Should you pay family to babysit?

Id offer her a little bit but if she literally does nothing and offered to watch the baby for free then all id do is offer some

Yes. I pay my mom and she lives with us. Wouldn’t you rather pay someone who you trust instead of some stranger? Even if it isn’t much, still offer her something!

If you have the means, and she is in need, then yes. :woman_shrugging:t3: I did. It wasn’t half of the daycare charges.

1 Like

I paid my mom to watch & supply everything she needed

Yes there’s a difference in time spent w grandchildren than watching them full time if she wasn’t watching them you would have to pay a day care

6 Likes

Yes pay her and be done.

1 Like

If you can afford it, I would, at least a little bit. Watching kids are hard work, whether they are your own, your grandkids or someone else’s. Especially a newborn when its someone elses. It would help her out, helps you out because the price of daycare is outrageous. And she wouldn’t be able to throw in your face that she does it for free. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Definitely she deserves to be paid, she is providing a service.

The only difference in that and daycare, is you pick her up. So, yes some kind of payment.

Yes I would offer her something

Absolutely should be paying her. She’s taking care of your child for you. If she wasn’t around you’d need to pay a babysitter. Big difference between spending time together and spending her time watching her.

My mom has been watching my kids for 16 years. She has never once asked for money. She rather watch them so i dont have to spend money on daycare.

2 Likes

Her time is worth a lot…you can trust she loves caring for your child…Daycare is extremely expensive

1 Like

Should either be paid, or do do something nice for her as a thank you if nothing more.

Yes…people pay complete strangers to watch their kids she doesn’t have to be watching the kid just cause it’s her grandchild. Grandparents are not obligated to do any of these things they do them because they are family they care and want to help and most likely know how hard it can be to find good childcare. Or at least give her something twice a month.

1 Like

I moved from out West to where my daughter and son n law live before my granddaughter was born just so I could watch her so she didn’t have to go into daycare and so they could save money. I think it’s a privilege to take care of her and watch her grow up. I don’t ask them for anything nor would I ever dream of asking them for a dime. But again I’m that type of Mother/Nana. Maybe you should get it out in the open what the expectations are from her whether she wants a payment for watching her grandchild or just guilt tripping you.

3 Likes

I agree with the comments as well. That may be her grandchild but if she doesn’t have a job and techinally can’t if she’s stuck watching YOUR and YOUR FIANCEES child. That’s a little unfair. And techinally its not her responsibility. Its yours and ur hubby. I’d rather pay and have my mom watch mine then paying a arm and a leg for a daycare. Mind you a day care costs around 300 a month. And thats not including everything the baby needs while at daycare

1 Like

It depends on the person. Everyone is different.

Personally, I wouldn’t feel right without paying at least something. Babies are hard work & that’s a lot of time/attention out of her day to care for the baby. However, yes she is family & grandparents should willingly want to help out their children and grand babies.

I was in a predicament for daycare situation for a little while. If my mom could have done it, she would not have accepted money from me at all… she said so (but my mom has a FT job and couldn’t).

The kids’ father’s mom wanted almost $1K per month for watching baby! WTF?! Crazy. That was short lived to say the least. :dizzy_face::relieved:

Honestly, yes. She’s providing a service to y’all, which means she should be paid for it. Family or not.

Pay her something.
Trust me she is worth it.
Daycare brings problems of own…
If your child is even a little sick you would have to miss work, way more expensive and no daycare will love your child like their grandma will.
Best to weigh your options and think hard before causing waves with his mom♡

1 Like

Yes I watch my grand babies my moto us if they are working an getting paid so am I. If the go out date night its Nana time. I am giving up my days fir rhem an my life on hold.

