Thoughts on owning a pitbull with kids?

Pitbull make great pets!! They’re very nurturing and protective. That’s why they’re are classified as the “nanny” dig breed

2 Likes

Jessica N Carlos Segarra

It’s not the breed it’s how you raise them! My mom has 6 kids and it was just her and us kids and we had several pit bulls, and chows growing up. They were very protective . Best dogs ever

2 Likes

It’s all about how YOU raise that dog. ANY dog can bite at any time. Fun fact…there’s more bites recorded from labs and chihuahuas than pits. I found a pit at 7 months old and she’s been one of the best dogs I’ve ever come across. Raise it right and it will also be a great dog! Probably will end up being a great protector for your child!

2 Likes

We have 2 pits and have had them around my daughter since she was born (she’s 8 months now) and we’ve never had an issue. Like everyone else is saying, it’s all about how you raise them. They’ve been nothing but good with the kids.

I would not. Not just pit bulls tho… Any large dog. They’re animals and they’re unpredictable, good owner or not… Rather Safe than sorry

Any dog can be dangerous. Its all in how the HUMAM trains and treats the dog.

1 Like

Danitscha Spencer-de Vlugt

Our pitbulls were just big babies. My mom had a pitbull when I was born and said when she brought me home that dog laid under my crib and when I would whimper or move she would go get my mom. When I was walking and would go outside she “herded” me back to the house. And when someone came to the house she didn’t know, they didn’t get out, if I was in the yard. I made 37 and this is the first time we have been without a pitbull. My first died of old age when I was in grade school, we replaced her with another and she died of old age, we rescued another one and he recently passed. They were all gentle. Big Babies. They were loyal and loved us as much as we loved them. Like any pet, raise them right and they will be family.

1 Like

By daughters best friend. I’ve worked as a vet tech for years and pit bulls had the best temperament. They also are predicable. Where as other breeds give no warning signs. If I were to be weary of any breed it would be German shepherds but with any breed it’s all in the training and if you get them young you know the dog a lot better. Getting a dog that is older you aren’t ever certain what type of owners they had before and that effects behavior.

Make sure you tribe the dog properly and you won’t have any problems :hugs:

2 Likes

Why do people still ask these questions. 🤦

5 Likes

We have a 90lbs bully and he sleeps with the oldest 2 kids. He follows the baby around and if she starts crying he’s right there to see what’s wrong. Now that she’s crawling she tries petting him and he’s so gentle with her. If she’s eating or in her Walker he is close by so he can eat whatever she throws on the ground. He’s one of the best dogs we’ve had. Just an oversized lap dog.

I adopted a 2 year old pit bull from the pound and she’s honestly been the best dog in the world. She’s soooo good with all the kids and she’s just a big baby.

I’m definitely for it. Especially because the dog is a pup.

Our pitbull is great with our kids since the day they were born, my 5 year old and jersey are inseparable my son has to lay with the dog.

What’s wrong with pitbulls? Minus the false, misleading information people spread about them?:yum:

6 Likes

We have a pitbull and she has grown up with our girls. She is very nurturing and protective over the kids. They are the best dogs just get a bad rap unfortunately

1 Like

Sweetest, cuddliest dogs ever. They are amazing dogs… so long as they are raised right, socialized and trained.

It’s about the way you guys raise the dog. My pitbull is almost 10, I have a 5year old and a 9month old and he is their Bestfriend. He loves them, protects them, follows my oldest everywhere.

3 Likes

My pibble was rescued at about 8 years old. We think he was used as a bait dog. From the very second we brought him home (he was in pain and had wounds) all he wanted was for my kids to love on him. He would not walk out the door until they both gave him a kiss. :heart: he still to this day demands cuddles from them :joy:

2 Likes

I have an 11 yr old pit mix and he has been raised with all three of my kids. They are 13 10 and 7 hrs great with them all and was really great with them as babies. It is all in how you raise any dog.

