Should I talk to my daughter about BO?

As a mother of a 13 year old girl who still has trouble with her putting on deodorant I feel your pain.
It didn’t matter I told her that she would stink if she didn’t wear it or that her classmates would make fun of her. She simply didn’t care. So I have to remind her every morning to put it on or else she will forget. It’s a constant struggle.

1 Like

Spray deodorant is easier for kids in my opinion

1 Like

My bonus daughter also started getting bo around 8. I got her deodorant and explained to put it on after her shower and in the morning.

I am just blunt. My 5 year old even knows when she stinks. I have no problem telling her. My 8 year old gets offended. But Idc. I still yell her she stinks. And that when she doesn’t have any friends bc of it then its on her.
But I’m rude like that.

Shower daily and a good deodorant, you don’t have to make a big deal out of it or she will be embarrassed. Just put deodorant in her room and tell her to use it after showering and sports etc

1 Like

Take her to bath and body works or Victoria secret and buy her matching scents to bathe with and perfume up with. Let her choose her fave girlie scent like sweet pea

6 Likes

Don’t coddle her. Take her to the store, let her pick some deodorant out and tell her she has to use it…. Be blunt. If you don’t, the kids at recess will.

9 Likes

My daughter started at 7! I just bought her very own deodorant and body wash. Now with my daughter she had to wear the dove with no aluminum because if it had it in the ingredients she would still smell bad.

Have you thought about giving her “the women” talk and giving her some deoderant? Bc it sounds like the start of puberty, and no shes not too young to start having the female “issuses”

2 Likes

you don’t have to make a big deal out of it… just have her shower daily and give her some deodorant

1 Like

Just get her the ‘teen spirit stick’ if that’s still around n put it on her dresser. Don’t say anything about bo just be like hey hun, this is deodorant n put it under ur arms in the morning!! My stepmom bought me my first box of tampons and did it so casually when I was 15. I was soooo great full

Went through this with my boy. Who comes home from his dad’s smelly. Hated showers. Went to bath and body works and he got to pick out a special body wash lotion and body sponge. Spray deodorant is incredible. Make it something special for her so she feels like she wants to do it rather than it being a chore

2 Likes

My granddaughter had really bad BO at age 2. Yes you need to say something to her and show her how to use deo. So kids do not make of heg and embarrass her.

Mine had to start wearing it from seven years old. She also had to start shaving early under her arms because of BO

Hi why dont you by her some smellys under arm body spray or a perfume dont have to br exspensive

They have some really good deodorants out there, or even body mists to help. Maybe some body mist would help. I know my girls started having BO young too even though they shower every other day. I got them some good deodorant, let them get some good smelling lotions and body mists, and bam. They no longer are stinky. They love getting to use “smelly goods”.

Buy her deodorant, hair products, hair ties etc. and display it all a nice lil basket and congratulat her for “leveling up” lol… word it differently ofcourse. Just get her excited about using it.

4 Likes

Sounds like it’s time for her to start wearing deodorant. My daughter had to around that age. Shes 11 now and if she doesn’t use clinical strength deodorant she smells like a stinky man. We have had numerous talks with her and she has her moments where she too gets mad or embarrassed. She knows we are only looking out for her well being. She will give me a hug an hour after using deodorant and still smell. She literally has to use the clinical kind or else nothing works. She tries to use whatever else and I can always tell when she doesn’t.

1 Like

My daughter and I have a good/goofy relationship, she’s 10. She’s a little heavier for her age too. I smelled her one day standing next to me. I let her go and play awhile. I yelled for her and told her jokingly, and funnily, so I didn’t hurt her feelings… “Hey stinky butt, come get some deodorant for ur pits, ur all sweaty!” (She was not embarrassed, she doesn’t get embarrassed easy with me or dad bc we’re brutally honest) :woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming: She laughed bc she sniffed herself and said “I was wondering what that stinky smell was, I thought I just needed a shower, thanks momma!” :laughing: She wears it regularly now, and uses it on her own.

