Should my ex have to help with school supplies?

Actually yes. There is child support but even beyond that there is usually an agreement to split others costs. Usually you split doctors bills, sports fees, and supplies needed. So yes. He should

4 Likes

$300 doesn’t even put a DENT in rent… not to mention gas for driving them to and from school, after school activities, doctors/dentist appts if they don’t have insurance, food, clothes, school supplies, hygiene supplies, etc… go through the court and ask for more

7 Likes

I would tell her you will be planning ahead, and will see them in court because you will be asking the court to up his child support $300 for 2 children is ridiculous, my son in-law payed $900 for one child

6 Likes

He should be talking with you directly and she should zip it. Chances are that he doesn’t want to pay anymore , but doesn’t have the guts to say so himself so he’s having her do his dirty work. For now, get them a few things at Dollar General Store and get what clothes you can at Goodwill. They both have pretty good prices and good quality stuff. Keep track of what you spend… keep receipts. If you spend more than $300 in one month, send him a text saying that he needs to help with school expenses because you spent their housing and food budget for all of their school expenses. Let him know that if he’s not going to try to help out on his own, you’ll be forced to go back to court for an increase.

3 Likes

That seems awfully low for child support. You could ask the court for more. That’s the answer SHE gave you, go for it.

4 Likes

My ex is supposed to pay child support AND half of all school and medical related costs. Anything extracurricular, he doesn’t have to.

Definitely not her place to say a thing. And yes he should help

3 Likes

Should help yes… will help is a different story but I agree with the others I would be going back to court for a reevaluation of child support

5 Likes
  1. She needs to mind her own damn business.
  2. $150 a month per child is NOTHING. You’re feeding them and providing shelter, so your expenses for them are wayyyyyy more than $150 per month.
  3. She needs to mind her own damn business.
  4. She said you’re not getting anymore money from him, I would tell that b*tch just watch me.
  5. She needs to mind her own damn business.
  6. Since your work hours were cut maybe it’s time that you go back to court and try to get that order modified.
  7. Did I mention that you should tell her to MIND HER OWN DAMN BUSINESS?

He should be helping out with those things willingly. He should want his children to have everything they need and the baby mama needs to mind her business.

4 Likes

wow thts fucked up off her

she should wanna make him step up this could be her asking in next many yrs hello ur the word gf

1 Like

She would be put in her place and let known I ain’t lay down with you and have these kids it’s his job to help and supply school clothes and school supplies not just yours and I can tell you now I have 2 in school and we’ll over $500 was spent for just a cpl outfits and school supplies she shouldn’t even be speaking to you on behalf of him he’s a grown man and unless you give permission for her to stick her nose in then her opinion doesn’t matter he needs to be a man and take care of his kids I would go back to court and get the child support raised wth is $300 a month for 2 kids that ain’t nothing but food for a cpl days not even a wk as much as prices have gone up just enough you can barely survive let alone 2 kids let him know that when you call he’s to speak or when you text he’s to speak not her and if it continues you can also have that brought up in court and a judge will let her know that ain’t her place to have any say so good luck​:pray::pray:

8 Likes

Maybe the gf needs to mind her business. That’s your and his child not hers

6 Likes

Nah school supplies are EXTRA and he needs to put his half.

6 Likes

Yes my sons father does every year without a fight. He doesn’t pay for anything else but $300 a month in child support. To care for one child is expensive and he should help

3 Likes

No. Child support is figured including cost of living, clothing, etc. It would be a great example for his children if he did, but he doesn’t “have” to.

5 Likes

I get 189 for 2 teens a month :roll_eyes: probably buys their snacks…

1 Like

I mean, it’s stupid that she replied…Clearly she’s insecure. I’d tell her you want to talk to him about it, not her

1 Like

Mine only pays 245.50🥴 and doesn’t offer to help

I think I would be talking to my lawyer. What is his income?? If your income is cut, he may have to pay more in child support.

7 Likes

They are his kids too so yes he should help with school stuff it’s only once a year and you are not asking him to pay for it all just help. Have you actually filed for child support or does he just do it? I would actually go file and maybe the judge can even put in an order that he needs to split back to school costs with you each year as well. Go talk to a lawyer.

