Should my son be forced to call his bio dad "dad"?

He could call him Biodad(:

Let your son decide.

1 Like

Good for you for leaving this guy. Sounds like a narcissist, everything is about him. I would never force a child to call someone else anything. You have not done anything wrong. I would say no to the bio father.

Tell your ex to get fucking bent and if he wants a court date to make himself look like a fool so he can blame you for it later then he should make one. Stop playing nice. Your son is getting older and he is picking up on his biological fatherā€™s bull probably more than he lets on. Donā€™t let him strong arm his way into making your child uncomfortable just because heā€™s an insecure narcissist.

Do not force your son to call him dad. If heā€™s not comfortable doing it then he doesnā€™t have to.

2 Likes

Iā€™d leave the choice with the child and let it be

1 Like

Keep all communication txt messages . keep up with dates and times he comes. Let your son decide Who he calls dad. Good luck.

2 Likes

My oldest is 14 and hasnā€™t called her father ā€œdadā€ since she was 5ā€¦.she actually doesnā€™t call him anything not even his name. He was always only a dad of convenience and then didnā€™t speak to her for 7 years. When he finally called her he asked why she didnā€™t say dad when she spoke to him and when she said idk he told her fine you call me then said his first and middle name. She told him how bout I call you nothing and hung up. Itā€™s been like that for 2 years now and Iā€™m not interfering. If a parent isnā€™t being a parent and someone else fully takes that responsibility it becomes the childā€™s choice.

Your son is old enough to call him whatever he sees fit, shouldnā€™t be forced to call someone something he doesnā€™t want too. Keep communication via text and if he takes u to court so be it, your son will get a guardian to oversee his wishes in court

3 Likes

A child should never be forced to call anyone anything.

2 Likes

If he wants to take you to court let him do it. Just make sure it doesnā€™t drag your son along with it.

The issue is that he thinks just because he is the biological father; that his kid should call him dad.

I donā€™t see any problem šŸ¤· in your son having two dadā€™s if he wants it that way. I think the problem is that he is frustrated that his son doesnā€™t pay him attention and decides to call his stepfather that angers him.

Thereā€™s nothing else you can do, besides ignoring him. He didnā€™t put the work in the early years of life with his son, he canā€™t have demands now about what is right or wrong. If he didnā€™t act right in the first place and spend time with his son regularly.

My daughter started calling my fiance Dad, he has been in her life since she was 3, so for the last 4 years. She also knows the difference between step father and biological father. Her biological father just showed back up and she calls him by his first name. :woman_shrugging: Kids know who takes care of them, and if you didnā€™t push for him to call your husband Dad I see no issue.

Iā€™d call the bio dad by his first name.
Just because someone created a child doesnā€™t make them a dad or a mum.
Just like a dad or a mum doesnā€™t have to be the person who created you.

Definitely let the child decide what they are comfortable with.

4 Likes

If he does take you to court make sure you tell the judge everything that has happened and talk to your husband about the possibility of your son making/write a statement and then talk to your son about it then you could present it to the judge.

1 Like

So I can see from bio dad side it must be hurtful, If my kids were calling another woman mum Iā€™d be hurt to be honest. Donā€™t see why he canā€™t have 2 dads though if thatā€™s the childā€™s wishes

And no youā€™re not in the wrong.

My daughter calls her real dad and step dad DAD. Remember the child must be comfortable in the end. My ex wasnā€™t happy that she called her step dad DAD until she spoke to the real dad when she was 10. She told her dad I know u my really daddy but uncle Derek also my daddy because he looks after me and I stay by him and mommy and he loves me as if Iā€™m his own. That was my daughterā€™s own words to her real dad. I. Iā€™m extremely greatful that he understood were she was co. I g from and since then we havenā€™t had any issues

1 Like

He should call his bio dad "Sperm donor "
Let your son do what he wants to.

No youā€™re not wrong because itā€™s your sons choice. And thatā€™s his bio dads issue that he has to live with. You canā€™t expect your child to call you dad if youā€™re not present. Once kids get old enough they figure out the truth.

