Should I give up and pretend I don't have a grandchild?

My brother has 6 kids & i have 5. None of my family including my mom or me are allowed to see ANY of his kids because his babymamas have issues with HIM. My 5 are the only ones shes got to see in YEARS Its really ridiculous & sad especially seeeing how much it hurts my mom.

2 Likes

File for grandparent’s rights

1 Like

The vibe I’m getting from this post is that she’s a bitter baby mamma and taking out her anger from your son, onto you, which isn’t fair.

I’m almost positive covid doesn’t have a thing to do with it :joy:

The word “appointment” does sound harsh, but also I get that to an extent, at least “make plans” and establish a time a day so she’s not thrown off when you come.

But Sounds like she acts like you can come see him but switches up depending on her mood. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Look into seeing if your state has grandparent rights. If so take it to court.

4 Likes

My grandson means the absolute world to me, I would b heart broken if I wasn’t allowed to see him!!
My suggestion to u is to go to a lawyer, first for a paternity test to ensure your son is defo the dad…secondly if the results come back that he is…kick your son up the qrse and tell him to step up to his responsibilities! And if the mother still refuses yous access to see him then if u really want a relationship with your grandson…see a lawyer

2 Likes

Grandparents have rights too. Get a lawyer

1 Like

Are you vaccinated? It’s a hard time to have a baby and she may be worried about Covid. Having to ‘make an appointment’ is not that strange to me… my family doesn’t visit without telling us, and since she has more than one child they may be busy and need to know when you are coming. This all really depends on the situation and it’s hard to know what your relationship with her is like from this. But I wouldn’t give up on a child you want in your life.

1 Like

Girl, disrespectfully stfu. You’re throwing a tantrum like a toddler :joy: I don’t get to see my grandchild (NOT your child) so should I just pretend I don’t have one? Boo hoo. Suck it up. You are not entitled to see your grandchild whenever you want to, it’s up to the parents. You just outed yourself as somebody that only cares about their wants and does not respect boundaries. This is not your child and you need to get that through your head. You said it yourself, it’s her child. Her child, her rules. “This isn’t the grandma experience I dreamed of” lmfao. It isn’t about YOU lady. I’d keep you FARRRRR away from my kid too

She may just feel uncomfortable due to the strained relationship with your son. Personally I think if it is important to YOU, you should keep trying. She may want you to make appointments to see him, but it may not always be that way…it sounds like an awkward situation…from all angles. Over time things might get easier.

I schedule my visits with my grandson…his parents are not together and my and his mom didn’t have the best of relationships til he was born. Now we are great because I have respect for her as his mother. It’s her child, her house, and her rules. He is also almost six hours away. I would never dream of just “popping up”! What if she’s busy? What if they are sick? What if she just doesn’t want company? It’s called respect. Even if we was to argue, I would never in my wildest dreams, ever give up on my sweet dumplin! Try to be more understanding on her part. She’s obviously raising the grand baby without your son which is hard on its own but to have more than one kid by yourself is just chaos.

6 Likes
  1. How many baby dad’s not your concern
  2. If your son wasn’t ready he should had used protection
  3. What did you do for her not to allow you to see grandson
    If it was you and in the same predicament in these times and ages trying to protect your child… what would you do.
    Accept her rules if you feel you over stepped your boundaries apologize ask when will you be able to see the child under her rules. .if she agree ok bring a gift .if she doesn’t agree that’s ok too. .

