Should parents have to buy carseats for their grandparents cars?

Tbh id still just use my seat, yeah its time consuming, but a little effort to avoid buying another car seat seems worth it to me, I have a spare carseat if my mum wants to use it though, but I’ve become a pro at remivibg and installing my good one anyway.

I would but that’s because I’d want final say in what carseats they got, where they came from, and how they are installed.

That being said, I am more minimalist so we bought a convertible that will grow with our child.

1 Like

I bought 2 seats for my grandbabies.

You either buy it or switch them.
We have a spare for each kid, yes it’s expensive but it’s not their job to provide a car seat.

6 Likes

I just gave them mine if they needed it. If you don’t want to do that then yes I believe you should buy them one.

Your parents don’t owe you or your kids anything. If your lucky and they take them you should provide everything they need unless they offer. I mean you had the kids not them.

7 Likes

Yeah, honestly if she buys it herself, cool… but in my case there wouldn’t be one if I didn’t buy it.
This is a decently priced carseat that I bought 2 of for my mom’s and friend’s car instead of buying duplicates of the $300 Graco on I have. I honestly love it so if you’re looking for a decently priced option, def check this one out.

We bought the car seats for the grandparents because they were helping us out picking the kids up from school, etc. We bought car seats for our babysitter’s car, too, when she babysit our kids full time over the summer.

Unless they offer, thats your responsibility. I would never expect my kids grandparents to buy them seats. I just put the current one I’m using in their cars.

3 Likes

Do you have and how she pay per half you pay for half if you think she should have car seats in a car

1 Like

This is dumb as hell. Of course it’s the parents responsibility. If a grandparent doesn’t buy one and you want them to be safe and able to travel with grandparents you either move your car seat or purchase one. Since when did it become your moms fiscal responsibility to care for your offspring? :roll_eyes: it’s one thing if they offer to help, but to expect it is stupid and low.

13 Likes

If she wants to buy then cool but otherwise the responsibility falls on the parents of the child :woman_facepalming:t4:

3 Likes

Definitely YOU!! This shouldn’t even be a question :roll_eyes: Anything YOUR KIDS need you should provide its not someone else’s responsibility

7 Likes

I think so its.your kid that’s your responsibility for their safety

1 Like

I don’t buy carseats for anyone else’s cars, if they don’t have one, I move my carseat to their car. But also, my babies very very rarely ever go with anyone else unless I’m there as well. My 15 month old has never been driven by her grandparents yet.

I bought the car seat for my in-laws. I purchased the lower end of the car seat we have. It is rear facing and front facing and is good up to 65 pounds so he will be in it for a while. I had it shipped to my house, brought it to them and installed it myself so I know my son is safe. My mom already had a car seat for her car because of my niece.

Why should it be their responsibility to buy your kids anything? When my daughter goes to my moms I make sure she has everything she needs, seat, clothes, food,mutually anything she needs i make sure she has. 🤦🤦

5 Likes

No grandparent’s can provide themselves if not use your carseats to barrow

Seriously? You buy it if she hasn’t already. Your kids your responsibility. Be happy your mom is In the same state as you to help you with your kids! I could only wish. Be greatful for what you have!

5 Likes

It’s your kid, so you buy it. :woman_facepalming:t3:

3 Likes

Yes. End of discussion. :woman_shrugging:

I buy for my mom because it’s my kids and it’s our responsibility to provide what necessary things they need. We just get lucky they want to babysit :grin: or take them places. I have 4 kids so it’s more convenient of course expensive but it’s our responsibility.

If you’re not going to switch car seats from car to car then yes you are the one who needs to buy the car seats not her. That’s just lazy

I brought car seats for my mums and my dads car it just made it easier cause i was often forgetting to leave them so then kids couldnt go out in the car

My husband and I did for my my mom. Our choice!

I have my grandsons a lot. They are 1 and 2 and 1 bought my own seats… But if I hadn’t I would have just used hers I wouldn’t have expected her to buy carseats for me. So if you don’t want to buy them you should just take the time to transfer carseats back and forth.

1 Like

I think it depends on the family dynamics. Are they babysitting them on a weekly/ daily basis? Or only occasional. 2 kids both in carseats, when I was pregnant with my 1st my parents bought one as my b day gift. When my oldest went on a day trip with my inlaws they bought one for their car ( because they wanted one just in case) , when baby# 2 came we bought one for daily use.

If they offer, fine. But I don’t think anyone should ever expect another person, no matter who they are, to buy things for their kids.

1 Like

YOU It’s your kid,you buy it. :woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

That’s your responsibility.