Hell no. Donā€™t make your son do anything heā€™s not comfortable with. My son will be 13 tomorrow and if his ā€œdadsā€ side of the family wants to visit with him, I donā€™t make him go if he doesnā€™t want to. We as parents HAVE to listen to our children. What makes them comfortable and what does not. Your son is old enough to express what he does and doesnā€™t want. Just listen to him, mama. :heart:

1 Like

Make sure you document everything that is happening with visits, when/if he shows up and all that. Let him take you to courtā€¦. Iā€™m sure he is just saying that to get you to do what he wants but I would still document everything just in case. If he wants to be a part of his childā€™s life he should do what he has to whether it is easy or not and making it easier for him is not your responsibility. As far as the calling him dad thingā€¦. Your child should do what is comfortable for him, NOT what is comfortable for ā€œdadā€. If he wanted to be called dad then he should have been/be one. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

If your son is comfortable with his stepfather enough to choose to call him dad then let him! Forcing him to call someone dad even if they are biologically his dad when he doesnā€™t want to is not okay. Bio Dad is just gonna have to deal with it. Good luck mama and keep doing what your doing !

3 Likes

Itā€™s your sons choice . To bad for the loser baby dad. I feel you been there

I think previously mentionedā€¦ A child should never be forced to call anyone anythingā€¦ they decide best for themselves.

Nope. My son calls my fiance (his step dad) dad. When he saw his bio dad he would,call him by his name since he had been out of his life for years to where my son didnā€™t know who he even was.

Itā€™s your sons choice what to call him, xx

My kids are 11 and 5 they donā€™t call their bio dadā€™s dad. My 11 year old was 3 the last time he saw his bio dad and my 5 year old never met hers. But when their come up in conversation we call them by their first name.

Court will end well in your favor. Hes a :clown_face:

3 Likes

Its the kids choice. Hes old enough to make it now. As long as you are not bad mouthing or encouraging this then its up to your son. No matter the situation never bad mouth or even agree that the other parent is bad in front of kids. They will see the truth on their own

3 Likes

This is the same with my kids their bio dad has been in and out for their whole child hood and I finally stopped letting that happen for the past two years well now heā€™s begging to be in their lives after going to jail AGAIN and I was just sick of letting it happen it was draining on the kids emotionally so now Iā€™ve left it partly up to the kids if they want to reconnect or not. Of course Iā€™d never say to him that they donā€™t wanna see him and out them in anyway Iā€™d always make it on me saying I donā€™t want him to see them when really itā€™s what they want. Iā€™ll be the bad guy any day if it makes them feel loved more. I hope this helps a little!:heart: remember just because he made them doesnā€™t mean they have to stay in contact with with a parent thatā€™s toxic to them.

And if heā€™s going the court route save save save every message write down when he actually shows up and how long he actually visits for all that it will help you tremendously in court

1 Like

You should not force him to call anyone Dad bio or not

Take Him To Court Document What Was Said In A Notebook Dates And Times Keep A Record Of His Outbursts The Courts Will Fix These Problems These Are Not You Problems And Tbh Your Doing A Great Job I Went Thru Similar Situations And The Courts Will See Who The Problem Is Exā€™s Are Never Easy To Deal With Have It Court Ordered Visits And Keep Record Of Everything It Does Help In Your Favor I Cut Those Ppl Out Of Our Lives And It Only Gets Better Stay Strong It Will Work Out In Your Favor :revolving_hearts::kiss::wink:

If the child wants to call your husband dad than itā€™s his choice and right. He is the man filling the ā€œdadā€ role. Just get all your records together and organized in case he tries court.

1 Like

Let your son decide who he wants to call dad, it ultimately his choice.

I told my ex straight up that he lost the title Dad when he dropped out of their lives. My youngest only knows my husband as her dad and while hurt that another man has ā€œhisā€ title, my ex knew Iā€™d fight him tooth and nail to give my baby her peace. So, he accepts it. Tell your ex to stuff his feelings and deal with the fallout he created.

Why does everyone focus on titles? If he doesnā€™t want to call him dad then he shouldnā€™t have to call him dad. Itā€™s stupid that grown ass adult will throw a tantrum because of a title that they havenā€™t earned. Start documenting everything, EVERYTHING. Keep a folder. Print out text messages, jot down times and plans and dates. Mark a calendar for the times he visits the lengths, etc. Be your sonā€™s voice and tell him the truth ā€œOur son has only known you for a short time. You donā€™t spend one on one time with him and you are expecting something to happen that he isnā€™t comfortable with yet. If you want him to EVER call you dad then you need to take a step back and look at things from his point of view and then move forward from there. Take it one step at a time and one day at time.ā€ Then get yourself a lawyer and make sure you are doing things legally.

