Should my husband check his own pockets when I do laundry?

My thing is if you leave it in your pocket it’s mine and if I find money it’s laundry money and my tip for doing your laundry :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

We have replaced many wallets. 1) women’s pants don’t really have pockets 2) If my pants do have pockets I empty them. 3) start doing your own damn laundry.

1 Like

Yes he absolutely should!!

Yours actually gets it IN the hamper? Near the hamper? In the same room as the hamper???

I have a great guy in so many ways but he legit is INCAPABLE of putting laundry IN the hamper. Laundry days consists of me going around scavagingnfor his clothes.

I have accidently washed his wallet three times now. I do check pockets but I am human (read mom with kids and a life besides just laundry)

I’ve never had to check pockets before I start laundry cus mine has a shelf in our room where he empties his pockets every night. He knows I’m not gonna remember to check and stuff will get washed if he leaves it in his pants :woman_shrugging:t3:

I like checking pockets it builds my bank account up if I find money it’s mine lololol :joy:

My husband and kids know they better check their pockets because I don’t. Also I keep anything thing I find, I have a big collection of pocket knives and a big jar full of change.

Check the pockets especially since you’re already doing the laundry… if money is left inside it’s your money now :joy:

What’s the big issue? If your doing the washing check it, takes literally a few seconds. My partner is horrible for leaving change in his pockets and I’m forever checking them but I don’t complain, he works long hours and pays most bills as I’m not working at the moment due to health stuff , so it’s no big issue, just check it… :woman_shrugging:t3: just my opinion really.

2 Likes

I been picking up after my husband and un folding socks putting clothes right side taking stuff out of his pockets :roll_eyes: for 37 years and I wouldn’t trade it he is very good husband u only get irritated when he leaves cabinets open and when he does it I go in and open everyone he stops it for awhile and I do that every time it’s like kids making a mess one day you will miss it

I check all pockets before putting things in the washer out of habit. If it bothers you so much tell him you won’t wash his laundry.

If I wash it fold and hang it…he can check pockets and turn his damn socks the right way.

I do not check pockets and neither does my husband so what ever he loses is on him and if I find money it goes to the kids , I do everything at home and im not the slave

If I could get my hubby to put his clothes in a hamper I’d be happy. He’s a general superintendent for a construction company & when he walks in the front door boots come off, then shirt, pants & socks. Wherever they fall (usually kitchen through dining room to bathroom) is where they stay. Sometimes I pick em up (if really dirty or muddy they go back outside on porch for him to clean) other times I kick em in a pile for him to get after his shower.

1 Like

It absolutely infuriates me when he leaves things in his pockets!! It is another ridiculously easy task that seems to hard to do and I think it’s thoughtlessness and Laziness!! :rage::rage:

Get a large jar, empty coffee container and empty his pockets, you get to keep what he leaves, even if it is his wallet. When my ex lost all of his cash he stopped leaving stuff in his pockets.

I check them and keep whatever I find. Once I broke his habit of leaving toothpicks in there. I’ve warned my 8 yr old as well. I told them both it’s a finder’s fee if I’m doing the laundry whatever I find in the pockets, bottom of the washer, or the dryer, it all becomes mine😉

I make my husband check his own pockets :woman_shrugging:t2: he always has exacto knives in his pockets because of his job and one time his pack of blades opened and I cut myself. So he has his own laundry basket and he checks his own pockets lol

I will sometimes check but my husband knows well enough now that if he leaves anything in his pockets there is a chance it will go through the wash after his wallet going through a couple times lol.

1 Like

You people check pockets?? :crazy_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth::rofl:

Nope not your job, and don’t forget the golden rule- Anything you find in the wash is your tip for doing the wash. So if my husband doesn’t remove cash from his pants it now becomes my pay for the day.

1 Like

My husband does his own laundry. Always has and always keeps his spray from everyone else’s. He doesn’t always check his pockets but knows it’s on him if he doesn’t.

Check his own damn pockets!! :rofl:

I check pockets and keep what I find lol, however that said if he comes home with grease stains its his responsibility to wash that item himself because i don’t have time to scrub, soak, scrub and soak I am the type that would just throw it away lol

Men are taken care of their whole life

1 Like

Of course he should! Hes lucky you do his laundry. Everyone in my house over 10 does their own laundry or goes naked.