My one year old gets BO in her armpits. I asked her Dr about it, and he suggested an organic type of deodorant, not anti perspirant. He said some kids are just prone to it. She has no ther symptoms of puberty, which he said to pay attention for, otherwise it doesn’t mean anything is wrong!!

Yes that’s your job and do it before she gets made fun of. Kids are mean.

3 Likes

My grandkids are little kinder and I had to buy them deodorant because they were already having BO. My daughter agreed and wanted to make sure to get some with No ALuminum.

I was brutally honest. I told my Daughter if she didn’t shower everyday and wear deodorant her classmates would be mean and she would end up known as little stinky. It worked!

10 Likes

She should bathe everyday and start using deodorant.

1 Like

Just curious why not let her use deodorant we started teaching my nephew to do it at 8 and he did not have bo

I suggest taking her to the store and letting her pick out her own deodorant. Maybe explain ,if already haven’t, that kids can be very mean and may make her feel bad if she doesn’t start using it.

You got this mama!!

2 Likes

It’s totally normal, we all smell. Have the conversation. Most people don’t want to be the stinky kid.

My 10 year old started wearing deodorant at 8 years old for the same reason, I just sat her down and explained that it happens to some people at a younger age than for others and that to take care of ourselves obviously wash good in the shower and put deodorant on in the morning when getting dressed for school. She totally understood and now I just let her go with me to pick out which scent/kind she wants for that month.

2 Likes

Just say “hey babygirl, I bought you some deodorant for your underarms cause I remember what 3rd grade was like and if your 3rd grade is anything like mine was your gonna sweat underarms this will help so they don’t feel sticky.” And it smells good too.

3 Likes

I always said ok, come here and lift the arm up and sniff (carefully). :laughing: AND if she is not telling the truth, make her go take another shower. And have her start wearing a deodorant.

She baths every other day .Seriously this is Florida she needs to bath everyday.

Bathe everyday and deodorant plus teach feminine hygiene now. Bc thats coming next

1 Like

Just buy her deodorant and tell her it’s time to use it. I just did w my daughter

My daughter has to wear it and she’s 9. :mask:

Some of these questions blow my mind! :woman_facepalming: you are her mother, you know what to do! Buy her some deodorant!!! Let her know how other people will react if she smells.

Of course you should talk to her about it, you are her mother. It’s your job. It will help make her more comfortable having future talks with you about her period, and sex.

She’s clearly embarrassed and talking might make her feel uncomfortable. Buy her a few things for school hand sanitizer, deodorant and maybe some chapstick and tell her that you bought her a few things for school! Hand her it in a bag and she will see it and it won’t be so awkward or embarrassing and hopefully she will use it without having to talk about it. :heart:

2 Likes

Let her pick out some deodorant and smelly body wash.
Show her how you get ready in the morning/at night. I shower and use this to clean these areas, I use deodorant let’s do it together we can both wear some today etc.

2 Likes

She has plenty old enough to start taking daily bats and wearing deodorant daily make sure when she gets out of the shower that she drives her armpit with the towel before putting the deodorant on. Do not make this like a big deal, do you make this way bigger deal than it needed to be just sit her down matter-of-factly and say you have to now start taking baths every night and you have to start wearing deodorant after your showers and explain to her about towel drying and all that

1 Like

Get her some deodorant…problem solved

3 Likes

Buy her a shower loofah and a good deodorant.

She will now need to shower daily and use deodorant after showering and waking up

2 Likes

Amanda Wells that’s what I did too. My daughter could knock someone out with her pits😅 I said the kids at school are gonna call you the stinky kid. Do you wanna be known for being smelly? Always got her deodorant on now.

1 Like

It could be there is a medical reason for this.I have a family member who has this problem but he went to his doctor who prescribed a special deoderant that he has to put on the night before.
Its not because he doesnt wash he does evert day along with deoderants but it was not working…

1 Like

My daughters were both wearing deodorant by age 8.

