Should kids birthdays be celebrated together?

My sisters birthday was two days before mine and we always shared a party. It never bothered me. She’s turning 29 and I’ll be 37 this month. We live together…and her daughter will even be turning two a day after my birthday. Our moms birthday is four days before my sister.

We all just share a week in August and call it a birthday party lol

3 Likes

My sister and I are only 8 days apart, we ALWSYS shared birthday parties when we were kids, we didn’t really mind :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

My sister and I had birthdays just one year and 6 days apart! Often my mother would invite both of our grammar school classes to a joint party! Such fun!

1 Like

Do something special for each on their day… if a family party , combine it. They can have their own cake

1 Like

Let them have their OWN day at home.
A joint party is fine though

3 Likes

My girls are a few wks apart and we’ve always celebrated them together. We do the theme differently for each of them based on what they choose. The day of their bday we make it special for them tho. We celebrate just our family at home that day with a little cake and gift. They’ve never complained. I don’t think most kids would. They’ll make it a big deal if you do.

1 Like

My daughter was born April 14, 2010 and my youngest son was born April 15 2021. My daughter is excited to share a birthday party with her baby brother at least for now. I’m sure when she gets older her feelings will change, and when they do, I’ll gladly accommodate her.

1 Like

I was totally broken when the love of my life left me it was so hard for me & I almost gave up if not for a friend who directed me to a very good and powerful man called Dr_Jesse who helped me bring back the love of my life and now he treat me with so much love and care. I don’t know what you are passing through your relationship but trust me with what Dr_Jesse did for me I know he can help you. massage him on his page all thanks to God sent man called Dr_Jesse

My girls were born January 5th and 9th one baby girl is 5 and other baby girl 6. I use to celebrate together but now they both want different things

If they are older if they want a big party that’s at like a skate rink or similar pay to party venue tell them to pick one together and still do separate cakes and presents but other wise do separate

1 Like

I have 2 nieces whose birthdays are 2 days apart and are always celebrated together… Why stress yourself to have two parties and all the crazy that comes along not to mention other people’s schedules and expect people to come to two parties and such… Way easier to do one party… And for reference they are 10 and 8 as of last week

My kiddos have birthdays on the 2nd and 4th of Sept. They are 6 and 9. Right now they enjoy celebrating together but as they get older if they want separate we will do that. We usually let them choose dinner on their actual birthday and have them open gifts/party on the 3rd for them both, works well for us so far.

My sister was born 2 1/2 weeks before my birthday we always had joint parties at least until we got older but I don’t remember hating it. Now my 2nd and 4th Childrens birthdays are 5 days apart I will be doing them on different days

My older brother and I have birthdays about a week and a half apart. We always had to share a cake and a party if there was one. I hated it. To this day being lumped together like that still bothers me. Until they can tell you themselves that they want to share a party, cake or whatever don’t force them to.

My boys are 3 weeks apart they’ll always have seperate birthdays my oldest competes with Fathers day n my baby competes with memorial day thier bdays always takes jurisdiction… My oil brother and I have the same birthday 2 years apart always had to celebrate it together and sometimes out days who was 5 days prior n I hated how it made me feel my lil brother didnt like it either always felt we couldnt be individuals or mimized if that makes sense

My nephews are 10 days apart ( 10 & 8 ) and have only had a shared Birthday party with friends once as they wanted to go to the same place…not even when they were little did they share…it’s up to you what you want to do :woman_shrugging:

At their age, I’d do 1 party. When they have their own friends, separately

Maybe give them a special gift on the day of their birthday then have a party together

My sister and I are one day apart. They did our birthdays together. And then I did my birthday without her. And now we are older we sometimes do it together other times we do it separate.

My daughter is July 30th and my son august 18th 2 years apart we do parties together and something special on the day. At least until they are old enough to want separate parties

My daughters’ birthdays are September 10th and 14th. So yes, we have done shared parties!

I have one December 13th and one December 15th. They are both boys I do them together. I have one September 12th and one September 19th but the are a girl and a boy and I won’t do them together.

