Should I take away soccer since my son isn't doing well in school?

I feel physically activity is just as important as education.I wouldn’t take away an activity that lets him burn off energy, that engages him with others, has to learn to listen and to work with others in this sport…I would take away tv time /phones /tablets…maybe an earlier bedtime…maybe make a plan to do something fun but only do a family outing/activity if he starts helping out more …as for school have you considered a tutor some kids learn at different levels …some learn by reading some learn by doing… how is taking away something that keeps him active helping him learn do better in school

6 Likes

My pediatrician once told me “never punish or take them away from something that is a positive influence on their lives”

Soccer is positive, being part of a team is positive, being coachable is positive.

6 Likes

I came from that when I was younger … it took one season of not being able to participate and I actually tried in school… now if my grandma could tell I was actually trying and still not getting the grade I could still play but it was when I wasn’t trying wasn’t doing anything at home etc then I got pulled all together and I had to go outside and pick up sticks and shovel cow poop till I decided to listen or try :upside_down_face: I’m not sure if you live on a farm but you could give it a shot :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Martial arts of some kind! It will help channel some of that energy and teach him self discipline self control and a valuable life skill

No. That’s not just punishing him but his team. Please don’t take away positives in his life. This could just be a phase he’s only 8. That being said you are his mother and I get being frustrated. Take a breather and just talk to him maybe something is going on.

1 Like

Kids are not active enough these days so i wouldnt take his sports away id find something else he likes to do n take that away for example i take my kids devices off them or turn the wifi off works for me even if it does take time they wont get it back til they prove they have learnt their lesson.

4 Likes

Kid’s sometimes learn more outside of the classroom especially now…

1 Like

Could it be there is a social problem at school like bullying? Something he doesn’t feel comfortable sharing but obviously causing him to lash out?

1 Like

I honestly think you taken it way to far. 8 years old not 18 years old.

4 Likes

Talk to him.try to find out why he is angry.what he wants,what he needs.talking is always the best way to learn and connect.

Have you had him checked out for learning difficulties etc
Don’t be too hard on him till you know it is just him being lazy
Thought the same thing with my granddaughter (I have custody) and now at the age of 12 we have found out there is a medical reason for her struggling with school work and I have been advised to bring sport back into her life as a release
Wishing you all the best :purple_heart:

1 Like

He’s 8 years old let him be a kid and enjoy his childhood playing soccer!! He’s got plenty of time to catch up on learning the poor boy! I hate the pressure kids get put under all the time they deserve happy stress free childhoods full of fun and laugher doing the things they love! Education isn’t everything many people have become successful without it…

7 Likes

Giving a child an outlet is a good thing, playing a sport like soccer encourages team behaviour and helps burn up the excess energy and frustrations. Taking that away will create more issues for you at home (no outlet to release the frustration) IMO some kids are more active then academic they learn hands on instead of out of a book, if he’s not listening try the good old trick of “you can play soccer once you show me you can clean your room and do your chores for 14 days” use a point system ie 1 point for taking the rubbish out 5 points for walking the dog have a tally board and when it gets to say 50 he can play soccer or start small 10points an hour of video games and build up from there. Rewarding the good behaviour is just as importantly punishing for bad. Keep you head up and straighten your crown it’s all trial and error and it’s different for all children nothing is every wrong it’s just finding what is right for you and your child.

4 Likes

You should take away electronics (TV, phone, computer games) not the outdoors. That’s how he stays healthy.

12 Likes

IMO!!
You are not doing anything bad mom! You did the right thing by taking away certain things, like soccer, if he is not doing well in school. Especially if his behavior is out of control. Do not feel that way honey. Talk with him, don’t hit him, talk. Most parents might say talking does not help but it really does. Let him know until he gets better in his classes and helps at home he will earn his things back.

1 Like

I wouldn’t take away physical activity but it may be that he’s not being challenged enough or given age appropriate responsibilities? Just a thought.