Just worry about what your son wants. What makes him feel happy safe and secure and encourage that! Nothing else! Like you are already understanding, children start to figure out their parents are. The only persons feelings your responsible for is your sons. Support him in whoever he feels he needs to call dad and let whatever adult isnā€™t happy about it pout like a child. After all it isnā€™t about them. Itā€™s about your child, his mental and emotional health and it sounds to me that youā€™ve done a great job! Breathe and let the loser take you to court. He doesnā€™t stand a chance

1 Like

Of course not. Thatā€™s utterly ridiculous. ā€œDadā€ isnā€™t a frivolous term that you earn by being a sperm donor. ā€œDadā€ is the Man who is THERE. The one who is supportive, loving, etcā€¦ I feel so badly for your son. ā€œDadā€ is a title that is earned.

Let him take you to court :woman_shrugging:t2:
I doubt heā€™ll follow through but if he does, the situation is gonna look bad on him.
As far as the Dad situation- thereā€™s a difference in a ā€œfatherā€ and a Dad. My nieces and nephew are in a similar situation- my ex brother-in-law chose drugs and that lifestyle over his kids and marriage. His kids donā€™t want anything to do with him, his youngest honestly doesnā€™t even know him. They call him by his name and their momā€™s fiancĆ© is Dad/Daddy, but heā€™s more of a father to those kids in the last 3 years than their ā€œfatherā€ was their whole lives, and my nephew is the oldest - just turned 10, my youngest niece is almost 4 and their Dad/Daddy is the only one she has any memories of.

Heck my own exhusband (yea neither my ex SIL or I are still married in that family) barely seeā€™s his own kids. Hadnā€™t seen his oldest in a year (or tried to) til June and now itā€™s been two months again cause he just doesnā€™t make the effort even though he has her mom and grandmaā€™s numbers, and my 3 year old still knows him as ā€œdaddyā€ when he does call, but will also straight tell you ā€œI donā€™t have a daddy, he ran awayā€
And has started calling my boyfriend of the last 9 months Dad/Daddy half the time, or his name - but he takes up time with her like a dad would so we just roll with it

1 Like

Dad is earned, not given in my opinion

2 Likes

If your kids wonā€™t call you dad you failed somewhere along the line and itā€™s 100% your responsibility to fix your relationship with your kid and EARN back that title.

And you certainly donā€™t get to be anything other than eternally grateful that someone else stepped into the role you failed in.

I would take him to court I would let him take you to court sounds like an ass wipe and if he wants to visit his son he can find a way to make it work with two new cars itā€™s your sons choice the car your new husband dad and that could be brought up in court till I know for a fact itā€™s your sons choice and Iā€™m not sure how to go about calling his actual bad thatļæ¼

DAD is a relationship and has meaning, not just a name you call someone. Your son has the option to choose that relationship, it canā€™t be forced on him and neither can calling someone Dad who he doesnā€™t feel that way about. Sounds like BioDad is having some internal struggles with being absent for so long and is projecting them onto you and your son. He should just be grateful your son is giving him the opportunity to attempt amends. Make it known to your son that it is HIS choice.

2 Likes

ā€œMy version of ā€œDadā€ is the person who is always in your life during your good and bad times, to help you, guide and listen to you and give you all the support and financial support that you needā€. This is what his step Dad is doing and deserves to be called ā€œDadā€. This boys real Dad is only interested in his son as he is getting older. Looks like a trouble maker. Once your son turns 18 he can make his own decisions then. The other question here is, is his real Dad supporting him financially? I donā€™t think he will have much of a say in Court if he isnā€™t. Another thing is when your sons real Dad comes to visit he should come on his own and leave the extended family at home.

3 Likes

Tell him to stick it where the sun doesnā€™t shine. Itā€™s up to your son. He can call whoever he feels is dad, dad if he wants to cal his bio dad dad thatā€™s fine but itā€™s perfectly fine for him to call the man that has been his father figure most of his life dad too.