Give her some deodorant jeez. Some kids have body odor n it’s nothing to shame them for. She’s probably telling the truth about cleaning her pits too. The reason she gets so upset and embarrassed is because you’re basically making her feel bad about her body at such a young age.

8 Likes

Let her have a bath everyday and if you dont want her using deodorant as yet you can try her with a powder like ammens for under her arm

Deff talk to her and have her start using deodorant

1 Like

I would take her to bath and body works and let her pick out some body spray lotion and deodorant that she likes :slightly_smiling_face: that’s what I’m about to do with my almost 8yo son since he’s starting to be a little smelly lol.

I heard lumē is great and doesn’t have anything harmful in it. I originally saw it for an add to put it in your buttcrack lol but you can get the natural deodorant and honestly some of the reviews make me want to switch. Luckily just secret or any brand works for me but if my daughter was really young, like 8, I would seek something without the aluminum. Plus idk where you live but it’s been almost 110 heat index where I am and it’s hot as heck. My grandparents always said if you got the BO just get the Deo lol and made it funny. It’s a normal thing and it’s just the start of puberty. It’s embarrassing for her to talk about because it’s new. It shouldn’t be made out to be shameful, her body is doing what it’s made to do. Maybe even putting together a care package for her. Treats, pads, extra undies whatever she may need. Children are starting periods younger and younger so it could be soon. I noticed I was stinking in about 5th grade but my sis is 10 and needed it last year- my mom wouldn’t do anything so I bought it for her. Kids are mean!

1 Like

Off course talk to her show her deodorants you use make the conversation fun,

My daughter is 8 this one works the best. Got it for both of my kids :+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3: tell your daughter don’t be embarrassed.

What would you want done for you? You’d want someone to explain what’s going on with your body and to explain why these changes are happening. Then you’d wanna know how to fix it. It’s really not that big of a deal. She’s old enough that she needs to know her body is going to start going through changes- especially since puberty in girls is happening sooner and sooner.

1 Like

I noticed this with my daughter and I said…tomorrow me and you will go shopping and you can pick out some deodrants and body sprays!! She seemed happy with that as she felt grown up xx

Give her deodorant it’s a no brainer

1 Like

My 9 and 10 year old has both hit this stage. After about falling to the floor when I caught a whiff :rofl::rofl: I took them to the store and let them pick out their own personal hygiene stuff that way was a little more exciting and fun for them.

2 Likes

Just give her deodorant and show her how to use it and tell her it goes in in the morning before school. She’s probably embarrassed because it’s new and you basically told her she stinks

Get her some cute perfumes and deodorant. Explain where she should spray and/or rub these on her body. Maybe even throw in a cute neutral lipstick or something and praise her for growing up and becoming more of a woman. Don’t emphasize the unpleasant or bad. Explain briefly in a conversation with just her that when you become a woman, you have to pay attention to specific areas to wash and dry more thoroughly. Treating her as an equal during these types of conversations engages her and encourages her to ask questions if she had any. Worked great with my daughter who is now 14 and she and I have an open, honest communication about any concerns. You just have to keep it casual and don’t lecture her or be talking AT her instead of WITH her. Talk WITH her and you will get much further.

Honestly try Lume soaps and towelettes. They REALLY work to keep odor away. I do not work for the company but I just started using their products. I have a frozen arm and it can get pretty bad. I use that soap and I’m odor free for at least two days

1 Like

Don’t have her dad talk to her. That’s probably worse. Just buy her some deodorant and tell her to use it

3 Likes

I would take her out and let her pick the deodorant she wants, shampoos, body wash, and any type of hygiene things she wants, and you do the same so she doesn’t feel uncomfortable… Then I would take her to get her hair and nails done. Make it fun instead of sitting her down and telling her she stinks…

4 Likes

I have this issue. She will be more embarrassed getting made fun of over you constantly talking to her about it. Let it pick her own deodorant and body spray. Keep talking to her about it till it gets better

Just tell her she’s getting older and as that happens we need to start wearing deodorant to smell nice, then take her to the store and let her smell some different ones and decide which to use.

