Was I wrong to skip my sisters wedding?

Was I wrong to not go to my sisters wedding? We havent gotten along our entire lives…she has always made me feel bad about having kids at a young age, not having a job while i was raising them and my husband worked and no matter what i did nothing was ever good enough for her…she still makes snide comments to me anytime she seems me and acts like she is so much better than me…so i decided that i wanted nothing to do with her and skipped out on her wedding…now the entire family is trash talking me and i feel like i can never win…i literally just did what was best for my mental health and people are trying to make me feel bad about it…was i wrong?

190 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Was I wrong to skip my sisters wedding?fami

U are never wrong in your own feelings. I would have skipped to

2 Likes

Nope not wrong, she doesn’t bring any positive thoughts to your life. Life’s too short for negative people.

8 Likes

Good for you … I applaud you for knowing what was best for you

4 Likes

You did the right thing…look after number one sweetheart :heart::england:

Toxic is toxic babe. You don’t have to sit back and take that from anyone. It’s a THEM problem not a YOU problem!

12 Likes

Toxic is toxic :woman_shrugging: it OK to cut off toxic even when it’s family :wink::wink:

6 Likes

No. It’s ok to avoid toxic people, even if you’re related. Let other people say what they want. They aren’t walking in your shoes. Could just be that they plan on being toxic too.

3 Likes

Not wrong at all. Our sisters could be best friends. They both act the same😒

Actually I would have went just to piss her off and not gave a damn could have visited with other friends and family

You rid yourself of the negative energies ! Keep up the good work!

Nobody is entitled to treat you badly. Toxic is toxic even if they’re blood related.
I probably should have skipped my sister’s. I got told she didn’t want me in her wedding because I’m too fat. At that point I was still trying to keep the peace. I finally gave up and walked away last year. You’re allowed to have boundries and do what’s best for you.

11 Likes

Nope. That right there is the reason you didn’t go. But I do think you should stand up to your sister and tell her exactly how she makes you feel and that’s the reason you want nothing to do with her.

3 Likes

No, sounds like you have a toxic family in general and I would cut them all out. It’s noones business who attends a wedding, they should have been there for the bride and groom, not to take notes on who did or didn’t show up.

6 Likes

Take care of you. Family sucks. No one Fs you like family

Cut the ppl off that is talking this crap

I have an older bitch sister too. I have not much to do with her. Family shouldn’t make you feel like a piece of shit all the time

Not wrong at all. I wouldn’t have gone either. You should keep doing what’s good for your mental health. Sounds like the whole family should be cut off too. If they think it’s ok for her to treat you like that then you don’t need that in your life either.

3 Likes

Don’t feel bad. I was the only sister not in my sisters wedding. Why? Who knows. I got to watch my other 3 sisters walk down the isle before my sister who was getting married. Along with the grooms sisters who didn’t even wanna be apart of it. I got to sit in the chair and take pictures. I didn’t go to the reception. I wish I wouldnt have gone to the wedding because I just sat there the whole time crying. She is my only full blood big sister. I was devastated.

3 Likes

I stopped talking to my family - & life is so much better. They would have family get togethers & not invite us or call very last minute as in dinner will be ready in 10 minutes. The one sister would make up stories about my family. They would never show at my dinners. One day I woke up & was done. I don’t call, go over or have nothing to do with them. It feels Good

4 Likes

Nope. You did what was best for you.

2 Likes

No you weren’t wrong. Whatever your reason, you weren’t wrong. Gosh can people not go to things without people talking trash. My gosh these people need a life. Looks like you have some more people to throw out of your life. Screw them.

nope u did wut was best n right for you who is to say if u went that she wouldnt have bashed ya made snide remarks ect. than tried to say u ruined her wedding

You come first. Stay strong.

1 Like

Yes, you should have gone. No matter how you feel about how you feel, family members always go to weddings and funerals

8 Likes

They all sound toxic to me

2 Likes

Nope. I wouldn’t have went either.

3 Likes

NTA. Your whole family sounds toxic. F them, especially the sister. You do you and F what anyone thinks or says about it. Your happiness MATTERS.

2 Likes

I would have called before the wedding and explained to her in an adult way that her remarks hurt you and you just can’t do it anymore, that way she knows why you have backed off.

No you were not wrong. Sounds like whoever is trash talking you, needs to go as well.

You said it, you did what was best for your mental health. Pay no mind to any of them. She still had her day. You not appearing didn’t ruin anything and if she possibly had her feelings hurt, maybe she will be willing to allow an open conversation and you can finally get through to her how her remarks over the years have been damaging to you and your relationship with her

1 Like

Just tell them why you mad? She doesn’t like me. Just keep saying that and go on your marry way. Dont let it bother you.