It’s all in how the dog is raised. Don’t miss treat the dog and they will be your best friends no matter what bread they are. I have known many families that had pit bulls and they were the most friendly and loving dogs I had seen. Some the kids would be laying on the dogs.

Pitties are one of the sweetest breeds ever. They get a bad rap. It’s all in how you raise them, and that goes for any dog. But they naturally have a sweet temperament. You know what doesn’t?? Little dogs - jack russels and chihuahuas are top of the list.

It’s the owner and how the dog is raised!!! Pit bulls are actually great family dogs when raised properly, super sweet and loving and one of the cuddliest breeds I know! I have a shepherd x husky and she’s more of an arse to strangers than any pit I know :rofl: still super sweet and loving to her fam of course but strangers coming around and her shepherd protectiveness definitely shines.

1 Like

ALL dogs have the potential to be aggressive. It is not breed specific. You have to teach your dog to be gentle with kids but you also have to teach your kid not to pick on the dog. Your dog will let your kid climb all over it and not bat an eye because that’s his person, but someone else’s dog won’t do that. I had 4 pits that would never hurt a fly unless that fly was hurting my babies. They are the most loving and loyal dogs I’ve ever known (and I grew up in the country off an old highway. People dumped their pets all the time) We just didn’t have the room in our two bedroom house for them and didn’t have the yard space for them to play. They are very loving and loyal creatures. You just gotta raise them right.

1 Like

I got my first pit when he was 4 months old. He was awesome with kids. Loved cats but was very dog aggressive.

Our pittie is a sweet snuggle bug. A very busy boy. You should have the lifestyle to keep them busy. He is great with both my kids!

We have two pitbulls and a terrier. Our pitbulls are mellow and sweet (hyper at play time) and very protective over our kids. They have been great with three babies (that are now 6, 2 and 7 months). I highly recommend

I’d trust my pit bull to babysit my kids before some random human she’s the most loyal and sweetest dog I’ve ever had

You can have any breed of dog around your kids as long as you raise the dog properly. People make pit bulls sound so bad and they are literally like any other dog.

1 Like

I have a 7 month old pit puppy mix and she is extremely gentle with my almost 2 year old son.

Tip: While he is still young… have your children feed him, stick their hands in his bowl while he eats, pet him while he’s eating, etc. these are small things that will prepare him for children being around. I’ve done this with all of mine, and my kid can sit on my dog while she eats and she’s not phased!

1 Like

I have owned quite a few dogs and my pitty is by far the most sweetest, loving, loyal dog I’ve had. She is great and loves my kids. I honestly probably wouldn’t recommend any other dog.

One of the best dogs ever for kids. As long as you raise em right. My pit and daughter have grown up together. And she won’t let anyone near her.

My pitty is the biggest baby ever I have 4 kids (10,9,2, and 7 months old) he tries to be a lap dog and he’s a big chicken if another dog barks at him he gets scared I think my cats are braver than him. :joy:

I have met some very loving pits! Like said above it is how they are raised/trained!!

Raise them with love and it’s all you will ever get. There will be no breed more in love and protective of your kids.

Pitbulls used to be “Nanny dogs” their great with kids if trained correctly.

4 Likes

I have a 9 yr old pitty and a 10 yr old boy a 4 yr old girl and a baby on the way. I have never worried about my dog and my kids. They bed share they share snacks my daughter lays in the dog bed with her. As a baby she tried to “bathe” the baby as much as we let her lol I worry more about my Sheppard mix then I do my pittybaby.

Before humans destroyed their reputation they were referred to as nanny dogs, amazing with kids all around great family dogs.

1 Like

Even though Pitts were breed for hog and boar hunting, they are also called nanny dogs.

1 Like

I have a 9yr old pitty … I have an almost 4 and 2 yr old kids. I also have a smaller dog and there are 2 other small dogs in the house.
Its all about how they are raised and trained. She grew up with kids I baby sat.

