Should we get our 1-year-old a tablet?

No let him experience real life while he is little

4 Likes

No, get him outside. I work in Early years education and screen time does affect speech and communication. I see lots of young children who can count, name shape and colour but not actually have a conversation with another human.

3 Likes

We are just considering getting out 7 year old a tablet. We decided against it at a younger age to push him towards outside play and sports and he is a total sports kid, loves to play outdoors. I have just seen the negative effects those things can have on kids so we decided to wait. I’m still not 100% comfortable but we will only be downloading his school reading apps and some other fun learning ones.

I was completely against it at first too. My mom insisted. You can regulate what they play/watch on it. My daughter actually played a daniel tigers potty game and potty trained herself bc of the game. She learns songs and how to do puzzles. There are even books (she still prefers real book thank Goodness!!) I like to sit down and play some of the games with her. Its all about limits though. If she spends too much time on it, I notice she gets irritable more so I only let her spend a limited amount a day on it.

1 Like

As a gramma I think you should read the first sentence in your post again. I understand the being tired because of your little ball of energy. When my children were that age I had activity centers all over the house like crayons and a roll of paper, 1 cabinet in the kitchen with plastic bowls cups that it was okay to explore, measuring cups and cornmeal…i also involved them in learning play…wash the veggies for dinner, count out forks to set the table. These are tricks I learned from my grandmother.

It’s definitely a double edge sword. We gave our son an iPad with only age appropriate educational games on it (there is a ton) and Netflix. It has honestly helped so much. There’s times he’s bouncing off the walls and I can hand it to him for an hour and he will sit quietly and play his games. He’s even had a speech delay from having a tongue tie and we found an app that is pretty repetitive but has helped TONS with pronunciation. Every kid is different. Every parent, parents differently. Do what you think will work for your family.

No don’t do it he sounds like physical activity is how he learns u need to get creakily if u teach him on tablet he will no be connected with people and will get fat I know have one like this one

2 Likes

My kids, who are now grow, had Leap Frog pads. Very educational. And you don’t have to worry about censorship.

1 Like

Leapfrog has amazing learning toys…

One hour a day quickly turns into 2 or 3 or 4 hours.

I suggest a Leap Pad.

4 Likes

I personally would not. Yes, it is exhausting, but you’ve only began.

2 Likes

I suggest a leap pad first

5 Likes

personally - one is way too young. and if you and your partner are extremely against kids with electronics this seems like an odd question.

if you want to try electronic learning, get the baby einstein videos or something :slightly_smiling_face: you can control that mich easier.

4 Likes

No need for it at all. I got a Smart Pad with books that came with it. It has the alphabet and numbers with music, ect. It comes with the books so you can read & press the buttons on the pad

3 Likes

My son had a “gps” (leap pad) and loved it. But he was probably around 3 or 4 when he got it.

Do be against electronics…find age appropriate electronics/ apps. and limit the screen time. My youngest is in 2nd grade reading at a 4th grade level. I believe that some screen time contributes to that.

We got a leap frog tablet and loved it although it did not last long. It really bummed us out. But it had so many educational games already installed. An had parental settings. It was really nice. An not like a phone at all.

They’re gonna be just fine either way, momma :blush: it def could help some but definitely couldn’t hurt if you put restrictions on the time limits, etc. to your preferences.

1 Like

how about a Leap Frog product? Like a Leap Pad or the many others they have.

He’s only one. How about just letting him be a child all of these things are completely normal.

10 Likes

There are so many other interactive tech toys for learning…

Do what makes you feel comfortable. You can get a tablet and try it. If it doesn’t work or doesn’t sit well with you, you can put it on a shelf to save for later to pass it along to an older family member. Keep up the good work Mom!

1 Like

Board books. Toys with textures, lights and music… balls, stacking toys, push toys. I say no to tablet. They need more tactile stimulation.