1 Like

I sucked at Math.
I sucked at English.
My parents pressured me so much about getting good grades. Which I understand as a parent myself.

But it caused me to drop out because of a whirl wind of emotions. All I wanted to do was listen to/make music. Draw and paint. Take photographs and talk to people. Explore.

I went back to graduate, because I finally reached a point where I could handle it for what it was. My plan B.

And today, I am an artist.

So coming from me, I fully believe in trusting your passion. And if your sons passion is to be an athlete, don’t take that away from him.

Instead, aid him.

Get a tutor, take him to talk to college teachers for a better understanding of what it takes to be an athlete, help him explore his passions.

Dont rid him of something he might love.

5 Likes

:-1: mental health is declining of course your sons grades are going down, most of the children across the country are the same. YOU are not a teacher and cannot give the same input, its been almost impossible for parents. Support your son, see what you can do to help encourange him to talk and ask him to explain where he is struggling, he is probably worring about how far behind he is falling and giving up. Start a homework club with his mates at yours with a pizza or chips night but make sure they’re working together get one of the mom’s or dad or older siblinggs in each subject to help, if this is possible check with his friends parents if they’re having same problems what you could do together :heart:

There are many thing you can fo yo help your child but taking away a sport where they have something positive is not the right move. Speak to his coach perhaps he can help even footballers need grades

This is not a criticism xxx good luck

It’s a privilege to be in sports, not an entitlement. You are not a bad mom for trying to put his education first. Too many kids these days feel too intitled and need to be brought down a few notches. Stick to your guns.

2 Likes

Sounds like a great plan did it with my girls worked a treat

1 Like

The punishment be should match the crime. If school he is struggling be with soccer isn’t the issue. He is 8 so tell him education is important and you need to work a little harder so you can continue the sport because in high school grades matter with eligibility. But right now if he struggles with school work it’s where you need to work more with him and talk to teachers about his strength or weakness and what you can do to help him improve. Soccer will help his focus and work with a team. If you shut him out if outdoor activities then your creating a bored child with no outlet for his built up energy

2 Likes

I think taking away a sport would be my last option. First I would talk to his teachers see if theres something that’s happening there(bullying,not understanding the work) anything that would all of a sudden make him not listen in school and at home. I’m in Canada and our children have been flip flopping between in school learning and virtual. I have a 9 year old girl and she’s now in counseling because of anxiety and depression. This pandemic has done some awful things to kids mental health. Its hard to see a smart beautiful girl go from loving life to being a depressed anxious girl and I cant fix it. So no judgement on you at all I was just giving you something to consider. Good luck to you and Sterling.

8 Likes

Sport is as important to ensure they are more well rounded. Don’t take soccer away. Work on it some other way…

2 Likes

Have you had him tested for dyslexia, don’t take away the sport it’s an outlet for anger, frustrations, etc

1 Like

Some kids are just better at certain things than others ?? Maybe school isnt what he’s best at Not everyone is academically smart or enjoys it

Check him out for learning difficulties. And give back soccer practice, it gives him something to focus on… Xxx

Football might be some form of outlet for him if he’s struggling. Maybe look into whether he has any difficulties? Maybe somethings bothering him at home or at school? I agree kids need to be shown consequences of their actions but if Football is an activity he likes I’d let him because of the benefits. Exercise, fresh air, team work etc.

I have always been one for NOT taking away their extra curricula activities, or there personal toy. If I have to punish I always take away their ipad!

Ok wait a minute a parent should make sure is his homework is done he’s only 8. And to me taking sports away isn’t the way to go. Sports help with discipline and structure.

38 Likes

My daughter can be a terror at home. But I make her go to her cheerleading and gym classes (not old enough for school so we pay for a kids gym). I let her run around outside and play. I think this year just, all of school is hard and especially anybody doing it online, it’s just a super hard year. My niece and nephew are 7 and 10 trying to do online school and it’s been a fight with/for them to be able to do school this year. They say limit screen time for kids but then make school a screen.

