Should my husband push for paid leave?

FMLA is offered throughout the US for fathers to take UNPAID leave to use for birth of their child.
Only 5 states in the US currently mandate PAID paternity leave. NY, NJ, DC, CA & RI. If you don’t live in one of those 5 states, you’re risking him losing his job over a fight that you don’t really have a leg to stand on. I agree, it sucks and should be offered everywhere. But I’m sure it’s spelled out in paperwork he received when hired whether or not paid paternity leave is offered or not.

3 Likes

Push for the paid leave! Employees have the high ground right now so it’s best to use it.

It will end up going to their legal department and then to court because the company is not going to hand it over unless told to do so. You will both stress out over it and the time you have bonding with your baby will have an undercurrent of tension. Take what leave he has accrued and enjoy your baby

It actually depends on the company. Just take advantage of it.

So where I worked they didn’t even pay the mothers maternity leave if you didn’t have vacation time or pto they told you oh well. With my son I took off 12 weeks but it hurt us so when I had my daughter I only took off the recommended 6

That’s not being a Karen lol I would push for it

1 Like

He can push for anything he would like, but if the company already told him no,he may be out of a job; Especially, if you live in a “at will” state. That means they can let u go ( fire you) at anytime.

4 Likes

Why are
You even asking

l g­e­t p­a­l­d o­v­e­r $ 1­3­0 p­e­r h­o­u­r w­0­r­k­i­n­g f­r­o­m h­0­m­e. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 15986 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

https://goldenjob40.wixsite.com/my-site

2 Likes

There is a reason women get the paid leave … women are the ones physically giving birth. So it’s not just a choice for them to take the time off. Women’s bodies go through physical changes and challenges, so they are given paid “sick” leave, as would anyone be given, who has an illness or injury.

For the dad to stay home, it’s a choice. He can take FMLA time off, without pay, if he so chooses. He is not the sick or injured person, or the person recovering from childbirth. I know it doesn’t seem fair, and some companies actually do give paid maternity leave to dads, but it just depends on the company. I don’t believe there’s a federal law mandating it for all companies, though.

2 Likes

Depends on your state laws on paid paternity leave. If there isn’t one - they won’t pay and it may cost him the job.

No harm in asking. If not does he have paid vacation? Wish all parents could be involved in the first few weeks of a newborn. Good luck God Bless

1 Like

This should have been something thought about and planned for. Not wait until 38 weeks pregnant.

My husband and I planned for it. Made sure we had money in the bank to cover what we needed. But he didn’t take more than a week off with me. And we’ve had 3 in under 3 years.

We are in Canada. I made my needs and wants known. That I needed him home for at least the first week, from the beginning.

He might be able to take his vacation time? But most places even here won’t give dad’s no 8 weeks off with pay.

But pushing it will likely cost him his job. Be mindful of that!

1 Like

I think it might depend on the company. I don’t think men have to be allowed leave. Some places don’t even allow women who are giving birth to have paid leave.

They do not have to pay him.

If they do fire him…he will get unemployment until he finds another job…
which could be a very good thing depending on the company.

My daughter’s husband got 2 months paid leave. He works at Walgreens.

2 Likes

If his job is ‘at will,’ he can be fired for any or no reason. I’m for equal rights…just be careful.

4 Likes

I would be very aggravated over $4000, but I don’t know if any man that’s been paid paternity leave unless they’ve used PTO.

5 Likes

Only 8 weeks??? I got 3 months paid leave at the nursing home where I worked :woman_shrugging:t3:. I would push for it because paternity leave was approved I thought years ago.

So not every job even offers paid maternity leave. When you work for one that doesn’t, you have to file for temporary disability and get paid that way and it is not your full pay and it’s based on your average hours over the last 12 weeks, I believe. As far as paternity leave, many companies do not offer it and they cannot file for any type of state benefit like the mother can. There is FMLA which may give him the time off, without pay, but does give job security. You can look into the programs and legalities of it depending on your state. I am in NJ

2 Likes

They can legally do this. FMLA only covers time off, not paid time off. The reason women are given paid time off is because they are physically recovering from pushing a human out of their body. The company is treating it like any other medical condition that requires short term recovery.