1 Like

You should buy them if you dont want to move seats. How the hell you going to expect other people, grandparents or not, to buy your children their carseats? Entitlement lvl 100.

1 Like

It’s your kid and your wish not to keep moving the car seats back and forth so really it’s your responsibility but if you have a close enough relationship with your mom you could always mention it and see what she wants to do. Would she be able to split the cost of one with you? Can she afford to just buy one for you and would she want to? If not ultimately it’s on you

1 Like

You made the choice to have them babies not your mother!!! Keep transferring them or if it’s in convenient for YOU, you should buy them!!!

Your child. Your responsibility. And as a mother. I will pick the carseat and make sure it’s the right one for my child. Hight, size and weight

2 Likes

I switch ours every time. 3 buckles isnt that hard.

1 Like

They’re your kids. You should supply them with what they need.

3 Likes

I brought a 2nd hand seat so 8 knew it was OK. But also.wasnt planning to use it but circumstances changed and now use it. I also had to buy a 3rd seat for a friend of mine to.collect baby too
But that is my choice as she had an aged seat i wasnt happy with her using. Enjoy the kids seeing and loving the grandparents money isn’t everything

You provide the car seats, you are the parent. You sound spoiled!

3 Likes

My kids bought the car seats for the grand babies to go in my car !!!

I just switch cars when needed. If that’s not an option, I will put my carseat in my parent’s car. If it was an everyday need, I would purchase another carseat!

1 Like

I would buy carseats for grandparents cars. Not my parents responsibility.

4 Likes

My mom and MIL had no problem buying a car seat themselves, they actually couldn’t wait to buy them so they could have him and travel. It depends on how they feel I guess. :woman_shrugging:t3:

I would switch mine in and out when my girls were young. I was so grateful my mom was able and willing to watch them so I didn’t have to pay a babysitter or daycare so I could work and got to school that I would never have had the audacity to expect her to buy something she didn’t really need on a regular basis just to help me out already.

6 Likes

My parents bought the ones for my kids but I’m spoiled and nor did I expect them too. They didn’t want the inconvenience

I buy car seats for me, my husband, my mom, and my dad.

With my first we just switched the seat if she went with anyone else, which was rare.
With babies 2 and 3 (who are 15 months apart) we have 2 sets of seats for them. One set stays in my car and the second is usually in my husband’s car but can be used if needed. My mil bought a seat for her vehicle without me asking her to, she wanted one in case she needed it but that was before our youngest was born.

If you want your child to be safe and mom to take him, yes

I switch 3 children every time way easier and cheaper than buying three car seats! My children my responsibility🤷🏼‍♀️

1 Like

I think you should. Plus you have a piece of mind in the car seat they are in

Either switch them or provide them with what your child needs. I would never expect someone else to purchase something that my child needs.

1 Like

We have 3 grandkids and we bought them car seats for our truck. We love them and want to keep them safe.

Not their responsibility…it’s yours, unless they choose to buy them, but you shouldn’t ask or demand that they do.

I think it depends on the situation. Example. If I ( I being the key word) want my mom to babysit or go places or whatever then it should fall on me.
However if grandma wants to get her grandchild all the time and wants to do stuff I would suggest her getting one for her vehicle.

1 Like

We have an extra just for this scenario

I bought my mom one! My mom and myself are like best friends now that I’m older and I bought her one bc 1 they are my kids, 2 so she didn’t have to use bill money to do it and 3 it was the right thing to do

You should, it’s your child. I bought seats for my kids grandparents cars because my kids are my responsibility.

Your kid. You buy EVERYTHING

1 Like

Is this a real question? You’re the parent here.

We bought our own for our grandkids🤷‍♀️

I have our seats in my car and times we needed them in my parents car, my parents just surprised me with new car seats for their car bc they are very interactive with my kids and if we’re going to the same place which is often we don’t take separate cars. I didn’t ask or anything, I never had an issue with switching the car seats but I guess my parents wanted to cut that out all together. If you’d like to make things easier then it’s your responsibility, they’re your kids. That’s like your parents buying your kids toys for holidays and such and keeping It all at their home bc they come over… if that happened I’m sure you’d feel some type of way. If you want to take that out all together then I would suggest you buy them. :woman_shrugging:t2:

We bought our grandsons carseat for our own car.

Some of y’all are rude as hell :scream:

I bought carseat for my grandkids for my car

I would say if they don’t offer to buy them you should

1 Like

I bought them for my granddaughter. I really hated watching her mom. My daughter fight to get it in and out of the cars

Um, why not just let them take yours? Besides you’re not riding in them, they are. Shouldn’t it be the childs seat?