3 Likes

I don’t think soccer is the problem here unless his soccer practice is seriously limiting the time he has for doing homework. He is only 8. At that point in life, it is up to you to make sure he is getting school work finished. I wouldn’t assume soccer is the problem so limiting soccer is not the answer. If you are going to take something away, take away screen time. Plenty of kids have organizational issues at that age. Talk to his teacher.

3 Likes

I dont think I would take a sport away. My daughter has been having trouble getting her work done too. She’s also 8. So I’ve ben setting aside a bit of time every evening to sit with her and go over all of her assignments to make sure everything is done and correct

11 Likes

I would focus on his strengths and reward those rather than punish and remove things that help him to cope which I would think his soccer would. Sometimes we get stuck in feeling we need to punish but find when we dont but spent our energy on rewarding the good things, they step up to and do try harder with other things they know matter to us …good luck…you can do this…

4 Likes

Have you sat down and talked to your son? He may be feeling overwhelmed and having a hard time dealing with COVID-19. He needs to say how he is feeling and why he can’t get his work done. Did something happen? Maybe he just needs more one on one time with you. My son from the age of 6 to 10(now) had a hard time communicating about how he was feeling especially after dealing with his teacher dying unexpectedly and both my parents being I’ll then passing away. Then COVID-19 hit and he really shut down. Children are dealing with so much right now and they are holding too much in. Praise him for doing things and build up his confidence. Since soccer is already off the table offer him small goals to achieve. He maybe feeling frustrated with everything. Do things together and make sure he knows you love him and show it! Kind words, hugs, activities together spending time with him. I hope these ideas help.

Imagine someone took something you love from you as a adult then let that feeling be doubled on an 8year old. Its tragic

1 Like

As a soccer coach and parent of an 8 year old- please leave him in soccer! We do so much more than just “play”. So many great things come out of sports, especially at this age, and school has been brutal for all 8 kids this year. Sports feels like the only normalcy we’ve got left - masks, weather & Covid - permitting.

5 Likes

this is a hard one. my son was diagnosed with ADD at age 7 and one thing that worked best for me was keeping him active (soccer, trampoline, running the dogs). it didn’t help his focus or schoolwork, but it helped him release some energy and be less reactive. he’d take extra laps at soccer voluntarily because it felt good. :woman_shrugging:t2: i also made it so that he never lost recess or PE in school. he’s almost 14 now, and he’s passionate about soccer… not so much school. if he was over scheduled or didn’t have time for schoolwork, that’d be one thing. but it sounds like your son just doesn’t DO it, not that there’s a time issue. personally, i wouldn’t take sports away… but at the same time, you gotta get to the bottom of the behavior issues. :disappointed: hang in there, mama!

7 Likes

Taking away a sport is a punishment. I take away screen time, treats but I would never stop him doing football it’s extremely important socially and for his mental and physical health.

2 Likes

I would keep him in soccer so he has an outlet for his energy. Maybe do some sort of reward system for doing good. That worked for my kids. I sat down with my kids and we created a “fun” list for rewards. It included things like … a day trip, the ocean, the park or some other special place; a fun dinner out and ice cream; a movie date; a special toy, etc. I determined what each chore/grade/behavior was worth and kept track on a chart with star stickers. It worked well and eventually it just became a normal thing. But I think sports are a necessary outlet for energy, especially for boys.

4 Likes

I think people assume once a child is no longer in a toddler stage you don’t need to be with them every step of the way anymore. It’s not the norm for an 8 year old to make responsible decisions all on his own. You are literally raising him in order for that to happen one day as an adult. But it takes every single day up until they are adults for you to achieve that success. Instead of getting upset and punishing him for what he ISNT doing instead try talking and acting on daily what he NEEDS to do and WHY he needs to do so. There are reasons for every little thing in life that ultimately grows you into a healthy adult one day. Encourage him to put in the work in his life at school, home, including soccer as well. Taking things away from children who misbehave might seem like the logical approach but that’s only going to make him resent what you are trying to make him do. You don’t need to show your power over your kids for them to know you are in charge. They will listen to what you say if they feel connected to you.

