Tips and tricks for weaning a baby who is obsessed with the boob?

I put bandaids over my nipples and said boobie is broken… he was obsessed too and I was worried but he was totally fine… although he was closer to 2… good luck Mumma

17 Likes

Spread out the nursing times by being to busy, not sitting down, get his attention elsewhere, etc. stretch out the times, morning, noon, evening, bedtime. Morning, evening, bedtime. Morning and bedtime. Give him a zippy cup instead of you. You’ll dry up eventually and he’ll have no milk. Booby (or whatever he calls it) is empty, tell him. On the other hand 15 months is no big deal. My boy was 2 1/2. I didn’t think he was ever going to quit but he tapered off with my help. BTW, he’s now a productive wonderful man of 37. It didn’t hurt him to BF that long.

5 Likes

The wee lad smells his breast milk that’s why he is so attached dad should be home with baby and mum should be in a hotel.
Weaning if that’s what you want to do is missing a feed and continue to feed the rest next day miss two feeds and feed the rest till you’ve weaned him off totally should you become engorged dont feed him if necessary express enough off to ease the tension but not a whole feed. Encourages someone to be with baby so hedosent smell your milk .Do not put as suggested on your breast turns will burn you you dont need anything on them if you have frozen milk use it for him to drink or for mixing
Persevere you’ll get there you’ve done really well good luck

5 Likes

I have three little boys, all were obsessed with nursing. The only thing that worked for me and was fairly painless in comparison to all other things I’ve tried was bandaids. Covering your nipples with bandaids saying you have a booboo. Somehow my boys accepted it over anything else I’ve tried. Good luck!

3 Likes

Some of the “advice” in here is just :hushed:

13 Likes

I was in that same position with my daughter. I BF for 14 months. I was done too. We couldn’t get her to take a bottle even with breast milk in it. Basically my husband and I starved her. I left one morning and didn’t return until she took food another way. If memory serves me correctly, I left in the morning and by late afternoon she was drinking from a straw. We knew if I was in sight this plan wouldn’t work. My daughter is now 23 and only hears the story. She was not traumatized. Do it for your sanity.

22 Likes

So I know judgement is coming but…

My daughter was a month away from 2. She would eat and drink so well but she still nursed whenever I allowed and even when I didn’t. I tried sleeping on my stomach and even with laying clothes and I would wake up nauseous because she would still get to me. It got to a point where I was so weak and exhausted I was ready to stop feeding especially because she ate 3 meals a day and snack so why continue, right ? Well I had a appointment to pierce my nose and decided to pierce my nipples as well. Wasn’t the brightest idea but it worked.

1 Like

Let him stay at a grandmas or aunts house for a few days. My middle daughter nursed til she was 15 months. We had an out of town wedding and she stayed back with my in laws and when I came home she was done

1 Like

My pediatrician recommended not weaning until 18 months. Once mine started walking (15 months) she weaned herself.

3 Likes

Well you said he is 15 months it might take some time for him to get used to it but put him
On a Sippy cup then that way no more bottles. And if you are dry up on your milk he just use you for Comfort at night until he all into the dippy cup

1 Like

What about the stuff they use to stop nail biting ? My girl used me as a dummy and I loved breast feeding but at 14 months I finally gave her her last feed after weaning gradually ,( pretty sure it was just dust coming out by then lol) I guess the less you feed then the more it will dry up so once it’s all gone he may lose interest. Good luck :slight_smile:

Generations ago the average weaning was 2 years so don’t worry. They are little for such a short time. Enjoy comforting him.

2 Likes

Will take a few days, but YOU are the parent, stand firm and let him cry it out.

2 Likes

Go on a momma only vacay! Leave the kids with a friend/your mom etc.