6 Likes

Shame on the women laugh reacting this post. Today, $300 will buy 2 children a decent pair of shoes, book bags and snacks for the first few weeks. It’s hard and the prices on school supplies aren’t immune to the inflation we’re experiencing. How do I know? I’m a full time bus driver AND substitute teacher for my local school system. I see the need.

You’re asking for help for school supplies. You’re not being extravagant or unreasonable. Your children need these items to be successful in school, so don’t feel bad about asking! I mean it!

13 Likes

Did she break up your marriage?? I know it takes two - but - his children are his responsibility too - not just yours.

5 Likes

I’m not sure how child support works but I think if their is an income change with your household too you can have them reevaluate what he is ordered to pay.

3 Likes

Prove them wrong. Also save all text messages for court.

7 Likes

He doesn’t have to BUT he should want to!

2 Likes

well ummm that is exactly what child support is for to help you cover costs your income doesn’t so anything other than child support is just extra he doesn’t have to do it at all

6 Likes

First of all the new BM SHOULD NOT be responding….you asked him for help with your children from HIM not her. Secondly, that is what child supply is for girl. If your hours are cut and you need more every month because the basic needs are more expensive (I get it for real!!!) then you need to take him to court for an increase in child support. I get the frustration with the cost of sending kids to school. I was appalled on how much it’s costing me this year for middle school! But clearly he doesn’t see that those “once a year expenses” mean we need help at that particular time. It should be obvious to him (her thought and vies are irrelevant) but since it isn’t, let the courts help him see it!

1 Like

I personally think she should not be involved in what goes on between you and him with y’all’s children. I also receive child support and it’s truly not enough to cover everything. I don’t ask for anything extra though but that’s a personal preference.

3 Likes

Well take him back to court and have the child support go up because 300 is not enough for 2 kids ! She shouldnt be answering you anyway .

1 Like

Could you take him back to court yet for more

Ooohhh biiiiicccchhh I’d be rushing to the judge to get that child support INCREASED!! You all have TWO kids together no way $300 a month is court ordered unless he works a minimum wage job! And I’d get back pay for all that he hasn’t given you what is owed and maybe that way she can keep her $tup1d little comments to herself!!

1 Like

When I was a single mom of 7 kids I worked 4 jobs. I did what I had to do to support my kids. Maybe look into taking on another job. Yes I got child support but it wasn’t enough. I worked a lot. But also spent quality time with my kids. It can be done

2 Likes

Child support should take care of that

4 Likes

Bottom line, yes he should help if he can, and yes, his new baby mama has the right to comment … because his income is now part of their joint income, like it or not. However, if she was any kind of decent mother, she wouldn’t interfere in his efforts to provide for his kids with you. The kids are the ones in need, and the kids are the ones who will suffer the consequences of having to go without. He’s their dad. He should want to do everything he can for his kids. $300 a month is not enough to provide for their monthly needs, much less the added expense of school supplies. Does he buy them birthday and Christmas gifts, or does he expect you to buy presents from him out of the child support money? It’s the same difference when it comes to back to school supplies. It’s a once a year additional expenses that doesn’t fall under monthly maintenance for the kids.

7 Likes

Request an increase on your child support since they wanna play that game. $300 is nothing for 2 kids imo. I get $450 a month for my one kid. And if she keeps getting in between you and your kids father get a restraining order. That’ll keep her mouth shut. Make sure you save any messages from her.

4 Likes

Child support plus half of the expenses is how my agreement would read .

7 Likes

In my court order it states after child support everything is 50/50
I usually take care of everything myself because I budget it in their child support and of course that’s for the kids. They have their own account where it goes to and that money is for them. Whatever they need. If kids ask their dad for stuff thats on them on their time. They did come home with school supplies, shoes and backpacks that their dad bought them. But ultimately its up to him if he wants to help. I don’t ask him for anything. My oldest dad doesn’t help at all besides child support and I dont ask him for anything either. I buy everything for him. His child support is a joke but I do what I need to make sure my kids have what they need.

