Should I let my 18 year old brother travel alone?

Let him go…he has learned and listened to your guidance. Now it is time to put it in practice. You sound like an awesome sister …just remain solid and be there for him if something goes wrong. He will respect you for it in the end. Good job, sis

No. Or go with him. You really can’t stop him… so just go. It might be a fat,sweaty, man he contacted

All these people saying 18 is grown. No. Some 18 year olds are still in school. 18 years is hardly GROWN.

Sounds like she is just wanting to keep him out of a compromising situation and she seems to be the one looking after him since his mom passed. Buncha rude ass women up on this page, per usual

I understand but like you said he is 18 years old now. I would be worried too. Has he done anything other than type to her on a screen? Video calls, phone talking, anything that verifies that is IS who they say they are? Triple check that this person isn’t a minor too would be highly beneficial, especially these days!!

Honestly if he wants to go meet the girl I would say you would go with him for support but stay out of the way. If anything happens he can call and you’re right there

So being 18 he doesn’t need your permission. But he asked anyway, which shows some form of maternity. I would say let him go and make his own mistakes. He needs to learn somehow. Again he’s 18 and doesn’t need your permission. Let him go and make his own mistakes, of he makes mistakes at all

Be won’t be able to rent a hotel room. He won’t be able to rent a car. Where will he stay? How will he get there? These are questions that need to be asked. Technically you can’t stop him

2 Likes

All these he’s an adult comments will be the same ones blaming her if he goes and ends up missing. Yes he is legally an adult but that doesn’t mean he has the mindset of an adult. She is right to be cautious especially the Way this world is. Men can be trafficked too.

3 Likes

He doesn’t need your permission. He’s 18 years old.

Honestly if it doesn’t feel right it probably is. I say if you can afford it go with him.

I would just make sure he has a plan… Ie: where he is going to stay, how he is going to get around, how much money he has for food and other stuff while he is there. I also would just ask him to FaceTime with this girl so you can meet her and get her contact info in case you can’t reach him, etc. Also I would want to know how old she is and if she is under 18 does her mom know? Is her mom okay with all of this.

Does he video chat with her? Does he know she’s a real girl and not some perv hiding behind a screen? If he knows for sure it’s a real female that he video chats with with. If he does… I think you can let him go… just ask him to keep in touch with you so you know he’s safe. By a phone call so you hear his voice, or if by text. Have a simple code word only the two of you know… and make sure he tells you all the details of where he’s staying… just make him feel secure in you trusting him so he will be open and honest with you. You Don’t want to stop him from going… that could have very bad results… agree with stipulations…

1 Like

I understand your concern. It does sound fishy. Unfortunately there’s not much you can do, as he’s 18. As his sister, maybe just calmly tell him since he’s meeting someone he met online that you’d like to go with him, NOT to interfere but to be there if something doe occur.

1 Like

I would suggest that he invites her to come to him to meet.
With all of the scamming going on and teenagers being kidnapped keep him safe. This allows them to truly meet if she is what she has told him. The relationship can move forward from there if it’s all real. You offer a layer of protection for both.

2 Likes
  1. He’s your brother, not your child.
  2. He’s an adult.

I understand you lost your mom and your dad is hard to deal with, so you’ve probably stepped into the parenting role with him, but if that’s a role you’ve taken on, then you should know that the role is about teaching and guiding. Not controlling. He’s 18 years old. If he can afford the flight and accommodations himself, and can feed himself while gone, that’s really all that he needs. If you want to ensure he has enough money, either loan him some extra cash or help him earn some extra cash before he goes. Have him leave the details of where he’s going to be and this girls information with you, just as a safety precaution and let him go.

My daughters will be 19 in August. They both live at home, but they’re adults now. They’re free to come and go as they please. They have been 4-7 hours from home on their own, driving. Out of respect and to provide peace of mind, they let us know where they’re going. They leave hotel details etc. But they just go. One trip, one of them backed into another vehicle. That was a lesson they had to learn. Another trip, they lost the only key to their car. Another lesson.

How about you drive him it’s just 4 hours… shoot we drive for 11 hours a day.

