Should kids birthdays be celebrated together?

My kids are 11 months apart (so they’re the same age for 28 days.) one girl one boy. We celebrated their birthdays right in the middle of the month until they turned 12 that’s when they both decided they wanted separate parties. We just made sure that they had separate cakes so they each had candles to blow out.

Im a twin, and I hated sharing a birthday as I got older. It also didn’t help my sister had an easier time making friends than I did, so I constantly felt like it wasn’t actually my birthday. I just felt like I was attending for her.

So since my kids have birthdays 2 weeks apart, they get their own different parties. Even if the days were closer together I would probably still do them separately unless they ask for a joint one.

2 Likes

My sister and I were born 3 years and a week apart. We always celebrated together and still do at almost 37 and 34.

4 Likes

My brother and I who are a year and a month apart had birthday parties together well until our teens. We would both invite our own friends . After cake and presents we’d separate and do our own things. We always enjoyed that.

I don’t have children that close in age but personally they’d have their own days, but a joint party…
My younger sister was born on my 3rd birthday :joy: so we’ve always shared it as our parents didn’t really have a choice :joy: but it was always made special and I never felt like it was less my birthday than my sisters

My daughter and niece were born the same day a year apart and we’ve done a combo of bdays together and apart. But they are best friends so I’m not sure how it would be with your family dynamic

My boys are February the 14th & 16th. I have NEVER given them a party together by my choice. To me, your birthday is special & is all about you. It’s your day. One year they asked to have it together, so I did. But that was their choice. I have never forced them and never will force them to have a party together.

2 of my kids bdays are 2 days apart but with a 15 year ago gap! I always made it separate bdays bit from my youngest was 6 he’s always wanted to share it with his big sister on his bday so they do but the bond they have for each other is amazing so until they say different its q special day they love spending together

We always did family birthdays together but friend birthdays separate (4 years 6 day difference)

1 Like

My sons bdays are about three weeks apart, the one we usually celebrate on time and then the other we wait an extra week or two depending on when the fourth falls. He’s never had a problem with a late party and I always have a special dinner on his day but it makes the bday parties further apart.

My brother was born six days after my third birthday and my two youngest brothers were born almost exactly a year apart, so my oldest brother and I had parties together until I was like 12 or 13 and the same for my youngest brothers. We always got to choose our themes, so it was almost like two different parties, just the same day.

My bday is the 8th my brothers the 9th. We always celebrated together ans loved it. I miss the double party.

1 Like

Together when they’re babies, separate when they are older. Trust me. My little brother is 1 week before mine, our mom always did ours together & we absolutely hated it!

No, I wouldn’t. Your birthday is your one special day that belongs to no one else unless your a twin :rofl: If it was me, I would give them their own special day and it it separate. That’s just my thoughts x

My girls are 13 months apart.
We are going to celebrate them together except on their 5,10,15th birthday. They can each have their own those years

Two parties but several weeks apart. Everyone deserves their own day. Speaking from someone who has to share their birthday with her dad.

My 3rd and 4th are less than a year apart. So they are the same age for a week. When they were babies we would celebrate their birthdays together with everyone but still do a small celebration for their actual birthdays. They will be 12 and 13 this year, and they decided to have a separate birthdays this year.

My 2 kids are both born on the same day (2 years apart) we have always done joint birthdays but 2 seperate cakes and make them both feel very special. Up untill now turning 6 and 8 they will be having separate friend party’s this year but family is always joint. We will just go with the flow each year and see what they want. The key is just making them feel extra special. :gift_heart:

We do both! My boys are one year and one day apart🤪. They get to pick where we go or what we have for dinner and have their own cake and balloons and presents on their actually bday then combined party! Then They can decide when they’re older if they want separate party’s

1 Like

my sons are 2 years and a months part we let them choose what they want to do each and then they get a birthday party together until they wanted to do something else so far they like it they each get their own thing and something together

I have 4 birthdays in one week in Sept. We do cupcakes on their birthday at home, plus they pick what we have for dinner. The party however, has always been combined (except their very first birthday), and the kids love it. And it’s so much easier on family that travels to come to it.