My sister was born 6 years and 362 days after me. My parents brought her home from the hospital on my seventh birthday. After she came along, we always celebrated our birthdays at the same time. But even better, on my dad‘s side of the family, he has three brothers. All four of the boys got married in September. My grandparents on my dad’s side have 13 grandchildren, with eight of us having a birthday in August. My grandmother would always throw one hellacious party on Labor Day weekend to celebrate all the birthdays and all the anniversaries at one time.

1 Like

No they’re two different people have them apart,…I think

My brother and I are born on the same day, 2 years apart. Coming from someone who always had a birthday to share, even if doing a combined party, make sure that each kid is celebrated with their own interests and a separate cake. I never had my own cake until I was an adult. That stuck out to me.

2 Likes

Id say keep their individualaity
However if they like the same theme and want their birthdays together could be fun too… talk with them be upfront about the pro and con for both and let them decide… make it All about them…after all it’s their birthday

If together maybe incorporate their own special cake each
And let each decide something for the party and make it equality as special

I have two January babies that have birthdays 4 days apart. Besides my youngest 1st birthday, we do them together as the big family party. But weather plays a part in this because we have pretty bad weather then.

My daughter and her brother are 3 days apart. We do them separately. I have way to much family so I do hers the weekend before her actual day with my family members and then we throw her a party on her actual birthday with some friends and a few family members then Go have dinner. Her brother has his on his day. Usually a weekend so his family and sister and myself throw a party. Then we take them both to chucks cheese or rare air. Somewhere where they can both fun with just us.
We also do them separately because our family’s do not get along. And again mine is huge

Together for family, separate for friends (when they get older). You have to be considerate of the family’s time too, it’s a lot to ask them to come twice. You can still make it special even if shared.

My 3rd and 4th are one year and one day apart so I celebrate together

My Son and Daughter-in-law have 1 party for both of theirs. Their bdays are a little over 2 weeks apart

Right now we do our 8 yr olds and 4 yr olds birthday together, my youngest is October and my oldest is November. We did my youngest first birthday separate cause it’s a big deal

Let the kids decide. There is 9 years difference between my boys, both born in June. My oldest WANTED to share a party with his brother, even for his 1st birthday. I made sure to explain how much attention his brother would get because of turning 1, he didn’t care. In fact, all the pre teens “adopted” a toddler and had a water fight with them. They ALL had a blast. Be honest with the kids and let them decide.

My grandkids were both born in may on the same day and exactly 2 yrs apart. When they were little having them together was ok but when they got older they each wanted their on party

My brother is a year older than me - he’s Christmas Eve and I’m the day after Christmas. We always had ours together and looking back, I would not have it any other way:)

I would say the youngest 1st birthday should be celebrated separately and then after that, celebrate together. Only time I would say to celebrate separately would be the big birthdays (1st birthday and golden birthdays)

I don’t care how close your children’s birthdays are they should be able to celebrate their birthday as their day, only would I say celebrate together is if they want to !

1 Like

Me and my brother are 1 day less than a year apart and we always celebrated together. But my mom always made sure make us our own cakes. We still celebrate on the same day if we are together then :heart: and we are 32 and 31

Yes they can have a party together. Just 2 cakes with the stuff they like too.

My boys are 4 years apart and born on the 6th and the other of the 21st of the same month, we do a little celebration on their actual birth days with just the 4 of us like special dinner and little cake. On the Saturday of the week in between we have the big party with all the family and friends(well precovid now just close family) but they each pick what cake they want and we have them made separately, usually do pizza for dinner and coffee and juiceboxes for any kids. It works out because some family live far and rather than have them make it to one party and not be able to make it to the others’ I avoid not hearing the end of “why do they love him more?” Instead of understanding things happen…lol makes it easier and everyone has a good time.

I’ve always done separate bday parties for my 2 kids (October and November). I feel that it allows time for them to have that special day and not be overshadowed by doing it together and one getting more attention than the other. If they want to have a bday party together then go for it but otherwise I would have them separate parties.