1 Like

Deodorant my 11 year old son stinks I bought him deodorant and told him apply everyday

My daughter needs a daily body shower and uses deodorant from age 9 . X

Tbh sometimes embarrassment is what you need to get kicked in the behind. I was terrible at this but when middle school started, my cousin basically called me out and told me I stunk and needed to shower more.
I suggest doing what others have said. Take her to the store and let her pick out a few things. Tell her she’s getting older and other kids will be doing the same. Then take her for a treat and call it a day.

Buy her some deodorant and body spray that’s age appropriate. Buy her some new shower gel and see if she starts using it. I am a firm believer in baths/showers daily for good hygiene but to each their own. She’s at the age where her hormones are starting to gear up and her body is starting to change-that alone can add to her body odor change. But just explain that boys pick up on that and tell her you don’t want her to be the kid that people make fun of or bully. But, explain all women go through phases and that it’s not anything abnormal. Talk to her. She is smarter than you think and she will appreciate the girl time picking out girl/age appropriate spray and stuff.

You want to bring this to her attention before the kids at school do. They are cruel nowadays with the bullying

1 Like

Let her pick out some cute smelly good body wash and deodorant and maybe some perfume or body spray. An then get ready with her in the morning so she sees you putting on deodorant and body spray… momma of three girls and each one is different good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My mom was just like girlfriend you stink lol She bought me deodorant and told me to use it. We kinda did the game with my boyfriend’s daughter too. We were just like yo you’re smellin kinda farmy kid use this. She doesn’t always remember so we have to remind her still. She’s 10 and pretty much a ball of stank (her feet smell so bad too. Puberty is the worst)

1 Like

Tell that girl she stinks and get her some deodorant! There’s no reason for you to tip toe around it if she stinks do something about it!!!

1 Like

Take her out for a lil girls day. Pick out a new nail polish for that first day of school, let her smell and pick her own deoderant and body sprays, maybe some new ponytails and a hairbrush kinda thing. Make it like a “self care day” and kinda just… work the deoderant in there without making a big deal. It would be a good time to get her other stuff she needs too, like if she needs a new pair of shoes, more socks, undies, etc. Make it fun, and make it so she has a pick in the scent/kind! It will be wayyyy easier if she thinks its her idea.

1 Like

They’re sensitive about stuff like that at this age, it’s embarrassing. It’s a wonderful time to take her so she can pick out some body wash, deodorant just for her! I’d be involved and sample the smells to see which one she’d like. I definitely would want to field this myself and not hand it to my husband, and I’d handle it with care and also “same babe, happens to all of us and welcome to being a young lady!” kinda attitude. Nice little lip gloss too maybe if she’d like, make self care and hygiene a special thing and include her in your daily routine so she learns how to do it. I didn’t have a Mother so when I had my girls I had to think especially hard about how to be a Mom, what I would have needed and wanted at whatever age… then tailored that for each kids personality so I could be the best Mom for them :blush:

1 Like

Maybe just buy deodorant and leave in her room.

Aluminum free deodorant! :slight_smile:

Put together a bath caddy, let her pick stuff out

1 Like

Just buy her deodorant and tell her to put it on each day.

1 Like

Ummm tell the girl she stinks and take her ass to the store to pick out which deodorant she likes beat! Why are you making it a huge ordeal? Lawddd :roll_eyes: what’re you gonna do when she gets her period? :woman_facepalming:t4:

Just get real with her and get that baby some good deodorant. She will be ok. Better to be embarrassed by mom than kids at school, bc we all know they will let her know .

1 Like

When they smell, it’s a bath or shower daily. It’s time for deodorant also. You may want to try a natural one. Some kids just stink early , all you can do is step it up.A deodorant soap maybe . Some kids shower twice a day. Good luck ,much love.