1 Like

My daughter is adhd and has a 33 in one of her classes. She isn’t doing cheer this year bc I’m going through a divorce ($$$) and i am convinced that is a big reason why she is struggling so badly. Keep him in the sport if it is at all feasible

3 Likes

Taking away sports or belongings NEVER improves school results!! Getting him tested to see if he has ADHD or any other learning disability would be the first step!!! Then giving him lots of positive attention and love and sit with him to do homework as a cheerleader and tutor would be more helpful!! Retired teacher, mother of 4, two with learning disabilities, and three grandsons. I KNOW what I am talking about as all 4 kids are now well-adjusted adults with excellent jobs!!!

2 Likes

I’d say think about how he is being taught. Perhaps because his teachers have 29 other kids to teach too they arent giving him the extra time he needs. Its probably not that he isnt trying it’s that he doesn’t no how to figure it out in his head so hes growing up to hate the work. See this all the time in schools the amount of kids that become so frustrated because they do not understand the work and teachers then go around and make out that some children might be ‘young for their age’ just some of the things I’ve heard. The amount if children that tell me they hate school it’s such a shame but in all honesty I can see why they do. I wouldn’t be taking away his football hes young allow him some enjoyment and then maybe have a conversation about his feelings towards his school work and see if there is somthing you both can do to help him in that area.

You need to reward him once he’s had a good day & completed his work!! Dont keep it going for weeks because thats unachievable for a child of 8yrs old. Set daily what he needs to do to get whatever you’ve removed bk! Also sit with him while completing work just to make sure he knows what he’s meant to be doing, he could be struggling. Also cuddles as ur house structure is changing (divorce) emotions are high & at 8 he doesn’t know how to process it all x

1 Like

He could be struggling education wise, school environment issues, home life, etc. So many factors disrupt a child’s learning. Do not take away soccer, please don’t. It helps build structure, team work and discipline.

1 Like

Sports are awesome for kids. Maybe find another punishment. Take away the less active activities. Also I’ve been through this with my son and we make it a point to go over school work daily so there is no falling behind or missed assignments. Daily check ins to make sure it’s done is a nice routine

Personally I wouldn’t take away soccer, kids need that to run around and have fun with their friends and to get any frustrations out. They need to be active. I would call, write or email the school/ teacher and ask for him to have extra help and to get him tested for ADHD, ADD. He might need a tutor or a PE? I would put a limit on tv, tablets, games etc…good luck.

I wouldn’t take away anything that helps him. Soccer will help him. I would consider writing to the school and have a school psychologist evaluate him.

1 Like

I’d have him tested for learning difficulties … some are easily masked until the reach a certain age and then more often then not are missed due to behavioural issues that happen when I child’s educational needs are being meet … and wouldn’t take away things he enjoys . Has can be very frustrating when everyone around you seems to learn something with easy and you just got get it …can be q very isolating and lonely place and more so has most dint no how to express it .has its often put down to early distracted . Lacks motivation and is disruptive! … doesn’t concentrate. All which very often specially combined point to some sort of learning difficulty *

Have broad spectrum testing done. ADD and ADHD are not the only diagnoses out there. It could be a learning disorder or cognitive issues… Don’t immediately jump to punishment. There may be an issue beyond an 8 year olds control that is causing problems.

1 Like

I went through this with my son and I took sports away. Sports are a luxury to kids. If they can’t do their schoolwork, chores, and behave they don’t need to be rewarded with sports. Sports that are paid with by a hard working parent. In school they have to have good grades and good behavior to play, if they don’t they get suspended from games or kicked off the team. My son is ADHD and ODD. He’s now almost 17 and has struggled.