My 4 year old and 1 year olds birthdays are 3 weeks apart. We celebrated them together with family but we still had some cake and ice cream on their actual birthdays

1 Like

I do one big birthday party, each have their own theme cake. Al my kids birthdays are in the summer so it’s easier for everyone to come to 1 rather than trying to come to 4.

And then on their actual birthday, we celebrate at the house just as a household but I have presents and cupcakes for them and let them pick whatever they want for supper.

I do my son’s birthdays together. They’re 8 days apart. They’ll probably want separate parties eventually when they’re older though

My sister is 4 years younger than me and our birthdays are 5 days apart. We always had shared parties as kids.

I have two with the same bday that are 3 years apart. Always do separate cakes, parties, etc. makes them feel special to feel like they have their own day instead of having everything shared. They didn’t want shared. Even let them pick different restaurants to go to so they each have a bday dinner.

My oldest and middle child’s birthdays are 3 weeks apart but both in August. I do conjoined parties but celebrate their actual birthday as something special for just them

My boys are 12 months 2 weeks apart. I did them a separate party this year as my youngest was 1 but next year when they’ll be 2 and 3 we’re doing a joint. When they’re older I’ll probably do separate again but for the next 5 years I’ll probably do joint oarty but when sure we celebrate each one on their birthday just for them x

My kids bday is two weeks apart and we celebrate party wise together.On actual bday they get a small cake and present

I don’t do birthday parties really I do a 1st birthday party that’s big and everybody’s invited … then I do a cake and a present from me and their father on their ACTUAL birthday and then we do a family weekend activity (zoo, pumpkin patch, hotel with water park) once they are old enough and in school they can choose to have some friends over for their birthday but I’m not stressing myself over having a massive party every year

My oldest daughter was born July 10th 2009 & my youngest was born July 13th 2019. I do their parties together. I gave my oldest the choice to have her own and she can let me know at any time, but for now she loves sharing a party, kiddie decorations & all :joy:

My sons birthdays are a week apart, but there are 2 years difference between them. We do one big party that we invite family and friends to but on the actual day of their birthdays we take them to do something special.

My children’s birthdays are a week apart and I celebrate them individually.

I’m in same boat. My boys are 4 years, 3 days apart. They love their joint parties! I’ll be doing joint parties until they voice that they would like their own. They still get their own cakes, presents, invite both their friends, and celebrate both. Each child will be different, but I think they’ll tell you if they prefer their own party :heart::heart::heart:

My boys (4 & 6) bdays are March 7 and March 18. We’ve celebrated together and separately. Lesson learned, do them together at least until they’re older :sweat_smile: two little kid bday parties are a lot of work and money lol.

My last 2 kids bdays are February 21st & February 28th …they’ll be 3&4 this year…we celebrate their birthdays together :heart: They still get their own gifts and cakes

my kids birthdays are 2years and 2 days apart.
I will celebrate their days separately, but I’m pretty sure they will have joint parties at least when they’re little.

I have 2 kids that have their birthdays 1 wk apart and we have done separate birthdaydays now they are gonna be 4 and 6 and their birthday comes right when Thanksgiving is soo it’s very hectic so I think this year we are gonna combine them to make it easier maybe when they are older we will do separate again but for right now 2 birthdays around the holidays is tough especially with 4 kids either way they will have fun and eat cake maybe 2 different cakes tho as 1 is a boy and 1 is a girl

we celebrate family birthdays together, but if also having a birthday party with friends try get those separately

My sister and I have birthdays just a few weeks apart and when we were little we always shared birthdays. I asked my mom and she said it’s bc my sisters party had a small turn out bc lots of people came for mine so for years we each picked a theme and my mom did half and half.

I would celebrate together if giving a birthday party or there is an outing/day trip or activity they are both interested in and then make a little fuss on both of their actual birthdays too. Whilst they are young I think it is fine. When they get a bit older or it is blatantly obvious they have no common interests or friends then separate them. I have a twin brother and even at 44 with our own lives and children We still celebrate together

My kids are almost exactly 4 years apart.ones September 10th the other is the 30th. I have done parties both separate and together and the kids are honestly not bugged by it. As long as they’re loved and treated equally then it really doesn’t matter.