4 Likes

My aunt while she was feeding her son Kenyon when he looked away she put a toy cockroach on her boob and when he looked back he was terrified and never touched it again

2 Likes

I’m not sure but it sounds like substitution if he want to suck sippy cup. If he wants comfort give him comfort hugs kisses blanket teddy. Life is full of hard things and sometimes kids don’t get their way. It

1 Like

I have two pieces of advice but the second one is too harsh for both the baby and mother. This is the first one: Go to an Oriental or Asian Grocery. Buy one piece of Bitter Nut. Slice it open and discard the seeds. Boil the Bitter Nut with a minimum of water. Let it cool down. Before going to bed with the boob obsessed, dress your boobs with the bitter water. I’m sure, that little guy will no longer find your boobs desirable. If that fails, try the second advice which is: Apply some ground black pepper around your nipples. As I warned you beforehand, you might feel a hot sensation with the black pepper. Your boob-obsessed little guy will surely not bother your nipples anymore after that.

2 Likes

If he won’t sleep in the afternoon, exhaust him so he’s tired at night. Try a week of pushing him to his physical limits so he’s tired, falls asleep and stays asleep. I’d also talk to a child psychologist to get some tools on how to deal with that temper :hugs: hugs! Parenting is not easy! :heart:

4 Likes

My son did the exact same thing. It took me two years to figure it out. Finally, out of desperation, I put a tape on, when I put him to bed, and left the light on. After a week, he slept through the night and never woke up screaming again.

1 Like

I never breastfed my kids, but maybe he isn’t ready?? You may be ready to stop, he may not be. If you are adamant that he be bottle fed, he may have a hard time but there are ways to help him cope, and help you cope as well. I would love to talk to you to help!

Then keep breastfeeding him. Everything I’ve ever learned about kids or babies or breastfeeding is follow their cues, and every kid is different. And with Covid looming, I’d keep going if it were me…
I nursed both of mine until they were 2.

Try weaning during the day then if hes screaming its not keeping everyone up leave him with a bottle. Also like the putting something that tastes horrible on your breast :rofl:

1 Like

Go away for one night and when you come back put vinegar or something equally disgusting on the nips under plasters and say they’ve stopped making milk because he’s a big boy now - when he rips it off in a tantrum and tries to latch he will see for himself they’re broken and hopefully stop

Count, say you can nurse to the count of thirty. And count. They get the comfort and you know the time. It does take awhile but worked for me.

Hey Hun!

You have come such a long way with your little one and what a great job you have done too!

My daughter is older than yours she is currently 2 year and 9 months and up until her sister was born nearly 14 weeks ago she would be on me constantly and It was so tiring.

Unfortunately I had to be a bit strict with her and reduced her down to only a feed at night now but I still have to offer her a replacement such as strawberry milk.

You do what you need to Hun, if you feel you need to wean you do it or if you would rather try and cut them down to a certain number of feeds you do it.

You do what feels right for you and your child xx

Patience grasshopper…this too will pass. Treasure this while you can…because there will come a day when he no longer needs this type of closeness. Believe me when I say…you will really miss that snuggle time that ONLY YOU were able to give him. :v:and :heart:

I feel your pain.my youngest was just over 2 when i had to endure the melt downs of wheaning off.it was a hard couple of days but you both will get through it.
She is now 15 and still my shadow.

1 Like

I wish I had this problem! My 3 month old is on a nursing strike. He’s a month preemie so he also doesn’t suck hard enough to empty the boob. So I gotta feed them pump everytime

If you keep giving in to not wake everyone else in the house, he will continue until he gets his way. If you close off the faucet, he will get the message that the boobs do not belong to him. Just have patience listening to him screen for a night or two- he’ll get the message

I had to put band aids over my nipples and toldmy daughter sore which she understood and it worked, she would come and hop on during the night otherwise, she was 2 1/2.

I started using bottles aswell and eventually weaned her off me and onto them xx then weaned her off them onto a sip cup x my daughter would never have a dummy and the only bottles she would use were the closer to nature ones Tommie tippy

Put boob milk in the bottle at night , my 18 month old gets one before bed still , try a different bottle like the mam bottle it’s close to a natural nipple so they say but that’s what my son uses and the whole day he is trained to use sippy cups and straw cups , after that bottle I give him a mam pacifier and I take it when he falls asleep, u could slowly add some milk to the breast and reduce until nothing but whole milk is in it

1 Like

If you’re done. Be done. You can give him a bottle or cup with milk while you comfort him. His anger and temper tantrums need to be controlled. As he gets older. He gets stronger. So maybe talk with his pediatrician about ways you can get him to calm down.

