Should you attend a childs birthday party if you cannot afford a gift?

Okay I have a question and need opinions. My kids got invited to a birthday party but I currently don’t have money to spare to get the child a gift. Should we just go and let it be what it is or should we stay home? I honestly just feel bad but I just can’t afford it

44 Likes

Could they make them a card? I would suggest maybe have your child make them a gift… and still go to the birthday? Or maybe even if you have a dollar store.

It’s my job to get gifts for my child, if I invite you to my kiddos birthday I just want you there for my kiddo nothing more. You mean something to my child if I invite you so please show up. :joy:

68 Likes

Yes!! Please just go! My little girl was not sat there saying this person didn’t get me a present, but she did ask where certain kids were and why they didn’t come. That’s all she cared about.

43 Likes

So hear me out- a gift doesn’t have to be something you buy. Have your child do an art project, make them a card, color a picture. Write them a letter.
I wouldn’t show up empty handed but I’d definitely do some made!

23 Likes

I promise you, them momma’s just want people there to celebrate their kiddos. They’d rather that anytime over absences. Gifts are optional but I’d rather people actually show up for my kid(s). 🩵

19 Likes

Definitely still go! Give your kid a piece of paper and markers and have them spend some time making a sweet birthday card for them and that will be more than enough! Any decent person doesn’t invite people just for a gift, they want to your kid to be there to celebrate their birthday and have fun with them!

42 Likes

You could make a treat if you feel obligated to bring something, but please bring yourself! Family and friends are the best part of birthday parties!

13 Likes

That kid will enjoy the company more than a gift I promise

8 Likes

My invitations always say “no presents are necessary” because I would rather our kids play together and enjoy each other’s company than worry over material crap. And I believe we had many more kids this year because the parents finally took it to heart. :heartpulse:

8 Likes

Of course you can. Birthday parties are not just about gifts. Don’t feel bad!!

9 Likes

If it was my child’s party, I would tell you don’t worry about a gift, just come and enjoy. Gifts aren’t required. I totally understand where your coming from, I would be questioning it too and feel weird. But let’s be real, the child probably won’t even notice you didn’t get a gift. Kids don’t pay attention to who got them what lol especially if they are little/young. I’ve been there, we all hit hard times and don’t always have the extra money. Just go to the party. Being present means more than bringing a present.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t think twice if my kid didn’t get a gift (most parents dread another wave of toys coming into the house). I would be sad if no one came to celebrate because of a monetary reason.

4 Likes

Of course. The kids don’t notice, they just love hanging out with their friends.

Maybe you could make a home made voucher for a park date with your kid ?

5 Likes

Make homemade gifts…bracelets and necklaces if for a girl, picture frames out of popsicle sticks…the list could go on. Homemade cards out of construction paper and glam or glitter it up. There are so many options…maybe even check pintrest

5 Likes

I have had people show up to my kids party and tell me sorry I couldn’t afford a gift and i told them that’s fine you showing up is a present enough! Your showing you care enough bout that child

Definitely still go!! Get a piece of paper and have your kid make a card!! It means more to me that you brought your kids to play and enjoy the day with my son, then worrying about gifts!

Go to the party. The fun of a birthday is having lots of friends there to play and celebrate with. As a parent, I would want the attendance over the gift. If nothing else, throw a few bucks into a card. Kids like getting money. There’s nothing sadder than a birthday party that hardly anyone attends.

If I invited you kids to my child’s party it would be because my child wanted them there. A gift is a gift. A homemade card to most kids means just as much. I’d like to think that people would understand this. My kids were young I was having a party and a little boy no one knew was looking in the front door window. He was invited in to join us and we called his mum to let her know. That little boy made new friends that day and had a blast. It’s about celebrating not giving. Hope your kids have a great time

For the future, I save gifts my kids get that they don’t absolutely love for when I’m in a bind and need gifts lol

8 Likes

Go! Make a homemade card if you want to take something. We love homemade gifts! The sweetest gift my daughter got last year was flowers picked from a garden!

3 Likes

YES! Please go. From a mom whose child only has our little immediate family on birthdays, I promise you all that child cares about is that you show up.

Have your kids make a handmade card :heart: I have never expected gifts for any of my kids birthday parties. They would just be happy to have friends. You should definitely go!

Personally…id be embarrassed to discover you didn’t turn up because you couldn’t afford a gift. I’d feel I’d put you in a horrible position. Please just go. Have the children enjoy themselves . If it makes you feel bad to turn up with no gift …have your child write an invite to share a home movie night with pjs and snacks.
It’s nice to give…but its not as nice as sharing time with friends

Definitely go! My child would absolutely rather his friends attend his party than any gifts and honestly wouldn’t even notice if there wasn’t a gift from every person attending, he’s 8

3 Likes

Go. I would never get mad for someone not bringing a gift. Chances are I’m just thankful you brought your kiddo to make my kiddos birthday special.