1 Like

To the ladies that say child support should take care of that are the ones with the baby daddy paying that or less amount in child support.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t be dealing or talking with her whatsoever. I would make sure I spoke with him about it only and make it clear it him it needs to work this way in order for it to work civilly. $300 really isn’t a lot of money but I also don’t know what he gets paid. I would talk to him when he drops the kids off or whatever and if he refuses then see what your options are to get the money you need. I wish you the best, it’s not easy! My daughter’s father doesn’t give me a penny, I have to go to court too.

4 Likes

Been there, done that!

My ex husband pays $358/mo. So I Have to cut my house payment in half and he pays half of that half… Same thing with electric water and food cost. So $110 (House) $50 (Electric) $15 (Water) $100 (monthly groceries)… Equals $275 of what he is basically responsible for. Medical and Dental is as needed and is 1/2 of what’s owed after my insurance picks up. But he is not responsible for my car payment or anything else. Now when my daughter gets a car and needs insurance I will ask him to pay 1/2 on her insurance but if he refuses there’s nothing to be done about that.
Now about school supplies and school clothes… He probably should help with that but I make money also and have no problem taking care of that. My daughter also takes dance classes and cheers every season which can get pricey but I have never asked him to pay for either of those things.

1 Like

Yes he should help make sure his child has what she needs .

2 Likes

I get $0 for my twin boys…he just doesn’t pay…and my order isn’t Even for that much…for 2 kids…

Not enough info for me to really say anything. But if the child support is court order and that’s the amount they order it might be hard to get anymore out of him unless he got a new job that pays more since then.

$300 for 2 kids? That’s not enough. Yes, he should pay at least half of the school supplies & clothes. Not to mention that 1 extra expense a year. It’s not like you’re asking him to pay more child support every month. & if he would rather his kids go to school w no supplies & clothes from last year than to help them out, that says more about him & his bm. You have every right to be upset. I would keep all receipts for the next 6 months & keep your bank statements & go ask for more child support.

6 Likes

He should pay it 300$ is nothing! Half of expenses too is normal I believe

2 Likes

My kids father,sends $199 a month for 2 kids.I work and bust my butt without help.It sucks big time but,I got my kids school clothes and supplies done.He should be helping you regardless.My kids father,told me,I’ll see what I can do(he’s never helped me at all)

On the flip side, look for give aways for supplies locally. Churches, community centers, etc. Kroger/king Soopers had a whole bunch of stuff 10/$10, backpacks can wait another week or so, use last years.

Well damn you got it good, I get 125.00 for 2 which hasn’t been paid in months. I do it all by myself mostly, his mother will by them stuff or she gives him money for the kids. Maybe try to put money away for these school supplies throughout the year. Find the deals?

In courts it should be child support and then 50% of necessary extras (school supplies, field trips, medication, glasses, extracurriculars…).

My ex and I just work it out and discuss it before hand. I don’t ask him for 50% of medications and glasses because my partner and I have benefits that cover it.

3 Likes

I also struggle with it. I work to cover everything as best as I can. He does occasionally help out but he believes what he pays is all he should give but he barely gives $195 a month because his stupid boss is helping him out by paying him under the table. $195 does not feed our son 2 weeks much less pay for his other needs. They are jerks and sooner or later hopefully karma will bite them in the a$$

Some women get extra salty when you ask there significant others for some help. More than likely you’ll get nothing. But atleast you asked. Eventually when children are old enough they understand who was there and who wasn’t. Atleast that is the situation for me.

This is highway robbery you best believe he would be helping or I would be raising

I would ask him personally
And if he said no than no
Go from there.

1 Like

What if his hours get cut from work. Does he get a break from child support?? Hell no he doesn’t. Where’s family to help? He did his part by paying child support

10 Likes

That’s none of her business your children’s upbringing is between you and their dad not his replacement wife!
I’d go for extra child support
You tried to get a polite way but got ambushed by the Mrs. Approach child support now.

6 Likes

My ex decided that he wasn’t gonna help with softball fees … $450 … cause he bought haircuts. I get 188 a month for 2 kiddos. Whatever. I’ll pay it. Not worth the fight

1 Like

My husband pays $520 for one kid but has full custody of his other two children…

No it’s not right and when you break the 300 down it’s 37.50 per kid per week that’s a poor excuse of a father. He needs to do more and you need to demand more period

2 Likes

The only reason I get help from my ex for school is because we put it in parenting order.
Your ex definitely should be helping though

3 Likes

Yes he should definitely be helping. It’s not like you’re asking for more child support every month. If you are needing help with his and your children he should help and I’d be trying to bypass his lady on that question.

