Should I fight my ex about child support?

<------ in the 14 years I raised my son i got less than 1000 total . I tried taking him to child support but I got denied because he couldn’t hold a job ( drug use and alcoholic ) the clerk flat out told me I could drop the case myself or they would drop it . Was it tough doing it on my own damn right it was at the time I was earning less than $ 9 a hour . But my son had all that he needed , very little of what he wanted . But he grew into a outstanding young man ( turning 21 in October) his father hasn’t spoken to him in over 2 years and hasn’t seen him in 10 . I never bad mouthed him but once he turned 18 I stopped making excuses and told him exactly why his dad wasn’t around … sometimes its best to just let it go Karma will take care of him .

Never fought my husband and I sent my son to college all on my own not easy but did

4 Likes

Fight it. Worse for him in the long run :joy:

Fight! Men get off easy!

3 Likes

No I wouldn’t bother fighting it …. You’re not getting it anyways. Now he’s unemployed again. You will spend your life chasing after child support that you will unlikely get

11 Likes

Honestly everyone I feel a bit different because it’s not the new wife’s responsibility to have “her” income messed with. If “she” has children of her own you would b taking money from them too. Not fair to those children.
The father should have to maintain a full time job for “his” CS. If not then jail time. That’s the law in WI. If court says u get child one certain days n pay them that’s what needs to happen

If he goes there 3 days a week, then you have her 4 days a week right? I mean that’s like 40/60 leave it alone :woman_facepalming:t3:

Real men pay without asking or being told too!

6 Likes

Let it go. He sees her still an pays for her when he’s with her. I honestly think child support should be given when the father isn’t in the kids life but that’s my opinion

8 Likes

IF you can afford it I’d let it go until he gets a job.

If he has the child during the week why ask for that support…unless he’s not a good dad

5 Likes

Oh yea, keep fighting it! And if he ever tries to get his rights signed off, don’t let him, cuz when she turns 18 she can sue him for all the back child support he owes her.
This is EXACTLY what my daughter’s father has done, except the staying at home with 4 kids that ain’t his. He was in the army and decided he didn’t want to be anymore, so without a plan he left. Was married to someone still in the army, she got stationed somewhere else over seas, he couldn’t go cuz he hadn’t paid his support and got his pass port taken away, so he tried to get me to drop child support all together cuz being away from his wife was effecting their marriage. Boohoo bullshit!! He is still currently not working and won’t talk to his 13 year old daughter, another man is doing his job. And he’s $50,000 behind in child support. It’s the principle of the fact, he can’t just think he’s getting away from not supporting the child he helped make.

This is my opinion if you think its worth it then do what you feel is right for your daughter… Your her Mother…

If he’s legally married they can take it from his wife. That’s what they did to my brother

3 Likes

Going against the majority. Is your baby taken care of? Are you struggling to make her basic needs? If no, then don’t fight it. He is still active in her life and gets her 3 days a week which I’m sure he is supporting her during his time. I am against child support when it comes to dads being active in their child’s lives.

Get FRO involved, that’s what we have here in Canada and they will take it immediately when he starts work or gets any type of money back

If you can do it by yourself then do it. Don’t say a word to your child. If he can live with it then you can live without it. He will have to ultimately answer for that. Keep all nice and “normal” for your baby. She will learn. Mine did. Oh, how she knows now!

8 Likes

Not many will agree with this but… why go thru all that stress? Is it worth it? Don’t be a baby momma… be a mother and take care of your child. Eventually it will all catch up to him. If he doesn’t pay now, he’ll be paying you when your kid is grown and out the house. Sometimes as mothers, we can’t worry about that. Just gotta do what we gotta do :woman_shrugging: I wouldn’t stress myself over that and the unnecessary drama that comes with it. I handled my own on my own.

Girl let it go. If he’s a dead beat dad then that’s what he is. You can’t change that only he can. It’s not the child’s fault that’s her dad. Don’t with hold the child from their dad. It’s just so damaging to the child. Let the child be with their dad regardless love isn’t about money. If he is good to the child and loves them then let him do that. In the long run that child will grow up and see for themselves what parent did what but they will love and respect you the most for not used them as a weapon or and barging tool and just allowed the dad to spend time with them and love them. Children need love and attention the most so they can grow up to be the same. Good luck to you and your kid.