4 Likes

I personally think sports is a great motivator to get good grades because if you want to play then you have to have passing grades.

I would keep soccer. But remove tv, tablets all that stuff.

I alway might try some kind of reward system. Like 30mins of reading and once done then can get 15 mins to play video game or watch tv. ( this one the goal is to get the child to read more)
Or try do all homework before dinner can watch favorite show after dinner.

Or do all your chores without being asked for one week and get to pick a family activity to do together.

Hope some of these help. Good luck!

1 Like

It’s hard as a parent with school year as it is … but I’d let him stay with it as it is a break from him and take away phone and electronic devices

Maybe his teacher and him are having difficulties in a subject. In my experience, I needed the teacher to explain it a different way for me to understand how to do it. My 11 yr old is the same way.

I wouldnt just take the sport away…I mean at home…ya can have like an hour or whatever time u can make to go outside and have like each day a different subject hes not doing good in and put it in with his sport. Worth a try…hes doing what he loves along with studying!
I believe this year…theres alot of kids struggling with school (including mine) either in person or at home schooling with the covid. Just have to find the subjects hes having troubles with and work with him at home. Study more and try and make it fun

In high school (big age difference I know) I started doing poorly in class and on my assignments and struggled to have energy to keep up with my chores. I was on dance team at school and got dropped because I had just one class that I, no matter how hard I tried, couldn’t get my grade up to the high enough % it devastated me so bad I literally just quit trying to keep up in any of my classes because dance was my extra curricular, my sport, my hobby and it gave me a healthy way to release energy and emotions. Sports are like that for a lot of youth no matter the age especially if they have friends in it with them.

1 Like

Wtf is wrong with y’all? He is 8. It is not his responsibility, it’s yours. Also with all the stress from this past year he needs to have fun. Take him to a psychologist. This pandemic has done a number on a lot of kids.

Has he been out of school a lot since the Pandemic started?

I’d never take sports away from my child as punishment game systems cell phone things like that if he’s acting up in school take some PTO time go sit in his class with him show him you be disrespectful and not listen and cut up in school we will be with you til you do act right.

Is he being bullied at school ?..seems like he’s not a happy child, all the best hon…:gift_heart:

sports help the mind and brain develop and helps with school work.

1 Like

No schools been rough this year for everyone

1 Like

Yep… You’re taking it too far.

2 Likes

Do you help him with his homework? Do you do your house hold chores after running around for over an hour? I’m not saying to let him slack on his chores but you are his mother, helping him with what he needs help with isn’t enabling. It’s being a good parent.

2 Likes

Sports are a healthy outlet, so my vote is no. I’ll assume his behavior is in line when engaged with his coach and teammates or he wouldn’t be welcomed there. So, find another way to discipline him more effectively.

1 Like

Take him to see someone. Obviously something is conflicting him. Child do and can have problems, like adults… Though some may seem insignificant to us as adults, they’re still very valid to children. I wouldn’t take soccer away, it could be the only healthy outlet he has left to turn to. Good luck💛

1 Like

Someone of us don’t know where to apply the 1900 buganda agreement :joy::joy::joy:

Whatever you do, don’t stop him from playing soccer.

Get him to a phycologist for an evaluation. There may be a reason he acts how he does. Taking away something he enjoys isn’t going to help. It’s a release. How would you feel if the only thing you loved was taken? If you can’t enjoy life would you “behave”?

If he isnt doing well in classes my child would lose sport for that season. N told keep grades up n next sport season he can play

I might get hate for this but… Sports are important but I’m kinda on the fence about this one. In my house school and chores are the first priorities. If your child is struggling that is one thing but if your child is being defiant that’s completely different. Not listening and destructive behavior are not okay, but they can have underlying causes. My best advice is to figure out what is causing that, maybe talk to his doctor. ADHD can be a big factor in cases like these. HOWEVER, that is not an excuse. I wouldn’t allow my child to do sports if they weren’t actively trying to do their school work, after all in high school you get dropped for not succeeding in your schoolwork. That being said, I would still make sure he gets an appropriate amount of physical activity and gets to spend time outside, (and make sure you’re actively participating in these activities with him) especially if something like ADHD would be a factor in his behavior.