3 Likes

I enjoy my kids friends presence over presents. Lol mainly because I wouldn’t know who the kids was if it wasn’t for having parties. :heart: maybe make some paper origami animals or something. Or snacks from the pantry if you feel you need to take something. But I never want anyone not to come because of a gift. :heart: my heart is with you mama

Yes. It’s not about a gift…

Absolutely go. My son would always have rather had friends attend than worry about giving him a gift. It also teaches them what’s really important and it’s not the “things” that matter most.

2 Likes

I always ask for presence over presents in the invites id rather them receive nothing and have a good time with friends than no one to show up at all they have more than enough toys and clothes but I have had people bring candy and a dollar tree toy and they were still excited and they go through presents so fast they can’t tell who is from who they just know who was there

1 Like

I personally don’t expect anything from others! I had some friends make bracelets as a gift, pictures, etc… my kids just want their friends :heart:

i would go,whenever i plan my kids ‘party’ i don’t really care if people bring gifts. I just want the people to come and enjoy themselves and let their kiddos play.

2 Likes

Yes pls do- I’ve had to pull them mom aside before and say “I’m really sorry but I couldn’t swing a present” but she was so glad we came anyways! You don’t even have to tell them tho, they’ll prob never notice

I have had parties for my kids that included their whole class. I think a few didn’t bring gifts as I stated to let their presence be their gift. It would be heartbreaking for either nobody to show up at a party, or not be able to come due to money constraints

4 Likes

I have never asked someone to come to any of my daughters because I want them to get her a present , I invited them because I want my daughter to spend her birthday with the people she loves.
Taking their time to go was their present

Me personally I feel better if the parent comes so my kids friends are there. Material things they outgrow or stop playing with mean nothing. Memories is what I look for. Trying to teach my kids that now! We didn’t do a party for my daughter this year. Instead we went to seaworld. Would rather make memories over a bunch of useless stuff they will outgrow or break in a week :rofl: go momma and let that kiddo enjoy the company of your little! 🫶🏼

It’s not about the gifts. Whenever I do parties for my kiddos I always put gifts optional. It’s just about coming over and having a fun special day hanging out with friends.

2 Likes

we have made birthday cards or bought birthday cards never really bought gifts because dont know what they like. and if i have a little bit of money i put in the card the kids can do what they want if parents let them.

As a parent, I would prefer you and your child show up without a gift ad opposed to not showing up just bc you couldnt afford a gift. To my daughter it’s all about having her friends celebrate with her rather than gifts :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve had birthday parties to go to for my daughter’s friends before and didn’t have spare money. My child will draw or make a present if we can’t afford to buy one. We’ve also regifted before, like sending toys she’s no longer interested in that aren’t in bad shape. It’s the thought that counts, and anyone that says otherwise is just materialistic.

Yes. Go. Gifts are always optional!

4 Likes

I personally invite people for their company, not their gifts. I’m trying to raise my son to not be a materialist and spoilt brat.

1 Like

My grandson just turned 7 had a skating party, he had gifts , but enjoyed how many of his friends came , he didn’t even know if someone there didn’t bring him a gift , he has a blast, skating with his friends

1 Like

Surely you have a book at home you can wrap up for the kid?

1 Like

Recently my little girl turned 10 2 of her friends gifted her home made cards and home made gifts she loved them all but most of all make them memories go to the party surely they didn’t invite you just for gifts :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You should definitely go still.
Even on my invites for my kids I say you being at the party is the best gift!

My kids have enough stuff honestly, we do parties for fun and them to have interaction with their friends.

No you go. That friend will understand. Too much they will get anyway! And never feel that way. Your heart is in the right place. Hope you get a job soon. And hey if you really wanted you could be creative and have him make a card.

1 Like

I would prefer someone show up regardless pf the gift.

When we have parties for my kids I always make sure to say don’t feel obligated to bring a gift just bring yourself and have a good time.

2 Likes

It’s not about getting gifts… It’s about having their friends around them and feeling love on their special day… I always say gifts aren’t required, but if they must I give them some pointers on what the kids like… Please still go…

I recently had this problem the parent was so graceful in understanding that times are hard ATM

I understand I don’t like to go anywhere empty handed. Have your kiddo make a card or just ask the parents if I could get a gift at a later time.