1 Like

Being blood related doesnā€™t entitled the name ā€œdadā€ being a father to a kid gets you that title. Not your fault he hasnā€™t earned it :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I think he should call his bio dad dad because that is reality. Inasmuch as it is a pain and not to your liking and I agree ge sounds like a jerk. Your son will know the truth on his own. I went through exactly the same thing with my daughter who is now an adult and she tells me she is glad I let her see him even if he only showed up once in awhile sometimes a whole year would pass, it gave her the opptunity to see hi.for who he was without blaming me

3 Likes

Your son should have the choice whome he calls dad,. He is not an infant now and has his own opinion of treatments between natural dad and step dad. And if stepdad is his preference, then, so be it! Bio dad doesnā€™t deserve to be bio dad, end of!

1 Like

My daughter is 9, her bio dad has not been in the picture since she was 4 months old, she knows of him and calls him by his first name when we talk about him. Her stepfather who has been in her life only 2.5years is whom she calls Dad (her choice, she asked upon our marriage and he said yes) at this age I believe they are old enough to decide for themselves what they want to call the custodial and non custodial parentā€¦

1 Like

Your ex sounds like a narcissist who wants it all to be about him and has no interest in his sons interests.

Whichā€¦is to call your husband dad. He isnā€™t 3yo, heā€™s 10 and knows whatā€™s going on. He absolutely does not have to call your ex dad, or anything other than his name honestly if thatā€™s what he wants. Heā€™s a person. He can make decisions and if you went to court, the judge would likely agree. Document EVERYTHING.

1 Like

See an attorney. Not up to you to make him visit. Is child support involved? Your son should call step dad, Dad, if he wants to. His bio Dad, cant set the all the rulesā€¦ see an attorney get full custody

1 Like

His bio-father should have already lost custody for ā€œabandonmentā€ if he really waited 7 years before even attempting a relationship.

1 Like

He might be ur birth father, but he isnā€™t a dad. A dad helps raise their child(ren) and loves them, and nurtures them.

your son is old enough to know for him self. no one should be given a name they canā€™t stand behind. Being a DAD is a very important job. Maybe that needs to be explained to his bio-father.

Child is old enough to make decision. His choice never force them. If heā€™s only a part time dad let the child call him what he wants. Looks like your son has made his decision. It takes more than being a bio dad. A dad is there all the time. Makes time for child makes child feel safe which is actually what your husband is doing

You have zero to worry about. It is on him to see his son, it is on him to be a good father. He can whine and cry and make you look bad all he wants but for the the last seven years he has done less than the bare minimum and no court will say otherwise. The ā€œdadā€ name is up to your son, who he wants to call dad is who he should call dad and if bio-dad doesnā€™t like it, too bad. He shouldā€™ve made an effort all those years.

Please sit down with your son and gently ask him what he would prefer. I donā€™tsee why both men canā€™t be dad. You need to also practice with your son different senerios about how to explain things to his dad. Another thought, perhaps the two dads could meet and discuss. Or perhaps both dads and son could meet. But first and foremost, sit with you son and discuss and practice the options. Have practice conversations with him. This is your sonā€™s life (and although you may not care for it, his bio father has certain rights).

He should call his bio father POPS and his stepfather DAD. The reason being his bio father POPS in and out of his life, and the stepfather earns the title DAD every day.

Regarding them visiting your house or complaining that youā€™re walking to a parkā€”you chose to move and it would not be fair for them to drive a few hours away, drive back to their house then drop your son off the same day. Be thankful he doesnā€™t want to pick him up and keep him for weekends because of the distance involved. Just because ā€œhe has two new carsā€. is no excuse. Donā€™t be a hater because he can afford two lease payments.

Go to court and mediate this the right way. Never discuss this mess in front of your son or bash his bio father in front of him. Not a good look.

Good luck. Divorce/Baby Daddy Drama is very difficult on the child. Be easy for the sake of your son. Best of lluck to you.

Dad is title for a man who is there for the child. There when heā€™s sick and there when heā€™s happy. He is involved in his life. Not for a man who biological has him. And does nothing for him. Sounds like itā€™s all on his terms. Doesnā€™t even sound like he wants to spend much time with him. He could make the effort on his side more. Good luck. Let him call the stepfather Dad. If that is what he wants.

