Suggestions for my three year old?

My 3 year old can count, write, read words with up to 4 letters, knows colors, shapes, vegetable/fruits , animals and their habitats. She can also do basic chores.

She loves learning but I’m out of ideas. I don’t know what I could teach more. Any suggestions?

95 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Suggestions for my three year old? - Mamas Uncut

Get a map and go over the the states with her. That’s awesome she’s so smart and has a desire to learn. :heartpulse:

1 Like

I’d say get the workbooks for preschool and kindergarten and move forward around those pages. Most dollar stores have them.

2 Likes

Teach her to draw, that’s a lifelong process and should keep her busy for hours

2 Likes

Teach her foraging, basic cooking.

Cut my daughter struggled with that !! That is great all those things very smart love it :blush:

Teach a second language.

2 Likes

Music and lots of play. Children this age learn most through play, you will never regret it.

1 Like

Sight words and addition/subtraction within 10

5 Likes

Emotions and coping skills

1 Like

Spell words. Some kids can read but if you ask to spell, they can’t. Harder words that is

Play is the best learning at that age.

2 Likes

Teach her 5 lettered numbers . :man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Just expand on her current knowledge. Practice it all to further her understanding. Because I can almost guarantee she may be able to do these things but the concepts won’t be secure.

1 Like

Start getting the preschool workbooks to further her knowledge in all those areas.

Piano lessons, dance class

2 Likes

Planting, growing, propagating, worm farm, composting, great skills to learn and use, incorporates language, math, horticulture, botany, responsibility, weather, nature…lifelong interest and skills.

5 Likes

Do you have an ollies? They have some really good workbooks for all grades.

Art, music, nature, and most important… lots of play.

This is also prime time to learn another language. The younger they start the easier it is.

2 Likes

Definitely go for a second language. They’re like sponges with languages at this age!

1 Like

She’s a sponge, teach everything. Another language, to cook, bake, play with legos, art. They even have YouTube videos that teach children how to draw. Sing, play an instrument, dance classes. Read every single day. Immerse her in everything. Take her to the zoo, museums, the park. Even a simple walk around the neighborhood is a learning experience. Teach her about plants, trees, sun and water and how things grow. Start a garden. There’s so much to learn

4 Likes

Letter sounds, sight world, capital letters vs lowercase.

Definitely get her started on other languages as well as the kindergarten work books. I wouldn’t mess with the preschool ones if she knows all that already!

Music… teach how to read it, play classical… teach how to play instruments, piano, guitar, violin, cello, drums , flute, there’s so many to choose from. Teach social skills… play, share and except everyone. Start showing her how to bake , cook.

Try something like this! Spelling and still playing!

3 Likes

Write her name properly

I’m sure you have but manners respect for the elderly to appreciate what she has

1 Like

There are workbooks targeted for specific age groups that you can pick up for inspiration. My daughter-in-law buys them for my granddaughters. Some contain simple mazes and puzzles that will stimulate her. Worth looking into.

Days of the week. Calendar. Time. Dance class. Social skills. Taking turns. Board games. Music. Poetry art.

3 Likes

Start on physical activities, stretching, jumping rope, balance, yoga,

2 Likes

Get her started on math

2 Likes

Teach her God’s love & salvation story!!
Grace to you & family!!!

2 Likes

Sign language for sure

3 Likes

Let her play play play. Open ended maniupulatives are fantastic for this age.

My youngest son was obsessed with math at that age, you can start with simple addition.

Mindfulness, the importance of manners and consent, self care for her heart. Emotions. Healthy ways to deal with emotions

4 Likes

Send her out to get a job

4 Likes

There are tons of online learning sites… IXL and iready are two that I use as a teacher.

Teach her to read. Basic math.

Patterns, sorting, how a clock works.

Colour by numbers books. Jigsaws

Things that go together grouping and matching

1 Like

Teach her how to count money etc. Get her involved with the bills in the house (obviously not to pay) :joy: but to her it would be a riddle figuring out what money to put where.

