Son wakes up screaming that his feet are hot, what is going on?

My 5 year old son comes to my bed every morning usually. He comes to our bed and falls right back to sleep. For the past week or so he wakes up screaming that his feet are hot. They are not hot to the touch and I’m not sure what to do. He wakes up kicking his feet and has my husband turn the fan on and then all is well after a few minutes. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I’m not sure what to do or how to help or if this is something to be worried about.
77 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Son wakes up screaming that his feet are hot, what is going on? - Mamas Uncut

Grierson-Gopalan syndrome

1 Like

Peripheral neuropathy can also be caused by extended periods of being sedentary (such as sitting in a wheelchair or lying in bed), which puts pressure on nerves. Children with peripheral neuropathy develop pain, burning or tingling in the area where the nerves are affected. This is typically in the hands and/or feet.

3 Likes

Restless leg syndrome? Maybe a potassium low level or magnesium

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?q=grierson-gopalan+syndrome&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Maybe?

Seek your boys pediatrician. Facebook isn’t going to give you the proper answers. WE ARE NOT DOCTORS!

22 Likes

Talk to his pediatrician. It could be a number of things and were not drs

3 Likes

Could be athletes foot. That’s how I would describe that it makes me feel when I had it.

1 Like

Are the ever red? Do they feel tight to him? Do they ever look swallowen

Alot of people’s feet get hot or burning sensation. Could be nerves could be anything. Get him checked

Are his feet going to sleep

1 Like

Are his feet asleep?

3 Likes

Pins and needles? My 4 year old get it sometimes and he cries in pain

2 Likes

Definitely talk to the pediatrician sounds a lot like a neuropathy which can have a lot of different causes but he needs a proper diagnosis.

1 Like

Take him in to his doctor. I’m 27 years old and have been dealing with hot feet for 15 years. Some days are worse than others. I make sure not to sleep with covers on my feet. A fan has to be going. And if it’s really bad- l wrap my feet in a cold, damp paper towel. Even though my feet aren’t hot or red…
Went to a foot doctor and it wasn’t neuropathy. But those are some things you can do until he goes in.

Pediatrician! You said a week and still on fire!

1 Like

Call the Doctor instead of askin us.

4 Likes

Have him tested for diabetes ! Neuropathy !

5 Likes

I would say growing pains, my grandson had them

1 Like

Praying he gets to feeling better

Could be nerve problems or he may have injured his feet somewhere. Did you ask him why he feels like that? My daughter used to dream she’s walking on lava so she kicks & screams in her sleep. Too many factors. Start with asking your son and make him explain in simple terms then start from there.

Where do you buy his shoes, and socks. Could be an allergic reaction…especially to black or red shoes and socks. Wash his feet really well with a color, and perfume free soap, Dove is the best. Get all white cotton socks. Have you ever noticed an odor?

He might just miss you in the middle of the night

I have Raynaud’s and this happens to me at night. Might not be that but I would definitely see a doctor as it’s not a normal occurring thing for anyone

1 Like

have you had his sugar checked? it how neurophaty does my feet at night. it’s just a thought.

2 Likes

You might consider this. A GREAT website

This is a pediatrician question- not a Facebook question :heart:

3 Likes

Have him checked for autoimmune disorders such as thyroid disease

Sounds like growing pains.

1 Like

My hands and feet feel hot if they fall asleep, pins and needles can feel like a burning sensation but I would ask your pediatrician

I like my feet out of the covers in the summer. Let him kick them out.

Honestly, being a diabetic myself, it sounds like nerve pain. I get a burning sensation in my feet and my Dr said it was nerve pain. Follow up with his pediatrician and get him tested for diabetes.

1 Like

Definitely a poltergeist

2 Likes

Hand foot and mouth?

Go to the doctor and check for auto immune diseases or neuropathy.

1 Like

I get this really bad in feet , face and ears. My ears actually turn purple. They actually feel like they are burning my daughter is now been investingted for this. My photos are in this link. Read it she if it sound familiar. Erythromelalgia

Need to take him to his doctor to be on the safe side

I remember feeling like my feet and calves were on fire (or what I imagined being on fire would feel like as a kid) when I was having growing pains. I’d be so miserable :weary:
Could also be that his feet are asleep and it’s the pins and needles sensation? Or I believe there’s actually a syndrome called burning feet syndrome. Hope you can find an answer and he gets better soon :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Broo I get this I never knew what it was never told my doctor about it but I just wet my feet with cold water in the tub , if I don’t I get soooooo freaking anxious and like feel like I need to run

1 Like

Maybe his feet just get too hot! That’s what it sounds like. Especially if he’s ok after turning the fan on. If he’s sleeping with both of you, it probably gets hot, especially under blankets with other people. If they aren’t red, swollen, itchy, probably just too hot. It is summer still. Some people just get too hot in general at night. Doesn’t mean it’s anything medical. But if you’re worried, call his doctor.

Does he have sores or blisters on his feet, would def have him checked by pediatrician, while everyone here has good advice/suggestions, we are not doctors :two_hearts:

3 Likes

neuropathy. take him to a neurologist.

2 Likes

It may be nerves, honestly. Talk to his doctor about it and see what s/he says

Mine do this when I’m getting sick - my head doesn’t register a fever but when the palms of my hands and my feet feel like this within days I’m usually sick with a cold or flu but as others have said check with his medical dr.

Hi nurse here. Definitely sounds like neuropathy. Pain is usually described as sharp, tingling or burning sensation. Majority of the time it’s diabetes related, but can just have neuropathy by itself. Sometimes it’s caused by constricted blood vessels so the blood doesn’t circulate through that body part well. Definitely worth getting checked out by a dr.

14 Likes

You should ask his doctor, not Facebook.

