We got a new dog and she is not the right fit for our family: Advice?

Have you tried a trainer or anything? You still have until let’s say mid June to try and train the fur baby. If you can’t, like absolutely can’t, rehome the dog to someone that can. But, the doggo deserves a fair shot, if you haven’t tried things and are just gonna give it up then shame on you BUT if you’ve tried things like a trainer, talking with the vet ect and things simply can’t work that’s different and the dog would be better suited with a family who may have experience and could train him/her. If you have tried and still need to rehome, it happens just don’t do it if you haven’t tried to at least correct the behavior, that’s not fair to the pup or your family members. Best of luck xo🖤

1 Like

It takes a lot to own animals on top of being pregnant especially with other kids… I have 3 dogs a 3 year old son and one girl that will be here Tuesday next week. Sometimes a dog isn’t the right fit it doesn’t make you a terrible person, BUT if your SO doesn’t wanna get rid of the dog then there is the problem. Just explain it’s causing unnecessary stress for you and it’s not good for the baby!

With aggressive behavior twords other animals I would be worried about bringing a baby home to it. I would try and find a home with no kids or other animals for her.

3 Likes

I don’t care if I am the unfavorable opinion… a pet is a life long commitment.

8 Likes

If it aint right pass it on to a right one.

Don’t let anyone guilt you into keeping the dog. Not all dogs are right for every family. And while it’s unfortunate for the animal to have to readjust, your family comes first. Your humans are more important than animals. That’s my two cents.
My advice would be

1. find a no kill shelter to surrender
  2. try to rehome it personally.

I find the later to be much harder. Especially, considering you’d have to go public with the fact that you’re rehoming, and you’ll get a ton of unsolicited, rude advice.

*also, don’t feel guilty for not being able to shell out thousands of dollars on a trainer before rehoming.

9 Likes

What is the breed and age of the new dog? Can have a lot to do with it…some dogs are more boisterous than others and have certain behaviours that are instinctual. Our jack russell barks at the air, digs all over the place and although she is younger than our maltese male that we had for 3 years before getting her, she has become the alpha for sure. Puppies are also in need of training more than adult dogs…there’s also a difference between agression and play fighting, mine growl and wrestle when play fighting but never take it too far as they know eachother’s limits but to others that don’t see how our dogs interact take it as aggressive behaviour

These issues are with training and consistency, and are not the animal’s issues. Perhaps you should surrender the animals to a rescue.

2 Likes

You should get rid of all your animal’s. Shame on you

6 Likes

Needs time to adjust and some training perhaps…what u gonna do when that baby disrupts your routine ?? You think he/shes gonna sleep on command??

4 Likes

What breed?
Are they both the same sex?
Is she aggressive to harm or simply just asserting dominance
X

Would you get rid of one of your kids cause it had uncontrollable behaviours? Doubt it

6 Likes

Re-home. It’s not a fit for your family. Just think of it as you fostered them. Just make sure to find that perfect home since you know her behavior

2 Likes

Her family is more important than a dog. Take that dog to the pound

7 Likes

Wow people are really judgey if she takes the time to find a good fit for the dog but attacking her is really not helping

2 Likes

I think you should rehome and not feel guilty about it!! A stressful home isn’t good for anyone, pets or people. Only you know what is right for your family and the new dog will be better off somewhere she truly fits in. Ignore the nasty comments, everyone is entitled to their opinion but kindness goes a long way. Best of luck!!

12 Likes

Train the dog like you did the others

2 Likes

Go ahead and re-home her and ignore anybody who makes you feel bad. Animals are like people. Some are just assholes.

15 Likes

Get a trainer bc a pet is like a kid you dont get rid of one bc its difficult, grow up

2 Likes

Sounds like a human error in not training the dog properly to me … if u don’t want to take the time to train or hire a trainer for the dog then find a new home for it… the dog shouldn’t live in misery and neither should you :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Don’t get rid of your man’s dog. Y’all have to make a mutual decision obviously :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I had a dog once that ruined my house and my other dogs behavior. It’s a dog not a child get a grip! He was rehomed with a perfect loving family and loving life. Not every animal is suited to every situation. Sorry not sorry!

15 Likes

Maybe ask a professional for help. Try a month if no improvement then think about rehoming. Ignore any nasty comments some people just get a kick out of putting others down x

1 Like

First off. Wow adding all that to one self is the first mistake.

Is she adopted? Some adopted dogs take a few months to adjust.