I have family whose children are one week apart from each other and they shared some birthdays together it was really fun they each had their own cake and all the family was there it was nice

1 Like

I would do a joint birthday party and then do something special for their individual birthdays. Like they get to pick what to have for dinner and an activity on their actual birthday. My sister before she passed Away and I shared birthday parties since our birthdays were 3 days apart (7 yrs apart) and my mom always let us chose dinner on our birthdays and then we got to pick an activity to do. My sister 1 yr chose to rent movies and i chose to go to the skating rink. But when we did the actual birthday party we each got our own cake and had friends and family come. I wouldnt have had it any other way.

3 Likes

I have so far because my kids are young and 2 years apart exactly. But this will probably be the last year because my oldest is “growing up” now and he deserves a bigger boy party. But putting the parties together for 10 years now has made it possible for me to spend twice as much on entertainment (water bouncy slide, DJ, food, etc.)

I do birthday together two sides one 4 each age it usually turns one party really

I have 2 that are 18 months apart so their bdays are 6mos apart. I celebrate their birthdays at home individually. We do a family activity for her bday & his half bday because her birthday is spring break. We do a small party with friends for his bday & her half birthday. I do this because September is usually decent weather for outside parties & March can be too cold. Plus it’s easier & cheaper to do 1 party while they’re friends are the same. I knew a family with 4 kids who’s birthdays were all seperate. They had 1 big party in the summer at the beach every year. This way family could come celebrate all the kids instead of choosing who’s party to travel for. IMO it doesn’t matter if you combine birthdays. What matters is that you make them special. You do what’s best for you.

We have one July 1st and July 30th and we celebrate in the middle of the month with family together. We also have one May 12th and May 18th and do a family party together for the two of them, our families are so busy in the summers that I couldn’t ask them to come two weekends in a row etc. But for milestone birthdays they get an additional separate party for friends and fun. But on their actual birthday it’s their day they pick what we do and where we eat so it’s still special for them.

2 Likes

No because they all each need their special day

My kids have always shared a birthday party 2 years apart but i can’t afford 2 parties within 30 days of each other. On their actual birthday i let them pick out what they want to do for the day besides where they want to go out to eat. I make sure each child feels special on their actual bday

2 Likes

I shared my birthday with my brother, my daddy, my pawpaw, and 2 cousins. ALL by the 9th of October. Me, my daddy and 1 cousin have the same birthday.

Depends. My bros are 2 weeks apart in Feb, when they were little it would be together or joined into something both liked. Now as older teens or adults… They each choose what they want to do… One is a homebody and the other rather go to museums.

Our birthday parties ended up being family get together. I loved them. I really miss them now.

Have 1 big party for both kids but on the day of their birthday take them out to dinner and shopping for new shoes, an outfit and let them pick a toy

My sis and I are a year and 2 days apart and we never minded having our birthdays together. Twice the cake lol

My boys are 9 and 21 and there birthdays are 12 years and 5 days apart but they are so much alike they both like the same things I do one big cookout/ birthday bash for them

my three kids will be all within 10 days. First born 08/25, second 09/04, and third due 08/26. Consecutive years. Their father and I discussed that we will have a shared birthday party for them while they are young up til my oldest 6 or 7 birthday. After that since all three will be in school we will give them the opportunity to choose to have a small individual bday celebration with friends, but as their actually birthday party instead of throwing the money to entertain a large crowd we will let them pick out a place they’d like to visit and rotating the “destination choosing” each year and the other two get to pick their own activity at said location to check out.

1 Like

I share my birthday with dad and have never had an issue. However my younger sisters birthday is the day before mine. She wouldn’t let anyone talk about anyone else’s birthday in the lead up to hers, it was all about her. We had joint parties frequently which never bothered me. And my day was always mine and dads. We did 2 cakes often on our birthday.

Now my 10yo shares her birthday with her dad as well and she thinks it is amazing. The morning is always about her. She wakes up and the lounge is all set up, with balloons every where and the presents for her are on the coffee table. After she has opened her presents and is ready its dads turn.

I remember doing the same thing until I was a teen where I started telling my dad to go first because his birthday was just as important as mine.