2 Likes

Honestly stuff like that scares me these days with all the human trafficking and missing kids, maybe go with him his first time. Not necessarily to the girls house but at least be in the same area in case he needs you.

1 Like

Does he know if she’s real? video chat?Drive him…just in case…w weirdos and trafficking…you never know.

2 Likes

Whatever you do make sure the girl hes going to see is 18. He don’t need no charges because she is a minor. I’ve seen some girls lie badly on their ages and then the guy gets in trouble once her parents find out.

2 Likes

Invite to pay her to come visit if that can’t happen go with him. just to make sure it’s real and then let him be. If she is real he is 18 so you have no control he needs to live but instinct is telling u otherwise.

2 Likes

He’s a grown man….he doesn’t need your approval. However I’d be very worried about him traveling to meet a perfect stranger

1 Like

If he has enough money to do that, he can pay for her to come here. There are probably real people and relationships developed online. I personally have only heard horror stories.

1 Like

Unfortunately at 18 you don’t have a choice unless he under your care by court order

1 Like

Go with him, or let him go alone!! Could be a nightmare or a beautiful love story! Gotta let him go!

1 Like

Go with your gut or go with him may be
Make sure he can be tracked

1 Like

So you can’t tell him he can’t go, but you can offer to go with him for safety reasons and moral support.

3 Likes

So he wasn’t around and it was an issue and now he’s around and it’s an issue? Not being funny just trying to find out the issue

I’m truly sorry for your loss, but if your heart is telling you no go with it’s probably God saying this isn’t the right path he needs to travel. Praying for you both.

1 Like

I’d go with him or offer to have her come to him.

2 Likes

Lost me at let an 18 year old do anything. Wish him a safe flight and give him some pepper spray I guess

1 Like

Not ur choice he’s 18

That just sounds scary too many sickos in the world pretending to be younger. But he’s 18 years old so legally you don’t really have any say

Why don’t you suggest he send her the airplane ticket to her.

First of all, you’re not his mom and second hes 18. So even if you were you have no say lmfao

The only thing that would worry me is that it’s a “girl he met online “ cause it could totally be a dangerous older person grooming him.

1 Like

Hes 18, legally he can do what he wants. You can offer to go with him but you can’t stop him from going. So it’s not a matter of should you. It’s his choice.

1 Like

He’s 18, you have no say even if you had custody of him

It’s not like he’s leaving the country absolutely “let him” travel, get lost in an airport ,stop and ask directions, try to find the baggage claim
It’s all part of adulting and gaining some independence

Should yoy let him go? He’s an adult, he can do as he pleases.

1 Like

Take him! 4 hours each way is much cheaper than never seeing him again! Besides polite to the female if she is ? Hope not traffickers

Nop don’t let him go on his own x

1 Like

These people are crazy!!! You are watching out for him, if you feel like something is wrong dont do it!!!

5 Likes

He’s 18, so really you have no power to stop him. :woman_shrugging:t4: also I met my partner of 10 years online. Not everyone online is a catfish. Have they FaceTimed? Are they meeting in a public place? Has he verified any of the things she’s told him to be true(google is your friend! And there is nothing wrong with verifying public information! they do it on the show catfish all the time.:joy:) Maybe let him know you’re worried about him, but want to be supportive and offer to go with him this first time to ensure everyone’s safety?

If he refuses, maybe ask him if he will agree to share his location so you know where he is if something goes wrong? But again he’s legally an adult so that’s all you can do. Otherwise you have to step back and accept he’s an adult.

1 Like

He is 18,but I am sure you still see him as your baby brother.I would talk to him give him some advise we live in a cruel world where this can literally be fake there has been so many stories about people meeting people online and get killed,robbed and traffickers not saying this is the case perhaps it can be the real girl.I suggest you let him know the good and the bad and you might want to offer going with him if possible and try to meet at a safe place.

1 Like

Make a holiday out of it… however, stay somewhere else but close enough if needed and just keep your nose out of the personal side of it.

Yes! He’s 18! Is this even a real question!?

Let him go. He is 18. Just ask him to keep you in the loop with flight, hotel, etc. so you know somewhat where he is and he can can you if he need help.

