Should we get our 1-year-old a tablet?

my 2 year old does abc mouse. he will bring me my tablet and ask to do abc mouse. he may enjoy the learning apps

Don’t do it… it’s a trap!

2 Likes

I think wait untill he is two it is important for your child to play , run , talk yell if that’s what he wants to , because after they’ll just be zombies and the tantrums will just get worse once u take the tablet off etc .

My toddler is 2 n doesn’t have one n won’t for quite some time

1 Like

No, just because it will be a waste, hell break it somehow. I have the same problem, my now 2 year old is finally showing an interest in learning. But how I got him interested was tv. All the learning shows I could find, and on YouTube, and I was just super enthusiastic about it, like omg baby look numbers! And try and do the activity’s they show with him. If I’m excited to learn it, he is too basically

No. No. And No. Absolutely No. Nuts.

2 Likes

Sound like he is pretty smart and learning a lot. Remember you are against them for a reason.

2 Likes

No with how obsessed everyone is with electronics let them explore and learn on their own. Their mind doesn’t need that just yet

3 Likes

We have 5 kids… all were not introduced to electronics until atleast 5 to 7 years old. And still I regret not waiting longer. If anything…try the electronic type toys. Leap frog etc…

2 Likes

The preschool prep dvds taught my son numbers, shapes, letters, and colors before he was 2. His teachers were impressed. I recommend those if it’s just learning you want. Now he’s older and we are using their sight words and mathematics dvd and he loves them.

1 Like

My daughter had a leap pad. Tonnes of fun, educational games without the danger of them getting online accidentally. At 5 she has a tablet now with the ABC reading eggs app that is included in her school fees.

1 Like

I’ve had issues with my little ones being on tablets. They become addicted to electronics. I’ve noticed a behavior change when they’re on them too much. They interact and play so much better without them. The only good I’ve seen is all the learning apps but all the good ones requires a subscription. Having tablets for road trips and long car rides has been great. Just make sure to set a time limit on them.

1 Like

We got one at around that age because our son is medically complex and spends a lot of time in the hospital/traveling the 3+ hours to the hospital, and it was nice after surgeries when he had to stay in bed and couldn’t move a lot. We downloaded Netflix and he’d watch Little Baby Bum or similar shows. He is 3.5 now and uses his tablet for Starfall and NickJr games usually, he isn’t in the hospital as often so at home he watches the tv usually. We’ve never limited screen time, but he also plays a lot. I think it’s up to you and what works for your family. For us it worked well, but we had some extenuating circumstances. We do not allow YouTube or allow him to just be glued to electronics all day.

I just got my 1.5 year old and 3 year old each a tablet. My older boys 7 and 8 have electronics but limited.

My daughter is 1 and every other night we play word games on the tablet after dinner. I beleive being afraid to introduce technology is silly considering how much it’s used now. :woman_shrugging: She doesnt have her own just uses mine. It’s also great on long car trips to attach to the headrest and play cartoons.

3 Likes

He’s one dude. He’s not going to count to 100 and sing the alphabet backwards right now.

Read the book “Einstein didn’t use flashcards” it’ll explain to you why you shouldn’t push your kids so hard.

4 Likes

Not the most popular decision. No! We avoided all contact with all electronics until 3. They are teenagers now!

2 Likes

My oldest just got one for his birthday he is 4 . He still prefers counting games with his toys or white boards .
We limit his time pretty strictly

There are tones of vtech toys that teaches colors animals shapes what ever. I’d say no to the tablet. My sons 19 months and doent even count yet. Hes knows a few signs. A few phrases like I did it or all done. And some words And he knows some animal.sounds cow,cat,dog,snake

I never used tablets to teach my tots their Abc’s and 123’s - I also taught them how to read by sight with books using my finger to read each word , we count while going up stairs , and use objects to practice colors and shapes

2 Likes

Never had tablet, my step daughter was saying ABCs perfect at 3, my son a bit older…

Why jump to a tablet when you could get him a leap pad or one of the other devices like the books that read to you and stuff such as that?

1 Like

You don’t need to entertain him. Get him entertaining toys so he learns to entertain himself.

3 Likes

No no no!! He’s way too young and there are so many studies that have shown that excessive screen time can “rewire” your brain. It’s worse when you start them so young too. Be patient. He’s one. Just sing songs with him and help him with puzzles, etc.