My sister and I are a day apart, hers is May 12, mine May 13(2 yrs apart)
We always celebrated together and neither one of us minded that

You should do what works best for your time and budget. It’s easier to do them together but then you’re kinda asking friends parents to bring gifts for both even if they are only friends with one child.

Personally I would do separate :woman_shrugging:t3: that way each kid has their own day for people to celebrate them. Maybe when they are younger like before school age if they are close in years too do it together …but after that they are going to want their own friends ect to celebrate their day….

My two youngest’s birthdays are a month apart, and we their party together, but a little something special for just them on the actual day.

My children have the exact same Bday! Right now they are so young and they like the same things so we are doing a Mickey/Minnie Bday party. As they get older we will have separate themes on the same day.

My sister and I are a week apart. I did not like that it was always celebrated together.

My kids are 11 months apart, I celebrate their birthdays separately. I wouldn’t want to share my bday with my siblings, I wouldn’t feel special :worried:

I have a 9 year old and an 11 year old Their birthdays are a week apart. Jan 27 and feb 4. We did together when 5&7 but now we do seprate because they are individuals. They dont want to share their birthday!

I have a 5/15, 6/23, 6/24, and 7/7 that’s just kids not my husbands bday which is 6/18. Now if their bdays are during the week we celebrate with decorations and cake but party on the following Saturday. We usually put bday parties together but we also celebrate them individually as well as their own decor and cakes

My boys are 2 years and 2 days apart. They have had a combine party with friends but we celebrate their actual birthdays with cake and gifts individually. They will be turning 7 and 5 this year. I’m sure in a few years time they will want their own parties though.

My sister’s were 1 week apart. They always shared a party.
My middle 2 girls birthdays are 3 days apart they are still little so they share a party but we figured when they got older they could decide or just have their parties separately and at different times that month. Tons of different scenarios to separate later but for now they play with the same things and like the parties so it’s not a big deal

All of my kids have birthdays 2 weeks apart. Birthdays are that individual kid’s special day. We do them separate.

My youngest 2 are 6 days shy of being a year apart and their birthdays are only a few weeks apart and 5 years apart from my oldest daughters. We do a big party for all 3 of them, but they each get a small 6 inch personal cake with whatever decorations they choose to be on their cake. But on the actual day of their birthday we do something special just my hubby and all 5 kids so they still have their day, they enjoy having having a huge party together

My girls were 3yrs and 20 days apart, July 3rd and July 23rd. When they were little they had many birthdays together, we would buy 2 cakes and 2 sets of decorations. They would have seperate sides of the table, 2 seating areas, etc. It was easier, but as they got older we stopped having actual parties all together and started just letting them pick an outing such as zoo, aquarium, climbing place, etc to do on their bdays as a family.

My kids birthdays are a month apart (currently 8 and 4). We have celebrated their birthdays together once now and will again this year (their choice). Christmas is smack dab in the middle of both and we have a new baby coming in November. There’s a lot going on and it’s just easier on everyone and the kids still have their special day on their actual birthday.

My daughters birthday is 2 days prior to my sons. We are doing their birthday celebrations on the same day but separately (so those that would come to both can come and stay). 12-2 and 2-4.

My brother and I are 2 weeks and 2 years apart. We shared a party until my 10th. Once my mom saw that our friends no longer would play the same games or interact with each other she split the parties.
My 2 girls are 22 months apart and have summer birthdays. We did a single party for them until my oldest was 9. Their friends are always busy with family during the summer so one big party got them both the most friends there. When she asked for her own I then did her own. Parties are expensive and until they really “need” to be separate it should be fine. During our combo parties we always sang twice, once to each with their own small cake. A single party can be multi themed as well. If one kid likes barbies and the other marvel we decorated half and half.

Together is fine or maybe do together one year and separate another year. My birthday was during the Christmas holiday and my brothers was during summer vacation so we threw parties for both of us together in the summer since no one could ever come to my Christmas birthday parties.