I have a spit fire also that keeps my family is constant dismay. Can I ask what kind of dog is it ? Did you do research before bringing this dog into the family? It may just be a high energy or strong willed breed? If this is the case try a trainer or classes. First but I would say try everything you can before Rehoming them. Or maybe a rescue could help you. They could possibly help with finding a trainer or some good ideas for training.

Not all dogs work in every home. Every dog has to adjust to new surroundings. Try to find a home for the dog perhaps as an only pet. It may be too much for this particular dog. I commend you for trying to do what is right.

2 Likes

Rehome the dog and don’t get another one. It sounds like you don’t have the time or patience to train a dog and just expect a well behaved dog.

9 Likes

If they don’t get along snd the dogs aggressive s new home is probably best with no animals

It’s a dog, not a baby. If you can’t handle this situation now, it’s just a nightmare waiting to happen when you have a newborn to care for. Find a better home, and no guilt, this just isn’t a good fit.

10 Likes

The pet parent equivalent of “ My kid has ADHD let’s throw them on a bunch of drugs or ship them off to a hospital”

1 Like

Get rid of it ASAP. Animals should NOT come above your children. Anybody on here saying otherwise do not value your children’s lives.

9 Likes

I went through literally same scenario. Had my baby and the wild dog and it broke me. We finally rehomed her to a friend and I don’t regret it. I thought I could love any animal and didn’t believe in giving them up but that dog broke me but it took a year and a half.

2 Likes

It’s called train her…

3 Likes

Watch some ceaser Milan episodes. Seriously, it helped me be learn to be calm and assertive not to get angry bc they feed off that.

1 Like

Find her a loving home that is prepared to put the time and energy into her. It’s not fair to your family or the dog

7 Likes

Id never keep a dog that was aggressive now that I have kids. The risk is not worth it in my eyes.

6 Likes

I dont believe in giving up on dogs, but it sounds like you have alot on your plate and adding another animal in general doesnt sound like it would fit your family dynamic. Some breeds are higher energy. You have to take into account age, history and breed. It’s always wise when adopting to bring your current animal before committing. It sounds that you have already made the decision to rehome and just would like some validation. Well I think it would be best that you rehome the pup and dont buy another animal.

6 Likes

Tina Pacey any advice

There are a few things missing. How long ago did you get the dog? How old is the dog? Is there training going on? So many more questions.

2 Likes

it sounds like you’re right, that she’s not the right fit for your family and whatever behavioral issues she has are too much for you to take on right now. make sure you disclose all these issues to the person you rehome her with so they know what to expect and you know they’re ready and able to work with them.

also for the record, some dogs just don’t ever do well in homes with other pets. no matter what. so, don’t let people make you feel like you’re failing her. there’s a reason fosters and reputable shelters send animals home on a trial period.

6 Likes

Maybe a training program of available near you. But honestly would be best to re-home especially if aggrevise towards your other animals. Could become aggressive towards children and adding a new addion may set the down off further. It is heart breaking but your also pregnant and don’t need addional stress

1 Like

Not every dog is the right fit for certain homes. That’s just the truth. People can make you feel like you’re “giving up” or whatever, but there’s no telling if the dog will ever be the right fit, & you don’t have time to stress about that especially with a baby on the way.
Your family is first.
Rehome the pup.
You’re not a villain for wanting to do so. :tipping_hand_woman:t2:

8 Likes

How old is said dog…have you tried professional training

Give her away :woman_shrugging:t4: if you really wanna keep her then hire a trainer.

2 Likes

Anytime you bring a new animal into your home there can be issues. Without knowing the breed of dog or age you left a whole lot out. Also you shouldn’t add a pet when you’re expecting a baby. If you agreed to this dog to begin with that’s on you. I believe when you get a pet it’s for life. I wouldn’t trade any of my animals for the world they are just as important and depend on me just as much as my kids.

4 Likes

And don’t let people tell you you’re “giving up on your dog” as if you getting her re homed is a bad thing.

7 Likes

Did you educate yourself on what type of dog she is?? Train her?! Take time out of your day and get the dog to mold with your family. Don’t get an animal and expect it to just fit in and know what to do etc smh also why would you get a new animal when you have a baby on the way? :woman_facepalming:t2: You dont know this dog and you’re gonna have an untrained animal around your newborn? :grimacing:

10 Likes

Who got the dog? If he did, I’d re-home them so fast, him too if needed, if you all decided on it than you need to work on training. You made a decision to bring a long term commitment into the house and you don’t just dump it when it’s hard.