5 Likes

YouTube taught my son his colors and numbers at an early age! I think it also helped with his speech.

3 Likes

The VTech Innotab was a great starting tablet. It uses game/learning cartridges. And you are able to download things from the VTech site. We did that for my son when he was about a year old. At that time he was already learning how to play little matching games and things on my tablet. As long as you do it with them, and don’t use the tablet as a babysitter, it can be a nice learning tool. We still read books and learned without the electronics. But he’s 9 now and has been reading since about the time he turned 3, and has been tested for gifted. He has a tablet, and a laptop, but all have restrictions and time limits.

:wave::wave::wave:
Get him the Toy version of a tablet. :slightly_smiling_face: VTech, PBS kids
Also Fisher toys make toy Game controllers.
If you have a smart tv, switch it to YouTube kids for his age group.
Wait 2 more years before allowing him to have a Real Tablet.

1 Like

He’s 1.5 attention span is so minimal

1 Like

We like the vtech and fisher price link toys

2 Likes

No. My daughter had a nabi tablet when she was around 3 and she LOVED it, but then when she was 4 she got mad one day and threw it down because she was mad that it froze and it broke the screen. We made her go without for a year before we got her a new one (kids amazon fire). We made sure she knew how to take care of that and then when she was 6 or 7 we upgraded her for Christmas to an older version refurbished ipad. Now she’s almost 9 and we are about to upgrade her to a new ipad since the old one recently stopped working and her birthday is next week.

1 Like

My daughter watches educational preschool shows on YouTube

1 Like

Like it or not, kids are going to grow up with technology. This isnt the 90s anymore.

A tablet is great as long as you set limits to it. My daughter is 2 and she isn’t hooked to hers. She watches Bubble Guppies and Blues Clues. Her speech has improved alot. She still plays outside and with toys. We set limits to it. I think it depends on the kid.

I honestly dont see the difference in tablets and TVs or even the light up toys. They all teach the same exact things.

3 Likes

There are tons of good learning games out there. In my opinion, he’s not too young. Maybe just not for too long or just with you working on it with him. My son’s school has them using these programs called Reading Eggs and Dream box that are amazing. And I’ve heard good things about ABC Mouse.

Hes 1 what exactly do you expect him to learn 🤦🤦

4 Likes

I was the same way but a friend changed my mind. I feel my daughter learned from her tablet. We got the amazon kids fire 8. There are so many learning games and shows. My daughter watches PBS kids shows on there. Plays learning games. Listens to kids music like Daniel tiger and my little pony songs. It has age appropriate settings and plenty of parental control. You can always limit how much time your child is allowed to use it. I used to only let mine “earn” tablet time. It can be a good tool.

Lots of judgey mcjudgersons on here

1 Like

Absolutely! I highly recommend this Fire 10 kids by amazon. My daughter had the 7 and we were able to read books play educational games and watch learning videos

1 Like

I got my boy a learning interactive book off fb, with numbers and colours and music and songs, where he can turn the pages, keeps him entertained for a bit, hes just over a year old, but he loves me sitting with him and being hands on, with cards and books, so I tend to just do what I need to while he naps or after he goes to bed.

He’s ONE!!! His learning and behaviour sounds very much on-par with where the expectations should be. Whether or not you get a tablet isn’t my issue here, it’s the learning expectation. Get him one of you want, but maybe calm down a bit on development expectations.

6 Likes

It’s the age of technology. He will grow up learning it anyway.

This child is one and half years old time to start teaching running , jumping, inside and outside voice all have a time and place

1 Like

Go for it its 2019 technology is the way of life now. I don’t see anything wrong with it.

My 1 and 2.5 has tablets. The reason is my 2.5 has autism helps him talk to use since hes non verbal and his sister because she fuss he has one. But they get limited screen time.

Why give an expensive device to a toddler who will break it?

I got my wee one the amazon fire tablet and she is two and there is loads of learning games u can download onto that and she loves sitting trying to do them , one game she really likes is sorting the different coloured shapes she could spend a whole hour just playing that one

1 Like

You give him a tablet at 1.5 years, you will create a monster. Who never wants to go play outside, play with friends… He will always want to be on a tablet or a video game… Just watch, wait and see. I hate when people throw a device at their kid to occupy them or keep them busy :roll_eyes: let him play with blocks and cars and play doh.