2 Likes

Absolutely not. This is the easy stage keeping them entertained. :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

Honestly, a little but of screen time is ok. Hours and hours no. This can not be your go to. My children used books,coloring books and small toys including electronics to entertain themselves at an out to eat dinner. Surprisingly my kids listened more when they were under 5 so it wasn’t tough. Now we allow it but i will lock down the phones and request they interact. It’s about balance.

Sometimes I think these questions are punking us all.

4 Likes

Way too young in my opinion but you should do what you’re most comfortable with. My experience, I have 3 sons, we started with a leap pad when my oldest was 5, but it progressed to him wanting a “real one”. He’s 13 now and obsessed with electronics. I have an 8 month now and I’m learning from my past mistakes.

1 Like

He will be fine, if you do or don’t. Get him a kid friendly pad.

5 Likes

No! Screen time for a one year old will be very detrimental to him. If you start it now that’s all he is ever going to want.

3 Likes

The dudes 1. This is a waste of dough. Give him the box.

3 Likes

At 18m we face our old iPad to our daughter. She was in speech and her instructor had some links on their site for videos to help with talking. From then on it’s been “her” I pad.

She’s now 3.

She’ll only use it when I’m cleaning or if she’s having a blah day. Otherwise she’d prefer to be on the floor playing. She uses doodle kids and kids YouTube. Kids YouTube has been safe, no issues, but I can also lock out certain videos.

Monitor the shows that your LO
Is watching, and monitor the amount. Otherwise, it’s very helpful.

1 Like

We’ve done it and limited the time. Parents are so “against” it but a lot of us end up handing our phone over to get that peace so not much of a difference. I’d get learning apps “ABC Mouse” or Kids YouTube (parent control) if you think you can limit time on it, go for it. Sometimes TV is worse since TV doesn’t offer a lot of educational information for littles. A lot of cartoons are very inappropriate but only us adults know the difference. I’d say go for it. It helps me when I’m stressed but I also have 3 other children!

3 Likes

I don’t think a 1 year old needs a tablet. You can play things on the tv from YouTube that are educational. I have 16 month old and he has his shows on baby tv and YouTube stuff he likes he only watches about 30 minutes a day during the week on the weekend an hour or so throughout the day when I’m doing chores. He’s started to all for “shark” now (baby shark). Asks like 12 times a day lol I’m going to avoid the tablet use until he is much older.

1 Like

Coming from a massage therapist… absolutely not… they are so bad for their arms, necks, eyes… plus internet, fb, etc is one of the causes of bullying, so I say no

I recommend leap frog tablets that are meant for kids. Drop proof, I think water proof, and educational. It doesn’t require internet and it’s great pricing.

4 Likes

It’s ur baby! It hasn’t hurt ours but we manage time. You can’t avoid it forever in today’s world

2 Likes

I have five kids. They have NEVER had tablets. 8 6 4 & 3yr twins. You can be the “learning program” for your child :woman_shrugging:t3: You can teach him what he needs to learn at that age. Don’t leave it up to a tablet to do what you can.

3 Likes

What the hell? Please tell me this is a joke.

2 Likes

I depends on each independent family and situation. Some kids do really well with electronics, while others do not. They have many educational apps out there and you can get tablets made just for kids - no internet, Facebook whatever.
That being said, my kids (2,8,10) have used tablets. But they are limited to about 30 mins a day.
Also, many schools require kids to use tablets and laptops at school bow, starting in K or 1st grade.
We are in an electronic age. We have books on our phones, we have games, we have education and school on our devices. If it’s monitored, I see nothing wrong with it.

2 Likes

No just read to him theres no need to give a toddler a tablet please dont for your childs sake

2 Likes

We have this VTech laptop and my 22 month old LOVES it! He’s learning numbers and letters which is a bonus!
LeapFrog 2-in-1 Leaptop Touch (Frustration Free Packaging), Pink https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5HGVZ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wPD2DbFJJH1CQ

1 Like

Toddlers shouldnt have more screen time than an hour a day. I wouldnt get one for my toddler just bc of that.