3 Likes

Of course why should she do it for free? Your able to work and make money while she keeps your child. Child care is expensive so be thankful you have family to do it cheaper

2 Likes

Yes… that’s your child and if she wasn’t available to watch your child you would be paying someone else or daycare so why not pay her for her time because she doesn’t have to watch the baby just because it’s her grandchild and it’s probably the only reason why she watches the baby… stop being petty and pay her :100:

At least give her a Kroger or other grocery card twice a month. And be thoughtful of her needs. Maybe run some if her errands for her…

If you gave someone 20 hours a week of your time, Could you live on doing it out of love? I’ve learned that helping out is good but it should be really appreciated. You sound resentful of her wanting anything. Shouldn’t she deserve more respect from you? Do you resent feeling that you need her? Ask yourself some questions then talk with your fiance and make a decision. She is making it possible for you to work.

2 Likes

Yes they are takeing care of your child if you had a babysitter you would pay her or even daycare

No but if she’s acting like this tell her to go away and pay a babysitter.

I pay my mom and so does my sister

I watch my granddaughter for free and that’s fine for me but for some that’s not fine but if she wanted to be paid then that should’ve been discussed in the beginning and not as a guilt thing later.

1 Like

There is a big difference between a grandparent watching their grandchildren while the parents have a date night or whatever and watching the grandkids everyday. Since this is a everyday for four hours thing, yes you should pay her. Paying her will be a lot cheaper than daycare. Sit down all together and talk about how much per hour/day/week and also talk about expectations for what she needs to do while watching the baby. That way everything is clear and everyone is happy.

It’s cheaper to throw a few dollars her way then hire a babysitter, maybe 100 a week ?

4 Likes

Yes I used to pay my mom even if it was just 50 a week, she didn’t work and she never asked for money but she was nice enough to watch my kids so I paid her a little anyway! If you had a sitter you’d pro pay out the ass so be grateful your baby has a grandparent that will watch her :slightly_smiling_face: sitters aren’t cheap show her you appreciate all she does :heart:

If she has no job and is broke (sounds like it since she has no car or job). Yes, pay her. Think you would be paying anyone else plus you know your kid is safe with her.

3 Likes

Yep. At least then she can’t throw it up in your face

I hate people doing things for me for free. Makes me feel obligated. I don’t like that feeling.

2 Likes

It’s one thing if she says she doesnt need payment but if she asks it’s not out of left field to pay for childcare…just saying. It’s your child not hers. She’s doing you a favor imo.

2 Likes

I’m sure she won’t need as much as a daycare, nanny, or even a babysitter

If its often then yes.

Yes pay her something.

I would give my mom a little something, or at least try to. I doubt she would take it lol. But when my papa babysat me fulltime from birth till school age and then some, my parents gave him a weekly check. Mostly to just cover snacks, gas, outings, and such. I’d offer a little amount so she can’t say shit anymore

Yes you should pay her.
She’s working for you.

1 Like

It’s some sad ass grannies that wanna get paid!!!
Obviously she’s one of them…I’ve watched mine and supplied all they needed…I do it out of love…that’s my payment but everyone isn’t me!!!
Seems like it’s discussion time to see exactly where this granny is coming from(if she wants money from you guys for babysitting her grand)
May as well lay it on the line…I don’t know y’all situation so I can’t say what y’all should do…but the way you’re sounding grandma wants to get paid …
Is there anyone else that can babysit or what!!!
Personally I’d find someone else even if I did have to pay them…I don’t like the fact it’s thrown up in your face so duces to her

Yes you should pay her. Check out how much child care cost and pay her a little less that way you can feel like your getting a good deal and she can feel appreciated. Plus your baby and her grandchild is well cared for.