Go back to court. Do not let it be reduced he will eventually have to pay it all in the end. Ask to suspend visitation until he’s gainfully employed.

9 Likes

I can understand If you don’t have it in you to go hard and fight it. Not sure what the laws are in your state/county. I definitely wouldn’t drop or close your case. Just let it build and she may wanna fight for it when she’s older but I would keep all options open.

1 Like

As the judge told my ex husband… Just because you choose to marry into more children does NOT mean you don’t have to support your FIRST family! No. Let the judge call him out on his sorry excuse!

In the state of Florida it doesn’t matter who is married to her how much she makes but it will be based on his income only. If he is not working it’s based on minimum wage for 40 hours. I’m not sure if you win or if they did it based on that I would probably look into that because there’s no reason to fight it if it is based on that because you won’t win.

Visitation and child support or two separate cases they don’t combine them so somebody could have visitation and not even be paying child support it’s ridiculous but it’s the way the court system here works I’m not sure where you’re at

I paid 600 a month for one kid, for 15 yrs… never minded a bit… I knew 600 wasn’t going to my son… oh well

Fight it, he needs consequences.

They’ll start taking his wife’s money. It happens

I wouldn’t fight it if he’s still getting her 3 day’s a week.

3 Likes

Fight it……but in court make sure you let them know that you are perfectly capable of supporting your child on your own. It’s the principle of the matter. And never show up to court in jeans, sweats, flip flops, or anything else that makes it hard for the judge/master to take you seriously. How you present yourself really does make a difference.

3 Likes

Fight it. My ex ran away from his obligations. No child support for 24 years. Eldest is 30 now. Of course he didnt stick around to help raise them either, at least you have that!!!

2 Likes

I’d fight it he wanted to play now he must pAy

3 Likes

If he can’t afford to pay right now, why would you fight what the government states he can afford based off his current situation?!

I don’t see the logic or benefit behind the situation besides being petty. Seems like your action to fight would do more damage than good.

You can try and fight it but he has your daughter three days a week, which is practically half so you will probably lose and it will be decreased.

3 Likes

Do what you think is fair. Decrease by 200$ though?!?! How much is he ordered to pay monthly? If you don’t mind sharing that Info. I have 11 you old twins. Their dad pays 120 a month in current support. (60 each) Plus a little for his arrears.

1 Like

Lost cause. At least your child has contact with the other parent. My sons DNA donor is over $17,000 behind. Can’t draw blood from a turnip as I always have been told. Don’t stress yourself out over fighting for money that if he’s not working you will not see anyhow. Good luck to you!!!

Fight it to the death! He still has the “potential” to earn!

Definitely fight . He’s responsible for the daughter too . Don’t let him get away with it . Fight till the end !!!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t fight it. If he can’t pay it, he can’t pay it. Let it be. It’ll all come back to be paid eventually.

1 Like

Guess the best question is - if he decreases the payment by $200 would he be able to apply that $$ toward your child on the days he has his child?? Can you survive without it? Money is the root of all evil! If he’s providing time and attention to your child and your child is happy, that’s all that matters - if his situation changes you can always peruse more support at that time.

You sound money hungry to be honest. " Why should he get peace when he owes me money." What is he supposed to do … pull it out of his ass? He has 3 days a week … literally half the week. if you take it to court … you’ll more than likely lose.

Why is he on child support if he has her half the week?

7 Likes

If he has her 3 days a week, and you’re still getting money, leave it alone💯 and fight it how? They literally base it off of income, if he don’t have it, they’re not going to increase it anyway

If he’s getting her 3 days a week honestly it probably should be lowered. That’s 2 days shy of 2 full weeks a month. so he has her almost as much as you do. You can try to fight it but it’ll probably be decreased.

4 Likes

U may fight it but child support is based on income. In my state I’ve saw some cases where they’ll hve men paying only $25.00. What I’m trying to say if u fight it u may get less than what u were already told you’ll be getting

Also the part where the 4 children aren’t “biological “ is b.s too, they’re still his step children, sounds salty to me

If he files taxes you’ll get that check if he’s behind in child support

I would fight it. He is financially helping the other children by staying home and taking care of them. What about her financial needs?

i see why so many of y’all are single moms. yikes.