My 1 and a half year old has one. He only watches education stuff on it. He has learned how to say words, his colors, etc. His time is obviously very limited on it but yes, he has one and he loves it and learns from it.

2 Likes

I have the amazon fire tablet for my daughter and shes had it for about a year already. At first she really liked the games on it and you can set requirements for playing games and there’s an app called freetime that is loaded with just kids things. Videos, games, books… I believe its good for entertaining the kids thru the grocery store or learning some things thru games. My daughter doesnt use it anymore a year later because 5 days of the week she isnt with me all day (2 at daycare, 2 with her dad, 1 with her grandpa) so she gets plenty of outdoor and real world learning. Do what is best for your child to learn. Your child wont learn well if you are getting frustrated all the time. Maybe use the tablet as an incentive to cooperate during learning time… but also remember that at that age their attention span isnt very long anyways. They’re capable of learning but maybe you should encourage individualize play, leave some toys out and let your child learn what shapes fit in which holes, how to put rings in order on the pole, get a cube that has music and buttons that teach animal sounds or instruments and stuff and just let them direct their learning.

My youngest at 2 learned her numbers abc and colours watching on a tablet personally I would have gotten them all tablets younger they are a life saver when you really have to get something done and can’t entertain for a few minutes

1 Like

My daughter has a tablet full of learning games. She got it when she was 2

1 Like

Nothing wrong with it when its limited time. There are alot of apps that are great for learning. Even ABC mouse when the baby is 2 ish. My son did those and we limit time he loved it and learned alot

My one year old got a leap frog tablet for Christmas. Y’all get off your judgmental high horses.

7 Likes

My 18 month has one but that’s cause he sees his 3 yr old brother with it. We have a fire tablet and haven’t had any issues. They don’t use it much they are barley every sitting still enough lol

1 Like

Learning with movement is very effective! Find ways to learn while moving, sounds like that is what he enjoys. If you make it a miserable process, those emotions will transfer to school days. Songs, activities, rhymes. Look up ideas on the internet. There is so much out there.

ALSO even pre-K kids are being given tablets as part of a few exercises in class, doesn’t hurt them to know how to use a tablet in this day and age. It’s not the stone ages anymore. :roll_eyes: she didn’t ask to be judged for her type of parenting.

I can tell you from my own experience- we have a 4 year old. She recieved a tablet at 3.5 years old and it immediately changed her attitude and behavior for the worst. And to boot her prek teacher told us it is actually detrimental to the learning process. However we use it just on weekends now if she’s been good for probably about an hour. Only educational games.

Studies show that real paper paged books are best for children learning. Meanwhile, they see us as parents with our phones and naturally want to be like mommy and daddy so I have a spare phone that I downloaded educational apps with child lock options ie Baby First University, ToddlerLock, etc that I let him (18 month old son) play with for a collective hour a day. His attention span isn’t great enough for more than 5 or 10 minutes of play at a time. It allows me to check my email or pee by myself. I got a screen protector, case with lanyard attachment to keep from damaging when thrown.

There are several learning shows on nick jr. Team unizoomi…bubble guppies…blaze and the monster machine…all of these teach letters numbers…colors…shapes.sharing… my grandson knew all of the basics by 3…again it depends on what u lrt them do on yhe tablet…but do limit the time

No, screens not recommended until age 2. But besides that, I wouldn’t worry about structured learning at that age.

Noooo!!! Convenience now, pay later!!

What ever happened to making the 1year do as they are told? When did parents stop being parents and become scared to hurting their kids feelings? Well bring them to me IDC about their feelings and I bet u they mind me better 🤷

4 Likes

My 2 year old has learned songs her alphabet and numbers and colors all on tablet

1 Like

Way people are addicted to screens… Im glad my kids didnt have them when younger. I had 5 around and one autistic. We did alot of creative games together. My neice is 3 and I’ve watched her since born… We do alot of hands on learning… Sign language… Lots of arts and crafts… Games and playing. We listen to music and dance… Go on " an adventure" and walk and listen for certain noises and look for certain things. We dont do alot of screen time. But baby bum has nursery rhymes music videos. We will watch that. If were at a dr appt we will find an educational video… Abc mouse ive heard people say is good. I think at times it can be ok… But even having teenagers… I limit their screen times… And make them go outside. Its finding a balance