1 Like

My childhood friend would experience this quite often. I remember her mom putting cold wash clothes on her feet, the fan or filling the tub up with cold water for her to put in feet in…

Mine get like this and itchy when my allergies act up

1 Like

Do you think maybe his feet might be falling asleep? I remember that as a kid and I didn’t like it at all.

2 Likes

Restless leg syndrome. My son did the same thing.

4 Likes

Definitely go to the doctor, I had this happen a lot when I was a kid but I never got it diagnosed or anything because I was scared to tell my mom I was up in the middle of the night, I’d find something to help me and try to go back to bed😩

1 Like

Ask him when this happens if when he stands up does it feel prickly on the bottom of his feet? Definitely take him to the doctor and check for diabetes.

1 Like

Neuropathy. Have it looked at!

2 Likes

Keep a fan in his room, and get him checked for any medical issues!

Take him to the doc.

1 Like

Sounds like his feet are asleep.

My type 1 diabetic son gets really hot tingly feet. Be safe and check his sugar mama.

3 Likes

My feet get hot and it’s frustrating. I just take off my socks or remove the blanket. My feet are the first sign that I’m having a hot flash.

Take him to the damn doctor. Sheesh.

1 Like

Take him to a dr,
Could be nerve problem n feet.??

1 Like

Call a doctor don’t ask on here

Does he remember this in the morning? If not, it could be night terrors.

Neuropathy is terrible! Very painful- I can’t sleep at night because of it!

I have this issues from neuropathy from a piched nerve. If its a repeated issue might wanna talk to his doctors

I had the same thing.
I would put my feet in the bathtub and put lotion on them and go back to sleep.

My daughter has said her feet are hot since she was little, she hates socks and shoes and can’t keep them under the blanket… lol…its always when she’s tired or sleepy…she’s fine…just has always said this…her outlet for needing to be cool to sleep … I have asked her Dr about it and there’s nothing wrong with her. She is 7 and has said this since she was 2. I’m also a pediatric nurse. Go with your mama gut though, if you think something is wrong definitely get it checked out. :blush:

1 Like

Possibly nerve damage or restless leg syndrome I myself have really bad nerve damage and my hips all the way down into my feet and when my nerves start hurting really bad my body that is affected by it will burn and feels like it’s on fire so while it might not necessarily be hot it’s probably burning but with him being so young he probably identifies it as being hot

You need to contact a Dr something is wrong don’t come to fb and ask we can’t tell you why he’s doing that and what’s wrong.

1 Like

Sounds like nerves could be a few different things I would start with a chiropractor if there are other signs along with it like constantly thirsty check his sugars but boy do a lot of reckless things at all ages chiropractors are amazing

Take him to the doctor

I had this same issue as a child. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 13 years old. Even still to this day, my feet get hot when my sugar is too high. Take him to the doctor to get checked!

6 Likes

Pins and needles aka his feet have gone to sleep

It could be night terrors if it’s not physical I’d still have a dr check it out to be safe tho

1 Like

When a mom comes to Facebook to ask other moms for advice - it doesn’t mean they won’t go to a doctor, it means they are seeing if other moms have experienced something similar.

The snarky comments aren’t really needed. It’s so childish really.

I took my daughter to the doctor for something and asked advice in a mom’s group- mom’s group caught something the doctor missed. Was grateful for it. Collective experience is a wonderful resource.

Asking for feedback from a group isn’t a replacement - it can be in addition to as well.

Think before commenting- don’t always need to be the snarky one :grin:

51 Likes

I have nerve damage in my left foot and my foot does this !Make sure it’s not a side affect of a medicine …keeps up time for the pediatrician !

2 Likes

Have him tested for diabetes

2 Likes

First thing I’m thinking is neuropathy. I would get him screened for type 1 diabetes

8 Likes

Are his feet all wrapped up in the blankets or socks or something? Maybe it could be something simple as his feet are really just too hot and he doesn’t like it. I can’t stand when my feet get too hot and have to take my shoes off to get air to them or I get anxious

2 Likes

Not a Facebook question… deff a doctor question and appointment!

3 Likes

My hand does this because of nerve damage it’s really painful

1 Like

Maybe growing pains if he’s feet are growing. I know when my son has a fever he’s feet are hot to the touch.

1 Like

Maybe his feet are falling asleep

1 Like

Could be neurological, take him to the doctor.

1 Like

Sounds like a sensory issue or temp regulation issue

Maybe his feet are falling asleep and he doesn’t know how to explain it… Take him to the doctor…

1 Like

There is a condition, called burning feet syndrome but i have no idea if thats what he has, or if kids get it. Cleaning and rubbing lotion on them may help.

Common sign of kidney failure, diabetes, and hypertension.
Consult a doctor, not Facebook.

3 Likes

I’m literally going through the same issue with myself right now. My feet are always HOT. Not sweating just Hot like fire with or without socks. And they and constantly hurting and going numb. Idk what it is… I was told it could be diabetes. I’ll be making an appointment soon. It’s been going on for a few months nows for me. Hope you get answers!

1 Like

Please have him screened for diabetes

1 Like

My son has this. It’s a form of fibromyalgia. He needs to see a nerve dr

If he says his feet are hit and they look red. Put them under the water faucet on cold

I would take him to the doctor could be neurological

1 Like

Did he take a bad fall?

Could it be a fungal infection ?? (Just a thought!)

Sounds like someone just needs some mommy time… But if you think its somthing then call your pediatrician and ask, they can give real insight. But in my non doctor opinion… Just push over turn the fan on an let him sleep go about bussniess same as usual… Put him to bed the same ect.

Please just call your doctor ! I would have called the very next morning. That’s not a question!

Diabetes, please take him to a doctor.

Neuropathy. Call the Doctor. Can be cured if caught early