Basic math, teach her how to draw show her something and see if she can copy it just by looking at it and draw it, take her outside and teach her about plants and the weather, show her the mechanics of a car how to change oil how to do minor maintenance never too early to start on that I say

Follow her interests and go more in depth in those areas

My son is 5 and was at that level. Now he knows multiplication, division, square roots, and cube roots. He reads and writes with ease. Numberblocks is a great show to get them into and get them the matching toy blocks. My father is a scientist and did experiments with him this past weekend with acids and bases, then with pure lithium and sodium and water to show reactive traits. Just keep showing everything around you as you go

1 Like

Writing and basic adding and subtracting

Also, leasons for an instrument or gymnastics, dance etc…

1 Like

Definitely learning the time

And let her play . science experiments (Science Experiments in the Kitchen). Basic toys for the age. Especially things that allow imagination.
Get her in small groups for socialization. Draw. Crafts paint. Motor skills and imagination
Let her be a kid

1 Like

Sign language or another language

6 Likes

Go for walks, teach her the names of all the flora and fauna.

1 Like

Another language for sure

1 Like

If she doesn’t know yet, teach her yours, her dads and her full name and how to spell them

2 Likes

Basic writing skills

Give her a bigger vocabulary. Give her bigger words. Look up science experiments you can do with little kids at home etc.

1 Like

Is she in pre school

A second language, 5 letter words, music, karate anything that can help her future.

Bigger words
Bigger numbers

I’ve taught mine in Spanish and Hindi. Other languages are a plus.

Talk to her, not as if she’s a kid but as an adult and if she needs more of an explanation give her one that would be best fitted for her age and maybe put labels on everything and help her with the words

Get her reading books in a Reading Scheme, ideally one that’s based on frequency of words. You can teach reading skills such as how to work out unfamiliar words (familiar letters, making sense, sounding out) which will open up so much to them. It’s also been shown that this provides a huge academic advantage which is rarely caught up on. It really isn’t too early.

My 3yo got into Pre-k and she also knew a lot except the Alphabet in lowercase which I found funny cause she can also spell out her name so I suggest the lowercase alphabet

Teach address and both parents (main caregivers) full names and phone numbers, that would be really great to know in case of an accident

8 Likes

Always room for improvement in all of those skills, teach her to count higher, teach her bigger words, practice more reading etc. Whenever my 2 year old gets to where I want her I keep trying to surpass that level lol.

1 Like

Numbers by sight and items (counting bears or cereal pieces) letters by sound/sight.

Time. How to read and say it properly.

Phonics and a second language

Grab a kindergarten or 1st grade work book from like Walmart.

1 Like

Math bqsic stuff 1+1 bigger words more reading writing like how to write her name

1 Like

American Sign Language?

2 Likes

Dinosaurs… moon phases… addition

1 Like

How about teaching her to be a child, imagination is a key tool to development, play games like catch or kicking a ball cause you doing more harm than good.

6 Likes

Simple math, ASL, second language, music, cooking, is this a serious question… So many possibilities

I did math…adding subtract multiply. I had my son spelling everything… I spelled whole paragraphs and had his pick words he knew. Helped with laundry. Making grocery list. Started teaching him money. I started working his curious mind since he was just under two…he asked why about everything. He started 4k an teacher said there was nothing hr could teach him because he was at a kindergarten almost 1st grade level. In kindergarten to keep him busy he was getting 1st 2nd grade work. In 1st he was virtual-pandemic so there were no limits. 2nd grade he is back in class and he learning at 4th and 5th grade level. There is no limit to what u can teach. Their minds are sucking up everything.I don’t do cartoon. I put on discovery, nature, anything to learn.

She is off to a great start. It’s important to work on sharing, taking turns, using words to express emotions, etc… advanced children can tend to become frustrated with their peers because they are on a different level. They tend to want to hang with adults/older kids. So having peers to interact with can help. The other learning suggestions are fantastic. Also remember to praise effort and hard work because these kids tend to hear “you’re so smart” so often that when something is difficult or can’t be achieved quickly they will shy away or be defiant.

1 Like

Social skills, like waiting in line , inside voice time and out side voice time , sitting down at table and eatings , things that will help with kindergarten not just school work but function.

1 Like

Herb garden, how crystal grows, layers of the earth and what plants need to grow. Space- planets, stars. What would she put on her very own planet. Also a good age to begin teaching about recycling , planting trees

Teach them the Bible to become great people.