Be a parent not a friend

No, physical activities are just as important as academic ones

3 Likes

Put him back in soccer. Hire a tutor. One of the biggest failures of education is the idea that all children learn alike. Have your son evaluated for a learning disability. Dyslexia can make it very hard for kids to learn. Know someone who cannot learn by reading, she literally has to hear it to get it. So start there, and try some alternate learning methods to see if he gets it better.

1 Like

Eh…
My son is 7 almost 8. We word things differently…he has to “earn” the privilege rather than us taking it away.

He wanted to do soccer this past fall. I wanted to let him but I wanted to make sure that he would 100% stick with it and that nothing else would “suffer”
So the deal was he had two weeks. He needed to do his chores, have a good attitude (particularly when things didn’t go his way), do his nightly reading, follow nightly routine (bathing getting into bed on time), and get up in the mornings without a fight.
Even with prompts and reminders it was still an issue. So he did not get to do soccer.

While physical activities are important…weeknight practices cut into a lot of time. So if your child is struggling to do his homework of a night already this increases the struggle because it decreases the time available.

If it was me, I would set a clear expectation for him to earn getting to do soccer and clear expectations for him to continue. Rather than simply taking it away. It’s an important lesson about making good choices and earning privileges.

5 Likes

It depends if he’s actually trying or if he’s actually struggling. In my opinion I would find something else to take away because that’s a healthy outlet.

Is he a slow learner and needs help with school work? I would check on that, contact his teacher about how he does in class. Being in sports is a great outlet and teaches rules, discipline and how to win and how to lose, how to get along with others, etc.

Your doing the right thing and if he doesn’t Improve it jsut means soccer wasn’t that important to him we told our son if he ate his veges he could play any sport he wanted but he needed to eat veges first to have the energy yeah he still doesn’t eat them so sport can’t be that important

Questions like this are so vague. We don’t know if the parents are actually helping the child. So the problem could start with the parent and not the child. How’s the child’s home life? How is the child acting in school? Is there structure? So many unknowns to give advice.

1 Like

Do not take away an activity that can help regulate mood.Have him assessed for an IEP and get a tutor. Also consider the impact of COVID and factor that in.

I had this same struggle with my son a couple of years ago. I took him out of baseball for a season so that he could focus on school work. What I found was that nothing really changed. It wasn’t about baseball taking too much time or making him lose focus. It was a learning problem that eventually, by working more closely with the school, we were able to work out.
So my suggestion is to not “punish” him by taking away something that could be his passion just because he is struggling with school - it could be completely unrelated.

2 Likes

Some kids are better at sports. He’s 8 we are in a pandemic he’s struggling too

1 Like

Did you take away all other avenues at home first? Even though they might be inconvenient for you and your family, did you take away tablets, phones, TVs? I would hate to think that an activity that could be helpful was taken away while things like tablets and TVs are still being allowed.

1 Like

Do a chore chart and reward him based off the chart. I’ve had to do it with my 6 year old daughter. She likes money so she can buy toys but now that she’s in sports we do the chart different. We have been cooped up inside for a year to kids have struggled to with the pandemic. Everyone’s parenting is different hang in there momma

1 Like

If that’s the only thing he’s doing well In right now why take it away? Maybe he struggles with school and needs extra help studying, focusing etc. I would meet with his teachers and figure out how he can improve

1 Like

He’s 8… let him have his soccer and parents are going to have to work WITH him more on the school work. How is he to learn time management if parents don’t show him its possible!

2 Likes

Since u didn’t mention video games and stuff I’m goin to assume he doesn’t really play that much for it to be something to be taken away.