Maybe approach her in a way that doesn’t embarrass her? How did you go about it? That says alot itself. Sit her down and just nicely inform her about hygiene products and take her to pick out her own. Make it exciting that way she wants to use it. Just don’t tell her she stinks and grill her about her showers…

1 Like

Good lord take her to bath and body works and let her pick out some stuff. Why put peer pressure on her for something she can’t control.

I be telling my kids “man your armpits stink” and they say no you stink :rofl: we joke around alot!!

1 Like

Just buy Deodorant for her and tell her it time to start using this everyday when she gets dressed. Don’t make a big deal about it or make her feel like she stinks. just say it time to start using a little refresher under your arms.

1 Like

Girls day. Discuss the importance of hygiene. Make it fun, let her pick her own new body wash, loofah, deodorant and maybe even some body spray! Get a cute little basket and maybe decorate it together. Then maybe it won’t hold a negative connotation for her :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

One of my girls started having stanky BO a when she was 6. Bought her some antiperspirant/deodorant, problem solved.

1 Like

Yes. She’s your child. Please teach her proper hygiene. She’s not going to know unless you teach her.

1 Like

Take her shopping for hygeine stuff including pit stick let her pick out her scents and items. Thats what i did after my daughter got upset about this topic

1 Like

I would make her a “becoming a woman” little gift set. Some deodorant, legs razors, shaving cream, body wash, pads, wipes, candy, tylenol, body spray, new panties, face masks, makeup, etc. Just some ideas. If she hasn’t started her period, she might soon (I did at 9) and it’ll be good to go ahead and have these handy. And if you wanted you could take her for a girls day beforehand like get nails or hair done, see a movie, lunch, something like that and give her the gift at the end.

2 Likes

Take her in there bathroom and show her how to wash her underarms the correct way… some kids just think you have to only wash the armpit but they need to was the actual arm too

What kind of question is this? Get her some deodorant and tell her she needs to use it

1 Like

Kids need to bathe every day in my opinion. If she has body odor then that’s an even better reason to bathe and use deodorant every single day. I would have to wash the sweat and stench of the day off my body. Yuck.

1 Like

I’d get her some deodorant but also I had a friend who’s daughter started getting BO kind of young and she ended up having a dairy reaction. :woman_shrugging:

Get her some deodorant show her yours and tell her its a part of growing up. Maybe get her a tinted lip gloss because shes a big girl now

1 Like

Take her shopping for her own scented antibacterial soap and a good scrubby to call her own and leave her to it. If it continues discuss the importance of a good scrub in those areas. :heart:

1 Like

Sweet smelling hygiene products

I would take her shopping for some girls stuff but tell her you need to grab some items for YOU because you think YOU stink. Use the reverse psychology approach. Let her assist you on things that she thinks would smell good on you…then wiggle in there that you would be glad to get her some items too.
And if she says no, buy them a different day and then set them in her room…because now you know what smells she likes.

1 Like

Just explain she’s growing up so hormones can make some certain areas smell worse while everything is balancing out , that it’s part of growing up , make a shopping day of it by buying her new grown up washes and deodorants etc , it’s normal x

I just gave my daughter deodorant said its bout that time and she said ok no problems.

1 Like

I took my 8 year old shopping last year & let her pick out the deodorant that she wanted when I started to notice a musty scent. I just explained to her that we all get body odor & kinda stinky if we don’t use it everyday. I think it’s important to point out that it happens to everyone. Now, it’s just part of her morning routine. She puts it on when she brushes her teeth. She also bathes/showers every day as well. It’s just something we do at our house. Maintaining personal hygiene is a must for me.

May be harsh, but my mom noticed this on my sister and stuck her hands under her armpits and made her smell it. She said that’s what other people smell. And she started wearing it :joy: funny now, but I wouldn’t do that with my daughter lol I’d make her a “becoming a woman basket” and the stuff she will need. Show her how to use and it and explain it to her. Tell her it’s not anything to be embarrassed of. We all go through it some day and it’s a totally natural thing! :heart: