We got a new dog and she is not the right fit for our family: Advice?

Take her to the humane society don’t try to do it on your own!!

1 Like

I sure hope the baby is a good fit.

Drop her like a 3 foot putt!

get rid the dog or leave. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I know the feeling. We took on a rescue yorkie who had it very rough. She was so scared wen we got her. Skip a year and things going well with her and 2 other big dogs that stayed outside. We decide to get a rescue pekingese. This lil boy is absolute spitfire. He starts fights all the time. He loves escaping places. He wont stop peeing on our bed which drives me mad. But I cant give him up. Hes a royal ass with horrid temper so I dnt think any1 will take him. So I live with him and love him the same as the rest cos we took him on and hes family so hel stay no matter wat.

What have u really tried

Someone will take her. Let them.

1 Like

Hello everyone I really want to appreciate this great man called Dr lucky who helped me bring back my ex lover within 48 hours I really thank him he is the best and the fastest spell caster among other spell casters Dr lucky wipe away my tears and today I and my lover is living together happily. If you are out there looking for help or any other solution to your problems like: 1) Love Spells
2) Lost Love Spells
3) Divorce Spells
4) Marriage Spells
5) Binding Spell.
6) Breakup Spells
7) Banish a past Lover
8.) You want to be promoted in your office/ Lottery spell
9) want to satisfy your lover
Contact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solution Redirecting...

I feel this so hard. We recently got my husband a boxer puppy and he’s fucking insane. We have been trying to work with him, but he’s quite frankly an asshole. He’s a puppy though and very high energy so we are trying to work thru it and are going to hire a dog trainer to come to our house soon. We have three other dogs that are all amazing and do well together. But this boy… he’s constantly trying to “play” really rough especially with my pug pup who he could literally eat in one bite if given the chance. Just keep working with her, we have seen small improvements with working with our boy but it’s taking a lot of work. I’m also pregnant with our 8th child also due in July. It’s exhausting. We keep him separate from the other dogs (with a gate) so he can see the other dogs but not physically touch them also. And at night we have to give him calming treats to help him mellow out (we are crate training him at night and he goes absolutely crazy In his kennel howling and barking if we don’t give him the calming treats). I’ll also say it took trying like 20 different kinds of calming treats to find one that actually worked for him.

My husband used to tell me that I loved the thought of a puppy, not an actual puppy. I guess I was just so tired from working and being a mom that I got frustrated so quickly when trying to train a dog. I’ve actually grown a lot more calm with age and have recently adopted a dog as well. This time, I went with a tea cup breed (teddy bear). Which is what I’ve always wanted to begin with. Last night was the first night in a week that she didn’t keep all of us up from barking out of loneliness. I’m taking my time with her and she’s small enough for me to handle her easy. Much different from our other dogs that have been bigger than me. I’m 85lbs! I haven’t gotten frustrated with her at all and she’s been doing wonderful with the potty pad and crate training. Try to have a little patience, or find her a home that fits her.

1 Like

I hated all our animals when I was pregnant. My husband was really disturbed by it because it was so out of character for me. As soon as I had the baby I loved them again. It was very weird. Your husband needs to step in and train the dog and exercise it. A tired dog is a good dog.

4 Likes

Hope it all goes well with your baby and you don’t have to rehome it if it happens to disrupt your bed time 🤦I said what I said don’t bother replying I don’t care won’t read any I’m not the one asking for advice 🤷maybe it just needs love and patience pets can feel when they aren’t wanted

7 Likes

I understand your feelings completely, but before rehoming I would honestly seek out a trainer first. See if they can help. Some dogs are harder to train than others. And some dogs have different needs so when they’re not met you see it come out as behavior issues. For example “working” dog breeds need 2+ hours of strenuous physical activity…when they get that they often calm down a lot inside the home.
A trainer can help identify her needs, how to meet them, and help find the best methods to use for training her.

If that fails then yes, for your guys’ sake and the dogs rehoming to a better fit would probably be best. Just be careful about who you rehome her to and make sure she is a good fit for the person and vice versa.

