Thoughts on having a VBAC?

My first I had C-section due to him being breech and just gave birth vaginally in March with my second. The pros is the healing definitely isn’t quite as long although I tell me it’s a different discomfort at least for me because I tore. Cons your uterus where it was cut once before has a 95% chance of tearing open where it was once cut before. The epidural is definitely different from the spinal block.
This is all of course my experience and what my doctors have told me. I had a healthy 2nd baby vaginally and I am trying to do my 3rd the same as well. Good luck mama!

I did it and it was incredible! I had a C-section with my first (breech) followed by a home water birth with my second.

My sister did and her baby weighed 9lbs8ozs and was 23in long

I’ve had two VBAC’s. Both were much better recovery than the c-section and I had no major issues.

1 Like

I had a Vbac and it was the best decision I made. Quick delivery and postpartum with no complications

1 Like

I delivered my daughter 29 years ago, with no drugs, after having a c section a few years before. No problems at all.

I just had a VBAC july 5th i had 2 csections before with my first 2 and this time i had a VBAC and i didnt have any issues really… It was different but definitely doable and i did it All-natural! Good luck momma u got this! :smiley:

I have had 3 csections, 1st was a emergency csection, second was scheduled, third was meant to be scheduled but my waters broke a week early so was rescheduled the day my water broke.

After my first csection - having my second I was actually petrified of having vaginal birth - they mentioned vbac but I was then transferred to another hospital they ended up scheduling me for a csection.

Now I wish I had gone for a vbac only cos of scar tissue. An if ur wanting a bigger family then try vbac.

I have no personal experience, but I’m very familiar with birthing issues. My granddaughter was born at home. I delivered my children without so much as an IV. I’ve read dozens of books on birthing. There is NO risk for VBAC, but birthing in a hospital is extremely risky, depending on the hospitals where you live. In NYC, five of my daughter’s friends were forced into C-sections for absolutely no reason. If it’s too late for a birthing center, or there isn’t one near you, make sure you know the C-section rate of your OB and don’t let anyone deliver you who doesn’t say upfront that they have no problem with VBAC.

2 Likes

Im fue the end of October and attempting a VBAC. My midwife and her coworkers are very VBAC friendly but my hospital isnt because they dont always have an anesthesiologist on staff. They are very supportive. So make sure you have members of your team that are very supportive of your choices. My first was a csection and this is my 2nd child.

I had a vbac last June, 2.5 years after my c section and it was a 180 degree difference!
With my first the hospital had overdosed me on magnesium and I was out of it for 24 hours and unable to progress at all so they ended up doing a csection. My recovery was pretty rough too.
With my second, I just had an epidural and I could still actually move my legs, I only spent 20 minutes pushing, and I got to walk to my next room just 2 hours after she was born!!! I even told my husband I was ready to do it all again on the way home :joy: 10/10 would do it again :joy::joy:

I had a successful vbac best decision i made. I do not regret it one bit. My recovery was easier & quicker as well.

My last two were vbacs and highly recommend it if your dr clears you!

Ive had 3 c sections but 2 ppl i know have lost their babies trying to have a normal birth after c section…hope it works for you…good luck

Yes, my first was C-S then 2 natural and last Another C-S

I have had 6 children
C-section
C-section
All natural vbac
C-section
C-section
C-section

For me the vaginal delivery and recover were the absolute worst

My 1st was a c section due to my son being litterally folded in half and stuck under my hip. I had 3 vbacs after that. My first was 18 months after the c section so I was given an epidural to control my labor so I didn’t rupture my uterus. The last 2 were natural no meds healing time is so much better and easier with vaginal birth. I was up moving around with ease on days vs the weeks after the c section.

I had 2 natural and then a c section and a VBAC. it was easy and fast and recovery was so much better than c section. Good luck

Find what’s right for you. I had 3 vaginal. Last one came fast with zero meds, best recovery ever. I had the baby, walked to the potty. It was just wonderful to have full control over my body.
No meds was not planned. It just happened.

1 Like

Also make sure your preferred hospital allows it. My OBGYN office warned anyone wanting VBAC that they would need to deliver at another hospital because the closest did not allow it.

