Should my child be around when my dog crosses the rainbow bridge?

Yes…they were also a part of your pooch and as hard and sad as it is (sending hugs as it’s so hard to loose any member of the family :paw_prints::paw_prints::heart:)

I work in veterinary medicine and I personally think no. I would not have my children involved in a euthanasia. Spend the day-week together. Explain what is going to happen and why but don’t subject them to it. After sedation the dog’s eyes will likely still be open for the euthanasia. That kind of thing can haunt a sensitive child’s dreams and taint their last memories with their beloved pet. Extra emotion can make it more stressful on the pet as well. It’s fine to be sad of course! But bawling and crying out while the pet is becoming sedate can cause sedation to be less effective and take longer to set in, prolonging the stress and anxiety to the pet. For my pets and my children I would not, that being said this is your pet and your family, and only you can make the decision as to what is best for them. :heart::heart::heart: May your beloved pet run those green fields over the rainbow bridge pain free soon :heart:

It depends on your child but if you do take them have someone there that can take them out of the room if they become too upset

Yes death is apart of life. No one gets a free pass it will always hurt no matter how old you are

Yes i do …thats if they would want to .

We did a whole ceremony and burial for my great nieces dog, she was 7 at the time. She was also at the vet to say goodbye hardest thing ever for all of us, but she is fine now

When my son was 5 he let our cat while we put her down. The vet was angry with me but it helped him tremendously to know she went peacefully. Also learned about the circle of life

Everyone wants to shield their children. I lost my daughter two years ago, and the grief pages all echo the same- death makes you feel alone and people leave because they don’t know how to comfort you.

If we never talk about death and never face it - :woman_shrugging: what does anyone expect?

Yes they will be upset in the future if you don’t!

I held my grandmas hand as she passed away at 8. I think it’s good to experience the circle of life at a young age where your parents are able to help you through it.

If the dog is only STARTING to decline, I hope you will be able to continue to give him or her a comfortable, loving and loved life for some time with the help of good veterinary advice.

In my view, you certainly should not MAKE a child be present when this finally must be done. Whether a child should have the choice at 8 years is hard to say. That’s about the age I was when my grandmother died. I tried to understand it, but death was difficult for me to accept or comprehend emotionally at that age, and I am glad even now that my parents left me with an aunt from the other side of the family, who took me and my brother to a zoo during the funeral.

They say the age of reason arrives around 9 years of age.

I am 77 now, and naturally I have an entirely different emotional reaction to death and loss in general than I had as a child. But I have owned and trained many horses and dogs during my life, and have had to have a number of beloved dogs put down.
I still cannot take it well. They each were, in their time, my partners in dog sports and my dear buddies. They loved and trusted me; I loved them and was committed to giving them the best lives possible.

I would explain things to the child as the time approached. If I were going to offer an 8-year-old a choice, I would leave it strictly up to the child if the first reaction is “no.” That would be the end of it. If the child does want to go along, I still would tend to be hesitant, because the child really does not know what s/he will experience.

I think it would be hard on the vet, too. These things are already hard on vets, a fact that people don’t always consider.
I’d tend to do what my parents did in the case of my grandmother’s death. Let the child know what must happen, and why. Consider having a well-chosen successor already selected and ready to come into the family. And give the child a special day with some friends during the time scheduled for putting the pet down. Help the child mourn the loss as needed, then set a day to go get the successor, if you have not already brought it into the family.
The best way, in my view, to honor the life of a great buddy is to bring in the next buddy. I do not quite understand the feelings of people who say they will never have another dog because it was such trauma to lose the last one. If you and the dog made each other that happy, honor him by selecting the next dog you will give a happy life to; it will heal you and be great for the dog.

1 Like

I say yes. Our 5 year old grandson was with us when our/his GS mix had to be put to sleep. He understood and held her and cried but it was better for him. We all said goodbye together.

I work at a vet clinic . I also work reception so I see this first hand. 100% yes. It allows them a greiving moment and a time to see that there pet is not longer in pain .

