Should I let my son's mother visit?

My son’s mother wants to visit the week after Christmas into the new year. His father and I are not together, and his father is not involved in his life, but his mother (my son’s grandmother) has been since day one. She was his babysitter and spoiled him as a grandmother should. We moved out of state about a year and a half ago. She called just the other day and told me she had been crying herself to sleep, missing him. She now wants to come to visit to spend time with him (he is five and remembers her), which I am fine with. But I worry about covid still being high for her health as she is older. What should I do? Should I tell her not to come, or should I let her come and risk it?

35 Likes

I would let her make the decision about her health instead of u worrying about it. If she wants to come and ur comfortable with her let her come

6 Likes

I would ask her to wait.

I mean it’s up to her if she wants to risk it or not.

2 Likes

If she’s willing to isolate somewhere for 2 weeks after travelling to you guys to see your son then sure why not. I wouldn’t bring anyone around my kids they haven’t seen in a long time right now. Not worth the risk imo.

3 Likes

I would personally let her visit if she’s wanting to see him.

1 Like

It’s up to her if she wants to come

Let her come, she has thought about the risks and it’s worth it to her…

2 Likes

By the way this is written it feels more as though you just don’t want her to come and Covid is the best excuse you have. Perhaps do some soul searching and figure out why you wouldn’t want her to, unless you already know. In that case, weigh your options and make the best choice for everyone involved.

9 Likes

Unless she was willing to isolate for 2 weeks before and after, I would say that’s a high risk.

1 Like

Am I really dumb or is anyone else confused who the mother of this child is? Like - I don’t know if she means a bio mom or a grandma

40 Likes

Personally, I would tell her to wait. Even my young healthy brothers aren’t coming to visit my family which they haven’t seen in over a year. They haven’t even met their nephew, but covid is still a big issue so the risk of infection has put visiting on hold. We Skype call or video chat instead whenever possible.

1 Like

Let her. It will donthem both some good

2 Likes

ask her to get a test as close to leaving as possible ( if you are worried) Ask her to be careful wear a mask wash her hands / sanitizes and let her come.

1 Like

In my opinion, i would let her as longer as she is not running a fever or sick. If she is missing the grandchild that much, i would give her the opportunity to visit. Like this year has shown us, you never known when God is calling us home.

3 Likes

Let her visit. The hour isn’t promised let alone tomorrow. That’s her granbaby. Separation and depression is harder. I’m a grandmother I know. I’m not kept from mine. It’s her decision to make not yours based on her health, she told you she is crying herself to sleep. That’s a grief when you don’t see and spend time with your family. Harder on her than any of this going on.

3 Likes

I would let her come!! She just loves him and clearly you guys have an okay relationship if she knows the risks just be extra careful for her when she’s there

2 Likes

Wait. It’s not worth the health risk

1 Like

Let her judge her health…

If you’re worried about just her health, don’t. She knows the risks and she’s willing to take the risks to see him. I’m sure it’s been hard on her since you said she was his babysitter and they must have had a close bond.
I don’t think it would be fair to either of them to deny the visit…
My kids are very close with their grandma, their dads mom, she watches them while I work. If I were to move away I would want to make sure that they could still have a close relationship with her…

2 Likes

Shes only alive once. It’s already been a year and a half. If we all waited for covid to disappear that’ll be ages away and who is to say she will be here then.

2 Likes

The more people who love and want to be involved with your child the better! I would definitely let her see him. Take precautionary measures of course because of Covid but no reason why a grandmother shouldn’t be able to see her grandson.

2 Likes

Also, figure out ways for them to remain bonded. Skype, zoom, duo, whatever. My son has one grandparent who is in his (barely) life and it sucks! If she’s that devastated in missing him then work on not letting it get that bad.

3 Likes

She did babysit your child & spoiled him or her when she didn’t have to. I’m sure she wouldn’t be risking her own health to go see your child if she couldn’t or felt bad. Be grateful she’s called yoy being that you’ve moved away most wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Let her visit. Unless she has a fever, cough, etc

1 Like

I would allow the visit. Wear a mask, wash hands and all that if you are worried.

we need to stay home i wish we could have a contest on witch state could get their numbers lower

2 Likes

If your worried about your family ask her to get a covid test. On the same hand the people in your house should as well.
I would let her come! That is your child’s grandmother! I take my kids to see their grandparents at least once a week. It is the highlight of their week. I know how much my parents miss thier grandkids & they see them once a week. I can only imagine what your child’s grandmother feels like. Talk to her see what she’s comfortable with doing.

3 Likes

We only live once… and if you got the virus any other way which I believe we all bound to get it one way or another might as well live life now. If she is a good grandma why not she is more at risk for covid then you or your kids. And you will make her day

10 Likes

we have canceled our Christmas and I will drop off presents

1 Like

If covid is your only reservation then let her worry abt her own health

Let her come you never know when the really the last time you’ll see her

2 Likes

Sorry but she didn’t “spoil him as a grandmother should” she spoiled him because she loved him and she wanted to!
It’s obvious that she wants a relationship with him and tbh I think they both (her and your son) deserve to have it.
If it is within the Covid guidelines & she knows the risks and how to best stay safest whilst visiting I don’t see why you wouldn’t let her?