Why should they buy a car seat for when they are watching your children?? I supplied grandparents with any items they’d need while caring for my children.

6 Likes

Yes you should if not you can always take the carseat out of your car to put in their car…i bought car seats for my grandparents because they watch my daughter and if my daughter goes with my mom i lend her my carseat

1 Like

No, carseats aren’t cheap and they’re just grandparents. If they want to have their grandkids, they need to be fully equipped.
If you aren’t going to use it though, let them borrow it while they have the grandkids.

If you dont want to do the work required for single car seats, yes it is your responsibility to buy the extra… if they want car seats to have on hand and they are requesting it they should buy them… :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I had an extra seat for my youngest and gave it to the babysitter if the grandparents needed one I took the one out of the truck since it didnt get used as much. Now that she is in a booster i bought her a new one for my car and every grandparent has one from my older kids that I provided

My parents bought some stuff for their house for my daughter, but it’s ultimately the parent’s responsibility to buy those things. If you don’t want to buy it, take the extra 5-10 minutes to put the car seats into their car.

My mom and my step dad bought their own car seats for their cars. It was their idea, I helped them pick them out though. It all depends on how you or the grand parents feel about it.

I absolutely bought car seats for the extra cars (including my parents, as they watch my kids often). I shouldn’t burden them financially when their helping me physically, plus it’s safer to not have to uninstall and reinstall mine constantly and risk something being wrong.

My daughter has 3 carseats. One in my mums car and 2 in mine, the extra being a spare that can be used if I have another child in my car, or it can be used for any other car needed. All 3 purchased by myself

I got my own car seats. for my car for my grandkids.

Seriously? You kidding right? Buy the car seats for your moms car if it’s such a pain for you to transfer the car seats in your vehicle.

1 Like

This is a necessity for your children, that means it’s your responsibility to handle…If it’s too much to switch the seats, then you still have to be the parent and handle it by purchasing a seat for you mom to use. Do you pay your mom for babysitting? I cant imagine hiring a nanny and requiring them to buy a car seat for my children.

2 Likes

The grandparents should not HAVE TO buy a carseat. If they offer then u may accept. If it’s an inconvenience to you to keep moving carseats then go ahead and buy some for your moms car. The way I see it, if shes taking your kids she’s already doing you a favor and helping out.

4 Likes

They’re your kids. You’re responsible for them and their safety.

1 Like

Yes you need to buy the car seats .

I did. My child I will provide what i want them to ride in.

Why can’t you just move car seats? It really isn’t that hard.

1 Like

Depends. Are they babysitting for you or are they just visiting?

My mum and her husband bourght a car seat for my daughter, but my dad never did he just used. Mine as I dktn drive but still have a car seat for my girl xx

I guess it kinda depends on if your mom is wanting to take the kids or if your asking her to. Maybe you guys can each buy 1, go half and half?

Yes! You’re the parent?! :woman_facepalming: unless they buy one. You can lend them yours, or buy another one for their car.

1 Like

I bought my own car seat for my granddaughter

Yep if you don’t want to swap then you should absolutely pay for one in her car

I think it depends on the situation…

Is this a once in a while drive in their car??? Yes… than you move the car seat you already own to their car.

Is this a they babysit your kid everyday so you can work? Yes, buy the seat for them especially if you don’t pay them to babysit or don’t pay them the going rate of child care in your area.

Is this a they see the kids often and like to take them places because they want to not because they are babysitting for you??? No, they or you can move the car seat you already own or they can buy one.

If your parents are taking them for you then yes you’re responsible for all their needs.

Your kids, your responsibility!

4 Likes

Yes parents should buy unless the grandparents mention they will buy them. Just talk to them and mention you are going to be buying them carseats for their car and see what their reaction is. Who knows, they may want to pitch in too.

1 Like

You. Obviously. They’re your kids if she’s taking them FOR YOU you buy the seats.

4 Likes

I bought are seats for my children for my moms car because she takes care of them doing the day. We use to switch it back and forth and I got tired of doing that.

Um…you should…if she watches your kids that much that she drives them around you’re the parent you should buy the damn thing seriously? Wow.

From my perspective I would always expect to provide the tools for the job to whoever is kind enough to help with my children.

4 Likes

If it’s the grandparent asking for the child then yes they should get their own, if they are watching your child because you need them to then you pay for the car seat.

1 Like

If you want them to keep them why can’t they just use yours? Why buy new ones & they not get used regularly?

I’ve bought all the carseats my son has needed for when he is with grandma just because that’s the least I could go because she is doing me a huge favor by watching my son for me so I can work. I couldnt expect her to pay for the things my son needs while he is with her.