If you are skeptical all around ask your son does he feel the child is his if not suggest a paternity test. ( Just so you know if he signed BC it’s his no matter what)
Other wise calm down and start over and be nice :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

First and foremost, the fact that she has 3 kids with 2 different dads is none of your business. As far as “grandparent rights” go - you can attempt however you have to prove that you and the baby have already had an established relationship, this situation is negatively impacting the child, and/or you have to prove the mom to be an unfit mom. It is obviously and any court will see that you didn’t have an already established relationship with the baby, the mother is not unfit, etc. As far as having to pick a time, it sounds like the mom is making boundaries for her child. I am not a fan when people show up to my house unexpected. More or less because we have a routine. If you do not respect her boundaries, you aren’t obligated to see her child - whether you are blood or not. If your son is making no attempt at all and like you mentioned your son wasn’t not “ready” for this step, it sounds like the mama may be protecting her child from what can cause future problems for him. Not just that, if you were struggling to be excited about your new grand baby for the mere fact of your son not being “ready” - the mama likely sensed that, knew that, etc. so she is having additional boundaries because of that. If my child was born early and was a premie, I would want to limit who is around especially considering covid is very much a thing still as well as RSV and other things that can easily be given to a little one. I don’t think you should give up. I think you should respect the mamas boundaries. I would also hope you would tell your son you expect him to “man up”, “grow a set”, etc. because it takes TWO to TANGO :woman_shrugging:t2: whether they are together or not he should be at least offering to purchase things for baby or even help with baby.

3 Likes

Yikes so many of you women are/are gonna be mother-in-laws/grandmas from hell :woman_facepalming:

9 Likes

Try to befriend her for now and schedule visits. With having multiple kids having a schedule is helpful and necessary for some. I have 4 and I would think it inconsiderate for someone just to pop by without asking. That being said remember that mother is now also a part of your life forever and her feelings are valid too. So maybe offer to help out with housework. Laundry, dishes, babysitting other kids. Your son may not be present but you can still be involved if you make friends and be a supportive person in their life.

4 Likes

File for grandparent rights

3 Likes

Look into Troxel v Granville. You have rights as a grandparent. Don’t give up on your grandson.

1 Like

In some states grandparents have rights. Get a lawyer and see what your options are.

Im sending a big high five to you for trying to be apart of your grandsons life! My husband’s mom doesn’t even care about my kids. She never wants to see them or speak with them.

I also don’t see the point of pointing out she has 3 children and 2 different dads or how they been off and on. It sound like you may need to get past some resentment/judgement. She is the mother to your grandchild which in my opinion deserves respect especially if you want it from her.

10 Likes

Was there a paternity test done

1 Like

Have you tried bonding with her ? How was your relationship before the baby ? . I have a new born prem and Me and the dad have asked everyone to be respectful and to make an appointment due to our little girl being poorly . We honestly have so many appointments at the hospital too maybe see if she needs some help in that way . I’m sorry it’s not the experience you were hoping for but it could get better you need to speak to your son and get him to step up because he laid down and made that baby he should be making an effort please don’t make excuses for him he’s a fully grown man sort him out . One thing you could try is asking how she is I know as a new mum I was constantly asked how baby was but never me it makes all the difference. Good luck but prove to her your there to stay and make sure she knows you have her back and will work with her for the best outcome for the little baby :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I wouldn’t want someone just stopping by for any reason. Especially with covid, I don’t know why you don’t understand. If she all of the sudden stopped you from seeing the baby there has to be a reason your not willing to say. Your son is a beadbeat if he’s not trying to see his kid.

9 Likes

Go to court and get grandparent rights

1 Like

The fact that u just HAD to point out how many kids and babys dads she has speaks volumes on ur character :woozy_face::woozy_face:

12 Likes

Probably not ur son’s kid…

3 Likes

It’s her rules and her child. No one owes you a grandchild. By appointment is normal. It’s not your child, not your home, which means you call and get approval before invading. Sounds like you are just upset that you can’t control and have your way. Respect her wishes.

8 Likes

Im so sorry for your situation. Ive dealt with it too. They use the children to control us. Send letters to the child and packages. She may throw them away but you will know you are involved in some way. I worried the piss out of my first grandchilds mother. She told me she didnt want anything from me and to leave them alone. I was persistent. My granddaughter is 18 now and she knows the story of how we came to be. I didnt get to meet her until she was 9 months old. We have a wonderful relationship. She still doesnt have a relationship with my son, her dad. I did it for me and her. Prayers that everything will work out for you.