4 Likes

Yes, this will be a great opportunity to make death a positive memory and not a traumatic one. You will have to explain how much their heart is going to hurt, and maybe not let them witness the actual event because that is hard on anybody, but this will be a chance to let them know that their pain is normal and that that means they love their dog because you don’t want to hide death from them and then grow older and fear it

1 Like

We didn’t allow our 6 yr old to come. Death is hard for their little minds to comprehend. We had to put our 12 yr old dog down in January….she’s still not ok with it…. She didn’t understand why. I’ve had to print pictures of him and her for her room, get books explaining on her level doggies in heaven and even had to get a stuffed animal that looked like him. Every night during prayers she asks Jesus to give him hugs and kisses for her. It was traumatic enough for my husband and I to be in the room, I couldn’t imagine her being there too… the vet was amazing, they gave him pain meds so we could have half an hour of him giving us kisses and then they allowed me to hold him while they put the final medication in…. I was bawling and praying at the same time…… just some things to think about before you do decide for sure.

Your pup is going to want to spend the last moments with the people he/she loves, as your child would probably want to spend the last moments of the pups life. :heart: I say yes

Please explain to your child that your doggie will be going to a much better place where he can.roam and be young again. Rainbow Bridge is a place where they wait for you.when it’s time to meet again thier really not going away you will see them again,when it’s your time. It’s the most human way when your pet is sick to let them go see you.later my friend. My condolences.

Explain gently to ur child what is happening with the family dog, and what will eventually happen if and when ur dog needs to be put down See how ur child reacts, and then ask if they would like to be there to say their goodbyes and be a comfort to the dog. And then, respect ur child’s wishes.

Death is a natural part of life. So is grief.
Explained properly yet simply in the terms an 8 year old can understand, and with good a support network, absolutely let them be there when it happens. And continue to openly discuss the rollercoaster of emotions that will follow for some time after.
I’m still grieving for my furbaby who was put to sleep (in our home) in January and I’m 50.
Death of a pet is extremely hard but can also bring some comfort to those of us left behind when you’re there with them as they cross over to the Rainbow Bridge.
Love and hugs to your Fur Baby and your family :paw_prints::bouquet:

That is a personal choice that you should make before your dog passes. I would suggest that you calmly sit down with her and ask her what she thinks of your dog being sick. If she starts asking questions then answer her truthfully and explaining as simply as possible about the sick dog. Don’t ask her what she thinks needs to be done. She’s too young to understand what is really going on. At 5 years old I would most likely take her to Gma’s house and tell her you’ll be back in a little while. Let her know the dog has to go to the Doctor. Once you come back you will be able to explain. It’s difficult. Young minds aren’t capable of talking about life and death situations.

I think you should talk about this & what the rainbow bridge is, so he will understand pupper’s is not coming back… I believe the more they know what’s going they can make there own decisions, don’t sugar coat and answer questions truthful as best you can. Good luck

If your child understands what’s going on and expresses he or she would like to go to comfort and say goodbye then yes…

1 Like

We had to make that same decision back in May. Our then 8y/o already knew that Buddy was not doing well, but we knew it was time to let him go. I struggled with making the decision myself because it was already hard on him seeing him that way not knowing why he was getting worse. I finally just had to sit him down and ask him what he wishes to do. He made the choice to go to the vet with me. It was explained that our best option was to have him put to sleep. They talked both of us through the steps and asked if we wanted to be present for the injection, my kiddo said yes because he wanted to be there for Buddy :pleading_face: was it easy—No—but am I glad I let him choose—Yes! Kids can handle more than we think and sometimes keeping them from these hard emotions isn’t helpful. The experience offered him a chance to say goodbye and know that what was happening was for the best, he showed compassion & empathy for our fur baby by choosing not to let him suffer just because it was gonna be hard to say goodbye.

1 Like

When we were in a similar situation, we told our son that our dog went to Hollywood to be in the movies (then the movie Bolt came out). Lol :joy:

1 Like

Are you having pooch put down if so from past experience it’s not nice for me let alone a child what I did was took the children with me never had them in there when the canalur was in i then took them in had a few last goodbyes cuddles kisses etc then sent them out the experience is not one I would allow mine to see

1 Like

We allowed our 10 year old in the room when we had to put our 13 year old pittie down from lymphoma
She was very much a part of the process.
We watched her be so sick and made the hard decision together as a family
And then we all were there when she was finally out of pain amd peaceful.