Let him scream for an hour. He knows if he does it long enough you will come. So he just has to hold out a little bit more. It’s hard but if you are done and over it. You have to set boundaries. As long as he’s not hurt or anything else. Let him scream to scream. We did a thing we’re we would reassure every 5 mins. It worked quick. Mine would scream just to hear her voice. It’s hard. But you really gotta stick to your stance and not give in. You give in once. He knows you’ll do it again.

1 Like

My daughter was the same. I got her to stop at 26 months. I did what my mom did to me when I was a baby. Put mustard on my nipple lol. I would wear an old bra and put mustard on it. She hates it. And would see the yellow stains on my bra lol

Just do it! It’s got to be done. You are in charge not him. Love you baby!

1 Like

I’m in the same boat with my 2.5 year old daughter! She’s absolutely relentless!

Omg what the hell is with some of these comments?!
Mumma, you and I are in the exact same boat, and I am ready too, but the nearly two year old isn’t. But I just can’t anymore. Between an older child, a house to run, and a full time job, I need my sleep and my sanity. And as much as my little mummy’s boy loves the boob, I gotta break it!
You and I both know that crying it out isn’t gonna work, coz they’ll just continue to scream lol just saying no and holding them and letting them cry worked on my first, it’s not going to work on this one.
I think the tip of trying something yuk on boobs might help, vinegar or something? I tried the bandaids one, didn’t work, and hurt like a bitch to peel off.
Otherwise meds from the doc might be our last chance lol
Good luck mumma. We’ll both need it :joy:

1 Like

Welcome in my word…my son 26 month old…I’m ready to stop…I was ready along time ago…but he is obsessed with boobs…If he is not drinking milk he just wantsto hold them…Anyone can help?

Try tea tree oil. That stuff tastes bitter and is not poisonous. A tiny bit goes a long way.

My oldest NEVER used a bottle he just wouldn’t. He did however use a sippy cup soft top… it’s worth a shot

There is nothing more wonderful than the ‘nursing couple’ a bond of needing each other, you need him to relieve your pressure of milk, and he to nourish himself, and loves the closeness he feels with you. Obviously your little precious doesn’t need the nourishment…, he has become attached ( no pun intended) emotionally… perhaps, is there something you couple with sitting down to nurse? Such as, grabbing a book and reading with your littles? Or sitting down and playing? A stuffed animal to snuggle? If not, I would suggest you couple your nursing with something else. You want to integrate gently, so as not to emotionally damage your little. Choose a special bear/doll/stuffed animal… incorporate this toy into peekaboo, hide n seek, or…? After the child has ‘taken’ with the new friend… invite friend to read a story before bed time…(this time includes all the children). Be sure to make a big deal with friend…. Cuddle new friend WITH the little AND you. Tell nursing little that ‘we will nurse later’. . After stories. After tucking in the others… take the nursing little in with a book or two and new friend into bed and lay down with him, look through the books… reinforce your love for him and how much you are thankful for him in your life. As you nurse, set a limit… 1/2 time you usually allow… and tell the little that you and friend are going to stay and rest with them after nursing… stay until child is asleep… in 2-3days continuing to include friend book and resting With child…. Now decrease again by half. The child will soon be comfortable just being on your lap, snd laying next to you. Does that make sense? Within a month you should be off the boob. Good luck

You’ve decided to go with extended breastfeeding, so its kinda in his hands now. He’ll wean when he’s ready, or you just say no and suffer the fallout for a bit. Tough gig either way, good luck :+1:

It’s his comfort and bonding time with you. Just nurse him at night some. You can put something sour on your nipples. Then tell your baby your boobs don’t work any longer. He’s soon give it up.

Vicks finally worked for me. The smell he couldn’t stand it.

Your giving in to his tantrums, thats why he will scream for an hour, dont do it

1 Like

Ah well my last one wasn’t fully weaned till age 4 so…

She asked for suggestions not judgement.

