about you fucking stop watching the fucking child dumbass. It’s legal in Florida. Suggest she starts vaping you asshat. There are actual addicts out there making there children suffer and your on here looking like a fucking idiot.

No you’re an asshole. Wtf is wrong with you. You can help him and her with out taking her child. If she’s struggling what if this pushes her over the edge? Marijuana is legal in half the country. Just give her advice and try to help. You barely know her. Give her a chance to do the right thing and then if things get worse or don’t change do something. Some people don’t know how. You can help this baby without taking him away from his mother. I get he’s a baby and someone has to care but don’t let this be your first response. Please.

Why would you call dcfs to put the baby at more risk they just want that check😒 do u know how many children die by the hands of others? Give the mother a chance. Exspecially if she is young. Sit down with her and talk some sense to her geezeeeeee

6 Likes

So coming from a nurse you can’t have him seen medically your are not his guardian

3 Likes

No talk to the mother about the concerns give her a chance to fix things parenting is overwhelming at times especially if she’s a single mom please don’t rip a family apart bc you think you’re helping.

6 Likes

Before calling dcf I would have a long hard talk with mom if things don’t change id call but I would atleast give a warning that I will make a call if she can’t smarten up as someone has said I personally don’t care if she smokes pot however as a parent you do that on your own time in your own space not where a child goes such as a car or in the room with a child thats a no no

2 Likes

Try to help her. I would leave CPS out of it. Maybe she needs help with being a mom. Just never know. No 1 is perfect.

5 Likes