If it was my kid. No I wouldn’t do it. But be honest with you child, let them know what happened. Don’t lie. When my friends’ dog died when their girls were under 8 the family made a simple cake, on the top they wrote ‘We Will Miss You Thunder.’
Then at dinner that night they said a prayer for Thunder before eating the cake. There was some leftover the next day when I was over so the girls at lunch made me participate in eating the We love Thunder cake. It was one of my favorite memories in remembering a beloved pet.
I’d do something like that instead. It was nice.

I think if they can handle it then yes. It’s important for them to be part of the decision when the time comes.

Ask the child. And if they say they want to be there, then yes.

It’s good for them to say goodbye. It’s good for your pet too. It may be hard but it’s life and unfortunately it won’t be the last time tragedy strikes.

I think you know your child best. is he/ she mature enough to deal with seeing death.

Ask your child. Either way be honest. Use correct terminology. ?" The vet will put medication into her vein to put her to sleep then give medication to stop her heart. It will not hurt and she will be gone. If the parents can remain in some sort of control then leave the child out of it.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should my child be around when my dog crosses the rainbow bridge? - Mamas Uncut

I believe so. It teaches that death is a part of life.

4 Likes

Yes. They’ll resent you if they can’t be there.

Maybe explain the situation and ask your child what they want to do? That’s tough, prayers to you and your family :pray::broken_heart:

I think 8 is a good age to start having discussions about love and loss and grief…

I think so. Kids should learn how to cope with loss. And it would comfort the dog hopefully. I haven’t dealt with my kids losing a pet yet as we currently don’t have one, but I lost my lifelong family dog when I was 11. I was grateful to be there even though it broke my heart.

Yep. 8 is old enough to understand that part of life and might resent you for not allowing them to be there.

2 Likes

Ask him, he’s old enough to answer. In my opinion I say yes. It’s a valuable lesson and he will be able to say goodbye.

2 Likes

Okay, I had 2 dogs, one we had to have put down due to health and age. She was 15. My 11 year old was there, at the vet. We were broken but it helped with closure.

6 months later my male passed from old age, he was 16. He was at home with my wife. My daughter was at school, and I was at work. It still hurts that we never got to say “goodbye”.

Yes, it’s going to be rough for the kiddo. Yes it’s going to sting.

But there is closure, and that means something.

1 Like

It depends on the kiddo and their understanding of death. Mine were not ready at 8.

2 Likes

Part of life is death and figuring out how to cope with it. That’s why our pets dont live as long as we live.

Yes, Children need closure too. If you are religious, I would use this as a teachable moment. Talk about Heaven. Such a tough call though. You know your child, so you will just have to weigh the outcome your for your home.

talk to your child about your dog is getting older & his time is coming, And see how your child reacts to it, Don’t push it, They are young, they might understand to a point, If your child is close to the dog, allow your child to be with your dog, but explain, the dog might be uncomfortable, But talking to the dog is very helpful

Let it be their choice

Yes, it’s good for the 8 year old and your fur baby :two_hearts:

You are the parent and if you feel like they are ready go for it. Personally, I feel like it’s good for them to understand death, but before they see anything explain to them about death and what to expect. My daughter is 10 and has experienced a funeral already. She knows with life death happens.

If you mean when the dog is put to sleep, I wouldn’t take my kid for that part. For the burial they can be involved with that part. Id talk to them before the dog passed. I wouldn’t want my kids last memory of their dog to be seeing it die or dead.

In my opinion yes. But before it happens let the child know. My kids learned about pet death not long ago. There 10 9 @ 7 and we lost our family dog. It was so sad for us all as it was a sudden thing but.

I’m gonna go against the grain here and say no. I believe you should talk to them about the process, but the actually “crossing over” part I feel is a little traumatic for a child to witness. Maybe after they have passed they can see them one last time but I personally would not allow my child to be there.

