Tips and tricks for weaning a baby who is obsessed with the boob?

When my son was 15 months old my husband and I went on a three day trip alone. The morning we left was the last time he nursed, he spent the three days with Grandma and when we got back he wanted to nurse but I just made my breasts inaccessible and distracted him. After that first day back I don’t think he asked again. And grandma didn’t have any issues with him requesting to nurse because I simply wasn’t there to remind him that it was even an option.

1 Like

I had this problem as well!!
What I did was instead of give her my boob and lay with her, I put her pacifier in her mouth (which she didn’t like) and right away started rocking her in a steady rhythm over and over in bed while patting her butt and saying shhhhh over and over and over until she fell asleep. It took like 3 times and she was off the bob completely!!!

I know it sounds silly, but the rocking over and over and the butt patting and the shhhhh will distract them from wanting your boob!!! It really worked!!!

I plan to do the same with my son when he’s 1 and he’s currently 8 months

1 Like

Lily Drake I was pretty much going to say the same thing. That or earplugs snd white noise for everyone else because she’ll be going in to pat him on the back (but no booby) at increasingly longer intervals the first several times he’s screams his way through the missed boob hypnotherapy. Cut one nursing session at a time over a period then move to the next after a few weeks spread over 6 to 12 weeks. Schedule it out. Cut the hardest one (probably the night time) last. Replace with pacifier and snuggle object. He has to be retrained to self soothe some. I weaned 3 strong willed, stubborn boys. Mama HAS to be stronger willed (in everything).

1 Like

Neither one of my kids wanted to give it up. But, you either gotta let it happen naturally… one of mine was 24 months. Or let em cry it out for a few nights.

3 Likes

I had four kids, one boy three girls, I breast fed them all until close to 2, they weaned themselves when they were ready. Of course I was done way sooner since they were eating and everything. It was a comfort, security blanket thing at that point. more confidence and independence seems to be key.

This happened to me. She went till almost 20 months but I had to do it so slowly. I would shorten the nursing time. It was hardest at bedtime and in middle of night. She never took a pacifier or a bottle. Went straight to a zippy cup! And only would drink water when not nursing! She is my third as well. I used to have to tell her no to nursing but let her sleep on my chest. She still sleeps with her hands in my shirt and just turned 2. But he will wean himself. I would give him more zippy cup during day and when he try’s to nurse at night have him get the water too. Best of luck! You’ll get there and then you’ll miss it some days!

My daughter was 22 months. I realized she was 2 years old soon…I was her night time bottle…I said to her one night…it’s all gone. She said --all gone? I said yes, all gone…she walked away, and got into bed. Thank goodness, 2 days later when I was engorged, I said you have to help me out…we nursed one last time…that was it. She never bugged me again…

The child finds security and warmth when you are nursing him. It may be uncomfortable but, he is only 15 months old, so you can slowly wean him off. God bless your family!

Put bandaids on your nips and tell him they hurt you, maybe even make a scene too and act like if when he touches them, cry as if they really hurt. They’ll feel bad. My mom, sister and all my friends used this trick and it worked! Be consistent on keeping bandaids there

I had the same issue with my LO. Try this natural herb powder of eBay. Mix it water and apply it on your breasts just before he wants to feed.
Alamgeer Musabbar Powder

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

After reading many comments (my single baby weaned himself beginning at 18 months) I hope the other half of the world begins to realize just how insightful and inventive women are in general and mothers in particular!

I breast feed all 6 of mine until they didn’t want it anymore, none of them have ever been sick

Every child is different. There is no “right time” to wean a child. Some do so early, others need a little more time. So my advice is, if you wish to quit because of societal pressure, don’t. He will eventually leave it as you begin your routines and the milk flow will slow down slowly. There is nothing wrong with breast feeding until he naturally weans. But, if you want to quit for any other personal reason where it is no longer right for you. There is nothing wrong with that either. You can try several things. Wear a band aid on your nipples and tell him they are hurt and need to heal. You can buy Kinder Nido, it is sweet, and you can tell him you asked the doctor to take some out while you heal to give him some extra comfort if needed. You can take him yo the store and let him find his very own big boy cup. Let him pick the one he really wants and tell him he can only use it when he turns into a big boy. Place it where he can see it and tell his siblings to admire the cup to motivate him. Or sleep at grandmas house every other day or two days at a time, your milk will naturally slow down. Just do NOT pump… That will increase your milk even more.

drop him off at grandma’s with some sippy cups for the week. tell grandma he is weened from the bottle and the boob. when he gets home, he will be.,

Rub aloe vera gel on your nipples. Baby will NEVER want it again!!

training cup…he won’t cry for long…stay consistent

61 I still prefer the boob

You have to be firm. No means No more.

2 Likes