4 Likes

I would love to tell you yes but its not gonna happen weather he should or not im 22 and my fiance does not do it his stuff normally gets washed because I forget to check his pockets because normally im trying to hurry up and start the washer because my 1 year old likes to get into everything and my 2 month old needs fed or something else

I don’t check pockets. After a certain age you are responsible for your own stuff. My husband is a grown man. If he can’t be bothered to empty his pockets than neither can I.

2 Likes

I check no ones pocket. My mom taught me to check my own pockets or its lost and thats how I do laundry. So my husband does his own anyway.

1 Like

He should empty his pockets since he’s the one filling them :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:

Tell him to wash his own clothes if he’s going to complain

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out why you have 4 loads of laundry per day. That’s quite excessive. Also, I see no reason both can’t check. Mistakes happen. Also, no point in skipping it and risking ruining something that could have been saved and it being a waste of money due to a petty argument. Can’t be washing THAT many pairs of his jeans on the daily.

1 Like

Yes as a fully grown man he most definatly should

The reality is he won’t

I’m 7 and half years in with my husband im pregnant with out 3rd , I will have 3 under 5 years old…

If your pockets arnt empty … I will check always as I love my washing machine …

Then your clothes ain’t getting washed buddy !!!

1 Like

3 or 4 loads of laundry a day?

Lol my hubby and I have the same debate. If it’s in the washing basket it’s tipped in! :rofl:

Stop doing his laundry until he checks his pockets

1 Like

I only check my husband’s work pants because he uses these crayon looking things and yes I have accidentally was and dried a few and it got all over the other clothes so now I check those but other than those I don’t check his pants and whatever I find in the washer and dryer is mine to put in and change jug :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I check pockets and just put aside what I find. Usually it’s my stuff because of my job but I have found other things here and there.
I return what I find.
I’m not going to punish someone or ruin their things all because they forgot. I’m the worst in forgetting. We help each other out and have each others backs.

Some of these comments blow my mind.

5 Likes

Ask him to check them but it only takes a second to check them yourself as well.

No I’ve never checked pockets and I keep all cash found in the laundry

1 Like

I only check the last pair of pants he had on because that’s where all his stuff should be if there is any, but he’s usually pretty good at emptying his pockets. I feel like this is kinda petty and you should learn to pick your battles. Too often we sweat the small stuff when we don’t really have to.

1 Like

Yes he should!!! This has been a topic here for over 20 years!! And he still leaves shit in his pockets! Only difference…he doesn’t throw a fit and blame me anymore!

When my hubby puts his clothes in the laundry he makes sure to check his pockets… he hangs fiber so often every pocket has cable fittings or zip ties or other work related crap and I try to double check his pants just so my washer is bombarded with crap but he does a good job getting it most of the time. If he leaves his pants in the bathroom and hasn’t put it in the laundry then I know for sure I need to check the pockets. My laundry is always caught up so its not a big deal to check pockets I don’t have a ton to dig through.

I don’t check pockets!

My husband washes his own clothes I wash mine and my daughters. Whatever he washes is his responsibility but if I did wash his no I wouldn’t check his pockets.

1 Like

Yes. I don’t check anyone’s pockets.

I feel ya. I don’t check pockets and if I find money in the washer or dryer it’s mine. I consider it a tip.

2 Likes

We’re a family of 6. I do not check pockets!

I check my husbands pockets and my sons.

Lol wash it :rofl: if it messes his stuff up he will quickly learn to check his pockets :joy:

How can you possible have 3-4 loads a day? I have a 7 & 5 year old who have school uniforms & change once they get home & then change again after their showers everyday plus my 8 month old who has blowouts sometimes plus me & hubby. We have 3-4 loads a week. I’d die if had had laundry to do every day. That’s what I’d be complaining about that, not no damn earbuds & change.

I would be more worry about the dogs that sound like they are suffering :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

1 Like

No they need to check their pockets we have enough to do. I was my husband the other day. He still fussing. Lol

I tell mine to check his or he loses whatever is in them. I have 5 kids, 2 pups, and 3 cats and a job. His pocket load is the last of my worries

2 Likes

I have to check my boyfriends pockets. I also have 2 dogs, 10 chickens, a 16 year old, a 2 year old, and a 1 year old :woozy_face:

His fault. I wouldn’t check.