5 Likes

Train the dog?!? But who knows. Maybe you’ll give the baby away also cause it disturbs your household routine :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

11 Likes

Give her to someone who is better mentally fit to care for her hyper personality or get her into some training

I had to regime a dog with a relative same situation. Got him as a pup he was trained everything was great until he got to around a year old. He would trail my other dog around the garden by his ears. He stopped when told to but would start again as soon as I went inside. I had to keep them separated and felt I had no other option but to regime him as my other dog was suffering mentally. Both dogs were neutered at 6 months old and trained x

You have to bring a new animal in when the baby is born. If the baby is born when the dog has claimed his territory, there’ll be jealousy. Speaking from experience. I had to rehome my dog for this exact reason after 7 years.

5 Likes

Train the dog,obedience school

I say re-home. I hated it, but I had to rehome my pekingese. There wasn’t a huge age difference between her and my chihuahua and the pekingese would bark endlessly and increase the anxiety level of my home. I had her for a year too.

3 Likes

Best thing to do would be to surrender the dog to your local humane society, if its from a rescue then it has to go back to them. Rehoming the dog yourself isn’t the greatest idea. I work at a humane society and it happens a lot where the owner can’t handle the animal or care for the animal. We do ccap checks, vet checks, if you own your house unless you rent then we call the landlord, our shelter check, and whether or not the animal is right for you.

6 Likes

It is definitely not anything to be ashamed of to admit that she isnt the perfect fit for your family. I would definitely try to rehome her before your baby came. Maybe she would be a better fit as the only pet with teenagers that have constant energy to do things with her. Some dogs require constant attention, while others not so much. I am sure you will find the perfect family for her!

2 Likes

It takes a dog 6 months to adjust to a new home completely, may need more time but if you are sure she’s to much a recommend giving her back to whoever she came from or contacting a rescue to help you get her a different home.

8 Likes

We had the situation we had our two shih tzus that were older for like 10 years and no problems we got a puppy cocker spaniel and it was just craziness she was making the two older dogs fight and then she would jump in or she would be getting in a fight with one of them and beating them up because she’s younger and bigger and it was just hectic so we had to find her a new home sadly

1 Like

If it was me, I would rehome the dog. Someone without kids or other pets might fall in love with her and she’d be the perfect fit for them. She’s not the perfect fit for your family, though.

7 Likes

Try obedience classes first, if that works out keep her, if not then talk about re-homing her to someone you know who wants a dog? If no luck then take her back to the rescue place. It might take her and the other animals days/weeks/months to get comfortable in a new home with the other animals?

5 Likes

If you can stick it out, obedience training may help. If not bring the dog back to the rescue/re home.

4 Likes

If you got her from a rescue please return her to rescue. It’s usually in their contract. If not and you rehome her then please charge a rehoming fee and do a home check of who she’ll be going to.

1 Like

You can either take her to the shelter or put her up for adoption.

Rehome that dog before your baby is born.

3 Likes

Make sure you give enough time for them to adjust before you take her back

3 Likes

Dog Training 101: Community Forum is one of many groups. I am a member of several that may be able to help! Dont give up! Pm me and I’ll get you the rest! Too many people just give up on pets.

If you give up on one, honestly, get rid of them all.

1 Like

HAVE YOU TRIED ACTUAL REAL IN PERSON TRAINING CLASSES???

What’s her breed? Did u do any research on her breed. Are you exercising her? Walking her, playing with her? Does she have plenty of toys?

It sounds like your used to lazy not active dogs.

Just like children every dog is different.
You won’t just abandoned your child because it’s not acting right. Give the puppy a chance.
Also it take multiple months for a new dog to adjust to their new life.

Important take away
Training and exercise plenty of activities to do to her busy.
And give the puppy some love and affection.

5 Likes

What will you do with your new baby if he/she grows up to disrupt your life ? You would do anything and everything to help your child fit in and change behaviours that are unacceptable in your family. The day you purchased that dog which is now your family member is the day you committed to having it for life. Go get some professional training and suck it up cause you have this dog for the next 15+ years. Not all dogs come in perfect little packages to suit you and your lifestyle

7 Likes

i’m a pet lover but i will not compromise my home and my family with that kind of pet.period

3 Likes

I hope your new baby doesn’t disturb your life? Of so please surrender your baby

2 Likes

Personally I would re-home the dog ASAP.
Don’t even care about the backlash that my statement will receive. Simplify before your baby gets here. Get your life back on track. There is a better fit out there somewhere for this dog. Good luck!!

5 Likes

Sounds like you don’t need another animal in your home if you can’t handle an animal that isn’t what you’re used to. You can’t expect all animals to be the same.