1 Like

My nephews are a week apart and only a 3 year age gap. My sister does there’s separate. She likes them to have there own day x

I personally wouldn’t as I feel that every child deserves to feel special. Obviously there’s nothing you can do about twins or those who do happen to share the same birthday but even though it’s probably inconvenient for you I would celebrate separately

I reckon it depends on the difference in age more than anything… if they are close in age and would enjoy the same kind of party for example going trampolining then yes do one joint outing but with both groups of friends in between the birthdays… they can celebrate on their respective birthdays at home so they still have their own days but the actual party or outing etc could be shared… if the difference is age is quite a lot they are likely going to be in to different things so I don’t think it would be fair…

Mine are 3 weeks and 2 years apart. We celebrate as a family separately but did once do a single party as it was suitable for both ages. It was an outdoor adventure thing and they were in separate groups for most of it with an equal number of friends. All other years they wanted different things or they weren’t age suitable for the other.

My kids birthdays are 6 days apart (just short of a 3 year difference) I let them choose… some years they have joint others they don’t… Last year we went to flamingo land the weekend between their birthdays… Usually if they want a day out or something they celebrate together… Although on their birthdays we always do something just for the birthday child like go out for tea or soft play ect

I grew up sharing a birthday with my dad, you wouldn’t think it would be such a big deal but we always had to do something special for him and I had a jealous sister who always got gifts on my birthday (note to parents - this never ends well) and when I was little it wasn’t too big of a deal but by the time I was about 10 I wanted to feel special on my own for my birthday and not have to share the spotlight

1 Like

My kids birthdays are all close, 5 weeks 6 days between eldest and middles birthdays then 10 days between middle and youngest, unless they asked for it i wouldn’t dream of making them share their birthdays x

1 Like

My two children are 2 years apart but 3 days apart. So yes we did. They invited the in r own friends.

I have 5 year old and 3 year old who’s birthdays are 2 weeks apart and always do something sepreate for them, they deserve to feel special on there own day :slight_smile:

Me and my sister have birthdays 16 days apart. When we were in school we had a joint party between the dates for our friends in a church hall. We did something small at home on our actual birthdays

My sisters birthday is 2 days after mine (15years apart) and I’ve always felt that it should be separate. But that’s just what I’ve always preferred :grinning:

My sister and I are a day apart (and 3 Years) don’t really remember when we were little. But we are 31 and 34 now and we still have joint parties. We had a killer 18 and 21st. We are very close and very similar and it just made sense to us. We have kids 4 weeks apart, my son and niece have had a few join parties. They are almost 4. But joe like different things so will probably have different parties. X

Separate, every child deserve to have that special day. Not sharen with a sibling

Personally I would together wen little and seperate wen older but once
Like older teens I’d do it together again because they will want them in pubs ect so just do joint

I think it depends- do they share the same friendship group - if so I would ask them. If not then I would do individual celebrations

I’d celebrate big birthdays separately if you’re having a party, and not so big birthdays in one party.

Id ask them,its once a year and their own special day so i personally wouldn’t but it depends how they and u feel :blush:xx

My 2 sons have birthdays 2 days apart. So far they have had shared parties and are ok with it. When they Decide they don’t want to anymore we will give them separate ones

Birthdays celebrated on the correct days, but parties can be on a different date to celebrate multiple birthdays to save costs etc. Although I know someone who has 2 boys who were born on the exact same day, but 2 years apart ;). My kids have also gone to parties celebrating several siblings birthdays in one party :D.

I have 2 daughters that are 3 years and 6 days apart.
So they have a birthday party every 2nd year, then they never have had to share. But this year we have a 16th party (this Saturday) then a 13th dinner (next weekend) dont make them share

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should kids birthdays be celebrated together? - Mamas Uncut

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should kids birthdays be celebrated together? - Mamas Uncut

I’m a twin and hated that I never had my own day, my own celebration. And my younger brother was born 3 years later, 4 days earlier. So we often had one big party for all 3 of us. I hated it.

6 Likes

I have kids that have birthdays 1 day apart .For the first couple years we celebrate together. After gave them their own day. One boy one girl. 4 years between.