I have 4 bullies and newborn and a 3 year old in my house. My 1yo bullies and the 3 yo girl are best friends.

Pits get so much crap about being mean and vicious it’s how you train your dog or lack of training that makes them that way they are just big baby’s with the right love care and training

Pits were originally bred to watch over children, they are super protective. They are amazing dogs, I have a pit mix an she’s most gentle sweetest dog ever.

2 Likes

I trust my pity over most humans I have 6 kids 13 to 1 and my dog would protect them till her last breath…its the lily chiwawas you gotta worry about lol

1 Like

My daughter was raised with one since puppy & newborn and not once did he turn on her . They both was inseparable.

I had them as a kid. My mom still has the one we got when I was around 13. She wouldn’t hurt a fly! Her chihuahua is meaner than the pit!

Any animal with teeth has the ability to bite. However, Pits only have a bad rep because of the actions in which owners did in the past.

When I was growing up, we ONLY had pit bulls. They’re named a nanny dog for a reason. They’re loving, protecting, goofy. None of my family’s pits have EVER snapped or bit anyone. My chihuahua on the other hand? I can’t have her around children at all.

It’s all on how you raise them. Get a puppy and have it grow up in the environment you are in. Also teach the children not to jump on/pull on the dog and you won’t have anything to worry about. Dogs can’t just say, “please get off of me this hurts”.

As someone who rescues dogs, it doesn’t matter what breed it is, ALL animals can snap at any given time.
However, teaching your child how to respect animals (separate them while dog is eating, teach them not to stick their hands in the food. No pulling the ears/tail/etc.) And teaching your dog commands and practicing them every day (sit, down, stay, leave it, etc) is the absolute best thing that you can do.
Understanding animals behavior and their body language is another very important thing…

I’ve rescued bait pits, fighting pits, severely abused pits as well as tons of other breeds and my son has yet (knock on wood) to be hurt by any of them. Annnnd most of them end up sleeping in bed with him :woman_facepalming:t2::rofl:

2 Likes

Teach your kids to respect the dog and everything should be fine!

I would not worry. The best dog I ever had for kids was a pit. Her 3 fav things me, kids and puppies. Most important with any dog is early rules and socializing them in all places. Kids park bus stop busy road to a pet friendly store. Trains station. Take them everywhere. When my girl was older she never stayed home. Even went on vacation with us. But good training and social training is key to any breed.

Do it. I’ve had a pit mix since my oldest was about 1. She LOVES him and he loves her.

Breed has nothing to do with behavior, it’s how you raise/train the dog. I’ve had cats that were bigger bullies than dogs, regardless of breed

I have 2 pitties, my male is an 80 pound sweetheart. He is such a nanny dog, those are HIS babies and he would never let anything happen to him. Its all in how you raise, and yes you do have to keep an eye when the kids get older they love to ruffhouse with them, you just have to make sure the kids dont get too ruff. My pits have LOTS of patience sometimes more than me lol. But i think they’re great family dogs

Our big baby is amazing with kids… ages: 4,3,7,15 n the rest of us… plus, we found him and I’d trust him over my old chihuahua that wouldn’t hesitate to attack you…

1 Like

The breed isn’t so much the issue is how you raise them and how they are trained. I have met some sweet sweet pit bulls and I have met some asshole labradors

I have 5 kids and 2 pitties. They are great with all my kids from newborn up!!! They are amazing!!

My boyfriend’s pit is the sweetest thing ever.:woman_shrugging:t2: It’s literally how you raise them.

They are one of the best dogs. Don’t discriminate on them based on there breed. Any dog can do damage its all the way your raise and treat it.

2 Likes

So you mean just a dog lol?

My pitbull cross is an amazing dog and my sons best friend. We’ve had her seven years and wouldn’t trade her for any other dog.

1 Like

Pits are great, if you treat them well and raise them right. A little extra professional training never hurts, either.

