Should I talk to my daughter about BO?

This is easy.
Get her some deodorant :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Deodorant, maybe a body spray

Mine is the same way. All of them are lol. Of course they shower but I also just remind them to use deo. They’ll remember on their own eventually, they are still just kids.

Anti persperant is better than just deoderant

Tell her that at a certain age we females start to develop the need to wear deodorant, and that she has reached that age.

1 Like

Make sure any discussion is private between the two of you and prefaced as a discussion of health. Otherwise she might just feel you’re dating she smells bad and take it personally. Explain how we all have bacteria on our skin.

I suggest giving her a natural deodorant like Lume and let her pick fragrance she likes.

2 Likes

Just buy her deodorant and leave it in her room for her

I just took my daughter at that age to store with me had her pick out deodorant she like smell of. Sat and talk with her about hygiene and body changing and also discuss how cruel kids can be especially the older she gets .

1 Like

My 9 y/o son is the SAME! I literally smell his armpits every time he gets out the shower to make sure he truly did wash well. If he didn’t… he gets back in! He got super embarrassed too when we talked with him but like I told him… “I’d much rather be the one telling you vs some bully at school making fun of you and everyone then saying something” We love our babies and would never judge them no matter how smelly they are. Just reassure her that you just care about her and don’t want her picked on. If my son smells throughout the day I whisper in his ear to go take care of it.

1 Like

Have her wear deodorant

My daughter is also 8 and started using deodorant at 5! Its still a daily struggle to get her to use it daily but sit her down and show her how to use it and get her her own to put in her room maybe and just give her a subtle reminder.

You need to find a way to talk to her so she can ask questions. I was only 9 when I started to have my period, I didn’t know what to call it to ask my grandmother. So I just cried and she guessed. And to make it worse my brother was worried and was trying to get me to talk, he is 3 years younger so he knew nothing. kids lol

When u MAKE her shower MAKE her put on deodorant

1 Like

My daughter is 7 and I gave her deodorant last night to start wearing. She showers every day and her pits are knock the breath out of you bad for who knows what reason

1 Like

Why has this not been a discussion already? I have two boys. Neither have started to smell yet. Ages 6 and 9. But they’ve gotten deodarant, body wash, and body spray, in their stockings every year at Christmas (and obviously throughout the year as well) and know to use it everyday already. It’s proactive. We tell them when they smell like “little puppies” after getting dirty and sweaty outside and they know they are supposed to smell good. Always. And they take at least 1 shower a day.

For my 6 year old daughter she gets baby powder inside the front if her panties and inside the back of her panties twice a day. Morning and bedtime. Same as deodorant make sure it is antiperspirant. She even copies me by also “lifting” up her “boob” and applying deodorant there as well. She enjoys keeping herself tidy. In my home the kids don’t have a choice. It is whats best for them. My stepson and sons either put Vaseline inside their legs near their genitals to prevent it from getting sweaty and sore or they can apply powder down their and in their underwear or deodorant. My boys also use deodorant for their armpits. Again, whether they like it or not they need to to prevent sores or itching and stinking. Till they are 18 years old and moved out they have to listen to rules of the house plus they brush their teeth 3 times a day and use mouthwash 3 times a day and use floss once every few days. I am very anal about personal hygiene too.

Just buy the kid some deodorant

Buy her a good deodorant and body spray . And tell her to shower every day.

There is a book you can buy made by American girl about their changing body! I bought it for my daughter, and I make sure she has all the essential hygiene products. Maybe that’ll work for her, maybe if she has a book that y’all can read together, she will see it’s nothing to be embarrassed about, it’s just part of growing up.

My daughter just started to get BO and she litterally just turned 7 a month ago. How sad it was. She showers every day!

Just buy her her own deodorant and tell her to put it on after showers. I got my son a small one and he loves the smell so he enjoys putting it on. Maybe have her go with you and pick her own favorite smell.

1 Like

Just get her deodorant and put it next to where she gets dressed in the morning.

But some good smelling spray deodorant and show her how to use it. Buy yourself some too so she doesn’t feel embarrassed and just tell her you wanted yall to try it together

1 Like

Buy her deodorant and make her shower everyday not every other

My daughter is 7, we have been using this since she was about 51/2 or so. It’s gentle on her skin. There is also a lavender one that my daughter likes best. I’ve seen this sold in Wholesfood store too if you have one in your area.

Have her start using deodorant?

1 Like

Shower everyday to start and deodorant. They sweat everyday not every other.