12 Likes

Girl I would just drop it, they are going to end up making you pay him child support due to the fact that he does not work and he takes your baby 3 days a week

4 Likes

I hope you have enough money of your own to live comfortably, but if you’re struggling (and even if you’re not), contact the Family Services group in your area. Child support is court ordered - eventually he’ll pay or serve time in jail. Good luck and don’t give up,

I would fight it if they are married what he owes she owes you could make her pay you since he is a stay at home dad for her children

3 Likes

Always fight for what your kids deserve!

4 Likes

Just take what you can get🤣 my oldest is 27 and I still get child support for him🙄

I wouldn’t fight it. He is spending time with her 3 days every week. Especially if those days are the weekends since they are in school all day during the week. I feel like child support is more for absent fathers.

Cancel it, all of it, he’s being a father to her for his half of the time as.he should be, why should he have to pay you to be her father?

12 Likes

Toss up. I mean… if he ain’t working… how can he pay anything? And 3 days a week brings his time to about 1/3 of what u have ur child for. Both of these things work against u and will decrease the amount ordered.

2 Likes

I would fight it! I would stick it to him for being a lazy ass and not taking care of his duties. Also I’d fight for any back support he has failed to pay. I’m surprised he hasn’t been put in jail for failure to pay and for following a court order

Well I think you should go to court and file a motion that he is delinquent in child support and that he willfully chose not to work so he should not get his child support reduced he’s living off of his wife so he can try and get away without paying and asked that they have him prove he’s looking for work he’s just staying home to be a stay at home daddy so he can get away with not paying

8 Likes

Hell ya, fight that! He is doing it on purpose. Make sure you let the courts know that he is not working to babysit kids that aren’t his wtf?!

2 Likes

He is not paying you to be a father please ignore that message. He is paying to support her and make sure she has what she needs. You didnt make her by yourself…what i would say is let him lower it in the end he still owes you the money they are not taking it away. Come taxe season guess who is getting more money you are…

Fight it. The base. Hold support on his most current paying job or on full time minimum wage.

Absolutely fight it. Just because he’s spending 3 days a week with her doesn’t mean squat. Spending time with her doesn’t pay for clothes, school supplies, activities she may want to do/play, health insurance, a roof over her head, food in her belly? Kids cost money & both parents need to help with that. A responsible parent knows they will have to pay child support if they move out & do it without throwing a fit.

Fight it…he will have to repay it no matter how long it takes

2 Likes

Fight!! Even if he can’t pay now you can still get it later. You can put liens on property he sells.

3 Likes

This whole thread is full of bitter baby mommas

14 Likes

What state are you in? Georgia child support services has enforcement action that handles this type of situation.

Soooo im not tripping when I seen it say he had her 3 days out the week? Right? Im not tripping

I would fight that I would sue the state for failure to enforce a court order this happened to me my state allowed my child’s father to do and pay as he pleases they never enforced anything now my son is eighteen and child support is done now with him leaving an unpaid balance of 21,000 thousand dollars which is crazy !!! So I am filling a law suite against my state because they are who enforces child support in first place now they are telling me because he has another minor Child I can’t get what he owes still which I think is B.S it just seemed like my state went out of their way to protect dead beat daddy’s

Its a waste. You do you and raise your child the best you can!

2 Likes

Fight it, take their tax returns, file a lien against any property make sure he’s in the federal list so he can’t get a passport or even take a cruise, and don’t let up until he gets the damned picture. Go hard for yours!

6 Likes

My boys father left when they were 2 4 and 6. I never once received anything from him not a single cent. But I had the best support from my parents.

2 Likes

I guess that depends on if you really need the money or if it’s just because of the principle of it. If you need it then fight it if you’re doing it just cuz the court says so and not because you actually need the extra money then let it go.

Don’t fight it, he’s being a dad to her, he has her 3 of 7 days a week. I think it’s fair to drop it off he’s providing half of her needs. So what if his wife is working and he takes care of her kids. Kids need love and if he’s doing that for them and his own what’s the problem??
I stay home and my husband takes care of my kids as they were his own, their dad passed when they were lil so he is the closest thing to a dad they have!
Women need to stop being money hungry and start coparenting with their children in mind! Not everyone gets time with their dad and your kid gets 3 days, with no sitter, with her dad! He’s involved. Leave it. :heart:

Get out of it. Child support is a waste of time!