No do not force son to call bio father dad. That should be his choice and no one elses.

1 Like

Let your child decide what he wants to call him. My son called both dad and everyone was fine with that arrangement and our son is the one that won in that

If your child wants to call your husband Dad let him ā€¦the child seems to know the difference between a Dad and a father.
Youā€™ve made things too easy for him (probably for the sake of your sonā€¦bravoā€¦that makes you a good mommaā€¦) Let the man take you to court, that way he will be forced to keep to a set schedule for visitationā€¦keep in mind that visitation is not for Dadā€¦it is for your sonā€¦your son is the one who needs to have accomodations made for himā€¦not for either of his parentsā€¦ Psā€¦ You didnā€™t mention any child support or palamonyā€¦make sure if you havenā€™t dealt with that, that you doā€¦ If you want, see a lawyer, and get some advice on how to proceedā€¦ Thatā€™s what I did when I was threatened with courtā€¦and my lawyer beat him to it and took him to court

Note: No hurt is intended. I know how you feel. I have been through all of this. Good luck! I am praying for your family.

I think you need to see a lawyer and your son call call your husband dad or his father dad or both thatā€™s should be up to your son

Seek the right help there is a lot out there counseling or a Mentor etc boys are hard so seek it quickly .

Continuedā€¦alter being divorces for many years, I can share with you that the more you can work things out the better it will be. Please try! Discuss with son first, then spouse, then ex. For everyoneā€™s sake try to work things out. Put anger aside. Your son will grow up and you need to set the example for him, and teach him how to work things out.

Call him father because any man can father a child but not all can be a dad.

1 Like

After 2 kids (teenagers) came with my Mrs when we met 1st thing I pretty much said is u have your dad no need whatsoever 2 call me dad,you have yours,and well if they thought of me a little bit like 1,that was good enough for meā€¦it doesnā€™t have 2 be said out loud,I donā€™t need the title of been called dadā€¦11 years on we have a great relationship but whatever way I look at that,Iā€™m only a step dadā€¦im sure they respect me and Iā€™ll take that,Iā€™m not hanging my life on a title when Iā€™m not their biological dadā€¦

I think at ten years old your son should have the right to make this decision himself. Have an honest conversation with him and let him decide. Try not to let your opinion sway him

100000% the childā€™s choice
If he thought of him as a dad he would address him as one

As proved by the fact that heā€™s bonded with your husband and wants to call him dad instead

Custodial parent holds the aces. I had a lot of visitation issues and court rarely went my way.

Also, he that does the job gets the title.

Donating sperm does not make you a ā€œDadā€.

Up to the son as long as there is no pressure either way

Let the boy choose for himself and if things get too bad tell him itā€™s ok to call him bio dad

Let the child decide what he wants to call him and back him in his decision

You can tell Biodad to f*** right off with that nonsense.

2 Likes

No, I call mine a sperm donor. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

In our family, respect comes 1st. dad is called dad and mum are called mum whtr itā€™s d bio dad or mum or stepā€¦ Manners comes 1st.

Parents have their differences but kids should not get involved and loose respect. You can call parents by their name.

Itā€™s not wrong. This guy sounds unreasonable.

How does your son feel about him? At ten HE should make the call for HIS comfort level any man can father a child but a real man raises him ā€¦your ex is a
Spoiled man child

1 Like

The son should have his choice !!! The bio dad sounds like a real d@&k

1 Like

Your sons call on this one. But stand beside him and let him know that he will be ok. No pressure. Your ex needs to grow up and realize that his son has his own feelings and donā€™t have to call him dad if he donā€™t want to.

1 Like

I call my stepdad Dad all the time and my father never once batted an eye. He understood my stepdad was the one in the home making me lunch and taking me back and forth to school. Your ex needs to grow up.

Do not force your son to call this man Dad. It will not help anything but the assholes ego. Dad is a title you earn.

Get rid of loser heā€™s the bloody problem he sounds like ASOL

Molly Duffy this Darren?

1 Like

No obligation to call bio dad.

Thatā€™s right Brittany McNew

1 Like