Most states have grandparents rights at least to visits.

5 Likes

Is it even your sons kid :joy:

You can apply through the courts in the uk

And another things, who she has decided to sleep with and have children with in the past is absolutely none of your business. It is shameful and disgusting of you to speak down her in that way.

8 Likes

A real grandma would never pretend they don’t have a grandkid no matter what

13 Likes

Thats your grandchild and you make an appointment to see them if that’s what it takes. From experience, it really hurts when you know someone gave u on you because of tiny obstacles. Do whatever it takes.

11 Likes

Usually if the mom won’t let you be the grandma you want to be, there’s a reason. Perhaps some self reflection is needed instead of pointing the finger at her. Having a relationship with the mother would help too.

12 Likes

My oldest sons grandma was a huge part of his life even tho her son was a deadbeat! I never kept her from him and our schedules were never an issue. We never had one disagreement, she was and still is the most awesome grandma out there and he’s now 30! Sounds like the baby momma needs to grow up, I was only 19! There is a thing called grandparent rights but it’s only 8 days a year or at least it used to be!

5 Likes

You say you can’t just stop by, you have to make an appointment. That seems strange to you? Why is strange to be respectful? I made the same request to my ex’s father. “you can see them whenever you want. Just please call first.” He refused. I had to drop my plans numerous plans because he’s just show up. If I wasn’t home he’d sit on my porch & wait hours. Then expect an explanation of where his grandkids are. My advise to you if you really want to be in your grandsons life to respect her wishes. If you need to “make an appointment” then so be it. How does that harm you? If things ended between your son & her on bad terms she’s going to expect you to be like him. For example if he was controlling she’ll expect that you will try to control her. You did raise the man who made a baby but chooses not to be a father to him. Be considerate of her feelings. She’s the mother of your grandson. Not an object that you can pop in on whenever to mess up schedules, plans etc. Let her know that you want to be in baby’s life. Respect her, follow her rules. She’s the 1 raising this child, not you & obviously not your son. Whatever you do don’t make him get custody or visitation so you can have the baby. If he’s going to file for parenting time HE needs to be the parent. Not depend on mommy. You can’t coddle him forever. It’s hard to think about but when you pass away he’ll dump that baby off on anyone or abandon him because he never wanted to be in his life to begin with. Baby is better without him at all in that case. Plus she’s not going to trust you or him.

6 Likes

I’m so sorry. I would never give up.

I feel for you, huge hugs. These people commenting don’t know your situation and they certainly don’t know this young mum. Which in my opinion doesn’t give them the right to be so snarky and rude to you. I would suggest you keep trying with her, but without putting yourself in any harms way. Write letters etc to your wee grandson and pop them away in a special box for him. If things work out that’s great if they don’t he might come looking for family later. Try the legal way if you need to. All the best :two_hearts:

1 Like

I made people call ahead when my second was born and that was precovid. Mom is prob dealing with alot with the changes with her other children having a new sibling as well as the threat of covid. Be patient with her.

2 Likes

Offer to give her a break, watch her kids for a few hours or offer to take all the kids. If you buy for one , you buy for all. As far as your son goes …he wasn’t ready …well tough shit…he’s a father and needs to take responsibility. Maybe you should be gripping about the immaturity of him.

First, what does having 3 children by 2 different dads have anything to do with your question? Second, perhaps she is this way because you are the mother of your son. If he wasn’t ready for a child he should have been wearing a condom and make sure she was on the same page, so thay is his fault. He could have been really mean and nasty to her, you never know what he has said to her, which is causing her to push you away. Men can be downright mean when something unexpected happens, so I would try and get her side, ask her how everything is and express that you are not your son. Also, I don’t have a newborn and I detest when people just show up unannounced. Like please give me notice that you intend to stop by, just don’t show up, I have a life and refuse to drop what I plan for anyone who cannot afford me some respect.