19 Likes

I have mixed feelings about this post but since we dont have all the details like if proper research was done about the compatibility of the two dog breeds and the age of the dog, I wont judge. In this case I would rather sympathize since I am also pregnant. You honestly dont need this kind of stress at this stage. Having to deal with hormones, planning for new baby, staying healthy during pandemic times and now fighting over a dog wont do your health and unborn baby any good. Rather rehome the dog, forget about getting a new dog for at least another year and focus on your pregnancy and family. I really do hope hubby will support you with this.

How long have you had her? How old is she?
You gotta give her time?
Maybe taking another animal on now when ur pregnant is not what is best for you or the dog
Not all dogs are the same

I’ve had 2 dogs who literally hated each other when we got the 2nd one but after some time they now are stuck to each other 24-7

4 Likes

Poor dog. When you take a dog in it should be family. You don’t just give away a family member. I have 3 rescues. All are mild and easy going. I then got a Yorkie too. Wow. Talk about disruptive and picking on the others. And he’s tiny. I did not even consider getting rid of him. I trained him. It takes time and patience and consistency. I see dogs like kids. If one of my kids is way more to handle than the others I’m not going to just throw in the towel.

3 Likes

It sounds like you’ve tried hard. Rehome her, I pray you find the family that she will fit with perfectly. :heart:

1 Like

,rehome in a home without other animals. She will be a different dog

1 Like

For barking I would suggest a bark collar especially if she is not kennel trained and that is where she is kept. It takes animals about 3 months sometimes longer to get use to our family routines before they become accustomed. I would also recommend high energy play in the evenings to help settle her and work on training.

1 Like

Please join Reactive and Aggressive Dog Support Group LOTS of wonderful people with great advice!! If you rehome, please surrender to a rescue rather than on your own. They have the resources and knowledge to work with behaviors. Best of luck!

Depends on how long you have had the dog. It takes time to adjust. As well as has the dog had previous training with last owners? I would look into training before rehoming your new dog.

1 Like

Place her with a different home if possible. One where she is the only animal. Good luck

1. not re-home shouldn’t have gotten her to begin with but now she’s there and she’s family
  2. get a trainer or send her to a training to work on the things yall need help with her for.
2 Likes

My last two dogs have been rescue dogs and neither of them settled straight away it takes a good six to eight months for a dog to settle and that demands a good training regime for it to work.
There’s no shame in admitting that you can’t handle it the shame comes when you don’t do something positive about it.
Rehome it urgently and don’t use pregnancy as an excuse just learn from it.

1 Like

Please don’t give her away to just anyone. It take 3 months for them to decompress to find out if even they are the right fit

1 Like

3 3 3 rule with adopting a dog

Have you tried getting her into obedience classes or putting her up for adoption

The dog would have to be rehomed .

3 Likes

It may feel the negative I feel sorry for the dog. .

3 Likes

Not all dogs are the same.

3 Likes

I know its harsh but find her a new good home :house_with_garden:

1 Like

Find the dog a new loving home apparently you arent the right fit …You sound like you just cant handle the sitiation.
I hope you dont have issues with the new baby disrupting your life …This is why people make me sick …You dont give up on people or animals unless they are a harm to your life . Dogs bark …The dog is adjusting …probably doesnt like you either …unreal …ps your significant other should go with the dog …

11 Likes

Sounds like a lack of training and time spent with her, as well as poor planning. Get a bark collar. It goes on the throat and when she barks it’ll use a dog whistle to stop her from barking. Crate her at night and get a separate crate for a “time out” space when she’s being aggressive. Did you have a meet and greet with her before you adopted her? Did your other animals meet her before you brought her home? Try spending time with her separately, without the other animals and do some one on one time with her.

3 Likes

Take it for training. All dogs need to be trained

2 Likes

Seriously? You do know house training takes time right? Did you really think you would bring another dog into the house and nothing whatsoever would change? You’re about to have a new baby. That baby is not going to stick to such a strict routine. Are you just gonna get rid of the baby because of that? People need to stop treating animals like they are disposable.

1 Like

Would of never gotten another animal

3 Likes

This is why idiots don’t deserve animals give her to someone that can accept her for her you’re a pos and don’t ever get another animal for the sake of that animal maybe in July u realize the new baby isn’t a good fit and rehome it elsewhere too

Rehome her, she’s probably stressed and not feeling the environment either 🤷

2 Likes

That’s something you should have researched BEFORE you got a dog. Now either you’re going to get rid of a dog because you failed to see if it would work or treat her like family and adjust.

2 Likes

You should look into some training for the dog. Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of activities to change a dog’s habits. If you were near me I’d offer to help, ( not licensed in any way, but grew up my whole life raising dogs of just about every breed big to small).