A one year old? No!! :woman_facepalming:t3:

My son is 2 he doesn’t have a tablet but he is allowed to play educational games on our phones he is learning a lot even foreign languages like German and Spanish to each their own if you feel like it will help your child do it don’t listen to the judgemental mamas who think their better than you because their kids don’t use one it’ll be a real shocker for them to learn head start and up uses tablets and electronics to educate their kids :joy::rofl::joy:

I have 5 kids. So far the one I prepared the least for school has done the best academically! So I wouldn’t sweat it at 1.5 at ALL!

Depends on your child honestly i bought mine a tablet and it changed their attitudes

I have 8 children and the first one out of the gate was not prepared for college. The rest caught up with electronics and phones in their teens. My grand daughter has an Ipad and I monitor it closely. Educational tools are easy to download. The world is dependent on tech savvy adults.

Of course a 1½ year old doesn’t WANT to sit still and learn anything. He learns through every move/play he makes. They’re not meant or made to sit still for structured learning at this age. Let him be a baby. And read Glow Kids

4 Likes

First of all, it’s your child, so do what you want. Secondly, don’t listen to all the sanctimommies that will bash you. You know your child and your situation better than all the perfect moms on here.

6 Likes

Bust his ass you are the boss not him

Its your choice no matter what anyone on this comment thread thinks. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

The school district in my area uses iPads from Pre-K and up. So even if you were one of those parents who would rather not introduce electronics until much later, it wouldn’t work out for you, because…schools lol

2 Likes

My 6yr old knew all her colors, letters, sounds, and numbers before she was 3 because we played the Leap Frog DVD’s ALL the time. Much better than screen time.

He!! NO !!! They need adults teaching him not screen time.

2 Likes

My son is 3 and allowed to start preschool early because of how advanced he is. I let my kid watch tv more than an hour a day (however long it took me go get my college work done each night). Because of the tv he knew colors at age 2, all the presidents names, how to count to 13, shapes, abcs, etc… he wasn’t interested in books until he was 3. Now we read a lot… but I roll my eyes at parents who tell me the tablet is bad for my kiddo… yeah, if you let your kid play video games all day- that wouldn’t be great… but if they are watching shows like little baby bum or the cartoons that programming students make for practice on you tube that teach colors and shapes, That’s good… also keep an eye on what they do and make sure you’re spending good amount of time with them each day as well.

2 Likes

My son is 5 and didn’t get a tablet until about 6 months ago and it never stays charged, he forgets he has it until he sees it.

He started learning his colors and stuff when I put him in daycare with other kids who were also learning.

1 Like

How about teach and discipline bad behavior instead of being a hypocrite if you’re so damn No-screen type.

1 Like

“We’ve all seen them: kids hypnotically staring at glowing screens in restaurants, in playgrounds and in friends’ houses—and the numbers are growing. Like a virtual scourge, the illuminated glowing faces—the Glow Kids—are multiplying. But at what cost?
In Glow Kids, Dr. Nicholas Kardaras will examine how technology―more specifically, age-inappropriate screen tech, with all of its glowing ubiquity―has profoundly affected the brains of an entire generation.”
Glow Kids: How Screen Addiction Is Hijacking Our Kids - and How to Break the Trance https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250097991/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CaE2Db1TQJW79

No. Don’t get one. One is a little young for a tablet. Maybe try an educational show or dvd or songs. Free play and exploring are better learning tools for a one yr old than a tablet.

