Should I talk to my daughter about BO?

My daughter is almost 8. I still help her in the shower to make sure she gets clean (she showers on her own, I just check on her more often) because she’s had BO since she was 3! We found out it’s due to a GI issue, so we had to get a handle on it early. We found spray dove deodorant works best for her, and she has a travel can in her bag at school in case she feels the need to use it after PE etc. take her with you and help her choose products, as you’re looking and smelling the deodorants, talk to her about why you’re buying them, how they benefit her and help her feel clean as well.

You should have a talk with her then show her age approiate videos then buy her deodorant , take her in the bath room alone wash and show her the proper way if it continues then watch and make sure it is getting it. No one wants to be watched …

Watch out for cancer causing metals in deodorants.

Just buy her some deodorant by her body lotion and perfume in scents she likes

Has she started to grow arm pit hair? That is a source of BO. Help her to learn to shave. Also buy her a fun body wash to use pre, and post shave. That should solve the issue.

antibacterial soap for washing the pits, build up of bacteria could be causing the smell.
as for washing, my 10yo is the same and literally does a once over - hence the antibacterial soap.
also a deodorant if you find the antibacterial soap doesn’t work (it would then probably be hormonal)
good luck mumma

If she has really bad bo and women’s deodorant doesn’t work well. Definitely try men’s deodorant. It seems to last longer for me. I use this one specifically cause it doesn’t smell like a male scent specifically just smells fresh.

Whether she likes it or not her BO needs to be addressed. If she’s that embarrassed it should be easy to fix then. Did you give her deodorant? Or just tell her she stinks. Did you explain from now til probably 13 she’s gonna have these issues and needs to do different things to be hygienic? Better you say something than someone at school.

1 Like

My sons pits started stinking last year at 5 years old. I said dude you need to wash better and start wearing this deodorant. Showed him how to do it and that was that. If you don’t make a big deal about it she won’t be embarrassed

1 Like

Lume and maybe a nice spray deoderant or light body spray since she’s still too young for perfume! Definitely be gentle with it, my mom was not gentle with her words when I was growing up and it stayed in my mind

1 Like

Take her to get deodorants and just let it be she is young most of kids her age will have the same thing

Get her a gift of deodorant, body wash and body spray.

Definitely talk to her about it. It’s some thing a lot of kids go through at an earlier age and something that needs to be talked about so that she does know how to take care of it.

My son is 15 but started having BO noticeably around 10. Has to wear an anti perspirant and deodorant. Not just one or the other it Has to be both.

I started both of my kids on deodorant and body spray around 9 years old. Tell her it’s what kids who are getting older wear because their body is changing and it’s nothing to be embarrassed about because it happens to everyone.

Take her to the store and let her pick out some deodorant. Tell her that she’s getting older and that it’s completely normal to need to use things like that. That’s what my ex did with our son when he was 8 years old.
He’s 9 now and has deodorant at his dad’s, my house, and he carries one in his backpack. He doesn’t need it THAT much but he’s proud to be a “growing boy”. Lol

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t you talk to her? You always talk to your kids and especially about stuff like this. If you even have to ask yourself should I say something more times than not you should talk to them.

1 Like

Buy her deodorant and teach her how to use it.

2 Likes

There are many extra strength deodorants on the market…some just sweat more than others xxx also, smell has alot to do with what we eat. Alot of garlic and onion can make us a bit pongy

Buy her some deodorant. Tell her it’s all part of growing up x

1 Like

I’d explain it to her there’s nothing to be ashamed of we all have to deal with it, and let her pick out what scent she would like for deodorant so that she can feel responsible!!! But defintely she needs something for her body odor becuase it’s a responsibility and habit u want her to learn, not to mention kids are cruel and u wouldn’t want ur child being bullied for being the stinky kid

1 Like

Take her to buy her own “smell pretty” stuff - soap, special scrubby, hair brush, things like that. Teach her a routine in morning to address all her girl things - if she “owns” the process and why we girls all do it- she’ll be okay - but you’ve got to model the behavior :yum::nerd_face::heart:

2 Likes

Absolutely!! take her shopping and let her pick some Anti-perspirant/deodorant (maybe a couple for PE, back pack and home)and some light body spray. make it fun and informative. Growing up shouldn’t be a bad thing and ALWAYS talk to tour kids especially if you feel like it could save her some embarrassment.