1 Like

Maybe just take her a buy her some deodorant and some body spray so she feels like a young lady. Explain everyone used it and it’s NOTHING to be embarrassed out

2 Likes

Maybe she needs to shower every day. And maybe some deodorant.

Same thing happened. She wasn’t using soap under her arms. Didn’t know she had to.

Make it fun for her! Buy some fun things like bath bombs, good smelling shower stuff, cute shower accessories, etc. Maybe even let her decorate the bathroom so she enjoys the experience of being in there. Kind of like self care.

Let her choose some nice smelling deodorants and body sprays! When you see her using them, compliment her like Oh wow! You smell so good!

Again you want to make this a fun and enjoyable experience, it will be much more motivating and exciting instead of feeling like a chore.

Of course you should talk to your daughter about BO!! One of my daughters is 10 and hates taking a shower and has had BO issues before. I’ve personally scrubbed the hell out of her underarms and her feet to show her exactly how to do it! That’s what you do as a mom! That’s YOUR job! If your daughter is feeling embarrassed by you saying something…there has to be something else going on with y’all’s relationship. That isn’t normal.

4 Likes

Shower 1-2 per day first & foremost. Teach good hygiene & proper washing techniques for optimal cleanliness. Provide all necessary hygiene products and place in view for easy useage and reminder until she establishes good routine and habits, then store in drawers.

1 Like

Let her pick out a natural deodorant. My daughter started having to use it around that age. Target has a brand called Hey Humans, it’s in a biodegradable container so she’ll feel like she’s saving the Earth while smelling nice. Plus they have fun fragrances like banana aloe.

Talk to her. She’s your daughter, you’ll eventually have the period talk, and the other talks so you might as well start now. Her body is changing, and one embarrassing conversation will stop her being embarrassed when other kids notice. You got this Mama

1 Like

Tell her here’s some deodorant. Shower everyday. Tell her you don’t want her being the stinky kid in school. I told both of my kids this and never had a problem.

Aw tell her it’s nothing to be embarrassed about she’s just growing into a young lady, all girls do it. My daughter is 7 and she wears deodorant, take her to pick one out it might make it more fun for her good hygiene is important.

1 Like

Seriously? Did you try deodorant?

1 Like

If she has hair there will be oder. Shave it for her and give her deodorant

please youid no bo normal body scent deodorant…

Yes it is hard,some young ladies develop faster than others,all you can do is be Mom introduce practices geared towards young women’s hygiene. She’s young now but eventually she will catch on.

yeah you are a jerk

1 Like

My daughter was 8 when she started having body Odor and we just got deodorant

Sounds like she just needs deodorant. Don’t make such a big issue out of it. Just say hey, don’t forget to throw some deodorant on! Maybe apply yours in front of her so she knows that everyone has to wear it.

Does she wear deodorant? I would just explain to her that personal hygiene is important because it can lead to being bullied.

Have her use an all natural deodorant.

Buy her deodorant. Hand her the deodorant and tell her to follow what you do as you put on your deodorant. Tell her that if she doesn’t put on deodorant that she’s going to stink and people aren’t going to want to hang out with her.

I just had to have this chat with my 8 year old son. I noticed a couple weeks ago he is starting to get BO as well. I just told him it’s normal, everyone gets it but no one enjoys the smell of it, especially off of sometime else so cover it up. Shower often and put deodorant on. I don’t sugar coat. If she’s embarrassed about having BO you need to tell her everyone gets it and it’s normal… and that it’s even more embarrassing when you’re the stinky kid at school so make sure to scrub and deodorize :woman_shrugging:t2:.

2 Likes

Shower most be everyday, not every other day. Just put schedule in her room and write down what needed to be done everyday including shower period.

What’s the big deal give her deodorant.

2 Likes

How is this even a question? My god. This is your child. If she stinks, address it. You dont want her made fun of for it, but youre actually considering doing nothing? Get her some alcohol pads. They take all the bacteria that is causing the smell away instantly and she can keep them in her book bag.

Just get some deodorant and leave it in her room, offer to help show her how to use it if she wants but leave it up to her to try it on her own maybe if she’s feeling self conscious and defensive about it. My daughter was embarrassed too but she came around.

2 Likes

They have a kids/teen deodorant out there my ten and 7 year old use it and love the idea

1 Like

Please talk to her and get her deodorant. Please.