1 Like

Animals take up to 3 months to settle, you also need to get in a trainer or behaviourist. Just like a child, you’d go to a pead, get help for this dog before you sell it on/abandon, put it rescue

Try to give it some more time. If the dog is out of control try a trainer. Or your husband needs to step in and handle the dog. I’m surprised that neighbors haven’t complained about barking at night (unless you live in the country) , mine sure did. If you cant make the time for the dog I don’t understand why y’all added another in the 1st place with you pregnant and all.

Please don’t turn her to a shelter reach out to dog Facebook groups and see if anyone can help rehome her you don’t sound like the right home fore her sake and it is responsible of you understand that

Your dog may have anxiety. My dog went thru the 20 hours a straight barking and we’ve had him since 6 weeks old. The vet told us he had anxiety. The training somewhat helped but the anxiety is a lifesaver. This took about 7 years to finally get it to where he at. My dog is now an 7 yr old pit and I wouldn’t trade him for the world. He is so patient and so good with our son who is 6. They grew up with each other🥰

Are you serious? Duh he’s new to
your home and it takes them a while to
adjust and not all
animals are the same😡

2 Likes

Get a trainer to come into your home. Also you and your husband need to enforce that you are the dominant leaders of the house. This sounds like a dog, who was able to establish dominance from lack of proper training and expectation that they’d fall right into line with the other dog. I have been where you are and an in home trainer was amazing for us, especially since the large dog we took in was 1.5 years old and was constantly crated and not allowed to be a dog.

1 Like

Be the example your kids would want to see , not to just throw something away when it isn’t working out …but to take time and make it work !! If u do decide to give this poor dog away please do the world a favour and never buy yourself animal again

3 Likes

Rehome. You have a baby coming if he’s aggressive it might not be safe

7 Likes

It takes 3 weeks for a new pet to feel safe and three months to feel loved and you may not see their true personality for a full year. We adopted a bratty ginger last August who would start fights with out dog, wouldnt walk on a leash, cried when the kids touched her. Now she tucks the kids into bed, walks on the leash like a champ, takes most commands better then our other dog. The only command she has trouble with is the return command because she gets so excited

3 Likes

I’m also due in July and I wouldn’t have got a new dog to adjust to right before a new baby as well…poor dog :confused: I’d give her a chance. All living things have their quirks. My cats meow in the stairway at 5 am every morning for absolutely nothing, just to hear it echo I guess. There’s no way I’m giving them to anyone though

4 Likes

Get her fixed it normally calms dong down a bit and talk to the vet they have meds too that will help

1 Like

We had the exact issues! I was due in August and our newest dog was just awful. But we pushed through it, now our daughter is 7 months and our last dog is a little over a year and he is much better! His behavior might be off put by the fact that you are pregnant.

Lol commands respected. There’s a rude awakening blooming in your belly. Sounds like a tight ship that’s going to be rocked really soon. For a loooonnng time.

7 Likes

Buy vitachews. You can get them from a bet or Amazon sells them. They are natural vitamins for animals that help relive stress and anxiety. Has been a lifesaver for us. Our puppy will be 2 and has bad anxiety this has helped tremendously

I was given an older dog that the owner didn’t want anymore. I’ve had him for a couple years and nothing has changed. He barks a anyone and everything.

You cant expect every animal to act the same. For you to have this ridiculous expectation for the dog isnt fair to her at all…give her to a better family.

7 Likes

Is the new dog a puppy or an older rescue? How long have you given the new dog to learn your household routines? Either way, it sounds like the dog and the humans in this situation could use some training. No dog comes into a new situation ready to fall in line. It takes time for a dog of any age to adjust. Maybe have times when the new dog is around one animal at a time. Your dog and cat already have a bond/ pack dynamic. It’s not easy for them to accept a new animal into that.

6 Likes

Get a bark collar, and perhaps give it some time and maybe training

You sound delightful.
Dogs bark, they chew, they play, they get into mischief. It’s your duty as their owner to train them or find them a perfect home where their new owner can have some respect and love for them. She doesn’t deserve to deal with you.

Mine bark, mine get into things, and some days I wanna strangle them but they’re staying until they die. They’re my little pains.