My 2 older kids birthdays are 2 days apart and their step brother is 1 day before my oldest. We celebrate each birthday individually at home but we do group birthdays for now, sorry kids! Once they start getting into their own things or have a different group of friends, we will start separating them.
My sister and my birthdays are 13 days apart and we had to share parties all growing up.

My actual birthdaywas never acknowledged…my sister was 3 weeks earlier and it was always at her birthday and center of attention with me being, yeah it’s her party too. Please make them both feel special. I’ll be 67 soon and I don’t think most family even know when mine is.

15 Likes

I do have 2 children with birthdays exactly a week apart (and Xmas in between). Each of my children have their own special day. My sons birthday is on Boxing Day, it’s not his fault he was born that day or born so close to his sister. We don’t celebrate Boxing Day in my house, it is exclusively his birthday just like it is for any one of my 5 children.

1 Like

My birthday is two weeks before my younger sister so I have some experience with this.
Personally, the toddler years are great for shared birthdays as long as there are two different candles to blow out (to avoid fights or hurt feelings). But when one requests their own party/celebration, I would honor that. My sister and I had to share many birthdays so we didn’t really get to feel “special” sometimes.

3 Likes

I have 2 within 3 days 5 years apart. I celebrated them together every year unless it was a special bday like 10 or 16 or 18. They have never minded, they enjoyed having the whole family together(I have a very large extended family) and invited some of their friends sometimes too

My first 3 kids all have a birthday in July so it’s always a shared birthday. We try to add in their separate personalities into it. They have loved it so far.

2 Likes

Do it the same day with a different theme for each child. So they each get their party with their friends and family, but friends and family won’t miss one because they are too close together

33 Likes

My kids birthdays are a couple weeks apart one year apart…I always throw them a birthday party together…when they get older I’ll throw them parties separate…but while their younger I think it’s better and easier to throw it together and it’s never been a problem

1 Like

I shared all of my bdays with my little brother…bdays are 3 days apart. I honestly never even thought about it, even as a teen. As we got older, our parents asked us what we wanted to do and we just made the time to do both if it differed. I love those memories nowadays…we both just turned 40 and 38, and I look forward to it every year💗
I think if I had kids with bday close I’d celebrate them together until or if they asked for it to be different.

I have 2 daughters with summer birthdays which are June 1st and July 25th. I throw them a party right in the middle of both. I do this because it’s so difficult to get everyone together twice within that time frame. Everyone always has vacations and other stuff going on during their summer breaks.

My 2 kids one year apart have THE SAME birthday. I’ll celebrate their birthdays together until they’re older and then I’ll let them each choose something special to DO for their own birthdays

1 Like

My boys are a month apart we have their party together but on their bday I always make that whole day special just for them!!

My sister and I were two years apart and we celebrated birthday parties together. We had a lot of overlapping friends or friends where a sister was my age and the other was her age so it worked pretty well.

yes. my kids birthdays are 5 days apart. oldest is turning 6 and youngest is turning 3. we’ve celebrated all birthdays together since little sis was born :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed: i think at some point we may do individual celebrations but likely not “parties”. our parties are pretty much family only so it’s always been easy

My step sons have birthdays 2 days apart, we celebrate individually

2 Likes

My kids are a week apart (2 years difference) and we do whatever they want each year. So they’ve chosen combined and separate parties. When they are celebrated the same day we also do a little something at home on their actual birthdays. I’m also a twin so I’ve always shared birthdays. As long as the party reflects each kid’s interests and they have fun and feel special then you’re doing it right :blush:

26 Likes

My boys bdays are 2 wks apart in July. They loved having a joint bday up until last yr when my oldest (turning 8) asked to celebrate individually and thats what we did. I personally feel it should be up to the kids as everyone sbould have THEIR SPECIAL DAY celebrated the way they choose! This yr they turned 9 and 6 and we also celebrated individually!

1 Like

I try not to overthink it, which is easier said than done. My second was born one day before my first turned 4. I give them a choice for parties, but their specific birthday is their special day.

My husband and I are also 1 day apart, so we know that some years, we want to celebrate together and other years, we just want something special for us. We can’t really make decisions for them until the time comes. They may change their mind and that’s okay.