Nope not at all. You keep doing what makes you happy. You don’t need the negativity in your life.

2 Likes

Sounds like you made the right choice, don’t 2nd guess yourself !!!

1 Like

You shouldn’t feel bad at all. No one deserves to be made to feel the way she makes you feel. She knows how she treats you and she knows that is why you didn’t go so it’s no one else’s business. Don’t let anyone belittle you. You deserve as much respect as anyone else so tell them all to… you know what I’m saying :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

You feel the way you feel for a reason. The problem is not yours, it’s theirs. You need to take care of you, and not worry about what they think or say.

Some people just don’t get it. And sadly, some people never will.

I can tell you that one of the most important things you can do for yourself is to try to forgive them … and let go. You don’t have to like them, and you don’t have to try to accept their behavior, you just need to love yourself enough to get it off your chest & move forward with your own life.

1 Like

No because you don’t have to do something you don’t want to. Ever. Actually.

Tell them you’ll go yo her next wedding

1 Like

You weren’t wrong,but your family is wrong. Your a grown adult it’s none of their business what you do for your own peace .

6 Likes

Take care of yourself and your mental health. Your number one is your family. Your husband and children are top priority. Let them talk. What they say doesn’t matter. They will always talk no matter what. If they come at you wrongly then you cut them off. You don’t need negative energy. They have a right to their own opinion. You have the right to yours. I wouldn’t of gone either.

1 Like

Stay away from toxic…yes that includes ANY family

5 Likes

You’re not responsible for how others feel :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Sounds like you need to cut out the whole family & not just the sister.

6 Likes

Toxic family!! Stay away for your mental health who cares what they say or anybody else says worry about you and your family

2 Likes

If you did what was best for you mentally how could you be wrong??? At the end of the day you made the decision and you have to live with it … it’s already done … these family members that have so much to say what is their view on how your sister treats you??? Live life for you people will talk and judge no matter what you do or don’t do… she still got married without you being there …

You did the right thing. Ignore the haters and don’t even let one word of theirs get to you.

1 Like

As long as you didn’t rsvp and they paid for your plate I would say it’s all good. Things will die down and someone else’s drama will be main stage.

When it comes down to your mental health and doing what is best for you, you are never wrong.

1 Like

I feel like you should cut the cord with all of them and focus on yourself. I know it’s easier said than done though. Your family sounds super toxic.

8 Likes

Why would you go somewhere to see someone that has mentally abused you your whole life? tell your family to hush and be family. You don’t need side comments when they aren’t in that spot

5 Likes

Heck nah! You did what you needed to do for you!

1 Like

Totally your choice. It just gave them another reason to talk shit though. Hope you didn’t rsvp.

No , please don’t feel bad . She should look at herself , her actions toward you and the things she says …I wouldn’t worry about it at all …

1 Like

Stand your ground. It’s your choice and obviously a good one.

1 Like

You owe people Nothing. Family or not. If they can’t respect you then you don’t need them in your life. Do you and be happy. Fuck everyone else. She doesn’t have to like your choices but she should respect them.

What’s done is done. Why are you worried about it now?

Family doesn’t always equal Family. No. You aren’t wrong. And she’s delirious for thinking you guys are solid given her treatment of you.

4 Likes

Never feel bad for doing the right thing for you! Let them talk, it’s just word. Just don’t take them to heart.

1 Like

You need to cut out all the toxic people in your life. Family or not, cut them out!

1 Like

You were exactly right! You take care of you, as your mental well being outweighs her ideas and wants 1,000%. It is your life, and you took care of what is important. Don’t let her or anyone else in the family trash talk you. Turn off social media for awhile as it will calm down especially when she goes off about something else.

Your decision is fine. Don’t let toxic family members continue to hurt you. You may have to stop talking to all of them if they’re badmouthing you.