1 Like

You do want someone that is going tobe good yo your child taking care of it. Who should care more than its grandmother? As a grandmother though, it does not mean that she is respondible for raising your child for you for free, especially if she really needs the money for those “LITTLE THINGS,” If you hired a total stranger to car for her, you would not have the peace of mind that you now have AND NO ONE ELSE IS GOING TO DO IT FOR FREE . TALK TO HER AND TELL HER HOW MUCH YOU BOTH APPRECIATTE WHAT SHE IS DOING FOR BOTH OF YOU AS WELL AS FOR HER GRANDDAUGHTER. AND TO SHOW IT YOU WOULD LIKE TO PAY HER FOR HER TIME AND TROUBLE and then ask her how much she would like to have. Before you do , check with your fllow workers to see what THEY ARE PAYING FOR CHILD CARE!!! YOU MAY WANT TO KISS HER FEET AS WELL WHEN YOU FIND OUT.

1 Like

Up to u… If u want her to shut up… Then do it… My thoughts are she should want to do it… But piece of mind might b cheaper!

Yes My Son - in law nd Daughter, both work,.my Granddaughter is almost 2 years old . No way do I want her in a Daycare especially at a young age.
Now days, Daycare is not cheap nd really can’t be trusted.
I never intended to have them pay me to Babyset. Just that it would be nice!
I never came to them asking from the very beginning, they came to me.

Yes you should pay her nou daycare is gonna watch your baby for free

Depends if u pay for living and cable and food then no …she needs to GROW UP AND work for it$$$$

Ugh i just cant with this post!!! How many mamas would love grame helping out??? Its a messed up world out there i would be grateful and pay up.

1 Like

My mom watched my son for free 5 days a week for years and never asked for a dime. She even provided all the food/drinks. It depends on the grandparent I suppose. But if she wants $ then I say, figure out a price and pay her. We paid our most recent babysitter $2.50/hour which will never happen again anywhere else with those rates. But it ended up about $400/month full time. Crazy good deal.

Are these questions for real?

Take your child to day care the government helps a lot with the fees and tell her to get lost! Seriously I could never imagine ever putting my children in such an awkward situation like this. She should be ashamed of herself as a grandmother!

1 Like

She is wrong, how can she want money for looking after her own grandchildren. She is so wrong

1 Like

I paid my mum $50 a day when I went back to work from 5am-5pm, as well as I coveted her living expenses for the week living with me ($140 Inc food WiFi ect)

Yes of course you should I think it’s rude to not even consider it

1 Like

My siblings used to think just because I was family I would watch their kids for free. It was extremely irritating. Even if it was just a few dollars every once in a while it would have been showing some sort of effort to compensate me for my time. Did you guys have any sort of conversation about how often she would be babysitting? Or any sort of plan or just think because shes grandma she will watch the baby for free? You guys need to sit down and talk to her about it.

1 Like

I looked after my grand caught from 7am till 6.30pm everyday, from her being 9months till 3 years old and able to start school, so my daughter and her boyfriend could work. They couldn’t afford a nursery place even though my daughter worked in a child s nursery. I never took a penny from them. She’s my grand daughter, I loved having her. Yes, it was tough some days but it’s about helping out family. Your mother in law is wrong. She should be wanting to help, not causing you problems. Xw

If its consistent ye I would offer to pay her. Its not like she just minds the baby now and again she is saving you so much. Don’t know why u mentioned u provide diapers and formula ect. Why wouldn’t u be its your baby

2 Likes

Yes this way you won’t be so beholden to her…it’s business and once you pay her you won’t owe her anything.

2 Likes

if she wants to get paid pay her.

1 Like

Family is a 2 way street. If she does it for free than buy her stuff or ask if maybe she would like 50 or so a week so she has some spending money.

1 Like

Yes you should pay hello do you work for free???:grin:

2 Likes

Yes! Pay her! It is the best money you will ever spend.

3 Likes

If she needs the money to live and is helping, then pay. If she is doing it out of love and support, then a gesture from you, to thank her, is in order. Flowers, small gift now and then, and make sure she knows you appreciate what she’s doing. Don’t take her for granted. Also, watching a baby when you are older is tiring, so why wouldn’t you run into the shop for her?

4 Likes

I would never ask for money for looking after my grandchild. I would consider it a privilege! As far as your grandchild not being your child, I consider your grandchild to be twice your child! If she is in need of money I would help her out with a token amount. It is important to show your appreciation in whatever way you see fit.