I would have made a schedule chart … to see that if it was structured and at specific times he had to do things if that would keep him focused :woman_shrugging:t2:

Have you had his hearing and eyes tested ? As my son was not doing well in school and we found out that he is hard of hearing and cant hear the teacher when in class

My daughter is 9 and has showed some signs of a.d.h.d but she is very well behaved in school and gets good grades in the areas that interest her like reading and science but she has struggled in math badly this year so we have worked with her teacher and she tutors a couple kuds a couple afternoons a week my daughter being one but if I was to take soccer :soccer:from her I believe she would decline in school and at home it is a very good outlet for energy and it teaches so much like sportsmanship and patience she breathes soccer and basketball so we tell her how important it is to keep her graded up because the older she gets she will have to have good grades to play and that’s her door to a good college because mommy isn’t rich lol but I would definitely reconsider taking it away completely I have kept her out of a practice or 2 to make a point and haven’t had to do it again so maybe he has learned from this

This year has been hard on alot of kids, just keep encouraging and maybe help him with chores. My daughter is 8 and out of everything it’s been hard for her to do self care. It’s a constant struggle for us and I am chalking it up to this year being hard. I remind her daily and help her twice a week. (It’s what was recommended) she does her chores and her homework. She is struggling in school this year but the online learning was not good for her. This week was the first week back to school for them so I’m hoping that may help!

No don’t take sport away from him.
Please think about how good physical activity is for your child’s health and brain it’s proven to help.
Come up with another way to get him on track talk to his teachers and Friends something could be going on at school or he could be struggling to learn all kids are like crayons they all learn differently different colours different sizes different shapes you can’t compare your child to anyone else’s because he is himself.
If his failing to do simple chorse find out why talk to him.
I’ve struggled and am still struggling with my 10 year old son about doing chorse and struggling with school we’ve done 18 months of therapy and are just making progress he has ADHD Ocd social anxiety and depression… but he loves his soccer it’s his outlet and it’s helping.

Hang in there mumma. Parenthood is a roller-coaster ups and downs.

2 Likes

Taking away sports is kinda cruel. I could see taking away everything else but sports are a GREAT outlet for emotions that they are too young to handle appropriately otherwise. Sometimes emotions are way too big for little ones to process and they act out at home and in school.

1 Like

Some people struggle with work some people can fly through it. I personally wouldn’t punish my child if they were struggling with school work. Have you looked at getting extra help maybe some tuition? Maybe ask for more work sheets at home or possible a 1-1 x

I don’t think many children this year are doing very well… my daughter who usually makes very good grades has been struggling this year.

Covid has effected the children probably more than anyone. Do not take any more social time away from him. He needs an activity to do…

I’m assuming you don’t go to a gym, being active helps the mind. If anything it could help him.

Sports are a great outlet in my opinion. I take away electronics. I would suggest keeping sports. My oldest needs that outlet or his attitude is way worse. He is 11.

1 Like

Your child is older than mine but this is what I would do.
I wouldn’t take him out of an activity because I feel that is the best way to run off energy and help with moods but with that being said, I would talk to his school. I would see how he’s doing there and see how we as a team could help him.
I wouldn’t “punish” him by taking sports away, especially right now. We are all struggling with the pandemic, it’s hard on us adults, imagine the kids and how they feel.
Try to get him out as much as possible but remind him of chores also
Tell him, we will go play outside or do crafts but first you should

• clean your room, or whatever said chore may be.
    I hope you find a solution, just remind yourself that right now it’s been hard for us all :blue_heart:

Practice isn’t 24 hours a day and it isn’t the problem. I don’t think pulling him from an avenue to release energy, work on communications, team work and being outdoors is the way to go.
You could pull phone, video games, hanging around until homework is done or better yet try help him with it. Ask him whats going on. is it laziness, is he finding it hard and needs help?

4 Likes

All the kids seem to be having issues under the new covid system. Let him play soccer to release his frustrations but impress on him that his academics r important too.

1 Like