4 Likes

Maybe you disrupted the dogs life. What was her home life like before you? Did she come from a good or bad situation? Is she a puppy or an adult? There are many different reasons she could be acting out, or this could be normal for her age and breed. She is now in a new home with new people, scents, and animals. It all takes time to get used to. You can’t expect to take on an animal and have them be perfect. They take time, love, patience, and dedication. There are many things you can do before getting “rid” of her if you haven’t already-classes, trainers, 1:1 time working with her, etc. If you don’t have the ability to provide those things don’t take on another animal. And if you truly don’t think you can work with her to provide her what she needs then you should rehome her for her sake.

5 Likes

Wonder what you’ll do if the new baby is a spitfire and disrupts the entire family dynamic. My second and third kid literally made wonder if my womb was really a portal from hell. But I love them all the same and I’ll never worry about anyone ever taking advantage of them. Plus I’m pretty sure they will rule the world by age 10. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Try obedience training. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

I would think long and hard about whether I can handle a dog acting like a dog before adding one to the family… if you cant, don’t get one…

4 Likes

Oh the hell! Best give the kid to a really nice shelter.

3 Likes

Get a trainer and behaviorist. :man_shrugging:t2: Actually put some effort into working with what’s going on with the dog… If you can’t find, find someone who can. Dogs bark and get into things, teach them not to… If you can’t handle a dog having dog like behaviors don’t get a dog

Rehome the dog. Let’s just keep it real.

6 Likes

Give him time. He’s in a new confusing environment. Or hire a trainer. He’s adjusting to a new situation.

I really hope you are aware that children also have different personalities cause if your not your in for a rude awakening.

3 Likes

You asked “what would you do in this situation?”
Which is why I’m confused about people going off for others opinions. Well, I would realize that like people, animals have their own personalities. If I had two children, and decided to adopt another, not knowing what they’ve been through, and I decided I didn’t like this adopted child bc she doesn’t behave like my other children, I’d say find an actual loving home for her.
Just an analogy for those “they are not kids” people. My rescue dog chewed up my blow dryer, my vacuum cleaner, ate a hole through my mattress when I first got him. He barked and would chase our cat, but I never once thought, I’ll just get rid of you and I had four children.
6 years he’s been with me and he’s the best trained dog. Bc I put in the hard work and effort. You can’t expect everything to move with your expectations, sometimes you have to work for your expectations. If a dog disrupts your relationship, I have some bad news for when the baby comes. None of your expectations will be met. Your routine will not exist. Your house is about to be disrupted lol.
She’s a dog, and all you’ve mentioned are things that come from…being a dog. In your defense, it seems like the dog being there is the work of your husband. If this is the case, maybe he should be putting in some of the effort to train the dog instead of adding it to your plate? Still not the dogs fault. If he’s not willing to help with a dog, the dog isn’t the problem.

6 Likes

So all y’all people comparing the dogs personality to a child’s are total dipshits. For the safety of the new baby, try behavior training but be aware that all that can go out the window when new baby gets here. Some dogs tend to act out when a new member such as a baby comes along and simply refuse to act right until they are the baby once again. To homing the dog may be in the best interest for your family

5 Likes

Too many people just give up on animals. They are very much like children and need work and attention. Training school will help. Please don’t give up just because the dog doesn’t ‘fit’ into your family dynamic initially :woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

He won’t he’ll go to Toms

Some dogs need more attention, training etc then others, so I definitely wouldn’t expect the new dog to act like your others do. Look into getting them a trainer or your SO taking extra time out to train the dog so that you can be/feel more comfortable in your home. Especially with a little one on the way. Definitely don’t bring them to a shelter if you ultimately decide on rehoming at least make sure they’re going to a good one.

I have a border collie, my daughter got one as a pup got fantastically together then she got a Welsh board cross mine gots on with her fine but the pup and my daughters first have their moments bounce of the bloody walls at times while playing then another day fight. All 3 have been to 1 to 1 training then all together and it wasn’t cheap but helped loads with the 2 my dsutgher as mine that laid back they walk all over him. We even had a rabbit the oldest 2 would play with the rabbit but the pup would have eaten him alive. Every dog is different very rare you get 2 the same even from the same litter. I have my daughters dogs bit would not change them for the world they all have something diffrent to give and we love them all for thst alone

It sounds like you already have you hands full. Give the dog to a better home where he can thrive.

