Side effects of Nexplanon?

I have had the Nexplanon implant in my arm for 15months now, and my periods are still not consistent! I may have one month without bleeding, and then the next month, I get 3-4 heavy periods back to back for the WHOLE month, or I get periods every other week. It is safe to say it is driving me up the absolute wall. I plan on going to the doctor, but I live several 100s of kilometers from a town in a rural setting. So I was just wondering if anybody out there went on some type of medication or combined it with a pill? I’ve googled everything I can think of, and I can’t get a straight answer. I just want to know if there’s anything I can do before I may have to waste my time on a doctor’s visit just to be told there’s nothing they can do.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Side effects of Nexplanon? - Mamas Uncut

I got mine out at the 2 year mark because I have only 1 week a month of not bleeding amd then the last 3 months was non stop bleeding… I couldn’t take it any more

I had to remove mine because of this. It was causing me to have anemia. I think it’s safer to get it removed. Maybe try an iud, if you haven’t already. I have kyleena and I have little to no periods.

All I had to do was get estrogen pills from my doctor and it fixed this same issue for me

1 Like

I cut down the amount of lactose in my diet and my PMS symptoms dramatically improved. Maybe try that?

My awful symptoms from Nexplanon haven’t stopped. I bled every day the first 375 days I had it. Year 2 I had one every other week. This last year, I’ve had one monthly but it’s extremely heavy. I’ve gained 70lbs from it, plus other things. If you’re in the position to get it taken out, I would.

1 Like

I’ve had it twice now. The first time I had it I rarely had a period and if I did it only lasted a couple days or it was just spotting which drove me crazy. Sometimes I wouldn’t even bleed for months on end. I now have it again and I only spot every few weeks. It’ll get lesser overtime.

I had that the year then none for 2 till it expired. I gained a ton of weight on it though

Mine was ok at first. then I bled for a year straight. It was awful. Dr kept telling me to wait cause it could even out. Got it out and problem solved. Never again.

I ended up having mine removed becuase I bled for 9 months straight and couldn’t take it anymore

I haven’t had this issue but my doc said if it happened she could pooy me on pills for a month or two and it would regulate. I guess I’m one of the lucky ones with it, I haven’t had a period yet or any other side effects.

I have had mine for over a year. At first I wasn’t getting my period at all. Than I would get it every other month for 2-3 weeks at a time. My doctor has put me on the pill with it for three months than go without for a month and see if that fixes it. So far I have been on the pill for a month (not taking inactive pills) and I have had a three day period. First day was light light. Second was pretty heavy and than light and gone

I have the same problem w/ my Nexplanon, it’s frustrating. I went to Dr in Dec & she put me on the pill (while leaving in nexplanon) for 1 month to even out the hormones. It regulated for 2 months. Then the irregularity picked back up again shortly after. Not sure how many months they can combo the BC’s, but the pill was a temporary fix for me.

I lost 120lbs and had black out episodes with 3 week periods on Nexplanon. Never Again :upside_down_face:

I bled for a year straight before I decided enough is enough and my body just doesn’t like it

I absolutely hated the nexplanon. I literally bled for 2 years… it was absolutely horrid. Now I’m on the nuva ring and I love it!

I got mine removed 8 years ago, caused me to develop extreme anxiety, and depression. Was on period for 2 months straight, losing weight everyday. Found out it had migrated and inch over from where it was implanted and broke in half releasing more hormones than it was supposed to. Hope you find a solution, but I’ll never get anything like it ever again in my lifetime.

I had it in for three years never really had a problem. I did notice my periods were a bit heavier than usual but that was the only difference I noticed.

Get a rx for progesterone

The two years I had it my period was never normal. The first six months no period at all followed by like two months of straight bleeding. I went to the Dr and they put me on the pill for a month to get things normal. They never got normal but I did get mentally a little better after the pill. Before the pill I was not sleeping, I was having crazy relentless thoughts, just going mad and it got a little better after the pill but my period was still crazy. I also had pms symptoms constantly whether I had my period or not.

I bleed for 3 months after getting mine so my doctor put me on the pill also to regulate it, now I can skip my period when I like. I did gain weight to and it’s extremely hard to get rid of it but I don’t exactly eat healthy.

Everyone reacts to birth control different. Some people will have bad side effects. Personally I love it. I’m on my second one and they completely stopped my period. This is something you need to discuss with your doctor. Including switching to a different kind of birth control.

Best option is the patch or the nuvaring!

I have used Nexplanon since 2010 amd have had no problem. Reading all these comments I guess I am one of the lucky ones. It regulated my period just fine. I went from having my period for 3weeks straight to having it 3 days and it stopped. Still use it today

Yeah it messed mine up for a few years, the periods were awful, painful and unpredictable. I always felt like crap and bled A LOT.

I had implanon (which was the first version of nexplanon and that was AMAZING. then the 3 years passed and I had to get nexplanon. My periods were all over the place and I gained so much weight. I eventually just gave up and had it removed and went without birth control.

I had the nexplanon and the way my dr explained it is that some women react differently. Some bleed constantly, some not at all, but for me I had really irregular periods (for the first time in my entire life). My cycles were anywhere between 12 and 60 days, but when we decided to try for a second baby and got it removed they immediately went back to regular 28 day cycles. I have friends that loved it, friends that hated it, you just have to decide if these side effects are what you want to deal with. If not, talk to your dr about getting it removed and using another contraceptive.

I was having the same issue as you with really bad cramps and heavy bleeding and I also had really bad headaches from the implant. I went to clinic and nurse told me she doesn’t recommend I remove the implant. She put me on the pill to regulate my cycles and pain killers to help with the headaches. Still wanting to take it out though because the headaches are getting worse and worse.

I just got mine out a few days ago it took me close to a year for my periods to regulate this go around with the nexplanon. The first time it only took maybe 3 months. I couldn’t take the extreme mood swings anymore. I was constantly angry and I gained nearly 25 pounds.

I had mine in for 2 years and I had the same issue. I had it removed early and it was the best decision I ever made. I highly recommend an IUD or the pill.

I have had 3, first one had all these symptoms plus more the whole 3 years, had it removed and got another to replace, realised how horrible it made my life so got it removed and went on the pill but ended up pregnant with my son. After I had him I got another one and kept it the full 3 year again with all the same horrible symptoms once it was removed I totally changed for the better and will never get another one

For me it never got better. The doctor’s would tell me to give it time and it would lighten up but it never did. I did the whole 3 years on that things and bled majority of the time. Only relief for me was getting it taken out.

I had 1 period a year for the 8 years I had Implanon and Nexplanon. I don’t think the doctor can do anything for how your body reacts to it. The best thing is to discuss it with your doctor, probably get it removed, and try a different kind of birth control. Your doctor can probably recommend a specific birth control that may be more likely to regulate or reduce your periods. However, everyone reacts differently so it’s hard to know until you actually start a birth control method.

When I had it it stopped my periods. Then I started to bleed every other week. Not horribly though. I also had HORRIBLE mood swings. I’d cry over the stupidest things and get mad SO easily. I tried the pill along with it like my doctor suggested but it didn’t work. Then after around a year, I couldn’t take it anymore and had it removed.

I had the same issue. I ended up just getting mine taken out and went on the patch instead