7 Likes

You have paid leave. That’s a lot already. Most of us don’t have that

5 Likes

I wish it was a thing. I ended up going to an appt at 38 weeks he was sure everything was fine but when I told him I hadn’t felt my baby moving as much lately he sent me to labor and delivery but still felt like I was fine. I ended up being induced. After 10 hours they realized my son was still breech and I had to have a c section. After 2 weeks my incision tore open I ended up back in the hospital and found out I had a 12 cm abscess. I had to restart the healing process. I couldn’t have managed without my husband and healed without ending up back in the hospital again.

1 Like

First: Hes not the one having the baby. Second: Unless it’s in writing in their procedures they aren’t required to pay him anything. Bad planning on your part isn’t an emergency on their part.

10 Likes

Paternity leave unfortunately isn’t really a thing in the US… my boyfriend took two weeks off with FMLA when our son was born. He had worked a little bit of overtime to save up but ultimately had to pull enough money to cover bills from his retirement fund. It sucked having to use that money but it was the right choice for us in the end because I ended up having complications from my c-section and really needed his help for those two weeks.

Oh hell yes I’d be a “Karen” are you kidding

4 Likes

My husband got 6 weeks paid.

1 Like

If you can’t afford for him to not be paid, he can go to work. It’s a portion of the day, not literally being out of town for 2months.

If he gets himself fired, you’ll be an even worse situation while trying to figure out finances and maybe even have a lapse of insurance if it’s company insurance.

If you feel like you are incapable of managing your baby by yourself while he works his shifts, you may have a bigger problem than 4000.

8 Likes

Your location would be helpful. Considering the case you mentioned I think you’re outside the country. The US doesn’t have mandatory paid leave for mom or dad.

I would push for what is owed.

2 Likes

This is state by state. You will need to refer to your department of labor website for more information if it is offered. HOWEVER I can inform you that NYS has to offer 12 weeks maternity/paternity leave through PFL. It is a state law for us.

2 Likes

Definitely push for paid leave! He’s worked there 8 years he deserves that time with bub without stressing about money :heartpulse:

3 Likes

Yes! My husband gets 6 weeks paternity leave with his job. That just started. They should absolutely be allowed baby bonding.

4 Likes

Personally, for me, him being home for a day or two, maybe three would be nice but I wouldn’t want it any longer than that. I want my time to get on track, get a schedule/routine. If having him home that long, getting into that routine then he’s gone…back to work, I would have to get myself and baby back on a completely different routine. But everyone is different and everyone has their own ways.

5 Likes

These comments are embarrassing I get some “women” think they are superhero’s but here in the real world we need help that’s bs definitely push for paid leave

11 Likes

Definitely not a Karen. This is a pretty big deal. Fathers deserve time to bond with their children and help their partner. This change is just as big for them.

11 Likes

Black mail your boss :rofl:

My husband got paid leave both times the first pregnancy he got paid leave for 3 months and the second was for 2

1 Like

“You got paid leave be happy” instead of “the father deserves time off just like the mom and the system for dads and no paternity leave sucks”
Says every dodo bird :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

My husband got 8 weeks paid off the first year after our babies were born. I don’t know if it’s a company policy or what.

Most women don’t even get paid maternity leave in this country so give me one good reason why a man should? You’re the one having the baby.

8 Likes

Drop it but your fiancé can bring it up to his work if HE wants to.

1 Like

Push for it! My husband got 4 months off with both our daughters.

7 Likes

Yes, fight for it.

My maternity leave was actually worse than my boyfriends! It’s disgusting the little time we get in the US in general.

4 Likes

Push for what your entitled to. Screw what others think.