I’m a mom to much older boys but isn’t there still something called VTech or something close to that in the kids toy section or game section? It use to have tablets and other electronic things that you could buy games and learning games and they are marked with age and the things you could add was endless! That would be much more age appropriate in my opinion!! Absolutely 100% safe! Does any mom know what I’m talking about? My boys are 21 and 24 so I haven’t been in toys for a long time but I know it was super popular, sort of expensive but even more so worth it if you have a couple of youngsters that can benifit from it at the same time!! VTech had things that were like computers or tablets and phones so it would definitely keep their attention and it was fun and they learn fast!! It was found at Toys R Us or Walmart.

Im getting my 1 yr old grandbabies a Codi!

No. And make sure you’re tempering your expectations about what an 18mo should be learning. Hint: it’s not their ABCs, not yet. Free play, structure, and the development of emotional regulation and age appropriate social interaction is all you need to be worrying about. Just read to them every day, talk to them constantly, and get down on the floor and play. That’s seriously it. No tablet needed.

3 Likes

Maybe just let him free play since you aren’t big into kids with electronics. He’s under two which research shows free play is more effective and screen learning is not considered effective till around two. Don’t forget it’s ok for your child to be bored. You don’t need to keep him entertained. It’s better he learns to entertain himself when he is bored or you will end up in a vicious cycle of constantly trying to keep a child occupied. As an adult he will be bored and there will be no one to entertain him but himself.

2 Likes

Do what you feels right

1 Like

Actually, sounds more like you need to talk with your pediatrician and see if he needs a behavioral evaluation.

3 Likes

Way to young for a tablet. A good amount of toys are educational in and of themselves.

1 Like

Why would you do that? Talk to your child, read with your child, play games, snuggle, cook, vacuum. Don’t turn on an artificial baby-sitter.

1 Like

We got our daughter the kids Kurio tablet for her 3rd Christmas. We downloaded PBS Kids app and the ABC Mouse app and they are very helpful with making learning fun for her!!

Do what you think is right. You’re his mother. My son had one when he was a toddler for car rides. Kept him quiet and got his imagination running.

I got my son a tablet for his 1st birthday and I don’t regret it. I got him the amazon Fire tablet Kids edition. It only allows them to access kid friendly games/ shows and has special settings/parental controls. He’s 2 1/2 now and he counts to 10 and knows his ABCs and talks very clearly. Getting him a tablet didn’t hinder his development or learning at all. Of course he’s not on it all day long but it helps out a lot on road trips/ dr appointments/ restaurants and any other situation where I need him to be quiet and calm down for a few minutes as he’s a very rambunctious little boy.

1 Like

My kid loves blippi its on youtube she is fixing to be 2 this month and she can count and knows her abcs and knows her colors

At 18 months they’re learning about the world around them, abc’s can wait. Put on a hat and scarf and go walk in the woods, show him birds & trees, play with leaves, splash in puddles, go to a beach, throw stones in the water, let him run off his energy and he’ll be learning all the time. Maybe leave the tablet for a bit longer.

5 Likes

My oldest had a tablet at 1. She’s 4 now and while we did teach her things, she has learned a lot from her shows. My youngest is 1 but she doesn’t have a tablet, shes the complete opposite of my oldest.

1 Like

It’s all about moderation and what you plan on using the tablet for. My daughter has learned all her letters, letter sounds and how to write her name from online teaching programs.

I came to the comments for suggestions and found a bunch of sanctimommies.

We use the samsung kids app that’s native on samsung devices. And Tiggly - it helps teach shapes and colors. You can use it with the physical shapes placed on the screen or just your fingers. And just the sketchbook app that came on the tablet. We have a three year old and a freshly turned 1 year old.

3 Likes

Send him outside to eat some dirt& build immunity

Children learn through play. Puzzles, blocks, paints play dough, nursery rhymes and books is such a better way to go at this age than a tablet.

4 Likes

Your kid will learn more and faster with learning videos. Idiots.

Obviously not if this is even a question.

If you’re against electronics then why have kids? Knowing some schools have computers and they go to a local library to learn. I see no difference. My daughter is 3 and she plays on electronics but we limit her time with it. Some of these answers are stupid.

They have many learning shows on tv like babyfirst or sesame street I think he’s too young for a tablet