5 Likes

Let her make the decision for her own health. She could die next week and you’d wish she had come to visit.

2 Likes

Judging by so many comments here, it’s pretty clear why Covid-19 is out of control in most parts of the world. You’re not selfish or even unreasonable to be concerned. You should be. We all should. Thousands are dying. It’s a global pandemic! Virtual options exist to communicate.

6 Likes

I say let her come. If she isn’t worried about it, don’t stress yourself over it.

1 Like

Poor grandma.I love my grandsons so much even if the boys parents parted.It means the world to have a grandchild to most of us who want to be there because we love them.Please be kind in your decision

My thing is if you were in her shoes, how would you want someone to treat you? If she hasn’t seen him in such a long time and that’s the only piece that your son has of his father. At least the good side, I get you’re nervous and that’s okay. However imagine your son moving out of state one day with your grand babies, would you hope he would let you see them to?

2 Likes

So you tell her as long as she gets tested for the covid and the test is-

1 Like

Yes! I’ve known several blended families that have been able to get ex’s with their new so and grands together. Be happy for the kiddos sake :heart:

1 Like

How is she traveling? If by car I’d say OK. Have you both been following CDC guidelines and minimizing your exposure? Do either of you work in the health care field or other profession with high exposure? What is the infection rate in your and her areas? Are any of you immunocompromised? Are you in a location where you can spend lots of time outside or with the windows open?

Be safe and don’t expose yourself unnecessarily and I think it would be fine to have her visit. Test everyone just beforehand if possible. It would be therapeutic for all to have a reunion.

2 Likes

Ask your son . Its his grandma and she was a big part of his life till you moved. Might be a GREAT Christmas gift.
As for coviod . I work in retail and belive its a God thing. If I’m going to get it I will, also I will spread just by all the things I touch and move during my work day.
I have a 60 year old sister . I will visit every chance I get. Better her see people she loves and die knowing it that locked away in her home , safe and alone.

2 Likes

Its her choice she misses him ,she loves your boy ,tell her to be careful and wear a mask to protect herself and stay a safe distance from people ,people need love in their life ,young and old ,merry xmas

1 Like

Oh my let the grandma come.

2 Likes

Absolutely you should allow her to visit.

1 Like

She is at her own risk if she wants to come then let her

Let her come if she wants .

1 Like

If she’s willing to take the risk I would. I’d want to see my grandkid. It’d be worth it to me.

4 Likes

Ask for negative Covid test, then sure.

5 Likes

Let her come. Take all necessary precautions, yes, but I think you should let her see him.

1 Like

Tomorrow is not promised to any of us. Please let her come visit❤️

1 Like

I wouldn’t…not only do you pose a risk to her she can pose one for you as well. Would she be traveling on a plane? Is it a high risk state? Not trying to be paranoid here…but the cases are rising. Do what’s in your gut.

I’m with everyone else. Pending negative covid tests, let her visit please.

3 Likes

Let her come! She’s the one at higher risk. Even if she had a negative COVID test right now, that wouldn’t mean she wouldn’t get exposed during travel. Let grandma come visit!

I speak from very personal experience with COVID. My son (6.5) and I live with my parents. My dad got COVID through some of his family at a poorly planned get together for Thanksgiving. 6 of them got it in all. My mom and I had been exposed (obviously) to my dad so we got tested on day 5 and were negative. Long story short: my mom tested positive today on day 25. Been sick since day 16.

Nothing is guaranteed. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

I am that grandmother like her. It’s killing me. But seeing those refrigerated trucks with dead bodies on the news and Dr. Faucci saying stay home…especially if you want to go out of state…I am staying home. I want to see them next year…and the next year…hugs I understand. My kids are helping me to accept reality :heart::heart:

1 Like

Yes! Just express your concern and let her decide.

1 Like

i would let her come i have 2 grandkids whos mother will not let my son or i see them and i would give eveyrthing i owned to see them

2 Likes

Tell her your concerns regarding her health. Let her decide. If necessary have covid tests done before she arrives and follow the CDC guidelines whenever possible. Have a wonderful visit.

Ask her to get tested if you’re worried about COVID

I would leave the decision to her since she’s putting her self more at a risk. Also I would suggest a negative test and if she could stay at a hotel so at least you can have some distance

Let them all see each other. Give love and you will receive love. Don’t hold grudge on anyone. The child will judge by himself when time will come…

1 Like

Yes u definitely should. Cant fear the virus forever or you’ll miss special time together.

