Should you force a child to get braces?

if it’s effecting his speech or eating yes. if it’s bc you want his teeth straight for beauty purposes, if he says no leave him alone.

1 Like

My daughter did & didn’t want them. She didn’t want people to make fun of her & was nervous to get them. Now a year later, she has so much more confidence. She’s always smiling now😊

2 Likes

If medically need yes. If not than just wait he might want them when he’s older.

If it’s interfering with his eating yes for sure.

I’m that mom… he’s you’re responsibility. All his medical . You get final say. Kid says no. You say yes. Kids are vain at time and don’t want to be made fun of. But my daughter got braces and realized half her grade had them.

It’s your job as parents to do what’s right. You have final say. Stop letting your kids tell you what they will and won’t do.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t I have crooked teeth and I don’t mind them and my kids are the same way I think the only reason to do it is if it’s medically necessary and I don’t think braces are considered necessary strictly speaking

Try invisalign? Braces you can’t see

Def. if he Is underage and still in your home then all his medical needs lay on your shoulders. if he needs them get them. he may be mad and crabby at the beginning but maybe just maybe ehe will thank you when he is older

1 Like

As a teen who had braces. Yes. It sucked but I’m happy I went through with it.

1 Like

If his teeth are crooked but not causing serious issues, then he doesn’t really need braces and how he feels about them should at least be taken into consideration… if his teeth are crooked and are/will/might cause teeth cracking or jaw problems if not corrected, then he has to have braces even if he doesn’t want them… best of luck

I’d say yes because most insurances won’t pay for braces I can’t remember if it’s 18+ or 21+ it’s one of those. My parents offered me to get braces when I was younger, I declined because it was only one tooth that wasn’t straight. Then I got older and I wanted to correct that one tooth and ins wouldn’t cover any of it because of my age.

2 Likes

Maybe go for one of the “invisible” options as a compromise

Nope. Let them pay for themselves as an adult

I never wanted braces but I’m sure as glad that my mama made me have them.

Yes, you are the parent!!!

1 Like

No definitely not
Its a painful process
I wore them for 4 years

Yes because they regret not getting done once they are an adult! It’s harder to get covered once an adult! My brother didn’t get them and regrets it 100%. I prepped my son since he was little like baby teeth little that he would probably get Braces because of how crowed they were. He’s a year into his 2nd phase! I do not regret making him get them and keep and he’s not even done yet! Such a HUGE difference! Hell I made him get 4 teeth pulled and then within a hour get his front 4 and 2 back brackets on! I’ll own all day I’m a bitch but he only hated me for a day not 2!

I say don’t. If he doesn’t want them he’s not gona use the retainer and it’ll be a waste of money

You will love my nephew. He was so resentful over being forced to have braces, when he moved out for college, he went to a dentist, had his permanent retainer removed, and mailed said permanent retainer to his parents with a note that read “This is yours, you paid for it.”

What would you do if he undermined his orthodontic treatment?