My daughter starting stinking at 9 she was washed I got her deodorant to me that’s the Agee girls starting sticking n sprouting atleast my kid did she started her period when she was 11 almost 12

I don’t mean this in a bad way at all but there shouldn’t even be a question about this? She’s your daughter. Of course you HAVE to talk her about it, you said you’re not sure if she’s even washing herself thoroughly, you should find that out she can end up with infections if she isn’t doing a THOROUGH job, so get in that bathroom embarrassed or not- she’ll be very embarrassed when no one wants to sit next to her! This is all apart of being a parent TEACHING

6 Likes

Just buy deodorant and let her know to use it morning and arvo. Use a roll on not spray.

With my kid I just explained to him what puberty was and what’s going to happen. I had him start using deodorant and I just buy as needed.

My daughter started having body odor in the second grade. I was very matter-of-fact, explained that we all deal with this, and showed her what to do, from washing thoroughly to how to apply deodorant. I made sure she had her own deodorant that was chosen by her. It was a non-issue after that.

She’s shy about it because she doesn’t understand why it’s happening to her body, nothing works as well as the truth!! But her her own deodorant, maybe let her pick it out and just gently but firmly explain how others will tease her about her body odor, she may also need to shower daily. I raised 3 Daughters!

My son is 8 and i have him wear deodorant. I dont see an issue starting some.

Just buy her deodorant

Buy deodorant sit it on dresser. Really?

You are her mother, assist her. Why push it to her dad? Buy her a self care package, all cute, girlie stuff - loofah, deos, body sprays etc…this is the time to sit gently and talk to her about ladies stuff, of course she’d be shy at first, but keep it fun, soon she’d be asking you to come help her scrub her back or come smell her underarm - to show you she did wash herself well. Its a process, a journey. Good luck.

3 Likes

I would just buy it and give it to her. Maybe don’t make a big deal out of it and she’ll be less embarrassed

Your kid has to learn from someone. Buy her some of that teen deodorant and tell her it is now part of her hygiene routine.

Show her how to wash correctly. She still a young child needs to be shown every day. Try bathing every day that might help too

Get her nice deodorant, show her it’s similar to what you use and it’s “grown up” My daughter is 17 and still occasionally has issues but she has much improved!!!

Sometimes you have to have uncomfortable conversations and they may get embarrassed but they’re gonna have to listen anyway get that girl some deodorant because it doesn’t matter how old she is if that’s a problem she needs to get a handle on it because she will be made fun of in class if not

Hm… making dad deal with it is not right.
Take your responsabilities and teach that poor girl proper personal hygiene. Thats the most basic parental task ever. :woman_facepalming: and please for the love of god get her some deodorant already!

Shower or bath every morning and deodorant

1 Like

My 8 yr old and 5 yr old both need deodorant.

Sounds like her hormones are kicking in. Have a girls shopping day. Buy her some nice toiletries…let her pick…and a good time for girly talk about growing up and personal hygiene

Deodorant. Some new body wash.

I have the same issue with my daughter. Started when she was about 8. Now she’s 12. I have to make her shower every day. Bought special body wash and deodorant for strong body odor. Even a special washcloth that is more for exfoliating. Make sure as soon as she’s getting out of the shower she is drying her armpits and applying deodorant. Right after. I also try and have my daughter apply the deodorant throughout the day. Just tell her you have to do it too. We all do when we get to a certain age. :woman_shrugging:t2: Let her know it’s not just her.

Take her to bath and body works, have a girl’s day of all things good smelling and girly, or go through the deodorant aisle together and let her pick her smell. Please don’t push girly scents if she prefers more coverage with old spice, men’s degree, or axe. I was very athletic (hockey, soccer, softball, basketball, cheer, track and field, band) growing up and my mother kept me from having more coverage and I hated the flowery blossom smelling deos that didn’t cover me with my lifestyle. I’d steal my dad’s deos (old spice) and felt much better, didn’t care I was strong smelling because I didn’t smell gross! I smelled clean! Secret clinical is the ONLY women’s deo I will use but I don’t believe it’s worth 10$/container, but I usually get the 2 packs of degree with my husband and we both have a stick. Sometimes it’s just grabbing and smelling before making a decision but let HER choose. Make it an option to go with guys over girls deos without being judged.