I wish I could remember the online article but one just came out saying kids shouldn’t get on electronics before age 5. It slows down their ability to learn as they get older or something. Maybe Google it and find it but I wouldn’t be getting my baby a tablet.

3 Likes

Their are plenty of kids learning tablets. My kids had the leapfrog2 and and another one I can’t remember the name of at this time

Do whatever works for u. I think the biggest issue with tablets is that a lot of parents have the tablets actually parent their children so they don’t have to and then u get a very unsociable child, where as if u give a kid a tablet for 30 min with a learning game then what’s the problem? It’s ok to distract your lo to get a few things done but it’s not ok to get rid of your kid with a tablet if u catch my drift. I think that’s what the debate should be about not whether or not to get one. They’re going to be exposed to all electronics sooner than later it’s the generation we live it, so involve them in it but show them that that’s not all that learning/playing is about. Good luck!

1 Like

I don’t think there is an age to where a child should not have a tablet. Today’s way of life is nothing more than technical knowledge. My son had his own Kindle at 16 months and he has a very high IQ. Everything that was on his Kindle was intentionally loaded for educational purposes only. I even downloaded bilingual apps. So no, to keep something like that from them would be cheating them of Education. But I strongly recommend using parental controls

No. Read him books. Play with toys. Go outside and let him run and play.

1 Like

Kindle fire with Amazon free time on it. I can choose what is on it and it is FULL of educational games and books.

Put them out in the yard with toys and let them learn to play and entertain themselves. At that age ! parents make the rules ! NOT children .

1 Like

He sounds like he’s learning as any other high energy toddler learns. It’s finding what works for both of you. Sometimes we need peace and quiet. He’s smart if he’s counting back at you. Controlled time with educational things is good but 1.5 yrs they learn by exploring more and interacting with others in parallel play.

Leapfrog has a few tablet options for that age

holy kids are growing up so much faster than ever and full of knowledge too

My high strung boy learned colors by capping and uncapping markers, matching and saying the colors with him. He’s one. Don’t stress about structured learning time. He’ll pick up on all kinds of things you don’t even realize. I’d say no to electronics for a bit, unless you’re going to sit with him so he knows it’s a learning device and not something to replace physical activity and outdoor, or active role play fun.

My 2 year old grandson has his own iPad. And he’s learned so much from it. His A BC’s. His colors. Counting. Even his words was coming out clearer. Now you have to watch what programs they watch. I recommend utube kids. Or ABC mouse.

Nooo let’s kids be kids we never had anything like that growing up why should they. I genuinely hate them and think its lazy parenting. An electronic baby sitter kids should play with toys

Look in the Walmart Christmas book they have one on sale designed for kids heavy duty case an screen

If you are against it, stick to it.

There is no fighting the digital age, I was in your shoes then slowly added tablet learning time (ABC Mouse and leapfrog) now he is almost 5 and he has Disney+ for car rides. :slight_smile: it shouldnt be looked at as a problem as long as it isnt just YouTube kids playing games or crap like that. Good luck with your decision momma, you will male the right one for your own regardless. :heart:

Technology is going to be a huge component in their lives. If you hold them back, you may be hindering them in the long run. We set limits and my 3 and 4 year olds know they can’t just zone out for hours. They get 15 minutes on an iPad each day, no more.

1 Like

There are Kindles on Amazon for like 50$ and you can set the parental controls where you control what they have access to but the apps you can gets are actually pretty good at helping kids learn numbers and colors and such

No. He is 1 1/2 he doesn’t need to be learning ABC’s or counting. He needs to be playing. Plenty of time to learn that stuff in the preschool/kindergarten ages.

8 Likes

I don’t see a problem with it :woman_shrugging:t3: we bought an iPad for our one year old and only use it in the car on long car rides and in the house when she gets bored which is very rare. Like the others said… technology is going to be a huge part of their life whether we like it or not. And if it’s educational programs/ songs that we are showing her I don’t see the big deal! (This is coming from a teacher). Just limit the amount of usage :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

He’s only 18months old. He’s constantly learning.
I wouldn’t focus too much on academic learning at this stage and just let him explore through his senses, creative play is the key to children’s focus and academic learning later in life. I’m sure you’re doing a great job of helping him learn, sometimes letting the children entertain themselves is the best learning they can experience.