Keep working on reading. Simple math is good. I also agree with gardening.

Omg, he’s 3 for goodness sake. You are expecting too much too soon. Give him time, he will learn it in his on time. Keep working with him.
And quit worrying!!!

3 Likes

My oldest was the same way. He was reading books meant for 1-2 grade before his 4th birthday. In my expirence it didn’t turn out good. Once he got in school he became a target of teachers & kids. He’s 21 & still remembers his kindergarten teacher for her cruelty. She’d often make comments like “you don’t belong here”, “you shouldn’t know that”. She’s tell me he’s a disruption when in reality he was quiet & reserved. Her version of “disruption” was him answering questions, asking what he could do expecting to be challenged etc. If another kid did something wrong she’ll tell at my son (I was there for a few of these) telling him hes so smart he should’ve stopped the kid. His eagerness to learn stopped in kindergarten. He stopped showing how smart he was, withdrew socially, was self harming in highschool. If I could go back I never would’ve taught him anything before school.

2 Likes

Song and dance? Different language? Teaching kids about emotions is great, baking?, set up treasure hunts or lists of things to find in the house and outside, like find a green leaf, that kind of thing?

2 Likes

Teach her life skills. Dishes. Chores. Cleaning. Cooking. My six year old can scramble eggs. Wash his own laundry. Etc.

My oldest is 21 and was reading doctor suess at age four. Emphasis reading.

Also start teaching languages. Spanish etc. Duolingo is a great language app.

Teach her about her culture, heritage or about our countries native American.

4 Likes

I mean I wouldn’t even stress about it too much. She knows tons, let her play and have fun. If she really wants something else to learn then teach her some basic math and def social skills.

2 Likes

Just let her go on her own. She will figure it out

2 Likes

It sound like she’s doing great and past what she should know at her current age, I say just practice what she knows. We are playing around with other languages and my daughter seems to like that very much

1 Like

Social skills, school skills and imagination. She can know multiplication and reading chapter books by kindergarten but if she doesn’t know how to play, use her imagination, stand in line, share and socialize she will have a hard time. Honestly might have a hard time anyway since she will probably be bored in kindergarten. But if she doesn’t know basic child things she’s going to hate school because 1. Its boring since she already knows everything and for 2. She will be getting in trouble for basic things like talking out of turn, getting out of line, not sharing and being unintentionally mean to other kids

9 Likes

Sign language, money basics, time…

5 Likes

Sounds like she’s doing fine.,what I did was always counting around my kids… what you hear …and see is what you learn…one, two, buckle my shoe. Three four, shut the door, five six, pick up sticks…seven eight…I’m feeling great !!! Nine ten…let’s do it again !!!:blush: Make it a game…

1 Like

Address , phone number

7 Likes

I was the same way at 3.I was reading books and wanted to read more.I’m still like this.Maybe help in the kitchen with small task,helping you cook a little bit.

1 Like

Your name and her address.phone #

3 Likes

I agree with address, phone number, parents names. My son is 5 and I regret we didn’t teach him earlier. Lol I also agree with social skills. My son doesn’t have this problem but I see it my niece and fiancés nephew. Some kids are so shy and won’t make that first connection. When my son was 3/4, he was able to hold a conversation with adults. Social skills are my pick too

1 Like

Social skills, encourage social emotional development

4 Likes

Fine motor, social and emotional skills, reading

Continue with reading. But focus on her social and emotional competence. Sharing, turn taking, waiting- able to cope if someone doesn’t want to play with her, occupy herself, independent in the playground, resilient.
This is pretty typical learning and development for 3-4 year olds. I’ve been teaching that age for around 19 years now

4 Likes

Learning with knowing your learning can be fun for kids. I always included mine in the kitchen. Helping cook and bake. Counting how many cups of flour. Pouring and mixing. It teaches them how to cook and clean up their mess bu also measuring and counting.

Just doing things with them. Coloring, puzzles, hanging out, playing games and cards, walks with I spy…

1 Like

Give her a car next, I’m sure she will master it!!! Licensed at 3!!

4 Likes

Time 4 learning, YouTube khan academy grade 1