I honestly had the same problem during pregnancy and I rehomed the puppy. It worked out for all of us.

People comparing animals to children :woman_facepalming:t2:

Animals are NOT children

I have 3 kids , 2 dogs and a cat - they all get on well which is great

We did have a dog once which was not a good fit for our family at all so we rehomed to another family who could give the dog what he needed.
Any dog that showed aggression in our house wouldn’t be staying end of story

My advice would be get a professional trainer in first see if you can help the dog to adjust - if that doesn’t work then find a new home

6 Likes

I have 4 dogs. Originally, we started with a pair of shelter dogs. Small, older, Yorkie mixes. Calm, chill, small, great with kids, potty trained. Fast forward 2 years and we got 2 kittens. No issues at all. A year later, we acquired a 3 year old female lab pit mix. Sweet dog, great with the kids, very playful. Constant barking, not leash trained, not house broken. Her previous owner would leave her inside, home, all day while at work and when she’d take her out to the bathroom, would stand right with her holding the leash. Not how its done in my house. We have 3 acres and I let my dogs out free, they do their thing and come back inside. We first started crate training her and putting her out on a dog run. Than we started training her to go out and come back with the other dogs. We also had to train her not to steal food from peoples plates. It took about 3 months to undo all her bad habits. And the constant barking was because she needed exercise, interaction and stimulation. We than got a 6 week old puppy and he was so much easier to train. Consistency, training, and lots of positive reinforcement. Cookies (dog treats) and chewy toys go a long way for my more energetic dogs. I’d also look into crate training. Buy a crate just big enough for the dog to turn around in. Put a dog bed in the bottom. And crate them at night or when you’re not home. Just make sure you send them to the bathroom right before crating and as soon as you uncrate them. My 4 go right to their crates when I let them in at 10 pm and stay there til I get up at 5 am. I don’t even have to close the doors. They also go right in when they hear my keys or when I start serving dinner. A little training and patience now will make all the difference.

2 Likes

Re-home the dog, you already have alot going on.

Aint you dumb heavily pregnant and decide you want a dog well done dumbass

It’s hard. I have giant breeds. I have 3 great danes and a mastiff. My smallest dog is 115lbs. All trained to the T. Perfect buttholes. I started dating my boyfriend and he has a POS Yorkie. She is 4 and he has never trained this stupid thing. I despise this dog to the point of almost breaking up with him… She isn’t potty trained, doesn’t come when you call, food aggressive. And over all stupid… Well it’s been 7 months of her living with me and me working with her and she isn’t as bad. I still have days I fantasize about dropping her off on the side of the road but it gets better.

6 Likes

Get a trainor n also think if the breed(I didn’t see if u mentioned it) because certain breeds it’s in their nature to be crazy but even old dogs can learn new tricks we have a husky who is crazy n it took 3 weeks whn we moved for him to stop howling I am also due in July have a toddler n am a stay at home mom just like kids u have to out the time in n have to introduce the new dog to the other animals n as many ppl may be against it crate training works n u cna always ease out if it

Oh honey. You got spoiled with you non-barking, not getting up at the crack of dawn other ones. But dogs are like people. They all have different personalities, some require more training than others… if you don’t have the time or patience to train your new baby, then you shouldn’t have brought the new baby home.

9 Likes

She needs more time and love and affection please bare with her you can also take time to train her or get some professional help maybe some training. Please dont give up on her. Also this is practice for when you have your child… and maybe the belly is getting to you and your grouchy lol give time.

Honestly been there (without the pregnancy) but we got a dog and she just didn’t fit with our family. We were stressed and she was stressed. You have to do what’s best for ALL involved. Doggy as well. The dog we re-homed is thriving with her new family and the little pup we got instead is a perfect fit for us. Why keep the dog is no-one is happy (and yes we tried all the training classes and advice. It Just wasn’t a good fit)

2 Likes

You need to prepare for that. Animals are a lot of work. Give it time. I have 5 kids, 3 cats and 2 dogs. It’s not easy. Relax and take it one day at a time. You buy that animal you invest in it it’s whole life.