In reality they don’t think he can afford it to be the current amount. If the judge feels he can’t live off his current checks its likely the reasoning. While he should pay child support he should also eat and shower as he is helping his child to do.

4 Likes

He is voluntarily unemployed if he quit his job and his child support should not be lowered. I bet his new wife would be peeved if her child support was lowered.

I would fight it, especially if he purposes quit that previous job to avoid paying the support.

He has her 3 days and you have her 4. So he is a stay at home dad. Yeah I would let this go, before you lose child support all together, he is in her life and provides for her when he has her… and still is attempting to provide for her for when you have her. Not to be rude but you sound a little money hungry. Be more focused on them having a relationship than you getting a pay check.

Good luck there I’ve had my ex be ordered to pay $200 a month and never gotten a single payment in 16 years. Good luck :crossed_fingers:

How are you going to get something from nothing?

4 Likes

Seeing as he puts in 3 of 7 days because I’m pretty sure you’re not willing to give up another day, validates that he shouldn’t even be paying a cent. Do you pay him child support when he has her? I’m guessing not.

8 Likes

Sounds like you have a 50/50 visitation. In that case you normally don’t get child support because he pays for what is needed when the child is with him just like you do when you have the child.

Nope. Just leave it alone. He has her 3 or 4 days a week. And if . he’s not an absent parent.

5 Likes

Fight it. I’ve heard a judge say that’s what he’s capable of earning, (his former job), so that’s what he had to pay. It’s for his child!

He’ll probably get a decrease…

1 Like

Yes take to court, have ruling for child support now plus $100 a month to catch up back c support
Have a dollar amount to go by. State back money should be pd in full in 2 years.

Wouldn’t bother fighting it. He’s not an absent parent and for the person that said limit his visitation … really? Child support has nothing to do with visitation. At least he is apart of the kids life. Hate it when people associate the two.

14 Likes

He supports her with his time. You basically have 50/50 custody and he takes care of her when she is with him, as it should be sooo no! let it go, worry about yourself and how you are going to support your child when you have her. That is all.

6 Likes

Leave him alone he’s not an absent father he’s clearly taking her 3 days out of the week and I’m pretty sure your not giving him money to provide for the child. So let him be it seems like your salty he lives with his wife and her kids clearly he’s not providing much to her either if he don’t work so at this point let him be, work and take care of your child. Let him keep her the days he has her to help you out and let it be. If your child need something let him know and see if he can buy it to take some of the weight off you.

Heck fight it I know my mother would say that to me so fight it

You can’t fight it. It is based off of his income.

4 Likes

Lost cause, he sounds like a leech

Consult an attorney.

Look after you & your child. Don’t bother with the money. It will be a constant fuck around.

I collected child support for a living for 15 years. What he is doing is being voluntarily unemployed or under-employed. WHO is trying to reduce his amount? Fight it either through ORS or a court. If you have a judicial order it cannot be changed without a court order. If you have an Administrative Order get into ORS and set them straight.

1 Like

Her income is also considered for child support unless they had a prenup.

3 Likes

Fight they can take her taxes

3 Likes

Si no te da dinero demanda son sus hijos debe aportar para el bien de ellos

I would fight it. They will at least impute minimum wage. He will owe you probably throughout his life. So if he ever works or gets disability or taxes or stimulus you will get it. Take the money and open a savings account for your daughter. She can put it towards her first car.

Fight for what is deserved for your daughter both parent should provide for their child not just one no matter the visitation rights he has. It’s selfish to say that only the mother should pay for everything just because the mother won’t give up some of her days.

1 Like

If he has no verifiable income they can take their tax returns and that is probably about it, they may jail him for non payment but that doesn’t solve anything either, at least he is still involved in her life, my oldest is 32 never received a dime even thou I worked with support enforcement, he quit his jobs constantly then the bastard had the nursing home he ended up in contact me a week before he died demanding to contact his son, that he had no contact with whatsoever since 21 months old. So if he is willing to spend time with her, accept it. just a side note too, that same 32 year old son is and has been paying child support for a child that is not his, he was in a relationship with her mother when she was born and maintains a relationship with the young lady and will continue to pay for the remainder of the time.