2 Likes

So when I went to a parenting class I was taught something very helpful. It is NORMAL for children to be embarrassed like this especially if the family hasnt been relatively open about these things on a daily. One thing she said worked with her daughter was creating a journal that she would slide under her daughters door. it would be like note passing and would start off small. She would write, “hi how are you doing? I love you” and then the daughter would eventually write back. Eventually she would write what she really wanted to talk about, in this case the BO. You could write something like hey I used to have the exact same issue when I was younger and I also felt super embarrassed. Would you like me to pick you up some deodorant? If so, I’ll grab a few different kinds so you can see which one you like. Remember it’s all about building the trust to open up and this journal idea can be super helpful for a kiddo that is experiencing embarrassment and doesn’t want to have that eye contact conversation. I hope this helps!!

Yes you should. Better you then someone who may not be nice about. I started talking to my girls about their periods at that age. So when it came about they knew exactly what to do.

Deodorant she should start wearing it let her pick out a sent she likes and go from there

Also, y’all are so rude SMH. Anyone ever teach you guys that if you can’t say something nice then don’t say anything at all. I worked as a behavioral therapist for awhile and I had one family with this exact same issue. It’s way more common than you think and belittling people is not the way to go about it.

Try mitchums deodorant !It will stop her B O !!

Just let her know she’s becoming a young lady and with becoming one comes certain bodily functions. Tell her it sucks - (you know in that you totally understand voice ) and she has nothing to be embarrassed about.

Buy her some deodorant and show her how to use it, not that hard to deal with lol also maybe it’s time for her to start showering everyday. Incorporate it into her morning routine.

1 Like

Just explain to her that now she’s getting older and she has to start using different products as part of her hygiene routine. Buy her deodorant

My daughter was eight when she needed deodorant so I bought her some and told her she needed to use it and she started her period Right after she turned 10 so it might be uncomfortable for her but it’s a needed conversation

Wow, I am a little shocked right now. Why not just hug her and take her to the store? My 9 yr old just came to me this week and said the same thing. I went out with her and we smelled deodorants together. We choose a spray one because I felt like it was less aluminum for her young body. Unfortunately kids are going through puberty earlier and earlier. It’s the hormones in our meats ans milk.
Making a big deal out of this will only embaress her and make her feel like she can’t come to you with things like this. I mean, the period is coming next. Preparing her is the best possible idea.

5 Likes

I recommend men’s deodorant. I’ve used it since my teen years. I sweat like a 400 lb man and I always have. One of my kiddos is the same. She also prefers the men’s deodorant because it last much longer.

you should be talking to her already about her body and changes that will come …

3 Likes

Dont tell her she smells bad tell her shes a big girl now and that big girls need to wash more and use products because she will end up smelling bad if she doesnt, its all in the delivery. Id be insulted and embarrassed if someone said i stunk too! Educate her on puberty and the changes she is going to face as if you are preparing now so that she wont have that akward moment of smelling bad around her peers.

4 Likes

Give her deodorant . What’s the big deal

2 Likes

Get some kids books that touch the topic. Give her information without the embarrassing talks bc at 8 kids don’t really know/accept they’re changing

I would just buy her deodorant and girly body spray as your back to school shopping list. My daughter is in first grade and wears deodorant and body spray every day

Take her shopping with you when you buy your washes and deodorant. Let her smell the different ones and pick what she wants.

1 Like

You could take her to the store and help her pick out a fun little tote and some deodorant, body spray, etc. Make it into something fun and exciting. Her body is changing and it can be celebrated instead of something embarrassing and scary.

4 Likes

My son is 8 and needed it. I told him when the body is growing and becoming a young man ( to help him feel proud and cool)
sweat starts to smell so that’s why we wear deodorant mommy and daddy wear it too. When he takes a shower I remind him to wash his areas and in the morning I tell him to put it on without making a huge deal about it. ( I made his from scratch all natural )

Umm it’s called puberty mama. They have kids deodorant pretty much everywhere. If you haven’t spoken to her about her period do it ASAP! You need to prepare her a no see through bag with pads, wipes, underwear etc for her backpack to take to school. In the event she gets her period she will be prepared and know what to do. I did this for my daughter and please don’t start the convo with you smell…

I personally can smell within 20 minutes of a shower in the summer if I don’t put on deodorant. Does she use deodorant? Maybe change her brand if she does? Also, she’s growing so her body is changing and so will her smells… :sweat_smile:

Make her wear deodorant

Buy her a decent deodorant and make a joke of it instead of making her embarrassed

Oh my God. I cant talk to my kid about her stank cus she gets embarrassed?? Wow. Be a fuckin parent. Wtf. Im sure theyd rather be embarrassed at home by the parents instead of at school being bullied by everyone