My Pitt mix is absolutely the BEST dog with my daughter!! They are best friends. It’s all about the dog and how you treat them. I’d be more scared of little dogs with a baby to be honest :woman_shrugging:t2:

We have a year old pup. He is our guardian. And we call him the baby sitter. Everytime my neice is here (3 months) he has to sit in front of her like a body gaurd. And sleeps underneath my daughters bed. I love pitts.

I have 1 pit and my sister in law has 3 right now and they are the best with kids…none of them have ever been aggressive…I love pits :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

We have 2 kids and 2 pitbulls. We have never had any problems. I have only ever had pits and won’t have anything else. The kids will snuggle with them and love on them and they are so patient with them. Our kids are 5 and 3. Raise the dog right and it will be :slightly_smiling_face: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Pitbulls are natural nanny dog breed. Before they were all big and bad and the media started hating them. They really are great protectors, even the males protect babies. My pitty always sits with baby and checks on her. Dont teach your teach your kids to be mean and it will be fine

1 Like

They’re the best dogs you could have around kids. It’s all about how you raise them. My son and daughter are best friends with ours .

I had a pitbull she was older when my boys were born she was amazing with them she was a little over protected when it came to them too when my oldest was born she wouldn’t let anyone she didn’t know pick him up or touch him she didn’t bite anybody but, she would make known that those were her babies nobody was going to harm them. Pits are amazing dogs if they are raised right!!

I’ve had a pit for 7 years and he is the most gentle dog I’ve ever seen. He and my 2 year old are bffs

2 Likes

Pits have been more kind and loving to my children than any other breed of dog. They were called Nanny dogs for a reason, they take care of their people and are great family dogs. From a toddler age, my kids have been able to play with pits more safely than any other breed. It’s my small breed dogs that I had to watch my children extra closely with, and that I’ve had problem interactions with. That being said, I teach my children that any animal should be respected and that it’s our responsibility as humans to show them love, respect, and respect their space and boundaries. This goes for animals we have not met, as well as those we know and are in our home. Often times, it’s a child not respecting an animal that can cause issues.

3 Likes

Sweetest dog ever, all the neighborhood kids love her.

He’s going to be 7 this year. My oldest was 1 when we adopted him and our youngest is 5. He’s more “afraid” of the kids than they are of him. He’s also afraid of my cat but loves to lay on anyone to cuddle. He’s the biggest baby I have.

1 Like

On top of what everyone else has said make sure you do your research and learn about the breed. They are amazing dogs.

We had a pit bull that passed a couple years ago & never had an accident with family or my kids. The only guy she didn’t like near by was the owner of the house​:joy::rofl:.
We also have a big chihuahua mix n she actually had been great too until last year that my nieces kept bringing their dog n would bite my dog n for that while my dog would bite back n once bit my son in the Cheek. The dog never came back n our dog was back to normal.

So it’s all bout how you raise them to be.

We have 2 and no issues. I grew up with rottie and she was the best dog hands down. They are both literally just big babies :joy:

Our pit/lab mix is our toddlers best friend. She is so good with the kids. It’s little dogs we’ve had issues with. Our 2 year old got scratched/bit in the face while playing with a little dog last month.

I’ll just leave this here. Our two babies. He’s never so much looked wrong in her direction. He’s our daughters best protector and the most gentle dog I’ve ever owned

1 Like

I’ve never experienced any problems with kids and pitbulls, my girls loved our mix. And he loved them, it’s all about how you raise them…

My miniature pincher is by far meaner than any of the pity’s I have ever been around. My cousin has 4 of them and they are all so gentle with his babies.