6 Likes

It’s nothing to do with the girlfriend it’s between u and your x and hel ya dead beat needs to pay for all the school clothes. Take his ass back to court and he’ll be paying more than $300 for sure nowadays $300 is not enough for toilet paper for the month you need to check yourself. You need to be right there when you catch this damn check and take what’s yours.

$300 a month is nothing in child support, especially for 2 kids. Also the children you have with him are not any of her business. If your hours are cut, then maybe go back to court and see if you can have child support increased.

7 Likes

Go back to reevaluate. Get your support, have them pay a portion of ur medical, childcare, extra curricular and school supplies as part the order. Sometimes it already is. You just supply the receipts and it’s added. Or talk to him not via text.

6 Likes

Take him to court and request help since the children are in school. Or increase child support. $300.00 isn’t enough to support them properly with the cost of living going up.

3 Likes

Local churchs giving out supplies and backpacks . Salvation army too.

1 Like

Of course u can ask and he should try and help if he could but I think that’s what his child support if for to pay for things like this ,

3 Likes

2 kids on $300 a month child support is a joke. He should be ashamed of himself. That is $5 a day per child, let’s see him take care of a child on $5 a day. He Is a pathetic jerk!!!

8 Likes

It’s difficult to answer without knowing your situation/context of agreements etc when you split up. However, given you go through child support, that’s all he is required to pay.
I’m sure he pays for other things for your children when they are with him?
Given he now has a new baby too - he’s also paying for that child (whether or not they are together).

It depends on how well you get along with him and his new partner. My ex is still one of my greatest friends, and I get along famously with his new girlfriend. He’d help me out in a heartbeat and his new girlfriend wouldn’t mind. But it’s swings and roundabouts - I also help him out with other things too when they need it (like swapping days around so they can plan stuff together etc).

So I guess it comes down to:

1. He is ONLY required to pay $300 a month;
  2. How well he and you treat one another;
  3. How well you and the new partner treat one another;
  4. IF they have the capacity to help out anymore financially?

You could make arrangements with the school to pay off supplies and uniforms? Good luck mumma xx

1 Like

Legally she’s right unless your parenting agreement states otherwise. Take him back to court & ask for the court to order him to pay half of other expenses like school supplies, fees, other educational & extracurricular activities. The children shouldn’t have to suffer because the girlfriend is greedy.

2 Likes

Everything should be 50/50. If you buy clothes/shoes/school supplies/haircuts, he should pay half. Child support is CHILD support, not mom support. It’s not his fault your hours were cut, it’s not his job to pay for your things. You are not his responsibility anymore. You should pay half and he should pay half and the child support is to compensate for him not having his children 50% of the time. HOWEVER. If your custody agreement is you have your children 50% of the time and he has your children 50% of the time then he should pay for shit on his time and you should pay for shit on your time and there shouldn’t be child support if he is putting in half the work raising these kids. The only thing that should be paid for 50/50 at that point should be school supplies and medical bills, but the things he pays for at his house on his time with the kids should be paid for with his money and stay at his house and the things you pay for on your time should be paid for with your money and stay at your house. You aren’t his responsibility, child support is to support the child and should be given to the parent who has the kids the majority of the time to compensate for the other parent not putting in half the work to raise the kids.

Legally he’s not responsible for more than the $300. Morally he should try. Expect this though if he’s continuing to create mouths to feed. Speak to him versus text next time. Don’t waste time being concerned about her. She may be in your shoes one day. I wish you well.

None of her biz period :grimacing:.

2 Likes

Yes he should help with school supplies. $300 a month is not really enough especially in today’s day and age. It won’t hurt him to buy some of the school supplies.
If it were the other way around he would be asking you for help too.

That’s what the child support is for. If you think about it $300 is fine, that’s his half, so if you put your half in $600 a month is More than enough, also stop being so jealous

4 Likes

I agree with you. I have been in the same position but without any support.