They are separate ppl, so separate celebration. Even if it’s just small things on their own & something big together. That stuff is important to kids & when you just throw it all together, they tend to feel like it wasn’t really for them.

Together and separate!! On actual bday we do small cake and a gift from our little family. then for the party on the weekend, we have at the same time but different themes. Each kid gets their own table for cake and gifts.

Are people still having bday parties so kids can not show up and disappoint the birthday child? We get a cake for us at home a couple of small gifts and give the kids $250 a piece… My kids are 8 & 9, we’ve been doing this for 3 years :woman_shrugging:

I celebrate 2 of my kids together, the decorations are half boy half girl, daughter’s bday is the 8th Sept and son’s birthday is on the 13th of Sept. Its hard for my family to get together so that’s why we do it that way.

We have 2 daughters a week apart, we have always celebrate their birthdays together, I’ve done separate cakes and themes for them. The thing we do to keep it separate is the weekend that’s closest to their birthday is their weekend. So if they want to do dinner or movies, hang around whatever the case may be they’re free to do so. Also no chores for them that weekend we do it for all the kids in the house. Now that they’re turning teen we decided when it’s one’s 15 they get the party and the 14 can choose a different activity and then the year they’re 15, 16, the 15 will get a party and the 16 will choose an activity.

I grew up with a brother 3 years older than me. His bday is the 22nd and mine is the 10th of January. We celebrated together till we wanted our own parties then our parents did it that way.

I wouldn’t personally.

I like to offer an experience to my kids on their birthday. My 10 year old picked zip lining. Just her and me for the day was one of the best days ever.

I have two kids one week apart I asked and my oldest that’s turning 9 will not celebrate her birthday with her brother who is turning 7

Young deff do them together and when they get older let them have a say. My girls are just a year and 4 days apart so they will most likey have a joined party until they are teens but we do have a special dinner on thier individual birthday where I give them a cupcake and the family sings happy birthday to them. The we party hard on the weekend to celebrate both of them but me and my brother are 4 years and 5 days apart and by the time I was 12 I was over having a party with someone so much younger than me so I opted to skipp the party and my mom would give me a little cash and doo me and a cousin or a few friend off at the movies

I have kids 5 days apart. We do one big house party and then on their actual birthdays we take them to do whatever they want with a friend.

I have a 6 and 2 yr old their bday is a month apart . This yr we did their bday together . Each had own small cake own theme and one big cake for everyone else . The girls loved it ! Oh and each had their own piñata ! They loved it and didn’t fight about it ! Their actual bday we did something special at home for them and chose a separate date to celebrate for them both :relaxed:

We celebrate all our boys together once my mother comes home for the summer. They r within a month of each other May 17th, June 15th, June 18th. But we do celebrate separately too, they each get a special meal and desert and activity. Having cake 3x so close just is yuck. My husband and daughter are within a week of each other too August 29th & September 8th. Again we celebrate them together with extended family but they each get a special meal and desert and activity.

Both of my boys were born in April (the 3rd and the 27th) and are 3 years apart. On their actual birthdays, I make them a cake of their choosing and they get a gift. But around the middle of April, we have a big birthday party to celebrate both of them with family and friends. They have the same interests right now. Eventually that will change lol

My 2nd came two days after my first turned 3. They had combined parties on the weekend before or after. But they each have their own days. They are teenagers now and not alot of parties but they each get their own cakes/cupcakes on their birthday. I’ve tried really hard to make sure they both feel special. We shall see how it ends up when they are adults lol.

I have 4 kids, and each has a birthday buddy. My oldest and youngest son are 4 days apart and my 2nd oldest son and my daughter are 3 days apart. We throw one big party with themes for each set of birthday buddies. Thankfully the sets are 6 months apart so we just have one big multi themed party every 6 months lol

We do stuff together,separate, and random dates,lol. My son’s birthday is June 16th and we barely celebrated on July 25th because we were so busy. If your budget allows,then do separate parties,if not do them together and if possible do 2 small cakes. Whatever you want to do will be fine. I always explained to my kids when making any decisions, we can do things but on a budget etc.