My first was natural. Second was emergency c section. I 10/10 recommend natural. I had the epidural when I had my son vaginally but two hours later I was able to walk around, get myself dressed, etc. and the recovery time was so easy. Little to no pain afterwards. C section it took me about two weeks before I wasn’t in god awful pain. Then another two weeks to be completely pain free. I think every woman should get to experience vaginal birth at least once. I was hoping I got to with my second one.

When I was consulting my doctor, she said it depended on how much pain you get in your csection scar when pregnant and when your body is readying for birth and you go into labour. If you get burning, pain or tearing feelings you have to go for emergency c section. So as long as you know you can’t completely rule out another csection and you should prepare for both.

I had my daughter nearly 7 years ago by c section and had my son August 2020 VBAC

I couldn’t wait to be able to push I kept telling them I didn’t want another c section

I think the only negative I really remember is your scar rupturing but that was such a low percent or I would of been so scared and not want vbac it’s such a low low possibility

I literally feel so glad and happy been able to push cause I’ve been able to experience both and I had a bad experience with my c section.

It’s very much possible :heartpulse: oh and I had no issues either xx

My first was a c-section and my daughter was a surprise…they said i could have her normal even tho i was scared as they are only 13 months apart…i had her normal with no issues…infact she was the only one out of 4 i had normal and im grateful for that once off experience :slightly_smiling_face:

My first was a cesarean and my second and third were both vbacs.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum! Thoughts on having a VBAC? - Mamas Uncut

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum! Thoughts on having a VBAC? - Mamas Uncut

I had my first child in 1987 and my second vbac child five years later. Natural was 100 times better than cesarean. The way to go if you are able to do so safely for you and baby. Much less pain and complications, at least for me. And home the next day :purple_heart:

I was too afraid something would go wrong. Ive had 3 c sections and I kind of regret not trying for a VBAC

1 Like

Had an emergency c-section in 2019, had a vbac in March. Pros are sometimes quicker birth and be able to bounce back quicker than a c-section. Cons are you could tear or have to do another c-section. But remember it is different for everyone. You can always try for a vbac and then go into a c-section if necessary or needed to

I had an Emergency c section 9 weeks prem waters broke early and then developed sepsis in my womb really complicated c section in a rush but then I had another baby 17 months later totally naturally they warned me of the possibilities in some woman of the scar tearing open but it was absolutely fine no problems at all

I’ve had 3 VBAC. I refused a c section after the first one. Consult your doc. Remember you can always change your mind. My doc clearly explained why —some docs won’t (it’s sheer time/ and requirements for them while a patient is laboring), the reason for the initial c section is a factor as well. Then the risk (uterine rupture .5-2%) there’s actually no risk to baby as much as to mamma. My hospital was equipped for NICU and my doc said she could have the baby out in 30 seconds, if need be. I was very comfortable with the pros and cons.

Baby 2: epidural and was sunny side up and had 2 full umbilical knots

Baby 3 was epidural and she came fast

Baby 4: no drugs and I had a little trouble after I delivered the placenta but she stopped the bleeding.

All babies were healthy

Talk with your doc, your partner and think about it. You have some time.

Good luck

4 Likes

Dumb question because I was under the impression that it depends on what state you live in if the doctors are willing to do it… is that true? Be nice. Nobody has to go after me.

No negatives for my VBAC, I was saline locked and had my birth plan. Delivered unmedicated and uncomplicated. Do your reaserch! ICAN is a great resource.

My experience was pure hell. I had a hernia removed and that happened in 2017
I had a emergency C-SECTION in 2014
I had a natural birth in September 2020
I was super scared that my son was going to tear my scar tissue. My c-section scar hurt tremendously bad, I couldn’t walk towards the end. It was so hurtful.
I made it.
I pray you and your new baby does well.

1 Like

I had a VBAC in the end of may (maybe 14 months after my first baby) and their was no negatives! :blush: Everything went perfectly fine and she was even two lbs bigger than my first. If you are able it is definitely worth the try for a new experience. For me it was like having my first all over again. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have 6 kids 2 c-sections 4 VBAC’s. My oldest was emergency c-section but I delivered my second VBAC 17 months later. I had 2 more vaginal births then c-section due to him being breach and another VBAC 11 months after. They did strongly encourage I get the epidural early on due to the deliveries bring so close together in case we needed to do emergency c-section but everything went great. Good luck !