I used a salt stone in the shower for a long time because it actually removes smell, still need deodorant but it’s something to look into it worked better than regular soaps I have used. Also you can take her to the store and have her pick her own soap and deodorant smells. If regular deodorant isn’t cutting it the secret clinical strength works well.

My son is 7 1/2 and is starting to have BO I told him he was becoming a big guy and had stinky arm pits so we should go buy him deodorant, I made it exciting telling him it was part of growing up, took him out & I let him pick out whatever Scent deodorant he wanted. Then I smelled one stinky pit and one good smelling pit and made a joke about eww stinky pits vs ahh wow you smell good. I didn’t ask him about his washing habits maybe that’s why your daughter is embarrassed :woman_shrugging:t2:, I just explained it was part of being a big kid :woman_shrugging:t2: worked for him.

1 Like

Daily shower us deodorant

Tom’s is the best brand for kids Because it doesn’t contain aluminum. My daughter that turns 7 in a few weeks just had a checkup and the drs said it’s a normal age to start noticing bo… just let her know she’s gonna want it to stay fresh… my daughter is using hers now and it’s been no big deal

3 Likes

Yes let her pick out what scent she wants and explain its normal and how often she needs to put it on. I always carry one for lunch time just to smell good bc it’s so hot.

Maybe she just isn’t concerned with it until you pointed it out? Body odor is normal and a result of bacteria (yes, bacteria are good most of the time!) existing on the skin. I’m a big fan of her body, her choice, and I struggled with it myself for awhile with my older boys. They’ve all outgrown their preference for being stinky boys on their own.

My 9 year old gets bo fast. I make her bathe everyday, and if she doesn’t wash her armpits good(if I can still smell bo) I make her get back in and wash again. She has been wearing deodorant for around a year, as soon as she gets out.

1 Like

My son started wearing deodorant at 9 I took him to the store and told him he was becoming a little man and pick out the scent he wanted he is now 11 and goes nowhere without it

1 Like

My daughter is 8year old. I was playing with her the other day and she was all sweaty. Shew I happened to smell her arm pits and yes she wears deodorant now.

Do you REALLY need Facebook to answer this question?

1 Like

Bathing daily can dry your skin out. Take her to score and let her pick out the deodorant she wants. Her own body wash etc.
Get her some body spray.

My oldest daughter has a disorder that makes her feet stink even after she bathes. It’s hormonal.

As much as most of us don’t want to admit. Body oder starts shortly before puberty hits. Start explaining it all to her now if you haven’t already. Teach her how to shave her arm pits. (Good way to make sure she’s cleaning them.)

Have you heard of a thing called Deodorant!?

1 Like

Get her some natural deodorant

how about instead of discussing it with other family members, just buy her some deodorant? sheesh! I’d be embarrassed of you too if you were my mom.

2 Likes

If you have problems talking about wearing deodorant and referring to her armpits as “that area,” you should probably find a parenting group for preadolescents because there is going to be waaaaay more uncomfortable conversations to come soon! If your daughter smells, throw a thing of deodorant her way and tell her to use it every day. Don’t make a big deal or make it weird when it doesn’t have to be. :woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

Switch to daily showers, and get her a good deodorant that she likes the smell of.

2 Likes

Gift her a care box with the essentials of taking care of herself, make it cute and a new experience! You don’t even have to talk, just write some instructions and a note that says good job. Include deodorants, skincare, bubble bath and other fun treat yo’ self items to make it into a gift that shes maturing rather than being embaressed! Growing up SUCKS and I hated talking about it too but you can always make it a game

4 Likes

Some kids need a shower and deodorant daily. Regular deodorant may not be strong enough. Some pre teenagers need clinical deodorant to combat the armpits odor!