2 Likes

I felt the same way and ended up getting him wooden puzzles and he loves them and has learned colors, his letters, shapes and hand eye coordination. We bought a tablet for him and he touched everything and got frustrated and threw it and we returned it a few days later. Totally a personal preference.

3 Likes

The pbs tables are good for lil ones

My parents bought both my kids a kurio tablet for Christmas and they both really enjoy them

My child, who’s about to turn 2, has learned so much through educational songs as background noise on our TV. I just try and talk and interact with her as much as possible, and she picks up on a lot.

This Is My 1 Year Old With My IPad. I Never Let Him Alone With It. He’s Watching “Little Baby Bum” On YouTube.

No. Scientific studies show that kind of stimulation at that age is harmful.

2 Likes

Personal preference. I’m a SAHM so I’m able to set and write, color, play and teach my daughter without one. But they do have their benefits and you can set controls. Allowing them to use it at the same time everyday might would help aid in routine which is beneficial for development as well- and they’re learning. Win win!

Yes. Tablets are great. It gets them engaged in learning while having fun so they dont know. With my dad having cancer from when she was 3 months old and then it reccuring again in his brain when she was 18 months and i was heavily pregnant with her sister i admit to handing over the phone or tablet to keep het quiet and occupied at hospitals and appointments. Way more then i ever thought i would. It taught her all her colours, how to count to 10, different animals and their noises and a few other things. My dad is in remission now and my daughters almost 3. Shea very smart and still loves to play on the tablet and phone but shes also bery active and loves to play outside, she does swimming and gymnastics. Technology is the future

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with them as long as you limit their time. I got my daughter a Nabi tablet and she loved it.

Everything in moderation. Give yourself a break and get a tablet for him.

Leapfrog has a lot of educational tablets that have games for only learning. I’ve had them for kids. There’s ones that just take cartridge games or some that you can only download games to it from computer or tablets that have wifi to download games and take cartridges or just wifi to download with no cartridge games. They have lots of options for what your needs and age of child.

1 Like

A suggestion to anyone in or past the toddler stage that has dealt with broken tablets no matter how good the case is, we bought my son a prepaid phone but never activated it. It works on wifi only and it’s easier for him to handle. He’s had it over a year now with an otterbox on it and it’s not broken yet!

No. Get him better toys. Like Montessori toys or toys that encourage independent play. He doesn’t need a tablet at this age. My daughter is almost 2 and plays by herself quite well because of the kind of toys I have for her. They encourage creativity and independent play so I get a break and can do things around the house. It’s not about fighting the digital age they’ve got plenty of time to learn that shit. You don’t need a child throwing tantrums over a device at this age.

4 Likes

Abcmouse was great for mine

My son got his at 1 1/2 an he is beginning to learn so much at a young age. I got mine on amazon for $70. An he loves it. We just limit his screen time. So worth it.

2 Likes

I don’t think at 1 it is necessary. I also agree that it can be bad for development… HOWEVER, there are many great apps for learning and you can actually target specific areas for development. ALSO, the world runs on technology so it’s definitely something they will need to learn at one point or another.

Just remember to limit screen time and ALWAYS be aware at what they are doing.

They even have tablets on Amazon specifically for children that aren’t Apple or Samsung.

1 Like

That’s what 1 1/2 year olds do!!! He is a BABY!!! You don’t have to keep him entertained while learning. When you dress him, say blue sock, one sock, blue sock two sock; red shirt, blue pants. One shoe, two shoes. When you go past a window or a door, say window–rectangle, when you open a door, say door knob, it is round. What else is round, Oh, a ball is round. When you wash his face, say nose and wash his nose, then point to your nose and say nose. Then you wash his chin and say Joey’s (or whatever)'s chin. and point to your chin and say Mommy’s chin. Etc etc etc . When you put the kid’s arm into the shirt, say Arm, one arm, ok other arm, two arms. Stick 3 or 4 plastic magnetic letters low on the fridge. When you two walk past, point and say this is “B”. Words with a B sound begin with B. Ball, bed, bubble, bath, Watch Sesame street in the same room. He doesn’t have to be strapped in a chair watching it. he will hear it and if interested will pay attention. See what interests him. Then reinforce it later in the day. Chill and enjoy this baby boy. If he isn’t reading by age two it isn’t going to keep him out of Stanford. Besides, maybe he will want to be an automobile mechanic or a Saxophonist and not want to GO to Stanford.