My mom had me vaginally, my brother was a c section, and then she had 4 successful v bacs and then a final c section because she swelled shut when they put iodine on her for the catheter so my sister couldn’t come through. They just monitored her during labor like a hawk

I had a wonderful vbac last October 17 months after an emergency csection!!! Best decision I ever made!!!

I will say this…. Find a doctor that fully supports vbac. A doctor that’s says “you might be able to” or “we will play it by ear” or “it could happen” they are not as supportive as they pretend to be. I left my ongyn at 20 weeks pregnant when he told me to mentally prepare for another csection which I was wholeheartedly against. It floored me. He had no faith in me or my ability to birth my child naturally. Find some one who supports you and find a birthing doula!!! Do NOT let them induce you as this automatically increases the chances of a repeat Caesarian. The best decisions I ever made and I had a fantastic vaginal birth without any medicine and would do it a million times over. The recovery was so much better and quicker than the caesarean recovery.
Educate yourself. Do research. They will try to scare you with uterine rupture stories but it is less that 1% chance of uterine rupture.

10 Likes

My Dr told me no when I asked about it but my baby had other plans. He came early (34 wks) in the middle of the night. Had Vbac in the operating room. Both baby and me were just fine. Every birth is different though. Good luck :black_heart:

3 Likes

A lot of women do it. It’s actually pretty common. Any other underlying conditions will ultimately determine whether you need another c sec but the big issues lie in any scar tissue and core weakness you may have leftover from your last pregnancy. If you feel like you need these things looked at then get a referral for Physical Therapy. We can work on decreasing scar tissue as well as strengthening your core and pelvic floor strength to get you prepared for vaginal delivery. :two_hearts:

1 Like

I had my first baby via emergency csection. 4 years later, I chose to attempt a VBAC. Only complications - my baby swallowing meconium and I had a 4th degree tear due to 20ish minutes worth of pushing). My 3rd baby was born via scheduled csection because I became pregnant so quickly after my 2nd was born and they didn’t want to risk another 4th degree tear.

All of that to say, I’d rather do a VBAC with a 4th degree tear instead of a csection. Hands down. Both of my c-sections were so difficult to heal from.

3 Likes

I had a successful VBAC this past December.
Positives: MUCH faster healing process & being able to hold baby almost immediately. I had a very easy labor after epidural was placed.
Negatives: I HAD to get an epidural, in case emergency c-section was needed, which killed my plan for unmedicated birth. Also, can’t use regular induction methods due to increase risk of uterine rupture.

2 Likes

I wanted one so bad but we thought because I had big babies before that my last baby would be big but turns out he was my smallest and I could’ve definitely pushed him out :joy: but I did get my tubes tied so that was my plus side

My sister had 6 kids in the normal way after having her first by c-section. Don’t be afraid.

5 Likes

I had a csection with my first child, after that I had two successful VBACs! Labor was faster each time. Go for it! You have a better chance of no complications if you go into labor on your own as well. The biggest risk is your csection rupturing, but it’s a low chance and even lower if you go into labor naturally instead of being induced.

6 Likes

I had a perfectly fine vbac 4 years after csection, no problems whatsoever

It depends on why you had to have the csection the first time, and how far apart from first pregnancy to the second one. I didn’t have a choice in my second csection!

Had an emergency csection with my second child was induced with him as well! a year later had a Vbac with my third child went into labor naturally! No complications and honestly was the quickest pushes out of all my babies! Dr never even suggested a second csection! I would definitely say go for it let your body do it’s own thing! But everyone is different.

Nice to see so many vbac success stories. Scheduled second csections are super easy, too. Either way is fine if it suits you.

6 Likes

I have 4 kids my first born was born via C section I had a vbac with my second born c section with my third and another v bac with my fourth. Honestly I prefer vaginal birth its a much less painful recovery. I had no issues and no tearing. Oh and don’t let your doctor bully you into a c section my doctor was originally against the v bac I had to put my foot down in order to get my doctor on board. They also induced labor on all my children except my first born. So it depends on the doctor on whether or not they will induce.