4 Likes

Will you do the same to your child? You don’t like them, they rebel, rehome them :woman_shrugging:t2: screw what people say!

OR she could take her responsibility seriously and take the dog and have it trained :roll_eyes: Exhaust every option, do her research on the breed.

10 Likes

You have to give the animals some time to adjust to your home. It may take several months. Just be patient

She needs to go like yesterday

1 Like

So because this dog isn’t trained or used to your “dynamic” you want to get rid of it? How is that fair to the dog?? It’s in a new environment with new people and other animals. You can’t expect it to be perfect from the jump. Train the dog. I have 6 large breed dogs, two cats and a guinea pig and I’m due in October. There’s no reason why you can’t train the dog.

9 Likes

It’s probably best to re-home the dog. Everyone would be much happier, including the dog, especially if she gets with a family where she fits in better.

4 Likes

Get a trainer. Period.

I got this and with in the first 2 clicks our problem “child” yippy yorkie palm mix had got in line.

Either get a trainer or rehome the dog to someone who can love it…

2 Likes

The 3-3-3 dog rule is a general guideline of when a rescue dog will adjust to his new home. Every dog is unique and will adjust differently. Some will follow the 3-3-3 rule to a tee, others will take 6 months or a full year to feel completely comfortable. Give your dog space and allow him to go at his own pace.

1 Like

You train the dog… or don’t purchase an animal if you’re not prepared to train it and keep it. Did your children and other pets meet the dog before taking it home?

2 Likes

Suck it up since you agreed to add another dog.

I would rehome her.
Bad timing on your part with a baby coming and maybe this dog just isn’t the right fit for your family.

3 Likes

I worked with humane societies for a good while. It’s OK to admit that you have a dog that you can’t handle. It’s actually pretty common. This is why now we do home checks and pet meet and greet! The ONLY way you could be wrong is if you let the dog end up in irresponsible hands! Get her fixed and up to date on all shots and find her a new home. Or find a humane society and pay the intake fee and let them do the rest!

5 Likes

All our pets turned our house into chaos when they first came. It’s a change and they need to adjust.

I have 4 kids 7 and under and 2 big dogs. One is calm and the other is complete hyper and psycho but we aren’t getting rid of him that’s just who he is. You need to accept who the dog is

We were in the same boat.
Tried to find a good home…tbe longer we kept her, the harder it was to give her up. She’s still not good with the other dog but we’ve worked things out. I couldn’t imagine her in a cage at a shelter wait ing. It takes work bit I’m glad she’s still our dog.

Maybe she doesn’t like you because she can sense you don’t like her? Idk
Maybe you shouldn’t own animals… they are supposed to be forever homes… you should have gotten to know this pup before you took it home.

4 Likes

I agree with others who say rehome the dog. She needs a family that would be a better fit.

1 Like

If she’s not the right fit she’s not the right fit. But like humans…no dog is the same. So if you think that don’t do this again. Lol.
But if everyone’s miserable it’s in the dogs best interest to find a stronger handler. Sooner the better so dog isn’t super attached. Training and if not fixed both need to happen.

1 Like

Train the friggen dog. Spend the money on a professional. It’s not a matter of her not fitting in. It’s a matter of helping her fit in. It also the a dog a while to figure out routines and their place in a pack, so take the time to teach her.

2 Likes

Either get some paid training or find a new home for that dog.

Rehome the dog. Been there. Had a pitbull dropped off at our house. Was not a good fit for us. Super hyper…had stomach issues and needed a special diet
.slobbered everywhere. Rehomed him to a farmer with 30 acres for him to roam and a barn to sleep in. Do what you gotta do. Just make sure goes to good people that know about the dog’s traits before send them to the new home

I recommend watching Me or the dog …they have a page on Facebook and it’s about a trainer who helps families with bad dog behavior… I have used some of her tricks and it worked for my dog… try it ,you don’t have to pay a penny ,just have to invest a little time.

She needs to be trained. Sign up for some classes or something.