8 Likes

Ace Makins yes! The Real problem here is that IS NOT HER GRANDMA EXPERIENCE SHE DREAMED OF!

4 Likes

I can’t BELIEVEEE the amount of people saying grandparents have rights. Sorry to burst ALL your bubbles but they absolutely DO NOT HAVE RIGHTS TO OUR CHILDREN. With covid getting bad again and the baby being born early I don’t blame mom for not wanting anyone around. You all are a bunch of crazies if you HONESTLY think grandparents should have a right to children they didn’t birth. And sorry but MOST states don’t have grandparents rights unless BOTH parents are DECEASED… and the ones that do have them you need proof that the grandparents bonded with the baby and it would negatively affect the child not having them around. Which is very obviously NOT the case here. It really sounds like a boundary issue here. You probably stop by unannounced which is unacceptable. And the fact you don’t get ur way so you say stuff like “oh should I just forget I have a grand son?” THAT IS a HUGE red flag for me I can’t believe no one caught that!!! The fact you don’t like her is very much clear by bashing on how many kids and baby daddies she had smh. !!!

1 Like

This sounds like an awful situation but, it’s your sons job to mediate the situation!

4 Likes

Sounds like you need to finish raising your son before you worry about being in your Grandkids life. Also making an apt is not bizarre. Most people don’t want other people dropping by whenever they feel like it. You schedule a time that is convenient for all.

10 Likes

You can go to court and ask for grandparent rights

1 Like

The fact that you’re calling it an “appointment” shows that you need to set yourself some boundaries and need to grow up a bit. I’m sure the mother didn’t call it an appointment but you absolutely should be calling to see if it’s convenient to come around. Just showing up at someone’s house is bad manners.
It sounds like you’re very judgmental of her the way you made a point of saying she has 3 children by two different dads (that really wasn’t relevant to the rest of the post)!
My mother in law was a judgmental asshole too and I cut her off because neither me nor my son need that kind of negativity.

If the baby was born early the doctors so not to let anyone visit (not even family) or majorly restrict visitations for the first year of life due to a lowered immune system. This happened with my first neice. I wasn’t able to see or hold her for months and we had to wacmsh our hands before touching her for the first year.

2 Likes

Take the time to make the appointment ask if there is anything she or all of her kids need you have the opportunity to have bonus grandchildren learn all of their birthdays and do no more for your actual grandchild than you would do for the others. Look how many women have complained about one child’s grandparent leaves out the other kids. Once you develop a relationship with the mother I am sure she will allow more time with your grandchild. Keep in mind she hardly knows you would you want a stranger showing up unexpectedly?

3 Likes

first of all is your son the father.

3 Likes

P.s. my mom and mother in law can’t just stop by. Rude to assume you should be able to and disrespectful of her boundaries. Make an appointment :roll_eyes:

And here I am wishing my children grandparents would act like one!

2 Likes

Wow your entitlement is amazing. You can keep complaining of not having “the grandma experience you dreamed of” and “having to make an appointment “ or you can start being respectful.

10 Likes

It’s never like the grandma experience you dream of

I kinda hate when ppl just stop in sometimes it’s a pain it’s not much of her to ask for you to make an appointment

5 Likes

Make an appointment. It sounds like she barely knows you …her life isn’t going to revolve around you.