Definitely depends on several factors. How long in between pregnancies and why you had the first c-section. My first was an emergency c-section after I was getting ready to be induced at 35 weeks and had severe pre-eclampsia. As they were about to induce they noticed my baby was in distress and my doctor didn’t want to wait and risk his life since his heart rate stopped fluctuating like it should. I got pregnant again 6 months later so no choice but another c-section which I had at 37 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. I had a choice with my third but since I had a miscarriage in between my 2nd and 3rd with only a total of 14 month gap (from when I delivered my 2nd, miscarriage, and then my 3rd) I decided it was best to opt for another c-section. It turned out to be my best pregnancy and probably could’ve done a vbac. I did have some preterm labor but I was only dilated 1cm at 39-1/2 weeks when I had my last c-section. Worked out too because I got my tubes tied while she was in there.

My doctor said I could do a vbac after 5 year and things should be fine. My son was 7 when I had my daughter. He decided on another C-section before I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and ended up taking her 3 weeks early. It ended up being a great decision because of all of the scar tissue I had. Side note: I’ve since switched doctors.

I had a C-section in May 2019 and had a VBAC in Feb 2021 there was no complications I was in a very long labour (25 hours) because I dilated very slow until I reached 6cm then it was 10 min and my beautiful baby girl was born and on my chest…
I would really recommend a VBAC with my first I didn’t even get to hold her they showed her to me and took her away, with the VBAC the immediately put her on my chest when she was out they cleaned her and cut her cord all on my chest… It was the most amazing feeling ever to know that we had that immediate bond…

The negative side is that there is a possibility that your uterus can tear open on the incision sight from your C-section and then you have to be rushed in for emergency surgery so they can close everything again…
So it’s a very big risk but believe me it’s so worth it…
Good luck on your decision just know whatever you choose it will be just as amazing because in the end you will get to hold your beautiful baby…

My sister tried but failed and had a belly birth instead! It’s always worth a shot as long as there are no medical reasons not to

1 Like

I had an emergency c section and had general anesthesia. I didn’t see my don being born and neither did my husband :tired_face:. I was going in for a planned c section with my daughter because she was breech. When I arrived they did an ultrasound and she flipped over. I was 4cm dilated so my doc just broke my water and I had a successful v bac. It was all around a better situation and the healing was a breeze. I highly recommend a v bac

I had a VBAC with my second child, and it went very well. Zero complications. But I also had her almost 3 years after my first child(cesarean). Everyone is different though.

I had my vbac in July last year :heart: supportive provider is a big deal, so I’m glad to hear your dr appears on board.

my first pregnancy was vaginal delivery, 2nd was a csection due to breech, 3rd was a planned vbac, and 4th I was actually planning a csection but she came early and fast so she was a vbac. its definitely a faster recovery and the healing process is alot better than csection if your doctors on board and you are comfortable with the decision definitely go for it :slight_smile:

My SIL had a VBAC with my niece in November. It was 2yrs after she’d had an emergency csect with my other niece. My sister had a vaginal birth, then csect, then went on to have 3 VBACs before having another csect for the youngest. Definitely possible.

My sister had a C-section with her first and VBAC with her other 3 and she prefers VBAC she said healing time was so much better after VBAC

I’ve had a hbac (homebirth after cesarean) , vbac and an hbac… my first was a homebirth transfer resting c section so I’ve always been a homebirth/natural birth mama. My first was very traumatizing.

I had 3 successful vbacs… I say go for it. The experience is worth it. 100%

I had 2 vaginal births then a c-section then a VBAC and I’m due next month doing another vaginal. There was nothing negative in my experience everything went as planned

I technically didnt have a “normal” birth I was induced and it was a successful VBAC :slightly_smiling_face: I had a 80% success rate

1 Like

Hope everything goes well I did just 7 week ago after c section 11 years ago it went fine for me

I had a c-section then a VBAC 17 years later. I am soo glad I was able to do it.

1 Like

I had one at 41.5 weeks with no epidural, and I’m so thankful I tried.

1 Like

1st was a c-section she was breach and 10 days past due. 6 successful vbacs after that one.

I had a VBAC after 1 c-section 19 months apart!

Join the group The VBAC Link Community
So much information and multiple success stories of women who also had VBACs!