6 Likes

Lmao okay but what grandma cries for a child that is not theirs :thinking:

1 Like

Oooh thats a tricky one. Just because of covid. I wanna say let her see him ya know but that’s a big risk. Maybe she can get a covid test before she leaves where she is at? Or get one when she gets there but before she sees him?

1 Like

Has she had a test done? She could get one before she comes just to make sure and well like always take necessary precautions. Maybe both wear masks while in contact and sanitize like usual.

1 Like

If you’re worried, she can self quarantine before coming to your house or she can take a covid test.

2 Likes

I would let her come and see him…we are never promised tomar and with her crying herself to sleep if it were me and something did happen to her I would feel sooo guilty that she didn’t get to see her grandson & knowing that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Your sons mother? Or your sons grandmother?

14 Likes

If you are fine with her staying, let her be responsible for her own health and choose her own risks.

8 Likes

If she isn’t toxic let her. There’s nothing like a grandmom. idk if I’d want her staying in my home but it’s not my house to decide that.

Your sons mother? Wouldnt that be you?

11 Likes

I read this 3 times and I am still so confused …

10 Likes

The time to spend together is precious. The child will remember this always. Precautions with coronavirus can be taken and the visit will do them both good

I believe its the dad’s mother

Gramma is essential famjly is everything. Dont fear “covid” . I’ve lived my life the way I did prior to this HELL

4 Likes

I’m assuming this is about grandma, and you’re the mom…? But I say she’s grown and in charge of her own health and choices. If you’re comfortable with her staying, then go for it. Some have a really hard time around the holidays and she could be one of them.

2 Likes

I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out why it says “my sons mother” - wouldn’t that be you? I was too confused to read the rest. :joy::woman_shrugging:

139 Likes

Let grandma come. Your house will enjoy her visit:)

2 Likes

Life is short let them see each other shes a grown women knows the risks

4 Likes

Everyone is at risk. An old high school friend just passed from it. I am 37.

3 Likes

Covid test and quarantine. My kids go to daycare… there fine but def play it safe

1 Like

Confused? Your sons mother? And grandmother?

3 Likes

My children had to visit their grandmother for the last time before she passed away, “natural causes” through a window. They will always remember that they didn’t get to hug her one last time or have a proper goodbye. Therefore, let her come and see him and enjoy this time as we are never promised tomorrow. I take precautions like wearing masks, sanitizing, washing hands, but I’m also going to live my life and let my children live theirs!

5 Likes

Discuss the risks with her and let her decide. My kids grandmother (their fathers mother) has health concerns, but she hadn’t seen her grandchildren in over 6 months, we briefly discussed health concerns surrounding covid and her health in particular, she decided she wanted to see them, so I told her she was more than welcome to. They had a nice visit and the kids were glad to spend time with her.

1 Like

I dont understand after reading like 5 times :woman_facepalming:

12 Likes

Let her come see him…:heart::heart::heart:

it looks like there was a typo. She wants to know if her son’s grandmother can come visit

the grandmother comes from the father. It is the father’s mother.

she and the father have nothing to do with each other, but his mother / her son’s grandmother has been very supportive and a positive presence in their life

but with coronavirus, she is concerned about the advisability of letting this wonderful woman come visit

3 Likes

So your sons father mum wants too visit ? If she’s been in sons life since day 1 and hasn’t done nothing wrong then YES 100% Also check covid rules for this

3 Likes

My sons mother … and trying to read this 10 times over I can’t even figure this out … I actually have a headache … “ my sons mother “ :thinking:

7 Likes

Would you rather her die with a broken heart, or be sick for a couple weeks with a 98% survival rate?

3 Likes

Grandma gets to see him and you get a break

2 Likes

Yes, let her visit. Kids need their Grandparents.
It would break my heart if I didn’t get to see my grands. It’s great that you have maintained a relationship with her.

You only have one life! That’s all imma say with times like these

2 Likes

LOL this was posted in another group I’m in and we were so confused there too.

1 Like

No,no,no unless it’s just a day visit from afar

2 Likes

Man some of y’all slow asf :joy:

1 Like

Ask her to take a rapid COVID test and then y’all can go from there, if she has no symptoms I wouldn’t worry to much about it tbh! It’s sweet she misses him so much and wants to be there. I would allow it, that would be an experience your son would never forget! Memories are everything to children and this virus isn’t going away. It’s worth the risk to me, we never know how much time we have with our loved ones🥰

2 Likes

Let her come,covid will always be around and were not living life in fear and yes we’ve dealt with it ourselves plus me while pregnant but our families on my side and my husbands side whose always known each other has already said were still getting together for the holidays and having us a baby shower with atleast 60 attending. covid isn’t a excuse to not let her come just like the media tries and wants to scare everybody about it and yes people have died,etc but nobodys going to die unless its their time so were enjoying our lives as when its our time to die than we will.

7 Likes

As long as the grandmother has no. Signs of Covid. You can visit. Her…

1 Like

Makr sure everybody get tested and y’all should be fine wear a mask

1 Like