I’m 46 and still obsessed with boobs

Cherish those moments with him for in a blink of an eye he will be an adult. You can never get these precious moments back -that bond we formed lasted from baby to man we have an unbreakable bond - formed when he was a breast-feeding baby. Just sayin’

My son is 18 months and is just starting to wean himself off… im also pregnant with number 2. He was the same way… he’ll wean himself hes ready… unless you really want to get him off… try to distract him from it. I know it’s tough. You got this momma :grin:

Put tape over breast. Tell him it’s broken

1 Like

Put a safe cream that tastes nasty. He will hate it. Good luck!

1 Like

Let him throw his fit. Only way. Only way.

6 Likes

It sounds crazy, but following the Farmer’s Almanac weaning schedule worked for me.

This lady just described my life and child exactly :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I went straight from boob to a sippy cup. I spent all that money on new bottles, all the different pacifiers. I tried to get him off me for the better part of 6 months and then that worked. I got that trick off a breastfeeding support group on fb.

4 Likes

Let him meltdown. You are allowing him to grow into a person who will be arrogant and demanding- what he wants or everyone suffers. He has found that bunging on a turn works - you give in to him. A few nights and days of tantrum throwing might be wearing on the nerves but remember you are the adult - and you make the rules!! Be firm.

5 Likes

The ball is in your court momma

1 Like

Letting him cry it out is rough but sometimes it is the only thing that works

5 Likes

Put hot sauce or asofeditia on your nipples. Eat a lot of onions and garlic.

My babies really got tired of it however I breast and bottle fed so my boobies could get a break.

1 Like

I tried aloe vera pepper painting my breast blue you could even eat foods to turn your milk so bitter he will not care because it’s comfort isn’t about food anymore… I’ll tell you though nursing boys while they’re stitching them up on the operating table it’s really important they turnout like King Kong on crack independent and emotionally secure because of it… they believe and know the world responds… you are the world course and they don’t end up being Mama’s boys they really end up being super independent strong as an ox I know it’s hard work but so worth it… Waking up in the night is abusive though tell him you’ll give him nurse him during the day and before bed but that you’ve got to sleep at night … I have four children some stopped at 3 some stopped at 4 where I live some nurse till 12 years old so every family and child is different in the end the only recourse is for you to go on a vacation for a week if it comes to that and it’s that important for you to stop nursing… You know a silicone nipple in plastic bottle is a replacement for a breast so there isn’t anyone that would think that a 15 month old didn’t deserve a bottle technically you stop nursing when you would stop giving a bottle so if a year and three month old babies don’t get bottles they wouldn’t get the breast.

See your doctor to dry your milk up, no milk no boobies

Check in Google how to wean a child from breastfeeding

You need to let the baby cry it out. Will eventually learn that he doesn’t get any more boob when he is hungry and only a bottle

6 Likes

Sometimes the best thing is to just let them cry. I know it’s hard and it isn’t fun for anyone in earshot, but at this rate you’ll still be nursing when he’s 3.

2 Likes

Take the 2 older kids on a weekend vacation and leave baby home with the most patient (or deaf) person you know. The older ones will have some quality time with mom and baby’s obsession with the boob will have a chance to abate. You’re going to have to go cold turkey that kid. If you’re around, it’ll never work, so it’s time to combine all forces to defeat the toddler tyrant.

2 Likes

You’re just gonna have to push through the tantrums, eventually they’ll stop. If you keep giving in, hes going to learn that tantrums lets him get his way, and that’ll turn out to be an extremely destructive mindset to have in the future. Hold your ground and stay strong.

3 Likes

You just keep checking on him and let him scream. Every 15-20 minutes go back in there look at him, make sure he’s okay walk back out, while telling him to go to sleep. If it takes 4 hours that’s how long it takes, just keep it up until he falls asleep. You must do this or you will never get past it. He’s been rewarded for this behavior and it needs to stop. It’s not cold or cruel as long as you keep checking on him. Do not touch him when you tell him to go to sleep, after the initial time you put him down. You’ll be pleasantly surprised, after you’ve dealt with it.