Family like that isn’t healthy for anyone or your children. You need to do what’s best for you, your children & your own heart. Prayers you find your way through this. & Don’t let your own family bring you down anymore. Your kids need you❤️

I feel for others who don’t have that experience…it will be hard to understand. You have to do whats best for you.
I explained My mother once that just because we are blood related with my sister ,DOES not mean we have to be best of friends or see eachother all the time. My mother felt hurt but she understood.
You get to a certain time in your life that you value your mental peace…I hope your family understands with time and to stop judging.
Also don’t be hard on yourself…no one is perfect. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY !LIFE IS SHORT

1 Like

Not wrong. You need to protect yourself and your children from toxic people and removing toxic people from your life is the best way to go

3 Likes

No. Especially if you don’t get along

1 Like

People don’t get to treat you poorly and expect you to always be there for them, family or not. It’s not easy instilling boundaries where there have never been any before. It will often be met with pushback, slander, guilt tripping, and manipulation to break you. You are absolutely in charge of who and what you allow in your life. No one else has a say in that but you. If they try to bend your boundaries, tell them you won’t discuss it with them further. I’m sorry you’re in this position in the first place. Breaking toxic relationships and cycles is extremely hard. Stay strong :white_heart:

8 Likes

I don’t think so you have to do what’s best for you

2 Likes

You must take care of yourself and that includes mental health. Don’t worry what others say. They don’t live in your skin and they don’t pay your bills.

5 Likes

Go you! You’ve taken a stand for yourself!

1 Like

At the end of the day, they are going to trash talk you period! Wether you went or not is just an excuse! You did what you had to do for you and that is what matters! Toxic likes to make others miserable.

Nope, now stop listening to the rest of those cluckers! You don’t owe anyone any explanation abt your sanity

3 Likes

I mean, if it was going to mess with your mental health then you need to do what’s best for you. That being said, she is family and I feel like even if you just dropped in for an hour or so it would have saved some drama.

2 Likes

Ur not wrong. Why would u go so she can talk trash not worth it

Get rid of toxic people in your life even if it’s family.

2 Likes

I also skipped out on a sister’s wedding because of this stuff !

1 Like

If they can’t respect your choice for mental peace, time to :scissors:

2 Likes

Young one, your life - your decision. You can have unconditional love for all your family - doesn’t mean you have to like them all. :v:t4::sunflower::feather:

2 Likes

Oh dear! Our most basic instinct is survival. You do whatever it takes for your personal health and well-being. Some people will never understand. Stand tall and proud and don’t second guess yourself.

2 Likes

Not wrong at all I skip my brothers wedding cuz I don’t get along with him

No you are not. You have the right to cut toxic family members out of you life! They can all die mad about it!

2 Likes

Not at all. Sometimes family is the worst. Do what’s best for you.

5 Likes

I skipped all my sisters wedding due to the same reason, I don’t speak to my family at all their toxic and wasn’t good for my mental health been 4 years since I spoken to any of them.

5 Likes

No stick to your guns, remove toxic people from your life no matter who they are.

1 Like

No, fuck every single one of them!!!

Nope. I didn’t go to my sister’s wedding either. I didn’t go to anything for my nieces either. My sister her husband and their kids are all toxic. They are all alike and think they’re better than everyone. They are hateful and rude. So now my whole family doesn’t talk to me except my mom and I mad no? Do I care no? No one should be forced to be around someone toxic.

You honestly didn’t even have to explain why. Just cause’ y’all are related doesn’t mean you’re obligated to go to anything of hers.

No, you were right. People with bad attitudes and toxic personalities will destroy your life. I have a brother like that and the best thing I did for myself was to walk away and never look back.

4 Likes

You were not.

If it isn’t a healthy relationship then you exit it, no matter who it is. Self care isn’t selfish.

2 Likes

Not at all. Cut the toxic people out of your life.

1 Like

So, they’re hurtful people. We don’t have to do stuff that hurts us or be with people who hurt others. Go back to your wonderful life and enjoy the peace:)

2 Likes

Sometimes family can be the most toxic people in your life

Do what’s good for you love
Even if you gotta cut ties and burn bridges

4 Likes

You finally do something for you and don’t let anyone or anything take your thunder in doing what is best for you and keeping yourself swine while the comments start to just simply reply with a ample hope you enjoyed the services because I didn’t hog because this is the shit I was trying to avoid so my sisters day could be about her and her beauty not uss and our issues good day and walk away

Tell them to kiss your butt.

No way Block them All!!! Live your life the way you want

1 Like

Go where you want, when you want. No explanation needed

1 Like

Nope. Just because you get invited doesn’t mean you have to go

1 Like

No! I wouldn’t have gone!

1 Like

I really don’t blame you for skipping the wedding

1 Like

If they can’t see the real her let them get to know her and keep your distance

Just because they’re family, doesn’t mean you have to put up with that toxic behavior. I stopped contacting some of my toxic family members and it’s been amazing. Your sister has a problem with herself that’s why she is trying to put a negative spotlight on you. Shame on your family members that agree with her. That’s a HUGE BUH BUY!!!