12 Likes

Unfourtanley and I’m not agreeing with her, but she is the Mom. I feel she should be allowed to set the boundary of knowing when you’re coming over. I was raised that way, and have that boundary for my MIL. She was not happy, but eventually i think she understood. I also don’t have a great relationship with her, and she has said and done some very hurtful things to us, and didn’t respect many of our rules/wishes, so I feel its okay to set boundaries and make choices similar to that, but she also never seems to want to speak about it. Have you ever tried talking to her about this? Maybe you’ve offended her or hurt her feelings someway. It might be worth a convo! Good luck grandma and congrats! :heart:

8 Likes

The fact that you mentioned that she has other kids by different baby dads doesn’t have anything to do with you. As a single mom who has gone through something similar to what your grandchild’s mother is going through, I must say that it is a little difficult to deal with family members from your child’s paternal side KNOWING the fact that your dead beat baby daddy doesn’t even wanna claim or be apart of his child’s life .Call me bitter , immature but I cut ties with every one of em .To me it just didn’t make any sense

11 Likes

Speak up and put your foot down there is a thing called grandparents rights you can take her to court

5 Likes

It’s Bizarre not bazaar

4 Likes

There’s missing information here that is very relevant. How early was the child? If he spent a lot of time in the NICU then you probably COULDN’T see him just as she said. NICUs have strict rules for the safety of the child and they are even more strict since COVID.
In relation to that, just because a child is home, that doe not mean that they are healthy. Being born premature can cause a ton of long term health problems and a compromised immune system. I barely left the house with my daughter In the months after she got out of the NICU because her immune system was so bad and the last thing I wanted was for her to get sick.
With COVID now, I couldn’t imagine the worry that I would feel.
Are you vaccinated?

As far as this not being the grandma experience you dreamed of, can you imagine what she must be going through? No mother dreams of their child being born early and having a hard start at life. Adjust your expectations and try to be a little more understanding.

15 Likes

There is a big difference in using the words make an appointment or please call ahead. I hate when anyone just drops by my house.

20 Likes

Or go for grandparent rights !

3 Likes

So sorry for the situation. Sadly Grandparents are not as treasured as they once were, even when families are “normal” . We have differences with my husband’s daughters and don’t get to see our 3 grandparents even tho’ 2 are now adults and should know better. Very sad and painful x

Imma be honest I don’t blame the mom. The baby was born early and with everything going on I wouldn’t want people to just drop by with no notice either. I’d just respect her wishes and talk to your son one on one at a later time

10 Likes

What rules are you not following? I think it’s respectful to say hey can I come by and see so and so at this time. It’s not making an appointment it’s just being considerate of the moms life!! I’m sorry she is taking out your son being a pos on you but just try your best to fallow her rules and respect her as the mom.

4 Likes
  1. I hate when people drop by unannounced.
  2. There’s still a pandemic happening.
    If you would rather write off your grandchild as not existing than set up a time with mom? That sounds like your problem. Poor kid.
14 Likes

Grandparents have a right to see their grandchildren. You can easily take it to court

3 Likes

First of all…a premie is super immune compromised and…the first few weeks are rough. You should never turn your back on the grandbaby and…those other two kids need love and support to since he has chosen the package deal. I would offer to bring meals, diapers, or whatever is needed. Try to befriend this woman so your grandbaby won’t have to be a stranger. All women need and deserve support.

5 Likes

Sounds like our situation with our son’s daughter. She is going to be 3. We have only seen her maybe 12 times in her lifetime. Always has to have her mom present. Her mom won’t leave when she brings her and very controlled of what goes on. We can’t get grandparents rights because Iowa doesn’t have that for grandparents. I’ve talked to numerous lawyers. Sucks. But at least now our son gets to see her every 2 weeks when he make the 3 hour drive to see her. The mom doesn’t even bring granddaughter to him smh. Why are some women so hurtful to people . We have been nothing but nice to her smh. Just very hurtful and emotionally draining to us. She doesn’t hardly know us.

1 Like

If your grandchild was in the NICU for long I don’t blame her, with this covid stuff going around I personally wouldn’t allow anyone to just stop by either, especially with an early baby or a brand new baby. Even with no pandemic, I would expect a call if someone was coming to my house as well.