1 Like

My Mother wouldn’t accept any money from us when she looked after our eldest child when we were working, but every Friday I bought her groceries, meat, washing powder etc. and I always gave her vouchers for her hairdresser 2 have her hair done for her birthday, at Christmas, Easter and took her out for her lunch when I had days off. I wouldn’t expect anyone 2 child care for nothing, after all it is a hard responsible job.

5 Likes

I personally wouldnt take any money to babysit my grands, but ev e rybodys situation is different.

1 Like

my mom wouldnt have either but she also couldnt have towards the end she had hands that would shake so bad she had a hard time eating

I’ve never took any money for keeping mine. Maybe she needs something. I’d give her something if she is keeping her regularly…

If she is wantong to be paid which sounds it then yes. You would have to pay another sitter. So I’d pay her…

1 Like

I have look after my grandchildren for free taken them to school look after during school holidays now they are grown up they look after me and I have never wanted for anything their love is given freely as is mine

1 Like

I get paid for watching mine… Not full price because I am helping out my children…but they would have to pay way more without my help … they appreciate my being there to help them raise their children. Maybe you should look at the positive, not the negative and if she can drive then have her drive… But good , diapers , and clothing are normal need that a parent must provide for their children. Show her your appreciation, daycare is expensive…

2 Likes

Pay her that way you dont feel obligated to owe her anything though its sad that she would stoop this low. And when she is not on the clock let her watch the child with supervision. Treat her like an employee til she learns to be a real grandma. My parents does not even do that with my daughter

Yes… pay her enough to have spend money atleast. Maybe 50-80 a week… babysitters are not cheap so dont take advantage of the situation and lose what you have

2 Likes

Yes the child is safe with grandma and well loved. You could put child in daycare which would cost you a pretty penny. Quit complaining and pay her for her job well done

2 Likes

I’ve only encountered daycares where I had to provide formula, diapers, wipes, ect… due to allergies and what nots. Even though I supplied all the stuff (excluding lunch menu) I still had to pay for childcare. Same with inhome care as well.

Yes. Show her some gratitude. It’s not an easy job to look after a baby. Babies need alot of attention.

1 Like

Give her what ever she wants! Don’t be so ungrateful! She is saving you more than money! Your child is getting tender loving care and is not being exposed to every virus and germ that floats by! If you had to pay the expense of outside daycare it will be much more, then add in all the doctor visits and lost wages for sickness not to mention a miserable baby!! Good lord! People don’t know when they gave it good!!

2 Likes

She is doing you a favor and taking time from her life to care for your child i think providing her some money per week is not a bad thing and i feel that is what she is maybe saying, but doesn’t want to ask for money because she feels bad. All grandparents are different some want to get paid and some not i have heard both ways! My parents watched my child two times a week adn we paid her 15 a day because they both were retired we provided everything lunch, breakfast ect.I would talk to her and ask if she wants to be paid and agree on a wage per week or day. Either way it’s cheaper than daycare which is 6 every two weeks for 1 child.

1 Like

Yes! While I am sure she loves her grandchild, it is not her responsibility to keep your child. Be thankful!

1 Like

Yes pay the women.you kind are acting like your doing her a favor by picking her up and dropping her off. Yes parent’s should be paying for diapers and formula you had the baby not Her.At the end of your work week you get a check right ? Looks like you will be paying for a sitter real soon so you won’t have this problem

1 Like

Pay her and supply the stuff. You wouldn’t work for nothing!

4 Likes

Yes, you would be paying at least $500 a month for childcare and you have to supply the diapers, formula, and extra clothing.

1 Like

Why? My great grandmother watched my brother and myself before school, after school and during the summer days we weren’t with our mother for the summer. She never asked for a dime and fed us and helped clothe us. She loved us and making sure we were taken care of while our dad worked was more important than money.