I let my son go to michigan from ca.last summer to meet a girl.hes 17.i talked to mom extensively.paid for a background check and made him earn the money working at McDonald’s.trip there was uneventful he had a great time.on the way back his flight was cancelled.ended up stranded in vegas overnight.luckily his dad had an old friend there that came to his rescue.alaskan airlines never reimbursed us for the new flight and i aged 10 years in 24 hrs.but he had the time of his life.

1 Like

He’s 18, but if you are overly concerned this is potentially a dangerous situation, then join him. Once you have confirmed that he’s safe with her, then disappear and do your own thing. I would personally just keep in HEALTHY constant communication with him when he’s gone. Let him know if he needs more money you’ll e-transfer him.

3 Likes

18 is far from grown !!! What can you do at 18 not much but if he is paying and wants to go let him

He’s 18 you really can’t stop him contact her mom first

1 Like

Personally l would discourage him. The fact you didn’t know about the girl until now is a big red flag. Do a little detective work, at the very least, ask to speak to her and her parent/guardian on a video call. 18 or not, people are cat fished all the time. Given his past anxieties it sounds as if he may not make the most sensible decisions. I hope it is all ok, but better safe than sorry.

He doesn’t need your permission. Let him live his life. Everyone lives & learns.

2 Likes

You’re not his mother and he’s legally an adult good luck trying to stop him

1 Like

This lad went on his own and is missing

I’d go with him, be there when they meet. It’s a crazy world out there and he doesn’t know it yet. This could be a catfish. People go missing all the time. He still needs some safety protocols in place.

5 Likes

l get paid over $177 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18657 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info. https://amazingearning775.pages.dev/

I’d do some checking and if nothing else go with him rent a hotel room stay close but don’t interfere but a safety net for him if he feels the need.

1 Like

Strongly encourage him to video chat with her and her mother. Join him if possible to discuss logistics only. This should help you confirm if the situation is legit.

2 Likes

Listen if you are concerned, go along with him just for support stay at a distance but in the end you have to let him do his thing.

2 Likes

You would NOT let him. The person he is talking to could be a creep a man after a boy u should NOT Let him go. I you read about stuff like this all the time. Tell him ask boy to come to where he is at lives etc only safe thing to try. I wish I could let him go. But I can’t it happens every day with meeting guys and girls online. It’s a big risk to many perverts out there

2 Likes

Cut down the middle he flies two hours she goes two hours u chaperone!

For his safety I say no. There’s a lot of creepy people who pretend to be someone else’s online.

He’s an adult now. And he’s your brother, not your child. For you to attempt any sort of control over his life at this point is a bit pretentious. I realize you have his best interests at heart, and that alone is a blessing many people don’t have from siblings after becoming adults. You gotta let him live his life, making his own choices, and only offer help when he needs it… and let him ask.

3 Likes

Hell no it’s probably a 50 year old man. Tell her she can visit him and pay for her flight to him

He’s 18. Which makes him an adult. You can’t stop him from going anywhere

1 Like

Not trying to be the downer but I am from the area where Sydney Loofe lived and what happened to her was horrific. 18 or not meeting a stranger you met online is a potentially dangerous situation and I would make plans to travel with him, stay some where separate but close by and always be kept in the loop. If he doesn’t feel like checking in constantly at least use an app where you can see his location.

To all those saying he’s 18 you can’t stop him. It’s not about stopping him, she’s coming from a place of concern because this could end badly. If you don’t believe it, just look into the case I mentioned above.

You have every right to take caution make sure you verify the age of the girl.

2 Likes

There is no “let”. He can legally make his own choice to and he is not your child.

He’s 18. Leave him be.

Is he paying for it ? Let him go

I’d have her fly to him, or if he’s set on going then you could fly with him and site see so he has alone time but make sure you know the address of where he’s going just in case. 18 is a adult, and you’re his sister not his parent, so you can’t stop him but you can let him know your worries and that you just want to be there close by in case. There’s lots of weirdos out there, have they talked on the phone, video chatted etc to see she’s actually a girl and not some old man?