I would text back and say the cost of living has gone up very very high and if she doesn’t want you going back to court to raise the child support permanently they can try to help with school supplies their is no way in this world right now 300.00 pays so shit !! That’s not even my food bill :woman_facepalming:t3: granted I get a whole 73.00 but that’s because I know they do not have anything at all and can’t pay and don’t want to hurt anyone but that being said if I asked for help they would still try

I only got about that a month but it was also specified that he had to pay 60% of any school supplies (excluding clothes), 60% of anything needed for sports equipment and registration fees, and I carry their Health Insurance so 60% of that too including any copays and anything not covered.

2 Likes

If your income has lowered then I was ask for a modification through court and if there is enough of a decrease they will up his monthly payment to you.

He should but unfortunately won’t because he will say “I already pay 300 a month”… Smh… I would save yourself the stress of even asking him… Smfh

I agree he should help. Just because he pays $300 doesnt mean things dont come up and you need a little extra help even if he just bought their supplies it would help.

That’s literally what the child support is for. However he should not have a problem with helping extra when needed.

I can’t put what I want to say because I will be on Markie marks jail but we would have a nice face to face visit boo​:woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

Depends, if they are married absolutely yes she gets a say especially seeing as how she has a baby on the way and the extra money needs to go towards that… so I see her point of view… if they are not married yes if able the father should be helping pay for those things but child support should also be helping go towards that

I believe he should help.
I mean as split parents is up to the person raising the child to keep a roof over their head. Transport to school. Supply food. Supply clean clothes and hygiene products.
$300 a month does not cover half of that.

1 Like

I’d be most pissed about the girl responding instead of him honestly lol. This whole situation is crap but sadly something I’m super used to. They don’t think about how much goes into full-time parenting honestly. Id be big mad too mama! Such a crap response to a simple request that should be easily met. I didn’t get a cent for years but now I think if I asked my ex he’d step up.

2 Likes

I get 70 dollars a month so I have nothing to say but I wish I got 300

1 Like

At least you’re getting child support its something. Of course he could do more. But according to the law he is doing what he is supposed to. My sons dad don’t even pay for his child support let alone anything else. I would just be happy with him fulfilling the child support obligation.

Our child support rep said back to school supplies are covered through child support, technically other parent is not obligated to pay more.

You can approach the topic again with dad but calmly and kindly.

He’s basically paying $37 a week per kid. He should insist on helping with extras like school supplies and clothes.

2 Likes

They should!!! But sometimes it’s not worth the stress- pick your battles.

2 Likes

I would just be grateful he pays his part each month. If it was settled in court at 300.00 then so be it. You can petition it and have another hearing to get more child support if it’s not enough and maybe say during times such as back to school etc, a little extra help is needed and asked for but refused. So I want to raise the support to 400 or 500. But honestly for him to actually be paying monthly is shocking this day and age so I’d be glad for it but if you truly do need more help I would be asking for a raise in CS in court if he refuses to help. I have two children and 300 isn’t more than enough as someone said. Maybe 300 per kid. 300 is a normal allotment… When you have a few extra hundred added for an expense then the 300 dollars doesn’t go very far after using it for what you do in a normal month. I would also mention it to the dad that if he’s not willing to help out on certain occasions that you’re just going to have to go back to court and see if child support can be raised because with inflation and the way the economy is it’s getting too difficult for two kids with 300 a month. That’s literally $150 per child.

If your hours were cut and he won’t help then modify support…

3 Likes

It’s tough goings out there. Especially if you yourself are living off a single income. He should want to help and not have your kids go without, you can’t beat yourself up for asking, but you also can’t make people care who don’t. School supplies happen once a year so it is a little outside the normal expenses. Maybe you could ask them for certain things to buy instead of money… maybe they would be more understanding. If they still say no I wouldn’t press it anymore. You’ll be on your own.

1 Like

Your suppose to file for modification. Once bd is on child support, you deal with the court.

Be grateful for getting child support… there’s a lot of us who don’t get any… 15 years and counting…

2 Likes

Go back to court and see if you can get more child support since your income dropped if he doesn’t care about his kids

In the courts.eyes.he dont have to and.u being mad.well that’s on.u lol he pays his child support just cause your struggling dont.mean u get more. From him plan ahead

1 Like