1 Like

Everyone in my house knows if you don’t check your pockets its mine. I’ve accumulated $30, a fidget spinner case, ear buds, tissue (:face_vomiting:), candy and small toys last year. This year nothing. They learned.

:woman_shrugging: my fiance does his own laundry. He needs to check his own pockets & wash his own clothes. :joy::joy::joy:
I do everything else (my daughter’s clothes & bedding, my clothes, our bedding, towels, wash cloths etc). He’s messy and half the time I have no idea which is clean & which is dirty sooo he does it himself & I don’t have to worry :joy::joy:
Also, he’s bad about money. He had an envelope of cash from work (he manages the money for him & his dad) & it fell off the table. I found it & told him yeah I found your envelope of cash and he was clueless. I gave it to him and it was like $400 or something? :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::joy::joy::joy: He wouldn’t have had any idea it was missing like :eyes::eyes: I don’t keep the money bc I don’t go anywhere (don’t drive) & he gives me money if I do.

I refuse to empty his pockets. If something goes through the wash that he doesn’t want through the wash, oh well that’s on him. He is a grown ass man, he can empty his pockets like one. I don’t get why some men feel like they have to be babied

He can empty his own pockets. Seems like this should be a normal step before taking the pants off.

You left it, you lose it in our house

2 Likes

I told my husband and kids whatever I find in the wash or pockets, because I do check before washing, is now mine and they are SOL

1 Like

Im only accountable for my own stuff. My kids and hubby know if they value something then take care of it and empty their own pockets. Im not my hubbys keeper he is a grown up man that is capable of taking care of his own stuff. I only wash what is in the bin as well - im not picking up items they tossed on the floor so pockets better be empty when its in the bin.

I check his pockets bc mine works on planes for 10+ hours a day/night and tends to forget safety wire and pens in his pockets. He works hard at what he does and comes home exhausted, the least I can do is make sure to check his pockets. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I get you’re overwhelmed mama, but you’ve got to pick your battles. Maybe instead of getting upset over the pockets, see if he will help with something that will take a ton of actual stress off you like training the dogs not to pee in the house. I know I’d prefer that over getting salty about checking pockets which takes less than a minute to do. :relaxed:
Or maybe see if he will take the kids for a few hours so you can do something out of the house without kids, like go grab a coffee and wander around somewhere and just remember what it’s like to breathe for a minute. Best of luck to you!

1 Like

I always check my husbands pockets. Finders keepers.

1 Like

Nope. I ask him to check his pockets. I have a million other things to do around the house and it helps that he gets his laundry situated before I wash them. He dips and lord it makes me mad when I wash a can of dip.

He’s grown. You check children’s pockets not adults. He shouldn’t be throwing it in the laundry basket with stuff in the pockets that’s on him. And if he’s just leaving shit on the floor for you to pick up that even more on him.

I don’t check. But whatever is in the washer or dryer besides clothes is mine!

Nope I check that’s my change now :joy::sweat_smile:

I dont want to do laundry for free. If i am doing it i need motivation so i must ne the 1 to search the pockets.

With my husband i am never disappointed i find money 90% of the time​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

I’ve had to check my kids pockets for years. Its just natural to check everyone’s pockets now. Lol

1 Like

I say if I have to check pockets I keep what’s in them it’s only fair. Your husband is a grown adult that should take care of his things himself.

1 Like

If he doesn’t, I keep what I find. I made almost $50 last week :rofl::joy:

3 Likes

If he had good stuff in his pockets you check them and keep what ever is found. If he is like my husband and only keeps pens and crap that ruins my laundry, he can do his own damn laundry

I don’t check my husbands pockets. He usually takes it out and puts it into his pants he’s got on. He does his laundry on his own a lot too so :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I check pockets. All change and lighters become mine :woman_shrugging:t2: anything over 5$ I’ll give back but besides that your shit outta luck lol.

He works his butt off for us. I check his pockets and my childrens if he works and your home with the kids checking pockets and laundry kinda goes with it. I also do all the house work and take care of my other half, 4 children, 2, dogs, and 3 cats. Maybe I’m old school but I’m a stay at home Mom with a 16, 15, 13, and 11 year old.