My mother had 7 kids. #2 was c section. The next 5 were all VBAC. It’s totally possible

Five kids…third was emergency c section bc she got tangled in the cord at 9.5 cm. Two successful vbacs no issues following

I had a vbac 22 months after my section. Everything went fine.

To add… the doctors tried to scare me into another section, even telling me the baby would die… but the midwives said they do this often just to make their days easier.

I did! I was 26 months PP when I had my VBAC then I had another 22 months after that.

I tried to do that and was in labor 27 hours before ending up having a c- section anyway…its possible but risky.

I have! It was the easiest birth I’ve had honestly

I have a question and know the re is zero judgement. I’m purely looking forward education since I’m due in October.
Why a vbac? I had a c section with my first

Had three babies naturally before my csection. Had two babies naturally after my csection. No problems at all.

Tried but just didn’t work out.

Hoped to. But #2 was breech also. #3 finally was not breech but very few docs will do vba2c

My 1st was a C-section and I have had 5 vaginal births since. :black_heart:

Go for a VBAC! Cheering you on!

2 Likes

I had a VBAC, definitely cheering you on. It was an amazing experience for me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: best of luck hun!

Join VBAC Success stories group. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I have not had one myself but joined the group for positive vibes should we have a second child someday. :heart:

I had normal birth after C-section. Everything went fine. Normal birth was alot better.

I had a c section with my first and had three natural vbacs to follow :heart:

I had 3 successful VBACs no complications at all

Yes! Join ICAN International Cesarean Awareness Network pages!!

7 babies total. 5th was a c Section. Rest were unmedicated vaginal births. Just had my second VBAC at home 2 weeks ago. So much better than recovering from a c Section!

I’ve had two. No issues

I have done it. I had my 1st natural and then my twins by c section. Then my 4th was a repeat c section. My 5th and 6th I refused a c section. With my 5th they didn’t want to let me try a v bac but they did and it went great. Then I moved to a different state and with my 6th they straight said I had to have a c section. I refused. I labored are home and went to the hospital when I knew I was close to pushing. I was to far for a c section. She was delivered less than 30 minutes after I got there with 0 issues. It was this hospitals policy to not allow v bacs. Because you might end up in emergency surgery. They tried to scare me but I trusted my body. If I had another I would travel to the hospital an hour and a half away where they will support a v bac and head there as soon as labor starts or choose to be induced. I would never willingly have another c section unless it became absolutely necessary. The recovery is so much longer and more painful!

Not me…but my cousin. She had 1 natural. Her 2nd was a csection but he was almost 11lbs and she weighed like 100lbs super tiny… Shes had 4 natural births after w no.complications

It is better to have a Vbac than another C-section if it can be avoided. It’s hard on the body and multiple ones cause more damage. I hopefully will have a Vbac when I have my next child(she was breech so no way of a vaginal birth sadly). Find a doctor who is 100% on board otherwise ethey will push you for another c-section. The reason they try talk you into another one is by pushing you risk ripping open scar tissue(but if you properly waited and healed like supposed to, believe a year minimum for c-section) then you have a huge chance of never doing that. I say go for it if you want to. There is always emergency situations and teams ready to go if needed. It’s alot better on the body to have a Vbac than it is a c-section.

Ive heard of people having vaginal deliveries after csection. Ive only had natural births no csection but Ive heard it can be done.

Depending on your reasoning for the 1st one.

My daughter in law has had two children afte she had a c section , Both went fine and the second went very good tho baby weighted ove 9 pounds

Mine ended in emergency c-section, his heart rate dropped.

My sister just had a vbac. It was easy for her. No issues aside from tearing a little!

It depends on your reason for the C section …
The risks.are a rupture and it can be fatal … I know because mine ruptured… (not from attempting a vbac from twins ) but the reality is that it can and does happen
If you are likely to need another c-section why would you attempt a vbac ? If you had a c-section for reasons that are extremely unlikely to happen again then that’s an option.

Listen to your dr …they know the risks they’ve been there resussing babies and mothers, thyveen there pumping blood into a mother on the way to theatre … they’ve been there when either or both haven’t made it …
I would never purposely put myself or my baby at risk

I have a friend that had a VBAC like a champ with no complications. It’s absolutely possible.