I would love to see my child’s friend there instead of gifts
U have also requested no gifts before. Go let your kids play and enjoy the other kids

I would talk to the mom and let them know. Personally I would be happy that you reached out and came. Gift not necessary

Have them make the child a card❤️

Dollar tree for a coloring book and crayons, I think your child would feel better taking a gift

I would go! If it makes you feel better, have your kids make the child a card

1 Like

In our family, it’s presence over presents. Applies to family and friends. If you don’t want to go empty handed, have your kiddos make something for the birthday child.

I guarantee if you talk to the parent they’ll just be happy you’re there.

Go, make memories, much more important than a material gift.

Or if you can take maybe 2 dollars and go to dollar tree if you look hard enough can get something.I am sure the child wont notice if you went with nothing but your child would probably feel funny.

1 Like

Personally I would not go if I couldn’t bring at least a little gift

1 Like

Yes. I taught my kids that it’s about sharing your day having fun with friends & family. A gift is a bonus.

Just be honest & tell the host ahead of time.

1 Like

I always say please come and you don’t have to bring anything. Let them go to that party

With me it depends on the relationship I have with the parents.

Id go but would get a card xx

Yes the kids can make a card you would not be the 1st and won’t be the last.

Go make a card and a gift book for play dates

Absolutely! We don’t throw parties for the gifts :revolving_hearts:

If they only want you there for the a gift, well then I wont go. I would never expect gifts from guests. They are just a bonuses.

Definitely go!!! It’s abt friends showing up rather than gifts

Definitely go…maybe you could have ur kids just make a card

Yes it’s not always about a gift but love for the child

Buy nothing group, regift, an old favorite toy, book, board game something in good condition, bubbles idk kids ages.

Make a card
And make a coupon for a play date / spending night sometime .

I personally wouldn’t cuz they are spending money them to feed everyone and get other kids favors that attend, but that’s me

Definitely still go!!! Have your kids make them a card :heart:

Painted rocks! Handmade card! Baked cookies! But even if you’re not able to do those either, please still go :slightly_smiling_face:

I always tell people we want your presence not presents

Have your kids make cards ,And take them to celebrate.

Take a toy you have at home or something homemade.

Presents are a plus not a must.

Have your kids make cards. I’d rather have my kids friends show up without a gift than not show up. I’ve known too many kids that had noone show up to their party. It’s heartbreaking.

I always have construction paper and marker to make cards.

I don’t get pissed when someone arrives without a gift. To me they aren’t mandatory, just come to the party, eat some food and enjoy yourself!! Same with holidays, my moms side is all about gifts, secret Santa bs with a $50 no more no less limit and I’m just like … nah, if you come to my house for Christmas eve don’t even worry about gifts just come and enjoy it with everyone. That gift crap pisses me off when it’s made to be all about gifts.

Still go darl
Perhaps you could get your kids to
Make a special birthday card
Perhaps gi to a $1 shop and get a packet of stickers

Please go for the sake of the kids having people there to celebrate. Most of us just want our babies friends there to make the day special. I always put on the bottom of our invitations that your presence means so much more to us than a present!

Yes. Gifts are not mandatory . The company should be more then enough

Speak to the parent I’m sure they will be okay with it. My daughter had a party and the parent couldn’t afford the gift so the mum reached out, I said it wasn’t a problem wasnt about the gift.:blush:

1 Like

Depends on the family if there stuck up , you need a gift . If there humble you don’t …personally I would care . I would completely understand… but not everyone is the same

I would rather have your kid there than a gift

yes go! maybe let mom n dad know ahead of time you can’t if yall know eachother like that, have your kids make them bday cards from there art stuff n call that a gift.
if mom n dad actually care about the gift more than there baby having people there to celebrate the party with, then that’s more telling on them! every baby wants their friends over for there birthday! that’s what matters!

Take you’re baby to the party kids don’t care about presents they want there friends there more

Go! I would much rather my kids enjoy the day with friends than to have a gift.

If you’re in Santa Cruz area. I have sm gifts and bags. Hit me up. If not just go

Colouring book and crayons, all kids like to colour and it’s cheap, look on Pinterest and see what your kids can help make out of materials you have at home

When my friend’s son was a little boy someone gave him a special gift he has never forgotten. A boy who couldn’t afford a present stood up with a birthday card and read out all the reasons he liked the birthday boy. He still has the birthday card framed in his house.

32 Likes

I would still want you to come! Kids don’t remember that kind of thing.

10 Likes

I would let the parents know you can’t afford a gift and ask if it still okay to attend which I’m sure they will say yea please!