2 Likes

I told mine he is now in doggy heaven n so happy

We did not have our oldest there, he is 8. And I’m thankful that we didn’t. Putting our dog down was hard but before they could give him the second part of the medication so he could cross that bridge he started seizing and stroked out. It was traumatizing enough for my husband and I as adult let alone our 8 year old. We didn’t know that was going to happen. We decided he wasn’t ready for that and wanted him to have the happy memories to remember him by.

Yes…so he can have closer also…I gave my kids the choice to be there when we put our dog down

Yes , your child knows the dog and you will have to explain why the pet is gone . Let your child say his/her last goodbyes .

My two granddaughters that have always lived on our property one is 21 and her sister is 9. They have been raised with chickens pigs, rabbits,cats, dogs and I still have 2 horses one passed away and I have had several old dogs that’s passed away and they understand it. It’s up to you.

Have a conversation about it. See how they feel and best determine from that conversation.

You could give them time to say goodbye without them being there for the actual happening of it. My daughter was only 4 when my dog passed and I didn’t think she was old enouh to understand. She still gets so upset that I didn’t take her (dog lived with my mom) to say goodbye.

I gave my kids (oldest is 8) a day to say goodbye and then they all told her goodbye before I dropped them off before the appointment. I don’t think 8 is ready to see that in my personal opinion, my dog struggled against the initial anesthesia and it was hard for even me to watch :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Yes. Explain the dog is going to doggy heaven and that it’s going to be okay. Keeping it from the child isn’t protecting them, you’re putting a shield.

I am also going to go against what most are saying. I don’t believe it does any good for anyone to actually see an animal or human die. I think it’s fine to let your child know that the dog is sick, probably going to pass soon, etc. but as far as them being there when the dog actually passes, I don’t think it’s a good idea at that age. I don’t think they need that memory.

2 Likes

Have a talk to him and ask if he would like to be present. He will tell you if hes ready or not. Kids are a lot more resilient then we give them credit for. Rural kids see animal death regularly and take it in their stride. I dont think this would harm your child.

only if he really wants to… and if he wants… tell him he can also walk away if it’s too much for him. in life we deal with life and death.

Yes they need to say good by to there furry friend

I would talk to them about it in an age appropriate way. Explain what’s going to happen, etc. And ASK them if they want to be there for it.

I think you should have the conversation with them about what is happening with the dog. He/she is getting older, he/she is in pain etc. Than have the conversation about what happens when you go thru the process of letting the dog cross the rainbow Bridge and then if they understand enough let them decide if they wanna be there for it. Death of people and pets is a natural part of life. Some people take death harder than others and all process it differently.

Seeing a dog die or be put to sleep can be pretty distressing. I know alotta people think it’s just them falling asleep but sometimes the animals fight it. They can get distressed at the needles. Etc etc etc. I don’t believe it’s a place for children.
I think having a goodbye day, doing things he loves. Having a doggy and kids cake. Etc etc etc and making them happy memories is nice. If I was in that situation I would also struggle to not cry which might upset the child aswell.
The difference between different children at 8 is incredible. With their maturity. But personally I think there are better ways of doing this then having them in the room at a possibly traumatic event.
My dog was ran over when I was little. I remember people crying and telling me not to look. Somebody holding me and holding me head away. I don’t know how old I was but that memory was always a nasty one for me

My 5 year old was present when we lost both of our cats…

I was about 8 or 9 and my parents didn’t let me have a choice to be there … It devastated me … I still think about it … And I’m now 42… He was my best friend ! Ask your child what he’d like to do … At least give him that option at 8 he understands so let him choose for himself …

1 Like

I had my girls with me the first time we said goodbye to a dog. Two years later when it was time to say goodbye again, my eight year old asked not to go because she remembered how sad it made her the first time.
This time it was a lot easier for her to remember our dog in a happier way.
It just depends on the child I guess.

1 Like

For the dogs sake also i say yes. A vet said the hardest part about putting pets to sleep is when its people arent there and they start frantically looking around the room for them. And that breaks my heart.

1 Like

My son just went through this with our dog at 8 I told him it was up to him and he said she’s my dog of course I’m going to be with her why would I not so we both held her and cried together until she passed.

1 Like

I doubt you’ll see this but here’s a shot in the dark.

I think the main question is has your child experienced death before?