6 Likes

That’s not being a Karen. Being a Karen is the nice way to say C*nt (I prefer the C word as it is more effective). If it’s the law, it’s the law and they need to be following it. [Which country are you in because I’ve not heard of such thing in the US]

4 Likes

Drop it your getting your leave

He should be entitled to paternity pay. Unless he hasn’t worked for the company long enough. That’s the case here in England anyway. How would families survive otherwise? Sometimes women need help from there man with the baby it’s not all up to her they both made it

3 Likes

That case is not controlling. It was settled. That doesn’t make it law. I would t push the issue since it isn’t law.

People
Make
Up things
To call Karen
This is not one of them
And THAT IS
NOT A FRIEND

4 Likes

Push it. When they refuse, file an EEOC complaint. Document everything.

4 Likes

If he’s entitled to it, demand it.

3 Likes

If you’re in the US, that isn’t a law nor a right. It’s considered a privilege. FMLA is available but it’s unpaid.

4 Likes

That case was settled, it’s not law. It only gives you something to look at and HOPE for a similar outcome after a long and grueling and expensive court case. In America far too many mothers aren’t getting paid leave, and what we do get by law is pitiful. If he wants to talk to HR and see what he qualifies for he can accept that or go for more by his own request but there is no law saying he’s entitled to more.

For you drop it, he should push for it. My husband took off for 3 weeks after each of our kids were born. He didn’t get paid (2014-15&16) but we saved through out my pregnancy & luckily his employers (2 different ones understood)

He should get FMLA so he can stay hi e unpaid as much as is needed and not worry about losing job. If he stays home first 4 days goes in to work but then you need him again in 2 days he can stay home if FMLA is written to cover a period of time doctor can write to help care for you and baby. If there’s anyone that can come and be there days he can’t it would be good so he can work and get paid. If he does FMLA he could use paid time first like his vacation pay sick days if he has those then any other days off will be unpaid

Depends where you are. In the US (even though it should be) it’s not legally required men or women get paid maternity/paternity leave. Check the laws specifically where you are with paternity leave and how long he would need to be with a company to get it.

Push for the paid leave! It is required to be offered depending on what state you are in. In NY their is up to 10 weeks paternity leave paid at 65% of your salary. My hubby took the time after we had baby number three when I had a C-section and then we were moving so it was a god send!

If it is not in his signed working contract there is nothing you can do. So you would be spending money in courts that will put you more in the negative!

A man can not get maternity leave!! He gets leave to care for a family member who is temp disabled (PFL) and he gets paid to bond with baby after its born. Only mother gets the maternity leave to recover from the birthing. It starts with your dr. don’t leave it all up to his job. SSDI, PFL, FMLA, And Baby Bonding are all different things/claims.You/he must have worked long enough at your job to qualify for the paid FL, if not he has a right to it but they won’t pay you (the law gives you the time and you can’t lose your job but your job won’t pay). Government pays bonding time 6 weeks from date baby is born up to a year (your job does not pay this).
It’s a maximum amount of time paid for each claim, but for a newborn it’s usually birth to 6-8 weeks maternity paid from your job, then 6 weeks paid bonding. In California obviously only the mother gets maternity leave but both parents get bonding time PER LAW maximum 6 weeks to bond with baby. Also bonding time can be claimed any time within the babies first year. So if he didn’t qualify now he could in a couple month. You guys can also rotate your 6 weeks so at least one of you are with baby. Baby bonding time is not exactly family leave, there is a difference even though the money comes from the same department.

I always got my paid (maternity) disability (about 4 months for pre term labor), then my paid 8 weeks recovery after birth (c section), then my paid 6 weeks bonding after I recovered. My husband took non paid fmla 8 weeks after birth to care for me, then paid 6 weeks bonding time with baby.

He could always mention it to test out the waters and see what happens. It could turn out to be more trouble and stress than yall want to deal with but there is no harm in bringing it up to see what happens. HE needs to handle this since it’s his place of employment though. I personally feel like men should get paid time off when they have a new baby just like mom. They need and deserve time with their new baby too plus it takes some stress off the new mom while she is recovering. Good luck to yall!

It depends on what state you live in. Double check local laws i don’t believe many states offer paid family leave, NYS does