3 Likes

What makes it to my laundry room is now mine . :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I don’t check pockets. Do it yourself

And if you don’t right side out your clothes when you take em off, they get washed and put away like that

2 Likes

Check his pockets for money lol I check my own pockets when I do my laundry :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

No you’re not crazy! Happily handed off my husbands personal laundry to him this year… it’s his responsibility since I do all other laundry in our home.

3 Likes

I think he should be doing a lot more than just that. I could be wrong, I’m not trying to act like I know anything considering I don’t even know your name or anything, but it sounds like you’re trying to get him to make a tiny concession because you need help and he’s not helping you, and the emotional burden of your partner’s refusal to help you on top of all the many things you are trying to get done feels like too much. I hope he does agree to check his own pockets, that’s certainly very reasonable, but you’re taking care of everyone and if you need help and he is a good person he will step up and help you. The checking of the pockets seems rather symbolic me.

2 Likes

I have never and will never check pockets :joy: my grandmother made me check and make sure my pockets were empty before any pants landed up in the wash :grimacing: so if anything lands up in there because you didn’t check pockets that’s not my problem :joy: so far I’ve washed car keys, a couple USB’s candy wrappers :woman_shrugging:t3: money :woman_shrugging:t3: not my problem :grimacing:

1 Like

I have 4 kids, 5 cats, 2 dogs, 1 husband and a 2000+ 4 bed 2 bath home to clean I wash all his shit ear buds, ink pens, business cards, if he don’t take it out oh well not my problem I got shit to do. If it feels heavy I do pat it down a lot of times its his knife or wallet those I throw back on the damn floor :rofl: i keep his clothes completely separate from mine n the kids n if he doesn’t put them by the wash then they don’t get washed :woman_shrugging:

Steaks for the drip line sprinklers, Christmas light fuses, various tools, are just a few things I have found in the laundry from my dearly beloved. Good luck with this! Tell me the secrect if you find it.

1 Like

Idk lol I always check pockets! Lol I don’t want a marker or a crayon or something changing the colour of the clothes!

He’s a big boy…he can wash his own clothes!

I check my husband’s pockets because whatever is in it is going to end up mine lol

1 Like

My husband wont ever check… I have washed so many things of his. Lol im usually good a checking but some times im so tired i just throw shit in and hope for the best also i try to check his work pants bc i will usually find money and it’s like im getting paid to do laundry and ill take it lol

Whatever you find in his pockets, is now yours. Hes a grown man and if he can’t do something as simple as that, :woman_shrugging:t3: its yours now. Hope he keeps cash in there so you can go get your nails done

If I take on the responsibility of doing the laundry, the people I do it for automatically take on the responsibility of checking pockets. Now I do tend to check pockets only because I don’t want ink pen to explode on my things. But if I find something, it’s mine.

Check the pockets… its is part of doing the laundry…otherwise you are just washing clothes…I suggest maybe getting those older kids to do it as a chore that they can surely handle at that age… and take a deep breath…lol

My husband does his own laundry because he’s a grown person & I’m not his mother.

3 Likes

I only check pockets for money

Men don’t think of the simple things that could make our lives easier. After ruining a watch in the laundry mine started to get better about checking his pockets…I did anyway tho just to be sure.

1 Like

No. Ask him to do his own laundry. You have alot to do already.

The rule in my house is anything found in laundry becomes mine. I have a mason jar with most of my finds.

The bigger question is why he’s not willing to help you by doing this one little thing…don’t ask, TELL him he is responsible for HIS belongings in HIS pockets. Teach your kids to do the same. And no, it most certainly is NOT too much to ask. Maybe he’ll learn to check them if a few more sets of earbuds get washed and dried…Opposite! Lol!

Just think of it as a little quirk. I do a quick check when I pick up the clothes for wallets and chapsticks as I have washed his wallet once which resulted in needing a new bank card. I don’t want to go through that again in the pandemic.

I don’t complain bc he does so much for me to balance my imperfections. I’m terrible at locking the car door and remembering to get gas. He does that for me without asking.

Your choice. When I first got married I didn’t search pockets but after a ball point pen ruined a load of white clothes I started checking and have for 60 years. Now as my boys got older I told them what I found was mine. They started checking.