Some of us are unlucky and know this loss early in age.

If this is a new moment, i would go against them attending.

Things can go unplanned.
This could be unintentionally traumatizing.

So please, before anything, take into account where your child is at with the level of death they have encountered.

2 Likes

Yes and explain to them what is happening. It is a part of life.

Talk to your child about it. They will let you know their comfort level. We recently lost our family cat and my son chose to be present while my daughter didn’t. They deserve the choice in my opinion.

Yes. It’s good for them to learn just make it appropriate for their maturity level.

1 Like

ABSOLUTELY…your furrbaby is part of your family…He is going over the Rainbow :rainbow: bridge…explain he will be happy and run and play with other loved furrbabies…We have done it here even with the births of kittens and puppies…they need to know…just MY opinion…sorry to hear this … prayers for your furrbaby and family​:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Yes I would leave that decision too the eight year old and make whatever decision they choose seem like the right choice. Death is so confusing.

Only you know your child’s maturity but at least let them have some time before to say their goodbyes my son (only child) was 6 when our dog passed away so we knew she was his best friend and he would need that closer :broken_heart: best of luck momma!

Yes. It’s part of the circle of life and if he has a bond with the dog you should definitely let them

IMO, no. I think if you explain they need to go see the Dr. and that they didn’t survive/died while there. That’s explanation enough for now. It can be different if you live in extremely small communities where the whole family attends funerals. But, if you live in a rural countryside where it can be normal for your family seeing this, then sure. But city-folk almost never been to an open casket, whereas I grew up seeing it from a young age.

1 Like

Yes. They have bonded and he needs to know his dog is not coming back. The dog will appreciate this last act of love also

It’s a natural part of life so I’d say yes and explain everything so your child understands

1 Like

Learning how to deal with death and grieve is a very good skill to teach your child.

2 Likes

When I was 9 we had to put down our family dog because of his cancer and i still (now almost 22) am really sad that i didn’t didn’t to say goodbye to him or be there for him when he was put to sleep.

3 Likes

Talk to your child see how much they understand what is happening. They might not want to watch the dog die but might want to have a funeral to say goodbye.

I’d let it be a learning experience if my daughter wanted to be there.

Yes… I took both my daughters with me when we had too do the same for our family dog. They had seen our fur baby decline and seen him unable to walk. We discussed it and I left it up to them but they chose to go with me and say their last goodbyes.

Death is a part of LIFE… Cheating the child from the ability to be with their dog as he dies would be cruel . yes its hard death is always hard… But sharing the last moments of life is so very important.

3 Likes

My dog had to be put down a few days ago, my-10 year old daughter was present

When our cat crossed the whole family was there, including my four year old. The cat passed peacefully so he wasn’t traumatized.

Ask! Tell them what’s going to happen, and how it will be sad & ask them if they want to be there or remember them how they were.
Make sure they know there is no wrong choice.

Ask them! Children are smarter than we give them credit for. If they want to be present, be prepared with another adult to leave if they become overwhelmed.

time to talk about it for sure don’t just throw them into a traumatic event.

Definitely ask the child. Mourning and grief are natural part of life and kids need to say goodbye if possible. Walk them through the process so they know what to expect and leave it up to them. You could always have a burial after and that might be enough. It just depends on the child of what they are ready for.

1 Like

It depends on the maturity of your child and how close they are with your fur baby. I used to work in veterinary care, and often, our doctors would explain to children what was going to happen, in a way they they could easily understand. See if your doctor can do something like that, and then let your child choose. Many kids want to share in the experience, but many also choose to remember their friend alive, and not go through that moment.

My daughter was, def a hard decision. You know your kid and do what’s best for them

Ask them if they want to be there.

I gave my son who is 14 the option if he wanted to or not. My 4 yo daughter we talked about but decided not to have here there. She’s so sensitive and emotional…it’s been a year plus and every couple of weeks she cries and talks about how she misses him. :pleading_face:

Ours died in November last year at home from old age and she chose my daughter to go lay with as she passed away it brought comfort to my daughter knowing she had been the one she wanted to spend her last breath with it was heartbreaking but helped her with the loss

1 Like