Was I wrong to keep my son home from school after having a meltdown?

I let my kids take 2 mental health days a year. Just like us grown ups, kids can go through tough times too. We all need to decompress from time to time.

3 Likes

Nope mental health is important!! I applaude you!!

Nope… not wrong at all. If your child gets anxiety over doing programs, it’s best to keep your child home. Forcing him to perform in public, when he clearly doesn’t like to, can be traumatizing. You did good. :blush:

1 Like

I would have kept him home too.

There were times when.I just decided they needed a mental health day

As parent with a child that has adhd, dmdd, and anxiety. In past years my son would have meltdowns before school I tried everything to get him to school. Fighting to get in the car ( him punching, kicking and biting me in the process). Pulling him out the car ( looking like a mom beating her child) having a truancy office pick him up. Only to get a call two hours later the school was sending him home because they couldn’t deal with him. Sometimes the fight is not worth the hassle. I did this every day for 3 years. We ended up moving 3 years ago and the new school has made such a difference in how he feels about school (still hates it but goes to see his friends). I am not saying you are wrong for letting him stay home, but talk to him and see if it’s just the anxiety of the program or if he is being picked on… bullying was a big issues at my son’s old school and why he wont go.

1 Like

You went with your gut! You know your child and you made your decision based on them and their emotions! Never doubt that and never let anyone second guess your instinct!
Maybe talk it through with his teacher though for future events that may cause the same emotions and see if some changes can be made and implemented to make the situation easier should it arise again-for whatever the reason meltdowns are hard and take a lot out of everyone!
You go super mum :woman_superhero::star:

1 Like

Programs/performances are not fun for children especially if they are getting drilled daily. I would make him go still. Expect him to at least stand there because children have to build upon uncomfortable experiences to overcome more challenges as they get older. Fast forward next year, expect him to sing. Fast forward a couple of years… “I know you don’t want to present in front of your class, but remember last year and the year before? You stood in front of a 100 people at the Christmas program. You didn’t want to do it, but you made it. Your class only has 20 people. You can make it through your class presentation, just like the class performance.”

1 Like

To each their own :woman_shrugging: with my oldest, absolutely I would keep him home. Knowing him and factoring his puzzle pieces I’d side with he has a legit reason for his feelings…That being said, my youngest…God love him…he works the system and works it well when he wants to lol I’d most likely send him. You know your kiddo best, trust in that :heart:

1 Like

If your child was an adult then I would say they need to learn to deal. Life is not always going to conform to their needs or issues. But your child is not an adult he’s a child. Not everything is black and white when it comes to children. If your child had signed up for this then I would say yes you need to enforce guidance that they move forward with it but it sounds like this was a school function that all the children in the class had to participate in. Just because some children may excel at it doesn’t mean that all children will be comfortable. Do what is best for your child you’re his mother you know it is best don’t question yourself it sounds to me like you have your child’s best interest at heart and that’s most of the battle hang in there Mom you’re doing just fine

NO your a good mom.point… end

Only you know the answer to that. You are his momma. You did what you felt was right for your son. You don’t need anyone to approve. Keep on doing what’s best for your child.

3 Likes

You know your child better than anyone else! My youngest son has horrible anxiety…especially in social situations. After years of stomachs aches and throwing up almost daily I decided to homeschool. Lots of people think I was wrong but my son is happier & healthier than ever. He is ever 2 years ahead of the kids he went to public school with academically now. So you do what’s best for your child and your situation…unless it becomes an issue with truancy it’s no one else’s business

3 Likes

I think you have to go with your gut as a mom, period. I’m about to pull my kindergartener out of school COMPLETELY for anxiety and other health issues, and homeschool. No offense to people that think differently than me, but I grew up with that “well they just gotta learn to deal” mentality and in my opinion it is a flawed way of thinking if you don’t really be careful. I was practically born with anxiety. What helps me now, at 33 and still anxious/depressed is doing things when/how I’m comfortable and being allowed to prepare ahead of time. I agree that we all have to cope with things but real coping eventually deals with those emotions and not just ignoring your anxieties. Being forced to do things without actually giving someone the time and preparation they need helps no one.

If he does not do this on a regular basis then no you are not wrong. No reason to make him so unhappy and uncomfortable this close to Christmas. Just tell him this can’t be a habit. Then find ways he is comfortable with to get him use to group activities.

1 Like

Taking a mental health day is absolutely OK! And good for you for paying attention and knowing something just wasn’t right. You know your kids better than anyone. Sorry it was a rough day but he will appreciate it. Kids get stressed and have bad days too…it’s not just mama :blush:

1 Like

Good job Mom! Your child’s mental health is most important!

2 Likes

NO! A mother’s intuition :blush: I hope your baby feels so much better afterwards! Great job mama! Hugs from Chicago :hugs:

Doing his own thing can lead to other things depending on his age slot of work goes into these Christmas things so hopefully you gave the school a bit of notice he will no what to do every time he doesn’t want to do something

Nope. I’ve read a story where this mom kept her son home because he was depressed. Weeks later he felt well enough to go back. You stop a lot when you actually listen to your kids.

1 Like

Kids get stressed too just like us. If we need a day then they need a day.

1 Like

It’s called a mental health day :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was forced to do performances it just made my anxiety grow into a bigger problem, well done mama :raised_hands:

Jennifer Carter-Smith

How old is he? If hes under 10 id say its no big deal to just keep him home