When my kitty was brought home she didn’t know what to do Jackson let her share his food tray and water… now she won’t even drink her own water and shares his :nauseated_face:

1 Like

I have 2 pitbull mix dogs and a one year old and I’m pregnant with my 4th baby they like the baby and my belly more than they like any of the rest of us right now. Even after my Male dog has spent 8 months getting tested and treated for allergies he’s doing great with her. Get yourself the nanny dog and watch them be best friends. Baby and dogs were outside yesterday catching bubbles together

Why do pit bulls still have such a bad stereo type???

2 Likes

They are great with kids. But you have to have time to raise them. They have very high energy! Very powerful animals. I love my two pits and one is older so he is super laid back and loving. My younger one in this picture is also very loving and sweet but he can be a lot to handle and I’ve wished at times I didn’t get him because of how much time and energy he is. Chews things up, inside and outside lol. I’ve spent so much money on him. But I love him and would never give him up. It’s a big decision so make sure you have time and patience with this breed.

2 Likes

I had a pitbull who was best friends with our pig and kids they all grew up together. Sadly our pit is no longer here.

Pitbulls are some of the sweetest dogs I’ve ever met. Do it. Especially if your looking to adopt a pup. My biggest concerns are all easily trainable. 1) train it not to jump on people. If he/she tries, don’t fight them or back away, but walk into their space. They’ll learn not to jump pretty quick. And 2) socialize them. Bring them around AS MANY people as you can. The only things I would worry about are the dog not realizing their size and knocking a kid off their feet unintentially by jumping or wagging their whole rear end as the like to do, or becoming over protective around people they don’t know. But as I mentioned, those are both easy to take care of. As far as aggression, I wouldn’t even be concerned one bit. I’ve yet to meet a single aggressive pit bull in my life. They’re huge babies that just want to love and play.

I groom dogs and I’ve been bit by everything under the sun including multiple golden retrievers, but not a pit. I’ve never had one show me any type of nasty disposition in the salon or public, my mom has two. They are amazing family/kid dogs. It’s all about the proper training and SOCIALIZING.

2 Likes

Pitties have very loving natures it is not the dog but their master that give them a bad name. My son got a pit that was rescued from a fighting ring at the age of 2. I was afraid not because of the breed but how he had been used and raised but honestly he is an amazing dog and we never have (in 4 years) ever had an issue with the kids and trust me I watched like a hawk. If they cried as babies he would go lie next to them or lick their hands and try and get us to fix it. Just know they can be strong willed and they are tanks but hearts as big as their muscles

Its all on how you riase the pit. Pits can be the best dogs ever if raised right. So gentle so loving and soooo protective.
Never let them be aggressive w food or toys and always educate your child on the right and wrong ways to touch dogs. Its a lot of work and repetitive comands but totally worth it.

1 Like

Pitbulls are one amazing dogs.
It is all in the way they are trained.
I have 2 and we did alot of research before we got our first who is now a 9 year old fur baby.
My other is a year and a half . I have a 4 year old grandson and a 9 month old and they are amazing with them.
I do still keep an eye when they interact only because when my son was 4 we took in a 1 year old doberman who bit my son but go to find out he was abused in the home we adopted him from.
Pit bulls were know as a nanny dog. That they are and amazing doggies if raised right :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

My daughter and her best friend :heart:

1 Like

We have one. Eli. Have had him since he was 9 weeks old. Not a single issue. We have trained him well and our kids are excellent with him. Here he is with our nearly 11yo dog jake.
It all comes down to training.

I have always had pit bulls raised 3 kids around them no problems I also do kitten rescue and no problems

3 Likes

Don’t be a crappy owner and actually train the dog like you’re supposed to and you’ll be fine

1 Like

My daughter has a pit bull, and a 1 year old baby, lila very protective over joshua, she’s good with the baby, when she hears joshua crying, she’s right by his side, see if he’s alright

1 Like

A family friend had a rescue pitbull she was the biggest baby she was great with all the kids.

I have had my pit since a few month’s before we brought my daughter home from the hospital. He is an amazing dog and loves my 2 kid’s. He is there best friend. He lives all kid’s.

1 Like