6 Likes

There are grandparents rights in place in the event that she does try to keep your grandchild away from you. Hopefully, it won’t come to having to go to to court though, and hopefully she isn’t keeping the baby from you because your son isn’t stepping up (which is not your fault). The more people to love the child, the better.

1 Like

Whats your son’s role in all of this? He can help arrange for you to see his child, and there’s nothing wrong with setting up a convenient time (appointment) for all of you. You might have to review your expectations, because it sounds like there are a lot of other people to consider in this situation. Her other children, for starters. Congratulations on being a grandmother!!

1 Like

Realistically… You can petition the courts for grandparents rights of visitation… get on touch with the clerk of the courts in your county and ask

1 Like

OKAY HEAR ME OUT. Most states have GRANDPARENT RIGHTS may be called something else. You can get visitation :wink::wink::wink:

I’ve never been in this situation, but maybe if she will agree to let you see him with an appointment, if you can start out that way, maybe she will warm up and change- one can only hope. Good Luck!!

1 Like

Wow! Allot of you remind me of my nightmare MIL and why we cut her out of our lives :roll_eyes: We are a happier family because of it :heartpulse:

14 Likes

Grandparents aren’t parents. She isn’t obligated to let you see them. Depending on the state laws you may or may not have rights. She is the mother she legally has the rights to tell you yes or no. Sorry not sorry. Maybe she doesn’t like something that YOU are doing when you’re around the child.

10 Likes

Fight for that grandbaby!!! By any means necessary…He deserves to have his Grandmother in his life!!

1 Like

It’s ok that you have your feelings and you are grieving what should have been, but he is her kid. Especially since your son decided to leave things broken and not be a dad. She makes the rules. You can petition to see the child via grandparents rights if that applies in your state. Other than that looks like your son really screwed things up for you on that front. His decisions have consequences for everyone involved. I do think she’s really something to be accepting your gifts but refusing to let you see the child at any capacity but she is the shot caller because she’s the only responsible party for that child. Her responses will be at least equal to yours so speak kindly, make no demands and make an appointment. If I had grandbabies I’d be beating down the door to see them in any way they would permit me to knowing full well I’m at their mercy. Don’t give up on the ones you love.

6 Likes

I have never and will never just knock on anyone’s door without asking 1st…no matter who it is…it’s a little rude and imposing to me

Forget your son, the mother is the gatekeeper of that child and if you are to have a chance of any form of relationship with your grandson its gonna probably start with a respectful dialog with her

7 Likes

Sorry you’re going through this….but please take a minute and put yourself in the mom’s position. Would you welcome unannounced visits to your home by a stranger? Wouldn’t you want to do what you could to protect your preemie?

Doesn’t matter if she has 10 kids by 10 different dads….your son chose to participate and created a baby….it takes 2. And she may be hesitant starting a relationship with you due to the fact that your son wasn’t ready for a kid. It takes time to build a relationship with someone and build trust.

6 Likes

There’s a thing called grandparents rights where you can take her to court and still see your grandchild

2 Likes

I don’t like anyone to stop by unannounced, friends, parents, in laws. Maybe it’s also a hard adjustment for her. Maybe her other children’s grandparents aren’t involved and don’t make an effort to be. There’s a lot of things that can play into this situation to provide different outcomes

3 Likes

So make a fucking apt. Solved. :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2: Her house. Her kid. HER FUCKING RULES LADY.

As a parent with a child who had a stay in NICU at birth, I didn’t want anyone near him and even now at 18 months I’m iffy with who I do allow to be around or touch him. But I wouldn’t write off a grandbaby. Maybe mom is struggling with a safety concern regarding baby’s immunity

2 Likes

You’re surprised that you can’t just stop by her home whenever you want? I’m not surprised she’s cut you out