Both of my kids were born in the same month, 6 years apart. I always do something with them individually, but the family celebration is together. Never an issue…

My oldest two their birthdays are 2 days apart so we always do a party together but they each get their own cake and theme they want and with them being 7yrs apart we even done one in the front yard and one in the back so my oldest didn’t have a bunch of toddlers running around with his friends. We do it this way because we know if we do one one weekend and the other the next someone wouldn’t be able to make it to both this way they both get to have all the family involved

Each child should feel special and have their own day unless they have the same b-date.

Mine are almost 3 years apart, but birthdays three weeks apart. It was up to them. Sometimes we did them together and sometimes separate.

My two oldest nieces birthday’s are 8 days apart. My sister does something separate at home for each but for family and friends does one together. They didn’t mind when they were little but now they fight about it. I would say make a way to separate it at one big party as well. Maybe 2 small cakes instead of one big.

my 2 oldest were almost exactly 1 yr apart… son 12-18 -98 and my daughter 12-15-99… we always celebrated them together, they each got their own cake but we did the parties together…

All 5 of mine that are in 3 months get small separate days to themselves. I have 11/26
12/26
1/30
2/1
2/24
6/23 is all on her own so I do a little something special for all. They pick dinner and will get gifts :gift: and stuff from me on their big day lol

My youngest son turned 4 March 14 and my youngest, my daughter turned 1 march 24th. We had separate birthdays only because it was her 1st birthday next year were thinking of combining them until their old enough to ask for separate birthdays

Did kids bdays together up until this yr with one being 13 yrs and the other 11. Mainly cuz they have such different friends it’s hard to force them to hangout with eachother haha.

I’ll celebrate my boys birthdays separately. My second is due just 3 days before my sons 7th birthday.

My kids are 3 days apart (and 6 years) we did a separate party for each on the same day. The younger earlier and the older later in the evening. Worked out great!

My childrens bdays are two weeks apart, both born in June.

I do my daughters at the end of May and my sons at the end of June.

However with Covid, I have done the last two bdays as drive-by parties and they each had their separate theme but celebrated them together!

ETA: On the actual day, they always get celebrated also! Bdays are a big deal for us!

My mom had 2 kids with the same birthday and she made sure that they had separate birthdays. Now they appreciate what she did for them. They try to spend every birthday together now that they are 29 and 25

My son and daughter are 10 days shy of being exactly 5 years apart. We do a joint birthday party, but do separate birthday dinners on or near their actual birthday.

My bonus son and daughter are 5 years and 4 days apart, July 16th and July 20th, and we have had their parties together for 6 years now. Now with them being 11 and 6 I know soon they won’t want shared parties and I’ve told them once they want separate parties to just let me know :blush:

My siblings are a year and a week apart. They were celebrated at the same time untill they were like 10 when they decided to do it apart. Your idea is great!

We get cupcakes and what they want for dinner on their birthday and open a gift. Then we pick a day to do an outing together. We normally do a water park for the outing so its normally around ones birthday or after both. But its been working for the last 3 years. 9 days apart. 6 and 7 right now.

My boys birthdays are 3 days apart and we always celebrate them together (they are only a year apart)

Mine are 2 weeks apart and I used to celebrate their birthdays together until 2 years ago and now they have their birthday parties seperate. They started asking why they had to have them together.

My girls are 6 and 4 and their birthdays are less than a month, I celebrated them together u til my oldest said she wanted her own.

As a family member/friend i would appreciate you doing it together. What if I can make one and not the other?? I don’t want 2 weekends of my time taken up for almost the same thing. You can have 2 cakes and 2 themes. Or even back to back events….

Separate. When they are grown you can celebrate on one day, but let them have their own day as kids.

I’d do a weekend celebration with each kid getting to pick activities for one day and at the end do a combined party. I imagine my parents had this question too, I came along the day before my sister’s 5th birthday.

My parents would celebrate 3 birthdays in the same day my older brother mine and my younger brother coz we were all the same month of June my older brother is one year apart from me and my other brother is two years apart from me so we would all get celebrated together so it literally was birthday month for us