Your going to get alot of mixed reviews from people. I think anon homed this dog with purest intentions as alot of fur families do, fulling intending to ‘train’ it or ’ suck it up’ but she’s being really courageous by admitting it’s not working for her family. She clearly has pets and understands the work that goes into and it just happens this time it’s not working the same.
Maybe looking at other options such as professional trainer could be an option resulting in rehoming being last resort. Regardless of your decision I wish you luck and sending lots of de-stressing vibes.
Our dog is coming up 8 and she was a handful alright at first, we stuck through it with a lot of tears, anger and fustration but in saying that we only had the one pup. She’s calmed down considerably now and just gets bored. We try our best and it’s all you can do.
The me or the dog facebook group recommendation may be a good bit of advice and things you could try yourself. Good luck :heart:

1 Like

Not every animal has the same personality. It takes a lot of time for a new animal to understand a new environment and how the routine works. It means a lot of your time to invest in training. Try using the treat method to praise for good behaviour. Have you tried getting a professional trainer involved? I mean rehoming should be your last resort.

If the dog is aggressive I would be worried about it being aggressive towards a new comer like your baby. Not every animal will fit in with your family. That’s why most adoption agencies will do a walk through with the dog and do follow ups.

The dog isn’t a “bad dog” necessarily, you just have to understand where the aggression is coming from to be able to control it more. My guess would be a jealousy issue or either the new dog trying to show that it’s the alpha, when it all seriousness YOU have to become the alpha and let the dog know it’s boundaries. If you aren’t familiar with how to train the dog I would highly suggest finding a training program in your area.

3 Likes

What kind of dog is it? How old?

i want to tell the world about the great and mighty spell caster called Priest gorvo my wife was cheating on me and no longer committed to me when i asked her what the problem was she told me she has fell out of love for me and wanted a divorce i was so heart broken i cried all day and night but she left home i was looking for something online when i saw an article how the great and powerful Priest gorvo have helped so many in similar situation like mine he email address was there so i sent him an email telling him about my problem he told me she shall return back to me within 74hrs i did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise my love came back home and was crying and begging for me to forgive and accept her back he can also help you you can contact him via email [email protected] Or you can also WhatsApp him on +2349039343473

I hope your new baby fits your family. You get a fur baby it’s for life. I guess if your baby and fur baby just dont fit in your family you can just get rid of both of them. Two for one. Irresponsible animal owner’s.

3 Likes

Consult a trainer. Until you’ve taken her to the vet to rule out anything medical, consulted a trainer, made adjustments, meds if necessary you have not done everything.

Rehoming animals because they are sometimes challenging isn’t okay. Kids are challenging as hell, you just gonna rehome them?

Maybe shouldn’t have gotten the extra work of another animal in the first place …

Fur babies are supposed to be treated like your kids. They need time and training just like people to adjust. And you can’t compare the new dog like the ones you have. Maybe the dog feels how you don’t like it. He or she may be crying out for attention. You have to stop and think of how you are making the dog feel like. Dogs are alot of work just as kids are. I can’t stop thinking about how that poor dog is feeling like. It sounds like you want a perfect quite dog and that’s not logical.

1 Like

Some of these comments are just unbelievably rude. If your dog is causing that much of a disturbance and you’ve done everything you personally think you can, rehome him. I’m sorry but dogs are not children, not even close. So the fact that people are trying to compare the two and make you feel guilty about it is asinine. Do what is best for you, your family and everyones sanity. Good luck :black_heart:

1 Like

Did you get from a rescue you can always return it better to return to rescue or shelter

1 Like

I LITERALLY was in the EXACT same situation as you…like I’m pregnant and am due in July too and we got a dog that almost cost me my marriage!! We just rehomed him and he is soooo happy and in love with his new family. I thought my son would take it hard but he has been just fine and my relationship with my husband is right back on track…I hope y’all figure it out but I definitely suggest rehoming, if you’re not happy the dogs not happy either :woman_shrugging:t3:

If you can’t afford a trainer then I’d rehome it. I made the mistake of keeping my food aggressive dog and it ended up biting my toddler in his belly as he passed his bowl. Thankfully , they had a rescue so the gm dog wasn’t put down. Plus my sons wound wasn’t that deep. Thank goodness. So… you don’t want that to happen… don’t let it go to far. Protect the baby … you need peacefulness and to be assured everything’s going to be safe.

Hire a trainer. Give it time and routine.

Brook Benson thoughts?