11 Likes

I went through this exact situation. Its so hard when its the SO actually having the child and not your own child, bc then you feel like if the relationship doesn’t work out, you are the bad guy just bc you are related to the other parent.
My son had a child with a girl who went nuts and didn’t let anyone get to know their child really until after the 1st year. Wouldn’t accept gifts, Wouldn’t let us visit, or even share a picture. I had to get it all from my son, who did do his best to get the mom to meet us half way. I always felt bad crying to my son, bc I too dreamed of this magic at being a grandparent. The 1st year was super hard. I swallowed a lot of anger and remained nice no matter how I was treated. Bc I wanted to know my grand daughter, so it wasn’t about my feelings anymore. It was about her. Maybe take mom out to coffee or lunch, and just try to assure mom that you aren’t trying to take over, or control anything. Whether you like mom or not, you have to have a relationship at least until the child is old enough to visit on their own. Until then you have to be the bigger stronger person. Do you ever offer to give her a break from other kids and maybe babysit all her kids? I know that seems like a lot, but it could open the door to a way to meet in the middle somewhere. My relationship with the mom is still hard at times. But its better. Mainly bc I keep telling myself, shes the mom, and there isn’t any formal custody arrangements, my son actually has my grand daughter more than mom most weeks, and they just moved back in with us so he could save to buy a house. But I have learned extreme patience with mom when we do have to communicate. And she’s gotten better as she’s grown and learned that if help raising a child is offered, dont be stupid and slam the door without a good reason. Good luck.

1 Like

I’d ask them why? See if there is a good reason. As what you need to do so they can accommodate seeing the child.

I haven’t seen 2*of my grandkids for 20/years since my son passes away. But now at 95 WHO CARES I DON,T

5 Likes

Your son could exercise his visitation and you could see the baby then.

1 Like

Do I just give up pretend I don’t have a grandchild??? Really??? Why does not allow you to see the child at all? :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Yes give.and REMEMBER when your son wants!something SAY NO.GIVE UP

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you are going through that! I would never keep a child from its grandparents! I do however set up visits with my boys grandparents ahead of time and they do not just show up whenever, i wouldn’t mind if they did, but I also don’t just shoe up their house either, works for us both. Oh my heart breaks for you! My babies dad and I had a very rough breakup, protection orders and all, but I put my personal feelings aside for what was best for my child, having a relationship with grandparents is very important, and the bond my boy has with both sides of grandparents is so special, depending on where you live, you can take her to court for visitation, although that may only be like once a month, and take awhile.

My husbands mom pretends my children don’t exist until she wants to tell someone I refuse to let her see them. It’s been almost years and we’ve had another child since my husbands mother was removed from my children’s lives because she put their lives in danger. We happened to move to the same town she lives in and she works at the only grocery store in our town. She still hasn’t met our two year old. But she will drive 45 minutes to see my husbands brothers kid. She’s never once in that 6 years asked to see my children. She has never once asked to see my husband in that time either.

Coming from the momma of littles who have had their only living grandparent “give up” if you’re having to ask you already have.

1 Like

My MIL has nothing to do with my son, her biological grandson. She doesn’t acknowledge him when she sees him out, none of their family does. It took my husband years to stand up to them and say enough was enough. Please take it from me, never stop trying, never stop making those ridiculous appointments, never stop making an effort, or buying gifts because one day your grandson will know you tried so hard to be apart of his life and that’s something my son will never know. He will only have questions about why his own daddy’s family didn’t want to be apart of his life.

1 Like

It’s not about you and your grandma experience dreams… it is her newborn, and her boundaries. If you want a relationship with the baby at all, then it starts with respecting her wishes from the start.

15 Likes

The thing is it’s not about you and your “grandma experience”. You’ve had your baby and if he’s turned out to be a big disappointment then you can’t claim a do-over baby.
In the middle of a Covid pandemic most people haven’t been able to meet their grandkids especially if they are premature. Mum has probably had a lot to deal with on her own. You’ll get further by being kind and building a relationship with her

9 Likes

She sounds like she’s on a power trip. Either play her game or just give up and let her raise him herself