Yes, you should of least offered. She raised her kids. Like you said grandmother.

My parents watch my daughter for my husband and I while we work…we don’t pay them for it…and they have never NEVER thrown that in our faces. We supply diapers/wipes/etc and my parents know that if we had to pay daycare I would’ve just quit my job…wouldn’t have brought home much money after paying for childcare. Since they don’t want payment we always try to pay for little things that come up…we go out to dinner or they ask us to pick up something for them. You could offer to pay if you can afford it or do the little things for her before she has a chance to try and throw it in your face…not that she is right in doing that because it’s not and is childish, but try to make her feel that she is not being taken advantage of. Unfortunately some people just like drama…my mom on the other hand would not have it any other way unless it was me staying home. Good luck Mama

1 Like

I don’t work so I hardly ever get grand parents to babysit. They don’t charge. Either does my son’s aunt. If I worked, or it was on a regular basis where I know they could use the money I’d offer them 300-500$ a month, or let them live here for free or something. It’s still way cheaper then daycare prices. Even if she wants pay she shouldn’t always rub it in your face. It depends what works for you guys. Maybe sit down, and have a family talk to see what will make you guys all happy, and what’s manageable for everyone.

1 Like

I babysit my almost 2 yr old granddaughter and 7 month old great granddaughter for free and ask for nothing.

I’ve baby sat all my grandchildren except 1, never charged for watching the children, I enjoyed their company. First 6 are now adults. And as for the grandmother thats having hissy fit for having to watch for free, I don’t know if paying her is going to make any difference. I think she’ll demand more from her son. who knows.

1 Like

My mom used to babysit for me while I was at work and it was free of charge although since we weren’t paying her we would buy her little gifts of appreciation. Sometimes they just want to know there appreciated.

No, she never asked in the beginning. Taking care of a kid is definitely not a job. Moms dont get paid.

Personally I think no grand parent wants to have to get paid to watch their grandchildren. But everyone’s financial situation is different. So if your not paying it doesn’t hurt to help her out here and there if she needs it.

1 Like

If the grandmother has offered to keep your daughter for free, then getting her stuff from the store from time to time should not be an issue. You are coming out much cheaper then paying for daycare. Depending on where you live, that could run you anywhere from $100 to over $200 a week. Now she is wrong for throwing it in your face.

Maybe, my mom watches are daughter and so does my father in law because, it’s there grandchild. This is there words not mine, I have said I would pay them. They have always said no but everyone is different. I would ask if she wants paid and give money if she says yes and if she says no the next time she acts that why I would remember her she didn’t want paid to watch the child.

Note: I’m a bitch this move is not for everyone but, it works for me.

Maybe if she needs the money why not.just because she is a g and parent don’t mean she must do it for nothing

1 Like

I’m an active grandparent of 4 living in the cities if I need diapers or milk, or food my kid gets it not for me but to give her kids what they need. There have been times when I’ve needed a few extra bucks & if I ask my kid for it that kid will help but for her to get paid no way, I would find another person to do it DO NOT feel obligated to have her continue, call your local high school, talk to a counselor & get a HS student do it for the summer months, by fall you’ll be better abeled to find someone long term for a reasonable cost. It’s been proven that most kids in daycare socialize quicker & do better with situations depending of course on what it is, they learn a little bit of patience & this will improve as the baby gets older. I’d be damned if I would ever ask her to sit again except maybe in an emergency. She’s holding you hostage!!

That or find another baby sittet!!

Check with your state, they pay grandparents for babysitting. It’s a “win-win” for everyone.

I would tell her that I am glad to pay her to watch the child since she is not working and is helping us out. But if she declines the payment then let her know that it is her choice to watch the baby for free and we are not obligated to buy her whatever she wants while she is using the favor to make us feel guilty.

Also, you should speak to your husband and be sure that he is there when you offer her money…otherwise she will just use him to get what she wants.