13 Likes

All they use in schools is chrome books.let him learn

You can get one and only put kid stuff in it and get the bumper case so they dont break it. There are some where you can set up a screen time limit and they shut off.

PBS has a good apps both for educational games and shows.
Avoid Youtube!

I limit my kids to an hr a day of electronics time. They have better grades and attitudes since i started limiting their time. I do think electronics are important for a child to learn since the world keeps changing and electronics are a big part of it.

Babies have learnt all of this without electronics throughout human history. Parents have taught their children without electronics throughout human history. Maybe be more taxing, harder, mind numbingly frustrating but worth it! Plus it can build an amazing bond between parent and child! :revolving_hearts:

3 Likes

No, just buy him interactive learning toys or put on educational tv like Dave & Ava on YouTube.

That’s what one year Olds do lol it’s completely up to U both my kids don’t have a tablet and there 13 11 6 and 2 we do have a Xbox but there only allowed a hour on it after school

Our daughter has a LeapFrog learning tablet. She got it for Christmas when she was 2. She’s almost 4 now and it still works amazingly. It has the ability to link to WiFi but we don’t use it for that. It has to have a password to get out of “Kid Mode” which is what it’s always on. It’s got all PBS games, some shows, songs, and it’s all learning. If you do decide to get one that’s the one I’d recommend. It was around $80 I think my MIL said at Walmart.

1 Like

You answered your own question in your opening statement that you and your husband are against electronics for youngsters. Do not get your 1.5 year old a tablet. Find better educational toys. They do not need to be attached to a screen so young.

3 Likes

Fire kids. Comes with a super protective case and a 2 year warranty.

Leap frog is good one they have all kinds of toys made by leap frog I used it with my daughter and now she is almost 4 we use basic flash cards or we count the stairs when we leave a place

1 Like

Honestly love, I know kiddo is one, but also sounds like he’s exibiting behaviors like my 6 year old nephew. Honestly sounds like he needs a little bit more discipline. Being a mom is hard. It takes a lot of work, however when we start off excusing their behavior when they’re little, because they’re only a year, and they’re just a boy, we don’t know just exactly what those excuses bring. That’s the only way that you think he’s going to learn anything oh, you got a big problem on your hands. Make him learn manually. When he begins to thrive that’s when you bring in the electronics. I let that stuff go too early with my own kids and ended up paying the price in the long run. Good luck to you and yours

1 Like

No. It’s better to give a drawing slate or books or tactile toys. Childrens tablets are better as well. And if you still intend to use a real one, 30 mins is good enough, not 1 hr. Also, pick good apps that they can really interact with, not just watch animations.

1 Like

so many people will have their opinions and most of them will be judgy but in my opinion this what happened in our situation, I was so dead set against it to.
We got married when she was 1 (the day after her 1st bday) and after we were done we moved 12 hours north of all our family 3 days later.
It was a long trip and I was so exhausted from driving I gave her the iPad we used for our wedding planning and music to watch Netflix. It helped a lot

So as she got old and could talk she asked for it again. So we decided to give it to her as hers (it was old and honestly so slow I wanted to scream every time I tried to use it) so we downloaded YouTube kids and monitored what she watched. To our surprise she only watches educational shows and how to shows, lots of cake making, and how to do certain crafts, numbers, colours etc… she is 3 now and still only gets 1 hour a day but she is so smart knows all her colours can count to 10 knows all the shapes and all the body parts. We make sure we still monitor and it’s made it a lot easier to get her into learning and wanting to start preschool. So it is all on your own parenting. Don’t let anyone judge you. It’s the world we live in, and sometimes it will help, you’ll know right away if it doesn’t and then just don’t give it to him anymore. Good luck and do what feels right for your family. You are the one that lives your life NO ONE ELSE ON HERE DOES, so do what is good for YOU!

1 Like

no way He’s only one. Teach him stuff yourself. Its easy. If your out and about teach him colours by showing him different cars. Counting is easy fingers and toes.

2 Likes