Noooooooo heck noooooooo It’s probably a man on the Internet in his late 50s trying to kidnap him

7 Likes

Has he video chatted her? Has he verified it is actually her? You can’t stop him from going, but you can voice your conerns

2 Likes

Maybe just give him safety tips and explain how you’re feeling. I met my now husband on world of Warcraft in 2010 and we met for the first time in 2013. He of course flew to me and we met at the airport. I felt that was a safe place and also my sister went with me to the airport. Then him and I stayed at a hotel for the weekend. We’re now married and we don’t regret it for a minute.

He is 18 and can do what he wants

Should you ‘let him’? He’s 18, he doesn’t need your permission. It’s not smart. But he’s not thinking with his brain. The most you can do is warn him if the dangers & tell him you’re worried.

Uh he’s an adult, let him go, let him make his possible mistakes.

Oh sheeeesh…he’s an 18 year old adult. Ultimately he gets to make his own decision but you could offer to be there for him as his sister. Suggest maybe meeting her in a busy well lit area. That’s the best you can do.

1 Like

Yea even if he’s 18 I’d say no but give him another option. Have her fly out to you guys. It’s a lot of catfishing going on and this world is crazy.

Go with him else he might just run off

He’s an adult. He doesn’t need your permission.

2 Likes

You can’t really stop him as he’s legally able to just go. Buuuut I would be so worried wanting him to contact me daily just so I know he’s safe. Safety advise and catfishing scenarios and even some scenarios about how to keep him safe in case this person is not right in the head once he gets there.

Not enough information on her. He is 18 and if he has to ask you to go then he ain’t ready to make his own decisions. You could go with him. You know your brother and his maturity level. I had three boys and 18 years old does not mean diddly! Video chat, mean the mother etc.

OK I understand that he is 18 and ultimately his choice but I completely understand where she’s coming from. Sometimes people online are not who they say they are etc. and she was looking out for him

4 Likes

Let him? Unless he’s on probation, he doesn’t have to have anyone’s permission.

2 Likes

18 is an adult… there’s no “letting” at that point

3 Likes

It’s not your choice anymore, hes 18, period!

1 Like

As someone who met someone online at a young age, ur right in wanting to protect him. I was 15/16 when I met my kids dad online. I was about 17 when we met in person the first time. He lived 13 hours from us so our moms decided to meet halfway. Can u maybe travel with him but like keep distance? Just to make sure it’s legit. Or ask to face time with the girl for reassurance? So many murders and trafficking happen this way and YES it happens to men too. Good for you for looking out for him!

4 Likes

He’s literally an adult.

1 Like

Yes he is 18 doesn’t mean he doesn’t need to be looked out for sometimes. I’d say if possible for him to arrange a meeting on a weekend and if possible maybe you can go with him. Not necessarily to the meeting part but driving or traveling to get there you could. May be some good sister/brother bonding time too.

5 Likes

He’s 18 there’s nothing you can do about it. Let him live his own life or he will leave and never come back. Just be there for him.

What if this girl is underage. He could end up getting charged with things that could ruin his life. Too much risk. I bring this up because of an experience my nephew had. Not a good idea. Use the money for something better

1 Like

I would just make sure he knows what he’s doing. Have they FaceTime and he knows it’s really her? Not just pictures. I’d hate for him to get catfished or kidnapped or something

3 Likes

You should go with him or give him some more money to go. Sounds like he is going with or without permission.

1 Like

If he lives in your house and you are supporting him he should respect your decision, Go with your gut feeling

2 Likes

Never met her ,if his had no confirmation it’s 100% her I don’t care if his 18,my son is 18 and I wouldn’t let him ,could be a catfish murderer lol

2 Likes

Technically he doesn’t need your permission to go. He’s 18. Nothing you can do about it.

1 Like

I would go with him and support him and meet her and if you feel good about it leave and go do some if you don’t at least talk to him about it . I came from Elpaso Tx and met my guy I’m with been with hiM 15 years now :blue_heart:. Good Luck :four_leaf_clover:

You’re overprotective of him as an adult but you allowed him to be bullied as a child?

1 Like