3 Likes

I suffered several nights of meltdown with my youngest. I just apologised and told her she was too old … not that that stopped her screaming

1 Like

Try putting something that tastes bad on your boob!

1 Like

At 15 months old he should be able to use a sipper cup …And starting to eat and drink other things …introduce something new to drink to replace a nursing feed …

Help him understand as much as possible that babies drink mommy milk. Next teenager

If he’s eating table food like a 5 year old it’s time to cut his butt off​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

i would go to you doc and get some pills to dry up your supply but first pump and freeze then force him to take sippy cups with the milk

1 Like

Look into The Milk Meg and her weaning advice :relaxed:

Put lemon on your nipples or place bandaids over your nipples!!! And tell baby you have a ouchie

Jessica Flores sound familiar?:thinking::laughing:

Just asset dominance and punch him.

Why do you have to ??

Comfort is the key here. He WILL OUTGROW this stage w/o whatever stress he is experiencing now.
:breast_feeding:t2::baby:t2::revolving_hearts:

And you should move on from that stage.

1 Like

Give a cup and don’t give up.

1 Like

I like the idea of putting something edible but yucky on the breast, balsamic vinegar, hot sauce etc. Also, there is a product in the nail polish section that helps you stop biting your nails that taste bad. Obviously not going to kill you if you taste it. We used this on my nieces thumb nail to break her from sucking her thumb. It worked.

Kayla Olivia get a load of some of these comment. Even men’s opinions on the topic lol

Is la Leche league still around

Who is the parent ??

1 Like

throw a glass of water in his face , he will stop screaming

16 Likes

I tried the old school methods that my mom shared with me and nothing worked. I realized one day my two yr old didn’t like the odor of bandaids and that was my only hope and it worked with about four bandage’s.

It won’t change until you stop giving in

2 Likes

I went straight to cups with two of mine. My last daughter was obsessed!! It took nearly a week of screaming and double bra, singlet tucked into undies and a t-shirt on to stop her! I’d maybe start off on a cup of a day, get the idea in through the day for a couple of weeks, maybe his first day sleep and then build up, it won’t be so bad by the time you say goodbye to the night feed too by then

1 Like

Bed time boob and put plasters on you Le nipples and say they don’t work now until tomorrow or don’t work full stop , and offer cup of warm milk or water instead. This is what a friend did after over 2yrs of feeding and it worked

2 Likes

bandaid over the nips, tell him you have a boo boo,

1 Like

I cant personally imagine weaning that young. But when mine weaned they dropped a feed every few days/weeks until it was just once at bedtime. Then we talked about going to bed with a cuddle and no booby.

Put some apple cider vinegar on your nipples when they want to nurse. Slowly reduce feedings. Be consistent with the bottle.

1 Like

My daughter was the same it was really bad aggressive tantrums at night for about a week, second week wasn’t as bad but she was still mad. Since then she’s fully weaned and occasionally will pull at my shirt but she’s accepted there’s no more night time feeds. It’s an amazing feeling not to be breastfeeding after 28 months lol

I switched all of my boys to sippy cups at 1yr. They find ways self soothe on their own. I would start taking away Naptime nursing. Then slowly take away nights. Put bandages on & say momma has an ouchie then offer the cup. Next night… Nope, momma has ouchie’s remember?! Stay consistent & firm

1 Like

My son’s were both a year and a half when I took away the breast feeding option. They were both near impossible to ween but I just didn’t give them that as an option any more because I was physically exhausted from being a milk factory for 3 years straight ! Lol Gotta take care of you and just say “no more boobies” when he tries … he won’t be happy about it lol

I thought I was ready to finish feeding. Then my little girl got really poorly, refusing boob for 3 full days too when I knew that it would be feeding that would make her feel better. I was in agony and realised that I wasn’t ready to quit. On the 4th day, when the pain had started to subside as I assume my milk was drying up, my little girl lifted up my top and asked for boobie. I cried happy tears. Make sure you are making the right decision :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like