1 Like

Make her wear deodorant or she will get picked on. When I was in school all the kids that stinker got made fun of. It must have been horrible

That’s around the time I had my first menstrual cycle, I’d suggest talking about everything… about puberty and how the body works. I’d also suggest getting her own products and cool bags to store her personal hygiene in. Leave one in her bedroom & one in the bathroom. Then let her decide after she’s well educated on everything and how it works.
Best of luck.

1 Like

You better get that under control before someone else tells her and she’ll really be embarrassed

Why did you call arm pits that area? Call them under arms if arm pit embarrassed you. Plus, you NEED to talk to her about it regardless of she is embarrassed or not. Life isn’t always comfortable.

This summer, I bought deodorant for my 8 year old granddaughter. We just told her she needed to use it to keep from stinking due to being sweaty. She uses it every morning no problem.

Gift set(make your own fancy cellophane covered basket). Include deodorant & antiperspirant) nice body sprays, lotion, perfume( see if you can get a few samples from perfume counters). Call it a back to school, labor Day, or fall gift for your young lady. Also chlorophyll tablets from a vitamin shop.

Just buy her a stick of deodorant.

Just give her the straight facts.

Buy her deodorant…its not rocket science. If your uncomfortable talking about bodily functions now youre in for a hell of a ride when she goes through puberty. Do better

2 Likes

Just get her deodorant. My son had to start wearing deodorant in second grade. She may need to bathe every day instead of every other day

That’s still a body part that needs washing, sweat will make arm pits stink so bad

Maybe make a pretty little basket for her and put some hygiene products in it and maybe a few fun stuff and write her a little note, simple but to the point. Put it on her bed and she can read it in private and hopefully start using it :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

There’s so many great ideas here to help! I just let my kids pick out their own body products and occasionally throw their deodorant at them. They don’t get embarrassed anymore, I’ve just always told them “better I tell you than a friend”
It really did help letting them pick the smells they like, a little positive reinforcement by letting them know they smell fresh and I’ve got 2 boys who like to stay clean.

Talk to her tell/show her that you put it on. My 3 Year Old has roll on deodorant and he watches me put on my deodorant in the mornings when I get dressed.

1 Like

In 3rd grade should have a spare deodorant in their backpack in case ’they forget’ at home or they have gym, whatever. We teach all our kids to carry individual wrapped wet wipes, deodorant, and tissues. So excuse for being snotty or smelly.

WTF! Of course you should. These questions are annoying. Get off the internet and parent people

4 Likes

My babies are grown now but I was always straight up and honest with them. If it hurt their feelings they got over it. I feel that if you’re always open and honest with your kids they’ll be open and honest with you.

1 Like

Nah, you should let the other kids bully her until she hates herself…

What kind of people are parenting kids these days?

3 Likes

Make it normal not like something she should be embarrassed about my 5 year old son already knows about body oder not that he has it yet but he knows about it

You can oversee her baths since she’s only 8 yrs old. She needs to wash under her arms & private area everyday! Some children mature earlier so she may need a gentle deodorant.

1 Like

buy her some deordant

1 Like

Just buy her deodorant and tell her to start using it

1 Like

Yes, because if you don’t, some mean kid will.

My kids started using deodorant at like 6 or 7 years old. I was like man you’re getting smelly here use this, it helps mommy not be smelly :woman_shrugging:t3:

Make her shower every day , get her teen spirit deodorant

2 Likes

Make it normal. Show her your deodorant and buy her the same brand or let her pick her own scent. I’ve got boys and tell them they stink all the time. They hate it but they now where deodorant :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If it’s embarrassing to hear from her own mother about washing it will upset her even more if the dad ask her something like that… so leave daddy out of it.
I would say make a hygiene basket , make it cute and leave a note, she will start using it :wink:
Good luck!

4 Likes

Have her wear deodorant

2 Likes

Show her how to put it on and talk with her even if she doesn’t like it. Maybe take her to pick out her own deodorant and body spray, something new that she can be excited to wear. Like Bath & Body works sprays, body wash and lotions. Kids are mean even in 3rd grade. You don’t want her to be bullied and known as the “smelly kid” it will haunt her for a long time.

1 Like

it might be uncomfortable for her or embarrassing but now is really the time that u need to make her comfortable with talking about her body. and all the things that go along with being a girl. sometimes as parents we see something makes our child uncomfortable and we avoid it. I have 2 daughters 12 and 7 and 1 on the way. I’m very open with them about everything that has to do with their bodies and what to expect because as a child I was never educated if she is starting to get bo that may mean her period is coming soon and it is so much better to prepare them so they know what to expect. girls are starting their periods alot younger now. tell her u know what shes going through and reassure her u have been through it too. make a girls day out of it to lighten the mood show her things she will need

2 Likes

Mom can’t be as up on hygiene as she claims if she’s saying she has her daughter take a bath every other day. That can’t be helping the BO she has and it’s summer time. Running, playing and sweating. Basically, she’s walking around with 2 days worth of sweaty pits and private parts. Deodorant will mask the smell. Bathe daily and use Deodorant should take care of the BO.

1 Like

Stop making it weird

Just be normal you are probably unknowingly making her uncomfortable its natrual and normal

Shower everyday will help.

1 Like

Just let her know it’s a good idea to make sure she washes there because it could start to smell and get her some deodorant and make sure she sees you using it. Kids follow by seeing sometimes. But telling directly can be embarrassing.

My daughters are 8 and 9. Both started. They are more prepared because we have been going through A Girls Guide to Puberty. Everything we talk about is just matter of fact, how the body grows and changes. I told them its time to start wearing deodorant if they would like to, and they were both happy to. And we all do it together in the morning :grin:

2 Likes

So get her deodorant?

4 Likes

My daughter just got her monthly and I talk to her and tell her it’s better to hear it from me than her peers. She just rolls her eyes and stomps to the bathroom.

1 Like

Take her out shopping for a fun deodorant flavor she likes and allow her to wear it everyday like you probably do. Also get her matching hair shampoo, bath gels, perfume or anything else she might want to get.
Make it a fun girls day out and explain to her it’s another huge step as a woman :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Just tell her she needs deodorant 🤦 buy her deodorant… I already have my 6 yr old son using it.

6 Likes

Have a shower/bath daily instead of every other day and take her shopping to buy her some deodorant.

Shower/bath daily. Not sure why that wasn’t happening everyday anyway! Also introduce deodorant.

Do you have her wear deodorant? My son has been having it since the age of 7, he has to use deodorant quite a bit, he’s 12 now.

A daily shower with soap and water used with deodorant should rectify the issue, it’s all part of growing up. She sees you do it, it’s normal.

Have her shower every day and start wearing deodorant/ antiperspirant. Let her know it’s nothing to be ashamed of, that it’s normal and we’d all smell like that if we didn’t bathe and wear deodorant/antiperspirant. My kids were both the same age when they started having stinky pits.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should I talk to my daughter about BO? - Mamas Uncut

Yes explain to her that it’s normal and maybe make a trip with her to let her pick out her own deodorant! They have great scents … don’t not tell her because if she does sink someone else will and they prolly won’t be as sweet about it

4 Likes

My daughter is 6 and super active! Even with daily showers (yes I watch her wash herself to make sure she’s getting clean) she gets BO. We talked about it and she smelled me after working out one day and asked if that’s what she smelled like. I said yes. So she decided yes I need deodorant. We got her Toms all natural brand and it works amazing!! My husband is a freak of nature and never in 8 yrs has he smelled of BO! So she had to have mommy help on this one. Lol

11 Likes

Omg I just bought deodorant for my 9 year old son… :nauseated_face: it is part of life. No need to be embarrassed it is a morning routine at this point she doesn’t even have to tell anyone They do have all kinds now maybe the dove spray might be more of an incentive for her.

1 Like

Maybe buy her a few different kinds? I would leave them on her dresser…or where she puts her things in her room. Lots of kids become stinky…I have never heard of being punished by the school…sometimes you just need to let them be…and she will decide when she’s ready.

1 Like

Hey mama! I would try explaining to her first that body odor is normal and nothing to be embarrassed about if it’s taken care of! Explain to her that you as well have body odor and what you do to prevent it! Take her to the store, let her pick out her own deodorant, body wash, perfume, etc! Teach her how to properly wash and apply these products! I know when my mama first came to me about it, I for sure was embarrassed as well! But once she reassured me that it’s nothing to be embarrassed of and how to take care of it, I felt a lot better! As a little girl I loved perfumes and smelling pretty! I’m sure your girl will as well! I’m wishing you the best of luck! :two_hearts:

13 Likes

There is nothing wrong with buying her deodorant. My daughter played hockey and stunk worse than her brother. She also loved using a poof with pretty smelling body washes.

6 Likes

Make a fun day of it. Go out for girls lunch then head to the store get some body cream, deo and maybe some nail polish for each of you and make it a great girls day out.

1 Like

I suggest trying to talk to her again. Alone. And talk through her uncomfortable feelings. Validate her feelings. “I understand this is embarrassing, this is natural thing to happen to your body. What else makes you feel embarrassed? How can I help you?”
Maybe buy a small like make up bag and put some personal hygiene stuff in there with some directions or instructions and a little note or something saying your always there if she needs help or wants to talk. I think the main thing is validating her feelings.

1 Like

My 6yo daughter and 8yo son both have deodorant, we went and they picked the one they wanted . And they put it on in the am and shower in the pm. Havebt used it every day but a few times to get use to it

2 Likes

My 8 year old came home from Lacrosse practice and sniffed her arm pits, gave me a disgusted look and said “mom, I stink. Can I use your arm pit smelly good stuff next practice”. Instead, we went and got her her own. We normalize body changes around here. I joke around when I stink and forgot deodorant or just sweated right through it and make my husband smell my BO because for some reason that man doesn’t have BO and we think it’s hilarious. It’s part of life, it happens to most of us. I think it’s more about making it a normal thing instead of something that’s gross. Like everyone else suggested - go let her pick it out and make it fun. My kiddo thinks putting it on is fun and tickles and she thinks it’s kinda cool to be like mom.

I raised a son and just put nice age appropriate necessities on his dresser as they came up. I noticed his door was closed more than usual so I put some condoms in his room so that was awkward lol

1 Like

My daughter is just now 5. She doesn’t have BO but honestly I’ve struggled with it previously and some of my meds now even still cause an issue sometimes. She sees me cleaning myself up and refreshing as often as needed. I recently went out and made her a bathroom care kit with dental, shower, bubble bath bath bombs and tiny perfumes. And she has a hair kit with all she could need and then a tiny play make up with like scented chapstick, glittery stuff nail polish. She is all about it. She even brought the lint brush with us on the way to school today lol.
It could be medical if she’s on meds but either way it’ll be so much easier if you let it be about the fun part of getting ready to leave the house instead of about BO… that’s never fun. Also, the clinical deodorant it’s like 8$ at dollar general… Best thing I’ve ever found.

I took mine shopping and said “I like this one! Do you wanna try one?” And then let her pick out one and then let her pick out her own pouf and body wash and shampoo amd body spray and didn’t make a big deal out of it. I set it by her toothbrush and said when you’re done brushing your teeth put this on and give yourself a spritz so you always smell like a lady! She loved it. And it took the awkwardness away. Mines also 8 and going into third grade. I WAS the stinky kid in school because I was a neglected child so I’m overly aware of how my children smell because I don’t want them to go through what I went through.

2 Likes